Lisa's Favorite Sites

LaKisha Out

"The Dreamgirls" semi-finals won't happen next week on "American Idol." LaKisha Jones got the hook after receiving fewer of the 45 million votes cast this week than had Melinda Doolittle, Jordin Sparks, or Beatbox Boy Blake Lewis, who we increasingly suspect is a hologram.

The Results show is strangely distressing from the get-go, and not just because everyone knew LaKisha of the Best Backstory was going to get the boot. Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell have changed places at the judges table. Simon is doing Paula's trademark seal clap, Paula is doing Simon's trademark man-breast massage, and Fox Standards and Practices execs are getting the vapors.

Then, this weeks' "American Idol" Idiot Question asks which former competitor went to Africa to lip-synch a song while surrounded by impoverished, hungry children. Guess right, show host Ryan says -- was it a) Ruben Studdard, b) Carrie Underwood, or c) Bo Bice -- you could win $10,000. Ryan expresses embarrassment at how easy the question is; he forgets to let on how inappropriate it is.

Coming back from an ad break, Ryan, who says he already knows who's getting tossed tonight, draws LaKisha into a conversation about how she was telling herself during the ad break she must not to forget the words to her song in case she's going home tonight. She also talks about what a bad day she had on Tuesday, what with last-minute key changes, wardrobe problems, and so forth.

The judges had turned on LaKisha weeks ago, but viewers kept her in the competition far longer than she would have if Simon Cowell ruled the world.

Simon, overly eager to get in ahead of the kill, can't wait to tell Ryan who of the four Idolettes left on stage he thinks is going to be cut. Fellow judges Randy and Paul admonish him to leave it alone. He ignores them, names LaKisha, and beams.

Editor's note: For more on last night's American Idol, read Lisa's TV column ("Idol" coverage begins on page two).

By Lisa de Moraes  |  May 10, 2007; 8:09 AM ET
Categories:  "American Idol"
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: All Hail 'Imperial Idol'
Next: Chicks Rejoice

Comments

Man, what a train wreck - there's 1 hour of my life gone forever, plus the 3 minutes or so I'm wasting writing this instead of getting those pesky meeting minutes distributed. Wife and I shared a joint "Stupid!" after the Farmer Market segment, only to have Ryan immediately agree with "well, we do have an hour to fill". Highlight for me was trying to see/guess where else Pink had tattoos (loved the one on her inner thigh right by the cut in her skirt). Hmm, Jordin v. BBBlake in the finals, where they both get totally blown away in the finale by KiKi, Melinda, and even Gina.

Posted by: Rob Iola | May 10, 2007 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Thank God I had a class start last night or I might have been tempted to watch. I lost that hour of my life on Tuesday night. Too bad LaKisha got sent home because I think she might have benefited most from the professional packaging the winner gets.

Posted by: jokr715 | May 10, 2007 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Amazingly mild mannered Lisa....way to go!! However, I will give Fox a call and tell them to stop donating time and money to charitable causes because you find it "inappropriate." Looking forward to next weeks column!!

Posted by: HappyDad | May 10, 2007 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one in America who thinks that Blake is the worts? Come one people!

Posted by: jg | May 10, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Lakisha was the best overall package but that's ok because I'm sure she has a great career ahead of her. I just don't get why the judges, and especially Paula, turned on her. Oh well, AI's loss.

Posted by: Greg from Chicago | May 10, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Yippeee!! I am so happy that Lakisha is gone!! I couldn't take another week of her!!!

Fortunately, I was doing other things (talking on the phone, cooking, etc) while that stupid show was on in the background. Why can't they go back to having it on for a half an hour?

Posted by: Eliz | May 10, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Tivo, Tivo, Tivo...

It is the only way to watch things like the evening news, and American Idol.

That button you program to skip forward 30 seconds turns 1 hour shows into 10 minute shows, etc.

It is the only way to watch these programs packed with fluff!!!

Posted by: Sue | May 10, 2007 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I have only two words for LaKisha: Jennifer Hudson.

And to Lisa, thanks for watching so I don't have to (very much).

Posted by: No name, no town | May 10, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Amen to that Sue - without Tivo I would have abandoned this show long ago. I couldn't imagine wasting a full hour of your life for the marketing orgy that is the reults show (and the regular show for the most part) when you can zip around to the 5 minutes worth watching in seconds.

Posted by: Jason | May 10, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I was sad to see Lakisha go I thought Blake should have been the one if there was any justice. He's really starting to get on my nerves. The beat boxing is a gimmick and who could actually listen to a whole album of that.
Barry Gibb wow that was just plain awful I would have loved to hear what the judges would have said after that performance. Thank God for tivo.

Posted by: Moonie | May 10, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

You are not alone jg. I think Blake should had left last night. LaKisha does not have the range of Melinda or the youth of Jordin, but at least she can sing.

Posted by: Lisa1 | May 10, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else think HappyDad is a total douche bag? Posts the same comment every week abotu Lisa's sarcasm. Hey bud, how about you don't read it next week and you can save us the speech?...ahh...but that would be too simple for you.

Posted by: Bruno | May 10, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I must admit I don't understand posters whose sole intent each week is to disparage Lisa's writing style or column tone (HappyDad - a misnomer if there ever was one - I'm referring to you). If you don't like it, don't read it. Reading and constantly complaining will not make Lisa change her writing style or opinions (nor should it) and just makes the poster appear masochistic (why else would someone continue to read something they so obviously despise?) and as if he has an unwarranted personal vendetta against one of the WP's best columnists.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 10, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Lakisha leaves INSTEAD of Blake? BLAKE? Blake is a one trick pony who can't sing to save his life. He sucks. That Bee Gees rendition was so bad, I don't even know where to start.

My fiancee and I turned off the TV and vowed never to watch Idol again. First Mandeesa, now Lakisha. Lakisha has more talent in her index finger than Blake has in his whole, pathetic, poser, Justin Timberlake wanna be body. Idol is a joke. And we refuse to watch it from now on.

Keep your head up, girl. Two words for ya: JENNIFER HUDSON. You'll have the last laugh!

Posted by: kate | May 10, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm still hoping Jordin will win it all!

Posted by: Milwaukee | May 10, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Was anyone else scarred for life by the see-through shirt worn by Barry Gibb? I just don't need to see 60-something man-nips.

Posted by: gounskinnygirls! | May 10, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

"Am I the only one in America who thinks that Blake is the worts [sic]?"

Best. Typo. Ever.

And, for the record, I always thought of Chris Richardson as a carbunkle.

Posted by: WoW | May 10, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I agree the only way to watch this show is on a DVR like TIVO. We record the show, skip over the boring/overtly marketed parts, and are left with about 10 minutes of watchable TV on Wednesday nights. On Tuesday nights, we watch nothing but the performances and critiques, making the 1 hour show more like a 30 minute show.

Posted by: Joe | May 10, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Chris Richardson and Phil Stacy were on "Regis and Kelly". Why do people watch the awful show? Chris is still hot and Phil is still creepy.

Posted by: brooklyn | May 10, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I thought the opening medley by the four finalists totally blew. You couldn't tell from the camera or the mikes who was supposed to be featured in each segment. Lousy.

Sorry to see Lakisha go but it was her time. go Jordin!

Posted by: Meg in PA | May 10, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

They should have sent the BeeGee home and kept Lakisha.

Posted by: pjhalifax | May 10, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Bruno and Anon 10:11am...I love you too. I did not know this forum was only for people who agree with Lisa or love to hate AI. I am sorry to see that a little dissent or disagreement gets so far up your .... that Bruno needs to start name calling. I have my opinion and you have yours, respect it.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 10, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

The real problem this week is that the Bee Gees songs cannot be sung effectively except by the Bee Gees. The songs largely lack melody or soul, and they thrive only because of the falsetto close harmony, which is essentially a gimmick. Strip that away, and we see all of the contestants struggle.

Melinda was technically competent but emotionally flat. I expected Blake to shine, because he's gimmicky and so is the material, but he picked bad songs and executed badly (he didn't need to add beatboxing to something that's already a novelty song). LaKisha tried something adventurous for Staying Alive, but it sounded really awkward and uncomfortable. Jordan wisely chose songs that were not part of the disco repertory, but she had execution problems too.

Posted by: Tom T. | May 10, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Sarcastic comments about calling Fox and the pithy "looking forward to next week's column!!" is not respecting Lisa's opinion but rather being a jerk about it. This forum is for people who agree and disagree with Lisa and who like and dislike American Idol; you can post opinions respectfully without being ugly about it.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 10, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I really thought Blake was imploding before our eyes Tuesday night and would be a goner this week. It was the first week I felt that his beat boxing and remixing totally fell apart.

Are all his studio recordings as bad as his bon jovi that I downloaded?

Posted by: jordin_fan | May 10, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

for those music critics that think the only way to sing a bee gees song is in harmony and/or with a falsetto, obviously has never heard Al Green's version of "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart", best Bee Gees song ever.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 10, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I like Pink! mostly but why was she so lame last night? Ya-awn! I know it must be embarrassing for her to be viewed in such a Brittany-type venue but come on! Show some life.

(or was it that she was afraid that if she were to move, she would show a bit too much of her "life"? hmmm-must contemplate)

Posted by: ex cap | May 10, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that Joe Nash has a white robe and hood hanging in his closet.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 10, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Joe Nash is disgusting

Posted by: Anonymous | May 10, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Who was the beginner choreographer who put together the opening Idolettes number where they just shuffled all over the stage? Lame.

Gibb sounded thin, and looked like he needed to go to the bathroom, real bad.

I think Jordin's going to win because she's pretty, has pipes, and unlike the others has great teeth. Not much with her that they'd have to fix.

Melinda's schtick has gotten old. No heart. Just gets out there, is a good technician (yay Paula!), but I wouldn't buy a CD from her because she doesn't have "it."

Now we're going to have an American Idol band hunt? Ooh. Don't know about that one.

Posted by: Lane | May 10, 2007 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Blake definitely should have gone home before Lakisha. This is a singing competition!! Blake will make a fantastic producer...he has the ears and musical talent to put songs together. He sings well enough to hold a tune but never to be a great singer.

Lakisha is hardheaded and does not like to follow instructions....or she is so unsure of her talent that she doesn't think she can successfully sing the notes they give her.

Melinda is wonderful in singing.....she sings certain genres better when she feels the lyrics and music. When she is out of her league, she can pull it off easily, but without the conviction.

Jordin is wonderful as well, but she has a lot of learning to do regarding her voice. She is all over the place at times when she sings. She does not have control over her voice yet.

The judges are going for Jordin, not because she is the "best" but because she is young and easily moldable into what record companies want. Just like Katherine McPhee, if Jordin were to win, her album will not be anything like you think she is now. She will have to fit into the image the record company wants and that is something that would be harder to do with someone older and more grounded like Melinda.

Posted by: 4taz | May 10, 2007 11:44 PM | Report abuse