On Idol, Megan Flaps Her Wings and Flies Home

"American Idol" delivers its most over-produced opening bit yet -- the Idolettes have developed special powers and can now spin their heads around and emit back lighting.

During the pre-whacking judges' blather, Kara DioGuardi tries to make a move on Simon Cowell's turf as The Most Booed One. "Boo me, please! It hurts so good," she says -- or words to that effect. The audience mostly declines. And Paula Abdul, who'd come as Cleopatra to Tuesday's performance show, has changed costumes -- now she's The Coquette, in a lilac bustier with crystal straps.

Last season's Jason Castro and this season's Alexis "Dirty It Up" Grace are sitting together behind the judges, and 36 million votes were cast the previous night. Which disturbs you the most?

Tonight's Group Lip-Synch: that "Don't Stop Thinking" tune -- and just when we'd finally stopped thinking about that annoying "The Sopranos" finale. Then, a Ford Music Video homage to "Ugly Betty's" opening, and it's time to introduce something new: Idol Impersonation.

Idol Impersonation is not friendly. Danny Gokey's impersonation of Matt Giraud's Coldplay performance is actually cruel. Anoop Desai's imitation of Kris Allen's singing out the side of his mouth is pretty nasty work, too. "Idol" host Ryan Seacrest marvels at how this gang gets along, the best of any Idolettes ever. Phew, because for a minute we thought they did not.

This year's reigning Idol, David Cook, is brought back to perform while the "Idol" camera keeps cutting to his mom (or his cougar or something). After he sings, two blondes lug a platinum record over to him on stage, which totally threatens his cool. (Who gets platinum records anymore? What is a record?) Cook tries to recover, noting the "album" he cut before doing "Idol" sold 1,000 copies in a year but now his new "album" has sold a million copies in three months. (Still we ask: what's an album? What's a record industry?)

Seacrest starts divvying up the nine Idolettes into three groups on stage. Megan Joy Corkrey, Kris and Matt -- aka the Washing Machine and Two White Socks -- make up one group.

Adam Lambert, who has his hair down, indicating a non-work day, is teamed with Lil Rounds and Allison Iraheta. Scott MacIntyre, Danny and Anoop make up the final group.

Time to whack some Idolette. Of the first group, Kris the Mouse is safe and Matt is safe too but, because Fox wants to be funny on April Fool's day, Seacrest makes him think he's headed to one of the Seats of Shame, then marches him over to the Seats of Safety. Megan is sent to a Seat of Shame and begins to flap her arms and caw, like a bird. Gorgeous Megan may be the most tragic Idolette ever -- just one image consultant and one good slap to the face away from a genuine recording career. Asked her reaction to being nicked by Simon on Tuesday, Megan says, "I love you, Simon, but I don't care." This will come back to haunt her.

Of the second group, Adam is safest, while Lil Rounds is by far the weakest member -- and she's brought back the unforgivable nurse pants. But she played the Adorable Lil Kid card the previous night and so has immunity. Allison must therefore pay the consequences of her Troll doll look Tuesday. She tells Seacrest she had no idea the outfit, which the "Idol" judges mocked, looked that bad.

Of the third group, Danny is declared safe because viewers, like the judges, invoke the Gokey Pass for everything he does; he reacts by looking smug. Scott and Anoop are left hanging while Lady Gaga performs (and they made fun of Alison's s outfit?)

Post-Gaga, Anoop is declared the final member of this week's Bottom Three for having the previous night aspired to an R&B career, which we guess is what his lip curling was supposed to impart. If we suck in our cheeks and pout our lips, can we aspire to be Steven Tyler?

Seacrest was just kidding in re: Allison -- she's safe. As she's sent back to the Seats of Safety, Megan tells her not to forget to "caw." And they thought Tatiana Del Toro was weird.

Likewise, Anoop, who will be much more humble next week. Megan also reminds him never to forget the "caw."

So Megan's out, and judge Simon Cowell tells her that in much the same way she did not care about his critique of her performance, the judges don't care how well she re-sings this week's tune of choice -- they have no intention of using their "save" card to keep her in the derby. But Megan takes the high road. She thanks the judges and says "Baby, I'm coming home," to her two-year-old son at home. Finally she'll have time to sift through all those online marriage proposals.

By Lisa de Moraes  |  April 2, 2009; 6:57 AM ET "American Idol"
Previous: "American Idol" Digs Deep and Comes Up...Eh | Next: D.C.'s "Blonde Charity Mafia" is Now CW's Reality

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Well, it was time. I really liked Megan. I think her style is unique, but she didn't have the stage sense to use it well.

If I closed my eyes, I rather liked her take on that Marley song. But then, I didn't close my eyes. It was torture watching her gyrate around the stage.

If she had approached the mic in a more sultry manner, and sang the song a bit more subdued, she might still be alive today. She just overdid it, as she does just about everything.

I think she would a make a good jazz singer with the right coaching, though I doubt she can scat.

The right person was bumped. Next up?
Matt, Anoop, and then Scott.

I predict the judges will use their 'save' on Allison. I think she's fresh and interesting and a damned good singer.

Another big vote for Lisa's snarky columns. Been reading these even before I let my daughter talk me into watching this silly charade of a competition, thus lending credence to her subtitle 'Watching Idol so you don't have to'.

Posted by: Sacqueboutier | April 2, 2009 7:44 AM

I had decided going into the show that I wasn't going to watch the lipsync group sing. Because I have no self-control, I let it roll and I'm glad I did. What a treat it was to see Scott lean AWAY from the mic when he started to sing. He wasn't even close! I laughed out loud and replayed it again. I had wanted Scott to go next, but with these gems, how could I? It shows what a sham the whole performance is to begin with.

The impressions segment was just as entertaining. If it was mean-spirited, someone would have made fun of Danny by just saying, "Boo hoo, my wife is dead. Vote for me!"

Did anyone else notice that the judges were not around during David Cook's performance? Perhaps it was recorded earlier. There were stand-ins and the lights were never on them.

Wow, Lady Gaga is weird. I had never seen her before. I call her Future Megan, because this is what Megan could be some day. They are both quirky and have a unique style.

What the hell was Megan on last night anyway? She seemed extra crazy. Maybe the pressure got to her. The flapping of the arms and the caw crap was going out with a bang. Did she tell Simon that she didn't care so that would piss him off enough to keep from using the save? I do like that they saved us the suspense and came out with it before she sang.

Posted by: MaltyCharacter | April 2, 2009 8:11 AM

I think Megan just became the most awesomeest idol ever. She really has not been that great, but for some reason I still wanted her around. It seemed like she has some serious potential to be very good if she could find her groove.

Also, was she saying don't forget to 'caw' or 'call'? I kept hearing call.

Posted by: adbspam | April 2, 2009 8:15 AM

I agree with the notion that Megan could have had a career of some sort if she wasn't a lunatic. She has an interesting voice, it just seems like she has no clue what to do with it.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how Allison keeps flirting with the bottom 3 like that. Especially when people like Matt and Scott (and Lil) aren't.

Lady Gaga *should* have Lip Synced, holy cow...and seriously, what was up with that zippered eye patch thing? Do we think that Carrie Underwood lent her the wig she wore from the other week, or do they just patronize the same Wig Shop?

I liked that they didn't pretend like they were going to use the Save this week. We all know that there was no "evaluating" going on any of the other weeks, at least this week they dropped the charade.

Oh, she was saying "Caw?" I thought she was telling them "Don't forget to Call," as in she knew she was gone and was telling people to keep in touch. I guess "Caw" makes more sense (in a weird way).

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 2, 2009 8:24 AM

David Cook was recorded 2 weeks ago. That is how almost all the guest performances are done. I was so happy to see him back. Just emphasized the suckfest this year. GaGa's was live though. Miley Cyrus also recorded last night and will be seen next week.

Posted by: jljardon2 | April 2, 2009 8:35 AM

Caw, Megan, caw! We shall miss your insane weirdness and arm o' tattoos. You are an orthonologists dream. There's a bird sanctuary somewhere that needs you as their new spokesperson.

Posted by: jpstang | April 2, 2009 8:44 AM

A Jason Castro mention. I know someone who will be very excited.

Posted by: mstaines | April 2, 2009 8:53 AM

Lisa must be busy this week.

Glad Megan is gone. Hope Matt can get it together in the coming weeks. He's a talented guy.

Posted by: sknyluv | April 2, 2009 9:08 AM

Megan was so pretty, that she was not totally trashed for showing her big full sleeve tattoo - but remember poor Carly? She couldn't catch a break over the arm tattoos and I think it was because she wasn't as pretty or slim.

Sorry - that's just the way I see it.

Allison should sing Janis Joplin - NOW. Keep the crayola hair - but dress normal - and make people l*i*s*t*e*n to you, little sister. I'm rooting for you.

Posted by: jqw3827 | April 2, 2009 9:47 AM

"I think Allison's public "problem" is her looks - which I don't mind, but the AI viewing public seems very hung up on.

Sorry - that's just the way I see it."

I agree with you 110%, jqw3827! If Megan had been ugly she would never have made it to the top 12. SeriousLY! How did it happen? Really?

But when you think about it... would Danny still be here if it weren't for his sad story? Would Scott still be here if he had 20/20 vision? I'm just sayin....

Posted by: raquel2 | April 2, 2009 9:57 AM

Is anyone else disgusted by the way Seacrest pushes and pulls Scott around the stage? If he can't be bothered to learn how to assist a visually impaired person can't they just bring out the guy who usually helps Scott?

Posted by: jes11 | April 2, 2009 10:02 AM

Honestly, people, no, no, no to Allison and Scott. My wife, who derides me for watching this mess, listens from another room and yells out who is terrible - and Scott and Allison top the list, week after week. I feel bad for Allison, she is trying hard in her weird way, but she is in over her head. And frankly, Adam terrifies me. I think Danny is going to win it and kill us softly with smugness.

Posted by: bdean1 | April 2, 2009 10:08 AM

Given that his mom is black, I wouldn't exactly call Matt a "White Sock". I also liked the group sing, though I thought it was odd that everyone got featured except Lil who got a 2-bar solo.

Posted by: SheldonAlexandria | April 2, 2009 10:08 AM

Allison's technically proficient, but I find her singing voice to be quite unpleasant.

Posted by: tomtildrum | April 2, 2009 10:14 AM

I am bummed because I picked Matt to go in the EW poll. Oh well.

Megan is a total whack job. Kristy Lee last year made a much better "she's only here because she's hot" contestant.

Allison is odd. She doesn't really come across as young, a rock, a punk, or even just a good singer (though she is).

I can't even remember her nationality (or figure it out by looking her). I doubt anyone else can get their arms around her.

Matt, Scott, Annop, and probably Allison (and Lil, if she doesn't step up) to go and then it's game on.

Posted by: idolguy1000 | April 2, 2009 10:18 AM

I swear Allison is a 50-year-old smoker stuck in that body. There is NO WAY that kid is 16!!

Posted by: raquel2 | April 2, 2009 10:23 AM

That's the thing: Allison does not come across as youthful and she should! She is only 16, but she acts like the nasty old Mexican ladies who shove me away from the chili bins at the HEB (grocery store in San Antonio). It's like her parents saw she had talent when she was like 8 or 9 -- and then took her away from any normal social peer group to tour the region singing at Costco store openings and Fiesta/Fair side stages next to the 4-H barns and fruitilicious stands. If only they could get her to relate to her age group, and get a more current hair cut/color, she might be on to something. Otherwise, she is relegated to Spanish Pink Troll Doll.

Posted by: a68comeback | April 2, 2009 11:04 AM

Does anyone else think (assuming AI is fixed and the votes don't create the complete result) that Adam and Allison cannot both make the top 3 because they are both from the LA, and when they do the top 3 home town pep rally it will not work? Does anyone else think that AI adjusts the results and picks off contestants at certain times, for ratings sake?

Posted by: hsjz | April 2, 2009 11:05 AM

I agree w/ those who can't see Allison in the B3 (yet). Regardless, she needs to drop the Blagojevich hairstyle. The color is fine (for her, for a 16-yr old) but a cute cut would reconfirm her youthful appeal. And stay clear of the Pippi Longstocking outfits.

The judges have 3 weeks to use their save. They would've saved Allison (duh!) and might have to next week unless she steps up. The autosave next week is Adam, Kris, Danny or Allison, with a faint hope for Lil. If no save next week, I predict they will use it on whomever the Top 7 boot is if only NOT to have to use it last-chance on whomever the "lucky" Top 6 boot is.

Nest week is "pick a song from your birth year". I REALLY want Allison to sing "One Buffalo, Two Buffali" or "Double Up" from MaryKate & Ashley's CD from 1993. It's eligible -- I'm just saying!

Posted by: redrocket | April 2, 2009 11:09 AM

So glad to see Megan go. To me her "quirky" character is just annoying and while her voice is indeed "unique", it is also weak and out of tune.

And thanks to the judges for not going through the charade of deliberating during the final song. A rare show of respect for our intelligence.

Posted by: smallhomes | April 2, 2009 11:10 AM

I can not believe there is so much anti-Allison sentiment on this board! I think she is AMAZING. She is young, and daring (in appearance and song choice). She does not want to be a cute, blond Brittney-type. She has her own identity and at 16-years-old, I applaud her for that!

Also, she has true, albeit untrained, vocal talent. And while AI likes to talk about the "coaching" that the Idolettes get behind the scenes, it is VERY CLEAR too all that watch that these kids are basically left to sink or swim on their own. Rightfully so, I guess, as this is a singing competition but still...

I hate that so many of you focus on Allison's physical appearance. Why does it matter that her hair is shocking red, or that her outfit is weird, or that she isn't slender??? The judges remark on the contestants' wardrobe and appearance b/c they are tasked with preparing them for the "real world" of the music industry but we (the voting public) should not be swayed by appearance. Allison has soooo much to gain from the experience/exposure from this show, and yet she will be sent home and the opportunity will be passed to a less talented yet more commercially accepted Idolette - All b/c voters are obsessed with her weight and troll-like appearance. So sad.

You all sound very 7th grade.

Sorry. Rant over.

Posted by: AmuseMe | April 2, 2009 11:22 AM

Chill, AmuseMe. Many of us like the red one and are offering OHO's to expand on that. Everyone on this post opines every week what they liked and didn't like. We like playing judge and seeing how/if the contestants mature (Kris, Adam) stay stagnant (Danny, Lil) or flake out (Megan). That's part/parcel of our like/dislike for them.

Posted by: redrocket | April 2, 2009 11:39 AM

Oh dear God! NOT Miley Cyrus as guest! She has to be one of most annoying, over-hyped non-talents. She can't sing and she can't act. She is a Disney product. She is everything the judges say not to be: screechy, no artistry, boring, forgettable..DVR will pay off for that.

It was time for Megan to go, she knew it, and had spunky class about the whole thing. One of nicest send-offs ever. When she resung though, it was further confirmation that she may be the most physically awkward singer ever on AI. I thought she was beautiful, but oddly lanky, and unfortunately lacking in physical presence. Dance lessons maybe?

The judges will use their save for Allison if she needs it next week, although I think Anoop may go next. He is not improving and his attitude is obnoxious, especially in contrast to all the niceness of other contestants.

Like Matt's voice and previously vocal styling but everything else about him is ho-hum. So far, he verges on forgettable. He needs a huge performance to keep him going, but he will be gone in a few weeks.

Lil, Lil, Lil. Sweet woman with nice voice but is no where even close to the big voice talent of so many previous idolettes, esp. Mandisa, Melinda, Lakisha, and Jennifer Hudson, to name a few. I think the producers want her to stay in till top five at least so show doesn't appear racist. She may have had only two bars in this week's solo, but she was the solo star of the Motown group sing - a bit patronizing I thought.

I think Scott has peaked, but he may stay in another two weeks - call it the Brooke factor. No one wants to shoot the deer in the headlights. Good will runs out by week five or six. If you look at Dial Idol, in previous seasons, week 7 is the break out point, where you see a trend. Early front runners (1&2)can begin to fade, like the last stretch of Derby, and after that, no final 6 or 7 can have less than a good week (witness Michael Johns. Niche voters have less impact then too (e.g. Sanjaya's fan base, ditto Jason Castro).

I think voting alters a bit then, when more people tune in and don't care about back story. It's "who do I like NOW?" "Whose mug will be staring at me from magazine newstands?" "Who will I be forced to listen to?" Or "WTF with that get-up?" Judges get tougher then, too.

Unless he screws up, Kris Allen is the sleeper favorite. To paraphrase the judges, he is a total package, and seems like he would be easy to work with - his ego is not too big (take note Danny). I think Lambert may be number 2 at the end.

Posted by: MarriedMom | April 2, 2009 11:48 AM

Did anyone else notice that after Seacrest pushed poor lucky Scott over to the Safety Couch, Danny Dorky (who was sitting next to Scott's place) just sat there smugly and didn't even reach out to help Scott to find his seat? Leaving him the stand there helplessly until the camera panned away. True Christian charity from the dorky church-goer.

Felt sorry for Scott: abandoned by Seacrest on one side and Dopey Goaky on the other. No doubt he misses his former faithful tender tender: Alexis. As do I, more so every week that I watch these remaining clowns (except for Allison and Kris and sometimes Adam).

Posted by: Brookelover | April 2, 2009 11:55 AM

Yes, RedRocket - I understand that these posts express people's opinions. My post clearly expresses mine. If you are free to opine about your dislike of Allison's hair style, then I am free to call your opinion superficial, no?

Posted by: AmuseMe | April 2, 2009 11:56 AM

Scary Thought: Next week's theme will be 'Songs from the year you were born'. For most of the Idolettes, that's the period 1985-1992. That's Paula Abdul territory! Help! I'm off to buy a pair of ear plugs.

Posted by: Brookelover | April 2, 2009 12:05 PM

Is the lip-synched group sing also pretaped?

Last night, they were sitting on the couches, then Ryan gave a very brief introduction, and suddenly they were all on place on stage, including Scott all the way across the stage at the keyboard. It just seemed to me that they wouldn't have had time to get up, get in place, and be ready to sing in that short a time. So I just wondered.

Posted by: abigail394 | April 2, 2009 12:14 PM

I would PAY to see someone sing Straight Up! The image of Simon having to hold Paula back as she attempts to climb up on stage and relive her glory days is almost too much to bare! LOL!

Posted by: AmuseMe | April 2, 2009 12:15 PM

P.S. Seeing Alexis not only in the audience, but also in the taped "at home" segment, I almost wondered if they were going to announce they were adding another person (Alexis) to the tour.

Posted by: abigail394 | April 2, 2009 12:18 PM

To answer question above, yes--they have started pretaping the lip-synced group performances. All this is new for this year (the lip-syncing, the pretaping, the suckiness, etc.). They have pretaped guest performances in the past though (not all, but many).

If you read EW.com's behind the scenes column, the reporters are there for the shows and tell you who tapes when and what the in-studio audience experience is like. Those columns are almost as good as Lisa's snark-filled recaps.

Posted by: jljardon2 | April 2, 2009 12:39 PM

Trying to handicap the results ignores the power of Vote for the Worst. How do you think Sanjaya lasted so deep into the competition? I am surprised that there is not a stronger Hispanic voting block to back Allison. She really has talent, if not a pure voice. How many legitimate rock stars would get past the auditions if they were just starting out now? Not many.

Posted by: Slinger61 | April 2, 2009 12:42 PM

Thanks, jljardon2! :-)

Posted by: abigail394 | April 2, 2009 12:48 PM

Lisa, I thought the impersonations were hilarious and not nearly as cruel as you made them out to be. Okay, so maybe Gokey’s might have been intended to be a bit nasty (kinda right up his alley, isn’t it? Strategically undermining the competition while appearing a nice, fun guy—sneaky, sneaky!), but it was a pretty good impersonation. Anyway, after the 100% bad-intentioned impersonation Matt did of Adam on this one Idol Tonight interview during Top 13 Week, it was kinda like karmic retribution—the boy had it comin’. :P

Glad Megan didn’t take getting booted too hard—I think she was getting sick of the whole thing anyhow. She was definitely the right one to go b/c she sings like a yowling cat and the judges *finally* took notice of that, but she seems like a cool gal otherwise. Glad she can go home to her adorable son (and maybe start a modeling career? If nothing else, she really is dazzlingly beautiful~).

Speaking of good-looking people… why don’t people like Adam’s emo hair? It’s so stylishly cool and much more flattering for his oddly wide face than the k.d. lang look. Randomly, just have to say the eyeliner really made his beautiful eyes pop in the music vid. If he could improve his skin tone, he’d be Japanese rock star-level hot~~ *__*

Posted by: Kureno | April 2, 2009 12:53 PM

Again . . . Chill out even more, AmuseMe.

**The judges remark on the contestants' wardrobe and appearance b/c they are tasked with preparing them for the "real world" of the music industry but we (the voting public) should not be swayed by appearance.** -- your own words imply there is more to packaging a star than voice.

Sheesh --I was trying to back you and agree -- her voice didn't deserve B3 -- and offer what changes I think might help sell it better next week, and hereon.

We get it. You think any comment on a performer outside of one's inner beauty is 7th grade name calling. Aw, that's really sweet! (But naive. Maybe you've never seen People or Us on the newsstands?) When contestents look great (even Megan at times, Lil, Adam, Allison) we notice and praise it. I have. But its a two-way street to call them on it when they present poorly or look/act strange. As long as we play both sides, we are being fair. Others might call it constructive criticism (albeit, unsolicited). So what?The bigger the star the greater he/she will draw it from all sides. AI is the #1 show on TV -- hence the discourse comes with the celebrity. One needs a thick skin.

You want a radio-only contest, is that it? Well on TV and in person we, like the judges, invest our vote in the package. Voice is at the top due to the nature of the show, but there IS a longer list that includes mannerisms, tics, presentation, and . . . gulp(!) . . appearance. (see Kureno above re: Adam) Every WEEK of posts has included comments on outfits, hair, makeup, fingernail polish (see: DeMoraes, Lisa, et al. Look up "snarky" if it exists in the dictionary). Where've you been? These types of comments are just now striking you as in poor taste?

Posted by: redrocket | April 2, 2009 1:46 PM

I'd like to add that despite being in the bottom (2X's now), I think Allison has a chance to break into top 5, perhaps even 4 or 3. She consistently has had strong, confident, interesting performances despite the genre handicap of previous two weeks. I don't think she'll win AI, but I think she may be one who can become a commercial success.

As mother of a 19yr. old daughter who loves punk music, and occasionally styles herself in Alison fashion, I totally get the look, but think she can go further by keeping her unique musical edge in a more subdued manner. Keep the red hair, but wear all black. Let's face it, she would look silly styled like Megan Joy, but I could see her in a black bustier, black jeans, and outrageous high heels (red)while doing her thing.

America doesn't go for punk or biker chick, but I do think Carly Smithson improved her look and standing (I thought she was pretty) by adding a feminine quotient w/o eliminating all of her edginess. Allison's youth is an advantage. I mean really, Adam is doing well despite his outrageous stylings. I think Allison can overcome this with repeat solid performances. She needs to get the clean-up hitter spot at the end of the show, though to really help. None of this buried in the middle of the pack stuff. Her personality rocks, and if she has more air time, people are going to warm to her (over say, Danny, who I think may falter in next few weeks).

I think the judges have gotten worse this year by being wordier. With exception of Simon, Paula and Randy seem to be trying to match Kara's word count. It also seems like the contestant is a fire hydrant and the dogs are all trying to piss on it longer. So much of their advice is either silly or WRONG, but they take the sound of their own advice too seriously. To my surprise though, Randy has slightly improved. At least he now tries to be concrete by saying something other than, "Dawg - loved the vibe. You've got mad vocals."

Posted by: MarriedMom | April 2, 2009 1:58 PM

I get snark.

I respect opinions.

I find amusement in comments that poke fun at any randomly hideous outfit or styling choice.

Deal with it, darling.

Posted by: AmuseMe | April 2, 2009 3:27 PM

"I find consistent bashing of a 16-year old's physical appearance, week after week, post after post, childish."

If she wants to be a Pop Star, she's going to have to deal with it. It can be argued today that Pop Stardom is almost all looks and vocal talent is negligable at best. Have you ever heard a feed of Brittney Spears "singing" without auto-tune software? It's hilarious.

Her age is notwithstanding. In the real world of the music industry today, her looks *are* important. That's all there is to it, refusing to acknowledge that is naieve.

Remember, this isn't a singing competition. This is a competition to find a Pop Star. There is a huge difference.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 2, 2009 3:59 PM

MarriedMom - I think you and I have similar style sense. And I agree that Carly looked more feminine as the competition rolled along - and yes - I always thought she was pretty - but wearing tight pants at first had viewers focusing on her thighs. Yikes! I definitely would not want to be there and do that.

AmuseMe - the fact is that the "voting" public are hung up on appearance - so if you want to try to help these contestants, about the only thing you can do is make suggestions where you suspect that's a problem. In Allison's case, I suspect it's a problem - not for me - but for millions of voters. C'est la vie.

But I don't agree with another poster that her look (or Adam's) is "daring". I find it very very retro. Adam's "Goth" is very 1988. Allison reminded us of Cyndi Lauper - and that's also very 1980s - and even Cyndi Lauper doesn't have that look any more. She is "quirky" without literally "wearing it" any more - and I think that's all we're suggesting that Allison might try. In point of fact, when you choose to dress and make up that way - you are the one making your looks an "issue".

Remember Bjork in that dead swan thing? And what about Madame GAGA or whatever her name was. If you only heard that track and never saw any of it - would you think about it twice? So now you're thinking about it - but perhaps not in such a positive way . . . .

It's like anything else - orientation or whatever - if you are constantly talking about it, doing it, wearing it, etc. YOU call attention to yourself - and the downside may be that some of that attention is not so positive. That's all we're saying. Eliminate the discussion by eliminating the distraction.

Posted by: jqw3827 | April 2, 2009 5:35 PM

Give the recording contract already to Adam and forget the rest of the season. Love him or hate him, he'll win.

Posted by: AmericanIdolHoopla | April 2, 2009 6:51 PM

MarriedMom: Allison HAS had the prime spot at the end, and near the end, of the show more than once and it doesn't help. She is a one-note with a gravelly voice. If she wasn't 16, no one would even notice her.

But I'll say it again and try not to sound bashing -- I don't want AmuseMe to choke on her dentures again -- Allison is impossible to relate to. It is clear that her parents saw this amazing talent when she was very young and took her away from her peer group to exploit her "guaranteed" stardom. Her look is dated and it shouldn't be because #1) she is only 16 years old!! and #2) she should have had peers around her to help her figure out what is cool. Instead she has these parents schlepping her around to talent shows and store openings and car dealership promotions and county fairs... Which not only breeds an air of entitlement that I think comes across as loud as Danny Gokey's does, but it makes her seem like she is polishing a theatrical effort instead of developing her own genuine personality. She even tries to generate a Miss America "Thank you so much" smile that doesn't work on her 16 year old face.

And if you want snark, let me just say that Kelly Clarkson is not the second coming. She looked like a fat lesbian on Saturday Night Live a few weeks ago. You want to cry for someone, cry for that sad state of affairs!!

Have all the stylists been laid off this year???

Posted by: a68comeback | April 3, 2009 10:53 AM

My 2 cents on Allison's fashion disasters.

Allison tones down her look on the results nights to "16 year old rocker" and it carries well. But she's had at least two fashion disasters on performance night and it seems to correlate with her two dips into the bottom-3. Perhaps she should dial back the punk look on performance nights and maybe she'll get the recognition that she deserves. She can punk it up on results night when the less-approving population isn't voting.

And for amuseme, part of the preparation for being the American Idol is knowing how the public will react to all facets of a performer, their lives and their style or image. Look at the reactions Miley Cyrus has gotten over her photo expose or the Jonas Brothers over the Asian eye insult or Brittany over her fashion, mental checkout and loss of child custody...and all of these things have had an effect on the bottom line: how popular the entertainers are, how well their albums sell and how well their tickets sell, e.g. their marketability. This is obviously major for 19E and AI.

Posted by: DadWannaBe | April 3, 2009 11:55 AM

did anyone notice the difference of Adam Lambert's ending.(04/07/09) We recorded american idol and noticed a big difference in the ending of his song and the ending of it during the recap.
WAS THERE PITCH CORRECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!
has american idol gone too far? can they make it any more obvious who they want to be the next idol winner. show some integrity fox!!!
WAKE UP AMERICA