Lisa's Favorite Sites

Michaele Salahi and Whoopi Goldberg tell their sides of the story

"I make no apology for my choice words," Whoopi Goldberg said firmly at the top of "The View" Thursday about her back-stage run-in with America's Favorite Alleged White House Party Crashers Michaele and Tareq Salahi the day before on the show.

"Her husband got in my face, had his Blackberry out and started taking pictures of me. Needless to say, I really went off then. And there was even more choicer words ... so choice, you could have cut them with a knife and eaten them," Whoopi said of the fracas that erupted backstage the day Michaele and the other "Real Housewives of D.C." appeared on the ABC talker to plug Thursday night's debut of their new reality-soap.

"Yesterday, the 'Real Housewives of D.C.' were here, including Michaele Salahi. Who you you may remember from her, let's say, surprising appearance at a White House party last November," Whoopi said with a grim look on her face at the top of the hour.

"Things got very heated on the air and backstage, especially after allegations by the other housewives that Michaele's husband threw a drink at one of [the other housewives]" last week, Whoopi continued.

On Wednesday's "The View" viewers were treated to the sight of Whoopi appearing from backstage, walking over to the couch where co-hosts Joy Behar, Sherri Shepherd and the five "Real Housewives" cast members were chatting and telling Michaele, who was sitting on the end of the sofa closest to her, to stop talking about throwing drinks and start talking about the White House incident.

Thursday, Whoopi explained to viewers that she does that kind of thing all the time on the show.

"I come out sometimes just because I want to and sometimes to get stuff going ... Everybody has seen it. It's cool ... I was backstage waiting for the conversation to get back to the White House part."

"Afterward, Michaele was very upset about what was said about her on the air. And then I was told that she thought I hit her. So I went up to her and I told her that she knew I didn't hit her and, yeah, you know how I said it. Choice words," she said. The studio audience applauded wildly. Hooray for choice words!

Earlier Thursday morning, Michaele Salahi gave her version of the incident on the fourth hour of NBC's "Today" show - NBC is owned by NBC Universal which also owns Bravo which airs "Real Housewives of DC."

In theory, Michaele was there, with the show's other cast mates to plug the new "Housewives" debut. But Michaele wanted to talk about how Whoopi had been "berating" her backstage on "The View." In fairness, Michaele did explain that Whoopi also told her, "You know me, I say, '[have sex] this,'...but I don't mean that. You understand that.'"

"I don't know her personality," Michaele emoted. "I know her from the movie 'Sister Act' so I don't expect a sister to be saying [have sex with] you. '"

Nicely played, Michaele!

The Salahi's attorney Lisa Bloom has also gotten into the act, issuing a statement about how Michaele's appearance on "The View" was "degrading and demeaning," and that, "The show was advised not to refer to Mrs. Salahi as a 'party crasher,' as that statement is false and defamatory. Nevertheless, she was called a 'party crasher' at least five times on air."

While Michaele got it off her chest on "Today," the other members of the "Housewives" cast were seen stewing about their on-air time being turned into yet another episode of "The MIchaele Salahi Show."

"We're so tired of hearing it and talking about it," cast member Mary Amons snapped. "This is a show about five people, not one couple."

"In general, are you over [Michaele]?" "Today: The Fourth Hour" co-host Hoda Kotb asked sweetly.

"Completely, yeah," "Housewives" cast member Catherine Ommanney confirmed, without a second's hesitation.

By Lisa de Moraes  |  August 5, 2010; 12:57 PM ET
Categories:  TV News
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nigel Lythgoe officially returns to 'American Idol'
Next: Rosie O'Donnell returns to daytime TV on Oprah's net

Comments

Lisa Bloom is the Salahis' attorney???

My, how the mighty have fallen.

Posted by: markiejoe | August 5, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Aw.

And everyone was worried there wouldn't be any table tossing on the RHWODC.

Posted by: dadada | August 5, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Michaele and Tareq Salahi are scum. She is a two-bit tramp. He is an idiot who ripped off his parents. Together they are the reality worlds equivalent of the tea party.

Posted by: rcc_2000 | August 5, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Whoopi SHOULD have hit her..........w/ a Louisville Slugger.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | August 5, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

They are trying sooooo hard to get people to tune in. Housewives in DC, that happens to live in VA (except for one)? But then again, do we have housewives in DC? Oh, and the real DC housewives will NOT be caught dead on camera. They should be careful for what the wish for. Notoriety in DC is not a good thing.

Posted by: samiismoni14 | August 5, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please just make her go away. The new show hasn't even aired yet and already she is a royal pain in the a$$.

Posted by: mbrumble | August 5, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

The bit about Tariq getting in Whoopie's face with the BBerry camera inevitably brings to mind the fabulous SNL skit: http://www.hulu.com/watch/113206/saturday-night-live-obama-afghanistan-cold-open

Posted by: Meridian1 | August 5, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Bloom, your client's appearance anywhere is "degrading and demeaning."

Posted by: overed | August 5, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Why oh why do we care about such awful people as these. They both belong in jail and the sooner the better. Not only for trying to break into the White House dinner party but for all of their lies and stunts that have cost so many people so much money and grief. These phony people deserve to be punished and not glamorized.

Posted by: donnajorobinson | August 5, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Yikes, did you see the close-up of Michaele Salahi?? --She should rush to the botox clinic!

Posted by: ost123 | August 5, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

That's BS. Everyone knows Whoopi played a nun in disguise in Sister Act. She was actually a Reno lounge singer who in witness protection so she could testify against her boyfriend in his murder trial. I love that movie! Not Michaele Salahi, though. (Who decided she was famous again?)

Posted by: NikkiSixx | August 5, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

How are any of these idiots the "Real Housewives of DC"? This is so embarrassing for our city.

Can't we make their show more like Survivor? But instead of getting kicked off the island for losing a challenge, you actually die. Why is this not a show? Millions would tune in.

Posted by: damnit79 | August 5, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Michaela stinks.

Posted by: alligator10 | August 5, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I agree with damnit79.... these women are an embarrassment to this city. Michaela, worst of all. Keep her ass in Virginia.

Posted by: rburgos617 | August 5, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

The idea that Micahela Salahi represents DC is as much of a joke as the idea that that couple is anything above white trash. They may even be poor if what I have read about them stiffing all of their creditors is valid.

Posted by: mickle1 | August 5, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

overed:

You hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Posted by: LAWPOOL | August 5, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they should appear on "Lifestyles of the Stupid and Famous," but since I don't watch TV I guess I wouldn't see that show either.

Posted by: usblues1 | August 5, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

The fact that this is even "news" makes me want to poop my pants.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 5, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I thought the White Trash Talking (and talking,and talking, and talking zzzzzz) would probably attempt to take this to Judge Judy or one of the other TV court shows, as just one more way to get media time, but I guess not if Lisa Bloom is in on the fray.Mr. and Mrs. Salahi belong on Jerry Springer more than any Real Housewife spot.

Posted by: inmanorj | August 5, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to figure out how I get to the universe that the Salahis live in.

1) So I can give them a well-deserved kick in the tuchus, and

2) So I can see what it's like to be that delusional. Because I'm trying to figure out in what world you think you can successfully accuse someone of hitting you after that person was filmed merely touching you to get your attention.

I'm wondering if Michaele ever rides the damn Metro - I got assaulted daily by comparison.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | August 5, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh, those girls! Dingy but adorable, female humans are just so gosh darn cute!

Posted by: jd5024 | August 5, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Score -
Whoopie - 1

Salahi - 0 - reflecting exactly who she is.

Posted by: Ruffles1 | August 5, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Let's see...

black assaults white.

black attorney general gives black power salute.

liberals laugh.

Posted by: jjjjjj1 | August 5, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

If you want to know how far downhill America has gone all you need to do is look at the nightly news or shows like The View. You either hear about talentless bimbo's like Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton or a show like The View has a bimbo like Salahi on.

When American culture has to descend to the lowest common denominator and when idiots and bimbo's are what the networks believe is newsworthy we are going to downhill fast in our country. Very sad.

Posted by: mjkoch* | August 5, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

This is good example of the different standards of behavior for black and white Americans--and a good one, too!

Let's see: If a white celebrity repeatedly effed a guest on her show, what would management's response be? Think she'd be fired? Yes, she would.

I'm waiting for Whoopi to claim racism was involved, like the CT guy who stole from his employer and then shot eight people when he got fired. His family claims the victims were to blame.

Posted by: woof3 | August 5, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Let's see: If a white celebrity repeatedly effed a guest on her show--especially a black or hispanic guest, what would management's response be? Think she'd be fired? Yes, she would.

I'm waiting for Whoopi to claim racism was involved.

Posted by: woof3 | August 5, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

OH GOD! HERE WE GO AGAIN!!! Come on PEOPLE! Does ANYONE doubt this train-wreck is not going to "milk" this to death!!! She and her husband are nothing more then publicity seeking W----'s... She knows very well just as in Child Protective Service, the minute you say the words "I was Hit" that changes everything...She will keep that fake smile and act like she was "shocked" about the show BULL***T!
Already they are trying to "plug-the-dam"
with HOPEFULLY the last "Real(Phony)Housewives" Everyone has found out what a "put-up" job from the past shows these "Socialites" is it?? They are broke, in-debt over their heads. Some are in or near Bankruptcy. They have lost homes in Foreclosure. Why do you think when they do the "reunion" shows they are all done on a well controlled stage?? They can't do a "Where are they Now" because half of them have lost their houses...The only thing Mr & Mrs Salahi would have the class to be seen> They would make excellent "Door-People" to the New Masque they are wanting to build near Ground Zero!!!

Posted by: pbrook67 | August 5, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

SOUNDS LIKE "THE WHITE HOUSE PARTY CRASHER" IS EMBARRASSED BY SAME-SAID ACTIONS. GIRLFRIEND AND HER HUBBY WERE CAUGHT ON VIDEO WALKING INTO THE STATE DINNER. THEY WERE NOT ABLE TO PRODUCE AN INVITE TO THE AFFAIR...WHAT DID WHOOPIE LIE ABOUT? AND LISA BLOOM; ARE YOU SO DESPERATE FOR WORK THAT YOU DECIDED TO REPRESENT THOSE LOSERS? PLEASE, HAVE SOME RESPECT FOR YOURSELF.

Posted by: skinfreak | August 5, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I feel a little bit stupider for having read this article.

Posted by: btd_ | August 5, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Lisa Bloom--a media-ho just like her mother.

Posted by: nomorewholefoods | August 5, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: woof3 | August 5, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse
===========================
Another teabagger playing the race card. Not one person has mentioned race, not one newscaster or anywhere else except another sad teabagger. Get over it already.

Posted by: wmwilliams14 | August 5, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

As I see it they crashed the state diner making the CRASHERS. Maybe she should have though about the consequences before acting.

I also have to say she is looking old and worn out…….

Posted by: askgees | August 5, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Pity poor "it wasn't rape rape" Whoopi. She's been working hard since childhood to keep everybody's attention riveted on her, and now she's got to put up with fake sellebrities on her turf. Lawd have merci, it's a wonder she didn't tear the byewhatch's hair out by roots.

Posted by: fzdybel | August 5, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

May a pox descend upon them all.

WG is the token itch-from-d-hood with the mouth to match. It's the ONLY reason she exists to torment us. Her pal, Mel Gibson, is tolerated at her house only to make her look good in comparison, or, at least, less degenerate. Her uninvited instigations I interpret as conversation-crashing, a form of Salahi-ism she criticizes yet revels in.

Posted by: istompislam | August 5, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Anybody who watches shows like Housewives of DC or Housewives of anything is one very sick depraved little puppy. What's happening to us as a country?

Posted by: polcat | August 5, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Well, I certainly hope that Ms. Bloom got her fee up front. This couple has screwed over so many attorneys and pretty much everyone else they have delt with, that I'm almost certain that Ms. Bloom will be suing them for her fee in about 2 months. Why are these people even talked about? They aren't rich, they aren't powerful. They are leeches and posers. Absolute embarassments.

Posted by: pjglazer | August 5, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Did all of the cast members drag their husbands along to the set for the taping of The View? Why was Tareq Salahi even there? The Salahi's either by accident or on purpose have proven themselves capable of keeping some level of drama going on around them. It would be great if they were simply ignored and left to wallow in their own mediocrity. I, for one, am sick of their ploys to gain "celebrity" status by pranking everyone that is subjected to news of their foolishness.

Posted by: MsCookie | August 5, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Thats what The View gets for having trash on their show. I don't always agree with Ms. Goldberg, however, in this instance I take my hat off to her. She should not take any guff from people trying who should not have been on any show whatsoever, they are trash.

Posted by: Listening2 | August 5, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

So, the fart cushion goes a bit ape now and then. What do you expect from her? Breeding and charm? She's a show-woman. Beats that idiot Tom Curse.

Posted by: NEWSOUTH1 | August 5, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I feel sorry for Ms. Goldberg having to put up with trash such as the Salahis. Anybody who watches those reality shoes are nuts anyway and desperate for a life.

Posted by: Listening2 | August 5, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey Michaele! I know you're reading this, because your sick need for attention will force you to examine every posting. So here's mine:

You and your hubby are trailer trash. You are party crashers. You are petty crooks, stealing from your friends and the people who do your hair and tend your gardens.

You are a couple of grifters who wore out your welcome the day you dared to crash an affair at the White House .. an affair that would never have included a couple of low-life con artists like yourselves.

If you don't want to be insulted, get the hell out of the public eye.

Posted by: Casey1 | August 5, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Michaele and Tareq Salahi are clods. She is a two-bit scammer. He is a parasite.

Posted by: aorj | August 5, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

The Salahi's attorney Lisa Bloom has [said that], "The show was advised not to refer to Mrs. Salahi as a 'party crasher,' as that statement is false and defamatory. Nevertheless, she was called a 'party crasher' at least five times on air."

Didn’t anyone else see this as just the kind of censorship that we would despise anywhere else? No show, even one that has little but entertainment value, should accept such a blatant attempt at censorship. Grow up, Ms. Sahili, this is not kindergarten. If you can’t face being called names, stay home.

Posted by: GreyD21 | August 5, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

The Salahi woman look like she is made of plastic, wrinkled plastic!

Posted by: johng1 | August 5, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the Salahi's and the "DC Housewives" all I can say is Where is Omar Thornton when you need him?

Posted by: 809212876 | August 5, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

RCC_2000 said: "Michaele and Tareq Salahi are scum. She is a two-bit tramp. He is an idiot who ripped off his parents."
___________

Exactly. That's just what we, and millions of viewers, want. You go, Michaele. Let's see more articles and photos of Michaele. Now WaPo is catching on to what readers want.

Posted by: llrllr1 | August 5, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

2 of the MANY POS to show up on the View from the Bottom....lately.

Posted by: unclefrank22801 | August 5, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

This piece would have been so much funnier had the blogger the English background to have inserted intercourse instead have sex or have sex with; e.g., intercourse the penguin!

Posted by: TheghostofLennyBruce | August 5, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

wmwilliams,

I'm bringing up race, that's right! Just like Whoopi Goldberg does on a regular basis. My comment is genuine--that's how I think of this interaction.

Goldberg was completely unprofessional, no matter who the guest was. YES, a white woman would be FIRED for speaking to a black woman that way in that situation.

You get over it! That's the way of the world.

Posted by: woof3 | August 5, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Hello. My remote allows me to change the channel or turn off the tv. Check your's to see if it is similar. BTW, I will be using my remote.

Posted by: martinnhm | August 6, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse