Pretend Judging on 'American Idol'

Thursday is Wild Card night on "American Idol." Tonight the judges will listen to performances by eight ousted Idolettes who have been brought back to compete for three Wild Card spots in the final round of competition. Tonight we will pretend we don't already know that two of the three Wild Card spots are going to go to chicks, because the list of nine Idolettes already chosen by viewers for the final 12 is very guy-heavy. The judges will pretend to critique tonight's performances, faux make up their minds, and then announce their foregone conclusions.

Does anybody really think they're seriously considering Tatiana Del Toro? Do we think Ricky Braddy will finally get a break? I rest my case.

First up. Jesse "Hasn't Got a Prayer" Landseth. She growls and purrs her way through "Tell Me Something Good" and is at least entertaining and looks great. Judge Randy Jackson pronounces it "just a'ight." Judge Kara DioGuardi compliments Jesse on her swagger. Judge Paula Abdul says it's going to be a hard night. And judge Simon Cowell declares Jesse's performance "self indulgent" because she thought more about herself than him. Paula and Kara try to explain to Simon that Jesse's performance was very sexy which, in theory, means she's trying to appeal to him, but Simon will have none of it and is inconsolable.

Matt Giraud is now dressed like Coldplay lead Chris Martin at a coffee house in the Village. But at least he's not singing Coldplay any more, and for that we are grateful. He's singing "Who's Loving You" and he's much improved if somewhat over the top. Kara says he can riff. Paula calls it a much better song choice than the Coldplay number. Simon keeps interrupting Paula, which means he hasn't been the center of attention for at least four minutes. Simon doesn't care about Matt's singing and wants instead to talk about Matt's outfit which he finds dreadful. Simon also slams Matt for having bits of Taylor Hicks in his performance. Simon hated Hicks on "Idol."

"You mean Justin Timberlake," Kara interrupts, leaving millions of viewers at home wondering what she's smoking and how they get some. Randy says Matt just made the nine Chosen Ones scared that he's maybe going to be in the final 12 and give them a run for their money. Matt's in.

Megan Joy Corkrey sings "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" which, mercifully, bears no resemblance to the Katharine McPhee rendition of this tune. For starters, Megan's version involves her trademark Regular Wash Cycle dance. I'd like to see McPhee try to pull that off. Paula declares it "the right song." Simon assures Megan "it wasn't the best vocal we're ever going to hear but it doesn't matter -- you were terrific" because, of course, she's "current." And, he forgets to add, the all-important "female." Kara notes they "need" Megan because "you give some variety to what's already up there" indicating the nine Chosen Ones. Count Megan in.

Poor Von Smith, who hasn't the remotest chance of surviving the night, sings a pretty good version of "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word"-- if you like that sort of tune -- but, of course the judges will savage him by way of explaining why he's not going be picked.

Simon goes with "boring" and Randy notes Von once wore a hat and had a "whole different vibe," and Kara called it "dark," and Paula says she's been "studying" Von and he has not let his "pure essence" out yet. The American Idol Decency Police are given orders to put their tasers on "stun."

Jasmine Murray, who's a shoo-in because she's a teenager and pretty -- and the all important not-a-guy -- performs that dreadful tune "Reflections" quite badly. Reaching for positive things to say, RanKara settles on "I'm confused but it was way better than last time" -- a ringing endorsement. Paula says she looks lovely and picked a beautiful song. Simon says that with "the greatest respect" to Paula he thinks Jasmine deserves "more criticism than what you're wearing," assuming viewers at home have forgotten he'd just done exactly the same to Matt.

Simon calls "Reflections" a "very brave song choice" which renders everything else he says about Jasmine null and void.

Ricky Braddy is DOA because, at some point way back, some producer decided to give him virtually no on-camera time, during the flyover audtions or in Hollywood Week. Sure Kara says he sang his "butt off" and Paula says he "nailed it." But Simon knows he has to say Ricky did not make an impression on them and was disappointing. And Randy will use the new expression he's learned tonight, telling Ricky it was "self indulgent."

Tatiana Del Toro is brought back to be tortured one more time. But first, she must set a new world record for most uses of the word "love" in one breath:

"I am in love with everyone and everything that has happened; I have found love and, god, I love what I do and I love to sing so much and I just want to show the world how much I want to sing and how much this means to me and to get a second chance -- nobody gets a second chance -- is once in a lifetime," she says, adding "I'm ready to sing for you, America. Thank you so much."

Tatiana sings "Saving All My Love For You," and she does have a tremendous voice, and were she a teenager and not such a weirdsmobile they'd put her through in a shot. But she's not, and she is, so they won't. Instead, Paula notes "you grew an accent I've never heard before" during her Love Speech. Tatiana's manner of speaking (she's from Puerto Rico like Jorge) seems to wax and wane based on the degree to which she thinks Jorge is getting through to the final-12 owing to his accent.

Simon slams Tatiana for picking a song she's sung for them before giving her a "you're dead to me" look as he asks how many more times she planned to sing it if she's put through. Which is of course hypothetical, since they have no intention of doing so. Randy and Kara fall into step, critiquing everything except her voice. This is followed by a sex joke at Tatiana's expense performed by Seacrest and the judges who ought to pick on someone their own size.

And, finally, Anoop Desai delivers a fun college fraternity interpretation of Bobby Brown's "My Prerogative."

Simon calls him an "enthusiastic dog" and admits "we've got to cast this next stage" so as to "not just put the boring singers through," but people who have "personality" of which Anoop has "a lot." He congratulates Anoop on his performance.

Immediately after which Randy lets slip that Anoop also had sung this song previously. But, Randy offers lamely, Anoop did it better this time. Kara goes even further, saying this is the very best "My Prerogative" Anoop has ever done. Paula liked his "nasty" dance moves and congratulates him on going back to the same song again.

One commercial break later, it's time to announce their decision. That was fast!

Jasmine gets a 'yes,' Ricky gets a 'no.' Megan moves to the finals and Tatiana, rejected, kneels down in front of the judges' table while Paula assures her she has an incredible future as a singer and an actress.

With two chicks through to the next round, they can do away with Jesse. Von's out too, leaving Matt and Anoop.

Simon tells Matt he's getting the third spot and Anoop starts to leave the stage when Simon calls out to him and says they have decided to have the finals start with a Top-13 this year.

"An 'American Idol' first!" Seacrest says, on cue.

By Lisa de Moraes  |  March 6, 2009; 5:15 AM ET "American Idol"
Previous: Back Stories Triumph on "American Idol" | Next: 13 Unlucky for "American Idol"

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I could only stomach part of it last night so this morning I looked for Lisa's column to give me the rundown. As always, I was not disappointed!

Posted by: barbnc | March 6, 2009 6:08 AM

The burning question: what happened to Tatiana AFTER the show?

Posted by: DontWannaMyPostID | March 6, 2009 7:44 AM

It was pretty obvious that the judges had their minds made up already. A commercial break is not enough time to make that decision.

The Washing Machine dance was extra great last night. I laughed out loud! When does the spin cycle start?! Unfortunately, the she murdered the song for me. I love KT Tunstall and that was not good. I disagree with Lisa, Kat did a better job than Megan, though that's not saying much.

It's amazing to me how different Tatiana is when she is singing. She looked good last night and can sing. Proof positive that a bad personality (or multiple bad personalities in her case) can really ruin someone.

Lisa glazed over the best part of last night though. Seacrest telling Tatiana she didn't have to get up was "The Office" blend of hilarity and awkwardness. He knew he screwed up royally and even cool as he can be, you could see he was trying hard to recover.

Kara. Oh, I was such a fan. And it seems the lot here doesn't like her. Anoop Dawg showed me the light. She went to Duke? Blech.

Posted by: MaltyCharacter | March 6, 2009 7:56 AM

Hurray! Tat the Twit is gone! Now maybe we can start watching again (if we can stomach Randy and Kara.)

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | March 6, 2009 8:14 AM

God Bless you Lisa de Moraes, for the work that you do!

Posted by: CentreOfNowhere1 | March 6, 2009 8:16 AM

Uh, Lisa, not that I particularly like defending Kara, but YOU'RE the one smoking something. When I first saw Matt Giraud, I said he looks like Justin Timberlake with a scarf on. Then, Kara seconded my thought. Really, I don't know where you're getting Chris Martin in a coffeehouse.

Posted by: rlalumiere | March 6, 2009 8:35 AM

Pookie, we saw a snippet of Noop Dawg singing My Prerogative during Hollywood Week.

Posted by: Adam-B | March 6, 2009 8:43 AM

Megan was a done deal because AI, Simon in particular, cannot fathom a season without a blonde with good teeth. Singing ability is not a requirement! Thus Carrie Underwood was anointed before she opened her mouth, we suffered through weeks of indulging the barefoot Nanny last year, and the judges are fawning over Megan's perfectly ordinary singing of songs with no range while performing a dance with no rhythym. Fortunately, no one will vote for her and it will be over, but what about the poor brunettes who actually belong in the top 12: Arianna, Mishavonna, Felicia, or Taylor? They were savaged while Megan was simply patted on the head and moved forward.

Posted by: fmjk | March 6, 2009 8:51 AM

Oh, I forgot. Megan was pronounced "relevant."

Relevant to what?

Was it the tatoo? They didn't think last year's tatooed arms were relevant, but then again, she wasn't blond.

Posted by: fmjk | March 6, 2009 8:53 AM

When Paula was trying to console nutjob Tatiana she said "we had a lot of fun with you", what she meant to say was "we had a lot of fun at your expense".

I am looking forward to seeing the Late Late show with Norman Gentle in the near future.

Posted by: mstaines | March 6, 2009 8:59 AM

In spite of the fake drama of the judges decision, best idol hour ever. Eight singers, little backstory, no boring guests or vapid group songs, faster (but even less intelligible) comments. In spite of my opinion that many women were better than Jasmine, a fun show.

Tatiana deserved a joke at her expense - shouldn't have been swooning on the floor in the first place. Smile, say thank you, and leave like graceful Jesse.

Posted by: kirstenpaulson | March 6, 2009 9:05 AM

They expanded the field to 13 this year, since May Sweeps will end in 12 weeks (May 27th). It takes 12 nights of competion to reduce the field to 1. So, it was in the works from the get-go with this year's new format.

Posted by: gmby1 | March 6, 2009 9:07 AM

The problem is that none of the girls you mentioned were anything other than "perfectly ordinary" either.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. I'd argue that there are only maybe three people with a legit shot at winning this thing (barring a major breakout by someone else) - Alexis, Adam Lambert (ugh), and apparently Lil.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 6, 2009 9:18 AM

Megan got in solely because she's a dead ringer for Reese Witherspoon who suddenly realized she has hips. She moves like a Barbie doll from the mid-1960s.

My prerogative wouldn't have been to put Anoop through. He's got a winning smile and he's sincere, but his personality can get me to do no more than shrug. His callout to his friends in Chapel Hill for whatever they were experiencing didn't hurt his case.

On reflection, I wasn't too keen on Jasmine's performance. Matt was much better, no matter who he dressed like. Why does this have to be evenly split between boys and girls? Are we in elementary school or something?

My guess is that the producers feared for Tatiana's well-being and a resulting lawsuit. She was the best overall singer last night, though Simon was on the money about how many times she could channel Whitney.
I, too, appreciated the relative ease with which this show went without the stupid backstories.

Posted by: jd121 | March 6, 2009 9:30 AM

I was not surprised by Jasmine or Matt making the cut. They were pre-destined for their rolls as "petty young girl" and "pretty young boy".

Megan was not last night, nor has she ever been, very good. She has a unique voice but she can not sing well. I predict a 2nd round exit for her - after oil rigger guy who has no business being on that stage!

And I was soooo happy they let Anoop in! I do not think he is the best singer by a long shot but in a crowd of very serious, very dramatic guys, Anoop has a shot if he sticks with fun and quirky performances (think Bon Jovi, Boys 2 Men, Will Smith). I am betting America is going to get very tired of seeing Adam, Danny, and Jorge try to out-diva each other while they belt out ballads to prove their range. There are 3 very good girl singers (Alexis, Allison, and Lil) who are quite capable of tackling the power ballads; we do not need the boys jumping into that arena.

Go Anoop!

Posted by: AmuseMe | March 6, 2009 9:49 AM

VTDuffman wrote: "That said, I had a thought last night: Is it possible that there's seemingly more talent in the guys this year because more guys got through based on actual talent rather than looks? Just a theory I've been working on, in a word: they are diluting the female talent pool by relying to heavily on looks (code word: "commercial")."

Interesting theory and made more plausible by that moment they showed (I was surprised they showed it) during "Chair Night" when they put Kristin and some tall, model-type blonde through one of those sing-offs, and Simon was peevish about the others putting Kristin through. Also, notice how in past years they put through some chunky people (who sometimes eventually came in first or second) and this year even somewhat overweight people are nowhere to be seen?

It is depressing to think that 35 years after the feminist revolution the double standard lives, but you might be right. They may have noticed that gorgeous Carrie Underwood is their most successful Idol ever so they're stacking the deck to make sure their winner is more in that mold.

Posted by: owingsmills | March 6, 2009 10:13 AM

I wonder when the producers will realize the reason ratings are slipping is not because they don't have enough pretty young things on the show, but because people have begun to realize 1) the contest does NOT produce a new singing star (Kelly and Carrie notwithstanding); 2) after the one mostly singing show of the week, the results show and other shows are filled with boring, hokey group sings and commercials; and 3) the pretense, such as last night, that there is real uncertainty and drama over the judges' decisions and comments. Paula's flub last season when she inadvertently read her notes from the rehearsal rather than the live show and Jasmine's inclusion despite a mediocre Wild Card performance clearly show anyone with half a brain that the judges have largely decided before the performances which ones they will push and which they will punish. Any wonder the ratings are slipping?

Posted by: otdoc321 | March 6, 2009 10:22 AM

There's a couple comments in here that are sort of dogging Carrie Underwood. Yes, she's gorgeous. Yes, she got her start on AI, which generally isn't an indicator of talent. But, frankly, Carrie Underwood can flat-out sing. I know she's a genre singer. But she knows her genre, and she works incredibly well in the country format. Honestly, I think that Carrie and Kelly are just about the only Idols that's won that actually had any shot at commercial success. The rest have been novelty acts or touching backstories, without the chops to really succeed in the music industry.

Posted by: OrganicGal1 | March 6, 2009 10:31 AM

I agree with Lisa that Simon is the only judge we need to listen too. And I love snark as much as the next pookie. But the way they handled Anoop was just mean.

I'm also not on the Scott bandwagon. I thought Van was a lot better on Tuesday, but then Van tanked last night and Scott was better on Wednesday. Maybe he just needs his piano.

Gotta be a little wary of having an extra contestant. After Internet pics and blogs apparently outed Adam, I fear for a repeat of last year. Though Adam is better than David Hernandez so maybe he'll do OK.

Posted by: ArlingtonGay | March 6, 2009 10:38 AM

Organic Girl, good points on Carrie and Kelly. Winning doesn't prove anything, though I hate to admit it but Jordan Sparks doesn't annoy me. And I was surprised to really like David Cook's premier album. But my favorite alumni are Daughtry and Hudson.

Posted by: ArlingtonGay | March 6, 2009 10:44 AM

I got the impression that Jasmine going through wasn't Simon's idea. Did you notice how he rolled his eyes when they announced her? Also, he let Jesse know that he thought she should have gone through... instead of Jasmine, I'm sure. And she should have.

All I could think when I watched Paula comforting Tatiana is that Paula is trying to make sure they don't have another suicide on their hands-- especially not in her driveway. While Tatiana is an annoying drama queen, there is a frighteningly unbalanced note about her that, were I giving legal advice to the AI staff, would make me want them to steer well clear of her.

Posted by: inkydog | March 6, 2009 11:26 AM

ArlingtonGay: Adam being outed has to be the least surprising outing since Liberace! But it could make a difference, I grant you.

Posted by: inkydog | March 6, 2009 11:27 AM

American Idol is the perfect candidate for all that is wrong with commercial television: phoney, trivial, insipid, useless, a mindless distraction for all that is real in the world.

Posted by: proteusdecision | March 6, 2009 11:36 AM

inkydog, there were a number of guys my partner and I got gaydar pings from. But I rarely remember names until after the Top 10. Who was the guy with the head bands and tatoos?

I saw David H. in NYC last December, with 3 other Idolettes, singing Christmas carols on a morning talk show. He was good. He should not have been the first one out last year.

Posted by: ArlingtonGay | March 6, 2009 12:05 PM

I thought Jimmy Newtron was the best singer last night. His version of Sorry by Elton was amazing. Oh well. Tellin you right now, the Spanish Dude is gonna win it all. He'll be this year's Ricky Martin or Julio Iglasias. And a pure money maker. They'll cut 2 records for every 1 (1 in English and 1 in Spanish) and completely clean up. That guy is gonna be a gold mine.

Posted by: dovelevine | March 6, 2009 12:36 PM

Thank goodness Anoop made it! I mean, he was a shoo-in from the start, but those rotten judges... If they can stir up a bit more drama, they'll do it... :P

Tatiana... is such a tough case. When she sings, she's amazing. Then, she stops singing, and everything goes to hell. @_@ I DO think they were giving Tatiana a sincere chance b/c of that voice, and b/c, if she played it right, she could have been the thorn in the majority of viewers' sides for much of the season, which makes for great TV. But from the way she carried on last night, I think the judges saw (and I agree now too) that she's just too insane for the show. Well, farewell, Tatiana, and here's hoping you find some place where you can sing your heart out and not scare the crap out of your audience. @_@

Gotta say, Megan "Wash Cycle" Corckrey is... just plain WEIRD. @_@ And not in a cool, punky Gina-from-season-six way, just... WEIRD. Her way of singing is weird, her song choice was weird (well, it masked her subpar voice pretty well, so maybe that was a good thing), her constant booty shaking is FREAKING weird--downright disturbing to watch, actually. It's almost like a nervous twitch or something--she even kept doing it during the critique! I smell a future VFTW candidate... 0__0

Really, out of the lot, the only person I'm glad to see get through is Anoop. But since everyone else I liked is already in the Top 13, the three bits of cannon fodder we gained tonight are okay, I guess.

Posted by: Kureno | March 6, 2009 12:40 PM

Hey, "indulging like the Barefoot Nanny" is fighting words. The more discerning of us love and crave BaNanny Brooke, and were only disappointed during her exquisite performance last week (high point of Season 8 so far) because she was not wearing Sunshine Yellow.

Last night was entertainingly predictable fast-paced Fun, especially at the end. The true travesties were committed Wednesday in the Wild Card selection. Jasmine is a dismal boring diversity niche Teeny selection who'll be gone soon. Instead of her and Matt, they should have picked Ju'not (fine singer) and poor unloved Kristen. Otherwise the selections are fine, except for Oil-rig Guy. Glad Noop Dog is in, but hope Noop Dog can sing better than he did last night.

Much much better than the horrid, dismal Final 12 (Blandon, virtual stripper Haley, Nasal Chris, coroner Phil, Little Teapot Melinda, one-trick Blake, Sanjaya!!, et al.) from Season 6, from which the show is still trying semi-successsfully to recover.

Posted by: Brookelover | March 6, 2009 12:54 PM

Lisa, a friend who lives in DC told me about U a few years ago and I followed your AI writing from AZ to my move to OR. Great job!

Why did the judges have to torture Tatiana? We all knew she was there as a whipping post. I think she is a very good singer with a mental handicap. Shameful. The only thing worse would be to call all the contestants to the stage while leaving a blind guy to wonder around in the background...oh wait they did that too.

Posted by: rubendc | March 6, 2009 1:04 PM

1. I am sick of Ryan pronouncing Lil's name as if it's short for "little." It's not a rap psuedonym, it's her REAL NAME. Probably short for "Lily" or "Lillian."

2. I love that Jasmine doesn't mind the fact that she's getting by solely on her looks, in contrast with "shiny button girl."

1. Thanks to dovelevine for the Jimmy Neutron reference, I was wrackinig my brain to figure out what cartoon character he looks like! That's it!

2. With regard the commercial success of Idol finalists: if they had THAT much commercial appeal, they wouldn't have to rely on American Idol to get noticed. Carrie Underwood is the exception, but I bet she would have gotten a record deal without Idol.

3. Tatiana was starting to grow on me. She does have an amazing voice but her performance Thursday was not her best.

Posted by: pinkstate | March 6, 2009 2:08 PM

Oops. I'm not so good with numbers.

Posted by: pinkstate | March 6, 2009 2:09 PM

Thank you Lisa for acknowledging that the judging tonight was ugly and cruel. Simon in particular really lost some respect in my eyes in some of his baseless comments (that "you're dead to me" look he gave Tatiana after singing the same song is a perfect example).

The show last night was a farce and while I generally really enjoy the banter and play between the judges during their critiques last night when they were grilling certain contestants (Von, Jesse, Ricky, Tatiana) their glee in coming up with reasons to explain why the performances were bad made this a tough show to sit through.

And while I generally think Ryan is a likable tool last night after some of those predetermined floggings he seemed smug and awful.

Awful would be the perfect word to describe how I felt about last night. A low point in a show that I usually really enjoy.

Posted by: repricer | March 6, 2009 2:23 PM

My humble opinion is that Tatiana is one of the coolest put-ons ever to appear on American Idol. What great entertainment!
Now, if I'm wrong, and she's really like that.... well, what we have here is a new level of TV cynicism and cruelty...

Posted by: olsonv001 | March 6, 2009 2:35 PM

Any pro-Tatiana references make me cringe. If she had been allowed to go through, her act or whatever would have gotten old really fast and would have made the show non-watchable. I am glad she didn't make it. Still ticked that Ju'not didn't make it through to the final 12. He got robbed by the judges and producers far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: MILW | March 6, 2009 3:03 PM

I was sorry Tatiana was let go. It would have been very interesting to watch her considerable talent developed not to mention all the entertainment her "vivid" personality brings to the table.

I think they decided not to let her through because she lied to them about being able to secure the rights to another song.

This soulless crew does not have a problem with the general principle of lying, as long as it is done at their instruction and in service (as they see it) of the show.

But Tatiana gave them a glimpse into the future and just how much she could be counted on to toe the line of any "confidentiality agreement" and that's why they decided,IMO, to cut her loose.

They have no problem with crazee as long as they think they can control it, but I think they figured that Tatiana might prove to be a loose cannon when it came to the media and they were not willing to take the risk. JMO

Posted by: trwv | March 6, 2009 3:40 PM

But, frankly, Carrie Underwood can flat-out sing.

I'm probably going to get murdered for this, but I disagree with you wholeheartedly. She sings "fine." I think that her handlers do a great job of having her sing songs that she can do, but her job is to be really, really hot and sing "fine."

If you have any doubts about this, go to any bar on Karaoke night. There will no doubt be several ugly girls singing several Carrie Underwood songs. They will sing them just as "fine" as she does, because they're not that challenging.

FWIW, I agree with you that she does her job of "being really, really hot and singing fine" exceptionally well.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 6, 2009 3:41 PM

I thought all four of last night's rejects were better than at least two of the people voted in by America.

Posted by: pinheadpipsqueak | March 6, 2009 7:05 PM

adam is the best of idol year 8. it would be a great wrong-but not so surprising- to have homophobia ruin his chances of winning.

so he's gay...... and who didn't know that from the get-go? and SO WHAT???? the idol judges knew it, too. and what has his orientation to do with ANYTHING?? great performances are great performances. he is an amazing singer and performer. he deserves as much of a chance as anyone else.

and no, i am not gay, i am a 60 year old baby boomer, and i know real talent when i hear it and see it. i wish everyone on the show the best.

Posted by: tattoosuec | March 6, 2009 7:47 PM

Gosh - I'm getting to this late in the day. For me, the judges are getting almost unbearable and for the first time in 7 seasons, I went to bed thinking I'm not sure I can watch AI much more.

I do not see the appeal in Anoop at all. His one big note was the only good one worth listening to. In my opinion, he is a kind of awkward, geeky guy trying to be cool. He seems like a nice guy, but he doesn't really have a great voice.

I am glad Matt made it through and I think it has huge potential.

I totally agree with the comments about Megan. She is not that good, but with the right training, she may have potential. She is truly awkward to watch and the tattoos are distracting. It was riduculous how Simon raved about her in his critique and I think they need to get the decency police out to watch him as it related to her.

I am hoping that the rest of the season gets better-but it seems like AI (especially the judges) is getting a little too big for its britches. Like they are thinking they "are all that and a bag of chips".

I miss the "way they were" in their humble beginnings when they didn't know they were a hit show and were producing some real worthwhile entertainment.

Posted by: majorjasoncastrofan | March 6, 2009 11:12 PM

So am I the only one who thinks Anoop Dog looks like Zach Braff with slightly darker skin? I think it adds to the perceived goofiness.

I worry about Tatiana. I don't thnk her behavior was an act (I do think she was heavily medicated -- or finally taking her prescription -- the two nights for her group of 12).

By the way, I discovered this column halfway through last season (I'm on the left coast), and it made AI much more fun. Thanks for a great column, Lisa!

Posted by: jamiecw | March 6, 2009 11:55 PM

I hope no one is implying that the only reason not to like Adam is homophobia. Adam admittedly has a great voice but is an unoriginal cheeseball who overdoes it on every performance. Even when he tries to rein it in, he is over-the-top. He does not appear to have any genuine emotions, he's always just "LOOK AT ME, I'M ON STAGE!" Moreover, his look is outdated and he doesn't wear it well.

I do think he'd be the perfect person to play David Cook in the Broadway musical version of "American Idol: The Musical!" But that's about all he is good for in the entertainment industry.

Posted by: pinkstate | March 10, 2009 9:45 AM