Lisa's Favorite Sites

'American Idol' tackles Lennon & McCartney tunes

[Note from Lisa: Siobhan's song-name mistake corrected. It was a long night -- that's my story and I'm sticking with it.]

Another John Lennon-Paul McCartney night on "American Idol."

'Idol' contestant Siobhan Magnus sings "Nothing's Going to Change My World." (Michael Becker -- Fox) Click image to see more photos from last night's show.

After the traditional verbal brawl between show host Ryan Seacrest and outgoing judge Simon Cowell -- this time in re whether the Idolettes should change up their Beatles tunes or stick to the script -- teen Aaron Kelly kicks things off, singing a "Long and Winding Road" that's more like "Fighting to Stay Awake on this Long and Winding Road.' And yet, the Mosh Pit Chicks feel compelled to do The Wave. Aaron apparently has taken the judges' advice to believe in the lyrics too literally. He says he picked this tune because the whole 'Idol' thing has been a long and winding road for him, and we're getting the strong impression that at this stage in the competition Aaron's mostly ready for a long nap. The four judges recite various versions of "Every week it's the same performance/you've got to become young and relevant" speech and put him to bed.

After explaining to Seasbiscuit that five guys have asked her to be their prom date and she's going with whichever can prove he has texted in the most votes for her in the singing competition, Katie Stevens sings the no-worries anthem, "Let It Be" but with a little country twist on it. Her performance is calm and controlled. Smart girl: Katie has grasped two of the bedrock principles of success on 'Idol': 1) give the judges a story arc they can peg you with, and 2) Listen to Simon. Judge Kara DioGuardi fills in the story arc, saying Katie is "blossoming on that stage" right before our very eyes. Judge Simon Cowell notes she's fought he way back from a run in the Bottom 3. He also points out that she listened to his advice to go "country" instead of pop/R&B like Kara and judge Randy Jackson advised her. Against all evidence, Kara and Randy shout out that Katie did do the tune R&B. No growth for those two, thank you very much.

Andrew Garcia's arrangements are always like Siobhan Magnus's outfits: mismatched - but not in the daft, loveable Siobhan way. Here it is again: a bluesy/folksy rendition but fronting a very loud big band on "Can't Buy Me Love." On the bright side, the band drowns out a lot of his vocals. Judge Ellen The Generous loves it but we suspect she's in a good mood mainly because she gets to let fly one of the jokes she's prepared in advance for the night: "First of all, you can buy love ... Right, Simon?" The other judges nick the performance. "You and the band together kind of got this all wrong tonight," Simon says, summing things up nicely.

Michael Lynche says he is going to sing "Eleanor Rigby" because it's a tune he performed back in the day when he was part of his family band. His family band, he says, was called The Lynche Mob. Nobody bats an eye. It's an interesting performance: "Eleanor Rigby" in the style of Tom Jones. The Judges Minus Simon love it. Kara insists he made the tune "commercial today." But Simon says it sounded like a performance from a musical -- the opposite of contemporary. Then we're treated to a rare instance of Randy verbally outmaneuvering Simon: Randy says musicals ARE contemporary just look at 'Idol'-network Fox's other musical show, "Glee." Simon begins to tap dance backwards, with "We're saying the same thing," and, later, seconding Randy's " 'Glee's' big. We like 'Glee'." Team player! Seabiscuit delivers his stock Idolette question: "How do you make sense of this conflicting advice?" But Mike fails to deliver the stock answer: "I just try to be me," and forges off in a brave new direction: "I'm thinking Simon wants to challenge me to a pec contest!"

Crystal Bowersox may have a cold but she's still coming on like a young Bonnie Raitt. Okay, maybe not that interesting a voice, but still like Raitt's good story-telling voice. She's paired with a man playing a didgeridoo, the giant flute-like instrument of the Australian aborigines. You can only hear it at the start of the song before it gets drowned out, though the musician gamely keeps blowing his lung out on it. The judges love the performance, love the didgeridoo. Simon says Crystal is "true to yourself ... that's why it's working". Then she goes into bonus overtime: They call out the didgeridoo player and Crystal gets to pose arms around this grandfatherly-but-cool guy while we learn that he's a freelancer who picked up the instrument for the first time just for this show. Yes, Crystal got somebody a job!

"All My Lovin'" is a good song choice for Tim Urban -- an uncomplicated 60s-style pop ditty, and if there's anything Tim should stick to, it's uncomplicated. In fact, his performance is just barely good enough to trigger a gusher of remorse from the judging table for making him their whipping boy these many weeks. Kara says this performance "feels more honest" and he "should be commended" for putting up with barbs and sincerely trying to take their advice. Simon goes way over the top, saying "it actually sounds very current, what you just did," which is transparently untrue and makes you think the judges had huddled and game-planned this whole thing in advance. "I like that you take the criticism like a man, there's no whining ...You've handled yourself really well," Simon coos. The weekly Tim beat-down has been a cornerstone of this season of "Idol," raising concern that if they're going soft on him, the whole structure may collapse from an overload of niceness. We blame Ellen.

It's a breakout night for Casey James doing "Jealous Guy," a John Lennon tune from his "Imagine" era. A little gravely, a little sweet, a pause for some emotion -- Casey's got some range under that hair! He's knocking down two major 'Idol' point-getters tonight: authenticity and growth. Ellen The Generous calls it his best performance to date. Kara reminds him how she and Ellen told him to push himself last week and this week he did! Simon says that the difference from two weeks ago "has been absolutely ginormous," which we think is a new "growth" superlative for "Idol" -- certainly for Simon. And Seabiscuit wraps it up by giving the text-message number "if you want to vote for Casey and his authenticity."

Siobhan Magnus takes the stage with her Rubik's cube approach to fashion. What is this? A 16th century tavern wench taking ballet lessons in boxing shoes? We give up. She sings "Across the Universe" in a manner that's almost Bjork-kind of weird, yet sweet and pure. The Judges Minus Simon seem kinda befuddled by the whole thing and fall back on various iterations of "you should always honor who you are." Simon winds up Siobhan's time up with one of his I'll-let-you-hang-yourself gambits, asking Siobhan for her personal connection to the song, but the conversation takes a surprise turn, as she explains tearfully that the song was a message for her sisters that no matter what happens on 'Idol,' she remains true to her family. Simon, who was expecting some muddled response to his question, has to quickly rearrange his opinion in the face of the depth of her emotion. "What's great about you is that you are unpredictable," he says.

Lee Dewyze doing "Hey, Jude" starts off really pitchy. But he looks happier than we've ever seen him before. He invites the audience to sing the "na na na" bits with him. Yes, Lee is coming out of his shell -- 'Idol' therapy is showing results! Then major distraction hits: a Scots bagpiper comes down the American Idol Stairway to Paradise. Was there some 'Idol' espionage going on last week? Did Lee spot the didgeridoo player and run out to get his own ethnic wind player? The Judges Minus Simon love it. Ellen The Generous praises him for "the confidence you showed." Why are Lee's interviews with the judges starting to feel like a panel of shrinks setting him up for release from the sanitarium? "I don't know what you lot are drinking in the ['Idol'] house" to come up with a digierdoo and a bagpipe in the same evening, " says Simon, adding, "I wouldn't have done that. You were doing great, then the bagpipe player came down the stair case ... like he turned up on the wrong show."

"Was it your idea?" Simon asks Lee. Lee says confidently
"Yeah, 100 percent," Lee smiles, confidently.
We think our boy is cured.

Never miss another "American Idol" after-show analysis. Text "IDOL"
to 98999 to have a link to Lisa de Moraes's blog post sent directly to
your phone.

By Lisa de Moraes  |  April 7, 2010; 7:01 AM ET
Categories:  "American Idol"
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: White House "Glee" performance "surreal" says co-creator
Next: ABC announces three scripted series for summer

Comments

Correction: Siobhan's song is titled "Across the Universe"

Posted by: peppaint | April 7, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

I believe the individual who holds the job of critiquing the performers of American Idol should have a great deal of Music History behind them, i.e. like knowing the title of the Classic song Siobhan Magnus performed. Which by the way was performed beautifully, only a moron with zero music sense would call this song boring.

Posted by: drsettimi | April 7, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

My 13-year-old knows that was "Across the Universe." Are you kidding me?

Posted by: ummm2 | April 7, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

With the judges praising both Tim and Katie, the leading candidates for elimination, it might make for the possibility of an unexpected elimination of somebody who has never been in the bottom three.

Lee Dewyze wins this weeks David Archuleta/ Danny Gokey award for undeserved praise over a mediocre performance. I thought Lee was very pitchy, mainly because he was screaming the lyrics rather than singing them.

I was disappointed with both Aaron Kelly and Andrew Garcia. Aaron was boring as usual. I question whether Aaron can sing well at high volume. He never goes into that extra gear. He clearly hasn't read from the Danny Gokey playback. Sing softly in the begining, belt it out at the end.

I have given up on Andrew Garcia. This was the same type of song as Heard It Throught The Grape Vine.

Crystal Bowersox was my favorite, again. Hardly an original thought.

I have discovered a way to improve my Idol watching experience. It requires the use of a DVR. I hit the 30 second fast forward button any time Seacrest starts asking questions. This can occur at the beginning of the show when Ryan asks time killing questions to the judges (ex "What do the performers need to do this week to stand out"), or after the judges review of an Idol(ette) performance when Ryan comes on stage to irritate and exacerbate.

Posted by: niceshoes1 | April 7, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Top three, descending:
Casey
Siobhan
Crystal

Mediocre middle, descending:
Katie
Michael
Tim (amazingly enough)

Bottom three, descending:
Lee
Aaron
Andrew

Andrew is almost certainly going home tonight. Lee won't actually be in the bottom three, but his performance really wasn't very good.

Posted by: Duodenum | April 7, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

First of all, nobody who thinks "Across the Universe" is called "Nothing's Going to Change my World" should be permitted to write about Idol for The Washington Post.

That aside, I think the main problem last night was that the contestants were plagued by poor song choices. I knew before the show started that anyone who sang, for instance, The Long and Winding Road, was going to be in trouble. That song was corny when Paul sang it, let alone these guys. Notice that six of the nine songs sang were Paul songs, and three were John's, two of which were the best of the night.

Paul's songs are deceivingly well-suited to Idol becasue they are more poppy and melodic, but they are also more corny if not sung perfectly. More should have considered John's songs, which actually leave a little more room for error in a competition like this.

Posted by: daveman_84 | April 7, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I don't get Lee or Siobhan's appeal. I find them uncomfortable to listen to because you never know if they are going to hit the right note. Casey and Crystal should (but probably won't)be the last two standing. Also, Lisa really should fix that title mistake - it is distracting.

Posted by: barbnc | April 7, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a fan of most of the Beatle songs and wasn't looking forward to last night. That said, they all did a decent enough job. I liked Siobhan's performance a lot - never heard of the song and the crankies in this blog that are so DISTRACTED and so PUT OUT by what Lisa called the song need to get lost. What a bunch of ninnies. Crystal did well, I didn't care for Lynch's performance one bit. I actually like Katie's voice so I hope she survives tonight. Tim should go but probably won't. Andrew could go, he's just not that good.

Posted by: MrsKirby | April 7, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Simon's sweetie cupcake is in trouble this week. Targon was solid as usual and I also enjoyed Casey and Katie was okay. Lee is still my favorite, except for the bagpipes. But overall I think Timjaya this is finally your week to say goodbye...

Posted by: ozpunk | April 7, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Ah, give Lisa a break, guys. She does a phenomenal job entertaining us week after week and really puts thought into everything she writes. Yeah, she put the wrong song title. So what? Everyone makes mistakes. And honestly, "Nothing's Gonna Change My World" is by far the most iconic line from that song. So lay off.

As far as what I thought...

Katie
Siobhan
Crystal
Casey
Michael
Tim
Lee
Aaron
Andrew

But overall I thought they were all pretty great this week. The Top 5 on my list in particular were very neck-and-neck, and I may have overranked Katie/underranked Casey.

Posted by: KevinOK | April 7, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

It was a pretty good night for everybody, but the judges' game plan must be to keep Lee around for as long as possible--- he was horrific last night, yet they didn't call him out on anything. He got the interval wrong on the first two notes of the song, then later dropped an entire verse. He was out of tune and out of breath--- they shoulda ripped him.

Posted by: Regis09 | April 7, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Yeah people, give Lisa a break. I had no idea what Siobhan's song was called and had never heard it before. I am one of those people who feel mostly "meh" about Beatles tunes and was truly fearful about watching last night. But really. There was nothing else on, and after finding out pretty early on that Niecy Nash was safe over on DWTS, I was able to devote my entire attention to the Idolettes.
I was BLOWN away by Casey, and he has not been one of my favorites. In fact, this was the first performance this season I actually downloaded on iTunes. I always thought that was a Bryan Ferry song, but Casey's version was even better.
Crystal was great, as was Katie, finally. My husband and I laughed out loud when the bagpiper came down the "Adam Lambert" staircase during Lee's performance. Until the smoke cleared, I really expected Adam to be joining Lee, and how awesome would that have been? Honestly, I thought it was a joke. My husband and I agreed it would have been cool if the bagpiper had just been there from the beginning as part of the band... And just wearing jeans and a t shirt-- not parade-wear.
Finally, at the risk of death threats, I have to get this off my chest. I just don't get the Siobhan mystique. I think her vocals are just ok. I don't find her voice unique at all, the screeching she has done does not excite me, and I don't think she's "unpredictable'". The judges are trying to make us believe she's this season's Adam Lambert and I'm sorry I'm not buying it. The judges were WAAAY too easy on her last night. She was horrible. Whew, that felt great.
And why did no one sing my only favorite Beatles song-- Back in the USSR? That song rocks. Andrew should have done that one.
Peace out.

Posted by: tmeintermedia | April 7, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Just to show how everyone cna hear things differently this is my order, which is way different than the others...

Crystal
Tim (I can't believe I said that)
Lee
Andrew
Aaron
Katie
Siobahn
Michael
Casey

thought alot of the song choices were to slow....zzzzzzz

Posted by: sivwiz | April 7, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I thought Carly Smithson's cover of "Come Together" a couple of seasons ago was so far superior to Crystal's - yet, she, too, Must Not Be Named. Both she, and Allison Irahita, IMO, had the best voices their seasons but couldn't seem to win the popularity contest. And I think both were better singers than Siobhan, who still waxes nasal when she tries to be quiet.

If I have to choose, I choose nasal over holleration - but can't she get some vocal coaching on this show - and why does no judge ever mention this?

Posted by: jqw3827 | April 7, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

First of all, seriously who cares if Lisa got the song title wrong? It's not that big of a deal considering we can all use that thing called the I N T E R N E T to look up the correct title. Second, I am NOT a fan of the Beatles music and most of the songs were meh for me. Siobhan sucks! I don't get why so many people think her voice is so great. She screeches almost every performance and is not interesting. Wearing hideous outfits does not make someone interesting to me. For her performance last night I actually fell asleep. I enjoyed Casey, Crystal, Lee (pitchy or not, at least it was entertaining) and Michael. I'd really like to see Aaron go as he offers nothing for me week to week.

Posted by: too_through | April 7, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

LMAO at "Ethnic Wind Player." Awesome as always, Lisa!

Posted by: allie1012 | April 7, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Crystal
Tim (I can't believe I said that)
Lee
Andrew
Aaron
Katie
Siobahn
Michael
Casey

thought alot of the song choices were to slow....zzzzzzz

Posted by: sivwiz | April 7, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Lisa nailed it. Siobhan="millenial" version of Bjork. That should be who she is as an artist.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, daveman_84, but as corny as it is "Long and Winding Road" is one of the few Beatles' tunes I really like. Mostly because I associate it with the Melba Moore cover which still moves me emotionally...and Aaron almost held that last note nearly as long as Melba does (which is rare for someone not operatically trained). Even so, I think Aaron and Andrew are going to be the bottom 2 with Aaron leaving.

Posted by: SheldonAlexandria | April 7, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I am hoping for Lee and Siobhan to be the final 2. I believe Aaron or Andrew will leave tonight. Tim is too popular with the girls. Why is Ellen on AI? Bring back Paula for goodness sakes !

Posted by: maris1 | April 7, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Michael Jackson's version of Come Together is the best. No one did it better than him. YouTube it. :) Having said that, Crystal did a good job. My favorite of the night was Casey. He has it all, looks, voice, talent, attitude. I hope he wins the whole thing!

Posted by: pina3 | April 7, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

"the force is lacking with this one." is almost all you have to say about Master Aaron, we all appreciate that he is trying to sing his heart out but he is no Justin Bieber. But when the world needed her most Katie came to stop the Darkside of my eyelids. Her performance left me with no worries. " Andrew Andrew you can't buy love, but you can sure leave people scratching their heads after you sing." But fortunately we have Tim who actually is all hair, you could see him on one of those hair thingy shows like " shear Genius but not Idol " Some advice to Tim Just slide to the Mosh pit. Ol Mama Sox is Head and shoulders above all the other singers, really no would dare go near those dreads Shave before they take over. Then in a flash of flowers and fruit there was Nature boy Casey. His song choice was pretty good, But "it didn't rally have a moment." Siobhan I think was really going for the whole Mad world moment after all she is a Lambert.Then came a show jumping Bag pipist who stole the spot light from Mama's didgeridoo So Leeheehee watch your back because you might wake up impaled by some dreadlocks .

Baby bot (son of Buffy bot age:13

Posted by: buffybot | April 7, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Casey, we hardly knew ye. That was superb.

And I think I love you.

Posted by: ILoveToSinga | April 7, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Ok - I am trying to be gentle and understanding (yes it has been a long night and all that), but what has occurred with the quality of writing and inherent knowledge at the Washington Post?? "Across the Universe" is an iconic song, that has inspired many artists, a self titled movie that has generated lots of interest, and NASA (sending the song to the outer reaches of our solar system recently). If this was a column for a High School paper I would understand, even though it would be used as a learning experience. The Post??

Posted by: billlaplante | April 7, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

billaplante, what part of your message is gentle and understanding? I look forward to Lisa's column almost more than the show itself -- not for her knowledge of arcane music (and yes, for today's generation, Beatles songs are arcane), but for her wit and insight. With all of your knowledge of iconic songs, you're reduced to making snarky comments in a blog, so cut some slack to the person who makes us laugh a couple of times a week and gives us a forum to share our views in a mostly non-confrontational manner.

On to the show. I'd love to see a Siobhan and Crystal final -- love their individuality and talent. Hard for me to admit, but Michael is the most talented guy -- I just have trouble getting past the wanna-be gangster act (after he was saved last night, he strutted around the stage looking like Tupac bobble-head). Even more troubling are the constant feats of strength and flexing -- he looks like he may have eaten Charles Atlas, but that's about as close as he gets. My wife calls him the male Precious, so I have to remind her to be kind.

Posted by: MongoNYC | April 8, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Sports, mainly by the advanced sports equipment.
Do you have enough good equipment? Of the world's most famous brands. Only two brands, jordans Nike.
If you want to have these two brands of equipment, and want to use the lowest price to buy,
Then I suggest you go to: http://ta.gg/4bu
More and more fashionable style. More favorable, the more you want.
===== http://ta.gg/4bu ====

Air jordan(1-24)shoes $33

Handbags(Coach l v f e n d i d&g) $35

Tshirts (ed hardy,lacoste) $16

Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30

Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,A r m a i n i) $16

New era cap $15

Bikini (Ed hardy) $25

FREE sHIPPING

====== http://ta.gg/4bu ====

Posted by: itkonlyyourr | April 8, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Sports, mainly by the advanced sports equipment.
Then I suggest you go to: http://ta.gg/4bu
More and more fashionable style. More favorable, the more you want.
===== http://ta.gg/4bu ====

Air jordan(1-24)shoes $33

Handbags(Coach l v f e n d i d&g) $35

Tshirts (ed hardy,lacoste) $16

Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30

Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,A r m a i n i) $16

New era cap $15

Bikini (Ed hardy) $25

FREE sHIPPING

====== http://ta.gg/4bu ====

Posted by: itkonlyyourr | April 8, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

On Last FM. The Rolling Stones only had 80 members of their fan group in 2007, The Beatles had over 2,000 which is now over 12,000 and the average age of fans is 22 more guys than girls and they are from all over the world!

In 2006,2007 and 2008 The Beatles were the # 1 most listened music artists on Last.FM and they are very popular on YouTube and Rate Your Music where many male and female fans in their teens and 20's call them The Greatest Rock Band Ever!

The Beatles are still rightfully regarded by most people,most rock critics,and many other music and rock artists as The most creative,innovative,and prolific rock band ever!

The Beatles wrote *plenty* of great rock songs including hard rock on The White Album and Abbey Road and as many have rightfully pointed out Paul invented heavy metal with his 1968 song Helter Skelter and people have also said John's I Want You She's So Heavy on Abbey road was also one of the first heavy metal songs.

Even in their early days they wrote some great rockers that were very rocky for the times, as The All Music Guide said,in their very good review of Past Masters Volume 1 that they proved they could rock really really hard,with John's I Feel Fine from late 1964 which featured the very recorded feedback guitar on a rock song,and Paul's great blues rocker,She's A Woman also from late 1964,and what they called the peerless I'm Down which is Paul's screaming rocker from mid 1965 which they performed even harder rocking, and screaming in August 1965 at Shea Stadium.

Also John's You Can't Do That from early 1964,is a great rock song, so is Day Dripper,Paperback Writer, And You're Bird Can Sing, She Said She Said,Taxman,Oh Darling Hey Bulldog, etc!

And The Long And Winding Road isn't "corny" at all it's a very pretty and sad song written when The Beatles were breaking up and after Paul's fiancee actress Jane Asher left Paul for good after a 5 year romance because she came home and found Paul in their bed with another woman.

Posted by: cmh4165 | April 11, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Also John's You Can't Do That from early 1964,is a great rock song, so is Day Dripper,Paperback Writer, And You're Bird Can Sing, She Said She Said,Taxman,Oh Darling,Hey Bulldog etc!

And The Long & Winding Road isn't "corny" it's a very pretty and sad song,that Paul wrote when The Beatles were breaking up,and also Paul's fiancee actress Jane ASher left him for good after a 5 year romance because she came home and found him in their bed with another woman.

Posted by: cmh4165 | April 11, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I didn't get a double post! I really wish there was an edit button on here!

John Lennon and Paul McCartney are rightfully widely regarded by most people,most rock and music critics,and many other well known respected rock musicians and artists as 2 of the greatest song writers of the 20th century. My step cousin who was born in 1958 saw Paul & Wings in 1976(and he said it was a great show) & he said The Beatles probably were The Greatest Band Ever & my first my cousin who was born in 68 (he & his 2 brothers,parents & sister have always been fans)said when I asked him when he was 23 if he still liked them,he said best band that ever was.

He told me that when he was at the British Museum where Lennon & McCartney's song lyrics are in a glass case next to Sahkespeare,Dickens,Wodsworth & Keats everyone was like forget them lets go over to the Lennon & McCartney lyrics.

Posted by: cmh4165 | April 11, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

The Beatles revolutionized popular and rock music and were very innovative,prolific and creative,more than any other group. And their great timeless songs are the most covered in music history by everyone from jazz musicians,classical,Motown,rock,pop and even heavy metal recording and playing their great timeless music.

On a UK Beatles fan site 2 months ago they had a quote from Michael Jackson in 1982 saying my favorite British band has always been The Beatles.And not only did he buy all of The Beatles songs,but he was good friends with Paul McCartney in the early -mid 80's and he co-wrote and sang several sngs with him.

Many academic musicologists and music scholars have done serious studies,analyses and praise of their great timeless music,like university of Penn gradutate musicologist Alan W.Pollack who did an extensive 11 year detailed analysis of every Beatles song.He says he hadn't even listened to The Beatles in 20 years until they came out on CD for the first time in 1987.

And university of Michigan music professor and musician Walter Everett who wrote the 2 volume,The Beatles As Musicians:The Quarry Men Through Rubber Soul and The Beatles As Musicians:Revolver Through Anthology.And British musicologist and classical composer and music professor (who is dead now)Willifred Mellers 1973 book,Twilight Of The Gods:The Music Of The Beatles,and he also wrote about Beethoven,Mozart and Bob Dylan.

And award winning music professor Dr.Glen Gass who has been teaching a course on what brilliant composers The Beatles were and a rock music course at Indiana University School Of Music since 1982.Dr.Gary Kendal's Beatles course is the most requested at North Western university ,university of California also has one and Oxford university had a recent Beatles course.

How many serious music scholars and award winning music professors are teaching and writing serious academic works studying and prasing what "brilliant" composers The Rolling Stones or any other rock bands were?

Posted by: cmh4165 | April 11, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Also, classical composer Leonard Bernstein called John and Paul the greatest composers of the 20th century so did Elton John on a 1991 CBS Morning news show,he was asked who he musically admires and he said you can talk about your Rogers and Hammerstein but for the quanity of quality songs that Lennon and McCartney wrote in that short period of time,he said he thinks they were the greatest song writers of the 20th century.Brian Wilson said this too on a 1995 Nightline Beatles tribute show.

The Beatles are in the Vocal Hall of Fame and John Lennon and Paul McCartney are both in The Song Writing Hall of Fame and they were awarded about 20 prestigious Ivor Nevello awards as great singers and song writers in just a remarkable 8 year recording career,John and Paul won the first one in early 1964.

They also won an Oscar for their film score of their Let It Be Film in 1970.

Posted by: cmh4165 | April 11, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Also in an excellent Beatles book Ticket To Ride by Denny Somach where so many other well known popular respected rock musicians and artists are interviewed about The Beatles praising them including Jimmy Page,Brian Wilson who says he's always loved The Beatles. And Brian Wilson called John & Paul the greatest song writers of the 20th century on a 1995 Nightline Beatles tribute show,(which had on music artists from every type of music,a young black jazz musician,a middle aged black opera singer,Steve Winwood,Meatloaf,and classical violnist Isak Perleman,who said he plays his children Bach,Beethoven Mozart and The Beatles)and he played With A Little Help From My Friends on the piano and he said he just loves this song. He also said that Sgt.Pepper is the greatest album he ever heard and The All Music Guide says in their Beach Boys biography,that Brian had a nerveous breakdown after he heard it. Brian also said that when he first heard The Beatles brilliant 1965 folk rock album Rubber Soul he was blown away by it.He said all of the songs flowed together and it was pop music but folk rock at the same time and he couldn't believe they did this so great,this inspired him to make Pet Sounds.

John Lodge and Justin of The Moody Blues are interviewed in this book and Bill Wyman and Ron Wood says how The Rolling Stones became good friends with The Beatles in 1963 after John and Paul wrote 1 of their first hits,the Rock n Roll song,I Wanna Be You're Man.

Ron Wood was asked what his favorite Beatles songs and he said there are so many apart from the obvious like Strawberry Fields I Want To Hold Your Hand is one he said he used to like a lot ,and he said he really loved We Can Work It Out.He also says that The Beatles used to have a radio show every Friday where they played live and spoke and he would never miss an episode. He said infact whoever has the rights to those shows should dig them up,because they are incredible.

Justin Hayward says that the album he always really loved ,and he said it was when they started experimenting with chord structures ,was A Hard Day's Night.He says they began to move away from the standard 3 chord thing and just went into more interesting structures .He said A Hard Day's Night was the album for him and their song If I Fell was the song.He said it started in a different key to how it ended up,and it's a beautifully worked out song and that there are some songs on that album that were very emotinal and evocative. He said that for everybody just starting to write songs as he was,it was a real turn on and eye opener.

Posted by: cmh4165 | April 11, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious the posters who said you aren't fans of The Beatles great music,what music and music artists do you like?

As The Rolling Stone Album Guide said,not liking The Beatles is as perverse as not liking the sun. And Ozzy Osbourne said not loving The Beatles is like not loving oxogen. And a guy who runs Keno's Classic Rock n Roll Site and who runs a Rolling Stones and John Lennon fan site says damn The Beatles were one great group and he said in his great review of The Beatles 1962-1966 Red album, that if you don't love or at least like The Beatles and their music then you are not a true rock fan and more than likely will never get it.

Billy Joel said you can't like music and dislike The Beatles.

Posted by: cmh4165 | April 11, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

NME.COM
HOME
NME News

Bob Dylan talks of Beatles friendship

Legend admits: 'I'm in awe of McCartney'

May 16, 2007

Bob Dylan has spoken in depth about his longstanding friendship with The Beatles and his particular bond with George Harrison.

Talking to Rolling Stone magazine, Dylan talked freely about Harrison’s struggle to find his voice within the songwriting collective of John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

"George got stuck with being the Beatle that had to fight to get songs on records because of Lennon and McCartney. Well, who wouldn’t get stuck?" he asked.

Dylan highlighted the writing talents of Harrison, saying: "If George had had his own group and was writing his own songs back then, he’d have been probably just as big as anybody."

Speaking against popular belief, the singer also denounced any rumours of competitiveness towards Lennon and McCartney, asserting, "They were fantastic singers. Lennon, to this day, it’s hard to find a better singer than Lennon was, or than McCartney was and still is."

Nodding his cap to McCartney in particular, Dylan concluded: "I’m in awe of McCartney. He’s about the only one that I am in awe of. He can do it all. And he’s never let up... He’s just so damn effortless.

Posted by: cmh4165 | April 11, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Bob Dylan ,Roger McGuinn of The Byrds and music critic William Mann of The London Times as early as 1963 and 1964 pointed out that even in early Beatles songs like She Loves You and I Want To Hold Your Hand had unusual and interesting chords and they arranged them.

And as early as late 1963 a music critic Richard Buckle in The London Times called John and Paul the two of the most briliant composers since Beethoven after John and Paul composed the music for a ballet Mods and Rockers.

And John and Paul wrote one of The Rolling Stones first hits, I Wanna Be Your Man in late 1963 right in front of them. And Keith Richards and Mick Jagger were impressed and said wow,how can you write a song just like that and it inspired them to start writing their own songs.

John Lennon and Paul McCartney were such amazingly talented singer song writers that they were already writing hit songs for other artists as early as 1963 when their own song writing success was getting off the ground,besides The Rolling Stones,they also wrote hit songs in 1963 for Billy J.Krammer and The Dakatos,Celia Black,and Peter and Gordon etc.

Paul wrote his first song at age 14 and was playing guitar,John wrote heavy deep poetry but didn't start writing songs until he met Paul and was impressed that he wrote his own songs,and he too started to write his own songs at age 17,and they wrote together and never stopped from then on.Paul wrote the very pretty song I'll Follow The Sun at only 16!

Posted by: cmh4165 | April 11, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Also, The Beatles not only wrote so many great timeless rock songs,but so many beautiful acoustic ballads,even as early as on their great early 1964 A Hard Day's Night album,John's beautiful If I Fell, I'll Be Back and Paul's beautiful And I Love Her and Things We Said Today.

Paul McCartney says in his authorized biography Many Years From Now, that 12 years after his beloved mother Mary who was a nurse and a midwife died when Paul was only 14 and his brother only 12,died from breast cancer within a month of being diagnosed,he had a realistic vivid dream where he saw his mother alive again and she told him to just accept things as they are.Some people including Paul himself say he subconciously wrote Yesterday 3 years brfore he wrote Let It Be also about his mother's death.Especialy when he sings the words,why she had to go I don't know she wouldn't say, and how he sings I said something wrong and he longs for yesterday when she was still living and all of his troubles seemed so far away,and he's not half the man he used to be, and wants to find a place to hide away,and how there is a shadow hanging over him and yesterday came suddenly. Like Let It Be it's a sad song especially for an extremely talented,great looking, very successful 22 year old rock artist to write.

He said when he woke up from this dream he thought how wonderful it was to see her again,and that's what he wrote the beautiful song Let It Be About,it's his dead mother Mary who comes to him in his times of trouble in his hours of darknes speaking words of wisdom Let Be.John Lennon's beautiful song Julia on The Beatles great rock album,The White album is about his mother Julia who gave him away at 5 to be raised by her older sister,and just when John was getting close to her she was killed in a hit and run car accident by a drunk off duty cop while she crossed the street in front of the house John lived in,he was at her boyfriend's house waiting for her.

Posted by: cmh4165 | April 11, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I recently read an online article that had an interview with Ernie Isley of The Isley Brothers about a recent tribute to Jimi Hendrix,in which he says that Jimi played for The Isley Brothers & lived with them & that they & he were fans of The Fab Four from the moment they all watched them on The Ed Sullivan Show in February 1964. I always thought that Jimi was only a later period Beatles fan,I knew he played Sgt.Pepper live the weekend it came out,& he played Day Tripper live also,& several people on different message boards said that when he was asked where the direction of music was going,he said ask The Beatles.

Posted by: cmh4165 | April 11, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse