Lisa's Favorite Sites

It's official: Salahis to star in "Real Housewives" starting Aug. 5

Here Come the Salahis!

"The Real Housewives of D.C." will be debuting on Thursday, August 5 at 9 p.m. -- with Washington's favorite White House state dinner crasher Michaele Salahi on board as a "real housewife."

Bravo confirmed the start date which will be officially announced Tuesday.

The Salahis stride back into the spotlight August 5. View a photo gallery of the "Housewives" cast. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

"These connected D.C. power players all have their pulse on the most important cultural events, political galas, gallery openings, and fundraisers in Washington society," Bravo says.
Salahi, Bravo notes modestly, became the focus of media attention following the White House state dinner last November." She's also described as a "model" and "founder of D.C.'s America's Polo Cup."

Michaele's supporting cast includes:

* Mary Schmidt Amons: who Bravo describes as "the true Washingtonian and granddaughter of radio and TV personality Arthur Godfrey"

* Lynda Erkiletian: "the mother hen and owner of D.C.'s top modeling agency"

*Catherine Ommanney: a "feisty Brit" who Bravo says is "married to a White House photographer."

* Stacie Scott Turner: "Harvard grad, active political fund raiser."

Bravo says "The Real Housewives" franchise presents "a slice of life amongst affluent, educated women, some raising kids, some driving careers, all interacting with friends and family as determined by the unwritten social rules of the Beltway."

"These connected D.C. power players all have their pulse on the most important cultural events, political galas, gallery openings, and fundraisers in Washington society. "

"The Real Housewives of D.C." went into production shortly after the election and inauguration of President Obama.

"We wanted to dive into the Beltway subculture as it underwent an historic shift," says Andy Cohen, Senior Vice President, Original Programming and Development, Bravo. And, speaking of diving into the Beltway subculture, the Michaele and Tareq Salahi's crashing of Obama's dinner party won't happen until near the very end of the first season of the show, so fasten your seatbelts, because you're in for the long haul.

Get text alerts for Reliable Source blog posts and articles about Bravo's "Real Housewives of D.C." reality show. To subscribe, text dcwives to 98999. Msg&Data rates may apply.

By Lisa de Moraes  |  June 14, 2010; 4:40 PM ET
Categories:  TV News
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats phenom Strasburg new TV "it" guy; reads Dave's Top 10 (VIDEO)
Next: Michaele Salahi: A "Real Housewives" star is born

Comments

Please join our Facebook page: Tell the White House Party Crashers to Go Away.

Posted by: seraphina2 | June 14, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

A thoroughly uninteresting subject, even for a television column. Please try harder to find anything that somebody might care about.

Posted by: larry9 | June 14, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Pardon me while I jump out the window.

Posted by: adrienne_najjar | June 14, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

If Bravo is in your channel lineup, you're paying for this.

Posted by: mattintx | June 14, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Awesome... that I canceled cable and therefore am not supporting this garbage with my cable bill.

And nobody has "their pulse on" anything..

Posted by: john65001 | June 14, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

Posted by: nomorewholefoods | June 14, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be cool if we see on live TV the Salahi's served with court papers or subpoenas? Someone will have to tell me though because I wouldn't watch that junk if you paid me.

Posted by: bobbo2 | June 14, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually nauseated that such a shallow and pointless show about a bunch of vapid, hollow individuals could make it to TV. Oh, wait a minute, that's what TV programming is today. Enjoy another dose of TV morphine, you mindless drones!

Posted by: bkllal6020 | June 14, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Enough of these trailer trash losers already.

They've had more than their 15 minutes of fame and NONE OF US are any better for it.

Posted by: medic2010 | June 14, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Ah, to be so young and have achieved your lifelong dream - sttar in a third rate cable TV reality show. I guess they can die happy now.

Posted by: warren5 | June 14, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Please keep posting more about these people in the paper. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about them and wait with bated breath for news of their latest activity. I am so proud of the Post for continually apprising us of their latest accomplishments. I shall have Bravo as my default television channel as well Keep up the good work, Washington Post.

Posted by: upperdeck4 | June 14, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

ignorant pigs

Posted by: rcc_2000 | June 14, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Isn't enough that the news media has already done their utmost to destroy civility in America, now TV land wants to promote two grifters who lie, steal, cheat,fail to pay their bills and always look for new ways to con the public. Television in America has become the most classless display of ignorance in this nation and tells us that ignorance goes right to the top of TV land executives.
Money grubbing bums who will show anything, trash anyone, and impose their lack of talent and decency on the rest of us.

Posted by: papafritz571 | June 14, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS!

The Salahi's are fabulous. I just love them and the few same haters are so jealous of them it is funny.

I just saw them in DC today. Maybe more filming?

Posted by: lisag1 | June 14, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

This is symtomatic of our nation's intelligence level. Trash and more trash, dumbing down the already meager level of intellect. How could anyone stomach watching this rubbish?

Posted by: pelohoki | June 14, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

"This is symtomatic of our nation's intelligence level." - pelohoki

Your criticism would be more powerful if you learned how to correctly spell the words you use.

Posted by: bpai_99 | June 14, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Bravo says:

". . .a slice of life amongst affluent, educated women . . ."

Um, gee, excuse me? What exactly am I missing here?

Maybe I need to consult my dictionary, but does not 'affluent' indicate wealth in terms of assets?

Based upon my understanding, all both Mr. & Mrs. Salahi have is a 'wealth' of unpaid bills and/or judgment creditors in both the Commonwealth of Virginia and the State of Maryland, but, golly gosh darn gee whiz, I'm just am not sure I would consider that a moniker of being 'affluent'.

And how about 'educated'? Well, I do think from what I've read that Michelle, aka Missy, aka Michaele, might have graduated from high school and went on to work at a cosmetic counter at Nordstroms.

So, is that now our standard of "affluent & educated"?

If so, please pardon me while I gag.

Posted by: LAWPOOL | June 14, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Well, they got what they wanted out of this, Meanwhile others like balloon boy sits in jail for trying to get publicity. TV in america has turned to shiiiit. The bad part is we have to pay to watch the shiiiit. Sorry, call me old school, call me a hater, but when I turn on the TV, I want to see Actors, Comedians, Journalist or athletes. I dont want to see regular people, arguing with each other or competing for some prize. They already have that. Its called a game show. Sports can be my reality TV. If I want to see regular people go through changes I could just film my own family and be just as entertained. Reality TV is just another example of america being lazy and dummed down. And if you are going to have reality TV at least let the people be former famous people. All Kim and Cloe are famous for is being on a reality show, that they are currently on. What were they famous for besides being Robert Kardashians kids? What movie or TV show did they play in before? What happen to having a resume? Now being
notorious for something is all you need and your on TV. Meanwhile there are actors who cant get work on TV because its full of nobodys with a reality show whos fame is being on that show. I also think that TV does this because its cheaper to pay nobody's to become somebody's than to pay actors and producers and directors to make a real TV show.

Posted by: ged0386 | June 14, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Celebrating the banal.

Posted by: sage5 | June 14, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Should we really care about a couple who crashed a party with the intent to garner attention to get on TV? What is their talent? Are they going to crash more parties? and will this be considered entertaining? Why dont we start a reality show starring homeless bums in the park. Better yet, homeless male prostitutes. Maybe guys in a strip club all day, or shooting dice in the alley.

Posted by: ged0386 | June 14, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Yawn...there's nuttin' real about "reality" TV...

Posted by: DecafDrinker | June 14, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

TO lisag1, aka Michelle, aka Missy, aka Michaele Salahi:

Thanks for weiging in. Was looking for you or your other screen name, "Susan". Wondered what took so long. Maybe you were eating leftover Popeye's fried chicken. No problem, I do like Popeye's sometimes as well.

In any event, please look up you middle school grammar text re proper syntax, grammer and the use of apostrophes.

Best regards.

Posted by: LAWPOOL | June 14, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

notoriety comes to those who ask.

asking takes on epic proportions, however

1. Gate crashing
2. flying a hot-air balloon and saying that your son is inside...omg.
3. preparing a Teenaged girl for a trip around the world in a real-life sized tubby toy, give her GPS, a map, some snax, juiceboxes, and letting her float aimlessly in the indian ocean.
(TV deal already in the werks)

See, you, too can become notorious, if you have a big enough nerve, and money to back up the initial claims.

But why ?

Nobody really cares too deeply here, yet we know it's a fool's game, and these are fools contending for other fool people's attention spans.

The day of instant gratification for simply having existed has arrived.

what's your way of asking for attention ?

Posted by: pgibson1 | June 14, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Saw the movie. "The Grifters."

I promise not to watch the TV show, as I'm certain that it will rival nails on a chalkboard in terms of entertainment.

Posted by: postfan1 | June 14, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Why oh why does television thrive on sociopaths?

Posted by: rossor | June 14, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I FAULT THE MEDIA FOR GIVING FREE PRESS TO PEOPLE LIKE THE DINNER CRASHERS, SARAH PALIN, BECK, THE TEA PARTY AND OTHERS WHO SERVE NO PURPOSE EXCEPT TO BRING DOWN AMERICA'S STATUS IN THE WOULD. EVERY TIME THEY EITHER OPEN THEIR MOUTHS OR DO SOMETHING OUTRAGEOUS, THE MEDIA MAKES IT FRONT PAGE NEWS. I DON'T WATCH THOSE TYPE OF SHOWS BECAUSE ALL PERFORMERS ARE JUST LOOKING FOR ATTENTION; THEY'LL NEVER GET MINE.

Posted by: skinfreak | June 14, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

F#*ck up. Move up.

Posted by: mosthind | June 14, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Now doesn't this beat all??? That the Washington Post would dedicate this much space to a "Reality TV Show" about housewives in Washington, and leave out the most interesting "real" story of the day about one of our esteemed Statesman's encounter with a college student who asked him a simple question and was practically assualted because Mr. Etheridge had a "bad day" in congress. HA HA HA HA, this is really takin it to the limit in reporting...

Posted by: sallysays | June 14, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Why is anyone giving these TREASONOUS nutjobs a venue?

Why is the Washington Post pandering to their egos by publishing anything about them. The Post is encouraging publicity prostitutes to violate American national security to get their their fifteen minutes...

Shame! Shame on the Washington Post!

Posted by: aahpat | June 14, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I have blocked Bravo from my Tv and I will not watch anything on Bravo until this show is cancelled.

This TV show encourages people to violate American national security just to gain notoriety.

Bravo Sucks!

BOYCOTT BRAVO!!!!!

Posted by: aahpat | June 14, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

As with other "reality TV" characters, the great thing about the Salahi's is that there's nothing real about them. The fun lies in watching how layer after layer of glittering deceit is stripped away by casual contact with others. Absolutely hilarious--provided you're not a creditor.

Posted by: gmeagher | June 14, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

"have blocked Bravo from my Tv "

That's fine, but you are still subsidizing it. Bravo doesn't just make money by selling commercials. It reaches into your wallet every month for a "license fee" that's bundled into your cable bill. Whether you watch or not.

Want a real boycott? Good. Cut your cable, or dismantle your dish. Until multichannel pay TV is available a la carte, that's your only option.

Posted by: mattintx | June 14, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Remember posters, anyway positive comments about the Salahis are posted by the Salahis themselves. They are so transparent.

These people (the Salahis) can't seem to pay their bills, well maybe now they can pay some of their bills.

Who wants to watch trash!!! I know I won't be watching.

Posted by: martinalandau | June 14, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Just too funny for words. So, these are "real housewives" of DC are they? What true mover and shaker, or the spouse thereof, would allow themselves to be filmed in this way - you've got it - zero. Otherwise, said mover and shaker, or spouse thereof, would no longer be at the top of those "A" list guest sheets. No one wants their fundraisers, parties, etc. filmed let alone advertised in this fashion. My guess, this show will note all of the B or lower list government functions to which these folks will be invited, if at all, and try to make them into "A" list affairs on the show. Who, by the way, would invite the Salahis to a fundraiser of any kind? That would be the height of humor considering they have a negative net worth and seem to be dodging their creditors right and left.

Posted by: fwillyhess | June 14, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

The Sahalis are not news. They are scum. Pleaes stop wasting bandwidth by posting their goings-on as "news".

Posted by: c0lnag0 | June 14, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

If there were a god in heaven, we would have a la carte television programming. Why do we have to continually subsidize this garbage for the few channels we watch?

Posted by: je121819 | June 14, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

The who's? Oh, them. They are so yesterday.

Posted by: arancia12 | June 14, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Bravo use to be classy and had first rate programs now it's become pure trash - especially the "housewives". Also, how many of these so-called "housewives" live in DC. They should be called the "wanna be women of the suburbs". None of these people are "..connected D.C. power players...pulse on the most important cultural events, political galas, gallery openings, and fundraisers in Washington society...".

Posted by: jlr6111 | June 14, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. Bravo shouldn't encourage people like this.

Posted by: mtnrunner2 | June 14, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Bye bye Bravo. I'll never watch your shows again. And if anyone has a list of Bravo sponsors, please post them. They deserve a boycott too. Civilization is being sold down the tubes by Bravo and others supporting the worst in people. Its time to take a stand. No more Bravo, no more Bravo advertised products, no more!

Posted by: Fate1 | June 14, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Vincent Gray, DC Council Chair, plays a cameo at some swell event covered by the show.

Posted by: axolotl | June 14, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Aren't the Salahis really performance artists sending up the pretensions and pomposity of Washington's socially ambitious? And they've proved it by getting the Post's editors to rise to the bait and print this as bait for indignant citizens who consider the Salahis equal in importance to the Gulf oil spill. Their reaction almost tempts me to watch the program on Bravo. Salahiphobes, as the world's problems go, they're not worth it, wake up to the nation's real problems and get a life.

Posted by: Duardo | June 14, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

This is just another reason I haven't subscribed to cable TV for the last ten years. You CAN live without it.

Posted by: terecephalus | June 14, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I am so glad to see that so many people share my disdain for the Sahooballs.

Posted by: Dnlien | June 14, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean we will also be seeing this couple down on the Gulf coast promoting cleanup of the oil tainted landscape?

Posted by: joe100821 | June 14, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm tellin' you, before it's over we're gonna to see her in Playboy or Penthouse (still in print?) or in a nude romp on one of the internet websites. Get the airbrush and/or lens jelly ready.

Posted by: ddnfla | June 14, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

So when they talk about "Real Housewives..." what they really mean is someone who doesn't work, runs around attending parties and is really just plain obnoxious.

Posted by: helloisanyoneoutthere | June 14, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Folks, remember that this show has already been filmed, and the big moment for this despicable couple will be their preparations for the White House dinner that they then CRASHED. Whatever we see before the series finale will most likely be events that happened one year ago.

Posted by: red_hawk1968 | June 14, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

More like a "non" reality show.

Who cares?

All this show does is feed thier egos anyway.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 14, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

There is almost an article per day on the Salahis, even though I do not read them purposefully, I cannot ignore the screaming headlines. Can someone tell me what is happening? Are the Salahis major investors in WaPo?

Posted by: ssensharma | June 14, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I was against everyone who said who cares until now. The media likes them for the wrong reasons and it's showing. No more stories. I'm not reading.

Posted by: kls1 | June 14, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

If it wasn't for the Post these people would be unknown.

Posted by: 12oreo | June 14, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Why have these two not been indicted yet? And what will Bravo do when they are? Guess that free publicity will do wonders for a show no one in their right mind would watch.

Posted by: John1263 | June 14, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

WaPo... really!

Posted by: whocares666 | June 14, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to the people from Real HouseWhores of [fill in city] for teaching these self-absorbed, self-centered, self-promoting, dimwitted cretins that the more outrageous and unacceptable their behavior, the greater their reward.

These sub-human vermin are being held up as models to follow for everyone. Does anyone wonder why people act like they do?

Posted by: xconservative | June 14, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

"Lynda Erkiletian: 'the mother hen and owner of D.C.'s top modeling agency'"

Isn't that like being the chief economist at Bismarck, North Dakota's top econometrics consulting company?

Posted by: dionysianmadness | June 14, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

When did Front Royal become part of DC??? The Salahis live 70 miles west of DC, not in DC or even in the suburbs.

Posted by: Myshamrock_va@yahoo.com | June 14, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I had the dishonor of meeting the Salahis and they are complete trash. What horrible examples they will be of life in Washington...like this city needs any more negative publicity.

Posted by: sjp879 | June 14, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Can we bring back the balloon boy family instead of these two?

Posted by: unitcaptain11 | June 14, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

"What true mover and shaker, or the spouse thereof, would allow themselves to be filmed in this way"

Bingo!

It will be just like the housewives in other cities of the series. A bunch of spoiled brats w/ way too much time and money.

I have tried to watch the show once or twice just to see what all of the hoopla was about. I couldn't handle more than 15 mins before feeling like I needed to rip out what little hair I have left.

Posted by: BEEPEE | June 14, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Put those 2- PimPettes in Prison! We have had Enough of their' Garbage "CRAP"!! - If the T.V. networks run that Salahis' CRAP, then that silly network should be Boycotted for Stupidity, Fraud, & Abuse fo the Air-Waves!!

Posted by: jward52 | June 14, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Endangering the President's security is uncool.....inviting more ORDINARY Citizens to those pomp and circumstances social facades is cool !

fanta

Posted by: fantazamaraz | June 14, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Way to go, Post. It's a close call, no? Their sleaze, versus your promoting their sleaze under the specious guise of "news."

Posted by: lstrauss2 | June 14, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

If you keep printing this crap, I'm going to finally cancel my subscription. Isn't there any news in D.C. other than these lunatics?

Posted by: observator1000 | June 14, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

One word: DISGUSTING!!!

Posted by: johnmhatfield | June 14, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

These grifters don't even live in DC. They wish they had the coin to live in the city or a close in, well heeled suburb.

Posted by: sjp879 | June 14, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

There's nothing like inviting the scumsuckers to suck more scum!

Posted by: thrh | June 14, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

So they were rewarded for breaching security at the White House and breaking the law. What will the next stunt be for another wannabe? Absoulute trash!

Posted by: daygrrrrl | June 14, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

THEY CRASH PARTIES
THEY WANT TO BE SEEN
EAT AND MEET
CHARM AND FLURT A LITTLE
GET KNOWN
FREE DINNERS
PASS SECURITY WITH FLYING COLORS
MAKE A MOVIE OR SOME TV SHOW
GET RICH QUICK
WHAT A PHONEY BUNCH
ONLY IN AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: saidzhofioni | June 14, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: StewartIII | June 15, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Thank goodness I don't watch Bravo. The Salahi's don't live, vote, or pay taxes in D.C. They live in the State of Virginia. The show should be entitled, "Real Housewives of Virginia".

@adrienne_najjar: I am behind you jumping out of a window. LOL LOL

Posted by: Ward4DC | June 15, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Can't Wait for the Salahi's !

Posted by: lisag1 | June 15, 2010 1:55 AM | Report abuse

More programming for those who truly have nothing going on. Watching grass grow would be more productive.

What a waste of time.

Posted by: postfan1 | June 15, 2010 4:48 AM | Report abuse

The "socially crooked" Salahis, etc are a horrible example to set for those "impressionable" people who might not be able to adequately sort out right from wrong for themselves and who decide to this might be a fun thing to try to do.

Posted by: mmhoover1 | June 17, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse