Washington D.C. Invaded by Real Housewives

This is our now, Washington.

Bravo network's The Real Housewives of [Fill in the Blank] franchise is coming to our nation's capital.

NBC Universal-owned Bravo network has planted its flag in the Washington market, announcing it is developing a "Real Housewives" reality series set "in the influential metropolitan region of Washington D.C."

Expect to see the series hit Bravo's lineup in about a year, Andy Cohen, the network's senior vice president of original programming and development, says.

The new series will "tap personalities who are among Washington D.C.'s influential players, cultural connoisseurs, fashion sophisticates and philanthropic leaders -- the people who rub elbows with the most prominent people in the country," the network announced.

They've already put about 25 housewives on tape, Cohen says. The producers will now "lock down on" the handful of women who will make it to air. They're looking for a very "brand specific" Washington chick, Cohen said. That is: "wealthy, independent, strong, politically connected, outspoken" -- and, horsey. Yes, some of the finalists are "active in the horse community," Cohen says.

Though Washington had been rumored to be on the Real Housewives Hot List for ages, it only recently became a reality, by virtue of the fact that any day of the week you can't throw a brick at a newsstand without hitting at least two publications that have put President Barack Obama or First Lady Michelle Obama on the cover.

"There's a young hot couple in the White House and along with that comes a lot of interest in the place they're living and the restaurants they're eating in," Cohen says.
"[The media] is covering Obama going out for a hamburger...Everyone wants to know where Michelle is shopping and where she is having her hair done. Washington didn't need the Obamas to be one of the most important places in the world, but now, with the Obamas, they're ratcheting up its image as a place Us magazine is looking at -- for better or for worse."

In fact, Michelle Obama "is the kind of bulls-eye new Real Housewife of America," he said.

"But I don't want to say we're planting our flag in D.C. because of Michelle," Cohen added quickly.

"We always thought D.C. was an interesting town and wanted to develop there. With the influx of new blood it becomes sort of hotter and more interesting.

"We've -- and I say this with a straight face -- not had much political discourse on the Real Housewives franchise," Cohen said, making us like him even better. "I've tried to bring it up -- and have brought it up on a couple of OC reunion shows...Orange County is very Republican. I always found it interesting they're so Republican and yet they're so incredibly free with themselves and their sexuality -- they ride the line. I always love hearing about their staunch Republicanism in the face of No Cup Size Is Too Large...

"The key is, if we're going to do it in yet another city, we need to find a place that is very different."

Welcome to Washington, Real Housewives.

By Lisa de Moraes  |  May 26, 2009; 1:47 PM ET TV News
Previous: American Idol Gets Crowned | Next: Kris Allen Dings Reports of AT&T Staffers' Voting Help

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Geez...how many signs of the apocalypse are there?

Posted by: distance88 | May 26, 2009 2:36 PM

I knew it was just a matter of time! I wonder if it's going to be focused on Great Falls, Potomac or Chevy Chase.

Posted by: eet7e | May 26, 2009 2:46 PM

I just threw up in my mouth.

This will be road kill.

Posted by: PSURoss | May 26, 2009 2:50 PM

Oh, "horsey". I didn't read it correctly the first time. I thought the show was looking for Washington-chic people who were 'horny'. Which makes sense for that exciting ratings boost, and with the periodic headlines sounds reasonable too. My mistake, I guess.

Posted by: john_falck | May 26, 2009 2:53 PM

Where is the PTC when you need them?!?!

Posted by: Krazijoe | May 26, 2009 2:54 PM

I was woderun' what they were gonna' do with the dying 'soaps'... now I know. Thenk yew.

Posted by: deepthroat21 | May 26, 2009 3:01 PM

Jesus, Joseph and Mary. We are living in the Bizarro World. There are no "Real Housewives" in the Metro Area.

Posted by: dennisl591 | May 26, 2009 3:01 PM

By "horsey" I immediately thought "horse-faced." I can only imagine the PR hit some of these people will take if, in fact, they get "influential players" to sign on. Talk about an out-dated show in this economy. How did Confessions of a Shopaholic do at the box office?

Posted by: dclifer97 | May 26, 2009 3:02 PM

People don't hold big house parties since the death of Katherine Graham.

Posted by: bs2004 | May 26, 2009 3:04 PM

Oh no. This is nauseating.

Posted by: info40 | May 26, 2009 3:37 PM

Posted by: JoStalin | May 26, 2009 3:39 PM

Don't fool yourselves - there are plenty of "housewives" in the DC area.

Once upon a time I had to look over a house the Spring Valley neighborhood as part of a real estate inspection. Knowing the neighborhood, I eschewed my usual environmental inspection outfit (i.e. - work clothes that could get dirty paired with sturdy work boots), and instead showed up in a nicer outfit with top-drawer grooming.

The real estate agent - a woman who was from the neighborhood - decided after looking me over, noting my nice manners, good grooming, and attractive young face and body that I was "too pretty to be working for a living" and offered to set me up with "someone nice who could take care of me". I thanked her but politely declined her generous offer.

Trust me - in DC itself, there are enclaves of "Housewife"-worthy spouses, at least from an income standpoint. I'm not sure they would provide the same drama as the OC or NJ - almost anyone I ever met from that part of the world is usually involved on many charities and bored and is quite secure with who they are - but they are there.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | May 26, 2009 3:44 PM

Oops, that is supposed to be:

"almost anyone I ever met from that part of the world is usually involved with many charities and boards and is quite secure with who they are"

Part Freudian slip, but mostly killer allergies muddying up my typing ;)

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | May 26, 2009 3:47 PM

"Perhaps they should broadcast "The Real Wives of Anacostia" instead. Now that would be a show worth watching."

OH HELLS YEAH!

Posted by: stikyfingas | May 26, 2009 3:48 PM

Posted by: PowerandPride | May 26, 2009 3:57 PM

"Now that is the ticket...get one housewife from Anacostia, Trinidad, Dupont Circle, Capitol Hill and Foggy Bottom. The thought of this being filmed is enough to put a smile on my face.

Shakita, Sharon, Siobhan, Sally, and Sakisha...what could they possilby hold in their hands to symbolize Washington, DC...Ben's Chili Hot dog no doubt LOL!!!!"

Someone needs to call BRAVO NOW! That would be the most POPULAR housewives EVER! I would race home to watch it all!!! HILARIOUS!!!

Posted by: clickums | May 26, 2009 4:06 PM

The Real Housewives of Anacostia - now that's keeping it real! I'd watch.

Posted by: mvm_ffx | May 26, 2009 4:09 PM

I've oft said that Bravo could never crack the DC area because the husbands are involved in industries that are too sensitive to having their private lives exposed on TV.

However...I never thought about the real estate developers and media, PR and sports moguls around town. But if you're going to show that slice, what would be the difference between a "real housewife" living in DC or one living in any other city? Unless he's culling through the usual suspects of party fundraisers.

Posted by: mdreader01 | May 26, 2009 4:19 PM

Are we changing the definition of housewife here? All of the housewives of NY were definitely not housewives according to the traditional definition (like Bethenny). And I don't believe that an independent, politically-connected woman would consent to this project and probably would be offended by the title "housewife." Politically-connected people (and their friends) NEED their privacy. They'll probably end up getting wannabees for the show.

P.S.The Real Housewives of Anacostia. You guys are too funny.

Posted by: forgetthis | May 26, 2009 4:30 PM

Posted by: khslade | May 26, 2009 5:17 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: plamar1031 | May 26, 2009 6:10 PM

"Rather surprised by the racist and stereotypical comments made about Real Housewives of Anacostia. Obviously if they were coming to DC hoping to find a more enlightened population, they wouldn't find it on these boards.

Each location has had trash, whether it was upscale or ghetto, it was still trash."

Oh lighten up.

For one thing, you don't seem to have a problem with calling people trash.

For another, Sheniqua from Anacostia doesn't automatically equal ghetto.

Bravo is looking for a stereotype: a rich, White woman (preferably nouveau riche), who amuses herself with charity work, lunch, and shopping. That's not a real DC housewife.
Watching Shakita, Sharon, Siobhan, Sally, and Sakisha get through life would be infinitely more interesting than watching some rich b*tch decide which designer dress to wear to which chrity ball.

Posted by: onlytheshadowknows1 | May 26, 2009 6:17 PM

I think we should have "Real Housewives of West Virginia".

Posted by: sweet_dj62 | May 26, 2009 6:18 PM

If it's like the other shows, it will be more like two "housewives" who live in DC, one in Silver Spring, one in Vienna, and another in Falls Church. The "real housewives" franchise always presents the women as "somebodies" but usually only one woman on each show has any real connections.

Posted by: red_hawk1968 | May 26, 2009 7:05 PM

So am I safe to assume this show won't feature big black housewives who actually live in DC?

Posted by: bug45 | May 26, 2009 7:09 PM

Anyone who watches this crap - needs a life - very, very quickly.

Posted by: hclark1 | May 26, 2009 7:13 PM

one more reason to keep on living. ..

Posted by: joelcavicchia | May 26, 2009 7:44 PM

How about "The Real Housewives of Ashburn"? Is that's possible? Close to shopping & horses & they love their SUVs & big houses.

Posted by: Myshamrock_va@yahoo.com | May 26, 2009 9:18 PM

Ugh, I love the Real Housewives franchise but this is just going to be BORING. Who wants to watch boring and unattractive women from Arlington parading around in Ann Taylor and dining at the crappy Lauriol Plaza?

I fully support the Real Housewives of Anacostia. I would pay to see the adventures of Latrice with her orange arcrylic talons.

Posted by: RedVox | May 26, 2009 10:24 PM

"I think we should have "Real Housewives of West Virginia".

The show could have four for five women fighting over the same brother; who has the most tricked out double-wide; who has the most kids by the most men; who has the most teeth left; and who has conned the most public assistance."

They already have that show, it's called "The Jerry Springer Show." And, as for you people clamoring for the real housewives of Anacostia, they alreay have that show too. It's called "Maury."

You ARE the father.

Posted by: VTDuffman | May 27, 2009 9:32 AM

Of course any "real housewife" from the Dupont Circle neighborhood is more likely to be named Chuck or Peter. lol

Posted by: jpstang | May 27, 2009 12:53 PM

Posted by: PowerandPride | May 26, 2009 3:57 PM

-------------------------------------------

LMAO, too! Only if the "Sally" is Sally Quinn! Count me in!

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | May 27, 2009 10:47 PM

While we're at it... how about the real housewives of Howard county...Oooo I can see it now... 5 stay home moms, ( a real rarity in these financial times) crying on each other's shoulders while keeping those mani and pedi's sharp for clawing their way to the front of the line of the best SAT Prep courses and lacrosse camps for their "gifted and talented" progeny... Now this is juicy stuff!

Posted by: swimmom3 | May 29, 2009 7:30 AM