This is Dedicated to the One I Love

Which is worse, four hours of movie stars thanking their agents and publicists at the Academy Awards or two hours of "American Idol" guy contestants dedicating their performances to mom, dad and grandma?

In their defense, the "Idol" guys were told they had to dedicate their songs to someone.

Phil Stacey dedicates his song, "Missing You" to his Navy buddies. Judge Randy Jackson yo yo-s it. Paula Abdul can hear him on the radio and Simon Cowell calls it "completely unoriginal" and "very good karaoke."

Jared Cotter dedicates his song -- "Let's Get it On" -- to his mom and dad because, he says, they're the reason he's here. Randy thinks it's "kinda hot." Paula says it's the "kind of song you don't have to push on, no pun intended." Simon likens it to a cabaret singer on "The Love Boat."

AJ Tabaldo dedicates his song to his mom and dad, "Feelin' Good." Randy pronounces it "Kind of nice, baby." Paula says he had a real, real, real, real good voice. Simon calls it "actually, nearly very good."

Sanjaya Malakar dedicates his song,"Steppin' Out with My Baby," to his grandfather who died when he was five years old. He is dressed in what looks like his granddad's hat, shirt and pants. Randy calls it "really weird" and a "bad high school talent show." Paula suggests he pick songs that "celebrate your youth." But Simon says it best, calling it "like a ghastly lunch where, after your lunch, your parents have asked the children to dress up and sing, and not particularly liked what they heard."

Ryan asks Chris Sligh how he gets that whole Shirley Temple hair thing going. Chris says it involves putting as much conditioner in it as possible and letting it sit.

"I can't believe you answered that question," Ryan says to Chris, who dedicates his song, "Trouble," to his wife. Randy's glad to have him back. Paula's mooning over dedicating a song to his wife. Simon wonders about dedicating a song called "Trouble" to ones wife.

"I have been saved by a woman," Sligh says, referring to the song's lyrics. Uh huh. Don't care.

"So have I," Simon says. Still not caring.

Nick Pedro dedicates his song to his girlfriend, because "she's a lot of fun to be around." He sang "You Give Me Fever." Better than last week, Randy says, but Simon says he lacks the needed charisma to sing that song.

Blake Lewis dedicates his song - "Virtual Insanity" -- to his parents. Randy gives him one yo, but Paula calls his song choice smart. Simon says the first bit was original but the second bit was unoriginal and the final bits out of tune, then gets into an argument with Paula and Randy.

Ryan wonders whether Simon and Paula have been on a date this week. "Blake, run for your life!" Paula suggests.

Brandon Rogers pins his performance of "Time After Time" on his grandmother who is dead. Randy calls it boring, but Paula is pro -grandma.

"Can we just take this back to a singing competition for a minute?" Simon says.

"I love grandmas," he adds.

Brandon wants everyone to know it's his dad's birthday, "Happy Birthday, Dad!" he says.

"And, by the way, it's my mum's birthday - in November," Simon snips. "Happy Birthday Mum - in six months time," he continues. "And, I love puppies," he adds. "I love puppies!"

Chris Richardson dedicates his song -"Geek in the Pink" to his grandmother. Richardson is supposed to look like Justin Timberlake but looks more like Kevin Federline. Either way, Britney would love him. The judges do too.

And finally, Sundance Head chokes up as he dedicates his song to his two-and-a-half-month old son. That song: "Mustang Sally." Judges give it the big thumb up.

"I just want to thank America for keeping me around another week," Sundance says.

By Lisa de Moraes  |  February 28, 2007; 8:32 AM ET "American Idol"
Previous: ...And Then There Were 20 | Next: Sobbin' Women

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

"Blake Lewis dedicates his song - "Virtual Insanity" -- to his parents... Simon says the first bit was original but the second bit was unoriginal and the final bits out of tune"

LOVE your column lisa - but this is a bit mixed up - it's first bit unoriginal, middle bit original... and he was completely right.

oh - and i love puppies AND kittens!

Posted by: amanda | February 28, 2007 9:35 AM

I think Chris Richardson has the worst voice of any of the guys, hands-down. And you're right, Lisa, he does look like Kevin Federline. Gag.

Posted by: ls | February 28, 2007 9:48 AM

What happened to the TV blog?

Posted by: Herb | February 28, 2007 10:48 AM

Sanjaya Malakar has the worst voice of the male singers - very weak and undefined - like an underdone Michael Jackson. Ick.

Posted by: Milwaukee | February 28, 2007 10:48 AM

Chris Richardson MUST sound better in the studio than he does on TV, because I just don't get him at all. He sounds like a weak Timberlake impersonator -- although now I'm only ever going to see him as a Federline-Timberlake hybrid. Thanks for that, Lisa! Sanjaya needs to go home, for his own sake. Sundance probably survived for one more week. But here's the $64,000 question: what on earth are they going to talk to Antonella about tonight?! "Um...so. How was your week?"

Posted by: Chris C | February 28, 2007 11:00 AM

Most of this column simply recounts the judges' feedback, which we all saw last night. Any insights, feedback, or hilarious commentary?

Posted by: Idolatry | February 28, 2007 11:03 AM

The guys were better this week, but still no one stands out significantly to me. 4 or 5 of the girls just blow them all out of the water, and I think we'll see them tonight making guys night seem like amateur hour. They need to throw out the parity in getting rid of one girl for every guy and vice versa. The good ones should stay, the bad ones should go, regardless of gender. Right now, only about 3 maybe 4 of the guys deserve to be around.

Posted by: bigeugene | February 28, 2007 11:23 AM

lisa, is there not going to be a "we watch so you don't have to" column now that you have this blog? my husband has been looking for it! we need you to validate us (we also get a lot of validation from simon as well....).

Posted by: wats | February 28, 2007 11:35 AM

*yawn* to the recap column, and pack your bags Sanjaya, and Brandon. If Cyndi Lauper had been there, I'm sure she would have been appalled, yes APPALLED at your horrid rendition of Time After Time.

I lament not only the lack of standout singing in the top 10 guys, but also the lack of significant eye-candy.

A predicted quip for tonight: "Antonella, that performance was dreadful. It wasn't just on the toilet, it was in the toilet."

Posted by: Chris | February 28, 2007 12:02 PM

I still don't understand why they gave Chris Richardson rave reviews. The guy can't sing.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2007 12:33 PM

Thanks for the recap from those who miss all or part of the show. I'm a mom with little kids during the flu season and end up missing a few performances each night.

Posted by: Gwen | February 28, 2007 12:37 PM

I actually really liked the part where that guy Blake scatted. Retro yet modern. Quite frankly, no one in this competition does anything for me except him and a few of the girls.

Posted by: somebody | February 28, 2007 1:06 PM

Where are they now? Are Kelly Clarkson and Jennifer Hudson the only AI'er with any success? Where are Justin? Ruben? Nikki? Etc?

Posted by: wherearetheynow? | February 28, 2007 2:38 PM

I'm an idol watcher and loved reading your column last year because of the snarky descriptions and wisecracks .... where are they this year?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2007 3:46 PM

wherearetheynow, Chris Daughtry's album is selling very well, Carrie Underwood won a grammy and sells well, I assume Clay's albums sell well too. Frenchie was in Rent on Broadway and Constantine is also on Broadway doing the Wedding Singer (I'm not sure if he's still performing in it). While most of the Idols fade back into obscurity, many of them go on to have much more successful careers than they would have otherwise.

I guess they are going to be pimping Chris R. because they see him as very commercial and young girls will probably buy his albums. Taylor Hicks was more of a novelty win - I can't see him having longevity.

Posted by: Lily | February 28, 2007 3:50 PM

To wherearetheynow - Justin was in a movie in the relatively recent past, kind of an AI takeoff. Ruben has been doing gospel music.

Posted by: scooter964 | March 28, 2007 3:08 PM