Lisa's Favorite Sites

'American Idol': Top-12 Guys Do the '60s

"American Idol" host Ryan Seacrest opens Guys Night by reminding us "people are saying this year's talent is the best yet." By "people" he means "Idol" producers. This is our first opportunity to see what they mean. Naturally, the 12 guys are forced to sing tunes from the 1960s -- when their grandparents were young.

The Fantastic 3 are back judging the 12 guys' performances: Randy "Cliché Man" Jackson, Paula "The Fog" Abdul and Simon Cowell the Unyielding.

Competent David Hernandez sings "In the Midnight Hour" -- a performance we'd forgotten before it even finished. Oh, and he comes from a "broken home," Hernandez says, and was raised by a single mom. Yes, the Idolettes finally figured out, by the seventh go-round, that milking their sad tales translates into viewer votes.

Randy's reaction: "Yo yo, competition is on, baby, it's on!" Paula declares David has "brilliant" vocals to rely on. Simon pronounces the middle part of the tune "a little bit rabbit-in-the-headlights" but overall "better than I thought it would be." Bye-bye, David.

Chikezie (Frank Micelotta - Fox)

Chikezie Eze has dropped his last name, either because he's decided he's already so big he only needs one -- like Cher -- or he's tired of people mispronouncing it. Either way, totally annoying. Plus he's wearing an orange suit, so he loses our vote. Chikezie gives a lounge-lizard rendition of "I Love You More Today Than Yesterday."

Randy: "It was a'ight yeah yeah yeah." Paula: "You've come a long way and you look great -- people may not know, he's lost a lot of weight." Simon: "Here's my problem, Jacuzzi . . . I absolutely hated the whole performance and I'll tell you why. The suit is hideous . . . the wink was hideous, the 'woo!' was hideous. It was all old-fashioned, corny, cheesy" and not "current." Chikezie says "current" is hard to do "on '60s night." Bye-bye, Chikezie.

David Cook's hair no longer looks like my taxidermy rooster but it's still unnerving to watch him deliver a pseudo-rock version of the Turtles' "Happy Together" while trying to sex it up with long looks at the camera that we think are supposed to convey smoldering sexuality but really scream "homicidal."

Randy said he worked it out, apropos of we're not sure what. Paula called the performance "a bit 'worthy,' " by way of mocking a comment Simon made ages ago about a Cook performance. Simon said he "almost made it believable." We're sure Cook took a lot away from their observations.

Jason Yeager, Branson, Mo., singer-server, nukes himself with an Andy Williams version of "Moon River."

Randy tells him it's important not to lose his concentration when trying to imitate Andy Williams singing "Moon River." Paula announces she gave her first ballet recital to that song. Jason says he dedicated the song to his grandmother who, he tries to explain, is dead, but Simon jumps in with, "I bought my first puppy to that song," which may be the best line this season -- possibly in "American Idol" history. Simon pulls out all the "cruise ship" references he can muster and throws in a "you're like a dependable old dog," adding that a lot of young viewers watched that performance with question marks floating over their heads. We think Paula and Simon switched Coke cups.

Robbie Carrico would be the perfect person to cast as the rocker guy in a Disney Channel movie about a preteen girl who nearly went wrong when she fell for an older rocker, until her fairy godmother showed up and helped her realize that Daddy was right when he said older rocker boys don't make good boyfriends.

Robbie sings Three Dog Night's "One" like he thinks it's a Doors song. Randy says he was rockin' out. Paula says he picked the perfect song for him. Simon says he's not convinced Robbie is in fact a rocker and not a pop singer in disguise (Robbie used to be part of a band that toured with Britney). Robbie insists he's definitely not a pop singer -- he's got the whole costume to prove it -- adding, "This is me." Even Seacrest seems dubious, suggesting Robbie is a rocker who looks like Justin Timberlake.

David Archuleta sings "Shop Around" and makes you forget all the guys who performed before him.

David Archuleta (Frank Micelotta - Fox)

Randy is so impressed he pulls himself together long enough to call it "brilliant." Paula calls it a brave and bold choice of songs and says she forgets he's only 17 when he sings, which sounds like something the Fox decency police will want to keep an eye on. "When you've got it, you've got it," Simon says, adding that it was, "by a comfortable mile," the best performance so far.

Archuleta is in, or feigns, shock. "I'm really awed that came out of [the judges] . . . I loved it, man, especially with the audience here -- wow!" he ejaculates.

"You can only vote for him; you can't adopt him," Seacrest says. Archuleta feels the need to remind Seacrest he's 17 years old.

Danny Noriega, whose head has swelled mightily since we saw him last, says he wants to bring "swagger and attitude" to his performance. "I want it to be hot." He breaks into a manic rendition of Elvis hit "Jailhouse Rock" that is long on heinie waggling, pouting for the camera and hair shaking but short on actual singing.

Randy notices Danny was having a good time. Paula calls the performance "almost scalding" and says it "allowed you to just be 'the performer,' " whatever that means. Simon -- the only judge worth listening to -- says it "verged on the grotesque."

Luke Menard is very good-looking and, though we've seen nothing of him so far on the show, after hearing his version of Harry Nilsson's "Everybody's Talkin'," we don't think we'll bother.

We've also not seen anything of Colton Berry, which inspires Seacrest to ask him what he'd like viewers to know about him. Colton responds he wants people to know he looks like Ellen DeGeneres "from the left, the right and the front" -- wrecking any chance he might have had of winning this competition regardless of his performances. For the record, he sang "Suspicious Minds" very theatrically, which he'd warned us was his tendency because, he explained to Seacrest, he has studied theater.

Cherubic Garrett Haley is very pretty and delicate, but his "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do" is utterly forgettable. Randy and Paula try to be nice, but Simon says Garrett looked haunted and like he's been locked up in a room for days, and recommended he go out and spend some time in the sun.

Jason Castro plays guitar and sings "What a Day for a Daydream" in a surprisingly entertaining Lovin' Spoonful-cum-Arlo Guthrie kinda way. Randy and Paula love him, Simon says he's one of the night's top two performances.

And, finally, Aussie rocker Michael Johns gives an Andrew Lloyd Webber interpretation of "Light My Fire." It's the second time he's done the song in this competition (he also used it in Hollywood).

Randy declares it "da bomb." Paula says he set everyone on fire. Simon says he has all the charisma of a lead singer -- which somehow sounded like an insult but was clearly intended as praise.

By Lisa de Moraes  |  February 20, 2008; 7:19 AM ET
Categories:  "American Idol"
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'American Idol': The Riddle of the Sphinx
Next: 'American Idol': Where the Girls Are

Comments

Posted by: First | February 20, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Chick easy with the line of the night - "Current is tough to do on '60s night"...

Simon on fire, Paula (the girl with kaleidescope eyes) on drugs last night...

Posted by: Rob Iola | February 20, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Lisa, you got it totally right. Why I even bother to watch with your great comments. No sarcasm!!!

The guys were hideous. I mean I think they might be the worst ever. The 2 or 3 who were halfway decent should be put through and the rest removed from their (and our!) misery. I didn't even recognize Jailhouse Rock until my daughter told me this line "you can't find a potty, use a wooden chair." I laughed my fool head off.

Posted by: Andrea | February 20, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Man, what was with that rendition of 'Moon River'? Unless the Greatest Generation comes back from the grave as a horde of zombie American Idol fans, he is so toast.

Posted by: jw | February 20, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

...wow!" he ejaculates.

I just passed coffee through my nose...

Posted by: BDWESQTM | February 20, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I was lost in a time warp for a while. Was Danny doing "Jailhouse Rock," a 1957 song, as a '60s white lounge singer may have performed it after stealing it from a black singer and stripping it of all its edge -- assuming Elvis was a black singer instead of a white one who stole from blacks but at least kept an interesting style?

Posted by: JD | February 20, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Danny's gotta go, he's only going to get more annoying as time goes by if he stays. I think Garrett will probably be one of the 2 to go. He had an entire decade of great music to chose from (ok, not really) and he came up w/Neil Sedaka??

Posted by: jmom | February 20, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Lisa, this may be your best recap yet--I laughed out loud numerous times! I think we need to send the boring ones home first (Garrett and Luke). Noriega may not be the greatest, but he's entertaining. (And in earlier auditions, we saw that he can sing well.) I think my faves at this point are Michael Johns and David Hernandez. Really hope Hernandez doesn't fall prey to the curse of performing first, so I phoned in a few votes for him.

Posted by: Amanda | February 20, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I think Dawg/Dude Randy and Stoned Paula should be two of the people who get the hook Thursday.

Lisa - Love your Idol recap. It would be much easier if we could vote for our two favorites instead of the two worst. It's easier to remember our favs rather than the opposite. Then you would have the two worst by elimination.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | February 20, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Loved Loved LOVED Jason Castro last night! Very fresh. Jucuzzi, THAT'S how you make the 60's modern.

My picks for the Top 6 guys: Jason Castro, all 3 Davids (Archuleta, Cook, Hernandez), Michael Johns and Robbie Carrico.

Archuleta is definitely adorable, but the judges are going to be his downfall. If they keep fawning over him, he's going to teeter on Melinda Doolittle territory. The humble, who me? thing is going to get old quickly. But when they don't say anything else, he's not given much else to wrk with in the interview.

Danny Noriega is channeling Christian from Project Runway. Fierce? Hot? No, honey. Try annoying.

Posted by: Office Land | February 20, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I think that all of the guys we saw last night (or at least ten of them) could have easily beat any of the guys from last season.

Of course, that's just another way of saying "I've seen worse."

Posted by: Doc | February 20, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

The guy w/ the do-rag, the do-rag is so perfectly aligned and carefully installed on his head; it just seems pretentious. There may be some male pattern baldness being covered up, or who knows? He may worship Bret Michaels. But he can't do a do-rag like Bret does his do-rag. An okay singer; I just find the kerchief terrribly distracting.

I hope Garrett gets it together and sings a song appropriate for a 17-year-old, but I think he is this season's white Sanjaya.

Nobody blew me away last night. I really was bored throughout, I may have to resort to tuning in 5 minutes before the close to see the song recaps. Seems like enough.

Posted by: NW DC | February 20, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

waterfrontproperty-

Voting is for your faves. If you've been voting for who you want to go home you've got it backwards. The two who can least attract voters for any reason will be gone. Noriega will stay because he attracts a certain breed of voter, while others will leave because nobody cares.

Posted by: bluemeanies | February 20, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

"[Paula] says she forgets he's only 17 when he sings, which sounds like something the Fox decency police will want to keep an eye on." Bwahahahaha. Nicely done, Pookie.

And I'm bummed Jacuzzi dropped the last name, because you know how much fun it was to say "Chick-easy Easy"?

Posted by: Bummed | February 20, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Hey, bluemeanies -- I think waterfront property was talking about the poll on this blog, which asked who we think should be eliminated -- not about the stoopid actual phone-in vote. Please try to keep up.

Posted by: Needlessly Mean | February 20, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Although last night wasn't a great sampling from the boys, I agree with Doc that they are far more talented that last season's crop. All 12 guys were significantly better than probably 75% of the last year's top 24 although not as strong as seasons 2 and 5.

I agree with Pookie that having them sing songs that came out when their ancestors were young is hard on the performers. That said, there were some really weird and bad song choices. And maybe because I'm old (I'm 43) I liked Jason's Moon River better than many other songs last night. To me the forgettable ones included Chikeze, Luke, and Garrett. Danny's rendition of Jailhouse Rock (did he actually sing words or did he just insert random syllables?) is one that I wish I could forget, but can't. My top two were David's Archuleta and Hernandez.

Posted by: Dadwannabe | February 20, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Lisa - you make me laugh. Thank you. I can't believe they went with the insipid Garrett Haley and Luke Menard over Lives in His Car Guy. At least he tried to sing!

Posted by: Jennifer | February 20, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Lisa,
You always make me laugh as I did several times reading this recap.
Can't wait to read tomorrow after the girls perform tonight.
hahahahahahaha

Posted by: Lisa's Fan | February 20, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

David A. is the hyped kid of the season (Jordin sparks 2.0). There always needs to be one. I for one thought his performances have been mediocre, at best. Last night his voice was strained and there were times you could barely hear him over the music. Yet, he was over-praised. Again. This season is going to be awful. I can already tell where it's headed.

Posted by: M | February 20, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't Danny Noriega look like an anime character? If he doesn't make it here maybe he'd be big in Japan.

Posted by: turning japanese | February 20, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I Love David Hes so cute and hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Alesha | February 20, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

The teenage girls here at Rancho Hofert were both quite enamored of young Jason Castro, and I'm sure I'll have the cell phone bill to prove it. Here's guessing that those hideous dreads will be ceremoniously shaved off in a future episode, and that Fox will turn the occasion into a Major Media Event.

Posted by: Earl Hofert | February 20, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Come on! You missed Simon's GREATEST comment of all seasons. *Said to poor Garrett regarding his "haunting" look and performance.

... "you need to become relevant."

I'd love to have a T-Shirt that said that.

Posted by: Tess | February 20, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Love Pookie, love this blog, love the comments left here to read. Gets me through an otherwise horrendous day.

Posted by: Love Lisa | February 20, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

at least six of the guys didn't deserve to be on stage last night, but perhaps were picked by the 'producers' for entertainment value as opposed to talent.

TalkTurkey.us

Posted by: metin Talks Turkey, Newport Beach, CA | February 20, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Not that I long for a world of touchy, feely, warm fuzzy feelings...

But, wow, what a vitriol-filled column you have going there, Lisa.

Posted by: KJ | February 20, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I agree Favorite are all three Davids, Jason Casto, and Robbie... not to mention the aussie who blew it up at the end to other wise forget about everyone else who was horrible. Danny won't be voted off hes Sanjiya for this season and will make it through at least two more rounds.

But years previously were the same as tonight except for season 2 and 3 but the rest were the same

Posted by: Wolfgang Acevedo | February 20, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

What I found hilarious about this column is that is EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED last night. Somehow reading it makes it so much more hilarious. Why, why, do I watch this show? I'm ashamed. I snorted water out of my nose while reading this.

Posted by: Kate in Baltimore | February 20, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

This season will definitely be better than last year - I can already tell and thank goodness for that!

Posted by: WI | February 20, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

The only thing interest about Luke Menard is he looks like Orlando Bloom (before the Pirate's Caribbean money).

Posted by: lisjaka | February 20, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

this is a singing talent..and wish Simon would quit referring to hair or clothes styles...plus size and weight...he is so rude...just have him give positive comments..if he doesn't like performance all he has to say is ...I didn't care for it.

Posted by: jeanc | February 20, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

In re Jason Yeager and "Moon River": never a good idea, on the first night of singing competition, to pick a song based on the fact it reminds you of your dead grandmother. My grandmother's favorite song was "Stardust" - you know, Hoagie Carmichael? Nat King Cole? "Sleepless in Seattle"? But I'd never pick it to sing on "American Idol." If they ever asked the Idolettes to sing tunes from the '20s. Which they will not. And, if I could sing.

In re "I love David He's so cute and hot!!!" I'm looking through this season's considerable list of Davids -- Archuleta, Cook (gak!), Hernandez - and I'm just not seeing it. Luke, on the other hand, is positively model-esque. He needs to give up the whole singing thing and get himself on "All My Children" or "Gossip Girl."

Meanwhile, I'm totally pro-"You Need to Become Relevant" T-shirts. I will pass along the suggestion to Fox...

Posted by: LdeM | February 20, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

"this is a singing talent..."

No, it's not. It's a Pop Star contest, there's a significant difference. While singing is a part of it, it's certainly not all of it.

That said, was it just me, or were we two girls short in the audience last night? Carly Smithson wasn't there definitely, and at one point when they panned them, I only counted 10.

Does anyone know what's up with that?

Posted by: Duffman | February 20, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Robbie Carrico is by far the hottest guy and the best singer in this competition! I hope he makes it to the finals! Danny Noriega is just pretentious and obnoxious and I can barely stand to look at him much less hear him sing.

Posted by: Calamity | February 20, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

David Archuleta rules. He continues to get better and better. He is the next big thing. As good as Michael John was last night, David A was better.

ARCHULETA RULES !!!!

Posted by: Archuleta Rules. | February 20, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

yeah, yeah...but the pool is fulll of ringers...conestants already previous signed and promoted. Where the amateur aspect of the show when that happens ? Rip off for the real potential people who never even got the 1st break these contestants got and blew !

Posted by: Carl | February 20, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, You're really good at what you do.

Posted by: Funny | February 20, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

"Songs of the '60s" - oh we have so been there and done that. Why can't the producers throw some really interesting challenges into the mix - like "Burl Ives' Greatest Hits" or "Tin Pan Alley - Right up my Alley!"

And like Tim Gunn's quintessential "Make it Work!" we could have all 3 judges exclaim "Make it Relevant!" Wouldn't you love to hear them shout that to "Bicycle Built for Two" or "By the Light of the Silvery Moon"?

Or all Idolettes could be required to create their own costume "looks" out of edible food products . . . .

Posted by: Jean | February 20, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

If pop icon status were only granted to great singers, half of those making tons of money for the recording industry would be out of work. Blake finished second last year on style and charisma. He appeals to younger people that buy music and go to concerts. It isn't just singing. Think Britney Spears, Madonna, Ricky Martin, and tons more. They aren't the best singers out there, but have or had glamor and charisma and stage presence.

That's what AI is trying to find. And more of this year's crop have it than last year's crop...although that's not saying much since last year's crop was singularly unimpressive (except Melinda). I think that Melinda will go out and be the big hit from Season 6 when she starts recording. The only other one that I think has big star/money potential is Blake. Not my style, but definitely noteworthy.

Posted by: Dadwannabe | February 20, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Duffman...no, 11 were there. Carly Smithson was the only one missing. For a photo, check out www.rickey.org. There is a blog entry on this very topic and a photo of 11 girls. No idea what happened to the Irish has-been. Maybe she thinks she's too good for the competition because she's already been there, done that, flopped?

Posted by: Dadwannabe | February 20, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

u rock and i am short too. u r not the only one

Posted by: nina | February 20, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

hi guys! first time on this site, love your comments!
some of them are hilarious!!!
keep em coming!

Posted by: debbie | February 20, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Another hilarious recap of a show that is increasingly painful to watch. Why did no one have a clue that Jailhouse Rock is a '50s song? Same lame comments from the judges. They say they want originality and a "recording artist." When they get something different, they complain that they didn't recognize it or it was indulgent. When it sounds too close to the original, it's karaoke. Make up your minds! They should really be singing original material so they can be judged as potential recording artists. Of course, that would never work because the audience only wants to hear what they're familiar with.

Posted by: Rob | February 20, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Danny is awesome, love him although his performance wasn't the best.
For Danny haters: you have to give a chance man, he's good, really good. i think he has good personality and for people that think he's channeling christian from project runway, that's really not true. I love christian and i think both of them are super talented
Vote 4 Danny!

Posted by: Idol74 | February 20, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Dannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny is realllllllllly awesomeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!
I totally agree with Idol74, danny is awesome and needs another chance

Posted by: Fab111 | February 20, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

David A. was the best singer up there last night.... he rocked!!!! I would pay good money to see him perform!!!!

Posted by: Kels | February 20, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee daaaaaaaavid archuleta!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: idol luver656 | February 20, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

you are a great singer

Posted by: danielle | February 20, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

What was up with Paula last night? Can't she hold off on getting jacked up until after the show?

Posted by: Frank | February 20, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Give luke a chance... I think he will really wow everyone later! Watch out for the underdog.

Posted by: illinoisvotes | February 20, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

you are a alsom i love you . you where the best last night you rock.

Posted by: page | February 20, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

A couple of corrections, for what it's worth -
Although Three Dog Night had a huge, number one hit with the song "One", it was actually written by Harry Nilsson. And, although Harry Nilsson had a huge, top ten hit with the song "Everybody's Talkin'" (from the best film of 1969 - "Midnight Cowboy"), he did not in fact, write the tune. It was written by the American blues and folk singer/songwriter Fred Neil who enjoyed the biggest hit of his career after Nilsson recorded it and it was included in the film.

And since when is "Jailhouse Rock" a 60's song???!!!!

Posted by: Pete | February 20, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

This is why I adore AI.. there is someone for everyone. I have a new flavor of the month.. Jason Castro.. wonderfully talented. Love Danny.. well, because he's Danny.

The one guy I cannot stand is David Cook. He's not talented enough to have a 'tude.

Posted by: Jeana | February 20, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

choices far better than last season. Garrett Haley will be loved by teeny boppers...so he may last awhile. Favorite is Michael Johns...even tho he wasn't at his best last nite. What turns me off is when someone disagrees w/Simon and wises off to him. They should listen to his comments/advise. If they can't take the criticism they're in the wrong business.

Posted by: Deana | February 20, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Hi everyone! I just want everyone to know that I think Simon is the best judge on the show. I think we, as voters, should really listen to him, b/c he is almost ALWAYS right in his judging! He is definitely worth listening to, and I encourage you guys to do so. Now to the contestants: I really couldn't stand Robbie Caricco, Jason Yeager, or Dannie Noriega. In my opinion, they should be voted off right away. They're not IT. I personally love David Archuleta, David Cook, Michael Johns, and Jason Castro. They deserve to be in the finals, and one of them I hope will win. I have a feeling the winner's gonna be a guy this year, but let's see what the girls do tonight. Vote wisely!

Posted by: Aly | February 20, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Hey Amanda. I laughed too SO much. For instance whenever I even SEE Danny I nearly pee my pants laughing. And I laugh uncontrollably when anyone on AI cries. It just strikes me as really funny all those people just crying and whining one after the other. It's amusing

Posted by: Aly | February 20, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I would pay good money to see David Archuleta go away. This isn't American Idol Juniors for pity's sake! He's 17 going on 12! Throw him some gummy bears and let's hear the adults.

Posted by: Jim | February 20, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

p

Posted by: Anonymous | February 20, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

why r all of u hatin' on Danny Noriega. its about time some one stands up 2 Simon!!!
I think he was pretty good

Posted by: sunny dude | February 20, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

TO ALL OF YOU IGNORANT PEOPLE LET ME BRAKE DOWN THE NAME FOR YOU IT IS CHA KIN Z E Z

Posted by: Anonymous | February 20, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

David A, all the way

Posted by: Jimmy Welch | February 20, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, you have really mean shoes but that's why we love you.

You're as harsh on the idolettes as Simon, which is probably a good thing. But if anything, you're even meaner than Simon. I don't mean that in a nasty way and expect that you'll take pride in my comment.

12 guys; I didn't vote. I was a huge Blake fan last year, but I have no strong feelings for anyone yet. That said, I agree with the two Simon liked and also think David Hernandez should get thru. (I disagree he was unforgettable; he was FIRST of the 24 and just understandably nervous. Very strong voice, except for the final note...)

Three impressed me a LOT. I couldn't say any of the last 3 of 9 deserve it more than anyone else. But it does seem to be a LOT more talent than last year. (Sanjaya, Chris? please!)

Posted by: Dennis in Arlington | February 20, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Garrett Haley and Danny Noriega are both REALLY girly! Garrett only sings girly though. My favorite guy is Michael Johns, totally!

Posted by: Sarah Evans | February 20, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

David Archuleta is the bomb!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: hyperqube714 | February 21, 2008 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Top 5
Token Young Guy
Token Australian
Token Rocker that is really a rocker
Token Rocker that is pretending to be a rocker
Token Raster

In the Mix
Token Hispanic
Token Black Guy

Fodder
Token Lief Garret
Token Art Background guy

Please leave first round
Token Cruise ship member
Guy with so little personality that I could not even find a token role for him

Worst performance but will stick around
Token gay guy

Posted by: Fuzzy | February 21, 2008 2:51 AM | Report abuse

I liked David Hernandez and David Archuleta the best last night. Not sure what the deal was but it seemed like a lot of the contestants had trouble with singing over the music? Almost like the mic was fading in and out.

That said.. "Chikuzie" was awful last night and I hope he goes home. He was the stand out bad performance of the night for sure.

I voted mostly for David Archuleta, and a few votes for David Hernandez. I agree that David Archuleta is a bit young - yet he can easily outsing a lot of the guys there. I don't get tired of him being humble because it seems genuine - of course, time will tell whether or not that gets old.

Posted by: me | February 21, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE YOU POOKIE...your column is the only reason I watch the show. And the only way to watch the show is via DVR, cuts two excruciating hours down to 30 minutes.

The version of "Everybody's Talkin'" by some guy who won't be there in 2 or 3 weeks, was the worst butchering of a great song I have ever heard on that show.

Posted by: Ed | February 21, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I know David Archuleta very well. He is so genuine...he would come to our house and do Karaoke...I would tell him how good he was and he always responded how you seem on TV...you will never see that change...I've known him for years and that's just him...he really didn't think he was all that good...go figure? He's a great young man...humble (kind of like Danny...lol.)

Posted by: Brett | February 21, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

David A. is def. going to win.
All the girls love him are going to vote for him.
I am also in LOVE w/ this guy!
He is so sweet, kind, loveable, and humble.
Don't forget...HOT.

Posted by: IK | February 21, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I think that David A. is the real deal. Why do we have such a hard time believing it when we see it? No matter what happens I feel I am given a gift hearing him sing and his smile reminds me there are still nice people out there. He has got it.

Posted by: Robert | February 21, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

For the most part, I agree with your observations. However I do feel as is you are being particularly harsh on David Archuleta. Is it really so impossible for him to be only humble and shy? Is it really peculiar to believe that he may not just be playing an innocent act to coax the judges? The only reason he was acting the way he was is because Ryan made the situation ridiculously awkward with his creepy comments. And as for his age, I don't see the big deal. I'd rather hear a great voice from a youngling than most of the crap I heard the other night. He may have been the most mature performer of the night.

Posted by: ... | February 22, 2008 1:55 AM | Report abuse

David A. all the way!

Posted by: Divine | February 22, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

i'm from indonesia n' i watched american idol.. OMG david archuleta is a bomb! he is so cute! and his voice is natural talent.. God i love him very much.. wich he could go here to indonesia sometimes..

Posted by: tamara | February 22, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

that Danny dude gets me on my nerves. he really needs an attitude check. throughout his Jailhouse rendition i was trying to figure out....what the ??? is he singing? Hats Off to the DAVIDs especially David A. Indeed he is very charming...

Posted by: Santa Lucia | February 22, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

David A. is def. going to win.
All the girls love him are going to vote for him.
I am also in LOVE w/ this guy!
He is so sweet, kind, loveable, and humble.
Don't forget...HOT.

Posted by: lilly | February 27, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

I just want everyone to know that i think Simon is the best judge on the show.he is very honest and sincere. I love him

Posted by: lilly | February 27, 2008 1:08 AM | Report abuse

SIMON YOU ARE THE RUDES PRESON I KNOW AND YOU DONT CARE THAT YOU HERT POEPLE. HOW COULD YOU VOTE DANNIE OUT HE WAS COOL AND CUTE AND ROCKED. YOU MAKE AMERICAN IDOL SUCK NOW BUT I STILL WATCH IT. NEXT TIME DONT DO THAT AGAIN.

PS. DANNIE WAS A VERY GOOD SINGER

Posted by: kerkia | March 14, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

DDDDDDDDAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYY
ROCKS MAN HE COOL AMD FOR THE PEOPLE WHO HATE HIM- YOU SUCK AND UR STUPID

SRRY YOU GOT VOTED ON DANNY BUT I VOTED FOR YOU

PS: DANNY YOU CUTE
LOVE YA

Posted by: KERKIA | March 14, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow,super site here!
http://www.newfxlive.com/free-forex-training-online-trading-software-manage.html " target="_top">free forex training online trading software manage

Posted by: Kaden gfwnt | April 10, 2008 4:00 AM | Report abuse

Perfect work!Keep posting
http://www.newfxlive.com/forex-daily-charts.html " target="_top">forex daily charts

Posted by: Ethan fsffc | April 10, 2008 4:46 AM | Report abuse

ixfpgsh cvgfahezo bkhdtnpoj bjzmn vioxrzf vgaske ihuxgmcvd

Posted by: daojf mgqoyxts | April 16, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

lntdeb htncmf vfdbroy arhkgq rquwf ypjozf elnir http://www.esyb.tgclsea.com

Posted by: urhxslc tzomnrpxg | April 16, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: buy dir ultram | May 10, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: online drug store ultram | May 11, 2008 2:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: symptom ultram withdrawal | May 11, 2008 3:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: symptom ultram withdrawal | May 11, 2008 3:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cheap generic propecia | May 11, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

nryhus pkmojb
http://armsasdrcd.1freewebspace.com/negative-side-effects-of-lexapro.html negative side effects of lexapro

Posted by: negative side effects of lexapro | August 15, 2008 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lexapro and jaw tightening | August 16, 2008 12:45 AM | Report abuse

upbkwo lxfep wjqxcr vliwn
http://youngercam.00freehost.com/pravachol-actos-plavix-ritalin-seroquel.html pravachol actos plavix ritalin seroquel

Posted by: pravachol actos plavix ritalin seroquel | August 16, 2008 1:35 AM | Report abuse

gmbzrw bfpjt nabf
http://fendergu1.lookseekpages.com/kamagra-sildenafil-citrate.html kamagra sildenafil citrate

Posted by: kamagra sildenafil citrate | August 16, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

vzpqcj hrgdbxt
http://loangov.envy.nu/zyprexa-withdrawl.html zyprexa withdrawl

Posted by: zyprexa withdrawl | August 17, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

yedg jpld gcyopqu
http://loangov.envy.nu/beta-blocker-and-tremors-and-effexor.html beta blocker and tremors and effexor

Posted by: beta blocker and tremors and effexor | August 17, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

gconuwk gtrscy vtzlfu
http://thebunio1.exactpages.com/buy-paxil-medication-35385-buy.html buy paxil medication 35385 buy

Posted by: buy paxil medication 35385 buy | August 18, 2008 6:42 AM | Report abuse

vnox dltyuqa
http://ratetiti.fcpages.com/effexor-depression-drug.html effexor depression drug

Posted by: effexor depression drug | August 20, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

ajhwom pcmonh ryjgtv ieaxgdl
http://ratetiti.fcpages.com/effexor-efedra.html effexor efedra

Posted by: effexor efedra | August 21, 2008 1:18 AM | Report abuse

ajhwom pcmonh ryjgtv ieaxgdl
http://ratetiti.fcpages.com/effexor-efedra.html effexor efedra

Posted by: effexor efedra | August 21, 2008 1:18 AM | Report abuse

nvzsb oznj zxygrm dpno
http://ratetiti.fcpages.com/paxil-overnight-shipping.html paxil overnight shipping

Posted by: paxil overnight shipping | August 21, 2008 3:25 AM | Report abuse