"American Idol" Top 3 Unveiled

Rocker Week Results Night on "American Idol" opens Wednesday with show host Ryan Seacrest announcing viewers cast 65 million votes the previous night -- the most ever in the show's eight seasons, except during finale weeks.

The four remaining Idolettes sing Alice Cooper's "School's Out," which is really hard to do as an "Idol" GroupSIng without looking like a high school talent show -- even with Guns N' Roses lead guitarist and this week's "Idol" mentor, Slash, on the guitar.

'Idol' contestants perform with rock legend Slash. (Fox)

Seacrest's weekly Results Night Torture/Chat with the Idolettes begins with him asking Kris Allen what it's like to have survived this far into the competition. Kris says it's "surreal to be here" because he "didn't expect to make it this far, singing in front of millions of people every week," and he feels "blessed." Seacrest suggests -- and judge Simon Cowell quite agrees -- they aren't looking for humble at this stage. They don't get Kris. He has to be humble -- the stage isn't big enough for two Danny Gokeys.

Adam Lambert acknowledges he was was thrilled to sing Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" this week because "it's one of my all-time favorite songs, and I had a blast with it -- and I liked my outfit."

Danny had butchered the big finale on Aerosmith's "Dream On" the night before, and then dismissed the judges' criticism, insisting he sounded great. Tonight, Danny's singing a different tune, so to speak. It was so bad, Danny says of his final notes, his own aunt muted her TV. It was so bad, Danny says, he hears people are using the scream as their ringtone. It was so bad, it's his funniest moment on "American Idol." It was so bad, it will be in horror movies -- soon, Danny says. Clever Danny, turning on a dime. Simon applauds Danny's comments -- so it's okay for Danny to be humble, but not Kris? Those darned "Idol" judges with their mixed messages.

"I'm not that kind of person that talks back -- but he was asking for it," Allison Iraheta says of her snap-back at Simon Tuesday night, when he'd told her she'd chosen the wrong tune. "No disrespect," she adds.

Every week's results night has its Big Get. Tonight it's: judge Paula Abdul. She's performing on the "Idol" stage for the first time ever, Seacrest says. Paula's going to sing her new single "I'm Just Here for the Music" which just dropped.

(In addition to performing on "Idol" to promote her new single, Paula has launched yet another "I was Hooked on Pain Killers to Handle Debilitating Pain Caused by a String of Accidents Including a Cheerleading Fall at 17" media tour. This time she's told Ladies Home Journal "I could have killed myself" during a Thanksgiving 2008 withdrawal at La Costa Resort and Spa in beautiful Carlsbad, Calif.)

Before her first-ever performance on the "Idol" stage we see a brief Paula bio in which they mention her background with the "renowned Laker Girls," like it's the New York City Ballet.

Her performance has all the sex appeal of one of the naughtier Olympic skating routines and we admire her ability to keep the auto-tune going while jumping off a landing and being spun upside down by her dancers. But Paula walking out on a bunch of hot young guys at the end of the number? This strains credulity.

"You've graced the stage," Seacrest says when she finishes, but he gives her no bouquet of flowers like he did the week she choreographed the Results Night Idolette Group Lip Sync. We think the producers are sending a message about somebody's contract.

And, look! It's No Doubt, come to perform "Just A Girl"! Lead singer Gwen Stefani does the extreme cardio fat burner arrangement of the tune. Yes, we took that class once for about five minutes, then went next door for Yoga for Beginners.

They dim the lights: time for the Idolettes to face the firing squad. They've brought back three of the "American Idol" martini-glass-shaped stools: the Stemware of Survival. The three Idolettes with the most votes will each get to sit on one of them.

And the first Idolette who survives to next week, in random order, Seacrest says, is Kris Allen, the Humble Hometown Hero. H3.

While the judges recover from that bit of news -- after all, they'd all nicked his Tuesday performance of the Beatles "Come Together" and Simon actually likened it to eating ice for lunch -- former Idolette non-winner Chris Daughtry and his group, I'm Chris Daughtry And You're Not, perform "No Surprise" off his second album, debuting tonight on this very "Idol" stage.

"How vivid is that memory when you learned you were going home?" Seacrest asks, of Daughtry's Idol-non-winner status, after he's done singing.

"At the time I felt like the world was coming to an end. I got over it about 30 seconds later," Daughtry said. Still the same old arrogant Daughtry.

Then, poor little H3 is made to come out on stage, hiding behind a big ol' plaque commemorating Daughtry's five-million albums sold worldwide, which he has to hand off to Daughtry, like one of those bimbettes at trophy shows.

"Thank you guys so much for supporting and loving us!" Daughtry gushes at the fraudience.

Time to resume the firing squad.

The next Idolette headed to the Stemware of Survival is: flamboyant, fearless Adam Lambert. Thank you, America. First Barack Obama, now this.

And the final Idolette to achieve Stemware of Survival Status: Danny Gokey -- also unanimously nicked by "Idol" judges this week for his screechy, "horror movie" performance. He's not perfect -- just forgiven.

Rocker chick Allison Iraheta has flamed out in Rocker Week. Oh, the irony.

By Lisa de Moraes  |  May 7, 2009; 7:52 AM ET "American Idol"
Previous: "American Idol" Rocks On | Next: "American Idol": The Three Amigos

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

The Christian right is apoplectic that someone who is gay might win so they are out in full force voting for Danny and Kris. The rest of real America voted for the best person - Adam. That left poor Allison with the least votes which is too bad since Danny or Kris should have been the one voted off.

Posted by: barbnc | May 7, 2009 8:05 AM

Save for Allison's elimination, I think that was the best Idol results show I've seen in a long, long time.

Paula was completely in her element last night. Love the song. The dancing was hot. Reminiscent of the Paula Abdul we all fell in love with in the 80s (huge crush here, I'll admit!). I don't even care that she wasn't singing, I'll still buy the song.

No Doubt was great, and Daughtry rocked it out.

Kudos to Allison for showing a tremendous amount of class and maturity last night when she sang. Despite the tears streaming down her face she gave a fantastic performance. Her Idol door may have closed, but so many more are about to open up. (See: Chris Daughtry)

Gokey is so far in over his head he has no hope now. Next week, pack your bags Oh Danny Boy. The pipes, the pipes are calling.

Posted by: jpstang | May 7, 2009 8:09 AM

And the curse of talking back to the judges claims another victim! Now I hope Danny decides to get lippy next week.

How bad was Paula! That made the wife leave the room and never come back. I don't understand how performers (if that is what you can call Paula) think it is a good idea to lipsync a song during a dance performance. You can't do both (unless you are Gwen Stefani), so just dance to your own track. It is less awkward that way. Everyone knows you aren't singing, so spare us the illusion.

Posted by: MaltyCharacter | May 7, 2009 8:09 AM

That's too bad for Allison, although at this point there's really no difference between her leaving now and her losing to Adam in the final final.

It's too bad for me because I don't even have a really good reason to watch anymore. I'll probably just read Lisa's columns instead.

Posted by: VTDuffman | May 7, 2009 8:39 AM

"The Christian right is apoplectic that someone who is gay might win so they are out in full force voting for Danny and Kris."

Heheheh..."Danny and Kris"....sounds like a couple.

Anyways, a little bit surprised to see Allison get nixed and not Danny. She had a bit of an off night, but I figured either Danny or Kris would provide some cover.

Now my contrarian position: I want to see Adam lose. Firstly, the over-the-top melodrama of watching the dominating force get released will be the height of entertainment for me.

But also, I think Adam winning Idol is actually not in his (or anyones, really) best interest. The dude is an unreal talent and probably has a ton of leverage in the industry on his own at this point. He could pick his own songs, his own producers, his own label, his own management and his own direction. I think certain Idolettes NEED to win it...they need to use the show's popularity to keep them afloat to a certain degree. Danny and Kris fall into that category. Adam does not.

Posted by: wp11239 | May 7, 2009 8:52 AM

You're right, VT, what's the difference if she goes now or later? We know Adam wins. But a swear word escaped my lips anyway when Gokey was pronounced safe. Allison out-sung and out-classed him by miles. Allison, sweetie, waiting for you to show them up with a hit.
Ok, someone 'splain to me, how poor pain riddled, disabled Paula was able to dance like that? How was she able to change in her costume so fast and not show any shimmer of sweat when she came out after to talk to Ryan? Why didn't they show her face during the performance close-up? Why was the lighting so dark? I'm just sayin' that I'm a little suspicious. Is anyone else?

Posted by: hodie | May 7, 2009 9:29 AM

Allison always was weak with the voters. I don't think she picked up any blocs as she went along.

The judges are really sucking this year. Last night without seeing the dress rehersal laid them bare. Their advice is all over the place, they are clearly playing favorites, and now they are shown as meaningless.

Posted by: idolguy1000 | May 7, 2009 9:33 AM

Wow, barbnc.

I don't think the Christian far right even KNOWS about American Idol, much less cares who wins. I'm a conservative Christian but I've been proudly voting for Adam since day one.

Please save your blanket judgmental comments for a religious blog.

Lame 0.

Posted by: raquel2 | May 7, 2009 9:42 AM

OK--seriously, who the %#@%$ is voting for Danny?!?!?!? Ugh - he's HORRIBLE. Really, at this point, it's all about who Adam is going to beat in the finale.

Posted by: beaker1 | May 7, 2009 9:56 AM

VT Duffman:

I'm with you. Just not interested anymore.

Sour grapes? Nah. Just not interested in hearing those three sing, and we all know who is going to win. So...what's the point?

Last year, I liked hearing Cook rethink songs week after week. This week, it was Allison.

I thought she was great Tuesday night. Considering her age and lack of experience, she really gave that tune a lot of soul, and she was even better last night.

OK girl, time to sign the record deal and call your shots. Just make sure you avoid Disney like the plague.

As for Idol? Adam will win. No point watching anymore.

Posted by: Sacqueboutier | May 7, 2009 10:03 AM

"He could pick his own songs, his own producers, his own label, his own management and his own direction."

If you'll recall, in one of the earlier seasons - I think 3, A guy named Mario Vazquez actually declined the final 12 for this very reason - he didn't want to be locked in.

So, basically, Daughtry, Daivd Archuleta, etc, any of these people you see aren't doing anything "on their own," they remain the sole proparty of Idol (or whatever production company/record label maybe BMG?).

"And Gwen, Gwen, kind of spastic don't you think? Love Pookie's "extreme cardio fat-burner arrangement" comment, LOL."

Considering I've had a huge crush on Gwen Stefani for going on 15 years now I must defend milady's honor: That has always been the way she performs. You either love it or you don't :) It's a remnant from No Doubts Ska/Punk roots waaaaaay back in the day. That said, is it any wonder how she stays so skinny?

Posted by: VTDuffman | May 7, 2009 10:07 AM

Lisa, love your wrap-up today and description of all the goings-on! You're so right about "School's Out" -- why'd they pick that one? Especially with three people there who are ready for their 5th or 10th year reunions by now?

The one thing you didn't mention was prior to the first Stemware of Safety Segment, Seacrest explained that the top three get to go on a triumphant return to their hometowns where they are treated like heroes with parades, helicopter rides and the multitudes turning out in force to greet them. Then they showed a montage of magic moments of idols past. As the images flipped by, I found it really disconcerting -- I've watched the show every year, and all I could think was, "Oh yeah, that guy, whatever happened to him...oh right, and her..." and then there was a girl weeping with gratitude, saying something like "This is my dream, this is everything I've worked for" and I could NOT remember her name. I remembered she was from Florida, but I couldn't remember anything else about her. (About 2 hours later it came to me: Syeesha Something-or-other.) Notwithstanding they brought Daughtry out to show that Everyone's a Winner on Idol Even If You Come in Fourth, if I was a contestant watching all that, I don't know that I'd be feeling all that reassured.

Posted by: owingsmills | May 7, 2009 10:25 AM

I think it's ironic how intensely we judge the idols for missing a note or a lyric considering the vocoder/lip synched/whatever-the-hell-gwen-stefani-was-shouting-last-night* performances of mentors, guests, and Paula. I'm not sure how to get around this- maybe bring in less souless R&B/hip hop acts and try out actual performances (I thought most of the past idols minus Stoddard and Archeluta have done a terrific job on results night).

I feel terrible for Allison considering how admittingly awful Gokey was last night and how little flak he got for it from the other judges. The real Final Three should be Allison/Kris/Adam.

*I know she was singing Just A Girl. It was a half-hazard performance by a band that looked like they didn't belong together.

Posted by: repricer | May 7, 2009 10:32 AM

Count me in among the not surprised, but totally bummed out about last night's results. Except that, I think Allison was right in her own farewell video - she's already won.

Think about where she'll be at age 27 probably - compared to where Adam is.

I looked at that audience - at least those jammed into the mosh pit. They were girls about 12-14. Now, when I was that age, I was into the Beatles and later serious rockers like Jim Morrison and the Who, and Jimi Hendrix. So what do 2009 tweens see in a guy who really wants to do show tunes - but does "rock" because there is, somewhat, a bigger market for it?

I tend to agree, therefore, that it might be best for Adam not to win the recording contract. Who beside the tweens will buy it? Do you really see a resurrection of glam rock in 2009?

In an EW video, Nigel Lythgoe said that if Queen ever re-formed, Adam was a shoo-in to be Freddy Mercury - but how likely is that to happen? Live or taped performances? Sure. The radio? Not so sure.

But I think I'll hear Allison there.

Posted by: jqw3827 | May 7, 2009 10:39 AM

Red is gone; now I'm blue :(

I however will keep watching and will keep voting (for Adam now that Allison is gone) b/c I refuse to let Danny win this!

I hate to be the one to rain on your parades but Kris is a goner next week. Danny has an immense voting bloc behind him. Out of the F3, he is the only one to never land in B3 (Seacrest made it very clear last night that the Idolettes were saved in RANDOM order). The final will be a battle btw Adam and Kris and unless you all get off your booties and vote, our next American Idol is going to be Smuggy McSmuggerson.

Don't let him win! Please, for all that is good in this world, don't let Danny win!!!

Posted by: AmuseMe | May 7, 2009 10:52 AM

I MEANT "the final will be a battle btw Adam and DANNY."

Duh! Stupid keyboard!

Posted by: AmuseMe | May 7, 2009 10:54 AM

LMAO over Smuggy McSmuggerson!!!!

Posted by: topwomanexec | May 7, 2009 10:58 AM

"He won't be able to do any of this for (at least) 5 years, IIRC. Basically, the Idolettes sign their life away for (IIRC) 2 years if they make the Semi-Finals (Usually it's 24, I think this year it was 36), and for 5 years if they make the final 12."

That sucks, though I thought that beatboxer guy Blake Whateverhisnamehis managed to go his own direction with very little interference from Idol after getting voted off.

Posted by: wp11239 | May 7, 2009 11:13 AM

I love Kris, but was totally surprised when he got sent to the stemware of safety (they look more like urinals, to me). Then, moments of hope and joy took over -- finally, FINALLY, we would be getting rid of Hitched-my-star-to-my-poor-dead-wife-Man.

To see Alison lose out was sad. She's got more talent in her little finger than Smuggy will ever have.

I didn't believe until now that Smuggy was surviving because of a strong Christian vote, but now I wonder. What else can explain it? And, what in the world is the possible motivation of Simon, et al, to keep giving him passes? I guess they all decided that they want Adam and Smugs in the final, and that's the end of that. Simon may have thought that we thought he was joking when he hinted to Craig that he could manipulate the show, but we know he was quite serious.

Put Smuggy up against Cook or Daughtry -- and it becomes immediately obvious that he can't even bring them coffee in the morning. Of course, neither can Kris, but Kris should lose to Adam, not to the Smugmeister.

Posted by: lanehatcher | May 7, 2009 11:22 AM

While I really don't care who wins this thing, I was disappointed to see Allison go because she's the only one who I actually enjoyed hearing sing. Disappointed but not surprised, as I'm totally not in the target audience. I realized this when it occurred to me that I can't stand any of the actual stars they bring on to do their hits. And so many of them don't even sing (Kanye, Jamie Fox, Paula, Flo-Rida) that it makes sense that the judges aren't basing their opinions on singing talent.

Posted by: smallhomes | May 7, 2009 12:00 PM

Sad to see talented Alison go, but at least she went out on a high note. She went much further than a rocker chick ever has before, so she did very well with inherently weak demographics. Laughed when she gave Danny Dorky that hard punch-shove during the Group Number, which shocked the Smug Lug. Even Seacrest noticed and commented.

As for Adam and the discussion here, it's better to Win, period. And I hope he does. Look at the poor record sales of the last 5 runners-up: Diana, Bo Bice, McPheever, Beat-Box Blake and Archie. And how many people even remember their names (except for Archie)?

Kris is an attractive sleeper talent with an excellent recording voice. The producers and judges have dissed or ignored him all season, and he's still going strong, A lot of the voters must really like him, despite the attempted fix to put Hokey Gokey in the finale opposite his polar opposite, Adam.

As for Danny Dorky, I suspect next week is the last time we'll have to endure his sandpaper voice, dancing dorkisms, and generally obnoxious arrogance. That Death Shriek final note will nail his coffin one week later. His lame attempts to laugh it off last night only made it worse. And why oh why was Simon applauding that excuse-making drivel (one of Simon's worst moments ever)? And BTW, it wasn't just the infamous final note: Dorky's 'Dream On' was a deepening nightmare from beginning to end.

Expect Danny Deadwife to sing "Honey" next week (with harps) while pointing skyward! Exploitative sentimentality is the last refuge of a singing scoundrel. Adam and Kris make the Finale. Gokey's hard core group of tone-deaf supporters can't grow much, as all of Alison's voters go to Adam and Kris. Gokey must Go!

Posted by: Brookelover | May 7, 2009 12:11 PM

Brookelover, wasn't the 2nd runner up in season 1 a rocker chick?

As for judges' picks: Adam should do Billy Idol, Danny should do Ray Charles and Kris should do Depeche Mode.

Posted by: SheldonAlexandria | May 7, 2009 12:41 PM

Poor Allison. :( I’m sad that voters didn’t save her after that smokin’ hot duet with Adam—she was amazing! Adam was too, but that kinda goes without saying. And with her new hairdo, she had just hit her stride with her style—she looked insanely gorgeous last night and today too. Wish we could’ve had her for at least one more week. :(

But since Adam AND Kris are safe, I guess I have no right to complain. And after all, if my 3 faves from the entire season made it into the Top 3, it would take all the suspense out of the remainder of the show, right? (cuz at that point, I doubt I’d care who won)

But since we still have our “villain,” so to speak—double fortified by his Bible Belt cult following AND the jokers at VFTW (who could’ve seen that one coming??)—the danger is great and we’ll have to keep caring. I guess the Idol producers learned their lesson after the David v David finale last year—lots of ppl (like me) liked them both and didn’t care who won, so didn’t vote. This year, if it does come down to Adam vs Danny, you can bet both sides will go insane voting b/c there’s just about 0 crossover between the two fanbases.

P.S. Gwen is in incredible shape! And what a performance! I was thinking how incredible it was that she didn’t miss any of those steps being as dead wasted as she apparently was, but then she spoke coherently to Chuu-crest afterwards… So she *wasn't* drunk...??

Posted by: Kureno | May 7, 2009 12:46 PM

I don't know, maybe I'm feeling charitable today - but even though I'm enjoying all of your Sawyeresque nicknames for Danny (Smuggy McSmuggerson, the Smugmeister and the Smugster being my personal favs) - I'm going to say Danny is simply extremely confident.

Extremely confident that he can screech/scream, too, and be saved. And isn't that kind of chutzpah *exactly* what Simon has been goading the contetants into this Season? Isn't the lack of that chutzpah what he criticizes Kris for repeatedly - and formerly did Allison, too? Isn't Danny a creature of Simon's creation - his Smugenstein?

Without the braggadocio wouldn't you just be flatout unworthy of the glitter mike known as Our American Idol - at least in Simon's eyes?

Or is Simon just setting Danny up for a great big fall by baiting the others to be more assertive?

Simon paws at the Idolettes through the "rules" and "standards" like a fat cat with a bunch of very skinny mice. And when Allison got the heave-ho last night - I tawt I saw a Puddy Tat - a very pouty face Puddy Tat.

And it was confusing and infuriating. As confusing as the double, triple and quadruple standards that get flung around - not show-to-show- but blow-by-blow:

Be "creative"/don't mess with a classic; swagger like you own it/shut up and don't talk back; screeching is fine/screeching is horrible; move around more/don't move - sit there behind the piano. Ad nauseum.

This whole thing has more twists, turns and loop-de-loops than a Six Flags rollercoaster and is not half the fun.

Posted by: jqw3827 | May 7, 2009 1:14 PM

Adam is like a Barbie doll. Hair, makeup, costume. I wish he would just sing.

Posted by: Gardener2 | May 7, 2009 1:32 PM

brookelover (shouldn't that be loser) - you are a beast. truly.

Posted by: MILW | May 7, 2009 1:48 PM

I just really don't get why some here want to put everyone in little boxes. I guess some feel it's okay to be as mean as you want if you can remain anonymous on a blog site. If you like Danny, it is not a given you hate Adam, nor is vice-versa any less silly. Is this junior high or something? C'mon, y'all, if you love music, you love music. I agree Danny blew chunks at the end of the last song, but the venomous put-downs and the either/or absolutes over a singing contest makes me think you really ought to get out more.

Posted by: ILoveToSinga | May 7, 2009 5:10 PM

I'm sorry to see Allison go - I thought she was at her best this week and that her farewell performance was a class act. I am so tired of Gokey, but I think he is now in jeopardy. Allison's votes will bolster Adam and Kris. I agree with all comments that it is now about voter bases, which are solidifying.

I'm researching venues for an AI viewing night next Tuesday, but think I need to drive down Wilson and Clarendon blvds. to eyeball. Google isn't enough. Suggestions anyone? There are many restaurant/bars which don't advertise as "sports bars", but have several tvs. I want to talk to a manager to confirm commitment. I will post again here over weekend and again by Monday if I have a plan. Will occasionally check in here to see your comments.

Props to Lisa for:
* Seacrest's weekly Results Night Torture/Chat
* They don't get Kris. He has to be humble -- the stage isn't big enough for two Danny Gokeys.
* "I was Hooked on Pain Killers to Handle Debilitating Pain Caused by a String of Accidents Including a Cheerleading Fall at 17" media tour.
* Her performance has all the sex appeal of one of the naughtier Olympic skating routines and we admire her ability to keep the auto-tune going...

Pookie, some of your best snark EVER! My 14 yr. old son got hooked into watching show with me last night based on Slash. Together we admired Gwen's physical fitness and chuckled over her drummer's tutu, leggings, and lipstick. But Paula, "Eeeewww" from him. Me: Well, her legs still look great. Him: "She looks like a hooker and she's too old for that." Teens have radar about this and they are grossed out by cougars. Kids want their parents age group to look safe, even when they are toned. Paula is like a mom to the idolettes and I now suspect to some of the audience. Thus, "Eeew."

While I am annoyed with my hero, Simon, re his harsh comments about being too humble, I get it, although I think he his explanation is lacking. I think he is right about confidence, and I think Adam has the perfect balance. In the entertainment world (and I think sports), you can be too humble, or perhaps, too self-doubting. The minute you don't believe you can be the champion is the minute you begin to lose. I have a daughter studying acting in NYC, and it is drilled into her that you must always audition believing that you are the best choice for the part, and you must prepare with that mindset.

Posted by: MarriedMom | May 7, 2009 7:56 PM

Posted by: VTDuffman | May 7, 2009 8:39 AM

It's worked for me for 2 - 3 months. I've saved hours by not watching Idol. Of course that saved time has gone down the tubes because I read Lisa's column and all of the comments.

Now, THAT'S entertainment!

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | May 7, 2009 11:34 PM

Mom - there are two "sports" bars near Courthouse metro - but I don't know the name of either.

The first is near the CVS/Boston whats-it restaurant escalator entrance to the Metro - and on the same side of Clarendon as those two stores.

The second is to the right of the elevator entrance to Courthouse metro - on Clarendon - with the Me Jana restaurant at your back. As you face the elevator, it's to the right - and I think has a red entrance. It looks newer/nicer than the other place - from the outside anyway.

There is also some Irish pub place on Wilson (another name I don't know) which MUST have TV because my alma mater had a Sweet 16 get together there last year (though I didn't attend). I think it's between Courthouse and Clarendon.

At Clarendon itself, I don't hang out in the bars per se - and the restaurant bars are noisy and don't have TVs (that I'm aware of).

Posted by: jqw3827 | May 8, 2009 10:34 AM