Lisa's Favorite Sites

Reality Is the New Reality

The reality television genre has "exploded in the last five or six years," David Lyle, president of Fox Reality Channel told critics at Summer TV Press Tour 2008 Friday.

According to Lyle, in 2002 broadcast TV networks introduced 27 reality shows, and 22 reality shows were introduced by cable networks. This year there will be 32 new reality shows on broadcast and 140 on cable.

"Reality is no longer alternative programming. In fact, it is the cornerstone of modern television, like it or not," he said.

In the critics' case, that would be "or not."

By Rose Jacobius  |  July 12, 2008; 1:44 AM ET
 | Tags: transfer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Getting 'Leverage' Out of 'Coupling'
Next: Broadway's Okay, but No 'Law & Order'

Comments

If, as a nation, it is our goal to show the world that we have proudly dumbed down our country, with the willing participation of the public, then the proliferation of reality television stands as a testament to our psyche.

I, however, am in agreement with the writer.

Posted by: anytime | July 12, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

same old, can't really make fun of Wipeout or Deal or No Deal without making fun of Lost or Desperate Housewives. It is all dreck, even Public Television for the most part.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | July 12, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

All of TV is dreck-including Public Television yet 'angriestdogintheworld' chooses to read washington post TV columns AND chooses to post thoughts on the site? Longing for the great comedy of Three's Company? I Love Lucy? There's plenty of intelligent TV airing... you just have to be intelligent to find it.

Posted by: Dan | July 14, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

All I can say is YUCK!

Posted by: Shaun | July 19, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Well, 43 of these reality shows were stolen from me. In one of the biggest scandals in reality TV history, my shows have been disbursed all over TV and Cable with out giving permission, receiving credit or getting one cent for my shows (literally). Currently as a courtesy to all of the parties involved ,I'm giving them an opportunity to settle out of court to walk away free and clear but time is running out so stayed tuned. There are too many intricate details for it not to be a coincidence. You can tell my shows when you see them many have commented on the internet as "Never been seen on tv before" "Life changing for the better" "Helping and giving back to the poor" and just innovative entertainment while helping your average person that people rarely think of.

WHen I release this story, it will send America on a scavenger Hunt to find my shows and compare them with the ones appearing on air.

Stay tuned or feel free to contact me at
truthdontchange@yahoo.com

Posted by: Truth Dont Change | July 19, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

bcjg zkrlwp smhkclv iwfkthjd xcklj ndswvob ejsk

Posted by: igfzhqsxv otuhgiv | July 31, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

pvjch fvosnaedj jgmheio eaocpxrkm vgujql mocw hxpcmanz http://www.dcywl.burk.com

Posted by: wjleg brwflqc | July 31, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse