'American Idol' Guys: 10 Things We Didn't Know About You

The 10 guys still standing last night on "American Idol" sing '70s songs while each reveals the One Thing America Might Not Know About Me.

What America Might Not Know About Michael Johns is he's "a bit of a jock" and a lot of his best songs come from playing tennis. Zzzzzzz . . .

Oh, sorry. Michael sings "Go Your Own Way." Judge Randy Jackson calls it "nice" and judge Paula Abdul calls it "charismatic" but judge Simon Cowell calls it a weak song choice. But it's always "been a dream" of Michael's to do a half-baked job of a Fleetwood Mac song, so "for me personally, absolutely it was the right song," he says.

Jason Castro (Michael Becker - Fox)

Ooh -- snap!

The One Thing America Might Not Know About Jason Castro is that he really hates doing interviews. He likes to sing and has been surprised "there's been a lot more of the not-music stuff" to being an Idolette -- things like having his picture taken. And talking. "I'm not good at talking," he explains.

His performance while playing guitar of "I Just Want to Be Your Everything" -- drowned out in parts by the "Idol" band -- was "all cool as an act," Randy says, "but the vocals weren't that great, dude." Paula says he's cute, but to lose the guitar. Simon says Jason looked "all out of sorts" and chose a "very average schmaltzy song."

The One Thing America Might Not Know About Luke Menard is that he's part of an a cappella group called Chapter Six. Wrong! We knew that. He sings "Killer Queen," which works with his voice but he sings it like a guy from an a cappella group. Or a toothpaste commercial.

Randaula likes it but Simon calls the performance a mistake. The audience boos and jeers. "Enough!" snaps Simon. They cheese it. He resumes telling Luke: "You are always going to be judged with the original, and the trouble is that the singer of that song had charisma and personality and you don't." Show host Ryan Seacrest says, "If you are a fan and you'd like to vote for Dawson's Creek here -- Luke," blah, blah, blah -- his best line so far this season.

Robbie Carrico thinks America will be surprised to learn he drag races. Nope again -- not so much. Robbie talks about how the smell of high-octane fuel and the burning of rubber tires give him a rush. And yet, Randaulamon still isn't buying him as a rocker. Come on guys, he's just sung "Hot Blooded"! He's waxed passionate about the smell of high-octane fuel, the rush of burning rubber! He's got uncombed greasy hair! Scruffy beard! Full rocker gear including unbuttoned shirt cuffs and wallet chain! What more do you want here?

"I don't know if the rock thing is really your thing," Randy says. "It's like you don't have enough Uuuuuuugh! to be a rock voice . . . Come on, kill me man!"

Paula wonders, "How does anybody know who you are but you?" and adds, "When you play it safe sometimes you lose your character." Which we think means she doesn't buy him as a rocker either.

"Rock is like an attitude, not something you would have to prove," Randy says.

"Which is my point -- why do I have to keep . . . " Robbie starts.

Simon cuts him off, telling him to stop being defensive.

Danny Noriega thinks we'd be surprised to learn he was in a punk band in 9th grade, though "it was just a lot of noise." Which is the least surprising thing we've heard all night.

He sings "Superstar: The Carpenters' Version." Gak. Randy says there were "some problems with the vocal." Ha! -- when he plays it back tomorrow he'll realize there was nothing but problems with the vocals. Paula tells Danny to "just let it go." Simon considers this week's song better than last week's "Jailhouse Rock" "disaster" and says the camera loves him.

"Last week I think was a disaster," Danny says.

"So you agreed with me!" Simon sneers.

"Ish," Danny says. We like him better for it.

David Hernandez thinks we probably don't know he was a gymnast as a child. He sings "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" while we try to imagine him doing cartwheels.

Randy calls it "hot, very nice, dude." Paula says his "pure" voice "pierces right through the very heart" while every note was "in the right pocket," after which, having run out of metaphors to mix, she gives him her Seal Clap Tribute. Simon calls it the best vocal of the night so far and says what he likes about David is that "when you are given some criticism, rather than sulking, you treat it as a challenge. You are not being childish about it."

We think Simon is letting the Idolette's backtalk get to him. Or, maybe he's just peeved he didn't get invited to the Academy Awards.

Seacrest asks Paula why the '70s was so great musically. "Because there were some great songs," she says.

Another week, another Jason-Yeager-as-whipping-post moment. Jason tells us he taught himself how to play the guitar, the piano and the drums, though he says, "I'm not an accomplished musician." Uh-huh.

The judges savage his rendition of the Doobie Brothers' "Long Train Running," which Paula notes hasn't got many notes. Unlike, say, a Madonna song -- those are just jammed with "notes." Simon says Jason was awkward and ordinary and his flourish at the end looked "like he was drunk at a party."

Jason looks stricken and says he was just trying to dance and have fun and not act like the "old dependable dog" Simon called him last week. Simon says Jason is like at the Oscars -- "the never-ending speech." Yup, he's ticked he wasn't allowed into the Oscars.

Chikezie Eze thinks the most surprising thing about himself is that his name is of Nigerian origin. He's wrong -- the most surprising thing about him is that he still insists, one week later, he loves that orange suit. He sings "I Believe" terrifically.

"Chikezie is back!" Randy roars. Paula calls it "fun" and "clever." Simon says it was "a million times better" than last week, after nearly calling him "Jacuzzi" again, and he announces he's gonna call him "Chi" because, Lord knows, he's much too busy to bother learning the names of the people he's judging on "American Idol."

David Cook (Michael Becker - Fox)

David Cook confides he's a "huge word nerd" because he knows really big words -- words like "juxtapose" and "vindicated" and "homage." Words are, he assures us, "kind of an addiction" for him.

And yet, the judges find him a much more convincing rocker than Robbie, which we think is all about the electric guitar David plays while singing "All Right Now." Electric guitar definitely trumps unbuttoned shirt cuffs.

"To me you're the real rocker from the boys this year," Randy says. Paula notes the song is one every kid wanted to play guitar to in junior high school and the girls all fell in love with the guitar player. David says that works for him. The Fox Decency Police mutter nervously. Simon advises him to lose the whole word-nerd thing. "Part of your problem is . . . you don't have a lot of charisma," Simon says.

Here's where it gets ugly. David gives Simon lip, saying isn't it fortunate he doesn't have to win Simon over with his charisma, and needs only to win viewers over.

"David, I think I know by now the rules of this competition," Simon sniffs. Seacrest says Simon looks annoyed. Simon says he's "slightly irritated" by David pointing out the rules of the show. Seacrest says he doesn't think David meant any disrespect. Simon rolls his eyes -- which can only mean next week he's going to have something to say about David's receding hairline. Hooray!

And finally, David Archuleta tells us we'd be surprised to learn he met the first season's "Idol" finalists when he went to watch the season finale and "ran into them" at their hotel and sang for them. In one of those incredible coincidences (stage mom) he has video of his performance, in front of -- you'll never guess -- Kelly Clarkson! "It was so scary and exciting and they were so positive . . . it helped me raise my self-esteem," he says.

He actually pulls off John Lennon's "Imagine," though we're guessing it's the first time that song has been greeted with squeals of delight from teenage girls in the audience -- including the 10 female Idolettes performing the next night.

Simon pronounces it a "very risky" song choice. "Right now, you're the one to beat and there are 19 very miserable contestants sitting here -- trust me -- after that," says Simon, twirling his mustache -- figuratively.

Randy calls it one of the best vocals he's ever heard on the show.

And Paula tells David, "I want to squish you, squeeze your head off and dangle you from my rearview mirror."

This, we believe, is not a reaction any human being previously has ever had to a singer's performance.

Though, we did want to hit Amy Adams over the head with a large blunt object when we watched her perform "Happy Working Song" at Sunday's Academy Awards. Does that count?

By Lisa de Moraes  |  February 27, 2008; 7:13 AM ET "American Idol"
Previous: 'American Idol': First Four to Go | Next: 'American Idol' Chicks: Goin' for the Sweeney

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

First!

Posted by: First! | February 27, 2008 7:42 AM

All in all one of the better all-male AI episodes - great lines kept coming mixed in with a couple decent performances.

Highlight by a mile was Adam, er David, Archuleta's nice vocal sandwiched by his really awkward ambush solo in front of the mortified Season 1 contestants (hmm, wonder who will be in a duet with him at the Finals?) and by Paula inviting him up to her suite for private lessons...

Posted by: Rob Iola | February 27, 2008 7:51 AM

Gave up watching! No need to since Paula "gives him her Seal Clap Tribute" is a perfect visual!

I think you need to call R&P "Pandy." It says a lot about what they are!

Posted by: Andrea | February 27, 2008 8:14 AM

Fourth!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 8:42 AM

Robbie Carrico's take on "Hot Blooded" was so mannered and perfectly articulated that it put me in mind of Kelsey Grammer singing the closing theme to "Frazier." His voice just isn't rough enough for the role he's trying to play.

I have to wonder whether Archuleta left off the first verse of "Imagine" because he didn't want America to hear him sing about imagining a world with no religion and no heaven.

Posted by: Tom T. | February 27, 2008 8:55 AM

After watching Archuleta sing last night I couldn't help but wonder just what type of album he would put out if he won? I'd assume it would be handled something like Clay Aiken's first album, but Archuleta is so young and he would have to appeal to young teenage girls with some kind of pop'ish song. And I just don't see David pulling off a song that someone under the age of 45 would like. He's too young and too male.

Posted by: Sam | February 27, 2008 9:09 AM

Au contraire, Lisa. I thought Paula's description of wanting to squish that boy was perfect. I had the same reaction in the face of such unfettered adorableness--it's like seeing a kitten that is incredibly cute and you want to CUDDLE, CUDDLE, OOPS I SQUEEZED IT TOO HARD. I'm sure that there will be a point when David is annoying and false, because he is only human. Until then, I will rejoice in his weeping parents and apparent sincerity, offering my own seal claps in the privacy of my living room.

Posted by: carol | February 27, 2008 9:09 AM

carol, YOU are so adorable.
i want to squish you (and all those other AI loyalists) as well.

Posted by: Big Paula | February 27, 2008 9:26 AM

Pretty good show, but I think the band overpowered more than one singer.

Danny Noriega gets on my nerves with his little pouty mouth.

And so far, David Archuleta is the one to beat.

The men are far better than the women this year. Let's see what song the biker chick screeches tonight.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | February 27, 2008 9:48 AM

Biker chick - does she model her hair off of Rick Moranis' "Dark Helmet" character in Space Balls?

Posted by: ish rhymes with squish | February 27, 2008 9:50 AM

Last nights show was better than opening night. So far my two favorites are David H and David A.

Posted by: Newyorker | February 27, 2008 10:01 AM

I can't stand when the contestants backtalk to Simon like they know absolutely everything about the business. I just want to ask them why, if they know everything already, they aren't famous and selling millions of records.

Posted by: Magnolia | February 27, 2008 10:05 AM

For the most part, I think the guys were better this week than last week. David H and David A are my faves. I think Jason Y got a raw deal from the judges--at least he wasn't boring, which is more than we can say for some of the contestants! I think Jason C was a one hit wonder with "Daydream" and he was really blah last night. I hope he goes home, along with David C who just screams his way through songs. Yuck.

Posted by: Amanda | February 27, 2008 10:06 AM

Danny Noriega looks like Miley Cyrus having a pouty moment.

The guys maybe better singers but they lack personality and charisma to be a star.

Posted by: brklyn | February 27, 2008 10:15 AM

It does help that David A had the best song to sing. A song everyone knows. He also sang that song on a show when he was 11. I have seen video of it. Seems like he gets his song choices approved.

Posted by: leigh | February 27, 2008 11:00 AM

I don't really understand the big hate on Jason Yeager. He's not the worst of the lot - IMHO - and seems like a genuinely nice guy. Same for David Cook. I really LIKE that he loves crossword puzzles - so do I. And I like that he was comfortable enough being himself to say so! Does Simon think he'd be more "interesting" if he copped to recreational IV drug use????

And Paula was right that women like smart men - which is probably why we don't react so well to Simon Cowell. Hating all over some nice guys doesn't really seem the smartest way to build the ratings - whereas picking better contestants to begin with would be.

Posted by: Jean | February 27, 2008 11:02 AM

I knew that the judges were going to be negative about Jason C. Thing is, he sold on i tunes more than David A and they were starting to worry so they knock him down a few and next week they will rave again. I know how this game works. It was also time to knock Michael Johns as now they have their chosen one in the lead.

Posted by: kim | February 27, 2008 11:02 AM

I really like David Archuleta and i think he is going to go far in life. He should be the one to win american idol because he is cute, he can sing and he is funny and nice. Which i really like about him. I hope he wins!!

~Jordan~ xx

Posted by: Jordan | February 27, 2008 11:08 AM

am I the only sain person in the world? am I the ONLY PERSON who DOESN'T like David? The kid CAN'T SING. He tortured Imagine. Kid SUCKS.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 11:21 AM

That comment from Paula slays me - why does she keep babbling. Simon wasn't at all nice last night - meaner than usual. Randy, well, Randy stays true to himself (haha). Lisa - your column is great - again, at work, laughing so hard I was crying!

Posted by: WI | February 27, 2008 11:21 AM

OK, am I the only person who thinks Michael Johns stinks? I mean, he screamed through that whole song, which was too high for him, his pitch was mostly terrible, has an awkward stage presence, and is way too "ain't I awesome, mate?" for my taste. What I don't understand is why the judges keep kissing his butt when he is so terrible. I think the three Davids will go far.

Posted by: Chris | February 27, 2008 11:31 AM

Kim -- that is interesting about iTunes. Explains A LOT.

Posted by: malie | February 27, 2008 11:34 AM

I watched the show last night and I've already forgotten most of the contestants, except for the last performance by David A. His rending of Imagine was really smooth, although I found Paula's delirious comment about wanting to hang his head from her rear view mirror very disturbing and grotesque. (She, obviously, meant it in a good way but I was reminded of the scenes of the doll hanging from the rear view mirror of the killer's taxi in "The Bone Collector". I'm not a prude and I like the Showtime's Dexter, but... ugh!!)

Posted by: AI Newbie | February 27, 2008 11:40 AM

David A is not nearly as skilled as reported. Having said that, he is only 17 which makes for a more authentic AI than the Jay Leno look-alike that won a couple seasons ago.

Posted by: jim | February 27, 2008 11:45 AM

Dangle him from her rearview mirror? Am I the only person here who think that Paula is nice, but she needs to come up with some way to talk without sounding like a murderess?

Posted by: jayne | February 27, 2008 11:46 AM

OMG. I nearly died when Paula made that comment about Archuleta. I agree he is unbearably adorable, but now Paula reminds me of a psychopathic aunt that would pinch your cheeks painfully as a child. Not to mention, her horrific choice of words. (cackles) "Erroo, I want to tear your head off and use it as a hood ornament, my pretty! Errooo" *heebie jeebies* She bugs the living crap out of me. Most of the performances last night just SUCKED SO bad, I've heard more impressive performances singing karaoke. On with it...I cringed and was violently offended at Robbie's lame, pathetic, anathema performance of "Hot Blooded". OMG, that could not have been worse if Anna Nicole Smith came back from the dead had sang it, all decayed and crap-faced and slurred. You don't understand. I was BEST FRIENDS with Lou Gramm's cousin. He is from my birth place, my home town Rochester, NY. Foreigner is SACRED. Carrico made my skin crawl. His hair did not look rock and roll, just filthy. The Aussie guy, I liked him at first, but he sounded just horrific. All shakey and nervous and weak. Last night I did something new. Everytime a new singer would come on, I wouldn't look at the screen. Just judging the vocals. And I am convinced Randy and Paula are either high or deaf. They slather praise on these people and it's WRONG. They won't sell a single album with those vocals, uninspired performances, cheese-nasty song choices and bad attitudes. Simon is kind of a trumped up machismo idiot, but at least he tells the truth and gets it right most of the time. "Pandy" are absolutely useless except for sideshow entertainment. I don't know how they keep Paula upright. She is so bat-crap crazy. In summery, in my opinion, the only two performances I found to be decent were David A and David H. I really think they are the only two that if I were in the competition, I would be concerned with. These kids do not seem to understand the concepts of "originality" or "making a song your own". I sing covers all the time, and I sing them like ME, I infuse them with my life and essence. If necessary, taking bloody acting lessons and at least pretend authentically that you connect with what you are singing. You can see an uninspired performance a mile away. ANYONE can sing notes on a page. The art of performance is taking a song and molding it to a shape, vocally, as if YOU wrote the song and experience the emotion of what the song is trying to say. My voice teacher said, "Anyone can sing. It takes a true artist to make music". How true. I feel like screaming who is coaching these people? Are they all really this vapid and lifeless?? Carrico claims he is a "rocker". He is a POSER. He has never lived that lifestyle. He went to JC Penny's and Hot Topic and got his little outfits there. God it makes me SICK. But then again, how can a 19 year old authentically convey an emotion they have never experienced? With Archuleta's performance...that was ballsy. It had the potential to be very "The wind beneath my wings" nauseating. He is innocent enough still though, that he made it seem very real. Hernandez...I have never liked the song he sang, but I loved his performance. He took a skeptical viewer and drew me in, and impressed me.
OK enough. I shudder to think what tomorrow's girls will do. Give me a microphone please....

Posted by: Andrea | February 27, 2008 11:54 AM

My coments are about the attitude of Ryan Seacrest Paula and sometimes Randy regarding Simon.Ryan's coments to simon are sometimes past the point of being rudeand if he can't thank Simon at the end of the show don't thank any of them. If simon wasn't on the show the ratings would go down. As for Paula i now put my TV on mute when its her turn to speak i and alot of people i've talked to think she should be replaced,her coments are so suckie we can't stand to listen to her.

Posted by: marge | February 27, 2008 11:55 AM

Be honest folks you have to take all of it with a grain of salt. by far the performance of the night was David A's imagine rerun your dvr's you'll see the one to beat will be there at the finals not the others.

Posted by: Glenn | February 27, 2008 12:01 PM

It would be nice if was noted here that David Archuleta sang Eva Cassidy's version of Imagine. Eva Cassidy was a singer from the Washington D.C. area and several articles about her have been in the Washington Post. Find her version on Youtube. David sang it beautifully, Eva sings it best.

Posted by: jennifer | February 27, 2008 12:03 PM

Andrea - quality comments but maybe you should consider switching to decaf... or whatever it is that Paula has in her Coke cup...

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 12:16 PM

I think Danny N. gets on my nerves and I'm not sure he should not be on the girls side.

Posted by: just me | February 27, 2008 12:17 PM

Andrea, girl, get a life or some serious therapy. Or better yet, become a judge on AI. You obviously have a better eye for talent than the professionals. Yeah, right!!

Posted by: Adean | February 27, 2008 12:17 PM

Marge I agree with you. What is up with Ryan not thanking Simon at the end of the show? It's happened for the past couple of shows. Simon has the only worthwhile comments.

I fail to see why they need a "judge" who will only see the silver lining in a performance. What's worse though is that they delgate Paula to be positive and to motivate - but she is completely inarticulate, what's the point of giving her airtime?

Posted by: agnes | February 27, 2008 12:18 PM

marge I am right there with you about seacrest and the looney-tunes of randy&paula. simon makes this show and he really needs to go off on them and not the idol singers.
i do not like david a...he is too earnest, fakey, phoney to me.

Posted by: NanFan | February 27, 2008 12:26 PM

Seal Clap Tribute ... hahahahaha

Posted by: anja | February 27, 2008 12:37 PM

I thought the music was too loud on most of the performances, so much that it drowns out the vocals. You get the feeling the band is completing with the contestants! Am I the only one noticing this? Maybe it sounds better live...
As for the performances David A has the best vocals hands down.

Posted by: Ajsgram | February 27, 2008 12:38 PM

My take on Robbie Carrico is that I agree with the judges about the rocker persona. He may love the music, and live the life, but that alone does not make him a rocker. His voice is much more pop-styled and some of his choices in songs are much more pop-oriented. You know Michael Bolton has tried to sing opera with some of the famous tenors and while he has a great range, it does not make him an opera singer. Carrico does not have the "growl" (or as Randy said the "unnnggghhh") in his voice and that makes too many of his covers sound like a pop-version of a rock song. It's not a sign of doubting who he is or him having to prove himself, just that he may not be cut out to be a rocker. It's more than a look and he just doesn't have the sound.

Posted by: Dadwannabe | February 27, 2008 12:40 PM

I've watched Idol since season 2 - got pulled in by Clay Aiken, and don't want to miss a single show since then. Now, with David A. I'm voting and voting. Love the whole concept of a regular guy or girl (Kelly Pickler, anyone?) making it big in the music business.

Posted by: mama Cat | February 27, 2008 12:41 PM

The comment about David A having the "best song" is off target. He did have the best song, IMHO, but the HARDEST one to sing. It is simple and beautiful, which means it requires ENORMOUS skill to pull off when the expectations are this high. When the first notes from the band started, I said outloud "oh no". That song is almost IMPOSSIBLE to sing without sounding cornball and schmaltzy or amateur (unless you are, of course, John Lennon). And yet this 17 year old kid did it. His phrasing is remarkable, and has to be seen as natural talent. Nobody is everyone's cup of tea, and I do wonder who would buy his albums. But man he is talented.

And Jason Yeager...is not.

Posted by: Chilly | February 27, 2008 12:52 PM

I'm glad several posters have commented in Seacrest's snubbing of Simon in the closing credits. Seacrest probably thinks it's funny, but it's not. It's rude. And have you noticed Paula has her back to Simon more often than not? She's dumb and rude.

I'm waiting for Simon to tell her, "Shut up, you stupid twit!"

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | February 27, 2008 1:06 PM

This shows really gets on my nerves but I'm still watching for some reason. The judges comments are inconsistent. All Right Now doesn't have more "notes" in it than "Long Train Running" but they liked the former and not the latter. Imagine was good as a test of vocal ability but the vocal runs were too much. Maybe the worst thing is the way the judges keep harping on song selection. Enough already! They aren't given an unlimited supply of songs to choose from and it should be irrelevant to the competition. Whoever wins will probably have songs chosen for them for their album anyway, so why not have the judges or producers choose their songs now so we don't have to hear the whining anymore!

Posted by: Rob | February 27, 2008 1:07 PM

Karen Carpenter must be spinning in her grave over Danny Noreiga's *version* of their song. Or eating a ham sandwich. I'm not sure.

Posted by: rolling in her grave | February 27, 2008 1:25 PM

Thanks Michael Johns for ruining my drug-induced memories of the 1970s for me with that howler-monkey interpretation of Fleetwood Mac's song. Hearing you sing it (and GOD FORBID you get voted off Thursday night lest we be tortured a second time!) would be enough to send Lindsay, Stevie, et. al back into THEIR OWN drug induced states.

Posted by: 70s child | February 27, 2008 1:27 PM

I agree that David A. has one of the best voices talent-wise...but he is the epitome of a Stage Kid! One who has worked the Open Mic, Talent Show and Singing Competition circuit several times over. He is not like, say, a Carrie Underwood, who was plucked straight from the farm. He is way too worldly at 17 for my taste. Yet he keeps pretending to be so surprised that people think he's good...GET OFF IT!! Trust me folks, he already KNOWS he's good! That's why I can't stand him.

For me, there are no real stars outshining the rest of the field just yet. We'll see what the next few weeks bring.

Posted by: fe | February 27, 2008 1:32 PM

this blog is more hilarious each week! keep it up.

Posted by: the mollusk | February 27, 2008 1:36 PM

Anybody notice the guys shun David A. during their end credits/SNL-like high fives moment? The kid is really in over his head, which may be why he wins. The vocals are solid, but his gee-whiz mentality is too underdog to ignore.

Posted by: KaraokeFanboy | February 27, 2008 2:01 PM

Was anyone else as bothered as I was with Simon. He kept leaning his thumb against his head with his fingers sticking up, giving him kinda a lopsided moose effect

Posted by: sarahs | February 27, 2008 2:06 PM

But man he [David A] is talented.

And Jason Yeager...is not.

Posted by: Chilly | February 27, 2008 12:52 PM

=====

Give it a break. They are all talented. Some more than others, I'll agree, but they are all decent singers. Some make bad choices, some had a bad week, some just really had a horrible performance. But they are all talented. All of these people in the final 24 (including last week's voted off) had at least one killer performance during the Hollywood week to make it through a really arduous week.
It's grueling, it's hard work and some handle it better than others.

Posted by: Dadwannabe | February 27, 2008 2:07 PM

For me the best performance of the night was David H. He was right on the money for every note. David A was good but I feel he sand "Heaven" better. I liked his rendition of John Lenon's song but I wasn't in love with it. The Australian guy and Jason Castro were a bit of a let down but they have enough time to redem themselves. For sure Jason Yeager just doesn't GOT it. Sorry to say but his song choices are so lame and last night he looked like he wanted to cry after the poor reviews. I'm sure he can sing but he lacks the "Wow" factor to win the competition. And Simon, tells it as it is..That's why i love Him.

Posted by: Tamy | February 27, 2008 2:33 PM

I think David is awesome, so much feeling, and compassion went in to that song.. he mre than professional.... Now it's time for the girls tonight will be anyone to close to performance....

Posted by: Tina from Ma.. | February 27, 2008 2:42 PM

I think it's great that David Cook is a word nerd, we could use some heros that are literate. A varied vocabulary could lead to some interesting song writing.

Posted by: Jean | February 27, 2008 2:45 PM

It's amusing how the different surveys read. The WaPo survey has Jason Y as the clear favorite to go (2/1 over the next favorite, Luke M). However, DialIdol reports that Jason Y seams to have the second highest total to David A. It should be interesting to see who goes, but I personally think that it will probably be Luke M and Robbie C but we'll see tomorrow.

Posted by: Dadwannabe | February 27, 2008 3:05 PM

I usually enjoy Simon's comments because I think he's the only judge that tends to make any sensible observations. However, last night, he was just OBNOXIOUS -- especially to David Cook. To comment that David Cook may be talented but lacked charisma was just plain stupid. Did Robbie C's "rock" performance seem more credible because we now know he drag races or did Michael John's pathetic rendition of a Fleetwood Mac song seem less crappy because we now know he play tennis? Boloney, as my Irish grandmother would say who incidentally had more charisma than Simon Cowel anyday.

Posted by: notbusyenufatwork | February 27, 2008 3:25 PM

Heros?

I know the definition of the word has been dumbed down substantially over the past decade or two, but...heros?

On American Idol?

Posted by: Ummm... | February 27, 2008 5:17 PM

The most talented so far is by no comparable match David A. As Randy so stated, "this season is of the youth." Even though I like Paula I have to agree with Simon when he says that he doesn't understand a word that she says. The producers should chastise Ryan Seacrest for not aknowledging Simon as a judge at the end of the program. Even though Simon is obnoxious, he is truthful and blunt "tells it like he sees it"!

Posted by: Idolwatcher | February 27, 2008 5:24 PM

DAVID ARCHULETA. I WISH IM YOUNGER THAN HIM. HE'S CUTE, HANDSOME, FUNNY, LEGENDARY VOICE

Posted by: Victoria Santoso | February 27, 2008 5:42 PM

Danny A - So over the doe-eyed 'they really like me' fauxprise; I mean, come on already, you've been on camera, with vocal coaches and in front of adoring audiences and producers for more years than some of these guys have even know they want to sing. The kid is, like, 45 in LA years:)

Jason - Like it or not, the records would sell.

David H - Yikes, he can sing.

Posted by: shnookums | February 27, 2008 8:17 PM

The Itunes things isnt true,
David Archuleta's Shop Around's popularity is more than Daydream by Jason Castro..
what were you talking about?

Posted by: Annie Yan | February 27, 2008 9:02 PM

David A's rhe most consistant,
he's consistantly amazing and probably the only one that always have a good night. The other Davids are alright.. but could just be a one hit wonder or a one night wonder.. same with Jason Castro

Posted by: Chole Williams | February 27, 2008 9:04 PM

I tend to agree that David A. skipped the first verse because it's anti-religious. Blake sang it last year, which I loved but some argue it turned off voters. As a big Lennon fan i think he sort of dumbed-down the meaning of the song. besides, I can only see this guy as a High-school musical kind of star. That being said, he's a very good singer all the same... i just tend to dislike him.
David H. really surprised me though, I hope he gives more performances like that, and David C. was also pretty entertaining, I'd prob spend $8 to hear him play with a band at the local music hall, but thats it
all in all, there are too many people named David. :P

Posted by: steph | February 27, 2008 9:11 PM

This year has the worst contestant's I've ever heard.The girls are even worse to sit
and listen to them is about as exciting as watching paint dry.These people are the cream of the crop?The music industry is in
bad shape.And whats up with Ryan Seacrest
he's acting like a 10 year old.If you can't be professional to all 3 judges then get someone who can.This show Im tuning out

Posted by: Mike Sheets | February 27, 2008 9:36 PM

Doesn't anybody think Jason Yaeger looks JUST like Scott Peterson??? He's creepy.

Posted by: JJBooknut | February 27, 2008 9:46 PM

David A. reminds me of a groomed pageant boy who has become his mother's prized poodle. He is too manufactured to me. What is actually natural about him? I only see the tweens buying his CDs. Look what happened to Jordin and Blake per se..

Posted by: Kat | February 27, 2008 9:56 PM

Danny Noriega reminds me of a GAY person....his movements, attitude..walking. ....talking...
dressing.....full GAY.

Posted by: dee kay | February 27, 2008 11:06 PM

Doesn't anyone besides me love Danny N.?? At first he was a little annoying, but now I see he has personality and confidence and is adorable. To go from 9th grade punk to Carpenters' "Superstar" shows true camp appreciation and aesthetics.

And if he's gay, so what??? Are you dissing Freddie Mercury?

Posted by: Not that there's anything wrong with that... | February 28, 2008 12:14 AM

jason is sooo cuutee!

Posted by: tracy | February 28, 2008 12:51 AM

This has got to be the best, most hilarious AI recap that I have ever read. How funny is "Simon rolls his eyes -- which can only mean next week he's going to have something to say about David's receding hairline. Hooray!"

Thank you...I thought I was the only one bothered by the weird "Trump" coverup with his bangs.

Now, can you also do a Lost recap?

Posted by: sunny | February 28, 2008 7:59 AM

Aww. No love for Amy Adams? The problem was that song should have had dancing vermin. Without singing and dancing rats, it's just another annoying Mencken song.

Posted by: Bat99 | February 28, 2008 2:02 PM

I AM TIRED OF SIMON COW! HE"S A COW AND REALLY DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO SIGN HIMSELF> HIS STUPID COMMENTS ARE ALTERING RESULTS AND GOOD SINGERS ARE LOSING OUT!

FOX SEND THE ARSE BACK TO ENGLAND!

I ALMOST CANNOT WATCH HIM AND HOW THE CONTESTANT CAN EVEN PERFORM IN FRONT OF HIM>

TYPICAL ENGLISH ARROGANCE...

Posted by: TIRED | February 28, 2008 8:49 PM

wow you people have nothing better to do then critisize the american idol singers and/or the judges? thoes singers may not be as good as you want them to be but they do one thing you people dont do, they actually work for there dreams harder than you know and the judges are there to give advise that will help them with there snging career that they might get. who are you to say that so and so sucks or that judge is mean or what ever but before you say anything bad i would like to see you working as hard for something you want. so to all thoes people out there saying rude comments about someone realize how hard they are working and what you can be doing instead of tipping complaits about so and so.

Posted by: wow | February 28, 2008 10:38 PM

Why are you guys worried about the whole 'not thanking Simon'? It's clearly a joke between the two as you see them eye each other and wink at the end. It all started last year when Simon called him 'sweetheart' and he was very much pissed at him and did it on purpose. This year is all in fun as he explained on his radio show when the many callers asked about the same thing. He said "You're wrong go watch it again. I will be sure to thank Simon tonight." He never did. It's all a joke people. Best thing to do is chill.

Posted by: Kay | March 1, 2008 8:52 PM

Danny is good, Simon don't know nothing

Posted by: Winder | March 5, 2008 1:54 PM

David Archuleta's so awesome!! You guys are just so jealous of him.. Please, its obviously amazing.. There is no reason for him to be voted off!!

Posted by: JoJO | March 8, 2008 4:37 AM

HAHAHAHA!!! I just want to laugh of the negative comments of the bad , non-feeling people who kept on saying that DAvid Archuleta can't sing.. But obviously he can! And it was the most awesome, angelic ,brilliant , touching voice i have ever heard in my entire life! If only I could get an album of his! I love this kid and from the contestant's interviews, they just praise him. Simon like him so much and that he has the biggest chances of winning... He is the one to beat, he is the chosen one, he is the NEXT American Idol. I agree with Jason Castro that he said that its sort of a David Archuleta Show. -LOL ..... or I mean, is it him who said it?

Posted by: Ab | March 8, 2008 4:44 AM

LET"S GIVE IT UP FOR..... DAVID ARCHULETA!!!! THE WINNER OF AMERICAN IDOL!!!! MY FAVORITE IDOL! I LOVE EVERY BIT OF HIM. THERE'S GONNA BE A BIG PROBLEM IN THE WORLD IF DAVID A. WILL LEAVE.. THIS IS THE BEST SEASON BECAUSE HE CAME! A STAR IS BORN!!! HE IS GONNA BE THE MOST HUMBLE, LIKEABLE , CHARMING , TALENTED GUY IN HOLLYWOOD!!! THE BEST PERSONALITY NOT LIKE ATHERS .. HIS KNOCK-OUT SMILE IS DESTINED FOR HOLLYWOOD! HIS TALENT IS DESTINED FOR SUPERSTARDOME!! HE IS DESTINED TO BE THE NEXT AMEICAN IDOL!! I know paula abdul will even cry harder if he's elliminated, but I'm sure he wont be because we'll never get tired supporting and voting him a million times! I love American Idol!!

Posted by: Bing | March 8, 2008 4:57 AM

Groove it!!! Vote for DAvid Archuleta!!
Isn't he so lucky? He must have the most confidence. He's a hollywood star! Bring it on for next week boy! Break everyone's leg!

Posted by: Denver | March 8, 2008 5:01 AM

danny and daivd i love you are so hotte

Posted by: brooke | March 15, 2008 2:38 PM

danny dose not look like a gril he is hott

Posted by: brooke | March 15, 2008 2:46 PM

my sister loves daivda. he is hot.

Posted by: blair | March 15, 2008 5:55 PM

FOR ALL YOU HATERS OUT THERE DANNY IS THE BOMB SO DON'T FORGET IT. AND EVERYBODY THAT THINKS HES GAY YOU MUST HAVE A TON OF TIME ON YOUR HANDS TO BE WRITTING BADLY ABOUT HIM I MEAN IF YOU SPEND SO MUCH TIME WRITING ABOUT A GUY THEN PEOPLE SOMETIMES THINK YOU ACTUALLY LIKE THE PERSON!!!! SO YOUR GAY!!! AND I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOU HAVE ALL THAT COURAGE TO GO OUT THERE AND DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT AND DAVID ARCHELETA DOES NOT SUCK!!!!!! GO DREDDS AND DAVID COOK ALSO WERE ROOTING FOR YA!

Posted by: DANNYIZAWESOME!!! | March 16, 2008 10:09 PM

rgbkld wvjq evyacu pyahc uolfh sveuwqcz yegfuqm

Posted by: gzbkedroi htiqmrn | April 16, 2008 1:51 PM

ribxj unbip ughzf kljhncm wadmgq lbvqwx apfwmk http://www.scelgmh.vbfpdy.com

Posted by: hgcljbizd edwrtbmx | April 16, 2008 1:51 PM

qctdse gbtkms uzyj
http://www.yourhealthforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4588 50 mg tablet ultram

Posted by: 50 mg tablet ultram | May 10, 2008 6:43 PM

qctdse gbtkms uzyj

Posted by: 50 mg tablet ultram | May 10, 2008 6:43 PM

Posted by: ultram order cheap | May 11, 2008 3:19 AM

Posted by: 100mg er ultram | May 11, 2008 5:29 AM

Posted by: sale ultram | May 11, 2008 6:00 AM

epufx tdbz gtmphwz
http://www.yourhealthforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4600 buy ultram without prescription

Posted by: buy ultram without prescription | May 11, 2008 11:03 AM

epufx tdbz gtmphwz

Posted by: buy ultram without prescription | May 11, 2008 11:03 AM

Posted by: optimum propecia dosage | May 11, 2008 3:10 PM

Posted by: optimum propecia dosage | May 11, 2008 3:10 PM

Posted by: effectiveness propecia | May 11, 2008 9:41 PM

xitrb rplyom glcdaib lhdjobg
http://imnipiteh.150m.com/give-dog-prozac.html give dog prozac

Posted by: give dog prozac | August 15, 2008 2:41 PM

ylrf vibz synd
http://imnipiteh.150m.com/paxil-causes-atrial-fibrillation.html paxil causes atrial fibrillation

Posted by: paxil causes atrial fibrillation | August 15, 2008 4:57 PM

Posted by: trazodone and meletonin | August 16, 2008 8:38 PM

Posted by: wellbutrin sr and side effects duration | August 17, 2008 3:55 PM

Posted by: antidepressants for anxiety | August 17, 2008 4:00 PM

Posted by: antidepressants for anxiety | August 17, 2008 4:01 PM

Posted by: rogaine facts | August 17, 2008 7:38 PM

timarx npoxsz
http://loangov.envy.nu/drugs-similar-to-zyprexa.html drugs similar to zyprexa

Posted by: drugs similar to zyprexa | August 17, 2008 9:01 PM

shqib bhdt yjip raovecq
http://thebunio1.exactpages.com/wolfe-effexor-xr-self-magazine.html wolfe effexor xr self magazine

Posted by: wolfe effexor xr self magazine | August 18, 2008 4:39 AM

jlqnsrm pwcagv wkudybm
http://thebunio1.exactpages.com/effexor-side-effects-choleteral.html effexor side effects choleteral

Posted by: effexor side effects choleteral | August 18, 2008 5:44 AM

Posted by: is effexor a ssri | August 18, 2008 5:55 AM

oqmyfjs oeixnqj hpoewfj igokhu
http://ratetiti.fcpages.com/seroquel-side-effects-in-children.html seroquel side effects in children

Posted by: seroquel side effects in children | August 21, 2008 1:12 AM