Lisa's Favorite Sites

'American MOR Idol'

Gina Glockson, cutesy-plush-toy-toting goth girl rocker chick is gone.

And all that's left of this year's blandly cast "American Idol" competition is The Three Divas and a whole lotta Middle of the Road (MOR) nuthin':

*Melinda Doolittle: Diva No. 1. Sure she's more fun to watch these days, having sprouted a neck and lost some of her Golly Gee shtick, though she can't seem the shed that I'm-a-Little-Teapot bendy thing she does each performance. But what's the fun of a professional backup singer winning what's supposed to be a competition among amateurs?

*LaKisha Jones: Diva No. 2. The best voice this year mysteriously fell into clutches of some overzealous Vegas choreographer during Diana Ross week and hasn't been able to escape since from those contrived moves that are distracting her from the songs.

*Jordin Sparks: Diva No. 3. She's show host Ryan Seacrest fave, according to recent interview on People magazine Web site. Isn't he supposed to be Switzerland?

*Blake Lewis: The judges insist he's a hip cool cat. Actually, he's an alt-wimp. The spinning and the self-stroking need to stop.

*Phil Stacey: Anything-he-can-sink-his-teeth-into-and-suck-the-life-out-of crooner.

*Haley Scarnato!: During Tony Bennett week, in which the Idolettes were asked to sing songs from their grandparents' era, Haley finally found her genre: Gentleman's club entertainer. Grievously, she can't take it any farther -- the FCC won't let her.

*Chris Richardson: Justin Timberlake Lite. His next move should be to get within malfunction range of Haley Scarnato's wardrobe during her performance.

*Sanjaya Malakar: Michael Jackson without the talent. Just the weirdness. And, his own universe, apparently, into which he's invited Simon Cowell.

Editor's note: For the play-by-play of last night's "American Idol" results show, read Lisa's TV column

By Lisa de Moraes  |  April 5, 2007; 7:57 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Emasculation of Simon
Next: La Noche Grande de Sanjaya

Comments

This was the saddest elimination ever for me.
Her song was fitting though, and she sang
it with real emotion. Very memorable.
I will miss Gina.
The lady's got class.

Posted by: Olivia | April 5, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Wait - I missed it last night! Did Sanjaya really cut his hair? Doesn't he realize that he's like Samson without his hair?

Posted by: hairfan | April 5, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Lisa, they aren't using the Tractor Seats of Glory now -- they are the Sofas of Safety. Or the Comfy Benches of Coming Back Next Week.

Posted by: mark | April 5, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

If Gina had sung the song with as much emotion on Tuesday, she might not have gotten eliminated. I thought she was very classy last night.

Posted by: Sherry | April 5, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm really starting to hate watching. I don't know what is going on with Sanjaya, but watching actual, talented people leave while that walking joke stays is just depressing. Oh, well. Having JLo there ought to play to Haley Scarnato!'s strengths...

Posted by: sharoncville | April 5, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Lisa,

Why do you keep digging at Melinda Doolittle for having a short neck? Your comments are mean-spirited and, frankly, unfathomable.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

OK, well if this blog is all Idol all the time, how about renaming to "de Moraes on American Idol" so it doesn't give the false impression of actually being about television in general?

Posted by: SteveG | April 5, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

A couple of points:

1) Gina was horrible. Good to see her go.

2) Melinda, evidently, does not possess a neck. I don't see anything wrong with pointing this oddity out.

3) Idol is the only thing on TV worth watching. That's why Lisa writes about it so much.

Posted by: Justin | April 5, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse

1)I agree with Justin.

2)I thought Phil should had been voted off because he was too scary singing "Night and Day". He came off like a serial killer.

Posted by: Lisa1 | April 5, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Yes people, Melinda has no neck and LaKisha is overweight, but they can SING. But remember, this is a talent competition. It's about singing! If we keep focusing on this nonsense we'll have to deal with Sanjaya all season.

Posted by: k-gotham | April 5, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Obviously, if Sanjaya is still on the show, this is NOT a singing competition.

Posted by: Dukedg | April 5, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

This isn't a singing competition. This is a voting competition where contestants use singing, personality, sex appeal and blatant pandering to convince people to vote for them. Just like the real music industry.

Posted by: bluemeanies | April 5, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

k-gotham, apparently you misunderstand the concept of an American idol. We (as in American society) do not actually ignore looks, particularly when it comes to people who are going to be solo (or semi-solo) acts with their names and faces all over the place. In other words, looks, along with style, etc., matter. Granted, singing should be a prerequisite, but to sell a lot of records, that's not the only thing these idolettes need.

They will probably want a neck and maybe want to be thinner, though one's need for thinness will depend on the genre one enters. It will probably also depend on charming one's personality is. Finally, it would help if LaKisha didn't lisp.

I'll miss you, Gina. Go, Jordin!

Posted by: Ryan | April 5, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

How poignant to hear one of my favorite songs of all time (twice), Charlie Chaplin's evocative and beautiful "Smile". Last night was Gina's finest moment.

If Melinda wins, millions of viewers including me will die of boredom on the spot.

How does Phil survive week after week? What is his fan base, ghouls? He should play Death in a new version of "The Seventh Seal".

Sanjaya renders me speechless too. Quite an amusing phenomenon though.

Holy Toledo! Haley Scarnato! She's been skating so adroitly over that thin thin ice; if she wore any more she'd fall through for sure. Now I'll bet she stays for at least another 2-3 weeks. When she goes, AI will be without a sexy Pretty Woman for the the first time since end of Season 2. Then watch the Ratings fall off the cliff.

LaKisha will be gone within 3 weeks, probably before Sandy.

Jordin Sparks will win AI 6.

Posted by: Christin | April 5, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Lisa, why doesn't your blog show up on the blogs list on the main page? Man, they're not treating you right.

Posted by: Ryan | April 5, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Guy - Brandon
Gal - Stephanie
Guy - Chris S.
Gal - Gina
Guy - Phil???

Remember this is Fox, so they need to maintain the whole fair and balanced image.

Posted by: kdinsd | April 5, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Melinda has virtually no neck. Pointing it out is one thing. Harping on it everything Melinda's name is mentioned is obsessive and just catty. Get over it. She doesn't look like Haley Scarnato (fortunately, we only need one sex kitten and I for one, would much rather have the killer singer than the killer legs around). There is no reason that Melinda's neck needs to be a daily little stab. That's like making a weekly issue of Lakisha's weight. Just move on, folks. I suppose it gets a lot of comments because as Simon says sometimes people just like to be mean for no reason and they can't think of anything else to be mean about to Melinda.

Well, I'm 3 weeks for 3 picking the bottom 3. The last two weeks, I even picked the one to go, but this week, I thought that Gina would be 2nd from bottom and Haley would be out, but otherwise, I'm doing pretty good on the predictions.

Posted by: DadWannaBe | April 5, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Sorry...above, "everything" should be "every time"

Posted by: DadWannaBe | April 5, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

"Haley finally found her genre: Gentleman's club entertainer."

This is why you're my favorite columnist!

I nearly did a spit-take with my coffee reading that.

Posted by: Steve | April 5, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Melinda would be a marketing company's NIGHTMARE!!

She doesn't have looks. Her NAME!!! What would they market, her voice? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Although great, her voice can only take her so far.

Now Jordin Sparks! They don't even have to do anything to her. She's got everything they need.

Posted by: VA AI Watcher | April 5, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Melinda has the same cache and audience as say, Barbra Streisand. Until she made it big, Streisand's name wasn't very marketable (until she changed it and took out the middle "A" but she was already a name by then). She also did not have marketable looks. But what did she have? Talent and charisma. Melinda has the first, hopefully she'll come into the second, but that will take getting the shell to crack and letting her out from her insulated coccoon of insecurity. Bette Midler also comes from that mold. It's a shame that Streisand and Midler have been so unmarketable. I think that Melinda would very happily go to the bank if she could follow in their footsteps. So although it's a handicap, it isn't insurmountable.

Posted by: DadWannaBe | April 5, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

it is almost impossible to find your blog and your chat now with the new home page...What is up with that??????

Posted by: where is lisa | April 5, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

i just need to add my two cents that the blog search was tough today with the new home page. i hope wapost checks this for feedback, because the new homepage blows. and as for the remaining contestants? i really think it's anyone's to win. if sanjaya is still in it, i have no faith in talent actually winning out. this will be my last year to watch AI.

Posted by: i agree | April 5, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Melinda is very polished, controlled, makes no mistakes and can dependably sing any genre like a pro. What she lacks is any sense that she's taking any chances (even the illusion of that) and any kind of distinctive sound to her voice -- Barbra Streisand or Bette Midler she is not. In other words, I can see why she was a successful back-up singer and studio musician, but she hasn't moved past that to me. I'd hire her to sing a jingle, but to me she's generic. THAT'S what Simon should tell her -- he should push her a little and just telling her "you're fine as you are" is not doing her any favors. Now LaKisha is another story -- there's an intensity that comes through when she sings. And I rather like Blake, even though this wasn't his best week. The two of them are unusual Idol contestants in that they actually seem to know enough about music to have their own ideas about arrangements. BTW, I've heard of hair extensions, but I swear, Haley looks like she's been getting leg extensions. To borrow a phrase from my late grandmother, her skirt is so short now, it's up to her pooppik. (that's Yiddish for bellybutton)

Posted by: Hellion | April 5, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I agree that the new WP homepage is awful. Slate changed their's last year, and it was startling. But at least I could still find stuff on it. WP? Back to the drawing board, please. I thought that one of the first rules of web page design is to make it easy for users to find stuff. Blech.

Sorry to see Gina go. Melinda bores the heck out of me. Sanjaya may be in his own universe with The Gloved One, but he does keep me watching, even if only to see what he's going to do next.

Haley is from San Antonio, and everyone here is pulling for her. But still. . . ain't no way.

Posted by: San Antonio | April 5, 2007 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I think Melinda's future is as a jazz singer. She really is in the tradition of Sarah Vaughan more than Barbra Streisand or other pop-oriented singers.

Posted by: mark | April 6, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I don't see the problem everyone's having finding the blog. I have it saved as a favorite, click on it and it brings me right to Lisa's latest blog and all the comments. Don't waste time going through the WP home page. Use the link http://blog.washingtonpost.com/tvblog/ Am I missing something here?

Posted by: tvfan | April 6, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Lisa.
Ide like an intereview. In 1903 my great grandfather died in a plane crash out in Texas. His widow married his brother. Their daughter of two children went on and married Navy Capt WWI Rule. They eventually owned a brookstone on 12th street. Ela Rule had four dughters. In 1954 approx she moved to PG Co She had a business Seabrook Day schoool for forever in PG County forever THEY Are ALL STILL living. Marjorie, Naomi, Carol, and Gloria. my mother was Marjorie's third daughter. So my story is ...my mother and her aunts from DC proper and such a story they are ALL still alive. Each born in the the 20's raised in DC....My mom is passed. ALL my great aunts are not. I went to over ten schools in Pg county before I was ten...my great grand mother...thoseliving aunts raised me...Ide like to solicit help to tell this this story. My name really is faith. In 1960, my mom and her twinwent to Bladensburg HS. Hope and Faith were raised in dc.A lot happened. my dog is loose 386-290-8156 Bring us a grant spp or something

Posted by: faith | April 7, 2007 3:36 AM | Report abuse

When I was a lad in high school a prank I started ended up with a very happy ending. Here was the deal: I and a number of my anarchist friends wrote-in the name of a shy and somewhat homely girl in the Homecoming Queen election.

There were a bunch of us, and there were so many "popular" girls splitting the ballot, the girl we voted for as a prank actually won. At first, I felt terrible about it.

But people more decent than me took up her cause and gave her a make over and she became a beautiful Homecoming Queen. In the process taught me and hundreds of other students a lesson about snobbery and inclusiveness. I am not making this up--and I still get a bit misty-eyed when I recall that moment 31 years ago.

Every time I see or hear about Sanjaya, I'm reminded of that. I hope he wins.

New on EWM: ho no! Imus has his comeuppance... "Punishment: Imus Agrees to Become Nappy-Headed Ho"

Posted by: The Eyewitness Muse | April 11, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse