Lisa's Favorite Sites

So Many Losers

One person's out, but a multitude of losers on "American Idol" results night.

First, let's get it over with: Brandon Rogers is the first finalist to get the hook - particularly embarrassing since he was one of two professional backup singers among the 12 finalists. But he forgot the words to his Diana Ross tune of choice on Tuesday.

Maybe if the producers hadn't made him spend so much time learning the words to other Ross tunes for the traditional Results Night Group Sing, he'd have had more time to memorize his competition song and would still be one of the Idolettes. We will miss his smiling face.

Not really.

Brandon says he saw it coming.

Not so the clueless Sanjaya Malakar, who during Tuesday's performance show responded with an emphatic "yeah!" when asked by show host Ryan Seacrest if he thought he deserved to come back next week. Had Brandon not forgotten lyrics, Sanjaya might have been put out of our misery, having received the second fewest number of votes from viewers.

This means Dialidol.com moves to the Losers column for having pronounced Sanjaya one of only three for-sure safe Idolettes this week -- also including the genuinely talented Melinda Doolittle and LaKisha Johnson.

The other nine singers were so close, according to the site's data, that any one of them (including Brandon) could get the sack -- all nine were declared potential members of this week's bottom-3 vote getters.

Dialidol predicts who will get the hook each week based on frequency of busy signals on each contestant's phone lines.

Sanjaya's Great Escape also embarrasses -- except they lack the gene -- Votefortheworst.com.

Votefortheworst.com made a big splash in seasons past getting people to, um, vote for the worst, on "Idol."

The Votefortheworst folks are a bunch of confirmed self-congratulators who count among their victories past-season Idolettes John Stevens, Scott Savol, Kevin Covais, and Kellie Pickler. All of whom, er, did not actually win "American Idol."

(The site also claims last year's winner, Taylor Hicks as one of theirs. Others argue VFTW picked Hicks after their gal Pickler got dumped, at which point it was pretty clear Hicks was going to win. )

This season, VFTW championed Antonella and Sundance -- that went well. But the site insists neither would have made it as far as they did without the Web site's support. In VFTW World, their candidate doesn't actually have to win for them to declare victory - he or she just has to last on the show one week after the Web site announces it will champion them.

Like Sanjaya.

Whatever.

Also looking L-ish: this week's guest mentor: Diana Ross.

Most aged pop stars -- Barry Manilow, Rod Stewart, Stevie Wonder, etc. -- agree to play mentor on a week of "Idol" because, when they do, they enjoy an immediate spike in their CD sales.

But Ross has not only a new CD she's also about to go on tour, so her appearance on the show is a big fat plug for ticket sales.

On the show, she makes a fab Bob Mackie-esque entrance. But she sometimes seems not steady on her feet, her voice is dicey too, and after her performance she plays this weird echo game with Ryan:

Ryan: "Your tour is coming up soon?"
Ross: "Coming up soon."
Ryan: "For tour dates go to your Web site?"
Ross: "Go to my web site."

Would you pay good money to see this act?

Me neither.

Editor's note: Find complete play-by-play of last night's "Idol," in Lisa's We Watch So You Don't Have To column.

By Lisa de Moraes  |  March 15, 2007; 12:36 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Let the Games Begin
Next: Sanjaya's Big Night

Comments

Way cool show last night - DRoss looking almost as unstable as Paula (but at least she was friendly enough to everyone, even seemingly surprising a surprised Melinda, who seemed totally lost), the Idolets butchering the opening medley and the Ford ad, Sanjaya having the terrified "omigod I'm back next week?!?!" look on his face, and Fox mercifully going to black before Brandon could get a single swansong note out.

Next week should be great - here's betting that Sanjaya looks to seal his ticket home by appearing in a bathrobe and bunny slippers and singing something like "I'm a Little Teapot" - even then he'd probably score big with his demographic (his sister? VFTW and Howard Stern? teeny-boppers? Michael Jackson's menagerie? call center operators in Bangalore?)

Posted by: Rob Iola | March 15, 2007 7:57 AM | Report abuse

The dialog between Ross and Ryan Seacrest didn't stop where Lisa finished her article. Ryan also had to tell Diana Ross that the name of her web site was dianaross.com, which she then repeated! It was hilarious!!

Also, didn't she seem to have a problem with that "thing" that was around her arm? She eventually threw it on the ground, but I thought there might have been a problem with it. I don't think she did herself a lot of favors by her appearance.

Posted by: Dsmac | March 15, 2007 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Get more people to vote, but having people vote for the worst singer. I don't vote now, but I would vote for the worst person.

Posted by: Bill Monroe | March 15, 2007 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Just curious... are there any other shows on TV than Idol? This is about TV, right? Not Idol? Perhaps you should rename your blog to ...on Idol.

Posted by: Not a Fan | March 15, 2007 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Diana was way scary last night...I would have loved to hear the judges critique her performance if she was one of the contestants. I know the stars who come on as mentors get some leeway cause they're "legends", but it just wasn't good, dawg.

Posted by: Manassas | March 15, 2007 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Could someone please clear something up for me please?

This blog is titled "on TV", so I thought I could find some coverage of TV events. But it seems to just be a blog for American Idol recently. That would be great, except I do not watch American Idol.

(Yes, there are the categories on the Press Tours and the Emmys, but that seems to be it for variety on this blog.)

I'm not complaining (I know I'm in the minority by not watching American Idol), but I'm curious why nothing else seems to be covered, and I don't seem to see an "About this Blog" topic anywyhere.

For example, the new Eddie Izzard show debuted on F/X the other night and there doesn't even seem to have been a review in the Post anywhere, though it seems to be getting a lot of good buzz everywhere else. I thought maybe it would be discussed here, but all I found were detailed Idol discussions.

If it's about what's hot, well there are several other "juggernaut" shows like Lost, Heros, Desperate Housewives, or Grey's Anatomy that never seem to be mentioned, either.

Or how about topics on TV media itself? The recent All-Anna-Nicole-All-The-Time fest? Or the buzz on Katie Couric's plummeting numbers over at CBS?

I'm just curious how Lisa is approaching this blog. She doesn't have to be prolific, I'm just kinda confused on what this space is intended for.

Thanks for any help!

Posted by: Chasmosaur | March 15, 2007 8:29 AM | Report abuse

When she announced the tour I said I had to be there. I was holding out for Tina Turner, but this Legend will do. Love the diva and your AI columns.

Posted by: Girl600Show | March 15, 2007 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Look out for the Sanjaya cornrows.

Posted by: Girl600podcast | March 15, 2007 8:35 AM | Report abuse

for those who wish there was another topic, try another day. lisa's column is about american idol, thus the comments would tend to skew that way. seems pretty logical to me.
i started watching AI because my husband watches it and i wanted to know what he was talking about. the only problem is that i really don't care for the show, the premise, the judges, etc. and would prefer to treat our viewing of AI as our own little version of Mystery Science Theater. sadly my husband doesn't have that snarky streak so necessary to that type of viewing. sigh. i'm left to watch AI and comment on blogs. thank God for LdM. but enough about me...
diana ross's performance was ridiculous. it wasn't even one of her songs. she did redeem herself, however, by complimenting AI for just being the wonderful show it is and giving hope to all those aspiring songsters and songstresses in America. God bless AI!
and for the folks who want this blog to be about something else, God bless you too!

Posted by: methinks | March 15, 2007 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I am not surprised that Brandon went especially since he couldn't remember the words.

Phil should not have been in the bottom 3.

Diana's performance was so-so (I think it had to do with the song though) but she was friendly enough though.

Posted by: Newyork Girl | March 15, 2007 8:59 AM | Report abuse

To the idiots that haven't figured out that this blog is about American Idol, please get a clue already!!!!!!

Posted by: dym | March 15, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or does anyone else wonder who in the world voted this week for Chris Sligh and his completely butchered and yucky version of Endless Love? Positively dreadful! I, too, felt let down by Diana Ross's performance. Seems like she is simply famous for being famous at this point. Which makes me sad.

Posted by: Meg in PA | March 15, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Wow. You must really like these votefortheworst clowns. That was quite a lengthy plug you gave them.

Posted by: sbee | March 15, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

chris richardson must go.
sanjaya too.

Posted by: b | March 15, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

"Not a Fan" has a point. If this column is about "Idol", then it should be named as such: "deMores on American Idol", for instance. And "Chasmosaur" is right, too. The Post ought to be covering other shows on television. If not in this column, then somewhere.

Posted by: Joe | March 15, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

It's an Idol blog for now, Lisa will blog about other TV shows after Idol is over. Please leave Lisa alone. She is a genius, she truly suffers for her craft, and she doesn't need you morons distracting her.

For those interested in a blog on more diverse popculture. The NY Daily News guy has a good pop-culture blog called.

popsurfing.blogspot.com

Posted by: Justin | March 15, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I love the fact that Sanjaya stays on the show week after week, despite his obvious lack of talent. He and Antonella Barba prove what a farce American Idol has become. Remember, these no talent peole were selected by the judges, so to hear them compalin about their lack of talent really reflects the "tin ears" they have for talent. Of course Melinda and Lakisha are the true talents on this season--but that's so boring. We know one of them is going to win--or do we?

Posted by: C-dog | March 15, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

OK Joe, Chasmosaur (french for Crotchety old dinosaur lady) and the rest of you Lisa-bashers: If you don't like what you're reading, you're just a click-click-click away from something else. Joe got all high and mighty yesterday with his comments, vowing not to read/come back again, but woo hoo! Look who's made a repeat performance.

Seriously people, this column and blog purely are for entertainment purposes. Gives me the much needed break I get from performing brain surgery and being a rocket scientist all freakin' day long.

Posted by: It's Me! | March 15, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

This is the problem...Simon always says this is a singing competition, but then why name it American Idol? As a society, unfortunately we idolize singers for more than just a good voice. The most successful American Idols have had these 3 things in common 1) personality, 2) a good voice, 3) good looks. Yeah Melinda and Lakesha have the BEST voices in the competition, but would I listen to them. Heck NO!!! I am not a JT fan. But if it came on the radio, I would listen to it over, a soul, blues, God bless the children type song! The 15-30 age market is not going to buy Lakesha's or Melinda's music, period!

Fact of the matter is Jordin, Blake, both Chris's, (even Stephanie), and ::shivers:: Sanjaya have a better chance of grabbing a market than Lakesha and Melinda.

Posted by: AI is a joke right now! | March 15, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Folks - note the part where I said I wasn't complaining. I wasn't. Merely confused. It just seemed that a blog titled "On TV" would cover more than American Idol, especially when it has in the past and Lisa's column does cover more than just that singular topic. I was just curious as to why she hadn't covered some of the topics I mentioned, as they would seem to be the kind of topics discussed here.

You answered my question: this is now an American Idol blog. Thanks for letting me know and I hope you enjoy the show!

Posted by: Chasmosaur | March 15, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Diana's singing wasn't the greatest last night (pardon me, but she's.....of a certain age now) but Miss Ross puts the D in Diva. Her entrance alone was the best thing on Idol so far this year. Except maybe for Paula lecturing Gina this week that "Love Child" is a "feel good song."

The Worsters are sometimes funny but they are total gasbags. In their minds they always win. Of course they cheat every year - after their real pick gets eliminated, they latch on to the obvious leader. Hence their pick of Carrie Underwood in Season 4 and Taylor in season 5.

BTW - Lisa is wrong about one thing this week - that new Daughtry boot song. Boring, whiny, awful.

Posted by: Cornrows would kill | March 15, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Diana Ross made a great entrance--pure Diva--then looked as if she might fall over trying to walk.

Then she launched into a cover of that 1969 tune by one-hit wonder Spiral Starecase, and absolutely butchered it. Where was Simon when we need him? If Diana had done at least a karaoke-worthy version, but egads!

I'll buy Melinda's album anyday, provided it's an album of standards and not the crappy Celine-Christina-Whitney run-filled power ballads that pass for music today.

I can understand the 8-year old girls text-messaging like mad for Sanjaya's ever-changing hairdo. But, can someone PLEASE explain to me what the appeal of Chris Robinson might be? He looks like Brad Renfro after his third heroin bust, only doesn't sing as good.

Seems to me like Blake may be the dark horse. They can sweeten his voice in the studio, but the guy does have some moves and is always interesting to watch.

Posted by: filmex | March 15, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

The show is much more aptly titled:
American Drivel

Posted by: Fred Evil | March 15, 2007 5:55 PM | Report abuse

party poopers go home.

Posted by: methinks | March 15, 2007 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Haley used to be the contestant whose name nobody could remember. Thanks to Simon, her full name is probably better known than anyone else's now.

If she can turn it on now with some "wow" performances, she may surprise everyone and go all the way to the final 2. Melinda and Lakisha may be great singers but they're not really Idol material, and besides, Simon likes Haley now and even knows her name.

Holy Toledo! Haley Scarnato!

Posted by: Christin | March 16, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse