Lisa's Favorite Sites

"American Idol" Rocks On

The "American Idol" set is cursed on Rocker Week, show host Ryan Seacrest says at the top of Tuesday's show.

'Idol's' Adam Lambert. (Ray Mickshaw -- Fox)

First they had an accident on the stage. According to TMZ, the Staircase to Paradise -- it retracts after Seacrest descends it at the start of each show -- retracted too soon during rehearsal and injured the stage manager who was following Seacrest down the stairs, presumably holding his train.

Then, Seacrest tells viewers at home, one of the stage's American Idol Towers collapsed at the top during rehearsal; Seacrest points out the Leaning Tower of Idol.

Idolette Adam Lambert will be tonight's first performer. Adam has chosen to sing Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love." Tonight's mentor, Slash -- aka Saul Hudson, Guns N' Roses's lead guitarist -- notes Adam has "got some pipes....and so much range and it comes to him so effortlessly."

Slash gives Lambert the best advice any mentor has ever given him: "Maybe just don't improvise so much in the high register." This is rocker-speak for "enough with the screaming!" Which, while a surprising pointer from a heavy metal guitarist, is what we've been praying all season someone would whisper in Adam's ear. Because Slash is, as Adam says, a "rock god," he takes the advice, pleasantly surprising millions of "Idol" viewers.

We go back and listen to the original on YouTube. Adam's better -- better tone. And who but Adam would have the guts to go up against Led Zeppelin and not rethink the tune, but straight ahead cover it like the original. Adam is fearless.

All the Idolettes are dressed in heavy rocker gear tonight -- rocker is apparently the most heavily costumed music genre ever. For his opening number, Adam is decked out in a studded black leather jacket, gobs of silver chains around his neck and he's upped the eyeliner about 50 percent -- only now it's heavy-metal eyeliner. The judges are getting into the spirit, too -- Randy Jackson has chosen a sequined T-shirt and 60's love beads, and Kara DioGuardi is wearing something from the Mad Max collection. Paula has gone with some very low cut number and Simon has chosen his grey T-shirt.

"Nobody gonna ever think about 'Broadway' or any of that stuff...you are a rock star waiting to happen!" roars judge Randy Jackson after Adam's performance.

"You're more than a rock star -- you are a rock god! It's your night -- kill it! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!" judge Kara DioGuardi screams orgasmically.

"You're a whole lotta perfect," adds Paula Abdul, a little weakly we think.

"The only problem is, nobody can top that now," judge Simon Cowell observes. He is, of course, absolutely right.

Allison Iraheta tells Seacrest excitedly that she has gone to Adam's hairstylist. "She's been doing his hair for, like, two years!" Allison gushes. Adam is generous in addition to talented. We try to get the picture of Adam and Allison, side by side under the hair dryers, dishing about Danny Gokey and Kris Allen, out of our head.

Slash notes that while Allison has got all the rock-and-roll mannerisms down, she has to get past "the fear part." But Allison, performing "Cry Baby," is in way over her head going up against Janis Joplin -- she's short several tanker loads of whiskey and one tortured life. Allison's dressed in a black T-shirt, black jeans, and black spike-heeled pirate boots. RanKara does not like it, but Paula thinks if they ever do a biopic on Janis Joplin, Allison's a slam dunk to get the role. Didn't Bette Midler already do that one?

Simon says it's "staggering" how far Allison has come in this competition considering she's only 17, but she's not up to this tune, and she should have gone with her first song choice: Queen's "Somebody to Love." Allison corrects him, saying it's Jefferson Airplane's "Somebody to Love." You and I are mature enough to know there are enough "Somebody to Love's" for both Queen and Jefferson Airplane. Simon, however, turns on Allison for correcting him, snapping "Just beg" as in: "You are not going to survive the voting this week, girlie!" But it's Tongues Untied Night for Allison, who finally goes after Simon, and we get a sudden flash of her 20 years into the future, and now a cast member on "The View." Allison wraps up her Simon tear with, "You're always saying I don't talk enough, so maybe I should just talk a lot!" and throws her arms up in the air.

The "Idol" producers have decided Rocker Week is the perfect week to starting having the Idolettes sing duets. No, I can't explain it.

Duet No. 1: Styx's "Renegade" as sung by Kris Allen and Danny Gokey. Their harmonizing is heavily covered by the backup singers, but Randy singles it out for praise anyway. You could have run their performance on a split screen, the two were so not-connected. Kara and Paula don't quite know what to say, and Simon pronounces Danny better than Kris, but with no enthusiasm -- like some producer told him he had to pick a winner.

Kris now gets to perform alone. He's chosen the Beatles "Come Together" after deciding against his first choice, "Revolution."

Kris says it was so amazing meeting Slash he nearly wet his pants. Slash confirms that when he loaned Kris his guitar "that made him a little nervous." Slash tells Kris he can't actually have his guitar. Slash also tells Kris if he can manage to pick up the actual live-performance part of the number "that will help," but without any real conviction.

The performance lyrics include: "He shoot coca-cola" and while we confess we've never known exactly what that line means for sure, if it's some kind of anti-product placement, we're all for it.

Kris ignores Slash's advice, except to clap his hands over his head once and tap one foot a few times. Big mistake. RanKara doesn't love his performance; Paula says it had his "signature all over it" and that he's an artist who deserves to be here -- guess she hated it. Simon says it was "rather like eating ice for lunch." Hey, smarty pants -- who's reading prepared remarks now?

Danny Gokey has decided to sing Aerosmith's "Dream On." Slash -- who is by now my favorite "Idol" mentor of all time -- notes Danny is "naturally gifted" but has picked a tough song and seems skeptical about Danny pulling off the tune's Big Finish. "It's really going to depend on the moment -- it could go either way," Slash smirks.

Danny's dressed like a regular on "The Lawrence Welk Show": pinstriped pants and vest, and a purple shirt. You can almost see what's going on in his head as he performs: "Scream coming up next; gotta get ready for the scream; gotta get into kneeling position for the scream. Scream!"

Simon notes, correctly, it was like watching a horror movie. The other judges don't think much better of it, but they give him an A+ anyway -- for "effort," which reminds me of when my nephew went to summer camp and the counselors, who were determined to give every child a prize for something, finally came up with a prize for Best Bed-Making to give to little Wes.

Danny is, once again, dismissive of the judges, who were actually too kind to him, saying he'll have to go back and listen to his performance because "they could be right" but "I don't think it was as bad as they said it was."

And, finally, it's time for Rocker Duet No. 2. It's Allison and Adam -- the hair buddies! We think they may be wearing matching nail polish too. Allison is in a black rocker-tutu and army boots; Adam has added a few more chains and some padlocks to his neck wear. Allison and Adam sing Foghat's "Slow Ride" and they look like they actually want to sing together, unlike Danny and Kris, who just shared a stage. The "Idol" fraudience seems genuinely stirred by their performance. Rankarapau loves it; Simon thinks Adam may have given "this one" (that's Allison) a chance at staying in the competition this week, their performance together was that good.

"She's like my little sister," Adam says. This has been a real image-boosting night for Adam. Besides the singing -- he's a mensch. And, of course, it was a breakthrough night for Allison what with her Simon-baiting -- a proven popularity builder, based on past seasons.

By Lisa de Moraes  |  May 6, 2009; 8:24 AM ET
Categories:  "American Idol"
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NBC Pickups Announced
Next: "American Idol" Top 3 Unveiled

Comments

1) +1 on Slash being the best Idol mentor ever.

2) Adam including the "every inch..." line from the Zep song goes down in my book as probably the greatest (maybe only) subversive Idol moment ever.

Posted by: wp11239 | May 6, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm....I thought Allison handled that song pretty well...light years better than either Danny or Kris.

Whatever made Danny Dorky think he could handle that song? Big mistake!! But he'll survive, because he's Danny and he has a following. The church music people seem to like him.

Kris should not survive after that debacle. It was a total disaster. Go home, Kris...go home.

Allison is a real talent, but she doesn't seem to be doing well on the DialIdol predictions. Alas, a finale between her and Adam would have paid off big.

I've grown weary of Adam. He's just too much about the spectacle. His screaming has become tiresome.

Allison is all about the music. She's a real talent and deserves to be heard.

Posted by: Sacqueboutier | May 6, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I'm not an Adam fan (distracted by guy-liner), but last night could see that he can sing tough songs, and he finally came across as a nice guy. Allison was good, just lacked the Joplin anguish, as Lisa pointed out. Danny was painful and embarassing - clearly can't "sing the phone book".

Posted by: kirstenpaulson | May 6, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

“ …and injured the stage manager who was following Seacrest down the stairs, presumably holding his train.”

Pookie, you make my day. I choked on my coffee when I read that, I laughed so hard.

I don’t think I ever knew that Slash’s real name was Saul Hudson. Explains a lot.

Danny’s scream at the end? Made my dog howl.

Posted by: jpstang | May 6, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Was that Lisa holding the "Simon Cowell King of Common Sense" sign?

Posted by: molsonmich | May 6, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Lisa, you missed the biggest blunder of the night! Kara completely ruined any shred of music cred she had when she said Danny should have done earlier Aerosmith. "Dream On" was about as early as it comes, while her suggestions were almost 20 years later. Now thinking about it, maybe she meant to say "later", but the fact that even Simon or Randy didn't butt in and correct her pissed me off even more. Pathetic.

I have trouble understanding how anyone could like Adam's performance. I don't like the tone of his wail, so it did not work for me here. It was another '80s hair band performance for a song that is well above the level hair bands are on. I'd much prefer he ruin Queen than Zeppelin.

Adam reminds me of that Norman Gentle act. You know the guy has potential to sing restrained and great, but he can't resist to glam (or ham) it up.

I actually liked Kris's performance. Were the judges trashing him to get him more votes? He's got more staying potential than Adam, who will wear on you after awhile.

Now back to Danny. He picked the wrong song. Two notes into the practice with Slash I called it. Not only is it not his style, that scream was vomit-inducing. Horror flick indeed. The judges "A" for effort, aka. The Gokey Pass, just sickens me. Rip him up when he pulls crap like that!

Allison. Meh. She was better than Danny and Adam, but because she talked back to the judges, I'm picking her to go. You can't beat the trend.
Though I want Danny or Adam to go.

Posted by: MaltyCharacter | May 6, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

One more thing....

3) Can we ditch the schmaltzy "Rat Pack", stupid "Disco" and lame "What's Being downloaded on iTunes" weeks for more stuff like this? Keep "Country", keep "Motown", but let's get some more rock into the show.

Posted by: wp11239 | May 6, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Wow... Wow.. Who knew that under that big black cloud of poodle hair there was an intelligent, well-spoken human??? I also vote for Slash as being the best Idol mentor, EVAH!

Ok, I'll irk a few of you here but

ADAM ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been luke warm in the past on him but last night was amazing. No one else besides Led Zepplin themselves could pull that off. I'm declaring him winner today. What control. I am very impressed. I think some credit goes to Slash for the advice he gave and I'm amazed that Adam followed it. Made all the difference in the world.

Agree that the song was not right for Allison but I thought she sang it well. Loved, underline, loved, the hair.

Danny and Kris did not look like they even liked each other and that came out in their music. Neither one of them even looked like a rocker. They were both dressed for casual Friday. Kris was ok, I agreed with Randy on him. He was great but I enjoyed it.

Danny was horrible. Dream On Danny if you think you can sing this song. Horrible. I hope he goes home tonight, I've had enough of him.

Posted by: hodie | May 6, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Allison and Adam's hug at the end of their duet was the most genuine moment I've seen on Idol.

Touching.

Posted by: mstaines | May 6, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

It is amazing how dreadful Adam is. Sure he can sing, but he is just ridiculous. If I walked into a bar or club and Adam was fronting a band, I would laugh. He has zero credibility and is a complete and total phony. Where Robert Plant made that song sexy and alive, Adam makes it laughable.

Allison was fine. Danny was atrocious.

Kris gave my favorite performance. It felt the most authentic out of the bunch. I am surprised nobody mentioned how enraged he was after the Kris/Danny duet; the comments from the judges, especially Simon, obviously angered him greatly. I told my wife "That kid is FURIOUS."

The judges, what to say, I have no clue what they are watching. Simon is fine...Paula doesn't rate. Kara is in a gots-to-go situation. Her comment about Aerosmith and doing an older song...huh? Randy suggesting Slash and Adam making a record together...I am positive that is tops on Slash's list of to-dos. Everyone gets on Simon about being mean, but if you listen carefully to Randy and Kara, they are far crueler. They mask it by smiling or making a joke. Simon just tells it like it is.

Posted by: Handsome_John_Pruitt | May 6, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I think when Ryan reminded us that Danny hasn't yet been in the bottom 3, it was to prepare us for the fact that he will be in the bottom 2 tonight...along with Allison.

I wish she'd sung a Cure song and that Danny had gone with a Prince song. Ah well.

Isn't the top 4 usually when they start singing two songs? I think the duet definitely helped Allison more than it did either Kris or Danny. But I guess they didn't want to go over time, and since they wanted to include the Slash segments, 2 duets was the only way to fill the time.

Posted by: SheldonAlexandria | May 6, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I didn't watch the show last night as usual; but sure wouldn't miss Lisa's recap and the commentors, umm, comments. Love it!

I heard yesterday that Simon said Kara will be back next year. Too bad.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | May 6, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Adam totally rocked it... stage presence, vocals, song choice, attitude. If you had to pick one person from the final 4 to step in now and front GnR (or any band) then Adam is the only one.
The rest are not even close to being able to do a sound check with Kenny Rogers.

Kris has lucked out w/ good song choices (but is about as vocally gifted as Matt was).
Allison is sooooo under pitch every week.
Danny...well he has gotten the dead wife pass every week...enough! Under pitch, out-of-tune, no stage presence, hack. Should've left weeks ago.

Posted by: cdiasmd | May 6, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Adam's great. Danny's good. Allison's ok. Kris - go home cutie pie.

Posted by: MILW | May 6, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Staircase to Paradise? Hmmm. If we subscribe to the traditional imagery of heavenly matters, we would think of someone ascending to paradise. It is perhaps interesting, then, that we never see anyone going up the stairs. Yet Ryan reguarly comes down them, suggesting that he may be even more perfectly formed and special than many of us already believe him to be. So, going with the train-carrying producer when the job-description actually calls for an angel host could be taken as a sign of divine modesty on Ryan's part.

Alternatively, if we reverse the traditional thinking and consider the possibility that one can descend to paradise, that would make the Idol stage and its surroundings heaven! The fact that Kara is in paradise would seem to offer a definitive answer to the Golden Girls of the West's poignant statement of the faith and doubt that intetwine at the core of the relgious sensibility - "Will there be any yodelling in heaven?" At the same time, Kara's presence suggests that eternity may be even longer than we thought. So much to ponder.

Posted by: watchingIdolbecauseIhaveto | May 6, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

watchingIdolbecauseIhaveto - can I have some of whatever you're smoking? that must be some good ish 'cause I have clue NONE to what you said. ;-)

Posted by: topwomanexec | May 6, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I really didn't love ANY of the song choices last night.

I'm not irked if anybody like Adam's performance, but to me, he is at best, Robert Plant Lite - and I have to disagree with Lisa that his cover was better than the original. He really doesn't have street cred - and no way would I believe I'm the target audience for every inch of his love.

I could have seen him doing "Stairway to Heaven" - but - oops - he already did the stairway.

I thought Kris would fare worst of the four, and his biggest problem to me was the recent reminder of Carly Smithson's very muscular performance of "Come Together" - which I thought terrific. Never mind the stage performance, I just don't think Kris' voice has that musculature.

If he wanted to sing the Beatles, he might have done much better with the softer "Michelle" or "Julia". Just because it's rock night didn't mean they had to go all metal all over us.

Which leads me to Danny. Oh brother. He, too, can carry off the muscular blusey stuff - but why try to compete on the screamometer. Why? Why?

I could have so heard him singing something like Blood Sweat & Tears "Spinning Wheel" - or - don't laugh - when watching "Dancing With the Stars" recently (my other reality indulgence) they used "I'm Your Vehicle" (Ides of March) and I immediately thought, "Oh, I could SO hear Danny Gokey sing that."

Lastly, to the young lady whose been my personal choice all along - Allison. I have to agree with the judges that she'd have shown herself in better light by choosing something more melodic. I'd suggested Melissa Etheridge's "I'm the Only One". But I think Grace Slick's "Somebody to Love" would have also been better and didn't understand her explanation of why she nixed the idea.

She might have also done with with a cover of Linda Ronstadt - maybe "When Will I Be Loved?"

PS "He shoot coca-cola" means "He shoots up cocaine".

Posted by: jqw3827 | May 6, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

"The church music people seem to like him."
- Sacqueboutier

Posted by: ILoveToSinga | May 6, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

My theory: The duets were there because it was past time for Adam to lead off the show, but the producers wanted to keep viewers tuned in, so they had to think up a way to get him to perform a second time at the end of the show.

@wp11239: +1 on the "every inch of my love" line...and as an added bonus, Adam included the "slow down / go down" line from "Slow Ride". Heh. Someone at Standards & Practices was napping.

Posted by: EdTheRed | May 6, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Adam: A. Alison: A-. Chris: C-. Dorky: sub F-.

If Adam is the star of the Rocky Horror Show, then Danny Dorky is just a Horror Show, period. Dorky's 'performance' was a painfully long buildup to that ultimate train wreck of the Dreaded Death Scream at the end. It was as truly horrible as I was hoping for. My dog actually ran out of the room to escape the audio carnage.

Should be bye-bye Danny tonight. But probably Chris will go instead. If Dorky doesn't land in the Bottom 2, this show is utterly hopeless.

Posted by: Brookelover | May 6, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

As much as I love Danny, that truly was horrendous last night. Perhaps he was trying to show musical bravery by picking such a diff song to sing, but it backfired terribly. I'm hoping the big picture will keep him in and not just last night's performance, but Danny, we hardly knew ye. Maybe shoulda done "Whippin' Post" or something like that. :(

Posted by: ILoveToSinga | May 6, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I am so amused to see that the Danny-lovers are trying to defend his performance last night. Come on, people! Bad is bad. Ain't no way around it. You can like Danny all you want but you can NOT claim that that performance was good, decent, or even passable. It was H-to-the-O-to-the-DoubleR-HORRIIBLE!

I thought the duet btw Adam and Allison proved beyond a doubt that those are the two with the most talent. It should be a prelude to the final. However, I think at this stage in the game everyone has a favorite and nobody votes based on individual performances anymore b/c we are all (myself included!) just hoping to get our personal choice into the Final Two. So, based on previous popularity, I am betting Allison will go...even though I find her to be so talented that it makes me cringe to know that she will not win.

Posted by: AmuseMe | May 6, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

"...the Staircase to Paradise -- it retracts after Seacrest descends it at the start of each show -- retracted too soon during rehearsal and injured the stage manager who was following Seacrest down the stairs, presumably holding his train."

Lisa, if the WaPo manages to survive these crazy, mixed-up times in which we live, it'll be because of writing like this. You're the best.

Posted by: Regis09 | May 6, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

To Ilovetosinga,

"Sack, I sing in the church choir. It's pretty awesome, actually. I do, indeed, like Danny. And I hope he's in the Final 3, based on his body of work throughout the season. But I also love rock, as I love many musical genres, rewatched and cranked way up the decibel level during Adam's performance last night, have had a decades-long crush on Robert Plant, and suggest you might want to lose the tendency to categorize people. One more thing you should know...God loves you."

Hey, ILoveToSinga! So do I. Yeah, I sing in the church choir, too. I really do, and I love it.

Being a little defensive here? You read waaaaay too much into my statement. It wasn't meant to be derogatory towards church music people.

That said, Danny does have their support. It's a fact. You're one of them, as you admit. Danny is a church music guy, so of course he would garner their support. Add to that the sympathy factor of losing his wife, and there you have it.

I think Allison is the best singer on that stage, while Adam is absolutely the most versatile.

As for supporting Adam, I think, judging from my conversations with many friends in the Bible Belt, that you are not in the mainstream. Most church music people in middle America are kinda creeped out by Adam. Their support goes to Danny.

As for me, I think he's a one-note Johnny. No range, as he proved last night. Dreadful.

BTW, you're last line was awfully condescending. That kind of stuff does the mission more harm than good.

Posted by: Sacqueboutier | May 6, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Danny was awful last night. I'm listening to my ipod as I type this and Journey's Separate Ways comes on and he could have easily done this song instead of trying to tackle Dream On. I guess there's a little irony in his song choice.

Posted by: 33spartan | May 6, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I have read everything I can find online about the late Mrs. Gokey, and nowhere do I find a cause of death for the poor woman. That leads me to one of two conclusions: suicide or drug overdose. Why else would cause of death be excluded from the stories? If I had to listen to Danny Dorkey sing on a regular basis I would kill myself or retreat into a drug-addled state.

Posted by: Slinger61 | May 6, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I've always thought Adam was talented and a really nice kid, but didn't care for his over-the-top theatrics. Last night, though, I thought he was really, really good. His Elvis and Liberace impersonations were big distractions for me, just hated them. But put this kid in with the rockers -- and he's got something. With his flair for drama and his voice, I might -- MIGHT -- buy his CD -- IF they go in that direction with him.

I thought Allison was just fine. She's not Janis, and she's not Bette, but I thought that she did very well.

Kris has been my fave this season, but that was not so great last night. But, he's not a rocker. Still, I would like to have seen him do something with the Stones' "Angie" rather than try, and fail, to do something edgy. He'll probably go tonight.

Danny -- sheesh. That was really, really bad. He seems to think that quality rock means screaming. No, Danny, that's what the "bad" rockers who can't sing do, they scream (think Tommy what's-his-name who was married to the blonde chick with the big shoes, Pam something?). Apparently Danny can't hear the difference between screaming and controlling. No matter. Unless Allison screws up big time, I think dude will be gone next week.

Which puts Adam and Allison in the finals, and Adam wins.

Funny. At the beginning of the season I think there were pretty high odds that the Gokester would win it. Who knew that this fine church-goin' fella would go to such extremes to try to gain money and fame by using his deceased wife? Back to Sunday School choir, big boy, and, oh yeah, maybe take a Sunday School class or two.

Posted by: lanehatcher | May 6, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey Slinger61, she died of heart failure.

Next time, try Googling before attempting to be witty. You come off as an insensitive moron.

Posted by: AmuseMe | May 6, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I so want tonight's group-sing to be a B-52s number, but I probably won't get my wish. They rock, right? R.E.M.? Why get my hopes up? It'll probably be something cheesy.

Posted by: SheldonAlexandria | May 6, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Slinger61 | May 6, 2009 12:55 PM

Slinger, when they did the piece in the beginning of this season during tryouts about Danny and his wife, they said she died of a congenital heart problem. She was not able to get a transplant in time to save her.

Posted by: hodie | May 6, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

" ... while Adam is absolutely the most versatile." (Sacqueboutier @ 12:29 PM)

Hmmm. I would have pegged him to be more of a bottom.

Posted by: jpstang | May 6, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

The rumor mill has it that the stage manager fell about 20 feet when the steps retracted and was taken to the hospital. That and the cleanup from the tower collapse took up the rehearsal time. Apparently there were several other people injured with minor injuries, but only the stage manager needed to be rushed to the hospital.

Slinger61--When I entered "Sophie Gokey" into Google, the first hit came up with:

"Tragically, at age 27 Sophie Gokey died duriing surgery in July 2008. She had a congenital heart condition."

so there is no need to create more incorrect gossip and rumor to suggest drugs or suicide or anything else.

Last, I agree with AmuseMe that at this point people are voting more for their favorites and based on the performance history of each individual than for any given performance. Adam, Danny and Kris all have a huge following and are probably going to be safe. Allison has never caught on big except with the rocker crowd and they've abandoned her this week to ensure that they don't have another Glambert bottom-2 debacle. Various web-sites have posted that the Glamberts want to void "vote splitting" and are lobbying for only voting for Adam, so Allison is being left high and dry. Even those DI isn't quite as accurate this season as in former seasons, Allison is dead last. The only one close to her is Kris and he has historically beat the DI odds by collecting a dominant number of the text votes. His fan base skews young and they prefer to text than to call. For me, I can understand as I find Allison boring. She's talented, but much like many previous season rocker chicks (Amanda Overmeyer, Carly Smithson, Gina Glocksen, etc) she's very limited in style. Everything (except the classic "Someone to Watch Over Me") comes out sounding the same and for those who are not huge rock fans, she's boring. And we know that the AI audience pool does not lean that way in general, so she's out of luck. I don't think it will be close for her.

Posted by: DadWannaBe | May 6, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

The only thing you're slinging, Slinger, is mud. And you are a very poor researcher.

If you simply Google "Danny Gokey's wife", the first hit you'll get is an article in The Post Chronicle to the effect that the young woman passed away during surgery.

I take it from the tone of your post that you meant it to be "cute" - but it isn't, nor is it funny - or factually accurate.

I do think that too much of this (and some other contestants' back stories) was pimped by the producers of AI - but you can't blame the contestants for it - because once they sign on - they are "packaged". And if they didn't agree to it, they couldn't participate.

And as to Sacqueboutier's comments - I understand that Danny Gokey is a choir director - I'm not sure what a "church music guy" or "church music people" who live in "Middle America" really are except apparent euphemisms for "conservative Christians." My own experience is that "conservative Christians" don't come one-size-fits-all.

Beware the sweeping generalization. Church musicians are very often highly trained (in music, I mean), not necessarily, by definition, politically conservative - and not even necessarily found exclusively in Christian churches. Both cantors and muezzins are religious musicians - though they are found in temples and mosques, respectively.

I am also fairly sure that people "creeped out" by a rather flamboyant gay performer can be found in any number of major cities in America - including New York, Chicago or even Washington DC! No geographic segment of the US holds a monopoly on feeling threatened by those perceived to be quite different (or Other) than they are. Anyone anywhere anytime can be that insecure.

Posted by: jqw3827 | May 6, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Sheldon - "Love Shack" and I'm standing up with Paula dancing.

Posted by: jqw3827 | May 6, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I can't say I've watched too much this year, but it seemed the trend in the last few weeks was for the idol people not to sing the original versions of the songs...to make them their own or express their star power or some cr*p like that...is that over - are they back to covers?

I was also confused about how Adam (which dude totally should gave sung sweet child of man instead) got props for his own take on zepplin...b/c it sounded pretty much exactly the same as the original...and the idea that anyone thought his performance was better than the original (the dude is definitely good) just shows how pathetic what passes for "rock" is these days.

and the other people i just don;t have time for...

Posted by: ballgame | May 6, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Slinger61: How did Gokey "use" his wife? If he couldn't carry himself by singing, he would have been voted off very early. I'm no Danny fan but its wrong when criticism reaches beyond the performance to ad hominem attacks. That said, his performance last night was disappointing.

I love Allison, but does anyone else agree that she tends to have a low ceiling for those moments when she coulda-shoulda reached a bit higher? She'll still be #2 and go on to great things. Kudos to her for standing up to Simon.

Adam continues to surprise and amaze. No surprise when he becomes the next Idol.

Posted by: itsmyparty | May 6, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

P.S. to jqw3827, SheldonAlexandria et. al. - the Post Express says Gwen Stefani and No Doubt "rock like it's 1995" on tonight's AI (pg 33).

Our hopes are dashed for the B-52s. Sorry.

Posted by: jpstang | May 6, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Itsmyparty - I agree that Allison has seemingly missed some golden opportunities to knock a homer right out of the park - but I attribute that to her youth & the apparent lack of behind-scenes mentoring/coaching and other resources that she doesn't seem to get from the producers.

All those resources have apparently been poured into Adam - including the f/x, etc. It's really nice that he shared his hairdresser - because the stylists on this show also apparently just never got into her or really "behind" her. None of that, I think is her "fault".

So she's 17 - I remember another season when an awful lot of tout went into an equally young contestant who, in my own opinion, didn't seem nearly as naturally talented as Allison does.

Maybe the feeling is that at 27 it's Adam's last real "chance" to make it whereas Allison will do well regardless. In other words, she has little to lose and he has everything to gain.

I still don't think that's totally fair to her - but makes it slightly more "understandable".

If Clive Davis is putting songs on them and isn't ordered to give her 2nd best or 2nd choice by the producers - that's really her last chance on this show to totally knock everyone dead.

Posted by: jqw3827 | May 6, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

LOL about the haunting of AI set. Ryan doesn't see the irony. Apparently the Phantom of AI wants him dead. Too much ego, too little talent, too much interference with show.

Just gotta say up front, I think there ought to be a "Watch AI" get together for remaining weeks for this blog, at say, an Arlington,VA sports bar-type venue. Ideas, anyone? Pookie, I know you can't come, but perhaps your compadre could join us.

Slash - fabulous mentor and spot-on. My 14 yr. old son even bothered to watch just to see/hear Slash. He loved him.

I ditto hodie's comments. My attitude toward Adam has been distanced respect because I worry when the guys wear more eyeliner and mascara than me. But I think he has earned the crown on so many levels, though I also heart after Allison and Kris. But hey, hodie, don't slander poodles. My black standard poodle Conan objects to the stereotype, so I have dubbed him "Slash."

SORRY, while I appreciate Danny's voice, last night completely killed him for me. WRONG SONG choice, very narcissistic on his part. But that's his problem: exaggerated ego. I'm appalled that the judges keep giving him the Gokey pass - I'm not generally suspicious, but now I wonder if AI producers are pulling strings bigtime. I agree with jqw3827 that Blood, Sweat, and Tears would have been a better source for him.

I like Kris, and I don't think he was as bad as comments conveyed. I hate that particular Beatles' song, but he actually improved it for me because of his voice. Why didn't he get an A-plus from the judges for effort? He clearly had the furthest distance to go stylistically on Rock night. John Lennon was a great songwriter but a weak vocalist. I mean, I didn't like David Archuleta, but thought his cover of Imagine improved on Lennon. Yeah, that maybe heresy to some of you, but I say this as a devout Beatles fan from the age of 11, when they first rocked the U.S. (1964).

I want Gokey to go. I hate to offend you posters who are so thoughtful in your comments, but IMHO,the guy is shamelessly arrogant, especially in contrast to his fellow idolettes.

Posted by: MarriedMom | May 6, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

"We try to get the picture of Adam and Allison, side by side under the hair dryers, dishing about Danny Gokey and Kris Allen, out of our head."

LoL, that’s actually a really cute image, Lisa~ “Rock siblings,” huh? Too cute~~!! :D

And I completely agree about Kris and Danny—you could actually see Kris edging away from Danny after the evaluation, when Danny came over and put his arm around him to try to play the “buddy-buddy” angle onstage after backstabbing Kris backstage. What backstabbing, you ask? Note the duet song choice and Kris's halfhearted comment about it? It was great for Danny’s range, I noticed, not as much for Kris's. I *wonder* who whined and fussed until he got his song choice for the duet, and who had to just be the bigger man and give in so they’d have *something* to perform… Poor Kris. Totally thrown under the bus—little wonder they have zero chemistry during their duet. T_T

But as sad as I am for Kris, I’m thrilled they gave Allison the Adam duet—those two seriously burned up the stage!! Incredible chemistry—Allison really fed off of Adam’s energy and just came to life like I’ve never seen her on Idol. Truly fantastic, and I do hope Simon’s right about this saving her. I want Kris to stay too (poor guy—you can tell he’s a good friend of Adam’s so I’m sure he felt ripped off losing the duet with him and getting stuck with Gokey-zilla)… how incredible would it be if we could finally get rid of Gokey as he deserves?

Speaking of which—WOW, was that performance the greatest epic fail on Idol ever or what? I see why he picked “Dream On” (the “sing for me, sing for me here” part where his preacher’s roar can leap out), but OMG that screaming at the end??? Dude… first of all, Steven Tyler songs are as untouchable as Whitney Houston songs—if you can’t scream, don’t even try! Or at least be creative like Cook last year and change the arrangement so we don’t miss the omitted scream too much. Because it’s a foregone conclusion that you MUST remove the scream unless you’re completely suicidal (or Adam, who actually has the range). BUT… Gokey went for the screaming?! Is he insane?! As my sister said, it was like "a thousand cats screaming in different keys.” Wow. Just… @____@;;;;;

Well, VFTW is rejoicing that their candidate put on such a horrific performance, and I guess the Gokey Squad’s infamous tone-deafness will keep them on board but… I sure hope everyone else in America will gobsmack that horrible performance and kick Danny off here and now as he deserves. @___@;;;;;

Posted by: Kureno | May 6, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

jqw3827 - you're right - the producers "pimped" the back stories. The only time any of the back stories are brought up consistently is in this group of posters and always about Danny's wife and, for the most part, very nasty comments. I'm sure you're all very proud of your so called wit.

Posted by: MILW | May 6, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

jpstang, I think you misunderstood me. Don't the remaining Idolettes sing a group number each week? I was hoping they, not the guest artists, would sing something by B-52s or R.E.M.

Posted by: SheldonAlexandria | May 6, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Mom - last year someone suggested we actually get together somehow to watch the show but we never pursued it.

I don't go to sports bars - would they "allow" us to put AI on the big screen???!!! There are a couple near Courthouse metro - and yes - I live in Arlington!

Would Lisa come, too?

PS Some former Idolettes were interviewed on the Entertainment Weekly blog about the Final 4 and Michael Johns said something to the effect that there was only one Queen (i.e., Freddy Mercury) but he could imagine Adam doing the Scissor Sisters. OMG - I don't know whether he meant that to be a cut (pun fully intended) - but in fact, I have loved what I've seen/heard of the Scissor Sisters I think fun/camp/upbeat "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'" would be very believable and more contemporary.

Posted by: jqw3827 | May 6, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

ballpark, you must have misheard. It is sometimes hard to understand their comments when they are bickering amongst themselves at the same time. The judges actually gave props to Adam because he DIDN'T change up the song and sang it as the original and he still rocked it. They mentinoned the guts it took to do that with Led Zepplin. I think this is the first song he didn't put through the broadway coverter and it worked for me.

Posted by: hodie | May 6, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I am a big Adam Lambert fan. I thought his performance this week was good not great. The song choice was poor. Going up against Robert Plant in rocker week is the equivalent of going up against Whitney or Mariah in pop week.

I liked Allison's performance. I thought it was the best individual performance of the night. I should note that I didn't recognize the song. Not hearing the original song, I am blissfully ignorant of a better version. That may be why I liked it better than most.

Danny and Kris's duet was simply awful. They were pitchy the entire song. I was shocked how lenient the judging was - perhaps another instance of the Gokey curve. Normally that kind of performance is called a train wreck.

Danny's individual performance was awful too. The judges were rather lenient, claiming it wasn't Danny's genre. I disagree. I think Danny has the voice to be a decent rocker. He just gave a bad performance. Also, Lil was criticized heavily for arguing with the judges. At least with Lil, she underwent several weeks of bad reviews before she started arguing back. Danny gets lightly criticized and he already starts snapping. I think his ego needs a little adjustment. Humility would serve him well.

Kris was bad too, although I thought he was better than Danny. Kris and band were not in sync, probably due to the lack of a dress rehearsal.

Allison and Adam's duet was my favorite performance of the night. Allison really came out of her shell.

Posted by: niceshoes1 | May 6, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

So, I think that this season is going to be similar to Season 6. Some may recall that in Season 6, we had the battle of the divas where Jordin Sparks, Melinda Doolittle and Lakisha Jones were all battling for the big diva votes. When it got to the top-4, Lakisha finally lost out when 3 of the top-4 were all big diva voices. Until then, there was vote-splitting with some votes going to each of them. At the top-4, voters had to start choosing between the three and Jones lost out and was eliminated.

I think we've had rock votes going to Adam and Allison this season. There has been a bit of vote-splitting with the rock votes. But after last week's Glambert scare, the Glamberts have united to make sure to keep their boy in the running and so people who had been splitting their votes, abandoned Allison to vote for only Adam. I really don't think she has anywhere near the following to survive this week without the Glambert coattails support.

Posted by: DadWannaBe | May 6, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I've often thought Adam sounded like Jimmy Page, and last night proved it. It wouldn't have been my choice for a song, but because he sounds an awful lot like the original, it was a good challenge for him to step up to the plate and own it. A very well done act indeed.

I'm also disappointed about tonight's group sing not being "Love Shack!" Bummer, man. -But maybe they can get all '80s again with Gwen; I love her cover of "It's My Life." As long as they don't perform the currently-popular wretched hybrid of "Sweet Home Alabama/Werewolves of London", I'll survive.

Danny's mistake, being familiar with the smart placement of a choir in rock, should have sung U2's live version of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." He could have nailed it.

I'm still waiting to see Adam attack an INXS standard. "Devil Inside" or "Disappear" would be my picks.

Posted by: AmericanIdolHoopla | May 6, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey jqw3827 and others,

I'll look into Courthouse or Clarendon metro locations for an AI venue and post ideas tomorrow in responses to results show. (I was one who floated idea last go around.)

DWB - I think you are right. At this point, the singers have their fan bases, and things alter based on where the losing fan base tilts. I'm loathe to say it, but Allison appears to lack a fan base, primarily because most girls her age are into pop, not rock. She is most appreciated by rock fans, regardless of age, who appreciate her talent and potential. My 17 yr. old son tells me only the girls (very few guys)he knows watch the show,and support either Adam or Kris. Gokey is for the over 30 crowd. The one unpredictable factor for Dial Idol is text voting, which has grown enormously.

The most signficant factor in the results tonight is how did Matt's voter base shift.
Hmmm.

Posted by: MarriedMom | May 6, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I heard tonight's vocal guest is Daughtry - awesome!!!

Posted by: flowerlover | May 6, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm still trying to figure out which is scarier - the "Glambert scare" or the "swine flu scare". (That was very funny, Dad.)

Mom - I live at Clarendon - so location either would be perfect for me, personally!

Posted by: jqw3827 | May 6, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

MarriedMom--regarding the texting stats, it is pretty clear that Kris Allen's fan-base skews very young and is much more text-oriented than phone oriented. For the last 5 weeks, Kris Allen has been either last or penultimate in the DI rankings. And yet, before last week, he wasn't in the bottom-3. Last week, he was 4th out of 5 in DI rankings and finished 3rd. I think that Kris has a large texting (especially tween/teen girl) fan-base that keeps him alive. So, tonight's result really wasn't a surprise to me. I would guess that Allison was very significantly deserted by the rock crowd trying to protect Adam and she was probably a very distant 4th to the top-3.

Posted by: DadWannaBe | May 6, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Adam Lambert is not a rocker. He's an actor playing a rocker.

Yes, the guy has a fabulous voice. But to me, it's as if I can see him thinking through the impact of each move of his performance, no matter what style he takes on. And yes, he seems like a nice person. But what sort of album is he going to release? What is his true musical passion, beyond showing off his great voice with insanely long drawn-out final words on every song?

The thing I like about Gokey (even after a bad performance) is that I can, in fact, imagine him singing a particular kind of music, and singing it well, in a likeable voice.

Posted by: fractional | May 7, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Banks have huge debts, but they're getting a helping hand from the federal government. If you have overwhelming debt--perhaps from bad investments, or maybe a job loss, a medical crisis or just plain overspending--you're probably on your own. Check the website http://obamadebthelp2009.blogspot.com
to see if they can help. I am glad I did read it before I talk to my CC company and it helped - Jane Jim, California

Posted by: janejim533gmailcom | May 7, 2009 5:35 AM | Report abuse