American Idol: Hard Luck Story

MS-suffering Osmonds. Tatted single moms. Orphaned flower children. Is this a sweeps week of "Tyra"? Sadly, it's just another auditions episode of "American Idol: Hard Luck Story." Tonight: Salt Lake City.

Show host Ryan Seacrest warns us at the top of the show that they encountered some of the happiest people they've ever met on the show in Salt Lake City.

"Welcome to Utah, the friendliest place on earth!" Gigantic Happy Crowd roars on cue.

Contestant Tara Mathews. (Michael Becker -- Fox)

And before we have time to even wipe the treacle from our face, we're hit with David, son of the oldest Osmond Brother, Alan, who has shown up at the "Idol" audition with an un-trumpable sob story -- he suffers from a form of multiple sclerosis.

We admit, we resent this. Osmonds already are clogging up the non-scripted bits of the TV landscape. Donnie's aggressively campaigning to shame "Dancing with the Stars" producers into giving him one of the coveted star-spots. Marie, the Fainting Osmond, has a brand spanking new talk show that has just been cleared in New York and Los Angeles and seems destined to launch in the fall. Why can't they just leave us our beloved "American Idol"?

Before our horrified eyes, "Idol" unleashes clips of the Osmond Brothers on the "Andy Williams Show." You heard me -- "The Andy Williams Show." On Fox! We lunge for the remote, but it's too late: David's talking about his barbershop quartet.

It gets worse.

David explains MS is a weird disease that ebbs and flows and, while he looks all fine and Osmond-like now, it could flair up at any moment, sending him back to his wheelchair. Photo of David in wheelchair.

David sings. The judges pretend they have critical things to say about his performance. But since he's been rehearsing since, like, the womb, they don't stand a chance. They can't beat the irresistible urge to give him a golden pass to Hollywood.

The Osmond is too strong.

"So genuine!" new "Idol" judge Kara DioGuardi gushes.

The Osmond has won.

Next up, Goth Girl Tara Mathews. She says she has ESP "pretty strong" because she can tell when certain people are going to die in real life or on TV. However, her ESP is not strong enough to allow her to know she is a terrible singer and hasn't a chance.

Tara gives the "Idol" camera the finger - nicely covered by the "American Idol" logo - as she leaves the audition room, rejected. She will have the distinction of being the one and only auditioner in Salt Lake City we will see saying or doing something rude. Lucky chick.

We finally meet Giant Pink Bunny Guy -- "Idol" producers have been teasing him since the season debut. He's actually Greg the Rabbit -- as opposed to "Greg the Bunny," the brilliant IFC interstitials turned short-lived Fox comedy series. Greg the Rabbit is the good-luck person for Chris Kirkhan, who might have made it through to Hollywood had it not been for the whole rabbit thing.

"They didn't approve, but what can you do?" Chris asks the camera.

Which cues up a medley of auditioners using "aw-shucks" and "golly gee" speak, while the song "Put on a Happy Face" is heard, by way of driving home the cliché that everyone in Salt Lake City is somehow wholesome. Segue to consomme of rejected Salt Lake City auditioners thanking judges profusely for rejecting them.

"I think I need to move here," judge Paula Abdul tells fellow judges Randy Jackson, Kara and Simon Cowell -- the only judge worth listening to (though this season maybe not so much).

Auditioning new mom Frankie Jordan has a nice voice, an adorable child and a supportive husband, which is more than you can say for Megan Corkrey, who says she simultaneously decided to dump her husband and to audition for "Idol" -- on her birthday. After we see her playing with her adorable baby, she sings a bajillion-year-old Oscar Hammerstein and Jerome Kern tune, "Can't Help Lovin' That Man of Mine" from the ancient musical "Show Boat." Which, if this were a normal season of "American Idol" would have gotten her the old heave ho. But this is "American Idol: Hard Luck Story" and the judges love the song and they love her -- Simon actually uses that very word. Both moms are Hollywood bound.

High school senior class president Austin Sisneros says he's auditioning "to inspire people to tell them it's okay to follow their dreams" -- mistaking this for "American Idol: Up with People."

He tells the judges this is "awesome -- the most amazing opportinity. " Are those lungs printed on the back of his T-shirt -- or angel wings?

His first song choice is awful. The judges are dubious. Don't put him through! Don't put him through!

"You don't want me to fail -- you want me to do good," Austin tells the judges, big ol' Class President smile on his face.

"We haven't quite joined the fan club yet," Simon snaps back. Love him.

Class President breaks into another song he's rehearsed: "It Takes a Village" by Raffi:

It takes a village to raise a child.
It takes a village,
No one can do it alone.
It takes a village to raise a child.

This should be a serious deal killer. But, it's not because, Simon explains, he's so "likable."

"I'm so excited for this," Class President says as he begins to weep outside the auditions room.

Cue up the Weeping Rejectee Medley.

"Bad auditions blow through like a cold mountain wind," Seacrest says, having found one more Salt Lake City cliché lying around.

Really Tall Chick Taylor Vainfanua is next. She explains the family moved to Utah because her parents recognized her talent. We'll think about that later.

Kara tells the other judges she saw Taylor practicing in the bathroom a few times and is impressed how much Taylor seems to want this. We're impressed the Idol judges don't have private baths, since, again in Salt Lake City, they seem to have each been driven to the audition spot in their own stretch ecological-disaster limo.

Taylor's performance is good, though she's no Single Mom. Randy declares it one of the best vocals of "American Idol: Hard Luck Story" because she listens to what she is singing. We take comfort in the fact that at least one thing never changes on "Idol" -- Randy's cute, but he doesn't make sense. Taylor is unanimously sent to Hollywood.

In this episode, as in the others this season, "Idol" has been teasing us with a really-big finish Super Sob Story. Tonight it's Rose Flack.

Rose looks like Pippi Longstocking after discovering the peroxide bottle. Rose is 16. Rose's father died when she was 13. Her mother was killed in a car accident when Rose was 15. Rose is an orphan, living with the family of her best friend.

"I just wish they were here to see me excel," Rose tells the "Idol" camera, tearing up. "This is the determination of the rest of my life," she adds, as she heads toward her audition.

"Gang -- let's put on a show for Rose!" Mickey Rooney shouts as he jumps into his jalopy and heads for the canteen. Oh, sorry.

Anyway, our story does have an Andy Hardy happy ending. Rose has a nice, pure, unusual voice. She's also no single mom, but her voice is charming.

"There is something about you I absolutely love," Simon says, which makes twice he's used that word, as if you needed further proof this is an "Idol" world gone mad. Rose gets four 'yesses' and she's on her way to Hollywood.

Tomorrow night, Seacrest says, "New York City and Puerto Rico" -- double the danger...the most dramatic episode yet.

I should hope so.

By Lisa de Moraes  |  January 29, 2009; 6:00 AM ET "American Idol"
Previous: Paula vs Kara in Randy-land | Next: Jets vs Sharks

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

First!

When Rose came into the audition room, Simon said he liked her dress(?!). At that point, I told spouse "She'll get a ticket."

If they're doing NYC and PR both on the same night, there must not be a lot of talent coming from these locations.

Paula wasn't as weird as she was Tuesday. Is Utah a dry state?

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | January 29, 2009 6:47 AM

Paula looked like hell last night. A turtleneck? How were the cute boy contestants going to see her shoes that way? And her hair! Yeccch!

Posted by: AmyH3 | January 29, 2009 8:04 AM

Good. Looking. Out.

Mornin' girls...

Posted by: mstaines | January 29, 2009 9:27 AM

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | January 29, 2009 9:36 AM

David Osmond's appearance reminded me of lil' ol' Caroline Kennedy dropping her handkerchief for the Senate: I'm the progeny of a famous family, so I get to skip to the head of the line and get "discovered" even if I didn't necessarily inherit the genes that made my family famous.

That said, I thought the judges were disingenuous in their criticism of him. First they pretend not to know he's one of The Osmonds, then they rip him for singing like a member of a group (the Other Osmonds?). I thought he had by far the best voice last night, and yet there was something unseemly about his being there in the first place even though the MS angles were compelling as hell. Maybe they should reserve him for a spinoff series called "American Idol: Legacies."

Then they proceed to lavish praise on hard-luck tattooed mom (Carly alerts went off in my head) and hard-luck Rose. I felt as if I were in an alternative universe, since I could take or leave either one of them.

I can't wait for the high school president to sing "Baby Beluga" in Hollywood week.

It didn't take ESP to guess that ESP Girl's quest was stillborn; the only thing she could have predicted accurately was that she'd flip the bird at the cameras, but since the gestures were blocked out, the producers knew that ahead of time.

I look forward to the NYC auditions, when the judges arrive by subway.

Posted by: jd121 | January 29, 2009 9:39 AM

waterfront property said: Not only do we wonder why the contestants' friends and families don't tell them they can't sing... who in the world told the girl pictured above she looked good in that get-up?

I was amused when she said something to the effect that, "People shouldn't judge others by how they look on the outside." I love when someone dyes her hair dayglo red and stuffs her ample, pale body into a black mini and garter belt and says she wishes people would ignore her appearance.

As for the bad singers, it's interesting to me that if you look at audition rounds for the dance shows, while some dancers are better than others, nobody seems to show up who hasn't had a lot of training or hours and hours of practice dancing in public (even in informal settings like nightclub dance floors). Yet with singing, you have people who have no idea what they sound like, and no concept of working at a craft.

I thought they put the class president through as the cute-and-slightly-nerdy guy for the preteens -- seems to be one every year (Kevin what-his-name, the red-headed Sinatra singer, Sanjaya, David Archuleta -- okay he could sing).

Some of these people seem to be getting through on personality more than singing ability; I think a lot of them (e.g. tattooed Mom and Rose, who both seem very sweet but very unready for this) are going to have a rough time in the next round.

Posted by: owingsmills | January 29, 2009 10:06 AM

I am furious the Osmond was let through. He's and OSMOND for god's sakes, he has other avenues into the music biz. He just took a spot from someone who has no other avenue. Wanna bet the "stress" of competition puts him back in his wheelchair at some point?

I really can't believe the rationale of who gets to go to Hollywood and who doesn't. I was in the other room when the guy who brought his lucky rabbit's foot (still attached to the rabbit) started singing. I literally dropped what I was doing and went back into the living room to listen. That guy has a GREAT voice. Yet, he didn't get through. Meanwhile some awfully thin voices, but cute backstory get through.

Posted by: epjd | January 29, 2009 12:40 PM

ep, I agree with the Osmond comment. I didn't mind to terribly much when Jason Castro's brother got a ticket. They were (and arguably still are) nobodies. But the Osmonds have connections despite the fact Donny can't get on DWTS. They know exactly what they're doing. This is probably the only way he will be able to overcome the Donny and Marie sappy sweet legacy as most would otherwise dismiss a record with the Osmond name.

Posted by: hodie | January 29, 2009 2:12 PM

Totally snorted my soda with that Andy Rooney comment.

I wish they'd just move on to the Hollywood tryouts. Those are interesting.

Because the chick who said she could hit the high notes and was compared to Mariah Carey - well, it is beyond amazing she really believed that. She was pitiful.

Posted by: Stormy1 | January 29, 2009 5:28 PM

The tone by which you diminish MS and the perseverance and courage that it takes for someone suffering from the disease to one day be completely fine, then be confined to a wheel chair and lose the use of his hands, and then bounce back and be able to try to pick up his career, is offensive and unprofessional. You can dog the Osmonds all you want, but to bring his MS affliction into this is out of line. MS is a serious disease that cripples millions of people. To call someone "pathetic" that has MS is a disgrace. Lisa de Moraes should be fired for her insensitivity and careless reporting.

Posted by: BT25 | January 29, 2009 6:42 PM

I challenged WaPo.com by stating American Idol is not news and that no one was interested in the 21st century edition of the Ted Mack Original Amateur Hour (the number in New Jersey is Klondike 4-5600). And then you never posted my comment. So much for the free exchange of ideas in the Washington Post.

Posted by: phoss1 | January 30, 2009 9:34 AM

Is Lisa de Moraes trying to be funny, hip, controversial, causitic, irreverent?
She succeeds only in being insensitive and boorish.

Slam an Osmand, the judges, their clothes, their lack of talent but to infer MS is a "ploy" to get David Osmond sympathy and a ticket to Hollywood is disgusting.

The truth is that no matter who his family is, it's his voice that will get him thru...or not.

David is competing despite MS, it's not who he is, but an autoimmune disease.
Not funny Lisa...not even clever. I wouldn't wish this disease on my worse enemy...OR a Washington Post Columnist.

Posted by: deluvlyohio | January 30, 2009 1:28 PM

A sob story??? A pathetic MS sufferer??
I had to read this twice to make sure my "MS eyes" weren't seeing things the wrong way.

Lisa De Moraes, you have no clue what MS is or how it affects every aspect of one's life or you would never include MS in your diatribe.

Sarcasm about a picture of David in his wheelchair?
It is crushing to a person with MS when he realizes that he has to use a wheelchair.

Showing a picture of him in his wheelchair as he talks about having to use it is not a plea for a sympathy vote, it is a show of strength.
He faced that picture of himself and showed it to everyone else and in doing so, faced one of the biggest fears that people with MS have.

If you had not included MS in your story, I would have thought it was funny. Instead, I think you are the pathetic one needing to use something like that to convey your wit.

Posted by: MSisnojoke | January 30, 2009 4:21 PM

Lisa

Here are a few people doing what they love to do...with MS...not hiding it.
Would you like to make fun of them too?

Neil Cavuto, Richard Cohen
Montel Williams, Teri Garr, Clay Walker
Madeline Rhue, the late Richard Pryor,
William Newman, Lena Horne,
Kelly Sutton,
Annette Funicello, Joan Didion,
Jacqueline du Pre, Tamia,
Stephanie Stephens

source: All About Multiple Sclerosis website

Posted by: deluvlyohio | January 30, 2009 5:24 PM

If anyone is pathetic it is you Lisa de Moraes! You may not like the Osmonds but to be so spiteful as to mock a person with a debilitating disease like MS is inexcusable and disgusting.

You have absolutely no idea what having MS does to a person. Unfortunately I do, I live with it along with many others, there is no cure for this disease and it is unrelenting and does take away things from its victims. Some days are worse than others but it isn't uncommon to end up in a wheelchair..and unless you're in one or been you'll never understand.

I can no longer stand or walk and trust me it isn't the way I planned my life to be. I might not be an Osmond but it doesn't mean that MS distinguishes who it attacks.

Your brain and spinal cord are effected and nerve impulses do not communicate to make your body function properly or at will.

You are a nasty, mean and hateful woman to even say what you did about a person with a disease you better hope you never are a victim of because life my dear, holds no guarantees.

Would you be so hateful to someone who has cancer? You need to apologize to ALL the people including Alan & David Osmond who are living with this disease.

Your intentions are screwed up...if you don't like American Idol and some of its contestants because of their perceived connections or odd personalities that's your choice but to make fun of anyone with a disease you obviously don't understand is wrong.

That is like classifying a good columnist with the likes of someone like you.

At least David is trying to rise above his obstacles and yes, he may well end up back in a wheelchair. He may go forward in the contest or not but, the one thing that will never change is the fact that he has a disease called MS and it overrules what his family name might happen to be.

Would you mock other famous people because they are stricken with any disease you don't understand? Karma might just pay you and all those who think living with an incurable disease like MS is no big deal.

He might be an Osmond and might be able to make it on name only but he has more guts than you could ever hope to because he can't count on what tomorrow and MS will bring to him. You and others like you can count on being ignorant for that is a given and something you have choosen to be.

Posted by: msmom | January 30, 2009 5:41 PM

I appreciate satirical writing as much as the next person, and goodness knows American Idol begs to be satirized, but I think the author's comments about MS display a sorry lack of knowledge and basic human decency.

Every now and then, one of the hard-luck stories American Idol likes so much is genuinely inspirational. A young man who's willing to subject himself to the pressures of competition, knowing full well that the stress could put him back in a wheelchair, deserves our understanding and respect.

The sword of good satire needs to be as sharp as the intellect of its wielder. I'm sorry to say the Osmond portion of this article seems to have been written in a distinctly dull moment.

A public apology would be appropriate.

Posted by: crowquill | January 30, 2009 6:24 PM

I cannot believe the insensitivity displayed to individuals with a chronic disease like Multiple Sclerosis. When David Cooks' brother was on American Idol suffering from brain cancer, did you denigrate him too?

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Posted by: starzend64 | January 30, 2009 7:04 PM

I am still in a state of shock that the Washington Post would actually print something as stupid as what this person Lisa De Moraes had to say about David Osmond-just the first paragraph made me mad.

His MS doesn't "define" him, he is actually very talented. Just because a person has a diagnoses of MS doesn't automatically mean that the insensitive replies or comments need to come out. Trust me, we deal with enough every day on different levels.

I agree, a public apology would be appreciated and you should be ashamed of yourself!

Posted by: honeydew1 | January 30, 2009 8:22 PM

I don't watch American Idol though I'm familiar with what the show is about.

However, I don't understand what Lisa De Moraes is about when she says "That's right -- Pathetic Old Osmond Brother Multiple Sclerosis Sufferer. The reality-TV Holy Grail."

As someone who has had my life turned upside down by MS, I know all too well what this disease can do from personal experience and from watching what it has done to my friends who also suffer the disease.

I wonder what Ms. Moraes knows of "Multiple Sclerosis Suffering"? I wonder if she knows what it's like to lose career, the ability to walk and move, cognitive function, to suffer chronic muscle spasms, swallowing problems, chronic UTIs, and/or loss of bladder and bowel function - to name just a few of the medical problems that people with MS experience.

I wonder if she even knows what Multiple Sclerosis is or what it's like to be told you have irreversible brain damage? Has she ever experienced what it is to be told you have an incurable disease that may well take your life through "complications" such as susceptibility to chronic infections, heart disease, and the list goes on.

Extremely bad taste for the editor of the Washington Post to allow this "article" to be posted. It was not satire - it was cruelty, plain and simple.

Imo, De Moraes deserves to be fired.

Posted by: SelkieSan | January 30, 2009 9:19 PM

I have watched "Idol" for only 5 seasons....I enjoy it. I applaud everyone who tries out. It takes guts. It is a type of reality show. It is meant to entertain. Other reality shows turn me off. People eating worms and bugs, single Dads looking for a wife, celeb family shows allowing the public to peek into their daily lives. THOSE are a bunch of PHOOEY to me. I have a "magic remote" that I can change the channel....Go figure?!

I give the Osmonds KUDOS for going on and being public. That guy can sing. I think more research should have been done about MS before anyone should have SLAMMED the disease. Some people here responing have already gone into the medical and physical aspects of MS, so I will let their words do the talking. If the disease would have been one of another neurological disorder such as Parkinsons, ALS, Huntingtons...Would you still be as uninformed or critical? I am truly disappointed that you wrote such a scathing comment with no basis or seemingly no knowledge of what you were saying! Maybe you could use your expertise and your venue to better help inform the generalpublic about MS? There is never enough truth printed about it or the other diseases of the brain. Could you turn your article into a POSITVE?

By the way.....for the soda person...it was MICKEY ROONEY/ANDY HARDY not Andy Rooney.
Sorry.

I am not a singer....I can't sing a lick. I have an entertaining family, but they aren't ready for "reality TV". And like I said, I didn't start watching "Idol" until 5 years ago....when I HAD to sit in a W/C because I was diagnosed with MS....I think THAT makes ME an EXPERT.

Shame on you.

Posted by: marsha2 | January 30, 2009 9:54 PM

"MS-suffering Osmonds. Tatted single moms. Orphaned flower children.Is this a sweeps week of "Tyra"? Sadly, it's just another auditions episode of "American Idol: Hard Luck Story."

So, Lisa are you hearing us "MS Suffering" readers? We are outraged at your little story.

I do hope you are standing in an unemployment line somewhere. At least you can stand.

Posted by: DianafromMSRefugees | January 30, 2009 10:16 PM

I am writing to express my EXTREME disappointment and anger with Lisa de Moraes and the any Wahington Post editor that would publish this story. As a caregiver for my MS suffering wife I cannot believe the insensitivity of this article. I have no problem if you don't like American Idol, but DO NOT make light of this terrible disease to make your point.

Posted by: dlthibo | January 31, 2009 9:57 AM

>>>>>>>>>>It gets worse.

"I was thrown out of the business because I couldn't do the hands!" wails Alan Osmond, another MS victim.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wails?? What?? Alan Osmond is one of the sweetest people, I think you should be thrown out of the business as a columnist Lisa de Moraes beacause you are so heartless and a terrible writer. I just wonder if Montel has read this yet?
Oh, and for future references, it's "MS Survivors, NOT MS victims"

If I didn't wite this very well, I don't admit to being a writer or columnist. My MS is acting up this morning.

Posted by: honeydew1 | January 31, 2009 9:58 AM

WOW! I cannot believe what I am reading!! I am angry at you Lisa for being SO insensitive and flip in your remarks about MS. I have many friends who suffer greatly from this disease and you should be ashamed of yourself for slamming such a great group of people who happened to have MS. You need to do some research on how dibilitating this disease can be, and how at times so much so that your only option is a wheelchair!! I wish you would opoligize to all people with MS for you have greatly offended this ever growing community of great, unique individuals who would give their last dollar to be "normal".I find them more normal and human in all the ways that matter for they are compassionate and sympathetic for they KNOW what it means to suffer.

Posted by: debt62 | January 31, 2009 10:51 AM

I am an MS-suffering, Tatted and pierced married mom (who had her first child at 16 years-old) who takes extreme offense to this piece of crap written by Ms. de Moraes.

When my children were seven and eleven they had to call an ambulance to our home when the second time I took a prescription medication (given to me for my MS) I not only lost consciousness I was not breathing and had no pulse. My children certainly should have been doing some much more fun with their time, such as playing, rather than crying and worrying whether or not their mother would be alive.

Ms. De Moraes is discounting a disease that affects countless people in countless ways around the world simply because she may or may not dislike the Osmond family. I believe she had abused her privilege and perceived power as an outlet to write her nasty comments about a family and has now antagonized the MS community. I believe she is being downright hateful not only toward the Osmond’s, but she had been hateful to the MS community as well by publicly writing her comments which show she has not thoroughly researched what it is she is writing about. I feel, and I am pretty confident others will agrees, she needs to not only publicly apologize to the Osmond’s and MS community in print, but maybe she should contact the closest National Multiple Sclerosis Society Chapter and see how she can give of some of her time and learn how exactly this disease can affect many different people in many different ways.

Posted by: skiwitch | January 31, 2009 4:16 PM

Please fire Ms. de Moraes! It will clean out some of the crap in you paper. She definitely downgrades your publication.

To have to stoop so low as having fun with mocking people with MS, people who have lost both their parents, people who are NOT trying to get by with just their famous name, (I could go on but I won't waste anymore time stirring up her scum) is dispicable.

The Osmonds have been around a long time with their talent and respectable ways, not because they spend their time trying to be cool and writing nonsense newpaper articles. They are good, honest, talented people. They keep moving ahead, the honest way. They don't even let a terrible desease like MS stop them.

Walk one day in an MS patients shoes, MS de Moraes. You'll be begging for mercy. You should be ashamed of yourself!

Posted by: MSjomor | January 31, 2009 8:08 PM

To whom this may concern,

I was alerted to this post where someone used a screen name of mine that I have had for quite a number of years now. The person disguised themselves as me. They posted in an article on your blog titled & regarding (below):

American Idol: Hard Luck Story

Posted by: starzend64 | January 30, 2009 7:04 PM

It is a Multiple Sclerosis post about the Osmonds / America Idol.. I was a moderator for a long time on an MS board. It appears that someone is using my screen name of (Starzend64).. Can you please delete this person from your account, can you please send this person a warning, look into their IP address, & can you please delete their post / comment falsly using my online screen name that I use for personal email & all online transactions.

Thank you for your time to look into this matter.

My name is Jay & I am using & always have been using a New Jersey IP address.

Please look into this matter as soon as possible. Below I will publically list my long time standing email address.

Starzend64@comcast.net

Posted by: TheRealSTARZEND64 | February 2, 2009 9:02 AM

As a professional musician who has MS, this is probably the single most offensive, ill-considered, ignorant, and insensitive article touching on the disease that I have ever seen. Like Mr. Osmond, I spent one full year with my numb hands clawed up and unable to play at all. I went from classically trained from the age of 7 to no player at all. It took two years to rehabilitate back to reasonable skill and another three to get back to my full abilities.

Ms. DeMoraes, I'm sure I speak for a lot of Indie musicians (www.digitalcafetour.com and www.frichild.com for more info on our community) when I say we mostly share your distaste for American Idol. It has nothing to do with music, song writing, or musicianship. It is another version of serving a bloodthirsty audience that enjoys watching mostly untalented, unskilled attention hogs get humiliated on screen. However, the fact that Mr. Osmond is justifiably upset that his nervous system is disintegrating at such a young age is not something to deride. You should be ashamed of yourself. You either wrote this article without thinking about it, or you are completely devoid of empathy. I'm betting on the former, as the latter would make you a sociopath.

The next time you defame an entire community in writing, submit it to your editor for review. It will prevent you getting summarily fired when the ADA Watch files a law suit against The Post for handicap defamation.

As a matter of fact, you should issue a public apology to the entire MS community. If not, then I will consider sending your article to the ADA Watch and suggest that your words demand legal redress.

Sincerely,

Tom Walker

Posted by: twalker1 | February 3, 2009 2:12 PM

Dispictable & sad. Karma & shame go hand in hand. Both will bite you for certain when you stir the MS pot. Now it's stirred for all to see.

~Crow~

Posted by: SneakyGees | February 4, 2009 6:16 AM

This is a terrible read. You should be ashamed of yourself.

*Gee

Posted by: DluvlyMarshaOneForSorrowSan | February 4, 2009 6:27 AM

When I read an article such as this, it makes me wonder why some wish to turn over stones. Some stones were meant to be left alone. All MS eyes suffer when they look upon this article. Well written & thought out? I think not.

All-Involved

Posted by: AllinvolvedMSmomCrowHDewLuvlySelkieMarsha | February 4, 2009 9:53 AM

How absolutely RUDE, uneducated, and insensitive this article is. May the GODS of Karma bite her where the bible don't shine!

-Bear

Posted by: BearWoods | February 4, 2009 11:27 AM

To take a righteous attitude toward anything is to (( DENIGRATE )) it. Awe is what moves us forward.

Hmmmmmmmm.......

Selkie

Posted by: Selkie1 | February 4, 2009 1:01 PM

Denigrate. Popular word being used these days in profiles & fake screen names.

Posted by: BearWoods | February 4, 2009 1:07 PM

Nice quote Selkie. However I see that the quote is used in your profile at the MSrefugees website. And see that the same word, (Denigrate) is used again in a comment in this thread on January 30, 2009, at 7:04 PM, using a screen name in which is not yours. When you decide to throw stones from Hawaii, only a tidal wave can form.

Posted by: GeeGee2 | February 5, 2009 8:19 AM