Lisa's Favorite Sites

Discovery makes it official: "Sarah Palin's Alaska" to TLC

Silver Spring, Md.-based TLC may be losing America's Most Put Upon Mother Kate Gosselin to the broader palette of ABC's "Dancing with the Stars," but it has gained Sarah Paiin!

The network on Thursday confirmed this TV season's worst kept secret: it has acquired global rights to the eight-episode "Sarah Palin's Alaska," which they want you to know is only a working title.

But, unlike previous reports that said the former governor of Alaska would host a travelogue about the 49th state, TLC has revealed the show is "about the remarkable Governor Palin" -- and her home state of Alaska.

"Discovery Communications is so excited to help Sarah Palin tell the story of Alaska," said Discovery Communications Chief Operating Officer Peter Ligouri who, before this gig was, most recently, the champion of Fox's animated series "Famiy Guy" in his capacity as head of Fox Entertainment.

"Family Guy," you'll recall, is the animated Seth MacFarlane series in which a teenage girl who has Down Syndrome told her date she is the daughter of a former governor of Alaska, causing Palin to go on the war path against "Fox Hollywood," saying the show had slammed of her little son Trig, who also has Down Syndrome, and that it was just the latest "kick in the gut" against her, adding on her Facebook page that it "begs the question, 'When is enough enough?'"

Small world, isn't it?

The new Palin show is being executive produced by Mark Burnett, who produces Hollywood star-struck MTV Movie Awards, and executive produces the Hollywood-celebrity-studded "Apprentice," as well as "Survivor."

Only time will tell whether doing this new series will put at further risk Palin's anti-Hollywood cred. The announcement comes nearly one month to the day after it was announced Palin's daughter Bristol was heading off to become one of those Hollywood types with whom Palin has so many issues. Bristol will make her acting debut this summer on ABC Family's teener drama "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" which is produced by Hollywood mega-conglomerate Disney and which gives the Hollywood treatment to the issue of teen pregnancy.

"Our family enjoys Discovery's networks," Palin said in Thursday's announcement, adding that she is looking forward to bringing "the wonder and majesty of Alaska to all Americans."

In its announcement, Discovery did not say when Palin's show would debut -- just that it would on its TLC network, which is also home to such programs as the tattoo-parlor reality series "LA Ink," "Addicted," "19 Kids & Counting," "Hoarding: Buried Alive," "Cake Boss," "Little People, Big World," and "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant."

By Lisa de Moraes  |  March 25, 2010; 9:40 AM ET
Categories:  TV News
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'American Idol': Miley and Jemi sing, Paige walks
Next: Levi Johnston vs Sarah Palin for custody of Alaska

Comments

What a media Wh*re!

Posted by: dem4life1 | March 25, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

google care2.com and sign a petition against Sarah palin being on the discovery channel. Threaten to boycott the network and its advertisers.

Posted by: majorteddy | March 25, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Can't report news about Gov. Palin without trying to sully her reputation??
Need to tie her to celebrities and try to paint her as a hypocrite?
You can't even understand her criticisms of the media, but try to portray her as "Anti-Hollywood and anti-celebrity", when she is just trying to get Non_Leftists a fair shake in the liberal dominated culture.
Nice try though, putting her in with reality stars and teen mothers, hoping people think she is just a wannabe celebrity..
Ignoring the truth behind her analysis of the media, and going for the cynical hate against Sarah Palin... Par for the course.
Are you a television critic, or a political hack?
Hate much?

Posted by: johnL1 | March 25, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but after her last statement telling the anti-health legislation group to "re-load", I hope that this is the lowest rated, most money draining series on Discovery- so that they are taught a lesson never to buy into hype again.

Posted by: poppysue85 | March 25, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

"Ignoring the truth behind her analysis of the media,"

What analysis? Do you mean her hypocritical complaining about David Letterman's jokes while defending Rush Limbaugh's satire? Or do you mean her complaining about unfairly being expected to answer questions during interviews? Or do you mean her using the media as a foil in her quest to portray herself as a victim?

If she had some actual analysis (you know, claims supported by evidence), it might be interesting to read considering that she herself is a product of the media and would not exist without it.

Posted by: writinron | March 25, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I have absolutely lost any respect I had for Discovery. I will not consume their images or products. Ever.

Posted by: swatkins1 | March 25, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Well, I won't be watching. Really, is Discovery so starved for attention it has to bring on a woman who thrives on fear-mongering? How about her response to the health care vote. Clearly her philosophy if someone beats you in a fair fight, kill 'em. Or as Congressman King put it, beat them to a pulp. Way to go Discovery. When does her program begin - during "shark week?"

Posted by: sue1047 | March 25, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Wanna see Alaska? Watch the Versus show hosted by none other than Dick Butkus. It's gorgeous, non confrontational, and, they catch 70 lb halibut with bait bigger than the fish I usually catch. And, no, I don't work for the network.

And Sister Sarah? My bumper sticker has Munch's "The Scream" on it with the tag "Palin' for Palin."

Also, I like the misspelling of her name as Paiin" on Line 4: Kinda "paying/Pain" hybrid...

Posted by: RogerRamjet2 | March 25, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Just listening to this woman is sheer torture, and I KNOW I'm not the only person who feels that way. I guess some people like looking for the "severed head" at the accident scene on the side of the road, and others don't. Those who do will watch the show. Good luck with that Discovery.

Posted by: hcpf | March 25, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm a Democrat and I love her. I view her as a strong intellegent woman. She will not run for President but she will be a strong fund raiser.

Posted by: farmsnorton | March 25, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

The Sarah Palin Show??? How could you be so desperate?... No one else wanted her and for good reason. Yesterday was the final episode for Sarah, with her bull's eye on district's throughout our country.
And what a proud moment, Sarah says RE-LOAD.. And I will not watch Discovery until Sarah is cancelled...

Posted by: suzanneabc | March 25, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

"Sarah & Todd: Too Odd"

Maybe if we're lucky, they'll catch the meltdown while the cameras are rolling.

Posted by: mattintx | March 25, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Try to catch Palin once a week -- political metamusil.

Posted by: bgreen2224 | March 25, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I'd watch if she were wearing a bathing suit.

'Course, I'll watch Saturday Night Live in May if Betty White wear's a bathing suit. I'm not picky about my eye candy or my eye boogers.

Posted by: RogerRamjet2 | March 25, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

No more tlc in my home. Then again, why wouldn't they run that idiot's show - they have the most digusting line up I've ever seen on TV.

Posted by: MrsKirby | March 25, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

FYI to johnL1: There is no such person as "Gov. Palin." There is former Gov. Palin, or Quitter Palin, or Loser Palin, or the violence-inciting clown Palin, but no Gov. Palin.

Glad to help.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | March 25, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

She's a looker, even at her advanced age. I'll bet she can read a Tele-Promp-Ter as well as, if not better than, the guy who beat McCain-Palin.

Posted by: BlueTwo1 | March 25, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

If you go to Discovery.com, there is a Contact Us option. Let them know how you feel about this decision.

Posted by: TerryMcT | March 25, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

More people will watch Palin if she appears on PlayBoyChannel rathan TLC.

Posted by: Bangkokian | March 25, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! This has to end!

Posted by: forgetthis | March 25, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

With this TLC has officially been the home of two of the most disliked women in the country (I know, there are those who like SP, but there are many who really don't like her)... If they sign that tatoo model to a contract, they'll have a trifecta!

Posted by: DCLocal20 | March 25, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Chris Cillizza will have to give up his political blog and enter the world of celebrity blogging if he is to retain his obsession with this funnymentalust pin-up.

Posted by: whocares666 | March 25, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I thought she quit being gov to be out of the limelight.... well, I guess she had her taste of it and now she can't get enough of it. Now that she has accepted her public life, she isn't entitled to a private life anymore... she can (b) itch and moan about it all she wants, but in reality, she's asking for everything she gets...

Posted by: mimo1 | March 25, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

There goes my last shred of respect for Discovery.

Posted by: esmith22015 | March 25, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I Betcha and By Gosh, Palin has reap the benefit of herself. This day mark it. I state she will develop a show about her son Tripp next. Trust she is only in it for the money remember people By Gosh I Betcha I told yous all

Posted by: access11 | March 25, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

What a bunch of sophomoric comments.Don't you all know that hate will rot your guts out? If you would expend as much energy on something that matters as you do on a documentary that really doesn't, you could change the world.

Posted by: storms48 | March 25, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Storms48: What? What hate? She sets up straw men, lights them on fire, and blames the matchbook company for the burn. Not our fault if she isn't the sharpest foot in the mouth.

We don't hate Sister Sarah; we are fascinated! Can't wait for her to go to Kotzebue and eat raw blubber!

Posted by: RogerRamjet2 | March 25, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and "hate will rot your guts out?" Wow, coming from the Teabuggery campaign to intimidate through threats and violence, your point is well taken from the Master. Thank you, Teacher.

Posted by: RogerRamjet2 | March 25, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

for someone who quit her governing job to live a more private life, seems to me she can't live without being very public. so now she has her Fox gig, her Facebook page, her daughter on ABC and her Discovery gig... not to mention her tell all rogue book... yes, sounds to me like Mrs. Palin is full of $.H. I T

Posted by: mimo1 | March 25, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

The number of comments here proves the point. She is a controversial figure who continues to make news. I don't like her but the folks at Discovery are no dummies. People will watch. Those who don't watch will comment. If your job is to win ratings - she's a sure bet.

Posted by: Roxie1 | March 25, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I blame the Whigs, personally. And Thom Jefferson and Thom Paine. And the Tom Tom Club.

Posted by: RogerRamjet2 | March 25, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

That will get an audience of 35.....

Posted by: jckdoors | March 25, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

While I normally like shows like that I won't be watching because I just can't stand listening to the souund of her voice. It's a horribly annoying timbre.

they get a little publicity to kick it off but after two episodes the novelty will wear off and viewership will fall quickly.

She will do anything to get on tv won't she?

Posted by: NoSacredCow | March 25, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin has been given a TV show on TLC. If you want to complain to the channel's ethics folks, in the U.S. and Canada call 800-398-6395. I think there is an ethical problem with someone exhorting followers to violence and at the same time being given a show on TLC. Sarah Palin should not be allowed to spread her venom and lies on television. It is a mistake to give such a person this kind of exposure.

Posted by: greeenmtns | March 25, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

The title should be "I Didn't Know I Was Stupid."

Posted by: jamesgarnerisgod | March 25, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

So, everyone here has lost respect for Discovery because Palin landed a show, but "LA Ink," "Addicted," "19 Kids & Counting," "Hoarding: Buried Alive," "Cake Boss," "Little People, Big World," and "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" are stellar examples of respectable programming.

No. I don't think so. Burnett and Palin are a step up the ladder.

Posted by: walkietalkie | March 25, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute...on The LEARNING Channel?

Posted by: SeeMcSee | March 25, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

No, really...The LEARNING Channel?

Posted by: SeeMcSee | March 25, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Anyone realizing that Palin's almost son-in-law and her grandbaby daddy spoke the truth?

People jumped all over Todd when he said she quit being governor to make a major money haul, despite her coverup and pretenses.

Anybody getting it? She's just a money ho going wherever she can make a killing -- on TV, from the air, and any Democrats she has in her crosshairs.

This is a creepy and scary time for the country.

Posted by: moorpheus | March 25, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I a Democrat who finds her to be a bright intelligent woman. She will not run for President but she will be a great fund raiser for the Republicans.

Posted by: farmsnorton | March 25, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Interesting in that state of Alaska gets second billing.

Posted by: AryeDirect | March 25, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I think it's disgusting and very unethical of the Discovery Channel considering her incendiary rhetoric. Here is a link to sign for a petition to be sent to Discovery Channel.

Posted by: Abhijit1 | March 25, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Sarah rising, Obama falling.

Good for America.

Posted by: idesign | March 25, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait to see who the sponsors will be for this gun moll. Boycotts will begin. Palin will do anything to make headlines, and I can't believe Discovery/TLC would stoop so low and be so desperate. Role model? You betcha - as a warning for those who think anybody can be POTUS, no brains or morals required. There must be something hidden in this deal that the public has not learned of - yet. Shame on Discovery/TLC for signing a mega-bucks deal with this mega-ego-maniac who is trying to incite riots as her latest stunt. Reload. Not me...is a rifle company and ammo dealer going to be part of her sponsors?

Posted by: Cali-Gram | March 25, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I really don't understand why the dimocrats are so obsessed with Palin? I don't get it!

I ultimately think that she is so attractive, especially compared to the dimocratic women, that the dimocratic men can't stand it.

Of course, I believe, and this is only my opinion, dimocratic men are gay and thus intimidated by her looks, out going personality, intelligence and success.

Afterall, she is more qualified to be president than Osama, having served 2 executive positions compared to a, ha ha ha, sorry I laughed, community organizer?

What is a community organizer, is that where you pass out fliers at a supermarket?

Posted by: jhayne5 | March 25, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

P.S. If a democratic woman had her own show it would be on Animal Planet.

Posted by: jhayne5 | March 25, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

The biggest joke is not Palin but MSNBC and their ratings. As soon as Comcast takes over,bye bye the big liar O and Maddow.

Posted by: farmsnorton | March 25, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

precisely why I don't own a TV

Posted by: IJMOToday | March 25, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Episode 1 -- Snow to the left of me, glaciers to the right of me, Russia on my doorstep.

Episode 2 -- 100 really good locations to drill, Baby, drill.

Episode 3 -- Nature's Bounty: Kill 'em, skin 'em, cook 'em.

Episode 4 -- Socialism: Why it's okay for Alaskans, but the Devil's playground for the rest of the nation.

Episodes 5-7 -- Er, these were canceled, because the hostess quit the show mid-production (cuz that's how she rolls).

Posted by: labman57 | March 25, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Join the Facebook Community that will keep track of who is sponsoring this show here:

Posted by: SFTraderSteve | March 27, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Call TLC (Teabag Lynching Channel) and tell them that the American people do not stand with TLC and Sarah from Wasilla making threats against politicians.

1. This is a formal online petition to boycott all Discovery channels:

Michael Weber
Vice President
Advertising Sales, Western Region
Phone: (310) 975-5921
Fax: (310) 203-8455

Email: AdSales_Discovery@Discovery.com

Also contact your cable subscribers and request that TLC and Discovery channel be removed from your viewing lineup.

TLC should not promote tea partying terrorist leaders like Sarah from Wasilla.
Here is Sarah from Wasilla’s facebook page “targeting” PATRIOTIC Congressional leaders.

Posted by: Gone_Rogue | March 27, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse