Lisa's Favorite Sites

'American Idol': Nurse Overmyer Sent Packing

Who's in, who's out, who will get to be part of the "American Idol" tour? Who's in this week's Bottom 3 -- other than Kristy Lee Cook?

Someone's number is up, show host Ryan Seacrest reveals at the top of this week's results show. If this is news to you, you probably can't read this anyway.

Amanda Overmyer is eliminated from the competition. (Frank Micelotta - Fox)

This is a very special night, Seacrest tells us. Sure, there's that whole Beatles music thing. But this week we get to go behind the scenes of an actual Ford Music Video. This week we will hear even more people we don't care about asking stupid questions of the Idolettes and the judges while talking on actual telephones. And Season 5's disarmingly dumb blonde Kelli Pickler will perform.

But first, Seacrest reveals this year's "mentors." They are: Dolly Parton, Mariah "Randy Jackson's worked with her" Carey, Andrew Lloyd Webber and Neil Diamond, who, yes, is still alive.

Seacrest also dares the 24,999 aspiring songwriters whose tunes were not picked to be last year's American Idol Treacle Tune, foisted upon winner Jordin Sparks, to try to come up with something even lamer than that winner, "This Is My Now." You know who you are, and we know you can do worse, so get crackin', cause time's running out. The Treacle Tune is scheduled to be unveiled on May 20.

Time for the Beatles Medley of Muzak, starting with David Archuleta, who sings "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." The rest of the Idolettes jump in. The pain ends soon enough.

Seacrest insists the Idolettes "really took us for a ride" on their second round of Beatles-tune performances, one night earlier. He's got the tape to prove it, which he plays. Yup, it's all that.

Why did we keep seeing someone's hand in the top left corner of the screen throughout Tuesday's performance show? Why is the hand showing up again in some of tonight's clips?

Seacrest introduces the Cushy Couch of Safety; on the other side of the stage, three Shiny Tractor Seats of Shame.

Nanny Brooke comes out on stage. Seacrest sends her to the couch. Carly Smithson comes out on stage. He sends her to climb into a Shiny Tractor Seat of Shame, viewers having not enjoyed her song about blackbirds any more than had judge Simon Cowell. Randaula scolds America for getting it wrong.

David A. goes to the couch, which stands to reason since he's won this thing. The Mosh Pit Chicks scream their approval. Michael Johns also makes the couch.

Time to go behind the scenes of the making of the Ford Music Video. This week it's a 1920s-era silent movie about picnickers in the 1950s who are attacked by UFOs and try to escape in 2008 Ford SUVs.

Seacrest brings David Cook out on stage and asks how he responds to Simon having called him "smug" the night before. "I don't," he replies smugly. He's sent to the couch.

Kristy Lee Cook is up next. Naturally, she's sent to the Shiny Tractor Seats of Shame, because it's what she does. Every week. But Jason Castro heads to the couch, ditto Ramiele Malubay.

Viewers this week phoned in wondering:

1) Why Simon spends so much money on cars but nothing on clothes?

2) Would Simon consider filming a sequel to the video shot for an earlier season in which he kissed fellow "Idol" judge Paula Abdul?

3) What did Ramiele last download on her iPod?

4) Was being in "Idol" everything Michael Johns had expected?

We tried to care. It didn't go well.

Time for Kelli Pickler to sing. Pickler has "grown in so many ways since leaving us," Seacrest says, by which he means her shoe size has dramatically increased.

Thankfully, she does not sing a Beatles tune; instead, appropriately enough, she sings a tribute to her "Red High Heels."

Then, former Idolettes Elliott Yamin and Fantasia Barrino are seen handing out mosquito nets in Angola and Elliott becomes a godfather while Fantasia sings "Amazing Grace" to plug the second "Idol Gives Back" charity fundraiser coming up early next month.

Back to the competition: Syesha is sent to the Couch, and Chikezie, too, leaving rocker Amanda Overmyer in the final Shiny Tractor Seat of Shame -- just where Simon predicted she'd wind up because she had become a one-trick singer.

Carly is redeployed to the Couch and, finally, Biker Nurse Amanda gets the old heave-ho and we'll never get to hear her sing that "vulnerable ballad" Paula suggested she tackle next. She graciously tells Seacrest that while it means she won't go on the "American Idol" tour, to have finished 11th out of the thousands who wanted to get in the competition was more than she expected, while Nanny Brooke puts on her Unhappy Face.

By Lisa de Moraes  |  March 20, 2008; 7:11 AM ET
Categories:  "American Idol"
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'American Idol': 11 More Beatles Songs Mangled
Next: 'American Idol': The Wave of the Past

Comments

Gald to see Amanda gone. She had 1 style and it just doesn't fit the AI mold.

Posted by: Dsmac | March 20, 2008 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Carly in the bottom 3 with Michael Johns and Ramiele safe on the couch?. Come on America, don't listen to the egoless Simon. He was totally wrong on that one. Pookie, no comments about Simon's lack of ego? I was sure you would jump all over that one.

Posted by: hodie | March 20, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

OMG! Couldn't believe Kristy, Carly AND Amanda all went to the tractor seats. And I was shocked, shocked I tell you, that Amanda got the boot. Delighted, too!

Carly finally covered the tattoos; but the jet black hair, black clothing and tats are all too goth. She looked more than a little surprised that she was in the bottom three.

Simon was right. America got it right two weeks in a row.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | March 20, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

I thing the mysterious hand is one of the mosh-pit blonde chicks doing the wave who strayed to close the the low-angle camera.

Posted by: jw | March 20, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Is it me, or is there something wrong with the group sing audio (besides the singing itself)? Ramiele's microphone was obviously off, perhaps not by accident. And near the end, it was obvious Amanda and at least one other person was lip-syncing. My only reason for watching these crap performances (and the Ford commercials for that matter) is to get Lisa's jokes and to rip on it myself. I need help.

I loved Ryan's comment on Pickler. I thought there would be more reaction from the crowd, but they are probably just as dumb as she is.

And again, Carly's "husband" wasn't in the audience. Either the producers sent the camera man to the wrong section, or he's back at the tattoo shop designing the art to fill out Carly's other arm.

Posted by: mdg | March 20, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Geez, get a LIFE people!!

Posted by: Rich | March 20, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

what is the "AI mold"?
let me try: trite, overhyped, pop crap.
give me a break.

here are contestants that were worse than Overmyer this week:
Kristy Lee Cook
Carly Smithson
Ramiele Malubay
Brooke White

Posted by: are you joking? | March 20, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Ch-ching. David Archuleta is Clay Aiken with a little more talent and Shrek in the gene pool. Go ahead. Let him win. Disaster city. It's only a matter of time before his father goes Gilooly on Carly.

Note to Amanda and other "rockers." This is American Idol -- the most uncool show ever. If you're on, you're a loser. End of story.

Posted by: Doorknob | March 20, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

A rocker chick CAN win AI, but she has to have one thing that Amanda didn't have: RANGE. Heart, The Pretenders, Gwen Stefani (to name but a few): all rocker chicks, all can sing a power-ballad, all can rock your socks off.

Posted by: con-e | March 20, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Sad when the best part of the show are the commercials (oh wait, the Super Bowl - never mind) - in this case the Ford commercials. Doorknob's right - Mr. David A. Dad is a ticking timebomb, which of course is all the more reason to keep watching. Didja see him in the studio during his son's video prelude Tuesday?

Posted by: Rob Iola | March 20, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Rich and Doorknob - I'm a little confused. The people who watch uncool AI and read Lisa's column and make comments need to get a life? How did YOU end up on this page?

Did anyone hear what next week's theme is going to be?

Posted by: waterfrontpropertyRich and | March 20, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

"

Amanda is a one-trick pony, and boy was I tired of it; however, kudos for her and her pluck and for not taking this whole AI thing too seriously."

---

I agree completely that chick from I think last year or two years ago, Gina whats-her-face, was way better than Skunk-Head is this year.

Rocker Nurse's biggest problem wasn't that she was a one-trick pony, as much as she wasn't even that good at the *one* trick.

Also, I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice that Skunk-Head wasn't singing during any of the group number, save for her solo.

Posted by: Duffman | March 20, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Is Kristy Lee Cook another Sanjaya waiting to happen? Is Nanny Brooke protected, Samson-like, by her ever changing hair styles - ooh forgot, she's a beauty school dropout. America got it WRONG, again.

Posted by: Nonna | March 20, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I agree with con-e. That being said, I'm glad Amanda is gone, hope Kristy and Brooke are gone soon! Carly should not have been in the bottom three. Don't know what next week's theme is - please, NOT the Beatles again.

Posted by: WI | March 20, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm surprised by how many people seem to dislike Carly. I think she has an absolutely gorgeous voice. Maybe American Idol isn't the place for her, but I certainly enjoy listening to her more than any of the others. Her Blackbird was beautiful (and one of my favorite Beatles tunes). Also, the black hair and blue eyes? It's called Irish, not Gothic.

Although I agree with the general sentiment regarding the tatoos...even just a short sleeve would be appreciated.

Posted by: Really?? | March 20, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I think I figured out the style AI is seeking. If you go to a used vinyl store and ask for "Perry Como" you will find it.
-- Phil, is who old enough to actually remember Perry Como.

If you are too young to have heard of Mr. Como, he is the only singer in pop music history who could put HIMSELF to sleep.

Posted by: Phil in Reston | March 20, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Did someone really say that the best part ofthe superbowl was the commercials? apparently, they didn't watch this year

Posted by: DCmarathoner | March 20, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

LDeM - what, no knock on Simon's lack of ego?! Hodie was right to call you out on that.

IMHO Kelli looked fantastic (much more mature than her look 2 years ago) and sang well. I was not a Kelli fan previously but I'm not afraid to give her props where due. She seemed comfortable on stage, sang well, looked great in red, and yes, has , um . . grown -- you know, . . professionally. Okay, she's not country royalty, but she did very well. Her song and video spent a lot of time at the top of country charts. The others (Carly - I'm speaking to you) need to take a hint from Kelli on how to look the part (hair, dress, engage the audience, not the camera) of an AI.

I'm okay with Amanda out. She had to go sometime. I and others predicted that if Kristy decountrified she might get a second look, which is what appears to have happened. Still, she will never be a top-3 finalist but she made the Top 10. Can any of us say that?

Carly should not have been in the bottom three. It was unfair that just because Simon doesn't like the song "Blackbird" -- he shouldn't have transferred his dislike to her performance of it. I watched my taped replay and she sang very well. Remiele was the worst of the girls Tue night and should've been B3.

Duffman and con-e are right -- a rocker chick (or guy) could win AI but they need to be more rounded than Amanda was. Or they need a unique voice like Chryssie Hynde. But your point(s) about singing ballads as well as rock songs is well taken. I liked Dilana from Rock Star INXS the first night I saw her. She is great.

Posted by: RedRocker | March 20, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Carly being in the bottom 3 was the result of her copping an attitude to Simon?

It's no secret that she's already had a chance in the industry and her album bombed. Due to some shakeups with her company perhaps it wasn't all her fault but I think people got turned off with her "we're all beaten down little birds trying to make it in the industry, blah, blah, blah."

I have a feeling the ego/attitude Amanda showed as well had the same result as it did with Carly.

It's a tight call but again, on overall talent alone, Kristy should have been the one sent packing and I think if Amanda had taken Simon's comments gracefully she'd be on the tour and Kristy would have been saying bye-bye.

Posted by: Mike | March 20, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

The mentors are Dolly, Neil Diamond, and Mariah???

I find it very strange that AI won't audition anyone over 30 and purports to be all about finding fresh, young talent, but doesn't manage to acquire any fresh young talent as mentors. Last year, wasn't Burt Bacharach one of the mentors? I also think it's really weird that - in the real world rap, hip hop, alternative (etc. you get the idea) are huge - but it just doesn't exist on Idol. It's like they want to anoint a 20-year-old to be the fresh new thing, as long as they don't do any music that will be off-putting to grandma.

I think Carly ended up in the bottom three because of all that guff about being a broken bird because of all the pain trying to break into the industry.

It was time for Amanda to go. Overhead Paula-style clapping for that.

Posted by: NW DC | March 20, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Well, Brooke will have the perfect song if they have to do Broadway when Andrew Lloyd Webber is mentor--"Beauty School Dropout."

And did Kelli say she just got back from Iraq, or she just got her new rack?

It's definitely DVR all the way when Mariah is mentor. Otherwise, the runs, bells, and whistles will have my dog barking for hours.

Posted by: the anti-Celine | March 20, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

are you joking 8:26-

You forgot "House of looooooooooo *crack* rds" Michael Johns. Don't give all your love to the women.

Posted by: bluemeanies | March 20, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

At least Beatles weeks are over - no "Piggies", no "Blue Jay Way" and no "Why Can't We Do It in the Road?".

I don't think Amanda understood what "Back in the USSR" was about - the Beach Boys come Chuck Berry vibe that it plays off, let alone what the lyrics mean.

Blackbird is an odd song to choose in this context - it can be very effective when played solo with accoustic guitar, but relies on hitting the final line correctly, which wasn't done. (and not to mention it's interpretation by Crazy Charlie, who saw it along with Helter Skelter as the presage of a coming race war)

Simon can say "that wasn't a very good song" to classics but when "written for AI" songs appear they don't have half the class of the Lennon/McCartney/Harrison and for one song only Starr songbook.

- So call me a Beatles fan...

Posted by: KDT | March 20, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I actually enjoyed Amanda's performances and interviews precisely because she was SO out of place in that group. Going back to an observation made by LDeM a couple of weeks ago, I'm wondering if Amanda's comment that she won't be going on the tour was an expression of relief, not of regret.

Posted by: Doc | March 20, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

"Anyway, her style of singing may not be to everyone's liking, and she certainly was not AI-winner material, but props to her for being herself out there and staying true to who she is."

---

It wasn't her style of singing that I didn't like, I love that style of singing. It was the fact that she couldn't sing in that style very well.

Posted by: Duffman | March 20, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I didn't say that I was cool. How great would it be if the last two finalists in American Idol were from Ireland and Australia?

Posted by: Doorknob | March 20, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

---
Doc, you related to Paula???

Actually I thought Amanda was kind of fun but couldn't listen to more than one song of hers in a row. She'd be a hoot in a bar band. And of course she lip synched the medley, notice she wasn't brought in until the very end. Agree with all she was a "one trick pony" but even so, you have to admit AI has just gotten a notch more boring.

Posted by: hodie | March 20, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Carly's trip to the Ignominious 3 was well deserved, IMHO. After all she mangled "Blackbird", one of my favorite Beatles tunes. Perhaps this scare will spur her to sing better, wear sleeves, and not get a matching facial tattoo to her Queequeg hubby.

Chiquita BaNanny Brooke is still on schedule to win (I Hope). As usual, I liked her song more and more on repeated listenings/viewings. I suggest closing your eyes and listening to her sing without visual distactions. There's an indefinable Something about her voice that's captivating and very emotionally expressive, even if she can't compete on sheer vocal power. I suggest that she can hint at some intriguing Dark Side by moving from Sunshine to Moonlight next week. Her least successful performances so far have been her "happy songs"--Happy Together and Here Comes the Sun. I'm waiting for her to blow everyone away some week with "Both Sides Now". She's utterly made for that song.

Don't think unsufferably cute little David A. will win, though he may be with Brooke in the Finale. The relative voting power of the Teenie-Tweeny zombie armies has historically weakened as the field narrows. Let's hope.

Posted by: Christin | March 20, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

NWDC has a good point about young contestants singing old music. It's almost like crowning a child king. I don't know what young mentors are available and who have a body of work (no pun, Dolly Parton) to draw upon.

That said, I can't wait for the Neil Diamond show, because even the dumbest and most innocent singers will think he's senile. (Talk about Yesterday's Songs.)

Michael Johns: "What is this in 'I Am, I Said' about 'no one heard at all, not even the chair?' Crikey!"

Chikeze: "'Cracklin' Rosie, you're a store-bought woman.' Mr. Diamond, is this an Eliot Spitzer joke?"

David A.: "What do you mean in 'Love on the Rocks' about pouring me a drink? Do you mean Kool-Aid? Because my mom and dad pour me Kool-Aid, and I drink it because, golly, I'm only 17!"

Carly: "I want to sing about coming to America, but do you mind if, instead of on a boat or plane, that I came from dear ole Ireland on the wings of a blackbird?"

David C: "The greatest human achievement since the lunar landing will be landing an emo version of 'Sweet Caroline.'"

Brooke, eyeing "Soolaimon's" lyrics: "'God of my want, want, want.' Now THAT's something I can dance to. But what do you mean, Mr. Diamond, about the 'wings of a flea.' Fleas don't have wings. Kellie Pickler told me."

Posted by: JD | March 20, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I was shocked that Carly was in B3, since her singing was far better than many others(Ramiele, Jason, etc.) BUT, I think the comments above are correct -- that her blathering about the meaning of Blackbird was annoying. Sass back, esp. to Simon, and you harm yourself. I think that was what happened to Amanda, as well. While I was ready for her to go, I was even more ready for Ramiele the BORING to go. At least Amanda was interesting. But her mouthiness finally did her in.

I think one of the reasons Kristi keeps surviving is that she is gracious, humble, and calm in the face of withering criticism. Her poise under heat gets her a few extra votes, including sympathy.

Carly does need to cover her arms. The broad American audience tolerates and can enjoy a small tattoo, esp. if it is innocuous (e.g. flower, butterfly) and it has some sentiment like "for my little sister with cancer." BUT, big old sleeve tattoos, with a portrait? Uh-uh. And when she showed off her latest "7" tattoo, she probably lost a few votes there. She seems to be pushing her husband's business - not cool, and he looks a bit strange too.

This may not be fair, but it is AI reality. I love Carly's voice and will continue to vote for her, but to stay in she has to homogenize her style away from the edginess. And the red satin top was not only tacky, but emphasized her tattoo rather than distracted from it.

Posted by: Idle fan | March 20, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Christin - I thoroughly agree about Brooke! I have consistently referred to her "husky" smokey voice tone as in a different class than just singing the notes. Not as keen on her "Sun" rendition as you were but not bad enough to warrant the many more who quickly jumped on her as a bottom feeder. But I disagree about Carly. I don't think she mangled anything, nor was her trip to B3 deserved (see my earlier post re: Simon not liking the song unfairly transferring to not liking her).

All - what, pray tell, is keeping Remiele around? She is like somebody's little sister playing dress up and trying to fit in. (She even admitted to being 'mothered' by Brooke!) She has done nothing even remotely remarkable in terms of song style or wow factor. She wouldn't impress on Junior AI.

Posted by: RedRocket | March 20, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Did you see the panic on everyone's face who came on stage after Carly? It was like, "if she could be there, so could I?" Even smug-mug David C. had a moment of pause...

Amanda wasn't the best, but she did bring *something* cool and raspy to the group. I do think it was a relief to her that she would not be going on the tour.

It's a good point about Carly's tattoos not being accepted in by the mainstream. But surely, it was the whining about the broken-winged blackbirds that put her in B3.

I wonder how much influence Ryan has on the voting. Sometimes after a performance, he talks to the contestants and encourages them to respond to the judges (like David C.), and sometimes he praises them (like Brooke), and sometimes he doesn't talk to them at all (Chickezie). It seems he is doing it off-the-cuff, but his preferential treatment is getting on my nerves, because don't you suppose some people watch the show just to see Ryan?

(JD- LMAO!!)

Posted by: Sam | March 20, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Well, Ramielle resonates more with the young teen/tween crowd (think the Hannah Montana crowd) who tend to vote in large packs and vote a lot. She also resonates with the Asian American crowd. I've seen some info on blogs to suggest that people want to see a successful Asian American pop star and hope that she might be it. Those demographic groups are voting for her and that's why she's been repeatedly safe.

Carly Smithson's problem in addition to the tattoos is that while she has one of the best voices in the group this year, she doesn't pick songs well and she comes across boring. She is doing a little bit of the rocker gal, a little of the diva pop-star and she's not doing enough to woo voting demographics that will remain loyal. She isn't creating a fan-base that will sustain her through a weak performance. And those of you who liked her rendition of Blackbird were in the vast minority. From blogs that I've read, most considered it good vocals but boring and uninspired as a performance.

Posted by: DadWannaBe | March 20, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

About the mentors, the problem is that there are very few younger artists that would make decent mentors. Most younger, hip, good artists and better performances and know what works for them. They don't have a lot of experience in what doesn't work, what is close but needs tweaking, how to make adjustments to make something that isn't working work, etc...e.g. mentoring. I agree that the older mentors are weaker performers looking for their older glory days, but in general, they are better for providing experience for improving performances. Look back over some of the mentors...Gwen Stefani who was one of the younger mentors was relatively unhelpful and boring as a mentor. But Diana Ross gave a lot of tips to the performers about what to adjust, how to improve, etc. And despite the frequent complaints about seeing too much David Foster, go back and watch his mentoring sessions. He knows what he's talking about and gives great mentoring help. His session with Elliot Yamin helped turn a good performance of "A Song For You" into one of the top performances ever on Idol.

Posted by: DadWannaBe | March 20, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I must have missed something. What was that "Kiss" thing all about between Simon and Paula?

Here is my question for any idolette, who needs to go next and why? THAT would make for interesting televison but maybe just a bit too mean.

Posted by: hodie | March 20, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

OK, I've done my share of Neil Diamond bashing over his later career (and the whole Sweet Caroline thing totally creeped me out), but he has written some great songs--"Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon"; "Solitary Man" (deliciously covered by Chris Isaak--why can't he be a mentor??); "I'm a Believer." Chikezie could totally rock "Cherry, Cherry." Neil Diamond night might be a whole lot better than we expect if people stay away from those treacly ballads.

Who would people like to see as more contemporary mentors?

Posted by: the anti-Celine | March 20, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the anti-Celine! Hadn't thought about Chikezie and Cherry, Cherry. He could blow that one away, as long as he stays away from musical instruments, especially harmonicas.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | March 20, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Neil Diamond rocks. (Okay, I'm a geezer.)

But the person that gets Holly Holy or Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show has the opportunity to knock one out of the park.

Posted by: polarstar | March 20, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I am SO glad that Amanda is gone. I am all for the "rocker chick" concept, but Amanda? Cannot. Sing.

Growling and twitching your way through southernized rock tunes? Not singing. Add to that the fright-night hair, tacky outfits and drag queen makeup and what you've got is a train wreck.

Posted by: Divine Ms K | March 20, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Divine Ms K | March 20, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I think Fox is cooking up: It will come down to Kristy Lee Cook and David Cook as the final two, and then they'll do a Ford Music Video with the cast of Fox's "Hell's Kitchen." In the video, the angry chef screams at them and they escape in a Ford to the tune of "Help."

Posted by: 2 Many Cooks | March 20, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Andrew Lloyd Weber also coming up. Just think what Broadway night is going to be like. I'm disappointed now Amanda is gone, would have been good for a laugh. Don't know enough Dolly tunes to comment about. Kristi may have her day yet. Simon will be in agony.

Posted by: hodie | March 20, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm...Amanda could probably have gotten away with one or two of the screaming songs from JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR. That's ALW and would not be as painful coming from her as a lot of other stuff might be (like all of the Beatles collection?).

I wonder if they'll do Broadway or ALW in particular. ALW tends to write for more *ahem* trained voices and that may make it difficult for Jason and Brooke to do their thing. It should favor the Davids, Carly and Ramielle. And if he chooses right, Michael might be able to produce another "Bohemian Rhapsody".

Posted by: DadWannaBe | March 20, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I heard that Idol Gives Back was donating all its funds this year to Taylor Hicks ... pretty touching if you ask me

Posted by: Ariock | March 20, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

don't you mean Taylor Hicks should give back?....Afterall, he ROBBED the title from three more deserving candidates.

Posted by: just me | March 20, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey, don't you think Amanda is secretly relieved that she will not be spending 3-4 months with the Idolettes? I know the money is attractive, but did you ever notice she was not involved with group dynamics on stage unless she was dragged into them? I always got the feeling that she thought the whole thing was lame. If I was her, aside from the financial opportunity - which is substantial - I would be glad I'm not sharing a bus with the top ten. That could be seriously life-changing, and not in a good way.

Posted by: Mirmo | March 20, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I believe Amanda was relieved that she will not be on the Idol Tour. Also, I believed she was disappointed when she made it to the final 12. I think she just wanted to do well enough for some exposure and knew she was never going to win.

Posted by: Irish_Ed | March 24, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

hello
is very good site blog.washingtonpost.com
i be back