"American Idol" Digs Deep and Comes Up...Eh

Just when you thought it couldn't be done, "American Idol" producers find a way to squeeze one more drop of product placement out of their show when host Ryan Seacrest announces the theme for this week's performance episode: "Popular Downloads on iTunes."

'Idol' contestant Anoop Desai. (Fox)

By "popular" they mean "anything."

Anoop Desai is, for the first time in ages, not dressed as if he's heading to intramurals practice. He's dressed like Michael Jackson. And while singing the Usher tune "Caught Up," he reprises the "rebel" look made famous during his earlier performance of "My Prerogative" -- the lip curling, the jaw clenching,the stage strutting, the lapel caressing -- you remember the drill.

"I'm getting the feeling like a bunch of frat boys dared you to get up and sing Usher," judge Kara DioGuardi says, summing it up perfectly.

Megan Joy Corkrey "absolutely loves" her Bob-Marley-as-performed-by-Lauryn-Hill tune, "Turn Your Lights Down Low." The tons of chains and ropes and faux pearls around her neck weigh her down sufficiently to prevent her from breaking into her Regular Wash Cycle Dance.

Judge Paula Abdul suggests Megan really needs to "dig deep into an area she might not be comfortable with but which is where beauty develops," which appears to involve "sitting on a stool with just a center spotlight with no distractions or movement, singing a sensitive, vulnerable ballad that tugs at everyone's heartstrings." This week, more than ever, Paula sounds like she's delivering a well-rehearsed Academy Awards acceptance speech every time she opens her mouth.

Danny Gokey says he wants to tone it down and sing his heart out to Rascal Flatts's "What Hurts the Most," which judge Simon Cowell says afterwards is, compared to the previous two Idolettes, like two snails competing with a racehorse.

Allison Iraheta is enormously talented but utterly redundant every week, although this week she's saved by her Cyndi-Lauper-cum-Pippi-Longstocking look -- including some hood ornament that's been glue-gunned to her head, which so fascinates the judges they can't talk about anything else.

Simon says it reminds him of "a precocious daughter trying to dress like a rock star." Smart girl.

Scott MacIntyre's been made over, and is now sporting Seacrest's hair from three season's back and a black leather jacket, and singing Billy Joel's "Just The Way You Are."

Everyone sings his praises, especially Paula, who says that out of all the contestants who have graced the stage -- oh yes, she did -- she's most proud of Scott and it has nothing to do with his "challenge" (he's nearly blind) but everything to do with what he does that makes her forget about that "challenge."

Matt Giraud ventures into "contemporary" land again, with The Fray's "You Found Me" and while it's not as big of a train wreck as his Coldplay night, it's nearly that bad. Judge Randy Jackson keeps telling Matt he needs to be Justin Timberlake, but Matt's still having none of it.

Lil Rounds tries yet another look -- 1940's nightclub crooner -- and takes a stab at Celine Dion's "I Surrender" to placate the judges, who've told her she should sing something big. They decide it is the wrong "big," and she should have gone with, say, a Mariah Carey tune. But Lil is saved when Seacrest deploys one of her beautiful little children to cling to Randy, creating "Idol's" Cutest. Moment. Ever.

Adam Lambert -- aka The Only Reason to Watch This Season -- has put together a Tim Curry-meets-Little Richard version of Wild Cherry's "Play that Funky Music," which causes Paula to gush he's the next Mick Jagger, and Kara to rave that it was "like Studio 57." Which, presumably, is three better than "Studio 54."

And, finally, Kris Allen demonstrates he can also play piano with "Ain't No Sunshine" and it's a generally fine-ish performance, which means, yes, we are all going to have to learn to tell the difference between Kris and Matt. Unless Matt, last week's Nearly Booted, gets the heave ho Wednesday night.

Fingers crossed.

By Libby Copeland  |  April 1, 2009; 6:00 AM ET "American Idol"
Previous: "Idol," Put Us Out Of Our Misery! | Next: On Idol, Megan Flaps Her Wings and Flies Home

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Adam who? When will the judges' see beyond their taste for Hollywood filler and recognize the real talent? CrabbyGolightly.com

Posted by: crabbygolightly | April 1, 2009 7:29 AM

Adam is certainly polarizing, and I freely admit to being in the "Not Loving Him" camp. He's shrill, shreiky, waaaaaaay too theatrical and about as egotistical as Cowell. And if you do what I do, and listen without looking at the screen the first time around (just to hear the vocals), you'd realize that the two best performances VOCALLY of the night were Allison and Kris, not the over-pimped Holy Trinity of Adam, Danny and Lil. THOSE two are the ones that SHOULD be in the finals.

Posted by: nachobizness | April 1, 2009 7:59 AM

Adam is AMAZING!!!! He's the reason I watch every week. He never hits a wrong note. Allison is right behind him - also a terrific talent. The rest are good but forgettable. Doesn't matter who wins or loses - the public will make Adam and Allison stars when their albums come out. Thank you, American Idol, for bringing new, true talent to us every year and for being a family show we can all watch together. And wasn't Stevie Wonder fabulous last week? We're so lucky we got to see this musical legend singing and playing live with a medley of his hits - LOVE this show!!

Posted by: ryjus | April 1, 2009 8:13 AM

I keep holding out hope that Megan will do something great and unique, but she keeps getting worse. At this point I'm cool if she goes.

I'm no Adam fan, but I'm with Kara, I can't wait to see what he'll do next. He took the funk out of a funky song, which I didn't care for, but he certainly made it his. Like him or not, he's more of an artist than most of the others.

I really liked Kris last night. "Ain't No Sunshine" is an awesome song and he did it very well.

I'm done with Lil, Matt, and Anoop. They are doing nothing for me.

Posted by: MaltyCharacter | April 1, 2009 8:17 AM

Once again, the judges loved Kris. Sorry, I just don't see it. I mean, I'm sure he's a nice guy and all but I find him a boring singer. Allison's outfit was a stunner for sure. I like her and am amazed at what a mature voice she has but, to me, she is beginning to sound the same every week. However, that being said, I'll bet she's around for the long haul. And Scott, oh boy. I was surprised Simon didn't pull out the cruise ship singer zinger. I liked Megan a lot too but she did not sound good at all last night and I think she may be in the bottom three. Love Adam, Danny, and I'm beginning to like Matt more, even though the judges panned him last night.

Posted by: MILW | April 1, 2009 8:34 AM

Judges were right that Allison looked terrible.

They couldn't put their finger on exactly why, though.

I figured it out. She looks exactly like a troll doll with red hair.

Posted by: breitz | April 1, 2009 8:36 AM

Here's the problem: any "big" song is going to be the wrong "big" song for Lil, because all "big" songs are out of Lil's very limited range. They actually told her to sing Mariah? Are they nuts? You can tell that the producers are starting to get worried about Lil, they way they pulled out the "cute kid" card like that.

Adam really disappointed me this week. I have been a "hater" from the start, and acknowledged his very good performance last week hoping that he had turned a corner...and he just goes back into his same ol' drag queen shtick. Gag.

I thought Allison was good last night, but that outfit was distracting. It's kind of funny, I spent the whole time thinking about how horrible her hair was, that I didn't even notice her outfit until the judges said something.

Aside: Does anyone else think that the most "shocking" thing Allison could do at this point would be to come out on stage next week with (I'm assuming her natural color) brown hair? I think that would be sweet.

I didn't think Anoop was as bad as the judges seem to think he is every week.

I still can't tell the difference between Kris and Matt, except for now where I think the biggest difference is that Matt is the one with that distracting bump on the middle of his forehead and Kris is the one who will still be here next week.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2009 8:36 AM

"I like her and am amazed at what a mature voice she has but, to me, she is beginning to sound the same every week."

LOL, you mean *unlike* Adam and Danny who bring something new, unique, and different to the table every week?

Seriously, I couldn't disagree with Kara more when she said that she couldn't wait to see what he's (Adam) going to do every week because (last week the exception) I already know.

At this point, all the contestants are starting to sound the same every week.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2009 8:40 AM

The song choices sucked.

The performers sucked (mostly). Doesn't anyone know anything modern? And we're talking 40 year old stuff!

The judges sucked.

Good thing that I am addicted.

Posted by: idolguy1000 | April 1, 2009 9:07 AM

LOL - I missed the wash cycle dance this week, would have to find something else to laugh at - but never fear, here comes Cyndi Lauper's little sister Allison.

Loved Adam and Kris
Liked Allison and Matt (although not as much as last week.)
Just OK: Danny, Anoop and Lil
Bottom 2: Megan and Scott (even tho Scott did somewhat better this week.)

Here's the big question: If Idol hadn't pimped the "I just lost my wife sympathy story," would Danny still be getting raves, or be a middle-of-the-pack-where-he-belongs singer?

Posted by: brianb27 | April 1, 2009 9:38 AM

Top 3: Adam, Allison, Kris

Middle 3: Matt, Lil, Danny

Bottom 3: Anoop, Scott, Megan

(I could easily flip Matt & Anoop)

Posted by: SheldonAlexandria | April 1, 2009 9:40 AM

How one cannot be an Adam fan escapes me, because he is clearly the real talent this year. When is someone going to get the judges to shut up during the performances and when is someone going to get Simon Cowell to stop the crap with Paula?

Posted by: hugmekatie | April 1, 2009 9:44 AM

Anyone else notice how, since the final 12 were chosen, producers have saved the best performance for last? Is order of performer not supposed to be random? Oh wait, I keep forgetting, this is an entertainment show, not a talent show. The producers have no faith in the ability of the TiVo-watching audience to pick out and remember the best performer.

Last night's show was painful to watch - from Paula's bungling of her scripted comments to the horrible first 11 performances.

Posted by: cwright1 | April 1, 2009 9:53 AM

"How one cannot be an Adam fan escapes me, because he is clearly the real talent this year."

It's really not that hard. He turns every song (save for last week, the only performance I liked) into a musical theatre/drag show performance. He shticks it up all over stage singing with a voice, that while undeniably talented, is arguably screechy and grating.

If I was ever listening to the radio and heard his voice, I would switch the channel faster than I do that insipid Taylor Swift song that they never seem to stop playing.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2009 9:55 AM

Adam is a good entertainer, but they could probably substitute any guy currently doing community college dinner theater shows and we wouldn't notice the difference. He'd be fun to watch on tour, but who would buy his albums? No one stands out enough to make me pick up the phone.

Posted by: kirstenpaulson | April 1, 2009 10:11 AM

please tell me someone else saw David Spade in the background after Lil Rounds sang and Randy was talking??

He totally took his gum out of his mouth and stuck it on the bottom of his seat!!

Posted by: punkrokcroc | April 1, 2009 10:14 AM

Ok, my top 3 (in order)1. Adam, 2. Allison, 3. (new this week) Kris.
bottom 3. Anoop, Scott, Megan.

Speaking of Megan, I keep hoping she will do well and she keeps not. She might be out of time and it is doubtful the judges would "save" her, although I would like to see her again.

Anoop has a nice voice but is totally forgettable. Scott is still a feel good story and did his best job yet, but both should find a lounge in an off the strip casino and sing for their suppers. I wouldn't care if either got sent packing.

DannyMatt er...MattDanny...to me are interchangeable. Good/bad bad/good doesn't matter.

Add Lil to the mix if you want. except for the gender thing she can fit right in. Decent voice, wants to be a show-stopper, but falls just short. Got potential, though.

Adam is the reason most of us look forward to the next competition. Regardless of his look du jour (like to see some different earrings...or none at all) everything he does is terriffic. He makes everything his own and does it well. Always on key and on rhythm. A must watch.

Kris is growing each week. Although he lacks a flair for the flamboyant his stock is definitely on the rise and I want to see more.

Which brings me to Allison. She is bringing it every week, including this week. The softer first part of her song was very well done and of course the rest was vintage Allison. Simon said she screamed the song but some may have missed Randy loudly disagreed with him. I'm with Randy on that one. I want to see more of her, not that that will be a problem. Even if she were somehow eliminated she would merit a save.

Speaking of those hypocritical judges, what is the fuss over Allisons outfit? When it suits them they love to use the "it's a singing competition" card and then start critiquing how they look. I think Allison looked fine in a sundress over some leggings. Totally appropriate for a 16 year old. Next time they will tell her she is dressing "too old". Just shut up about the outfits and judge the singing. Or in Paula's case, just shut up.

Posted by: ZiggyZ | April 1, 2009 10:22 AM

I know I should be talking about the performances of the singers, but did anyone else find it hilarious that the audience started shouting Kara down? She has not engendered much love at all, and I don't know if she ever will. The producers brought her on so late when the show already had established its identity, especially the judges. She's definitely in the same vein as 'Little Stephanie'(All in the Family' signaling the near end of the show. Now if only we could get her to attempt a jump over a shark.

Posted by: peter_colt | April 1, 2009 10:24 AM

Long time lurker, first time poster, but I couldn't let the most absurd comment in Idol history pass without remark. Really Paula? Putting Adam in a group with Mick Jagger and Steven Tyler? On a list of flamboyant dressers, maybe, but to say Adam's voice is even in the same universe as Jagger and Tyler just proves how clueless she is. I'm no fan of Adam, though I'll admit he has a pretty good voice when he stays within his range, but when he does his Steven Tyler impression there's nothing musical about it, it is just screeching.

Posted by: smallhomes | April 1, 2009 10:36 AM

Oh, and if anyone wants a point of reference as to exactly *how* bad Lil's performance was this week? Kelly Clarkson sang that exact same song in Season one...

Go ahead and find yourself a recording of that and listen to them in succession. IIRC, Kelly had been sick that week as well.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2009 10:47 AM

I feel like most of the contestants have never watched American Idol or listen to what the judges say! Most of them sound like talented karaoke performers -- maybe they can carry a tune but there is nothing new or exciting. Megan made me cringe with that choice. Allison can sing but she looks ridiculous - could someone please tell her to dye her hair back to some sort of natural color?
Let's face it - Adam (who I didn't like at first) at proven his chops. He seems to be the only one who can give a (perfectly chosen) song a new twist and his own interpretation.

Posted by: jersey407 | April 1, 2009 10:50 AM

I'm coming to Idol's defense here for adding Kara, for a couple of reasons:

#1 - I like when she suggests contemporary artists the contestants might consider - don't think the other 3 would know a comtemporart artist if (s)he landed in their laps.

#2 - When Kara says "Just [enter number here] words, we immediately freeze the screen and take bets on whether she has counted right. Now that's entertainment.

The Simon/Paula interactions are the most annoying part of the show. I wish Paula and Kara would swap seats. If Simon pulled that crap with Kara, I bet she'd land a good left hook on him. Then the ratings would soar.

Posted by: brianb27 | April 1, 2009 10:50 AM

VTDuffman I could not agree with u any more! Adam is the same tired old 1980's crap screeching every week! He ruined another classic song last night.

Posted by: sivwiz | April 1, 2009 10:51 AM

breitz: Troll doll link made me smile. There was some resemblance! I think last night she was dressed as the Madonna-as-material-girl troll. I like Allison, but last week she was better.

Posted by: owingsmills | April 1, 2009 10:56 AM

"Someone tell me where the dinner theater, community college or drag show is around here where I can see someone who can sing like Adam. Come on, name names, dates, where I can find their next show in the City paper. If there's anyone with that kind of ability in the Baltimore-DC area I've missed, I wanna know."

Arlington Players, Little Theater of Alexandria, Elden Street. Go to the WATCH website, most of those companies have similar talent.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2009 11:09 AM

I thought Allison looked more like Pebbles Flintstone than anything else. I was half expecting Fred, Wilma and Dino to join her on stage.

Posted by: jpstang | April 1, 2009 11:40 AM

I am in agreement with you peter_colt- the audience takedown of Kara was definitely on one of the more entertaining portions of last night's fairly lackluster show (I can't believe Idol would be more interesting on Motown night than on whatever song a person would like to sing night- it's too bad since I've always wished they would do less cheesy theme nights).

I'm not a singer and may be way off on this but it seemed like Lil was flat for a considerable part of her performance- most noticably on some of the bigger notes. It was not pleasant to listen to.

I think Lisa is undervaluing Kris at this point (has she been chit chatting on the phone during his last three performances?) He seems like the antithesis to Adam this year. Quiet, restrained, modest- but still on pitch, inventive, and emotionally sincere. He's growing on me.

Posted by: repricer | April 1, 2009 12:08 PM

Posted by: Nova14 | April 1, 2009 12:10 PM

I thought Kris was great. Previously thought he was boring/forgettable but I think he stole the show last night.

Adam fell back into screech owl territory. I have never really loved him, save for recognizing an outstanding performace last week, but he lost my vote last night with his howl & growl routine.

And how can you all make fun of Allison's hair and not Adam's??? He obviously took all that "young Elvis" talk from last week to heart because his bouffant was ENORMOUS!

Megan will go home tonight. She was awful.

Posted by: AmuseMe | April 1, 2009 12:24 PM

"I wish one of the judges would grow some b@lls and tell Scott HE CANNOT SING. I don't care how "moving" his story is, it is painful every week. Megan is the same way."

He's fallen off alot, but he was pretty goos this week, IMHO. When he sang "Home" in hollywood week, he was very good also. I agree that everything else he has done has been pretty weak.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2009 12:25 PM

repricer I agree...I thought Lil was what they call "pitchy" several times. when they didn't say anything about it I thought it must be me. What good is singing "big" if you don't sing good?

Posted by: ZiggyZ | April 1, 2009 12:28 PM

KaRandy is boring and sooo predictable. I call her Randy's Parrot, with an added 7 word mantra: "commercial package Artist with Artistry". She's making Paula look analytical and penetrating by comparison

Matt is utterly boring and forgettable. His fan-base must be about zero, so hell probably go tonight.

Kris impresses me every week, and more than ever last night. Hits every note and sings beautifully (and plays guitar and keyboard) with no pimping or puffing from th producers or judges. Beginning to think he'll be the next AI.

Megan is fun to have around, and who knows, maybe she'll sing well some night. She's not leaving this week (see "fan-base").

Lil is tedious and second-rate. Her high note shouts were actually painful last night. Demographics will probably get her at least to 5th (see Paris Bennett), or even 4th (see LaToya London), but not 3rd (she's nowwhere near Melinda, which ain't saying much). Hauling out the Cute Kids last night was unnecessary, but her continued mediocrity must have spooked the Producers.

Adam relapsed after Motown peak. Danny Dorky was awful as usual and even less enjoyable without flaunting his Dorkisms. Allison good but needs something a bit different for a breakout performance. Scott predictably found his utterly safe niche in '70's Schlock Heaven: Billy Joel. He's safe for another week.

Forgot someone. Oh yeah ... Anoop. Wonder why I forgot him.

Posted by: Brookelover | April 1, 2009 12:31 PM

Adam, Danny, Kris. Final 3. Danny was great last night.

Posted by: maris1 | April 1, 2009 12:39 PM

Anoop Dawg needs to go home. He is too arrogant and disrespectful. The stuck up attitude with the judges will send him packing (finally)...here's hoping.

Posted by: maris1 | April 1, 2009 12:41 PM

I actually agreed with the judges about Allison's "look" and immediately thought of Cyndi Lauper, too - but what I thought was Cyndi Lauper is a great singer and she didn't have to look kooky - esp after we already realized she was a great singer.

Madonna, on the other hand, is neither a particularly great singer OR actress, so I think she truly had to wear the bullet bra, etc.

I will also never understand amateur contestants who don't "get" that, to win, you'll have to agree to go along with what track the producers want your career to take - and which track they think they can successfully pimp for a year or two.

Contestants who repeatedly ignore the "advice" (such as Matt and Megan) never win.

It isn't about just doing what you like. It's about figuring out your strengths and playing to them. If your lower register isn't your strength - don't choose songs that heavily emphasize it, Megan.

Does Matt simply not LIKE R&B? Many great (and rich) recording artists were not "crossover" artists. I don't think Johnny Mathis ever recorded a country western hit - but I'll be he laughs all the way to the bank.

Otis Redding, to my knowledge, never recorded a show tune, but he is in the pantheon of all-time great recording artists.

So Matt should get over trying to "prove" he's somehow *versatile*. This week, Scott "got" that point - and even though it's not my favorite genre, his performance was much better, and in my opinion, for once he does NOT deserve to be in the bottom 3 for playing to his strengths.

Along with Matt and Megan, I'd place Anoop - who also did what he wanted rather than maybe what shows him off the best (as more "unique" instead of a wannabe copycat - and not as good as the original version).

Success in any career is about finding a mesh between what you personally like (and your skills and talents) and what the job "requires". You'll never get there if you aren't brutally honest with yourself about your skills and talents - and what the job "requires" of you.

I'd put Lil in that mistaken group, too. I don't think she has the skills for the "big" diva songs, much as she would like to be one. I think she should aspire to Gladys Knight rather than Celine Dionne, for example.

Posted by: jqw3827 | April 1, 2009 12:46 PM

I thought Anoop's performance did nothing for his voice. I love it when he just SINGS. Somehow, though, I can't see him becoming a successful R&B recording artist.

Megan was just...bad. Go home already. She'll end up doing shoe commercials like Nanny Brooke from last season. (did anyone else catch her in the DSW ad?)

Scott actually did a song that fit him, but I have a hard time watching him. I predict that he'll be around next week, but will go home soon enough.

I thought Danny's performance was good, as usual. I'm waiting on him to do something with less shouting.

Lil is on shaky ground. She has yet to pick the right song. Loved the look, though.

I thought Alison shouted most of her song and her phrasing was off. Didn't like it.

Adam was good, but his dancing was really distracting to me. Can't wait to see what he does next week.

Kris is my new favorite. He has a Jason Mraz/Jack Johnson/PatMGee vibe about him that I love.

I was so disappointed in Matt that I almost forgot to write something about him. I love his voice, but the rock covers just sound karaoke to me. He might go home tonight.

Posted by: earlysun | April 1, 2009 12:54 PM

Missed the show again last night, woe's me. NOT! Thanks Lisa and all the posters for the recap and snark.
Glad Allison remains strong. Yes the outfit looked ridiculous, but hey she's a teenager. I saw outfits worse than that last night at my son's highschool event.

Posted by: hodie | April 1, 2009 12:55 PM

I swear I thought it was one of you posters who shouted out "Broken record!" to Kara last night. The whole song choice thing (however true it may be) is really starting to get annoying. And did anyone else notice Ryan Seacrest's dig at Kara miscounting her words?

As for Randy, the most entertaining part of his commentary was David Spade's face over his shoulder. I kept wishing they would trade places for the night!

It seems as though Adam is the biggest cause of tension this season. Regardless of whether you love or you hate him (there seems no in between), at least we all have strong feelings about him! I vary between love and terror most weeks, last week being more love, this week being more terror.

I'm not into the Allison hype this week, but I loved her last week.

Matt looks miserable. And yes, his mid-forehead-mole is quite distracting.

Megan. She's cute, everyone wants her to do well - but she's not doing well. Let her go home.

Scott - compared to his previous painful performances, last night was a welcome relief. Which is not saying much, but still. I would rather see Megan go home before him.

Posted by: raquel2 | April 1, 2009 1:10 PM

hodie, i posted this last week for you - a picture of clean-cut Adam since u missed it.

Posted by: raquel2 | April 1, 2009 1:14 PM

"Danny - I like Danny. I WANT to like Danny. But his performance last night sounded strained and painful."

Wow, I pretty much agree with you pont-for-point in your entire post. Esp. This part. I didn't think Danny did that well at all last night, the whole song seemed off-key to me. I thought I was the only one.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 1, 2009 1:20 PM

Me too, Lisa—I’m hoping Viva La Idiota will be put out of his misery tonight. He’s always such a snore and is doubly annoying because he seems to think he’s a lot better looking and talented than he is. Though a lot of that probably comes from the undeserved and *completely* inexplicable pimping he was getting from the judges the last couple of weeks. Glad they de-pimped him last night—I was starting to think he was another plant like Joanna Pan-whatever—how else do you explain all the praise for such an unattractive guy singing so mediocre-ly? Bleh, I hate when “Idol” thinks it can get away with anything b/c we, the audience, are such mindless idiots. \=( if Matt goes home tonight, it’ll be an audience victory over the “Idol” machine~ …but I won’t hold my breath… =__=

And I’m calling it right now—final will be Adam vs. Kris!!

Things are going better than expected with Gokey’s falling star… He’s showing more and more cracks in the “nice guy” act every week, so hopefully, America will get a clue and ditch him around Top 5. Then, all the “nice guy vote” will be transferred to the *real* dark horse—Kris. Solid, original performances every week, perfect boy-next-door good looks, straight-arrow personality… he’s what middle American craves (and talented and un-precocious enough not to annoy the rest of us).

Allison will make Top 3 and be cut (for her own good, so she can get a decent contract that will allow her to make more dynamic music than Idol winners are allowed to), and the final will be Adam v Kris… Adam is more talented, but Kris fits the Idol mold better, so he’ll be our Idol this year.

Betting pools? :D

Posted by: Kureno | April 1, 2009 1:28 PM

My first reaction to Allison is that, with her cherubic face and costume, she looks more like a Cabbage Patch Kid than anything. And for the second week in a row, Adam looked like Elvis by way of Kurt Russell.

I, too, enjoyed the ribbing that Kara got from those guys in the crowd, but it became clear that they were out to heckle all the judges. I didn't notice David Spade, though I did notice some "Real Housewives" last week. Why would Fox allow stars from competing networks so much face time when they could have Ozzy biting a bird's head off?

I'm in the either/or category for Adam, and it jumps from week to week. He's undeniably talented, but unlike last week he came across once again as too self-indulgent -- as if this competition is his to lose and he knows it. He may be right, but that attitude may get him kicked off.

Lil once again didn't do it for me. I know she's got it, but for the last two weeks she was like that old car of mine that wants to start but keeps going Rrrr-rrrr-rrr.

Megan was sick when she sang last time. I was sick when she sang this time.

Danny needs decaf.

I think that was the best we could expect from Scott, who should get degree-of-difficulty points for performing with a rodent atop his head. But if that's his finest, then it's time to say see you later.

I thought both Anoop and Matt sounded fine. I can't wait to see them perform next week from the top of a wedding cake.

Posted by: jd121 | April 1, 2009 2:05 PM

I'm with you raquel2 and VTD. I like his voice, but I'm not wowed, and last night was boring. He won't be AI - hope I don't eat my words. I keep wondering why Simon let's some people off.

Although has anyone looked at DialIdol? Megan is in bottom as she should be, but Allison is next to her. Gokey is #1 in voting.

I'm so tired of Matt and Anoop - both have been pimped for too long. I get the sympathy for Scott - he's pleasant and he's gracious. He actually is likely to learn alot from this experience. I doubt he'll ever be commercial but he could make a nice life for himself.

I go back and forth over Adam. I think he is overrated but I admire his approach. I think he is smart and polite. Hate the hair (until last 2 weeks), hate the drag queen shtick, don't mind the screeching too much and occasionally enjoy his voice and style. But he is the most interesting and surprising contestant.

I agree with you Kureno, I think Kris is the sleeper who may win - kind of like David Cook was. Who new that DC would plow his way to top by being smart and thoughtful in his stylings. Kris's politeness will also engender him with audience. He is also attractive in a safe way.

Note to wannabe's: don't argue with judges. Ever. You may be right, but probably not, and you sound arrogant.

Posted by: MarriedMom | April 1, 2009 2:06 PM

For the first time this season, I agreed with Kara. Anoop Dawg was a sweet crowd favorite in the beginning, but when he was brought in as a wild card, he has proven himself to be the annoying-know-it-all-bratty-kid you used to hate in Junior High. He really was irritating with his back-talk last night. Kara nailed it when she said he looks like he is singing on a drunken dare. (I know, she didn't say the drunken part, I did).

I like Allison, and have been a supporter of her all along. I thought she was outstanding last week. I think she just is not cut out to play a guitar when she performs. It threw her off, completely. Foolish outfit or not, I agree that the judges should decide once and for all whether or not this is a singing or fashion competition. It seemed like Carly was really the impetus for tormenting contestants on their fashion preference. BTW, what the heck did she say in response to Seacrest? Garble, garble, garble? Hoot, click?

And, speaking of fashion preference, what the bloody heck is Lil's?! I have never been a big fan of hers, I know she can carry a tune, but I thought Simon was almost going to say what I have been thinking every week; what the heck is her personality?! It's different every week, and I thought she looked silly with her wig. Her children are adorable, though.

I just love Adam. Love him. I rewind and re-watch him each week. Danny, too.

I appreciate that you all acknowledge that it is more the producers than Danny who pimp the widower story.

I thought it was hilarious that Seacrest totally made fun of Kara's inability to count her words.

Megan. Megan, Megan, Megan. She is beautiful, but just not qualified to be there. She just can't put that weird timbre on every single song. Put her out of her misery!

I always thought Kris was good, but I totally agree-he is the "dark horse." Not overly-proud Alexis Grace. Kris was visibly stunned when he made it to the top 13, and has improved each and every week. Similar to Diana DeGarmo years ago.

Posted by: Iteachmusic | April 1, 2009 2:55 PM

I really agree with most comments - except the Adam lovers. Talented, but not genuine.

In a way, he reminds me of these Chinese guys who don't know a word of English, but totally wail at Scrabble just because they've memorized the high-point letter combination words. Adam knows the AI rules and knows how to win, but that doesn't mean he's the most talented.

This crop of Idolettes is even more boring than David Archuletta.

Posted by: molsonmich | April 1, 2009 3:21 PM

Am I the only one who sees Kris doing the David Cook arc? He came up in Stealth mode as an unknown, started doing very unique and original arrangements, showed off his musical and vocal talents more and more each week. I've been very impressed with how much he has improved each week. I think he's the one the frontrunners are afraid to see in their rear-view mirrors.

Hmmm...I'm another "not so into Adam" one. And yes, there are several performers in the Washington DC community theater scene who are very similar. In addition to the WATCH web-site, you can visit www.srbnet.com and get links to almost all of the community theaters in the DC metro area (and some in the Baltimore area). There was a recent performer at the Greenbelt Arts Center in their version of "Rocky Horror Picture Show" (playing Frankenfurter) who reminds me a lot of Glambert. And a couple who have performed at Kensington Arts Center (in their recent "One Red Flower", last year's "A New Brain" and more). There are at least a few dozen big pop rock voiced community theater performers in the area. (Yes, I'm very active in the community theater arena and have heard many of them perform).

Lil and Matt are suffering from the same problem. They both are too caught up with singing the music that they like rather than the music that they are good at. They both need to step back, and review all of what they've done to date, figure out which ones were more popular and work in that direction. Lil needs to give up on the Diva routine because she doesn't have the pipes for it. Granted no one else does this season (so weird when we've had up to 4 divas in a season, to have none this year), but she's trying to fill a niche she can't and it's going to cost her if she doesn't right the ship. She needs to go back to R&B and softer Motown. Matt needs to stick to the R&B and Jazz type stuff that he does well and give up on the modern stuff that he loves. Keep that for the club nights or that's all he'll be singing and not on national television or on a record label.

Posted by: DadWannaBe | April 1, 2009 3:40 PM

Scott--unlike Lil, he does need to stay in the AC category. It's what he does. Last night was the first time he was above "Meh" in a while and I'm one of the dying breed that likes him.

Allison was definitely the leading contender for WTF? last night. This was a train-wreck. Her vocals were not on a par with her previous weeks and that's why they didn't comment much on them. Her hair and outfit looked like she had ticked off the hair/makeup/dressing teams and they all took their revenge on her. With her voice, she does not need to advertise Style over Substance, so she needs to tone it down to "comfortable rocker" standards and let her voice do the talking.

Okay, I admit, I'm a Danny Goofy fan (according to Kris in his "Top 9 confession" video on youtube, Danny Goofy is what the other finalists call him because he's the clown/jokester of the bunch). I like his voice and think it reminiscent of Bryan Adams and Bruce Springsteen. Most importantly, though most of the Internet dweebs hate his back story about his wife and his religious background, there is a huge non-Internet fan base of people who like the wholesome clean-cut image. And they are voting in big numbers. Check out dial-Idol and you'll see that he's only been out of the top spot once since the start of the semi-finals. And even if it doesn't include text messages and isn't completely accurate, it's reasonably close and he is definitely one of the top-3 popularity wise. He's in for the long haul and those who don't like him will have to put up with him until at least the top-3.

Megan has been torturing us for far too long. She's only survived based on VFTW and the judges favoratism. They like the former Megan Joy Quirky but this week was even worse than her "Torturin' Robin" and most review/vote sites have her most probable to leave (almost twice as likely as anyone else).

Anoop who? By the end of the show, I had already forgotten his performance. He has a good voice, but a totally forgettable personality and weak stage presence. He's only been saved by the handful of people that didn't deserve to be in the finals the judges put in.

I think that Anoop, Scott and Megan will be the next three to go in some order. None of them are in the same league as any of the other six even though the top six are in two or three different leagues as well. Those top six (Adam, Allison, Danny, Kris, Lil, Matt) will have three weeks to create the following that will let them survive week-to-week, but they'll need to show it while they still have this buffer.

Posted by: DadWannaBe | April 1, 2009 3:41 PM

The bottom 4: Scott, Anoop, Megan, and sadly Matt. Megan is the vote for the worst canidate and will miss the bottom 3 tonight.

Scott- when Paula points out she is not noticing your 'challenge', she is noticing it. The good will is coming to an end, and the real question is whether you go out as 9, 8, 7 or 6.

Matt- too bad. I & Judges like bluesy, but America doesn't, so you move into a direction you think America likes, and the judges hate it. What will America say tonight?

Megan- the tatoo and poor posture render her unattractive to me (notice the shoulder slump next time you look at her). I think the vibrato signature move for her has a limited range, which was noticeable last night.

Anoop- in a similar situation to Matt. This time Judges want sappy spotlight songs, but I don't think America is going to pay for those, so how well he does in R&B is the real measure of this Tarheel.

Lil- struggling. I think her basic flaw is creativity. There is no original interpretation of anything, so she strives to be authentic, and winds up being boring. She can sing well though. Did not like the disco look.

Allison-the thing that turned me off was how not-Gwen she sounded in the chorus/refrain. The initial part was good, but there was no real punch, and she fell short of Gwen as many fall short of Whitney. Wrong song, wrong look.

Kris- stepped it up a notch, demonstrating he can out piano guy the guys who piano guy for a living. He will do well because he can poach into the sappy piano guy crowd that Scott and Matt lay claim to, and also vapidly strum along with a smile like Jason Castro. Should go far.

Adam- what can I say that will let my post go past the PC filter? Adam's screechy voice is grating on me much as Megans vibrato is. At first it was a novelty, and now it is a nuisance. Some like his 'high energy' performance, but I find it tiresome.

Danny- a nice clean warm voice that fills the entire room with positive energy. Danny can't dance, and we all smile about Danny not being able to dance. His challenge will come later when Kara tells him to mix it up a bit by sounding Not_Danny, and then we will have her groan and moan in the evaluation aftermath wishing for a return to the Danny-we-love. You have that roller coaster of bad advice to ride out to the final 2, Danny.

Posted by: Wiggan | April 1, 2009 4:49 PM

You know how sometimes watching AI results in your getting a song stuck in "endless mind loop"?

Well today, for me, it's not a song they intended.

Think back circa 1968 - Edwin Starr:

"AI [hunh ya!], what is it good for? Absolutely nothin'!"

Posted by: jqw3827 | April 1, 2009 4:55 PM

thanks Raquel. I almost didn't recognize Adam without all the make-up and weird hair. I'm one of those on the fence about Adam. I think he's just a bit scary.

I do like Kris but I don't think he is anywhere near the league of David Cook. I had DC picked after his first performance. DC did have the talent to change up a song and make it completely new. I haven't seen anyone else do that this season but Adam, but his don't always sit well for me.

I still think Allison is the best but too young and naive. She needs maturing to go with that grown-up voice of hers.

Agree Lil has been disappointing. Too bad she doesn't know how to use the voice she has. She could be great, unfortunately, unlike Allison, she does not have the time to develop. It's do or die time for her. (that's kind of unfortunate being that she's not even 30).

Posted by: hodie | April 1, 2009 4:56 PM

Yes Scott has a challenge and yes he has some talent, but wow-he was so off key last night it was embarrassing. Judges need to stop making allowances for him. Definitely in the bottom three after last nite's effort.

Adam still leads the pack - simply an awesome singer and performer. Very classy the way he gave his band credit after the song.

Allison is second to Adam. Amazing voice - her dress and hair are creative even if distracting to some, but that is irrelevant--the girl can sing.

Posted by: antiquepaper1 | April 1, 2009 5:27 PM

Okay, I can't play the piano with my eyes closed but Scott belongs on a cruise ship. Nothing wrong with that, someone's got to do it.

Lil needs to dump the wig and loungewear. Go to deep R&B.

Anoop will go home very soon to his full length mirror, hairbrush and practice a lot more.

Like, Scott, Megan has lasted because of factors other than talent. Really, her voice is creepy and what's with the crowing/flapping thing? Simon, what were you thinking?

Posted by: itsmyparty | April 3, 2009 4:44 PM