Lisa's Favorite Sites

Idol's Twangy Grand Ole Opry Week

Guest blogger Tamara Jones fills in this week for Washington Post television columnist Lisa de Moraes.

Please, Jesus, take the wheel. And the remote, too.

Just when we thought the PTSD flashbacks were finally subsiding from Dolly Parton's acoustic acrylic fingernail performance of "9-to-5" last year, it's Grand Ole Opry Week all over again on American Idol.

And when guest mentor Randy Travis reckons right off the bat that the best he can do for these 11 Idolette finalists is "teach 'em to train horses," we know it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Contestant Michael Sarver. (Ray Mickshaw -- Fox)

This season's token twangster, Michael Sarver, may be in his genre, but unfortunately, he's not exactly in key while lumbering through Garth Brooks' "Ain't Going Down." Most likely he is, come Wednesday night's results show. (Um, can we vote that hot harmonica player through, instead, please?)

Freshman judge Kara Dio Guardi, dressed in silvery lame in case her battlestar calls her home mid-show, commends Sarver for remembering "a million" words. Simon Cowell points out that none of them were intelligible, and "you could've been singing in Norwegian."

"If we were all perfect, we wouldn't need this show," Sarver snaps back.

Sixteen-year-old Allison Iraheta belts out "Blame It On Your Heart" to unanimous approval, but judge Paula Abdul is starting to look glassy-eyed, and she stammers something about experimenting and vulnerability. Simon catches a promising whiff of blood in the shark tank and turns on her: "What did you mean by that?" Paula says Allison knows. Allison wisely stays out of it.

Next up is ... David Archuleta? No, wait. It's Kris Allen, who is looking and sounding exactly like Baby Elmo from last season, only after puberty. He does a ballad-y Garth Brooks song, "To Make You Feel My Love." We're about to note that it's nice enough for someone who's sleep-singing, but then the Four Horsemen of the Idocalypse go all ape for him, and we hate that, because now we have to second-guess ourselves.

Paula is saying "vulnerable" again, and judge Randy Jackson grants the supreme honor of calling Kris "my dawg," and Simon calls him "a tender puppy," which is a little creepy. Even host Ryan Seacrest jumps on the praisewagon, telling Kris it was "like the wind was singing out of you," which we're pretty sure he didn't mean the way it sounds.

Lil Rounds looks divalicious in a curvy fuschia dress, but the favored finalist's rendition of "Independence Day" is a screechy departure from her usual R&B comfort zone.

"Look, Lit-tle," Simon starts to lecture.

"Lil," she politely corrects him.

"Little," he says again.

"Lil," she insists.

Faced with such insubordination, Simon resorts to his wedding-singer insult, which falls somewhere between his karaoke singer and cruise-ship singer insults. The guy may be mean - and often right - but creative, he ain't. Creative is when you point out that Simon's haircut looks like a hedgehog who's just reported for basic training.

Now it's time for another anointed favorite, Adam Lambert, to terrorize Randy Travis by announcing plans to perform a sitar version of Johnny Cash's classic "Ring of Fire."

"I'm speechless," says Randy Travis, clearly wishing Adam could be, too.

Adam writhes, he sneers, he tries to make his eyes do a Jim Morrison stare through his false eyelashes, but mostly he yowls like a cat being sucked up through a very long vacuum hose. With the giant backdrop screen of hellish flames, the whole effect is like a campy remake of one of those old "Dragnet" episodes showing the dangers of teenagers tripping out. ("That's why they call it dope.")

"What the hell was that?" Simon wonders aloud. Randy thinks Adam is "current," which is Randy code for anything later than 1979. Paula and Kara seem confused but happy enough.

Scott MacIntyre channels Martina McBride to sing "Wild Angels" in a big, forgettably pleasant Crystal Cathedral way. Paula wants him to stop using the piano as a crutch, which Simon says is a stupid thing to say, which makes Paula wag her finger in Simon's face and tell him to stop being disrespectful. Somewhere in the ensuing argument about Billy Joel using a piano, and Elton John using a piano, Randy joins the fray to say, "What if it's Ray Charles week?" which is about the 47th blind faux pas the visually impaired MacIntyre has had to endure so far this season. Someone get us out of here.

Alexis Grace offers a rote recital of Dolly Parton's "Jolene," which Simon pans as too "sound-alike."

"What's 'sound-alike' mean?" Alexis asks, winning this week's clueless award.

Anoop Desai, who narrowly escaped elimination last week only to have Simon tell him he didn't deserve to be on the show, found redemption in "You Were Always On My Mind."

"You've gone from zero to hero!" Simon tells him.

Danny Gokey delivers a soulful "Jesus, Take the Wheel" while bundled in a white straitjacket that Simon thinks makes him look like a ridiculous polar explorer in 80-degree L.A. weather.

We think Megan Joy Corkrey brings a lot to the show, though that regretfully includes Carly Smithson's tattooed right arm from last season. Tonight, she's also brought the flu, which may be contributing to her engagingly delirious Maria Muldaur-ish take on "Walkin' After Midnight."

Paula notes that Megan Joy has been to the hospital and back, and Simon likes her performance so much that he tells Megan Joy, "You should have the flu every week!" Megan Joy gratefully coughs all over the studio audience. Ryan hands her a tissue and triumphantly announces that Megan Joy has "Influenza Type B."

Guess what, Ryan? Now you do, too! Randy Travis and the band and the hair stylists and the makeup people and the entire production crew are all going to appreciate Megan Joy's stoicism, as well! You go, Typhoid Megan!!

After the commercial break, the camera lingers on Paula either nibbling or sniffing the extended arm of Simon, who seems to be an equal participant in whatever kinky little reindeer game they're playing. Ryan has to tell them to stop it so Matt Giraud can close the show.

Matt powers through "So Small" (twenty-kajillion Grand Ole Opry songs to choose from, yet two out of the 11 belong to former Idol winner Carrie Underwood? Quelle concidence).

Kara yanks the Fox Decency Police back from their donut break with her lascivious declaration that "there's nothing small about you, that's fershure." Paula and Simon agree he's a "heart-piercer."

We're willing to agree to anything, even the flu, as long as Opry Week is over.

By Libby Copeland  |  March 18, 2009; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  "American Idol"
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Can The Judges Save "American Idol?"
Next: A Funereal Elimination Night on Idol

Comments

Spot on rundown, Tamara.

Sanjaya + $400 hairstyle + Google search "How to sing like a rockstar" = Adam Lambert.

Posted by: molsonmich | March 18, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Usually GOO week is painful and this week did not disappoint!

Adam = freak. Really, nothing more can be said.

Allison, Lil & Anoop (surprise here) were really good last night.

When did Tuberculosis Tammy aka Megan change her name from Megan Corkery to Megan Joy? Love how she infected the entire studio audience with those spittle-induced coughs!

Posted by: jpstang | March 18, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

So nice to have you back Tamara! It would be cool for you and Lisa to do the dueling analysis like the Post does for Lost, but I think I'd OD on snark.

I really have no words to describe Adam. But I did enjoy the interaction with Randy Travis. Priceless.

I prefer my country week when there are far less people. 11 is just too much.

So what exactly happened to Megan's last name? Is that her ex's and she's just getting around to dropping it? Good for her battling through the flu. We should start a pool on which one of them is going to have it next week.

I must admit, because it was country, I was only really half listening, so I'm not sure I can pick a person to go. I need the rest of you to pick for me this week. But I get the feeling Alexis doesn't have much left in the tank.

Posted by: MaltyCharacter | March 18, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

What exactly was "current" about Lambert's lame/weird performance? It looked to me like he was trying out for Rocky Horror In Opryland. Can't quite figure out the love for Kris Allen. He was okay, but mostly forgettable.
Overall, it looks like the country dude ironically will be done in by country week. I don't think the early time slot or mostly unintelligible and out-of-breath performance will help, but even more than Kris, he was completely forgettable.

Posted by: otdoc321 | March 18, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone here ever been to a Drag Show? Seriously, because that's what Lambert is starting to remind me of - He's basically taking every song he does and turning it into a drag show number without the women's clothing (for the most part).

I know I'm the only person in the world who thought Little wasn't even that great when she *was* in her comfort zone, but she stepped out of that and sounded like a sick cat locked inside a harpsichord.

Anoop was my favorite last night.

Think Sarver should go, but never thought he should have made it this far anyway, so what do I know?

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 18, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

I think Megan's full name is Megan Joy Corkrey--she's just dropped the last name. Didn't Fantasia do that halfway through the season? A bit presumptuous, no?

Posted by: anny11 | March 18, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

SEVENTH!!

Posted by: igetdeadbeats | March 18, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

All I can say about last night's show is ...

God Bless Megan's Dress!!!

That is all.

Posted by: sknyluv | March 18, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Two of my least favorites were Kris and Matt - yet the judges loved them. Go figure. My bottom two were Scott and Michael. Adam was something - I thought the exact same thing as Kara did, strange but I kind of liked it. Here's to Scott going home tonight - I just don't think he's got it, whatever "it" is.

Posted by: MILW | March 18, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

My wife commented that Danny looked like he was going to Hoth.

Megan is my favorite because she is unique sounding. And she makes funny faces and caws like a bird. That won me over. That tattoo is a real shame, though.

Posted by: Handsome_John_Pruitt | March 18, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

"My wife commented that Danny looked like he was going to Hoth."

HA! You're wife is good. I totally would have expected Danny at any moment slice into a Tantan and use its carcass for warmth.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 18, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I wish someone would acknowledge that To Make You Feel My Love was written by Bob Dylan -- though Garth may have taken a stab at it.

Posted by: kdunham1 | March 18, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Adam, Allison, Meghan and Anoop are memorable for one reason or another and will probably continue on. A couple of the guys - Michael? Matt? Danny? all seem the same and are pretty forgettable. Scott is only there because of his blindness - he really is a very mediocre singer. Alexis tries too hard. I have been watching out of habit mostly, but I don't really think adding a fourth judge has improved things any.

Posted by: barbnc | March 18, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Since I don't watch the show, can anyone tell me where Randy was? Because there's no mention of him in the recap.

Posted by: Carrie1102 | March 18, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or does Allison look like Princess Fiona from "Shrek?" Red hair, broad, freckled face, upturned nose?

Posted by: Raysmom | March 18, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

The problem with Country night is that none of the judges like or even know much about country music!

And why so much love for Adam? He is just way too weird for my tastes. Sorry.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | March 18, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

"And why so much love for Adam? He is just way too weird for my tastes. Sorry."

From the judges? Because he's The Jonas Brothers, the "Twilight" Movie, and Miley Cyrus all rolled into one package. That equals Moronic Tween Girl Gold to them.

From anyone other than the judges and aforementioned tween girls? No idea.

Perhaps there's a novel factor for people who haven't been exposed to that kind of act before, but to anyone who's been involved with Musical theatre, Adam's schtick is Old Hat.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 18, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Adam's singing made me think he wants to be the lead singer of Steel Dragon ala Mark Wahlberg in the movie "Rock Star." He's probably relevant to Ozzy Osbourne -

Posted by: GroovisMaximus61 | March 18, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Three of the judges praised the second half of Gokey's "Jesus Take the Wheel" and panned the first half, which I thought was better than his screaming at me in the second half.

Really don't care for Gokey, but I think he's safe for a while. As is Megan, whose voice and demeanor I usually find annoying, but the flu (and sympathy) worked for her this week.

Simon must know Lil is short for Lillian and not Little. Surely he's not that clueless.

I'd rather see Scott go home this week over Michael, but my friend Kris could be in danger, too.

Posted by: SheldonAlexandria | March 18, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Gawd, country week is just the worst. And this was no exception.

Although Adam is still my favorite, I liken his performance to what Cora did to Drew Barrymore's song in Music & Lyrics. She really destroyed that song and he did the same to Johnny Cash. And yet, I still like him.

Would not be surprised to see the judges use their "save" tonight when Alexis gets the boot. She's dead last in Dial Idol. Question though, if that happens and no one goes home tonight, then 2 go home next week. What does that do to determining the Top 10 for the tour? Hmm....

Posted by: jljardon2 | March 18, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

in the immortal words of the wonderful Dallas Wayne (?) song: "... if you call that country, you can kiss my A$$..."

Posted by: fendertweed | March 18, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

When Adam was power-emoting through his Eastern-sitar, minor-key, Morrissey-wannabe version of "Ring of Fire," all I could see was a vision of the Man In Black spinning at 78 rpm in his grave.

Why do the judges think Adam is "fresh?" He's so dinner theater dorky!

Liked Megan's performance, especially considering that she sang while, apparently, about half dead. Poor girl.

Still no one in the pack who knocks me out.

My major complaint right now with the show is that the judges keep trotting out the same tired canards and we have to listen to it four times over now instead of just three times over.

Best snark today was the Hoth comment, and Simon's hedgehog hairdo.

Posted by: NW_Washington | March 18, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm clearly in the minority here in that I like country music (the real stuff, not necessarily the top-40 pop stuff that gets played today), and I usually look forward to Country Music Week precisely because it takes most of the singers out of their comfort zones. It is instructive to see what they do when they can't fall back on their usual shtick.

That being said, if all were fair and if the voting was really based on last night's performances, Adam should be hitting the bricks tonight. That was excruciating! He looked like a walking advertisement for Hot Topic, and not in a good way (think South Park). Somebody hide that ridiculous black hair dye from him and take away his makeup! He's just not as good as he thinks he is.

Michael will be going home, though, and deservedly so. Country week should have been his Moment To Shine and he picked a very bad song to do that. I like Garth and he has some great, kick-a$$ songs, but he also has enough energy and stage presence to be a poster child for Ritalin. Michael looked winded halfway through his performance.

I think Danny had part of the same problem-- he was concentrating so much on getting all of those words out that he forgot to sing.

Megan looked gorgeous and I loved her weird '40's radio take on a great old song, complete with the patented Washing Machine Dance! Yay! Her stylist gets extra props. And I'm delighted that Anoop redeemed himself.

As for the rest, Matt, Allison and Kris were decent and Alexis, Scott and Lil were forgettable.

Posted by: inkydog | March 18, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Adam's more like a mashup of Robert Smith (Cure)and Axl Rose than Morrisey; Morrisey's much smarter and less obvious.

And Megan's dress might garner a few male votes I'd guess; it worked real well with the washing machine dance, although the camera kept panning away from that aspect ...

Posted by: Shuffles | March 18, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

inkydog -- I am nominating you for judge to replace Randaulcara. I'm not a Country fan, but I like to see these folks try to sing something they are not used to. That is what makes it obvious that oil-rig guy has to go, even though, truth be told, Adam needs to do us all a favor and leave for his true calling -- styling mannequins for Hot Topic.

Posted by: otdoc321 | March 18, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Ya'll are a gas...some of you should be reviewers! Almost wet myself with Tamara's hedgehog comment. My 14-yr-old daughter wondered aloud how someone in a saggy gray T-shirt (she claimed she could discern Simon's nips)can possibly critique the wardrobe or styling of any of the contestants -- and I think that includes Chief Sanjaya! On another note, Megan is indeed beautiful, but am I the only one bothered by her out of sync shoulder twitches and godawful arm-flingings?

Posted by: britwit2 | March 18, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Still love Adam - take away the weirdness and that boy can sing!!! Simon is usually right on but sometimes is clueless. Lil's name is short for Lily - and hasn't he learned yet not to call anyone "stupid"? He just makes himself look bad. LOVED Anoop - what a great surprise! Two of Carrie's songs - fabulous!! And she's on tonight - can't wait!! Allison - you keep on, girl!! What a talent and she's only 17!

Posted by: ryjus | March 18, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

The judges truly have hit an all time low on the boredom scale. I truly think Paula was medicated, Randy just says the same thing over and over and Kara poor Kara.
Loved Anoop hopefully he can keep picking better songs--his last two reminded me of college frat party music. I agree Adam is totally drag show, and I so loved the comment from Raysmom that Allison looks like Princess Fiona (spot on)! Lil and Sarver need to learn not to talk back to Simon especially following such poor performances. Gokey had better glasses but the jacket was hideous. Megan is very sweet but should wear sleeves. Will see who gets the boot tonight. I do not like the kick off round with the double insult: you are at the bottom and bonus you are not going to be saved either--just seems mean.

Posted by: amanda3200 | March 18, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I think most of us are in agreement today.

VT I thought exactly the same thing about Adam, that he would have one heck of a career at a drag club. Come on people, what would be a good drag name for him??
But to be honest, I was with Kara, totally weird but I kinda liked it. Not sure why.

I too could not get why the judges went gaga for Kris Allen other than he is a serious hottie.

I too was suprised by Anoop, loved his performance and he got even more points from me when Ryan asked if he was suprised by the praise and he said as cool as can be, "no, I'm not". Brains wins again!

Allison is still one of my favs, she performed her song very well but Simon didn't get it at all because he really knows nothing about country. He was in rare form last night in regards to be a real a$$, was he not?

Posted by: hodie | March 18, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

should say "in regards to being a real a$$". Should learn to proofread.

Posted by: hodie | March 18, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I love the TV Blog coverage of AI, so I hate to sing a corrective note here--and also something the producers of American Idol neglected. "Make You Feel My Love" was NOT written by Garth Brooks. It's a Bob Dylan song that appeared on 1997's Time Out of Mind record, although versions performed by Mr. Brooks and Billy Joel are more famous than Dylan's.

Posted by: InspectorOh | March 18, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Matt is my new fave! I thought he did a great job! I wasn't wild about Adam's song, but I still think he was good. (Wish he'd tone down the nail polish). Loved Megan and thought she looked beautiful(minus the eyeshadow). Anoop surprised me, and so did Kris -- both in a good way. I thought Lil was OK. My least favorites were Michael and Scott.

Finally, the judges continue to get more and more obnoxious as the weeks progress. It feels like the PauRanKarmon Dysfunctional Show with a few singers thrown in for grins. I absolutely cannot stand Kara any more and for the first time in AI history I fast forward through her comments. Even though Paula pushes the envelope in absurd, I at least listened to her for the "what can she possibly say next" factor. Listening to Kara is like hearing someone scrap their nails down a chalkboard.

Hey bro & sis! What's up??

Posted by: majorjasoncastrofan | March 18, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Did anybody else notice that at times Paula's upper lip would disappear last night? The combination of nude lip gloss and bright lighting was not kind to Paula.

Posted by: StuckatWork | March 18, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Actually, the performance most reminiscent of a drag show was not Adam's but Megan's eye-shadow-encrusted, plunging-cleavage version of "Walking After Midnight." Both that song and "Ring of Fire" are about obsessive love -- at least Adam understood what he was singing about, while she vamped her way through like a heavily tattooed Marilyn Monroe impersonator. Guess I'm in the minority here, but I thought Adam exemplified the judges' constant advice to "make it your own" and "do something original." And who else there could dare to sound like Robert Plant and pull it off? I hope he's back, he definitely brought something interesting to wake up the proceedings!

What I liked about Anoop and Kris last night was that they sang with feeling. So did Matt. Scott: zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Aside from Alison, the women seemed mechanical. Although she needs to back off the false eyelashes, too -- combined with that dayglo red hair, she looked like a Bratt doll.

Posted by: owingsmills | March 18, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

" Guess I'm in the minority here, but I thought Adam exemplified the judges' constant advice to "make it your own" and "do something original.""

Is it "doing somehting original" when he does the same thing every time? All he's doing is taking good songs and turing them into Broadway/Drag numbers.

He's like beatbox boy from a couple seasons ago - it was novel at first, now it's just getting old.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 18, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Alexis in trouble, oh no! Judges are adamant on pushing her to endlessly play the Dirty card; they chide her whenever she tries to escape. If you survive tonight, Alexis girl, Think Pink and make a funny face. And nobody will ever dare to sing "Jolene" on AI again (remember Brooke). It's Doom.

Scott should go but has the B card up his sleeve, and will hide his mediocre voice behind his piano for a few more weeks.

Little is forgettable (and now lippy) and should go soon. But she has her own exemption card, so she won't go for quite a while.

Adam plays the Drag Queen card and is so truly weird that he baffles people into overlooking his unpleasant screechy voice.

Danny Dorky has already played a handful of dead wife cards, and doubtless has more up his sleeve for emergency use. He is truly a total package product: unmitigated awfulness in every respect to go with his barely passable voice. Paula the putz actually said that Carrie Underwood would run to buy his butchered mangling of "Jesus Take the Wheel". More likely she would cover her ears (and eyes) to avoid collapsing in horror.

Megan is different and fun. Wild card.

Alison and Anoop were the best of the night, with Matt a little bit behind.

Oil Rigger should quickly be put out of his misery (and thus ours too). How does he survive?

Posted by: Brookelover | March 18, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Paula and Kara will have a throwdown after Kara took Paula's "I'd listen to you sing the phonebook" line.

Posted by: adbspam | March 18, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

fendertweed: yeah, it's Dallas Wayne: "...you can kiss my Ozark a$$ if that's country"

Posted by: EnjoyEverySandwich | March 18, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

VTDuffman: "Gokey looked like he had just finished Skiing the Bavarian Alps and was on his way to a Kraftwerk concert at a Discotheque in Dussledorf."

LOL! Good simile! I wonder if the youngsters get the Kraftwerk reference, though.

Posted by: EnjoyEverySandwich | March 18, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Anoop = long lost younger brother of Ray Romano.

Posted by: KarenA2 | March 18, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I like a lot of differnt musical styles and Country is one of them and I found last nights show was very interesting but I just have to say that the only Idol that I don't want to go home tonight is Adam and that is only because I DON'T want to hear him sing "Ring of Fire" again!!! Although because of his performance, I really do believe he should be going home. But I think he is one of the five contestants that is on the judges save vote list. That said, I do agree with other posters, I think Michael or Scott will be the ones to go, I don't even remember Scott singing.

Posted by: ShellyF | March 18, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Re Megan's "engagingly delirious Maria Muldaur-ish take on 'Walkin' After Midnight.'" Yes! I SO want to hear her sing "Midnight at the Oasis." I deeply adore her goofiness.

Posted by: chantooz | March 18, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Inkydog's comments. I'd give Matt G. a bit more credit, though.

I can't believe that Alexis made me pine for Nanny Brooke's version of Jolene. I never thought I'd see the day. Alexis overrated and needs to go.

I also can't believe Randy said that Adam was relevant because he reminded him of Nine Inch Nails. WTF? That's like saying you are relevant because you remind me of Kurt Cobain. He's confused because he can't tell the difference between Adam and that Twilight kid, but I guarantee-diddly-ee you that today's tweens do NOT buy Adam as some Robert Patterson-style hottie.

Also, I think Simon was making fun of Ryan by calling her "Little" because Ryan always pronounces her name as if it's short for little rather than short for Lillian or whatever - I love Seacrest but this has been bugging me about him for a while.

Still waiting for someone to wow me.

Posted by: pinkstate | March 18, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"I also can't believe Randy said that Adam was relevant because he reminded him of Nine Inch Nails."
OH YEAH! How in the world is Adam anything like NIN? He doesn't look or sound at all similar. They must have been in bizarro world.

Posted by: adbspam | March 18, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

"But I think he is one of the five contestants that is on the judges save vote list"

There's 5? Who's the 5th? Allison?

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 18, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Would the judge's use their Save for Alexis tonight if she gets voted off tonight? Alas, I doubt it. Especially because they ripped her so unfairly (why?)for the past 2 weeks, while praising far worse performances by Adam, Scott, Megan and Danny Dorky. Besides, they'll want to save their Save for Blessed Ones Adam or Dorky in weeks 6-9 if necessary.

Posted by: Brookelover | March 18, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

"Would the judge's use their Save for Alexis tonight if she gets voted off tonight? Alas, I doubt it."

I think they would.

Are you privy to all that flap they've been talking about this morning how some Idol Staffer Producer is going around telling everyone that the whole thing is "fixed" and that the Final 4 are already pre-determined to be Little, Adam, Danny, and Alexis?

I have a feeling that it's not necessarily a "pre-determined final 4" as much as it is "pre-determined that we will use the 'judges save' on these 4"

IOW, if Alexis got booted (I doubt it), she would get saved. If Allison got booted, shw wouldn't.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 18, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I thought with it being St Patty's Day Van Morrison would have been a good theme.

Posted by: Handsome_John_Pruitt | March 18, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

When Adam started singing I was thinking "what the..." and by the time he was finished I was smiling and thinking "wow, that was awesome!" It was way different but I liked it. Don't care about his hair or his fingernails...dude can sing.

Allison impressed me too with crazy-strong vocals and stage presence. She was great. Megan was very good too, not so much with her vocal talent, but as Dr. Evil would say she "has that certain I-don't-know-what." Her voice also has a unique quality we will hear more of if she survives. She is my pick for the "most likely to be saved by the judges."

It must be practically unanimous that oil-guy and blind-guy's time is just about up. Both very nice and pretty good singers but can't see either going far in this venue. Still, if Bucky Covington can make a living singing, there is hope for anyone.

DannyMatt is good but I can take only so much white soul. They won't be going away soon.

Lip, I mean Lil can be very good too, but she needs to worry more about singing and less about image.

There must have been some others, but I can't remember them. That says it all.

And please, can the contestants stop talking back to the judges' critiques? This is not debate team, it is constructive (in most cases) criticism. Shut up and listen. That goes for the audience too...and the other judges as well.

Speaking of the judges...Paula is making less sense than ever and is almost painful to listen to. If the plan is to ease Kara in and Paula out next season let's just do it now and get it over with.

Posted by: ZiggyZ | March 18, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Shoes!!! Nobody said anything about the shoes! Last year at that time when I first discovered this blog I had no clue why people were talking about shoes. But I learned! :-)

Last night I finally found out who Anoop reminds me of. There is a German singer called Xavier Naidoo. Last night Anoop sounded totally like him.

Posted by: anjacarolin | March 18, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

"And why does Gokey look like he is going to a concert in Düsseldorf? Do not get the comparison here."

I just thought he looked really "Euro," Dusseldorf was just the first German City that came to mind.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 18, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Looking at a map, Stuttgart would have been a better choice.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 18, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Ziggy says: if Bucky Covington can make a living singing, there is hope for anyone.

Posted by: hodie | March 18, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

"And don't forget Kelli Pickler who has made a nice living off her shoes too (there you go, anjacarolin!)."

Wasn't Pickler where the whole "Shoes" meme started?

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 18, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Yes it was Pickler who started the whole "shoes" theme. I had just started watching in Season 6 when she was a guest star and there she was in all her plastic surgery glory with an intravenous dress sporting her decolletage. It looked like she could no longer exhale and Seabiscuit asked her what she had done with the money that she had earned from her album/tour/fame, etc. She replied that she had bought some new shoes and a great euphemism was born.

Posted by: DadWannaBe | March 18, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Meghan's shoes are so mysterious. Some nights it's like a ray of light from heaven is shining down on her shoes and then other nights they are completely incognito. It's like Superman and Clark Kent.

Posted by: pinkstate | March 19, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

If Adam wanted to be current (or "Led Zeppelin" as I think Paula exclaimed) - then he'd listen to the recent Robert Plant/Allison Krauss collaboration. Even though Plant admitted back-in-the-day he'd have called it a "sellout" himself - it's "current" crossover country.

Adam looks leftover from the 80s - and I thought his (likely highly UNoriginal cover of) Ring of Fire would make a good jingle song for a "new" product I'd call After Curry Wipes:

Eaten too much spicy Eastern Food?
twang twang twang
Curry . . . is a burning thing
And it makes a fiery ring
Bound by wild desire
I fell into a ring of fire

Adam smirks into the camera as he whips out his After Curry Wipe . . .
and it burns burns burns, the ring of fire
the ring of fire.

Viewers use their own imagination as to which portion of Adam's smirking anatomy he's using the After Curry Wipes on.

Posted by: jqw3827 | March 20, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Adam is original - and not in an American Idol way. He is, like most things that are truly original, that's polarizing. Whether people love him or hate him, they can't ignore him. His performance videos are most viewed youtube clip from this show. He is even gaining attention from people outside the United States. I can say that he is the only person on the show at this point who probably doesn't need the show to make a name for himself in music.

Posted by: genie222001 | March 23, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse