Lisa's Favorite Sites

Do the Line, Bob!

Bob Barker, who's retiring as host of the daytime game show "The Price is Right," stopped by Winter TV Press Tour 2007 to take questions from critics and one wondered why a 35-year-old show hosted by the 83-year-old Barker is so popular among college kids.

" 'Happy Gilmore' helped," Barker said.

"I don't tape a show -- I was in that movie 10 years ago -- that someone in the audience doesn't bring up 'Happy Gilmore.'

" 'Did you like beating up Adam Sandler?' and 'How was it to beat up Adam Sandler?' They loved that movie, particularly young men. Then they will say, 'Do the line, Bob! Do the line!' ...The line they want me to do -- after I finished him off, I said, 'The price is right, bitch.'

"They loved that. And so, when they come to the show ... they will start saying 'Bob, do the line.' and I say, 'Oh, I don't talk that way in real life. That was acting on the highest order.'

" 'Do the line. Do the line!' They go on and on.

"So then I'll say, ' ["The Price is Right" associate producer] Kathy Greco over here is a lady of good taste ... if she says no, I won't do it.' Then I turn to Kathy and ... she pretends she wasn't paying any attention. I'll say, 'These people, they're nagging me, they want me to say, 'The price is right, bitch!' She says, 'Oh, no, no.' Then they scream. They love it.

"Or, I'll say to the stage manager, 'How much time do we have?' He'll say, 'Ten seconds.' I'll say, 'Only 10 seconds? I don't have time to say, the price is right, bitch!'

"I've been in television for 50 years, and what am I going to be remembered for? 'The price is right, bitch!' -- if I'm remembered at all."

By Lisa de Moraes  |  January 19, 2007; 1:20 AM ET
Categories:  Winter TV Press Tour 2007
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Donald
Next: Chris Rocks the Critics

Comments

Growing up I remember watching The Price is Right at 11 a.m. on sick days or holidays or days when I didn't have to go to summer camp. In college, sometimes I'd catch it when I had a break between classes or when I cut class. I associate Bob Barker and the Price is Right with carefree days off.

I think that's why college kids love it. Bob and the show have been on reliably every weekday at 11 a.m. for their entire lives and aside from the gray hair, it hasn't changed that much. In a crazy world, there is something to be said for that kind of stability.

PS - My favorite pricing game is Plinko.

Posted by: Kelly | January 19, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I retired in July last year and before that I had a stock answer for people who ask me "What will you do?" I was quick to say "Every week day at eleven the Price is Right is on."

I don't watch it every day, but once in a while and am happy to get the last months of Bob. He is really great. I feel like I am tapping into a generation that we will not see again.

Posted by: Gary Masters | January 19, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Why do I like "The Price is Right"? It's the insipid music that draws me back...year after year.

Posted by: infoshaman | January 19, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Whoda thunk that Barker would outlive not one, but two TPIR announcers?

BTW, his scene in Happy Gilmore made that movie.

Posted by: BF | January 19, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Many years ago, my friends and I would go to what we considered marginal movies at the $1.50 movie theater, to see if we could find at least $1.50 worth of entertainment in it (a tradition that started with Stallone's The Specialist (flaming flying crabs are worth a buck)).

Bob Barker alone was worth the price of admission and more on Happy Gilmore night!

Posted by: OrganicGal | January 19, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

In elementary school in the mid 70s we had a "half day" camp that got us home by 11:30am every day. In high school I had a job where I left the house at noon. during every summer of my whole life I remember watching the Price is Right. Every time I tune in and the games are the same and the sets remain nearly unchanged, I'm reminded how wonderful show business can be. Bob will undoubtedly outlive us all.

Posted by: Bethesdan | January 19, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Funny. That earns Barker and his crew some style points in my book. Good for them. When I was a kid we used to watch the show in the summer.

Posted by: Batocchio | January 19, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Since I watched the French version to improve my French and learn prices in francs, I wonder how many immigrants to the U.S. learn how much Rice A Roni is by watching Bob.

Posted by: DC | January 20, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I always like the insipid fake alpine music for that one game with the mountain climber -- Cliff Hangers!

Posted by: The San Francisco Treat | January 24, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse