'American Idol': Hail, the Virgin Queen

Just when you thought there was nothing new under the sun at "American Idol," along comes the Virgin Dance Captain of Knoxville Catholic High.

The Virgin Dance Captain, or, as she likes to call herself, "Amy Catherine, AC, whatev" Flynn, is the 16-year-old captain of the "dance team." Which appears to be the new name for "cheerleader."

"I'm the captain of my dance team and I'm a STARS [Students Teaching and Respecting Sexuality] panelist, so I preach about abstinence," Amy Catherine tells judges Randy Jackson, Simon Cowell and Paula Abdul during auditions in Charleston, S.C. -- but only after a clip in which we see Amy Catherine flinging her pompoms and waggling her virgin heinie with her team. She tells last night's viewers, "I really enjoy doing that because I know that I lead and, like, everyone respects me."

Randy, Paula and Simon are intrigued. Randy and Simon debate for a few minutes which of them needs the abstinence lecture more.

"I could give you a good speech if you'd like to hear it," Amy Catherine tells Simon helpfully.

"Okay," says Simon.

She begins:

"Like, let's say that you're like, 'Oh, I really love my boyfriend' -- or girlfriend, whichever way, you know -- and you're like, 'Oh, I've been with them for so long I should have sex with them, like it's totally cool, we've been together for forever,' then you're like, 'If you're gonna marry them why can't you wait another five, six years,' and then you're like, 'Oh, then we're going to do it then,' and then you're like, 'We waited all that time and now it's, like, really special, like, we have such self-control,' " she explains.

"Amy, I think you're absolutely right. Yup, I'm going to try and live by that code," Simon replies.

"I like Simon a lot," Amy Catherine says, demonstrating why she leads and, like, everyone respects her.

Then she sings what she says is some Christina Aguilera tune; I think it's "Reflections," though it sounded more like something from a junior high production of "High School Musical 2." Amy Catherine sounds like some annoying girl singing in her bedroom in front of her mirror.

Paula pronounces one or two notes "so pure, innocent and beautiful."

"Yes!" Amy Catherine says, pointing her two thumbs up, like a Catholic school dance captain whose team just totally thumped the local public school dance team in dance team competition.

Simon says she sounded a little bit like an annoying girl singing in the bedroom.

"I think that's a bit much to say," Amy Catherine responds, severely but, and here's the point, while giving him some kind of come-hither pout in her very short skirt and very high heels.

"Thorry," Simon says, doing his best naughty-girl imitation.

"A lot of people are going to find you annoying, Amy," Simon tells Amy Catherine, demonstrating once again why he's the only judge worth listening to.

"No, they're not!" Randy barks, demonstrating once again why he's an idiot.

"No, they're not!" chimes in Paula.

But, in the end, Randy, Paula and Simon put Amy Catherine through to Hollywood. "One week in L.A. -- it will all change," Simon quips.

Sadly, "it" will not get a chance to change in Hollywood with Saving Himself Guy, who auditioned in Dallas on the first night of this "Idol" round. Remember him? He's the one whose not-too-overprotective dad had junior's heart of gold around the paternal neck to hand over to Miss Right only on Saving Himself's wedding day. Saving Himself Guy was a better singer than Virgin Dance Captain, but the judges found him creepy and did not send him through to Hollywood. Amy Catherine, on the other hand is, as Paula explained, "adorable."

Whatev.

By Lisa de Moraes  |  January 24, 2008; 7:57 AM ET "American Idol"
Previous: 'American Idol': Been There, Seen Them | Next: 'Idol' in Omaha: Corntastic

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Lisa, I cannot BELIEVE you don't know the difference between dance team and cheer squad. Please note, the dance team was wearing PANTS. And not, in fact, cheering.

Dance team is at least one step below cheer squad, almost down there with the band. In fact, dance team is sometimes part of the band.

Perhaps you need a field trip to flyover land, eh?

Posted by: mark | January 24, 2008 9:02 AM

Hey, Mark, it depends on the school. In some schools, the dance team is WAY ahead of the cheerleaders. In other schools, it's the other way. Just sayin' . . .

Anyway, I wish I had seen AC. She sounds like a trip.

Posted by: Ryan | January 24, 2008 9:36 AM

Too true Ryan. At my high school the dance team was where the hot girls were and the cheerleaders were the girls who did not make the dance team.

Posted by: Chris | January 24, 2008 10:10 AM

but not on dance team or whatever. Love the term "virgin heinie," wish we'd thought of that when I was 15.

Posted by: former Catholic schoolgirl | January 24, 2008 10:24 AM

Close, Pookie: "Reflection" is from Disney's already-forgotten animated film "Mulan".

Posted by: Adam B. | January 24, 2008 10:43 AM

Idol is becoming just a tad boring. Simon has toned it down this year; Randy needs to drop the "Dawg" and "Dude"; and Paula is still Paula.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 24, 2008 10:53 AM

I'm kinda sorry the fella who had to leave because his wife was in labor didn't make it through... decent voice and cute story. And good for him to have his priorities in the right order.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 24, 2008 10:58 AM

I'm just sorry we didnt have virgin cheerleaders when I was in high school! j/k

Seriously, I wish the female Air Force pilot had made it through. I liked her and thought she had a decent enough voice.

Posted by: Mike | January 24, 2008 11:08 AM

LDM, you are my queen! I am at work silently ROTFLMAO.

Posted by: jpgdlc | January 24, 2008 11:57 AM

"And good for him to have his priorities in the right order."

Ummm...what? A day after his child his born he brings her to a stadium full of germy losers with the intent of potentially leaving his baby alone with his wife for months while not earning an income to pursue a clearly impossible (my opinion of his chances) dream.

Yeah, priorities totally in order. Check.

Posted by: foo | January 24, 2008 12:15 PM

I am one of Simon's predicted viewers to find her annoying.

However, I'd love to see Ryan Seacrust and her both lose their heterosexual virginity together. No writers necessary. Perhaps a pay-per-view?

Posted by: Me | January 24, 2008 1:48 PM

I'm just sorry we didnt have virgin cheerleaders when I was in high school!
cool
www.vrilo.com

Posted by: mario | January 24, 2008 2:14 PM

'AC' definitely made it through via courtesy of her backstory. They bumped a couple of other people who were clearly much better than her. I can hear the producers saying "Go for Interesting over Talented! Our ratings are slipping!"

Posted by: Judge C. Crater | January 24, 2008 3:15 PM

Surely I think she's an idiot for broadcasting her business that no one needs to know. But it got her through I think. Funny how sex can sell.

Posted by: nova_dame | January 24, 2008 3:29 PM

foo - love you love your comments

me - Ryan "Seacrust" - love it. yeah, he's still waiting to lose it. (his hetero virginity, that is)

Posted by: day late dollar short | January 31, 2008 1:41 PM

The best thing I can do for this wonderful source is to say that I'm a biggest fan of this website

Posted by: bowman32100 | April 6, 2008 12:14 PM

From the beginning your blog was trash. But now it is great. I hope you gonna keep writing that way.

Posted by: Canvas Prints | April 9, 2008 7:07 AM