Lisa's Favorite Sites

Palin parody writer: NBC added laughs to Leno visit

A Maryland man who wrote a parody of Sarah Palin's autobiography and who says he and his wife flew to Los Angeles to attend the taping of Palin's appearance on NBC's "The Tonight Show" claims NBC sweetened the audience's laughter during her appearance to drown out the deafening silence, which he says was on occasion only broken by his own derisive guffawing.

Responding to Micheal Stinson's claims on the political Web site Daily Kos, NBC said Friday that "neither the audio nor the laughs were enhanced for Sarah Palin's segments on 'The Tonight Show' " this past Tuesday.

And other people we contacted who work in the industry said even if "Tonight" show did sweeten the laughter, or used "patches" of laughter from that audience to cover dead air or to smooth over edits in the show, it's not an unusual practice. Some shows do it, some don't, they said, explaining that the techniques used can be as simple as being sure to seat big laughers near microphones, to compensate for the non-laughers in the hall.

Putting on dead air, one of them noted, "would not be putting on a good product."

In his report on Daily Kos earlier this week, Stinson said: "After sitting through the taping of the show in the studio I can recount many portions where there was little or no laughter or response, but at the later broadcast they are smoothed over with applause and laughter that WERE NOT THERE at the taping. Groans, hoots, grumbling, or just dead silence - all missing."

Stinson, who lives in Ocean Pines, Md., became a Web sensation Friday after the film critic Roger Ebert tweeted about Stinson's self-described "Tonight Show" experiences.

Stinson is the author of "Going Rouge: The Sarah Palin Rogue Coloring & Activity Book," published by TBTM Media, which is a division of the Web site Take Back the Media, of which Stinson is co-founder. (He is not the author of that other Palin autobiography parody, "Going Rouge: Sarah Palin: An American Nightmare," published by Health Communications.)

Stinson also says he has a three-decades-long background in sound engineering.

"They added laughter where there was none during uncomfortable portions. Well, there was some laughter. Mine, of derision," he also wrote on the Web site. "During those pregnant pauses in her performance I was laughing long and loud, couldn't help myself as much of what she was saying was utterly surreal, ridiculous, hypocritical - nonsense spewed platitudes, pushed buttons. I was seriously thinking of leaving as it was getting hysterically unfunny."

But he didn't, because, he acknowledged to The TV Column in a telephone interview, they were there with copies of their book. "Sell, baby, sell," he said when asked what he hoped the outcome of all this would be.

"We're artists and what we mostly need money for is to make more art," he said. He and his wife brought eight copies of their book and distributed six among audience members and show crew. The other two they kept. When some in the audience rose to greet Palin, Stinson says he and his wife danced in place and jumped up and down while waving copies of the book which, he says, were not confiscated security "to their credit."

Security also did not ask them to leave when his wife continued to dance and wave the book after everyone else in the audience had sat back down, he added. They just asked her to please be seated.

When they were seated, they held the book chest high so Palin and Leno could see it. Stinson says that while no one else was laughing, he was - "very loudly."

"I was cracking up. I was ready to leave the show - I didn't want to ruin the show. Then it became fun - if nobody else was going to lauch, I'm going to laugh. I'll be on TV! I'm going to be the one going 'HAHA'," he said.

After the taping, he tweeted: "Hey, was in the belly of the beast attending taping of Palin on Tonight show, she bombed." He later retweeted, letting people know that if they watched the show they would hear his jeering laughter during dead spots in the interview and during the jokes she'd made that no one laughed at.

But when he then watched the show when NBC broadcast it Tuesday night, "I wasn't laughing . . . because selective miking during a 'live edit' or latter additions . . . ," he wrote on takebackthemedia.com, and, when that crashed after Ebert's tweet, he moved over to Daily Kos.

Feeling like he'd been made to look a liar, Stinson decided to write up his version of what NBC had done to the show.

Stinson's self-published book came out in November. He says they had not been able to properly promote it when it dropped because his wife's father had cancer.

"We weren't able to properly promote it once it got out there . . . 'Entertainment Tonight' played the cover three times - we were at a hospice while this was going on. We wanted to launch the book in a book store somewhere across from Sarah Palin, but we had to attend to a dying man. That was our life."

The other, competing Sarah Palin parody book was "kicking our butts," he said. "We would have been the No. 1 people in the field because we came out with ours before theirs, and we launched our web site before theirs. We could have sold 10 times more."

Then, NBC announced Sarah Palin was going to be one of Leno's first guests as he returned to "The Tonight Show" this week.

Stinson and his wife, Julie Sigwert, decided to go. They used frequent flier miles to travel from their home to Los Angeles to attend the taping.

He admits part of the motivation was "we wanted to escape the snow - the boredom," but adds, "There is this aura or vibe you get when you see a person, in person. We spent so much time making this book we wanted to meet the person we spent so much time writing about."
The show, he said would be "a good zone . . . it's safe for everybody. We can do a mellow protest and have a time at the same time. My wife said this is probably one of the creepiest people you'll ever be around. [My wife] is really good at vibes."

By Lisa de Moraes  |  March 5, 2010; 5:14 PM ET
Categories:  TV News
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Four more go home on 'American Idol'
Next: 41.3 million watch 'Hurt Locker' clobber 'Avatar' at Oscars

Comments

Laughtrack-gate?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 5, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I have no use for Sarah Palin, but I don't think I like this guy much either.

Posted by: justmike | March 5, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I really love Palin for representing all the uninformed idiocy in today's Republican Party. I hope she continues to be the shrill, uninformed voice she is.

Having said that, I watched her on Leno and genuinely enjoyed all but one of her jokes. She carried her monologue off well. Her timing was good. She was funny. Hence I disagree that her performance was poor.

May she continue to entertain us through the years ahead, and may the gods never crown her with our presidency. lol

Posted by: HillRat | March 5, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Stinson didn't know about audience sound tracks? Sounds like he is really dumb.

Posted by: sportsfan2 | March 5, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

The "tolerant compassionate" left is on the loss again.

Posted by: sonofliberty09 | March 5, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Neither are funny or stimulating. They needed to add canned laughter to prevent people from falling asleep or vomiting.

Posted by: revbookburn | March 5, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know they did that, and I've been to a Letterman taping.

Posted by: kls1 | March 5, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I am the very last person one would find defending Palin the Pittbull in Lipstick, but this guys seems like a real jerk. Maybe the other folks weren't laughing because they were too busy being distracted by him. Idiot, do you know how dumb you sound? Sorta like the Pot calling the Kettle Black!!

Posted by: Beingsensible | March 5, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Another leftie here to show the rubes how clever and with it he is. Flew to California for a TV program, so he could laugh out loud at a high profile conservative he dislikes. Get a life, you moron.

Posted by: Major94 | March 5, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

The Stinson's need to get a life.

Posted by: BaracksTeleprompter | March 5, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Don't care about Palin. But Stinson presents himself as a really creepy person, one who may need long-term professional medical help.

He is a good fit for the lefties.

Posted by: Tupac_Goldstein | March 5, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

This guy and his wife are IDIOTS !!

Posted by: maddogjts | March 5, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

That was one night where I was glad that I fell asleep after I got home just to wake up in time to watch my first Leno show since he's been back on with Sarah Palin as the guest no less. I thought she was funny, especially considering she is not a professional comedian. This guy sounds like he is stalking Sarah Palin and his wife sounds like a real hater too. Why are so many people so jealous and obsessed with bringing Sarah Palin down? I especially liked the joke about the ammunition. She's definitely got that! Keep smiling, Sarah Palin!

Posted by: SusanMarie2 | March 5, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

This guy and his wife are morons. The dictionary defines moron and idiot the same way... a stupid person.

Posted by: steve90 | March 5, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Is this guy for real? The left should lock him up somewhere before he single-handedly destroys their movement.

Posted by: storms48 | March 5, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

"techniques used can be as simple as being sure to seat big laughers near microphones"

Now wait. These shows have a different audience every night, right? How do they tell the difference between big laughers and people who attended for the sole purpose of mocking the guest when assigning seats? Does Janet Napolitano personally conduct a background investigation on the laughing propensities of everyone who gets through the door?

Posted by: douglaslbarber | March 5, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

A man who parodies a woman who ran for Vice President is the source of this article about that woman.

The National Enquirer has more journalistic integrity than the Post!

Posted by: mgd1 | March 5, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow, what losers!

Posted by: fishcandy | March 5, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

If you could hear Sarah Palin's thoughts it would sound like this: "I want to be a pretty, pretty prncess. No. Wait. I want to be vice president. No. Wait. I want to be president. Well maybe. No. I want to be a pop star. I know. I want to be a talk show host 'cuz I'm a good talking head. Rupert Murdock says I am. I want to...OH LOOK! SOMETHING SHINEY!

Posted by: bfjackjernigan | March 5, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

What you don't tell your Post readers, is that in this same blog, this man (who traveled 6,000 miles to attend the show to see Palin) displays a very disturbing case of sexually charged anger at her. He wrote:

"While NBC Sold Palin, she sold her body, jiggling, teasing, pushing the cutesy-pie, what we used to call in the military, a "prick tease". She short circuits brains, deflects the fact that most of what she says is nonsense or hateful, as lizard layers of right wing men's brains hum a sexual fantasy tune, and women who have thrown all sense of propriety to the wind, watching her strip, want to be just like her. Rich. Stupid. The sweet "Bite Me" b$#@! attitude she's honed to an art form. No, she doesn't just "wink" - she uses her whole body to sell the package. Turn off the sound, just watch her body language. I find it whorish, repulsive and I'm no prude."

This man sounds like nut-job/stalker to me...especially since he also claims that she KNEW he was in the audience and was staring at him.

Posted by: Georgia7 | March 5, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

This article is really long. Who cares if his mother-in-law had cancer? Why did I just read that thing. WtF?

Posted by: kenk3 | March 5, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

disgusting biach and disgusting network

Posted by: johng1 | March 5, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I love Palin when she makes the leftist's panties wad, which is all the time, ROFL.

Posted by: Maxim49 | March 5, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

People who watch Leno and like Palin deserve each other.

Posted by: jimestw | March 5, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who would waste flyer miles on SP
is a real idiot

Posted by: mangonut | March 5, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

jim, yes, happy people deserve each other!

Posted by: SusanMarie2 | March 5, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I saw Sarah Palin's standup act and have to admit that it was moderately funny. Not as funny as when she is trying to sound like an informed, intelligent and qualified political leader, but funny nonetheless.

It sounds like this guy Stinson is just trying to create a ruckus to garner sales for his stupid book. We (and the Post) shouldn't waste our breath on him.

Posted by: tomguy1 | March 5, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Susan Marie, you've changed my mind. In the tradition of Reagan and George W., we should expect nothing more of our presidents than stupid and happy.

Posted by: jimestw | March 5, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

From laughing stock to stock laughter.

Posted by: mandrake | March 5, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Even if I was given free tickets to see Palin, I wouldn't have used them and this fool buys 2 plane tickets to see her? I don't know which one is the bigger idiot.

Posted by: AverageJane | March 5, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

If Stinson was a right winger attacking Obama, most of the media would not give him the time of day.

The more liberal media will report any attack on Sarah Palin without regard to the facts. If it makes her look bad they go with it.

The reason the news media is fading away is that journalist standards have been dumped in order to creat the most sensational stories possible.

Posted by: wj_phillips | March 5, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

no dog in this hunt, but the Stinson's don't sound very smart, or interesting, or well...as though they'll sell many more books as a result

Posted by: daustin7 | March 5, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I've been laughin' at Palin for a long time.
===========================================
Typical con man using someone to make money. Stinson is the south end of a north walking horse.-Posted by: wj_phillips
------------------------------------------
Samuel Clemons did a pretty good Mark Twain but as far as I know no one else including Richard Brimley has.

Posted by: Emmetrope | March 5, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Look, Sarah Palin is an idiot, but this story and this guy are making her look like a true genius . . . and I'm saying that about a woman that writes crib notes on her hand.

Micheal Stinson traveled to LA to intentionally inject "jeering laughter?" I'm rarely shocked at how stupid some people act, but this story is actually a special example of complete idiocy.

Get a life Stinson. Seriously.

Posted by: webmonarch | March 5, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Jay leno show is yet another indication of how right-wing US media is from one end to another. I mean here Leno brings on the most right-wing of Republican lunatics palin and she says that "Fox is balanced and fair.." the exact opposite of which is true and he does not say anything in response to this utter lie! Why does'nt him or others like him bring people on whom are ultra Liberals to talk about why Universal nationalized single payer health care is the ONLY way to operate health care And that is why all European countries, Canada, Japan, Australia, Israel, in fact all developed nations and many developing nations too operate health care on one form or another of Universal Nationalized basis. This last statement alone should prove beyond any shadow of doubt as to what lunatics, really what enemy of American people, Republicans are to be against Universal Nationalized Health Care, given that all developed nations in the World have Universal Nationalized Health Care, given that the Conservative parties in UK, Germany, Canada, Israel, etc. all our 100% for their Universal Nationalized Health Care.

More on how right-wing entire US Media is:

More Universal Nationalized Health Care being only way to operate health care:

So I am never watching that right-wing stooge Leno again. As for me John Stewart and Colbert are the only shows I watch that time of night because they are only ones that are actually dealing with facts.

Posted by: RealNews1 | March 5, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

She's a publicity hound. So is he. So's his wife. And the Post enables both of them. End of story.

Posted by: herzliebster | March 5, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

"We're artists and what we mostly need money for is to make more art," he said.

Jackasses more like it.

Posted by: crumppie | March 5, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I think this guy is about as creepy as you can get...
Palin came out of this article as someone who has been followed around by some maniac..
All of this makes you want to have a shower...what kind of people spend their lives living vicariously through someone they never even met??? This is a dangerous world indeed!

Posted by: huntyrella | March 5, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

What's there to say, besides Stinson's self-congratulatory hubris and love affair with his "har-har" humor make Sarah Palin look like a Rhodes scholar bookworm. Does he French-kiss his mirror's reflection every morning?

And he doesn't even appreciate the irony of what he admitted -- that people stood up to greet her while he tries to intercept with his own trash. And did he attract the flock? NO! ROTFLMAO!

What a jerk.

Posted by: Loryjones | March 5, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Brainless, useless, nasty parasites... lefties.

Posted by: tropicalfolk | March 5, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

To: Lisa de Moraes and the Washington Post

By reprinting this "nonsense" from the Daily Kos website, which NBC and others have clearly stated was not true, you and the Washington Post have verified that you are simply mouth organs for the progressive movement. At least the National Enquirer has some journalist scruples. You and the Washington Post have none. Shame.

Posted by: John_Frank | March 5, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

This is a really long article about a guy who wrote an unpopular book.

Posted by: brian_away | March 5, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Wow...ummm..this guy needs to line up and take a ticket next to Balloon Boy's parents and the White House Gate Crashers for self-promoting freaks of the year.

Oh, wait, those people were last year? Never mind. This guy wins the award.

Posted by: blert | March 6, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

I sat in on a number of Tonight Show tapings during the Carson era. I can personally attest that as an audience member one feels responsible in an odd way to laugh and clap at the right times so that the show WON'T be embarrassingly silent. I wouldn't be surprised if the producers DID sweeten those tapings with extra canned laughter. Talk shows are entertainment first and foremost; any correspondence with reality is purely incidental.

Posted by: kukisvoomchor | March 6, 2010 12:50 AM | Report abuse

If Christ returned as a woman named Sarah Palin... you would crucify her

(I am not supposing he has or is) but the way the media treats her follows the methods of Lucifer not Jesus

Posted by: Obama_TRAITOR_in_Chief | March 6, 2010 12:58 AM | Report abuse

Are you trying to punk us?

Wow you have really dropped to a new low, helping a loser promote a bad joke of a rip-off piece by claiming the person responsible for his only 15 minutes of lame fame is that his wife gets these vibs...

WashPo, time to redirect this column to tmz.com

Joe

Posted by: JoeSmith3 | March 6, 2010 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Leno and NBC giving Palin even more undeserved attention ... kind of made me find something else to do instead of watching Leno and very little ever on NBC.

Posted by: paris1969 | March 6, 2010 1:05 AM | Report abuse

A trio of clowns, Palin and the Stinson's, looking for their 15 mins.

Posted by: BEEPEE | March 6, 2010 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Interesting how many see this man is wrong for not only attacking a woman but a former VP candidate and say he should show more respect. Yet it seems attacking President Obama is ok and many feel they have a right to freedom of speech. It seems Sarah is due more respect then the President of the United States of America. Why? US history has shown we're had woman running for President or VP since 1800 yet Americans think Sarah Palin is special and even unqualified she should get the job because she's down to earth. Sarah is working the public for finanical gain and will continue as long as people pay. Sarah has major legal bills and no full time job. Her book didn't sell well, so she is now looking for a TV show and quickly writing another book.

Posted by: qqbDEyZW | March 6, 2010 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Who travels across the country to be in the audience of a 1-hour show?
Who does that?
According to NBC it takes 4 – 6 weeks.

Without tickets in hand someone could get in IF there were open seats.

Lets see if this passes the “Laugh test”

Some guy in Maryland, upon hearing Palin would be on Leno show March 2, buys 2 round trip tickets to LA with the “HOPE” 2 seats would be open for this one-hour show?

Who does this?

That makes about as much sense for me to
Hop on a plane in San Diego.

Fly to Philadelphia.

Take a taxi from the airport to Broad Street, only to see if there are any open seats on the 4:15 bus?

That would be a little nutty.

Not saying this guy is lying but if he’s telling the truth he is one sick puppy.

Posted by: dschoen1 | March 6, 2010 5:20 AM | Report abuse

Nor would faking it.
What would be the up side for NBC to alter the show or add some sound tracks?
If NBC add a Laugh track, it would be a ding on NBC not Palin.

Posted by: dschoen1 | March 6, 2010 5:26 AM | Report abuse

I must say, I found this behavior to be absolutely reprehensible and borderline anti-social. Seriously, giving Leno another show? Something's just not right there.

Posted by: trupin | March 6, 2010 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Three things:
Since when is Daily Kos a source for news?
And this guy and his wife sound like deranged money grubbing stalkers. His sexual comments about Palin were particularly strange and disgusting. Does the Post want to be implicit in this kind of activcity?
Finally, Palin wasn't very clever but TV shows use applause signs and canned laughter all the time, even for the big name comics. No big deal.

The whole story is a pathetic attempt to help this idiot couple sell their...coloring book...how appropriate.

Posted by: deanna1 | March 6, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I had real doubts about the story Michael Stinson is telling - before I read the comments here - and now I'm convinced that Mr. Stinson is a storyteller. A poor storyteller, mind you.

Are we really to believe that Mr. and Mrs. Stinson travelled from Maryland to California just to be in the audience for Sarah Palin's Jay Leno appearance? To laugh derisively and, maybe, GIVE AWAY, a few copies of "Going Rouge"? I doubt if many of the people in George Noory's audience would believe that.

My suspicion is that this story - Palin bombing with the Leno audience - is about as factual as the story about her at the Oscar bun toss.

Credibility is a terrible thing to lose, and, with every attempt - like this one - to discredit Sarah Palin - the left and the MSM lose a little bit more of whatever credibility they still have left. Pity?

Posted by: Durocher1 | March 6, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe there are really people like this in the world. I would never fly across the country to see someone I didn't like just so that I could try and make them feel uncomfortable. These people have a sickness and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near Sarah Palin. As for his accusations that NBC added a laugh track to her monologue, that is one of the dumbest conspiracy theories I've ever heard. That just proves that she killed. Even Jon Stewart acknowledged that, and this is what he does for a living. This guy and his wife need serious help if their life mission is to destroy Sarah Palin. It's only politics, people, get a freaking life!

Posted by: bellagrazi | March 6, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

What is truly laugh-track-able is... you care about this. You really, really care about this.

Posted by: beaker55 | March 6, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

"Responding to Micheal Stinson's claims on the political Web site Daily Kos, NBC said Friday that 'neither the audio nor the laughs were enhanced for Sarah Palin's segments on The Tonight Show this past Tuesday.' "

Definition of "enhanced" as it pertains to this: "increased or intensified in value...or quality".

So, technically, NBC is correct.

However, what Michael Stinson was protesting was not an increase or an intensified value of laughter and clapping that was present, he was protesting DUBBING laughing and clapping where there was NONE.

That's not "enhancement", that's addition of something that wasn't there to begin with.

Posted by: kayjay503 | March 6, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Someone in my family gave me "The Sarah Palin Rogue Coloring and Activity Book" by husband and wife team Julie Sigwart and Michael Stinson for Christmas last year.

I thought it was very funny. The artwork was hilarious, and the scenes so apropros of Sarah Palin!

My guess is that most people here panning Sigwart and Stinson or their book haven't seen the book or don't have a sense of humor.

Or are Palin fans.

Posted by: kayjay503 | March 6, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

I was also in the studio audience for that taping -- and can state categorically that the Palin-stalker who manufactured this "laugh track conspiracy" is DEAD WRONG!

Stinson's entire case is based on the difference between what he remembers hearing AROUND HIM (in the studio audience) -- and what he later heard in the complete soundtrack BROADCAST (to the audience at home).

Assuming that his memory is better than his objectivity, this difference COULD be true -- but is IRRELEVANT to his claim that NBC "doctored" the sound to make Governor Palin look good.

As he ought to know, the complete audio feed broadcast to the audience at home came from MANY microphones placed throughout the studio.

What Stinson may have heard around him was not necessarily picked up by the microphones around him.

And, vice versa. He may not have heard everything that was happening in OTHER parts of the (rather large) studio audience.

Stinson claims that he remembers hearing "many portions where there was little or no laughter or response, but at the later broadcast they are smoothed over with applause and laughter that WERE NOT THERE at the taping."

And he says that the "Groans, hoots, grumbling, or just dead silence" that he DID hear are all missing from the broadcast version.

He was apparently sitting on the far left side (naturally!) of the studio, over by the house band.

I was sitting almost dead center, uncharacteristically for a "right winger" like me. (At least I will ADMIT my bias!)

Personally, remember hearing virtually ALL of laughter and cheers that were in the final broadcast version of Governor Palin's interview and monologue.

Maybe that's because I was surrounded by Palin supporters. Maybe not.

But, I personally heard NONE of Stinson's alleged "groans and grumblings" in opposition to her appearance.

And, from where I was sitting, I also did not personally seeing him dancing around with his cartoon books.

It MAY have happened. I just did not see it myself -- and I was there.

Occam's razor applies here: "When you see hoof prints think HORSES -- not ZEBRAS."

That is, the simplest answer that fits all the facts is generally the best. :o)

And the SIMPLEST answer here is that the anti-Palin jeers were outnumbered by the pro-Palin cheers -- and the COMPLETE audio feed, from the ENTIRE studio audience, reflects that reality.

No sinister conspiracy theories are required.

NEXT time, Mr. Stinson, if you want to be sure that the sounds from your side make it into the final audio broadcast, BRING MORE DISRUPTORS.

And, NEXT time, Washington Post -- please at least TRY to find more than one (clearly biased) source before running this kind of easily-refuted trash.

For MY "eyewitness" report, click here:

Sarah Palin's secret "laugh track" machine at Jay Leno show:
makes Adam Lambert fans like her, too!

Ron Smith (aka "RonDog" on FreeRepublic.com)

Posted by: ronsmithx1 | March 7, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

ronsmithx1, in the middle of your commentary, I think you got the right of it (forgive the pun): "Maybe that's because I was surrounded by Palin supporters."

I would imagine Palin didn't "waste" the value of her 20-person entourage of aides, friend and family, so she had them in the audience -- lucky you, you were right in the middle of them.

It's not a bit surprising that during Palin's attempts at humor (not really "stand up", not if she was reading off cue cards) the main audio mikes were over the center of the audience, over the one known enclave of Palin fans (and relatives).

In the din of that center-front group, I imagine it would have been very difficult for you to discern the lack of similar din elsewhere in the audience.

In other words, I think in your limited field of observation you were correct about what you heard, and Michael Stinson's less-overwhelmed senses observed the overall audience reactions more accurately and correctly.

Posted by: kayjay503 | March 10, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse