Lisa's Favorite Sites

"American Idol": David Slays David

A record 97.5 million votes were cast for the Two Davids Tuesday night, "American Idol" host Ryan Seacrest says at the top of Wednesday's two-hour finale. That's the same, he explains, as if every single person in Canada, Spain, Ireland and Australia had cast one vote.

And what an infomercial it was! Only four minutes in, the Idolettes are already shilling for the Fox network's summer series "So You Think You Can Dance."

Carrie Underwood performs. (Michael Becker/FOX)

Not coincidentally, Janice Dickinson is seen in the audience, shouting, "I love you!" at some poor unsuspecting Idolette onstage, by way of plugging herself and her Oxygen reality series, "The Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency."

By 8:13 p.m. they are shamelessly hawking the Paramount flick "The Love Guru," who, Seacrest insists, is the official "American Idol" guru. Of course it's Mike Myers playing Guru Pitka. And, just like the previous night with the whole boxing robes and gloves gag, David Cook seems way too comfortable for a rocker guy helping to promote this flick. The Two Davids go to meet Guru Pitka at his ashram. David Cook, his hair still looking like a freshly thatched roof, though the here-again-gone-again Coroner Munchkin sidecurls are gone again, greets Myers with the movie's faux salutation, "Mariska Hargitay."

Baby Elmo Archuleta, meanwhile, looks utterly miserable, listening to Myers talk about how he, Baby Elmo, is very young but soon will have hair "in weird and wonderful places."

"It was a very 'interesting' session -- I had no idea what he was talking about," Baby Elmo says, uncomfortably. Cook, on the other hand, vamps: "I thought his advice was contradictory 'cause I've read his book" -- something no self-respecting rocker would do.

The Two Davids are handed the keys to Ford Hybrid SUVs because, Seacrest says, they got great feedback on their starring moments in this season's Ford Music Videos.

Around 8:45, ABC late-night guy Jimmy Kimmel gets to do a few minutes of stand-up: "I valet-parked outside -- how much should I tip Sanjaya?" Da-dum-dum!

Not until 8:55 do we see one of the Davids -- Thatched-Roof David -- finally get to sing a whole tune. It's "Sharp Dressed Man," with ZZ Top. They've got a tour coming up this summer! What are the odds?

Last year's winner Jordin Sparks is living the "Idol" dream, we're told. "But why should I have all the fun?" she asks from Disney World. We agree.

Turns out, she shouldn't. You, too, can audition just like on "American Idol" at the American Idol Experience at Disney World in Florida, she says.

"You get to live the dream at the place where dreams come true."

Minutes later, Sparks magically travels all the way from Disney World in Florida to the [Cellphone Company] Theatre in downtown Los Angeles to sing live for the "Idol" audience. But why did they dress her in Mylar and send her to the Brooke White Dance Academy?

Failed Idolette Syesha Mercado gets to sing with Seal, lucky girl.

Jason Castro has to sing "Hallelujah" again, by himself again, while chicks in the audience squeal -- again.

Carly Smithson and Michael Johns -- this year's shoulda coulda woulda "Idol" finalists -- sing a duet, Chris Daughtry's audition song, "The Letter."

Poor Graham Nash is stuck singing "Teach Your Children" with Nanny Brooke. But he's touring this summer with David Crosby and Stephen Stills and, presumably, they wanted to plug it on "Idol." Apparently Nash drew the short straw.

The six Idolette chicks sing "She Works Hard for the Money" by way of introducing Donna Summer, who wants to perform her new single, "Stomp Your Feet," while those pesky "So You Think You Can Dance" dancers throw themselves around the stage. She has to be helped down the stairway to the stage by two men. It's sad.

Then Summer breaks into her cheesetastic disco anthem "Last Dance" and Syesha gets to sing and dance next to her, like the Ghost of Donna Summer Past -- and those darn "SYTYCD" dancers continue to fling themselves all over the stage.

The six Idolette guys then sing with Bryan Adams -- Canada's answer to Bruce Springsteen, you know. Canada, you'll recall, is one of those countries that passed a law requiring every citizen to cast exactly one vote in this year's "American Idol." And, what a coincidence, Adams has got a new album out, "11."

Here's the Jonas Brothers -- they've got a tour coming up in July and it will be turned into a 3-D movie!

We take a break from your commercials for the following programming: It's this season's worst-auditioners tape time. Which can only mean Seacrest is about to bring out:

Renaldo Lapuz!

In his Liberace-attending- a-costume-party-as-messenger-god-Hermes outfit!

With the USC Marching Band!

And the USC Song Girls! (pompom chicks to you and me)

And judges Randy Jackson and Paula Abdul once again climb onstage to hog/share the spotlight with Renaldo. Is this the best "American Idol" finale ever or what?

What's this? Thatched Roof gets ZZ Top and all Baby Elmo gets is to sing with One Republic?

Seacrest never bothers explaining why we're about to watch previously unseen footage of Gladys Knight auditioning the Pips in 1972. Oh, because it's actually Ben Stiller, Jack Black and "Iron Man" Robert Downey Jr. pretending to be Pips. Did you know they're starring in that "Tropic Thunder" flick coming out in August?

Oh, look! It's Season 4 "Idol" winner Carrie Underwood, who, The Washington Post Team TV Designated "Idol" Back-Up Watcher Tamara Jones points out, is dressed as a Wimbledon streetwalker. Underwood is singing her newest tune about hopping into the sack with a random guy and waking up married to him so she doesn't even know her new "Last Name." Hate when that happens.

The 12 Idolettes sing together one last time -- before singing together on tour for 2.5 months.

Biker Nurse has aged a decade and looks mondo mad to be there. Even so, they should swap out Ramiele Malubay or Nanny Brooke and put her in the Tour of the Top 10 because at least she's different. It's good to see Alleged Lapdancer again, too.

It's 9:47 and still no Dead Singers as rumored here and there, no "MJ" -- as in Michael Jackson -- as teased by "Idol" judge Paula Abdul on celebrity suck-up show "Extra," no "biggest star in the world" as promised by exec producer Nigel Lythgoe on Seacrest's radio show.

Then George Michael appears and all is forgiven. He's got a tour starting in June and recently released his CD, "Twenty Five." He sings "Praying for Time," which is on his new CD and which, gotta say, is much better performed by him than by Carrie Underwood on this season's "Idol Gives Back." All three "Idol" judges, Randy Jackson, Paula and Simon Cowell, give him a standing ovation.

Randaula announces it's been one of the strongest "Idol" years ever and vows this is the start of the Two Davids' "destinies of their careers" and that it just goes to show "how truly special we are as people."

Simon then launches into a lengthy apology to Thatched Roof for having said, in keeping with the previous night's whole strained boxing-match theme, that he got knocked out by David Archuleta. We smell a set-up; Simon knows something.

At 9:59 p.m. Seacrest announces Thatched Roof is our new American Idol, pounding Baby Elmo by a whopping 12 million votes.

On cue, Thatched Roof begins to sing his new credibility-crushing "American Idol" Treacle Tune, "Time of My Life":

And I'll taste every moment
And live it out loud
I know this is the time,
This is the time
To be more than a name
Or a face in the crowd
I know this is the time
This is the time of my life
Time of my life

By Rose Jacobius  |  May 22, 2008; 7:33 AM ET
 | Tags: transfer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: "American Idol": The Two Davids
Next: Hollywood Labor's Favorite Grumpy Gramps

Comments

You left out the best performance of the night... the Davids singing "Hero".

Posted by: Katillac | May 22, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Last night's show proved one thing clearly ...

American Idol is fake.

The singers take dives when it's assumed that they all simply want to be #1.

Judges give feedback on performances that is geared to peoduce an opposite response (be harsh and the public votes to "protect").

There are "bounce" theories and what contestant will pick up [last weeks bootee's voters].

Drunk Paula spills the beans that Idolettes performance are previewed and that the "Live" songs are merely for us lemmings entertainment (the critiques have been thought out well in advance).

The shark has been officially jumped, by Simon & Ryan, and they have crash-landed into Paula's Margarita Slurpeee machine.

Posted by: P.T. Barnum | May 22, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

No, no, no. Lighten up, dude. It's still the best damn episode of the whole year! It was cheesy, yes, but I loved it. Wouldn't miss it!

Posted by: Jan | May 22, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

I agree with P.T. It's officially jumped over that shark.

Thanks for this blog, it made the season much more interesting.

Posted by: dubya | May 22, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Actually, I hope I didn't sound angry, because I'm really not.

I didn't have a strong opinion as to who was "chosen", but I do think based on season-long performances, Tuesdays performances, and over-all tonal quality of the voice that Archuletta should have won, hand-down.

Truly not angry, just giving my 2 cents.

This blog TRULY enhanced the experience. I think next year I won't watch the show at all, but will tune in to this blog.

Posted by: P.T. Barnum | May 22, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

You're forgetting, P.T.: Who would ever want to listen to a full CD of Archuleta????? I would probably fall asleep half-way through the first song.

Posted by: Ryan | May 22, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice Jason Castro wandering around the stage after the opening group number?

Posted by: watcher | May 22, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Lisa...how could you miss the opportunity to comment on the David Cook Guitar Hero commercial?? David A they gave some decency shorts. David Cook, however...well, he was just thrusting and shimmying in all his very risky business glory.

Posted by: Truly? | May 22, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Katillac: the "Hero" duet by the Davids was the best performance of the night. I thoroughly enjoyed that.

I didn't hate the whole 2-hour finale as much as I thought I would... there were some entertaining moments-- although I thought that the George Michael song was waaaay too long. I'm sure all the tween Swaybots in the audience were all thinking, "Like, um, who's this old man wearing sunglasses?"

I thought Cook deserved to win, and I was definitely happy with the results. The Winning Treacle Tune, was, of course, wretched, but I think he did the best he could with it.

Thanks for this season's blog, Lisa!

Posted by: Pittsburgher | May 22, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Re: 1972-era Gladys Knight with Stiller, Black and Downey:

If you're gonna' use the "dead singer" technology, at least have the decency to use a dead singer, not just an old one.

Posted by: WTF | May 22, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Pittsburgher-definitely with you in re the George Michael song. I felt like it was going on for an hour. Also, seriously, WHAT was Carrie Underwood wearing?! Egads.

I was drifting in and out of consciousness during the first part of the show, but I do recall thinking during a group number with Michael Johns, Chikezie, Stripper David and Jason Castro, "holy cow, how the f did Jason Castro outlast any of these guys?"

Posted by: ASinMoCo | May 22, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

The George Michael song was good in that we were able to catch some of the Lakers' game. Same thought as ASinMoCo - I enjoyed the guys singing until that week JC voice started up. Love the picture with the column - Carly and Michael Johns look genuinely happy for a friend.

Posted by: Kris | May 22, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

For those threatening to not watch AI next year but still read Lisa's column, I highly recommend watching the show because her column is soooo much more hilarious after watching than if you hadn't watched. My viewing was spotty, and I enjoyed her columns so much more when I had watched. As for George Michael, I couldn't watch him and not think about A) how over-the-hill he is and B) public bathrooms.
Great job, Lisa!

Posted by: RochesterNY | May 22, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Didn't watch the whole show; shamelessly channel flipped. Saw JC sing Hallelujah, definitely his shining moment/song, even the second time around. Popped back again and saw the Gladys Knight and the Pips bit, which I enjoyed because I heart Robert Downey Jr., but really it wasn't THAT funny now was it? Then came back at 9:55 for the results.

Agree that Simon (and assume all the judges) knew the final results, or had more concrete faith in DialIdol than I do. There was definitely something up there.

One thing that I think plays into this is throughout the season, we find out who is safe and who ends up in the tractor seats of shame, but we never know the actual vote tallies. I think that the producers probably run all sorts of projections based on week to week stats, and that then the judges are encouraged to "pump up the drama" by making it seem like someone is the clear front runner. When they actually know this person is second, or third, etc.

Personally, I'm happy DC won. I thought he was the performer with the most depth and talent. But I worry about DA -- hope his Dad doesn't heap mounds of abuse on him, he did very well in the final, and after all he's just a kid.

Posted by: NW DC | May 22, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Duffman's random thoughts:

- I agree with whomever said that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was actually pretty entertained most of the time.

- Last years two finalists got Mustangs. Enjoy the Escape Hybrid, boys. Still, it's better than the two who got Focuses (Foci?)

- Amanda Ovenmeyer, stay classy San Diego. Wow, she still looks like a paranoid zombie in those group numbers. And I still can't understand anything she says when she actually does sing.

- Hey remember David Hernandez? Yeah, me either.

- American Idol and Disney are teaming up. It's as if a million parents' bank accounts suddenly cried out all at once, and then were silence.

- Loved Jimmy Kimmel. Between the Sanjaya line, the Paula line, and the Rosemary and Satan Cowell line I was dying.

- The Pips thing was funny in theory. In reality it was too long.

- Donna Summer, god bless her. She can still wail, but really looks like someone hit her in the face with a shovel.

- My gf on Bryan Adams: "Where has that guy been for the last decade?"

- Carrie Underwood clad in a sequined white suit jacket and nothing else, singing a song about getting black out drunk and fornicating with a stranger. We've come a long way from "Jesus Take The Wheel."

- Did any one else notice that BaNanny sang harmony the entire time with Graham Nash? And she still couldn't hit all the notes.

- I'm glad the Jonas brothers were on there, because they illustrate the point I've been trying to make all year: Their audience is David A's audience. Did you notice anything different about their music vs. David A's music? That's been my point this whole time. David A didn't even sing with them, he sang with the "Apologize" people.

- How much must it suck to be the one goofy-looking Jonas brother?

Posted by: Duffman | May 22, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Actually, I'm an impartial viewer, but I call it like I see it.

I would not and have not bought CD's of:

Kelly Clarkson, Ruben Studdard, Fantasia Barrino, Carrie Underwood, or Taylor Hicks (can't even remember if I'm forgetting anyone else).

My point is NONE of the conestants are worth listening to after the show's over, IMO. Not even Thatched Roof ...

Posted by: P.T. Barnum | May 22, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

for the record i just want to say that when carrie underwood came out she looked like someone who comes out of the bathroom with toilet paper hanging out of their pants. except in her case it was more like a towel.

Posted by: your underwood is showing | May 22, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else think David H was a little smarky on "Father Figure"? Producers at least have a sense of humor when they gave him his lines!

Posted by: silentblogfan | May 22, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

97M votes, Cook wins by 12M.

From yesterday:
Cook is going to win this thing. By a large margin.

Posted by: Duodenum | May 21, 2008 11:14 AM

Posted by: Duodenum | May 22, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

AI Finale Fashion Notes

Where was Mike Myers wielding his razor when Bryan Adams and George Michael came out? I have concluded that no one over 35 should attempt the three-days-growth look.

And what the heck was Randy wearing? Did he dig that bright red jacket with white piping out of where they store the costumes for "The Music Man"? NOT a good look, especially on a large man.

On the other hand if I'm a designer, I want Syesha to be seen in my dresses. Everything she puts on looks fabulous.

And how about that Carly Smithson? I think she's been working out, and she looked great. That duet with Michael Johns was really entertaining, too. Maybe they're both better as a duo than on their own.

I'm really glad David Cook won -- he's creative, musical, has stage presence, and I like his voice. The "thatched roof" works well from the front, but odd when the camera swings around the back. But it sure is better than the CM look he started with. And filling in the facial hair WAS a good idea for him (put away your razor, Mike). Everyone loves a makeover!

Posted by: Mr. Blackwell aka owingsmills | May 22, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I actually felt like George Micheal was the only one who sang last night who had any connection at all with the words in the song. The AI format encourages performance over art. Its all about the outfits, the hair, the dancing, the spectacle. It was nice to hear someone simply stand and sing with feeling. I am very happy Cook won--he is by far the more authentic of the two finalists.

I wish AI would tone it down a little and make this a real singing competition, instead of a show shilling multiple products. There was actually an interview on NPR yesterday about how odd it is that American Idol producers are commercializing (literally) the show so much because traditionally shows that are struggling need the product tie-ins. I remember a time when the kind of product promotion AI persists in was thought of as tacky in the extreme. Thank you Lisa for pointing out the prevalence of it in last night's show!

Posted by: DONE | May 22, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

"When Carrie Underwood started moving in that outfit and the bottom of the jacket would flap open slightly, I thought any minute we were on the verge of "wardrobe malfunction." Talk about "risky business"! I think she and Dolly Parton must have gone to the same designer -- the one who does wedding dresses minus the skirt."

---

All I know is this: Carrie Underwood's legs were sculpted by Rodin. It's rare that you see her performing in something longer than 12 inches above her knees, because she knows what pays the bills.

Posted by: Duffman | May 22, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Did you see the camera close up of Baby Elmo's banned stage Dad when his boy did not win? Hate to see what happened when they got home!

Posted by: BDWESQTM | May 22, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it was the two glasses of wine beforehand, but I actually found the show fairly entertaining in a Lifetime Movie sort of way. The most enjoyable parts were the ones not necessarily intended to be funny, like:

--Randy's awful outfit

--Amanda's obvious discomfort singing Donna Summer songs (I think my 83-year old mother can swing her hips more)

--David H's sly look as he sang "warm and naked"

--Jordan's awful outfit, which looked like Alice in Wonderland goes to Vegas

I also thought Syeshsa's voice sounded really small next to Seal's, and that David A. needs George Michael's sunglasses so no one can tell if he's closing his eyes.

ZZ Top and Graham Nash--now, there's a bill you don't see every day!

Posted by: the anti-Celine | May 22, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Duffman, I agree--those legs could give Tina Turner some serious competition.

Posted by: the anti-Celine | May 22, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Memo to Randy Jackson: Yo Dawg, Capt. Kangaroo called, he wants his red jacket back.

Posted by: jpstang | May 22, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Luckily I TiVo'd the finals last night so I could fast forward through a lot of it. It was funny to see just how pissed off Amanda looked to be there. Could she look more unenthusiastic and mouth the words even more? Too bad so sad for her. I liked her during the tryouts and then her schtick got old.

It really didn't matter which one of them one, but for a change America seemed to have gotten it right. Cook was actually the first one in 6 years ( I didn't watch season 1) that actually was someone that I wanted to win.

Best highlight of this season was Simon's mortified look at Fantasia's performance. I think I had the same look the whole time too.

Maybe Fantasia and Amanda can go on tour together and just have a couple of hours of unintelligible singing. Ozzy Osbourne could interpret it for us....

Posted by: Anonymous | May 22, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Loved the outcome and think Cook is a classy guy - like the brother vibe between him and Elmo. Think Elmo needs a big bro what with scary Dad. Maybe something good will come from that.

What was with Randy's Christmas red suit with white piping? My husband and I were hysterical over it. Three possibilities:
1) DisneyWorld greeter or parking lot attendant (part of Fox/Disney deal);
2) Refreshments manager at Regal Cinema;
3) Summertime Santa Claus suit.
He and Paula cemented the Randuala partnership both decked out in red like high school promgoers. Only missing the corsage and boutonniere.

And how is it possible that after a full TWO hours of show, they ran over into the news hour. If you relied on DVR, you would have missed Cook singing treacle tune and hugging his fellow idolettes.

It was good to see my favs again: Michael, Carly, Chickeze, and Syesha. And how hot was Syesha looking. Thought she did well with Seal - that would have been worth not winning Idol so she could sing with him.

Agree with posters, watching AI makes Lisa's column even more delicious with morning coffee. My husband is now hooked on Lisa too - amazing because he rarely reads Style, but has become a fan of her writing/reviewing. Best paragraph was about Carrie Underwood. LMAO.

Lisa, please write a book. PUULLEEAAZZEE!

Posted by: Idle fan | May 22, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Oh me of little faiith! I was floored, but not unhappy, when Cook won. I thought for sure the tweeners would stay up four hours past their bedtime to vote for David A.

I only watched the last 5 minutes and am not unhappy about that either.

What I am unhappy about is this is last of Lisa's AI columns. Does she move on to other shows and reviews during the rest of the year? I'm not talking about her regular reviews in the WaPo. I'm talking about the coffee-through-the-nose reviews like the ones we've enjoyed on AI since January. (Chiquita BaNanny was my all-time favorite.)

Bye Lisa and blogger friends. See you in January '09, if not sooner.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | May 22, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Actually, Randy's suit reminded me of the orange one that Chikezie wore earlier in the season (to great mocking).

Love the columns and blog Lisa. I'm always sad when Idol season is over since we don't get to hear from you as often.

Posted by: HM | May 22, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Watching this program, I kinda felt like I vicariously drank some of Paula's mysterious kickapoo joy juice. It was so OCD - so bipolar - so almost interesting.

In keeping with the Guru, theme, I think they could have entitled this one "The Yin and Yang of American Idol."

ZZ Top AND Graham Nash? Oh - ZZ Top has made me laugh for decades - from their tunes ("Cheap Sunglasses") to their pimped rides ("The Terminator" and "CadZZilla") - though in honor of Carrie Underwood, they might have sung "Legs".

Graham Nash is a reminder of what "music" actually is and used to sound like - though I felt for him getting stuck with Brooke for two-part. I'll be looking for venues for the Crosby, Stills, Nash reunion this summer.

So Leonard Cohen is the only sensible Canadian who refused to be on this show and perform with an Idol? Jason was forced to do "Hallelujah" solo so was spared comparison to an actual folk rocker/singer songwriter/poet/novelist.

Regardless of what she looks like, Donna Summer can still sing better than any of the female idolettes - and there's a lesson there, too.

As for George Michael, all I can say is, if the Jonas brothers are Idolicious, he's surely the anti-Idol - the "I got busted tapping my toe in the men's room" AI producer's nightmare of sorts.

But what is not a nightmare for them is whoever actually "won". The minute they announced the Disney theme tie-in - I knew that was David A's future and 19's gold mine. He can perform there for about the next 50 years - which is at least as long as Dick Clark pulled 17 off. Can you imagine, to quote Ben Stiller, the "googillion dollars" 19 got for that licensing deal??!!

I thought the Pips thing went on waaaay too long, although I enjoyed watching Robert Downey Jr., who some of you may remember was, in fact, the US "Singing Detective". Hey - the original in the UK was Michael Gambon - so go figure.

It also reminded me that Gladys Knight could sing rings around all 12 Idolettes glommed together - as most of the pro performers demonstrated.

On that note, I saw that Steve Winwood is celebrating his 50th year in the biz with a new CD, and that might be something to invest in - not a Disney theme tour or an AI sticky toffee pudding theme song.

Have a great summer, everyone. Remember that cable tends to kick a** during this season. See you over on the FX Channel - it's not just "Fox" without the "o".

Posted by: Jean | May 22, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or does Jordin Sparks look like Charles Barkley in drag?

Man is she chunky; she makes Ruben Studdard look like Manut Bol for chrissakes

Posted by: Dennis Miller | May 22, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I feel like I have just been through labor: so much energy expended for such a long time, and now I'm thrilled it's over and that I get to relish the results.

First of all, I think both Davids will end up being famous. I think the best man won. I think Carrie Underwood looked INCREDIBLE and sounded great. I think poor Jordan needs to get her hands out of the chips -- her wardrobe person must be working overtime to find outfits that flatter her. LOVED the Gladys Knight bit, and have rewatched it today.

Is AI rigged? I'd like not think so. In fact, I'm desperate not to think so. But when Simon gave his big apology before the announcement, it gave me huge pause. Was he trying to save professional face in front of millions of viewers?

BTW: I missed Papa Archuleta's reaction when his son lost. Can anyone describe for me?

Lisa, thank you for making me laugh outloud every single "morning after". The pill should be as effective as your column. What a talent.

Now off to figure out what to do with my Tuesday and Wednesday nights for the next six months.

Posted by: kim2write | May 22, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I too enjoyed last night and all the cheesy little jokes. I'll admit it really doesn't take much to entertain me.
I missed David Cs guitar hero commercial only saw David As. I was wondering what was up there. He is a minor so boxers instead of briefs. Sorry girls.
Liked the Gladys night skit, reminded me an SNL type skit but agree it went on a couple minutes longer than it should have. I love Jack Black anyway!
My husb, who did not follow AI, was baffled by Renaldo Lapuz and asked as he passed through, is this what AIs like?? Had to explain the joke and why I was cracking up. Killed me the first time when Paula started signing to his song.
David H actually did not sing "warm and naked at my side" during Father Figure. He hummed or said something else unintelligible on the word "naked". For the censors I imagine. Would have been funnier if they gave David A that line. I too noticed how much George Michael aged. I was actually at one of his last North American performances 17yrs ago (has it really been that long?) when I was in college (pre-public bathroom scandal). Bryan Adams was actually unrecognizable. Donna Summer looked as though she may suffer from Parkinsons or SLE or some medical condition that has really stiffened her. Why did they make her come down steps???? Time has not been kind. Speakin of stiff, Amanda Overmeyer. She was not top 10, couldn't she have said "No?". She obviously did not want to be there and she stunk more than usual. Loved Carly and Michael Johns but I think there was something wrong with the audio during there duet. Carly kept going out. Did anynone else notice or was it my TV?
Very glad David Cook won!!! Keep your chin up David A. One year to go and you can be free of scary stage Dad.

Posted by: hodie | May 22, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Hodie: yes, I agree on the Carly sound thing. Almost like something was technically wrong. They sounded great together, and he looked hotter than ever.

I could not watch David Hernandez -- he dances like a stripper. Guess you can take the guy out of the Chippendales.

Posted by: kim2write | May 22, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kim2write | May 22, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kim2write | May 22, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

VERY happy that DC won. A really classy kid. He and his family seem like very nice, genuine people, and this win should bring some much needed happiness into their lives.

Sorry about Archie and Dadzilla; hopefully AI will ensure the kid gets a contract of some sort, pronto, so that he can get out of the house.

What the HECK was up with that Tom Cruise-wannabe Guitar Hero commercial thing? Good lord, that wasn't craptastic. It was totally embarrassing for DC; for DA, it was practically kiddie porn.

I think the Pips thing would have worked better if the "Pips" had started doing silly physical stuff a lot sooner than towards the end. And yeah, Gladys and her shoes could beat the stuffing out of the Idolette girls and most of the guys, any day of the week.

Loved it when JC got done singing (which was really nice, IMO), then just got up and walked off the stage. It was in keeping with his Hey, whatev, dude, attitude.

GM may well have had a cold; either way, that was just bad. Bad, bad, bad, and should not have been allowed.

ZZ Top was fab; DC fit right in.

Loved Bryan Adams, but agree that the half-beard has got to go. Either do it, or not, but the 90s are gone so get over it.

Very happy to see Simon eat crow, but I don't think he "knew" the outcome unless he, too, looked at dialidol.com and saw the writing on the wall. Either way it doesn't matter, because he *was* ugly to DC on Tuesday and he owed that apology. DC seemed a little standoffish when the apology was delivered; it wasn't the first time that Simon had rudely insulted the kid -- remember on Idol Gives Back when DC wore the white jacket, and Simon said something about the white jacket looking pretentiuos? DC looked so shocked that Simon would say something like that. That kid never had a mean bone in his body, and he didn't deserve Simon's attitude on Tuesday, so kudos to Simon for delivering, YAY to DC for winning. (And some people thought he deliberately didn't "bring it" so that he'd lose -- sorry, that conspiracy theory didn't fly this time, Pookie. Still love ya, though.)

Will miss the blog. Will miss the commenters. 'Till January -- Cheers!

Posted by: Lane | May 22, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised no one has ripped on Randy's Captain Kangeroo jacket :)

Posted by: Anonymous | May 22, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Man, it was a great show--but poor Baby Elmo! I heartily congratulate David Cook--he's very deserving (and between the two of them, I like Cookie's style of music better)--but I just realized why it may have been better that Jordin won last season than Melinda (aka "the person who actually deserved it"): in the end, this is a fairy tale kids' dream, and I felt so sad that little David, who's been dreaming of winning AI since he was 11 years old and saw Kelly Clarkson win...well, it hurt quite unexpectedly a lot. :(

I mean, Little David took it very well and was adorable as always smiling up at Cookie while he sang his Treacle Tune (quite well, especially the end with the big notes--nothing shakes this guy up, which is a testament to how ready he is for stardom, I guess). But yeah... even though I spent the previous night contributing a bit to that whopping 97.5 million vote total in the name of Prince Archuleta , I still felt... guilty. @_@;;

Lisa, you missed a few things in your recap, though.

First off, those SYTYCD dancers (who rock my socks--go, Pasha from Russia!!!

And the Davids *did* sing a whole song early on in the performance--how could you forget the beautiful duet of "Hero" by Chad Kroeger they did? Great harmonies in that song, though I wish Archie had really let it loose, cuz I think Cookie held back so as not to overpower him. (What a good big brother he is! :D) The two Davids actually sound really good together--I loved this duet and their mini one later doing "Heaven" during the Bryan Adams medley. SO FREAKIN' CUTE. *___*

But, much as I loved their duets, I have to admit the Carly-Michael one was a lot more fun to watch. Those two were freakin' JAMMING up there--if you'd told me they were the 2 finalists, I would've believed you! I can't wait for Michael Johns to release an album--I think I'll enjoy his music quite a bit too. ^^

Overall, it was a fantastic night. When I saw the departed idolettes again, I was shocked at how happy I was to see them. Even ppl who annoyed the heck out of me like Nanny Brooke, Jason and Horse Pawner (Jason's "Hallelujah" was *really* beautiful this time, I thought--last time, he was losing his voice, but he sounded great this time). I was a bit annoyed at the blatant self-promotions and movie plug (REALLY annoyed at that Love Guru, actually, but at least it showed us more adorable interaction between the Davids ^^

And Lisa, thank you for a wonderful season of recaps. Can't wait til next year~

Posted by: Cy | May 22, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Accidently stumbled into the comments for Lisa's other column/Site, Wow, many of the posters there are tres annoyed at our Snarky Scribe. It's quite a different world over there.

Today's column has one of the two best lines of the year: Carrie Underwood dressed as a Wimbledon Streetwalker. That one goes into my permanent(?) memory bank, along with "Chiquita BaNanny". BTW, putting Carrie's act right next to Jordin exposed poor Jordin as the Sparkless amateur she is. Carrie just keeps getting better and better and ever lovelier. A date at SW19, anyone?

How amazingly cool that Cook landslided little Archie. Cynical me is still reeling in disbelief at this display of the voters' taste and intelligence.

Posted by: Christin | May 22, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the blog cut out a really random chunk of my comment above... what I was *trying* to say about the SYTYCD dancers throwing them around onstage was this:

"First off, those SYTYCD dancers (who rock my socks--go, Pasha from Russia!!!) were doing some crazy breaking during the girls' Donna Summers medley--BUT, they weren't the ones rolling madly about the stage--that was Seacrest! Don't tell me you missed him?? Go back and watch--he's removed his snazzy blazer and is tumbling around like Turtles Gone Wild or something--it was hilarious! Why does that boy always try to dance when the SYTYCD pros are onstage? He looks so silly~~ It's very cute of him to try, but he has NO rhythm and looks like bald turkey flapping its wings awkwardly up there. LoL! Poor Seacrest--I guess he resented Simon's remarks about him having no talent and is trying (and failing) to prove otherwise, I guess... ^^"

That was it! But it had to be said--Seacrest is crazy with the dancing. @_@; He, more than any other celeb, needs to go on Dancing With the Stars so he can finally dance to his heart's content without looking like a fool. But...I'm sure Fox would have him assasinated before he could get to rehearsal 1... lol!

Posted by: Cy | May 22, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Has everyone read the anti-Liz comments on the "column" version of this blog? We need to defend our Liz!

Posted by: con-e | May 22, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

(cripes!)

LISA... I mean LISA!
(my sincerest apologies)

(con-e goes to get some coffee, pronto)

Posted by: con-e | May 22, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Cy, I just don't think I could watch Seabiscuit on DWTS. Brings up ugly pictures in my mind of Ryan in a Posa Doble outfit! Make it stop!

Posted by: hodie | May 22, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Lisa-
The abject self-loathing I experience as a result of watching AI has been greatly mitigated by laughing my butt off at your column. Many thanks for a fun season.

Posted by: philip | May 22, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Christin, Con-e, what is this other blog you are mentioning?

Posted by: hodie | May 22, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Lisa's column on the other side is usually not as snarky as the one we read. It seems that today the two columns are one and the same. Let them vent. They wouldn't recognize good, hilarious, snarky sarcasm and criticism if it bit them on the bunns.

That's why they are there and we are here.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | May 22, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Hodie - It's in Style section proper.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | May 22, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cy | May 22, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry. The goofballs on the other comment page are complaining about Lisa's "elitist condensation" and her inability to bask in the "great talent and nostalgia." I heard people like that existed, I just didn't believe it.

Posted by: Doorknob | May 22, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Bryan Adams was sporting stubble; that's his popped-pimple pock-marked jowls. Maybe they've developed a patina over the years

Posted by: Rhet Ina | May 22, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I just feel bad for poor Archie -- can you imagine the beating he got from Creepy Stage dad last night in his hotel room. Anybody who saw the Jackson 5 TV movie knows what I'm talking about....

Posted by: Crikey | May 22, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

OH MY GOSH. I can't believe no one has mentioned this. Was the comment about Sanjaya valet parking the car the most incredibly racist thing you've ever heard?

Posted by: kim2write | May 22, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I noted the Sanjaya thing too...I don't think it was intended to be racist, unless there is a sterotype about Indian guys being valets, which I don't think there is. If he had said cab driver or made a reference to 7-Eleven, then that would have been bad.

Posted by: AH | May 22, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Exactly how was the Sanjaya valet comment racist?

Seriously, enlighten me.

Posted by: Huh? | May 22, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Things the Producers (er, um, voters) saved us from ...

Carly's homecoming day:

Visits to her crib, featuring her tattoo-faced hubby crying, and his piercings getting all rusty.

Danny Noriega's homecoming day:

A bunch of male cheerleaders with bulging lycra pants and lisps singing his praises.

Posted by: Fox Saves | May 22, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

One small point: When Donna Summer was singing "Stamp Your Feet," she was surrounded by break dancers who were actually waving their feet in the air.

Posted by: Tom T. | May 22, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Best moment of the night was when Seacrest was sitting on the magic carpet hurtling toward the steps at the edge of the stage... I'm sure the producers had a lot of fun with that!

Posted by: Genie | May 22, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Cy-I THOUGHT that was Seacrest rolling about during the Donna Summer number, but the truth is, I was only half-conscious at the time, so I thought I might have imagined it, or entered some weird parallel universe. Glad to know that actually happened...

I also thought the Pips skit was pretty funny. Just because you don't really expect Robert Downey Jr. to be participating in something like that.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | May 22, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

OK guys we REALLY have to go visit the comments on the"column" version of Pookies article. Its a mess over there. We've got Pookie haters, WaPO haters, humor haters...just plain haters. Its unreal how seriously people take AI. God help you if you think there are things about this show and the people on it that are JUST SO RIDICULOUS. They can't seem to see the humor in our dear Pookies observations. I for one will miss this blog. Its the best thing about AI and has become the main reason I still watch. FIGHT BACK DEFEND POOKIE!!! Where's Al Sharpton when you need him??

Posted by: ldjackson58 | May 22, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kim2write | May 22, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"And so happy that BaNanny got to duo with Graham Nash. That was fun and must have been a dream come true for our lovely Nanny. Even if the harmonics were indeed a tad below Nash's harmonies with David Crosby and Steven Stills. With a little more practice, maybe we'll get the ultimate followup CD ever: Crosby, Stills, Nash and White. Helplessly hoping for that dream to come true."

---

Oh Tin Man, I'll miss *you* the most.

Posted by: Duffman | May 22, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"Here's how I thought the Sanjaya comment was racist. He was comparing him to a valet. A lot of valets are minorities. If he had said this about Chikizee, it would have felt the same "wrong" way to me. Am I way off on this? Was he just referring to the fact that he's out of work?"

---

Ummmm....really, it was just a reference to the fact of how bad Sanjaya Sucked. Sanjaya Sucks => No Career in Music => New Career Parking Cars.

Posted by: Duffman | May 22, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I was soooo hoping David Hernandez would have pull-away pants for the finale!
But seriously, Pookie, Nanny Brooke did just fine with Graham Nash; they seemed to genuinely enjoy each other, and it was adorable to see them up there performing barefoot together.

Posted by: chantooz | May 22, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Where's dadwannabe? Did I miss him?

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | May 22, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I like how they had Castro reprise "Halleleujah", in a hollow gesture to appease the teennie-boppers.

They should have had him re-do "I Shot the Sheriff" instead; that was pure Cheese-Tastic Gold!

Posted by: Leave Marley in Peace | May 22, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

No...I'm here, but I was lurking.

I've been having tons of problems from my desk computer with the WaPo site since yesterday. If this goes through, I'll send a longer post.

Posted by: DadWannaBe | May 22, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so my desktop computer has been blocked. I'm now on my laptop.

First, let me restate my apologies for yesterday. I was having problems with the WaPo site and it froze my browser several times. So, I hit "stop" and "refresh" and it resubmitted the posting every time I did that, but they didn't appear on my screen. So I ended up with six copies posted. Apparently the WaPo site has blocked my desktop IP since all posts that I make from there go into the ether.

So my thoughts from last night.

I think it was clear from the Ford commercials, Risky Business ads and the Guru promo that the Munchkin Idol can act and Baby Elmo...cannot. Not really surprising since David C used to do community theater (revealed when he sang ALW's "Music of the Night"). But Baby Elmo looked particularly awkward all night long including when he was singing (when he often doesn't look quite as bad).

Could Amanda Overmeyer have appeared any less interested in being there? She clearly didn't want to have anything to do with the choreography, and at one point when they were supposed to be dancing and singing backup to Donna Summer, she was just walking around, looking off into space and didn't even pretend to put her microphone near her mouth (right after a great lip-syncing view of Ramielle).

So apparently the Wham! King inherited something from all the performing and touring with Elton John...EJ's 70's collection of glasses.

It's a shame that Jordin Sparks has evolved from big voiced diva to a shrieker. I think she watched one Carly Smithson performance too many.

I thought the Gladys Knight routine was great...if they had ended it after about 15-20 minutes which was all the joke was worth. The extra 1-2 minutes was just flat and boring.

And does Paul own anything in her wardrobe that will actually stay up on her body for a full hour? Yes another fall off her body dress...

Last, I am glad for this ending. I think that this is best for everyone. I think Baby Elmo needs to go back and finish high school. He is amazingly talented and has a great voice, but he is too immature for the business industry. He needs to finish high school (go to the prom for goodness sake) and then he can head on out into the big ol' world. You know what? He'll still be talented in 5 years and at 22 will probably be much more mature and able to take the music world by storm. Even in 2-3 years. But he needs more time to be a kid and grow up. Remember, childhood lost can never be recovered and we've all seen too many child or teen stars that burn out and have major problems.

Posted by: DadWannaBe | May 22, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Oh and my 2 cents on why Munchkin Idol won over Baby Elmo is that I think all along MI has had significantly more fans, but that they only tend to vote once or twice (or maybe a small handful of times) if they vote at all. Baby Elmo's fans have been the auto-redialing bunch voting dozens or hundreds of times.

This week, especially with the hypercritical one-side critiques from the AI peanut gallery, I think the MI fans decided to come out and vote much more often than usual. I saw on another blog that many Baby Elmo fans said that they had voted over 1000 times for "BabyFace". And they were encouraging each other to keep voting until the bitter end. So, I think the judges critique finally got the Cookies to get up and vote (or vote more). And that is without taking into account how the Broadway Babe and Captain Cosmo fans split on the two Davids.

Posted by: DadWannaBe | May 22, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I have not seen the shows from Tuesday and Wednesday yet, just the last few minutes of the final last night so that not the radio this morning would tell me who won. Looking forward to seeing the stuff on the weekend. But it has been so great to read this blog. Thanks so much, Lisa, I had a lot of fun! See you all next season, I guess :-)

Posted by: anja | May 22, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Dadwannabe and so many others for all of your cogent comments and great humor. I'm panicking over Lisa withdrawal.

Was surprised that there were as many things in last night's show to enjoy as to loathe. Mostly relieved Cook won.

Re: Randy's red suit. During his summation comments I realized what that was about: he matches his Coca Cola cup. Seriously - the piping echoes the lettering. I bet CC bought that for him and Paula's red dress (she was really spilling her shoes last night).

I think Amanda was drunk or high. If you see her expression and hear her song line during final group number- she is practically slurring her words. She was literally out of it - Paula juice.

I stumbled into that other Lisa blog 2 weeks ago - totally lame, so AOLish. If you select television from main WP website, you 'll see that Lisa's column on top left is the one that leads to this blog. On right bottom corner is also a link, but as others said, it is the print version only. In order to comment you have to "register". Lame. It's another world over there - some Lisa fans trying to enjoy blogging with idiots insistent on trashing her. Another planet.

Until we blog Lisa's great columns again. Now, into Americon Idol recovery (are there support groups for this?). ;-)

Posted by: Holly | May 22, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

The comments on Lisa's column are priceless. I particularly enjoyed the one accusing her of "dripping with elitist condensation (sic)."

Posted by: Raysmom | May 22, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

"dripping with elitist condensation (sic)." --- bwahahahaha.

I was over there early this morning and found all the Lisa-bashing a little too depressing. I like the gang over here.

And BTW for the first time EVER I dialed the 866 last night for David Cook. Even though I am definitely not the target demographic/age. Interesting to note that the prerecorded message doesn't say anything about what the call actually costs. Once I get my phone bill, I will achieve enlightenment, I guess. Anyway, as a result of my first ever actual participation in the outcome, I now feel personally responsible (and pleased) over the outcome. How sad is that?

Posted by: NW DC | May 22, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

866 numbers are toll free. The only way you'll see a charge is if you have a calling plan with a limited number of calls per month and you exceed that limit. Do you really think the archu-groupies would really be able to dial 1000+ times each if they had to pay for each call?

This is why so many of us are lobbying for call limits per phone number, so that a handful of rabid fans can't save weaker performers over stronger performers.

Posted by: DadWannaBe | May 22, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey everyone, its been great. Until January... If anyone knows a good substitute blog, let us know. I'll check back here a few times.
Lisa, I have enjoyed your column immensely and have referred you to many new fans. Keep it up and don't listen to those who wouldn't know funny if it bit them on the *ss.

Posted by: hodie | May 22, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Idol 2008 Fashion Awards:

1st Place: Carrie Underwood (Wimbledon Streetwalker white)
2nd Place: Brooke White (Chicquita BaNanny yellow)
Last Place: Carly Smithson (sleeveless anything)

Posted by: Christin | May 22, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I haven't seen it mentioned by anyone else, so I guess it was just my imagination, but I have to ask anyway. :-)

When they did that rather silly segment where the Davids go to see Mike Myers as the Guru (good grief), I felt like Mike Myers wasn't really there and might have been photoshopped (or the TV equivalent) in separately or something.

It just seemed like when he and the Davids were interacting, they weren't focusing visually on each other. It looked like the Davids were looking in the general vicinity of Myers, but not really at him -- as if they'd been told to look at a certain spot but Myers wasn't standing there.

Is it just me? I guess so, since no one's mentioned it.

Posted by: Abigail | May 22, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

hodie--maybe we should take over a thread on Weingarten's "Gene Pool"...although what would be snark about without our talent pendulum that is AI?

Posted by: DadWannaBe | May 22, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Abigail - entirely possible. That whole segment struck me as strange, irrelevant - just a movie plug.Things are often filmed that way (saves time)

Posted by: Holly | May 22, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Last nights show saved the season for me..Renaldo Lapug..the Pips..funny,funny..Love you Pookie love your wit..

Posted by: She never even calls me Pookie | May 22, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I thought Randy was just a walking Coke ad. Think about it, the white piping was the "swoosh" on the red coke can...

Posted by: momof2 | May 22, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Great to see Tallyman (Edward Bodington, President of Telescope) with a speaking role again. He's one of my favorite AI characters, appearing once each year to deliver the final results card to Seacrest. So English like Simon. But where was the AI treacle-tune Gospel Choir to "bring it home" at the end?

Posted by: Christin | May 22, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Hahaha...tallyman...so can you hear Munchkin Idol singing "Come Mr. Tallyman, lead me to salvation..." and the top-six men singing backup "Daylight come and me wanna go home..."

Yes it's late and I'm punchy.

:-)

Posted by: DadWannaBe | May 23, 2008 2:31 AM | Report abuse

Hold up. No one mentioned the Mike Myers Guru moment with he told Disney David one day soon he may "go boom-boom" in his "pull-ups." Disney David had no idea what that meant, and my husband and I about died. Very funny. There were a couple of racy moments.

Posted by: atb | May 23, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Dadwannabe, good idea on the weingarten gene pool. Start a thread and name it something that the rest of us will recognize like Pookie groupies or something like that, and I'll join. Hope the rest of you regulars will too. We can even, gasp, talk about subjects other than AI!

Posted by: hodie | May 23, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Provocation Entertainment pulled the same stunt with Miramax when they were representing David O. Russell who's gotten some bad publicity of late.

Posted by: ronald | May 23, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

O M G - BEST COMMENTS BY FAR

While I'll fess up the I NEVER like or could even tolerate Fantasia (is that like calling a 7' tall guy shorty or what?), I think Simon's (the only judge who counts)
expression was darn near identical to mine - W T F was THAT?? (and it was not only about the lack of annunciation(?))
Cross between horror and disgust!

Posted by: ask | May 24, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Fox Saves - APPLAUSE!!!
your post about DH's homecoming - !!!! F- A- B- ULOUS!!!

Posted by: ask | May 24, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Oops - I thought I read David Hernandez (who freaks me out) and wen back and saw it was Danny Noriega - basicly your comments work for either of them!

Posted by: ASK | May 24, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

My husband had one funny comment about Jordin's look. He said she looks like she ate a huge amount of chocolate and then put on the golden wrapping paper for her performance on the show. :-)

Posted by: anja | May 25, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

hodie,

I dropped by the Gene Pool and unfortunately, on the WaPo sites, users cannot create threads, only posts and responses to threads. We would need Lord High Weingarten to create a thread for us. (Hey--maybe if we agreed to call him that, he would!)

Posted by: DadWannaBe | May 27, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Hodie and dadWannaBe - keep us posted when you figure this out. I'm mourning Lisa's column and blog.

Posted by: Idle fan | May 27, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

yeah I figured out we couldn't make our own threads when I visited the site for the first time. Hey call Lord Weingarten. Or any techies out there who want to start a blog we can all join? been swamped at work. sorry for my late response

Posted by: hodie | May 29, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse