Matt the Hat Gets Whacked -- Again -- on "American Idol"

Fox celebrates its decision not to air President Obama's news conference by starting "American Idol" one minute early -- at 8:59 p.m. -- which will inflate early ratings on "Lie To Me," Fox's Obamavision alternative, making the network's decision seem that much smarter. Nicely done, Fox!

'Idol's' Matt Giraud gets eliminated for the second time. (Fox)

Show host Ryan Seacrest boasts more than 47 million votes were cast this week, which is this season's record. On the other hand, the producers had opened up a second voting line for each of the five Idolettes this week, to cut down on the "Idol" voting that might be thwarted by busy signals.

Before the show gets started, Seacrest throws to judge Simon Cowell, who starts in with "normally I don't say this" and then praises all five Idolettes' performances, adding "I mean, seriously I've got to hand it to them, last night -- it was probably the best show at this stage I've ever seen." If we didn't know better we'd say he was doing some backing and filling, based on pre-knowledge of the voting results, and that something big was about to happen.

This week's Ford Music Video points out the benefits of a hybrid vehicle if you ever find yourself running through the desert and a camel just won't do.

This week's Group Lip Sync/Sing takes on the "Rat Pack era" tunes "It Don't Mean a Thing" and "I Got Rhythm," only Seacrest calls the first tune "I Don't Mean a Thing." Much snickering at my house.

Seacrest brings up Allison Iraheta's birthday -- again -- and reveals Danny Gokey recently had a birthday too. In honor of the occasions, the Idolettes are seen in a taped bit, being forced to bake a cake for the camera in the "American Idol" mansion. Adam Lambert seems to takes it seriously, but the others erupt into a food fight -- mostly the Birthday Boy and Girl. Video over, Seacrest wonders who started the food fight and Allison blames Danny, who is then handed a "gift" in the form of an envelope with a Best Bets Maids Service bill for $6,000 for the kitchen cleanup. Product placement -- did not see that coming.

"Are you good for it?" Seacrest asks Danny.

"You mean 'American Idol' doesn't pay for it?" Danny asks incredulously. "I mean, come on! All the money -- "

Danny's cut off by Ryan, who says "Maybe we'll take care of it -- if you win." Another forced humor moment with Danny has gone terribly awry.This brings us up to about three or four now, doesn't it?

Awkward cleanup gag over, it's time to cull the herd.

Seacrest sends Matt Giraud to the left side of the stage and Danny to the other side -- but only after Danny tells Seacrest that this week he listened to Simon's advice and started "watching performers and what they do and trying to take part of that and get it in my performance."

Seacrest asks Danny if he's saying he has studied the other Idolettes.

"I have and I'd rather not mention who," Danny says, dangerously. So Seacrest doesn't.

Allison joins Danny after Seacrest reminds her Simon said she was in trouble this week. And Kris Allen is told to join Matt the Hat.

That leaves Adam Lambert to play American Idol Sophie's Choice -- an annual event in which one Idolette is asked to pick which group he/she wants to stand with -- the Losers Group or the Winners Group.

"Oh, come on! I love everybody," Adam begins, on the right track. But then he adds, "based on last night -- probably that group." He points at Danny and Allison and walks over to join them.

But Seacrest, who has to be thrilled that, after all these seasons, Idolettes are still falling for this old gag, then dramatically leads Adam away from the Winners Group with an arm around Adam's shoulder, and over to Matt the Hat and Kris.

Adam is in the Bottom Three.

Adam takes it well but Danny and Allison look shocked. Members of the audience look shocked. Judge Paula Abdul calls it "crazy" and thinks they should end the show now in a five-way tie. Simon says it's not crazy and that's not a nice thing to say to Danny and Allison; he congratulates them both.

Asked what he thinks of the stunning development, judge Randy Jackson wants America he know he and this week's mentor Jamie Foxx go way back and Jamie had come to talk to him before tonight's show. Meanwhile, judge Kara DioGuardi notes that once again, when it comes to Adam, her mouth went open. Much snickering by Randy.

Time for Natalie Cole to come out and sing because it's Rat Pack Era week and she's got a tour to plug. She sings "Something's Gotta Give" while looking wonderfully less embalmed than last week's disco-era singers.

And here comes former Idol, Taylor Hicks, singing "Seven Mile Breakdown" from his new album. He's lost half of himself and says "working, touring and being out with the fans" is his diet plan.

Seacrest says he's going to send someone from the Losers Pile to the Safety Seats. It's Kris -- he lets him know by tapping him on the stomach. This means either Matt the Hat or Adam is going to get booted this week, which means this results show will be utterly predictable or utterly surprising.

Time for "Idol" to pay up for Jamie Foxx's services as guest "mentor" this week. Foxx sings his new hit single, and gives yet another of those crotch grabbing autotone performances that seem to undermine the "Idol" franchise. He then chats with Seacrest about how the Idolettes are "five of the most talented people I've seen in the past 10 years."

Adam and Matt the Hat are brought out to hug Foxx. Seacrest wonders if Foxx thinks America got it right this week.

"I've hung with these guys and shared with them and it doesn't matter right now," Foxx begins.

"It's what's going to happen after this, and the careers that they're going to have after this and that is it, and also too, I got a movie out called 'The Soloist' so check it out."

Well, "Idol" certainly had that comng to it -- suppressing a man from plugging his movie opening when he's mentoring Idolettes, just because it's not a Fox flick. It's just not natural.

And finally, with only a few minutes left and nothing left to plug, it's time to announce who's out:

Two weeks after "American Idol" judges overrode viewers' decision to boot Matt the Hat from the singing competition...viewers booted him again.

A smarter judge than Kara would have realized what a resounding viewer non-endorsement of the Judges Save card this was. The Judges Save was introduced this season to make sure there would never be another Jennifer Hudson Embarrassment. You know, gimongously talented money-printing Idolette kicked off the show because his/her fans mistakenly thought he/she was so secure they did not pick up the phone to vote because it costs good money and then everyone talking the next day about what a travesty it was.

Kara, missing that elephant in the studio, tells Matt the Hat as he prepares to exit that "one of the best things we ever did this season was save you."

For two weeks? Really?

Had Adam been voted out, that would have had people talking today -- unlike Giraud's exit two weeks earlier, which the judges nixed.

This week Matt the Hat had mistakenly taken "mentor" Jamie Foxx's advice to lower the key in which he would sing "My Funny Valentine." Adam had no one to blame for his very Vegas performance of "Feeling Good," having apparently received no words of advice from Foxx, who reacted to Adam with "Absolutely incredible! You don't care about who I am at all!"

Another stunner: Simon, the night before, had called Matt's performance "absolutely brilliant" and heaped praise on Adam, too, while predicting Allison would be the Idolette who was at risk this week. At the end of Wednesday's results show, Seacrest asks Simon what advice he has for the four remaining Idolettes going into the next round of the competition.

"I'm probably the last person to give advice at the moment," Simon says in a rare instance of humility. Then, he thinks of some:

"Don't listen to me."

By Lisa de Moraes  |  April 30, 2009; 8:34 AM ET "American Idol"
Previous: When Presidents Talk Broadcasters Get Hurt | Next: NBC Pickups Announced

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Did Jamie Foxx even SING last night? What a mess that performance was. But I give him props for sneaking in his movie promo. Nice.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Natalie Cole looked and sounded fabulous. Dressed in age appropriate attire (you listening, Freda and Thelma?) I thought she looked beautiful.

And then there was Taylor Hicks. I've had root canals that were less painful then listening to that hack sing.

Teflon Matt the Hat is gone - no surprise. Adam makes it to the Bottom 3 - slightly suprised. Pokey Gokey sails through to safety yet another week. Oy.

Posted by: jpstang | April 30, 2009 8:44 AM

For someone who is "classically trained" and rocked it as Ray Charles, it makes absolutely no sense at all why Jamie Foxx would even consider using an autotuner/voice synthesizer. That crap was invented for people who can't sing. It sounds horrible and is a very annoying trend in music right now that needs to stop. Immediately.

When I heard that song on the radio for the first time, I was shocked to hear that was him. I thought I heard it wrong. I can't understand a word of it and the chorus is irritating. And I think he actually was singing it last night.

He almost made up for it for the movie plug. The reaction of Foxx and Seacrest was a classic Idol moment.

$6000 for cleaning a house? Really? I could see that if they were cleaning up after a swine flu outbreak in the house, but it's cake. You could tell it was staged because the camera and lights were covered up for protection. Still, it had to be more fun that a Ford video.

At this point, calling the bottom three is a joke, as one of them is the top three. Too few people to mean anything. I can't believe Adam fell for that old trick either. Do something cocky like stand next to Seacrest and say you are in the group with him, back again through the finale. Now that would be awesome.

Posted by: MaltyCharacter | April 30, 2009 8:59 AM

Cue! Please! Not queue! Think theater stage management, not standing in line.

But otherwise, as almost always, I agree with every word.

Posted by: MrsWhatsit | April 30, 2009 9:18 AM

I thought maybe the Fox Decency Police had Jamie Foxx's autotune turned up to the max to make the suggestive lyrics virtually unintelligible -- something about picking up a "shorty" in a club and I'm pretty sure "getting down" or "going down" with the refrain "blame it on the ah-ah-alcohol." This is, after all, a family show, even if, as Seacrest told us, "Blame It" is now the #1 song. (Actually he said something about that being no surprise -- well maybe to him -- count me among The Surprised.)

Love Lisa's deconstruction today of last night's show -- the product placement, what this says about the "judges' save," the dopey food fight bit and Ryan Seacrest. Can we vote HIM off?

You know, I loved Allison and Kris this week, and I was glad they made it through, and I didn't enjoy Adam's performance as much as the "Mad World" one (which I think was the best performance by anyone on Idol this season so far) but as I watched Adam in the bottom 2, I realized if he goes, the show gets a LOT less interesting and I'm not sure I care who wins. But he's back for next time. Phew!

Posted by: owingsmills | April 30, 2009 9:32 AM

Danny > Adam

REALLY???????

Posted by: raquel2 | April 30, 2009 9:39 AM

Did anybody else see Jamie Foxx mouth "I'm sorry!" after plugging his movie?

Did Taylor Hicks take some dancing lessons at the Justin Guarini School of Dance? There was so much squat dancing going on last night that I thought I was back to watching Season 1.

Posted by: StuckatWork | April 30, 2009 9:45 AM

Has no one learned from poor George's Season 3 mistake? Do not, ever, fall for Seacrest's "Go Stand With The Group You Think You Belong With" trick. It will always make you look like a d-bag. The only way lst night could have been better is if Seacrest pulled that trick with Dillhole Danny rather than Adam.

Posted by: beaker1 | April 30, 2009 10:12 AM

Yesterday I compared Adam to Elvis, I should have explained that I was talking physically. He's got the jaw, the eyes and even the curled lip. look for Elvis in white, from the '68 comeback special.

This was a typical case of safe so I won't bother. Fortunately Adam missed the fate of Daughtry and Hudson.

Adam has been the savior of the show this year. like him of hate him, people tune in to see what he'll do next. It beats all the change-ups that Idol itself came up.

Posted by: HaydenJ | April 30, 2009 10:16 AM

Wow, my typing is terrible today.

Posted by: HaydenJ | April 30, 2009 10:18 AM

Putting Adam in the "bottom three" was just a big ole transparent trick to build suspense. What does being in the bottom three even mean when there are just 5 contestants left? Next week, when there are just 4 left, the bottom three will also include someone who is also in the top two.

Posted by: pahardee | April 30, 2009 10:50 AM

Matt was the right one to go. Now it is a competition. The Final4 are def talented and each of them has a key demographic that they appeal to so it should get very interesting from here on out.

I was SHCOKED to see Adam in the B3. I guess I always assumed he was the top vote getter every week b/c so many ppl raved about his performances but maybe not, huh? Maybe he has been coasting in at the #4 or #5 spot each week and we just assumed differently?

Someone posted a link to a site once that showed vote totals. Anyone remember the link? Where did those numbers come from?

Posted by: AmuseMe | April 30, 2009 11:01 AM

Sorry, Lisa, love ya, but you're misremembering the reaction to Jennifer Hudson getting booted "early" all those years ago, which was a collective yawn. The only discussion back then was how the Bottom 3 that week had included Fantasia and another black woman -- and the commentary was all about how America is demonstrably racist and (according to Sir Elton John) would never choose an African-American Idol, precisely one year after Reuben Studdard won. JHud looks good only in retrospect, after having won the Oscar, but at the time she was a mess of a singer with no control over her voice, breathing, or stage presence. Early shocking eliminations were Tamyra Gray, Latoya London, and Chris Daughtry -- which, of course, makes your larger point about the silliness of the Judges' Save dead-on, since all three were sent packing on Top 4 week, and RanKarPau + Simon won't have the power to do anything about it at that point according to AI's new rules.

I am ashamed I know all this.

Posted by: Booklover1 | April 30, 2009 11:17 AM

Hayden - I really did understand what you meant yesterday. And I think the fact that Adam is trying for an Elvis "look" is obvious - from dying his hair black to the moue HE thinks mimicks Elvis' lip curl.

But - as I've written before - "moue" is a kind of pout or pose - and a pout isn't a snarl - and Adam doesn't fool me into thinking he might be remotely dangerous. Elvis was - and that's why parents everywhere were scared to death of his pelvic action.

So - I'm sticking with Freddie Mercury - in every single way.

I think that the rankings got it right - and I thank Lisa for my not having to watch the "vote off" shows, which I rarely do (until the finale).

I am one of those people I guess who DON'T keep watching for Adam, because I now think he has two modes and I already know them.

There's the "Tears of a Clown" mode and the Liberace mode - and both involve blue light. "Tears of a Clown" also involves sitting down and looking tragic and tortured; and Liberace involves standing up, strutting, looking out & proud - and wishing you were wearing maribou feathers - but not really carrying through with it.

And he seems to have two looks to go along with the moods: there's the slicked back "greaser" look - which is often paired with a very sharp shark skin suit; and there's the shaggy/mod rocker look - which is hipper than Liberace's hair ever was - but still doesn't seem remotely dangerous - faux biker/chains thingies notwithstanding.

I tune in because I want to hear Allison each week - and I keep hoping for Janis Joplin or Grace Slick. And just maybe I'll be "rewarded" with one of them next week.

Posted by: jqw3827 | April 30, 2009 11:18 AM

I gotta agree with pahardee. Makes no sense Adam would be near the bottom for the first time. I still hope Gokey is next. Can't stand that dork.

Posted by: ArlingtonGay | April 30, 2009 11:19 AM

Oh, and one more thing -- I can't believe you didn't have the AI Decency Police mobilizing en masse with snipers to take out Kara after her "my mouth always drops open with Adam" overshare. Not even Paula said anything THAT stupid during her first season as a judge. Maybe Kara will morph into her brain-addled mentor in more ways than one.

Posted by: Booklover1 | April 30, 2009 11:29 AM

Pleeezzee let Allison go next week. I hope Danny wins :o)

Posted by: maris1 | April 30, 2009 11:30 AM

A lot of people are commenting that Adam was bottom three with the additional comment "there are so few people left being bottom three isn't that big of a deal". He was bottom two which is a big deal.

As much as I've dislked Gokey this whole competition his strongest week by far was this week (maybe the only correct comment Simon made on Tuesday). But it's exciting to note that the final four are much more interesting that the four from last year.

Hopefully rock week will allow Allison and Adam to really shine and emerge as the likely final two.

Posted by: repricer | April 30, 2009 12:05 PM

So...four contestants left and four judges this year. Is next week the week where the judges pick their songs? I hope whoever gets Danny really screws w/him, 'cuz - ugh - can't stand him.

Posted by: beaker1 | April 30, 2009 12:06 PM

repricer--Ryan didn't actually say that Adam and Matt were the bottom 2. He just sent Kris to the safety sofa first. I think that Adam probably finished in 3rd and Kris in 4th.

Posted by: beaker1 | April 30, 2009 12:07 PM

jqw at 11:18, LMAO! Perhaps Elvis' and Freddie's love child?

Soooo glad Matt the Hat is gone. I think he knew it ahead of time. Did anyone else notice the tears in Matt's eyes long before even Ryan announced the loser? Maybe it was allergies.

Once we get rid of Gokey, we'll have a great show and I would be happy with any of the other three.

Again, Thank God for DVR. Didn't have to listen to Taylor or Jamie's songs. Speaking of Taylor, even though he was already prematurely gray, he seems to have aged tremendously. Certainly doesn't look barely over 30, which he is.

Posted by: hodie | April 30, 2009 12:12 PM

Matt going - not a shock. Adam in bottom 2 - a shock. But I kind of doubt it. Technically, he may have been #3. All Ryan did was say to Kris, "you're safe," and referring to bottom 2 doesn't mean that you are necessarily the next lowest vote getter. This is done ALL the time on Dancing/Stars. Since I don't trust AI AT ALL, I think they deliberately set Adam up to bring some excitement to show since Matt's cellar status was predictable.

According to the following web sites, Matt was predicted to go, as he was before he was saved. I also think AI wants to boost viewership and voting (ad dollars) so they needed to create this crisis for Adam.

Actually, I think this is point in competition where things can shift wildly, because when someone is booted, they leave a fan base which prefers something about their style/niche and which may shift accordingly. When Lil and Anoop left, the most likely beneficiaries were Allison (chick vote) and any guy but Adam - the safe crooners. Nothing edgey about Anoop.
It didn't help Matt, but it certainly may have strengthened Kris and Danny. With Matt gone, the latter two may further benefit.

The one thing which may help Adam and Allison next week is that the theme is Rock and Roll, playing to their strong suit. Perhaps producers planned it this way. Danny and Kris seem savvy enough though that they may figure a strong angle - or not. I like Kris, but think this may be furthest from his comfort zone. Danny seems to be a more versatile singer/performer. Should be interesting.

Can't wait to see the mentor - Ozzy Osbourne? Now wouldn't that be hilarious.

Kind of enjoyed JFoxx's mentoring, but his performance was AWFUL! Thought Ryan/AI showed no class in mentioning his movie after all the pimping for Tarantino and others. Come on, Jamie is a strong actor and has an Academy Award for playing Ray Charles and now is performing again as a musician, likely to be nominated again. Could anything be more of a tie-in to AI?!?
The guy shouldn't have to shout out - shame on Ryan!!

Posted by: MarriedMom | April 30, 2009 12:33 PM

Giraud should be pleased because he was outclassed by the remaining four and he did advance ahead of some talented people.

For those amazed at Lambert's bottom-2 showing (and yes, Seacrest did say they were the bottom 2) I think that many people are forgetting that the Internet enabled viewing population (in the thousands) are only a small portion of the total audience (in the millions) of AI. The general audience is much more interested in clean-cut, wholesome, often-country, often southern, often Motown performers. Rock and glamour are definitely not the big sellers. Lambert appeals to the Internet based subset, but Gokey appeals to a far bigger population of the AI audience that does not read or post about AI on-line.

And responding to kureno's comment from yesterday about Simon hating the humble, I couldn't agree more. You'll remember how hard a time he gave to Melinda Doolittle despite the fact that she was easily the most talented Season 6 performer. Easily outclassed the rest of Season 6 the way that some people (not me) think that Lambert outclasses the rest of Season 8. And she got booted by of all people, beat-box-boy (I can't even remember his name) and Jordin Sparks.

Posted by: DadWannaBe | April 30, 2009 12:34 PM

Michael Slezak talked about the Adam/bottom two situation on his EW.com recap today. Ryan Seacrest asked Jamie Foxx if he thought this was the correct bottom two. That sounds fairly clear cut to me that Adam was indeed the second least vote getter.

Posted by: repricer | April 30, 2009 12:36 PM

Well, Hodie, free advice is worth what you pay for it - and I know Adam didn't ask me for any - but I think I can save him a season's worth of "In Treatment" on Paul's couch by giving him my desk chair analysis.

I think the two "modes" - or flip sides of the same Adam coin - stem from the tortured and tragic realization that you really cannot wear maribou feathers and sing show tunes and make it big in mainstream entertainment in the US in 2009 - and that, this program is not really about getting a starring role in a Broadway musical - but initially a recording contract - and the further realization that nobody's going to buy an album of show tunes anyway so your label isn't going to back you in recording one - so you'd best have Plan B.

You would have come to this tragic and tortured conclusion after 10 years of slogging away in LA trying to make that real maribou feather dream come true - and having enough industry savvy to know if this particular Plan B gig doesn't work out, you're going to have to pack in by about 30 because you won't be as pretty after that.

It would tragically torture you to remember that even Debra Winger was told she looked "bloated" after she reached about 30 - and she was arguably already Tops in her Game - not trying to get her First Big Break.

I think Adam is simply an example of bad timing - he missed that Freddie Mercury Glam Rock time - or even Meatloaf Rock Opera Time - or the original Andrew Lloyd Webber Time, and he might latch on to Andrew Lloyd Webber's Limited Revival Time, except that he didn't go on that show in the UK, he chose AI in LA.

And that's why I think he really probably was in the Bottom 2 last night.

And that analysis won't cost you a dime.

Posted by: jqw3827 | April 30, 2009 12:50 PM

Agree that it was Danny Dorky's best week yet, and he was still no better than 4th best out of 5 (only arguably ahead of Matt the Hat). His singing is unpleasant, his dancing dorkisms are a joke, and his facial expressions and comments are painfully annoying. I only enjoy him as comedy when he's doing his Gokey Karaoke "dance" routine. During his performances we dance around the living room mimicing and mocking his dorky moves.

Just who votes for this clown? If he wins, it will be AI's biggest embarrassment ever! Can you imagine listening to (let alone buying) a whole album by this guy?

Posted by: Brookelover | April 30, 2009 1:00 PM

Maybe a big yawn to some, but I remember being completely shocked when Jennifer Hudson was voted off. She had been my fave that season, thought and still think she has an unbelievable voice.

At this point in the game, seems like people vote for that night's performance, rather than the big picture. May explain Adam in bottom 3. Good Final Four, better than most seasons' groups.

Kara was a good sport about the open mouth thing, you could tell she was embarrassed. Jamie Foxx should have been embarrassed about his performance. That merits a singer's mentor gig?

Looking forward to rock week.

Posted by: ILoveToSinga | April 30, 2009 1:04 PM

Actually, Brookelover, I could see myself buying a Danny album. And sorry (gasp), but I didn't get the Brooke thing at all. Diff'rent strokes fer diff'rent folks makes life interesting, que pasa? But bet we agree on one thing...music is food for the soul. Can't imagine life without it.

Posted by: ILoveToSinga | April 30, 2009 1:23 PM

jqw3827, I just thought of and even better comparison. Adam seemed to The Phantom of the Opera in his "Masque of the Red Death" scene.

I can understand your Freddie Mercury referance, but I can tell you Adam is even more dramatic.

I've seen both Queen and the Phantom onstage, and Adam only needs a mask to complete his transformation.

Posted by: HaydenJ | April 30, 2009 1:26 PM

I don't know how Natalie Cole was able to perform, given that she has terrible kidney disease. She deserves an "A" for effort, for going on tour to try to make some dough so that she can buy a kidney that's a tissue match from some schmuck selling his in Iran. (Hey, big market there for organs, according to CNN this week.)

I thought Adam sounded like a Vegas performer channeling Jimmy Page during parts of his song, but at least it was original. Matt's wasn't, and it sounded bad to boot.

As this season progresses, I loathe Seacrest more and more. He's obnoxious, not terribly clever with his delivery and fake-outs, and appears to have an ego the size of Montana. The producers would do us all a favor by whacking him instead of a contestant next week. Even hiring Regis or Kelly as his replacement would be an improvement.

Posted by: AmericanIdolHoopla | April 30, 2009 1:31 PM

MarriedMom: Seacrest said at the end of last night's show that next week's guest mentor is Slash (from Guns n Roses).

Posted by: owingsmills | April 30, 2009 1:54 PM

I missed the show last night except for the last 5 minutes so I appreciate Lisa's description of the proceedings. I feel like I saw the whole thing and I am somewhat glad I didn't. But imagine my surprise when I clicked on the tv and saw Adam in the bottom 2. I guess "Adam's Army" assumed he was safe and took it easy. Even if this week's performance was not his best, he makes this seaon compelling for the viewers.

But congratulations to America, who got it right this week...got rid of the D student (he changed his grade from D to B with one stroke of the pen.) After the tour maybe he can buy himself a hat that fits.

What is it with past winners/finalists? When David Archuleta was on I was wondering how he got to the finals and now I hear the soul patrol guy wasn't too sharp either. What were we thinking?

Now let's rock.

Posted by: ZiggyZ | April 30, 2009 2:25 PM

AmericanIdolHoopla wrote: As this season progresses, I loathe Seacrest more and more. He's obnoxious, not terribly clever with his delivery and fake-outs, and appears to have an ego the size of Montana. The producers would do us all a favor by whacking him instead of a contestant next week.

-----------

Amen brother/sister.

Posted by: topwomanexec | April 30, 2009 2:51 PM

Does Slash even talk????

Posted by: anny11 | April 30, 2009 2:51 PM

Hayden - I did refer to Adam for a couple of weeks as The Phantom of the Idol but then he DID get all Elvis on us and so I kinda dropped it. Until he did the Staircase. Maybe he's the love child of Gloria Swanson and Carol Channing????

As for Freddie Mercury, I never saw them live - but I think he was a product of his times in that he was not so "out" - even though I know he was in a group that called itself Queen. I'm just saying maybe that's why you don't feel he was as "dramatic".

Although I sincerely hope he does NOT sing "Bohemian Rhapsody" next week - I will surely allow that Adam is prettier than Margoulis ever was. And he seems very nice - and I've never disputed that he is talented.

I just think there are bigger questions with him over what niche, what kind of album, what his heart is really telling him he wants to do, what reality tells him he really SHOULD do, etc. And that's why I was less surprised to see his ranking drop a little.

In short, I'm thinking Adam is great to WATCH - but that there are others on that show now the majority of folks might rather HEAR. And in the end, I do think that will tip the balance.

My personal feeling is next week will be harder for Kris because he has absolutely NO rock edge at all. I can see/hear Danny doing Southern Rock and Adam and Allison having their choice of rock - though Adam is no head banger IMHO.

Posted by: jqw3827 | April 30, 2009 3:03 PM

For those who don't remember that Ryan said that Adam/Matt were the bottom-2, you can see the clip at the link below. It happens at 0:26 (this meter counts backwards, so it is 26 seconds from the end of the clip):

MomWannaBe and I agree wholeheartedly with JQW. We were talking about that last night, that Adam is more a spectacle than a singer. As a singer, we've seen lots like him in musical theater, reviews, etc. But the thing that sets him apart is the over-the-top theatricality. He'd probably do better head-lining on the Vegas strip than touring and making albums. He is not nearly as appealing in an audio-only format (although many are buying his itunes tracks).

As for Kris being an underdog, remember that there are plenty of softer rock songs including many by Kansas, Chicago, and others that will suit him. It just depends on what the short-list includes, but I have a feeling that he'll come out with the most contemporary sounding track from the lot of them.

Posted by: DadWannaBe | April 30, 2009 3:13 PM

question for all the Danny haters out there - did you dislike Clay Aiken as much as you dislike Danny? No disrespect intended, I'm just curious.

Posted by: too_through | April 30, 2009 4:07 PM

AMEN, "I love to singa". Like Brooke whatshername was a great talent - so not.

Posted by: MILW | April 30, 2009 4:36 PM

If Slash is this week's mentor that would be awesome. especially if he performs on Wednesday. He could help Adam (not that he needs help) on Sweet Child O'Mine from Guns n Roses. He has the range to pull off Axl's vocals and bring down the house.
Everyone is judging Adam how he does contry and standards. Remember his earlier rockers? I think (hope) we are in for a treat. Welcome to the Jungle

Posted by: ZiggyZ | April 30, 2009 4:55 PM

"But I think Allison will score better if she sticks to hard core GIRL rock - Joplin, Slick, Etheridge, etc. Can you honestly not hear her totally belting "I'm the Only One" and me declaring the competition done and dusted right there?"

Honestly? I think you've got it turned around. Vocally, yes she could technically sing those songs, but no, she's not like the three you mentioned, who always sounded like they'd had the emotions and experiences they sang about. Therein is Allison's problem for me -- when she sings adult songs about love and heartbreak, I admire her sheer ability but it's a kid playing dress-up. Jamie Foxx actually gave her great advice, and I thought that song worked better for her than some of the others she's chosen. The results of the voting suggest that other people agreed.

Posted by: owingsmills | April 30, 2009 5:40 PM

But, Owingsmills - she can't choose a standard on rock night. And 17 or not, she does see very mature. Jamie Foxx, IMHO made a big deal about her being "too young to have a boyfriend", probably did so because of recent very negative press about him vis-a-vis female teenaged singers.

There's no telling (and none of my business) what experiences Allison may have had. When I was her age, I had been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer - and if I could sing - brotha/sista - I would have torn your heart out.

I've lived long enough to know that everybody has "something" to tap into. Just because Jamie Foxx told her to think about her family doesn't mean she really was. :-)

At this point, I think if she plants her feet and bloody sings it - she will sell it - sans special light - sans grand entrances - and hopefully sans kooky "get up".

If I were her mentor, I'd put her in a white Gap tshirt, unragggedy jeans - and tell her maybe think about her favorite pet that got run over. If that wouldn't make a girl want to be held until the screaming is gone, I don't know what would - and the audience would never have to know what her "motivation" was!

That's "method" acting - and I think she'd be good at it.

Posted by: jqw3827 | April 30, 2009 6:13 PM

I do believe the group performance LIVE, and not lip-synced this time.

Posted by: katillac | April 30, 2009 8:55 PM

"Adam, who apparently has not been watching the show all along, does not know this is his queue to refuse to make that call."

His "queue"? Or is he in "line" for something we don't know about?

Lisa, Lisa. It's "cue"!

Posted by: kjohnson3 | April 30, 2009 9:42 PM

re: too_through

Yes! (IMHO)

Posted by: AmuseMe | May 1, 2009 9:48 AM

ZiggyZ, re: "What were we thinking?" We're reminded that the American Idol is the most popular contestant, not necessarily the best performer. I totally skipped last season for lack of interest. But I checked out Melinda Doolittle and was surprised to see this exceptional talent voted off @ #3. Most talented voted off, most popular won. Such is life on Idol. Does anyone have the demographics on the voting population of Idol?

Posted by: itsmyparty | May 1, 2009 3:57 PM

"She sings "Something's Gotta Give" while looking wonderfully less embalmed than last week's disco-era singers."

"Embalmed"--that is EXACTLY what those botoxed disco ladies looked like! LoL!! XDDD Great recap overall, but I think what happened with Adam wasn't exactly the fault of his performance the previous night. I think it was a mixture of Jennifer Hudson Syndrome (fans thought leader of the pack was safe and didn't bother voting) and perhaps--if you subscribe to the theory that the results are at least somewhat controlled by the producers--it was actually orchestrated to give Adam's fans a wake-up call about voting for him loyally every week like the Gokey Squad does. The voting numbers this year are still trailing previous years (remember that hefty 70 million calls during Idol Gives back?), so I'm betting the pressure is on to get those votes up to snuff. Poor Adam--I hope this won't scare him into turning back into Suit!Adam for next week.

Randomly, I'm so happy for my little Allison-chan~ she has always deserved to be solidly safe like that, so I'm glad she finally got to be one of the top vote-getters!

Posted by: Kureno | May 1, 2009 5:25 PM

I have voted for Adam every week until this time. I was put off by the theatricality of his performance, which had never bothered me before. This time he was a little too self-absorbed.

Posted by: nthwoods1 | May 2, 2009 7:46 AM