Lisa's Favorite Sites

No More Dancing-Around Issues for DeLay

Fractured feet did in former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay in his bid to make himself over from scandal-tainted pol to that nice old man who won the cheesetastic Mirrored Disco Ball on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars."

The rump-shaking disgraced Texas Republican announced his resignation from the running Tuesday night -- 24 hours after he ignored the advice of show producers and a doctor to samba to War's "Why Can't We Be Friends" while dressed in red and white stripes, a big GOP elephant across his back, with partner Cheryl Burke, who wore a backless little white-stars-on-field-of-blue number with a Democratic donkey planted on her thigh.

Political pundits had forecast DeLay would go far in the dance competition and might actually win, in spite of his dancing, because of his aggressive online campaign to get out the viewer votes.

But TV-watching experts had seen the end coming on Monday, when he played his Spangly Elephant card way too early in the competition -- this is only the third week of the show's ninth edition.

Another giveaway: the telltale "Don't worry about me, I'm okay -- did I mention my feet are broken?" comments DeLay had made to the camera before Monday's competition, during Monday's competition, and after Monday's competition.

By Lisa de Moraes  |  October 6, 2009; 7:18 PM ET
Categories:  TV News
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Craig Ferguson: Don't Hold Dave to Jonas Bros. Standards
Next: Kimmel Gives DeLay Grilling ABC News Avoided

Comments

Thank God the madness of seeing DeLay's lil' "rumpshaker" (definitely not a moneymaker) is OVER!

Posted by: meldupree | October 6, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Adios Twinkletoes! Once again you failed to do the job right.

Posted by: truth1 | October 6, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Adios Twinkletoes! Once again you failed to do the job right.

Posted by: truth1 | October 6, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey, this show may be "cheesetastic" but they have the best band in the business...

Posted by: jerkhoff | October 6, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

I guess the producers of Dancing With The Stars will just have to look for another disgraced politician who is currently being pursued on felony money laundering charges to take Delay's place.

Or how about a murderer next time? Or a convicted rapist? I bet that would grab some attention too.

Posted by: wkristol | October 6, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

It matches his broken brain.

Posted by: mortified469 | October 6, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I guess he is not man enough to hack it. Isn't dancing for girls? What a wimp. Maybe fat boy needs to go on a diet.

Posted by: mjwies11 | October 6, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Too bad this corrupt Huckabee Texan friend of George The Dumber couldn't break his lying jaw, too.

Posted by: coloradodog | October 6, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Why can't we be friends ?!?!?

Because you were a completely insufferable jerk when in power.

Posted by: thinkagain | October 6, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

What a twatmonkey.

Posted by: swatkins1 | October 6, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps Karl Rove can take over his slot.

Posted by: patb | October 6, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

DeLay? Who is he? Some used car salesman? Reality TV "personality?"

Posted by: gce1356 | October 6, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Yep another conservative who finds a reason to quit when the going get too tough.

Posted by: juist4 | October 6, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Poor Tom. I guess he finally found a situation where he couldn't bully someone or bribe someone into getting his own way. When he had to play on a level playing field he packed up and went home like the quitter his is.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. He is nothing but a skid mark in the underwear of this country.

Posted by: xconservative | October 6, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

A fractured fairy's tale ends.

Posted by: whocares666 | October 6, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I thought he danced well. I enjoyed him much more here than in his previous incarnation.

Posted by: esch | October 6, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Once again evolution is proven correct....neanderthals having trouble adapting....

Posted by: woops | October 6, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

It's too bad he had to go and gerrymander hos feet too...

Posted by: MzFitz | October 6, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather watch a monkey with gas eat a banana.

Posted by: wasaUFO | October 6, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Who gives a ****? If I never hear another word about the Bug Killer it'll be too soon.

Posted by: BwanaDik | October 6, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I chortled when I heard him announce that he would be on the show. I figured if he was having a good time he wasn't harming anyone as he did as a politician,and I even got some laughs at his expense as I watched the lumbering pachyderm stomp around the floor.

Watching him shake his a$$ did make me a bit queasy but at least he kept his shirt buttoned.

Posted by: mickle1 | October 6, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse