Lisa's Favorite Sites

Jennifer Grey takes top spot in "Dancing with Stars," as Bristol Palin shimmies and Margaret Cho plods along

cho

Margaret Cho and her partner Louis Van Amstel strike a pose. (Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images) | More DWTS photos

Q&A, 11 a.m.: Post's dance critic discusses the show
VIDEO: Relive last night's dances
PHOTOS: New cast of 'Dancing With the Stars'
USER POLL: Who is going home Tuesday night?

(This post has been updated.)

Bristol Palin, Queen of Double-Entendre, was not the worst dancer on the 11th season debut of "Dancing with the Stars."

That would be Margaret Cho who, turns out, can do bad comedy AND bad dancing simultaneously. This took the form of a waltz performed with gold bat wings on poles extending from her shoulder, in which she got herself all wound up.

Show host Tom Bergeron -- the best reality competition series host in the business, no matter how many times they give "Survivor's" Jeff Probst the Emmy -- says Cho looked like Liberace's shower curtain.

How bad was she? So bad that, during the taped rehearsal bit, her professional dance partner Louis Van Amstel said of one of her dance moves, "You're doing it like you're sitting in the bathroom, doing No. 2."

Cut to Cho explaining earnestly to the camera how she could have been a ballerina, except, as a child, one day in ballet class someone called her the fattest ballerina, and "I did not allow myself to dance after that."

"I did not realize I was going into therapy" Cho adds, about signing on to do this show. Neither did we.

Did you know the judges can't give negative points on this dancing competition show, and have an unwritten rule that even Liberace's shower curtain gets a 5 from each judge for just showing up? This explains how Cho wound up with 15 points total. It does not, however, explain how she wound up in a three-way tie with bad-but-not-Cho-bad performances from Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino, and David Hasselhoff.

The Situation swanned in to show rehearsals with only five days to go before the season debut and in the taped bits, immediately began to whine like a girl about how unfair it was. It appears he spent most of those five days perfecting John Travolta's "Saturday Night Fever" Point at the Disco Ball move, which, during Monday's show, the judges politely tell The Situation is no longer in vogue. Mikey whines a little more about having only five days (because he had been hard at work on "Jersey Shore") and begs us to vote for him.

David Hasselhoff also walked off with just 15 points, only his buxom blonde dance partner Kym Johnson was wearing the latest little nothing from a naughty-lingerie shop and viewers also get to vote, so he's got nothing to worry about, though judge Len Goodman advises him, "It's never too early to panic."

Bristol Palin, with her partner Mark Ballas. (Fred Prouser/Reuters)

Bristol was also not the most primly dressed woman on the show, despite her Costume Modesty Vow.

"We're going to have Bristol dressed up kind of like her mom - and tear off this dress like Kabaam!" her dance partner Ballas promises, about 18 minutes into the two-hour show.

"I've always looked like my mom growing up," Bristol observes, adding, "but there have been times when I haven't."

So out Bristol comes, about halfway into the show, wearing this matronly gray suit we swear we saw Elizabeth Dole in about a decade ago, with a red blouse all tied up in a bow around her neck, which she proceeds to tear off, revealing a red flapper-esque mini dress. She begins to shake her booty as best she knows how after three weeks of intense training, though Ballas seems to be dancing for the two of them. His moves outnumber hers on a 4-to-1 ratio. Through the entire number Bristol looks kind of swept along, which we think must be what her life is like in general.

"For you, this is virgin territory...you come out here and shake your hips like a pro!" marvels judge Bruno Tonioli. On the other hand, The Dumb One from "The Hills," aka Audrina Patridge, did it much better about an hour before Bristol. And, Audrina pulled it off while looking like a pony -- "a beautiful show pony who needs to be whipped into place," Bruno noted at the top of the show.

Bristol may, however, be the first "Dancing with the Stars" contestant whose mother needs extra security in order to sit in the audience. The network and producers expected former Alaska Gov. and current TLC reality series star Sarah Palin to be kvelling in the audience, and had planned to take extra precautions, we were told. But when Bruno asks if Mom is in the hall, Bristol responds, "She's not."

Which is maybe just as well, given that Bristol and Ballas did the Cha Cha to the Three Dog Night tune, "Mama Told Me Not to Come." (#noshedidnt @omg!)

"It's like Levi and my relationship!" Bristol marvels to her dance partner, after the tune choice is explained to her during their pre-taped rehearsal bit.

"Mama told me not to do it - but I did it anyway!" adds America's Most Famous Unwed Teen Mom, leaving us wondering whether she actually gets the double entendre-ness of the tune title.

The judges give Bristol 18 points for her performance after Ballas says backstage how proud he is of her booty-shaking, and she smiles uncomfortably as she tries to pry his arms from around her.

That's two points more than the judges give Michael Bolton, who apparently hunches a lot when he sings - and when he dances too.

Palin's outfit looked positively racy compared to the gown by pop singer Brandy wears during her waltz. She does fine but gets lost in the crowd.

And Florence Henderson, this season's token Old Lady, delivers a lecture about how important it is for women in their 70s to still be sexy while we try to get the picture of her doing the Cha Cha with Corky Ballas out of our head.

Palin is the most buzzed about "Dancing" celebrity of the show's fall season - buzz ABC hopes will measure up to that of last spring's competitor: America's Most Put Upon Mom, Kate Gosselin. Gosselin attracted more than 24 million viewers -- the show's biggest opening crowd ever -- to last spring's first episode when she waltzed to the tune "She's Always a Woman to Me" while dressed as Barbara Eden from "I Dream of Jeannie."

Actress Jennifer Grey came out on top in the premiere episode of "Dancing with the Stars." (Fred Prouser/Reuters)

But Jennifer Grey steals the judges' hearts Monday night.

Grey, aka "Dirty Dancing's" Baby, gets all choked up when she finds out she'll be waltzing to a tune from that flick because it brings to mind co-star Patrick Swayze, who died last year.

Though her performance is nothing to rave about - particularly that bumpy landing at the end - the judges rave. "Something very profound happened right now," Carrie Ann emotes. "You connected with The Beyond."

Grey gets the most points from judges of any dancer Monday night - 24 out of a possible 30 points.

This year the show sports two athletes: former pro football quarterback Kurt Warner, and ex-NBA player (and former Mr. Vanessa Williams) Rick Fox of the impossibly white teeth. Fox is by far the better dance after one week. Kurt gets 19 out of a possible 30 points, to Rick's 22.

"What a season this is going to be! I can see it right now: the quarterback versus the basketball player! I can't wait to see you fighting it out!" Bruno fantasizes.

Former "Cory in the House" star Kyle Massey comes out of nowhere to wow the judges and the audience when he does the Cha Cha while dressed as a middle school nerd, and his dance partner, Lacey Schwimmer, takes the part of the middle school floozy.

"I think I just fell in love," Carrie Ann Inaba coos after his performance. Bruno pronounces him "adorable" and "naughty" and says he wants to take Kyle home.

USER POLL:

By Lisa de Moraes  | September 21, 2010; 6:12 AM ET
Categories:  Dancing With the Stars
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bristol Palin's 'Dancing With the Stars' song: "Mama Told Me (Not to Come)"
Next: HBO renews "Boardwalk Empire" for second season

Comments

I hate 2 say this, but Bristol is both a talentless, lazy hack, and a real dog too. Woof!

Posted by: euroguy | September 21, 2010 4:47 AM | Report abuse

Margaret Cho is actually a really funny comedian.

Posted by: FairfaxIsBlue | September 21, 2010 5:16 AM | Report abuse

The Palin with all that Alaska fat/ blubber not even a high school education would be far better in a cat house. Like her mata hari, hypocrite, Sunday Christian evangelical opportunist mama. Plus some of the new ding bats like the AZ ugly Governor Brewer, the DE Conservative Republican, witch bag O'Donnell, Ms. Angle of NV and others.

Look like that since old Levi dumped the hussy, has not gotten a good one for quite a while.

Posted by: winemaster2 | September 21, 2010 6:06 AM | Report abuse

OMG, it's funny how jealous the democrats are of the successful Palins. lmao, you all need to get lives.

bye bye democrats

Posted by: COOLCHILLY | September 21, 2010 6:15 AM | Report abuse

"We're going to have Bristol dressed up kind of like her mom"

In other words, the show wanted Sarah Palin, couldn't afford Sarah's exorbitant demannds, so they settled for Bristol, and will now constantly bring up Sarah Palin when they're talking to or about Bristol.
Bristol must be either very dumb not to have figured out that DWTS chose her only so they could 'get' her mother on their lame and getting lamer show, or Bristol must be desperate for cash and attention just like her Mama Grizzly.

I hope Bristol loses a whole lot of weight in the two or three weeks she's on the show. The close-up of her face hinted at how fat she is----then the view of her cellulite-saturated legs confirmed it.

70+ year old Florence Henderson is in better shape than Bristol Palin. Then of course, Florence Henderson has earned her own way through life.
Bristol is merely dangling on mommy's skirt hem, livin' large off the money Sarah Palin fools people into giving her for doing and saying nothing.

Posted by: momof20yo | September 21, 2010 6:26 AM | Report abuse

Bristol needs 2 lose at least 30 pounds b 4 going on camera.
Cruel, but true, ha ha.

Posted by: euroguy | September 21, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

After reading this review, and admittedly never having watched DWTS (stars?), and if even half of what is written is true, it is frightening to think there is enough audience to support this sideshow. Why fault Bristol Palin for cashing in? Why is she the fool in this picture?

Posted by: merrill1 | September 21, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

I am boycotting DWTS until they boot this loser and her loser Mama Grizzly out of the picture. It was my favorite show but pandering to the Palins made it intolerable for me. What SP and her inbred brood of haters have done to this country is inexcusable. Who next? Rush Limbaugh? Shame on ABC for giving this freak family one minute of airtime.

Posted by: josiecat | September 21, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Look at all the garbage leftist Palin haters on here...hey, root for your dreg fat lady Cho who needs a psychiatric work up! Hee!

Posted by: Smarg | September 21, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Once again Lisa proves that I don't need to waste an hour of my life watching shows like this when I can get maximum entertainment by reading her review.

Posted by: justmike | September 21, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

So much for being dressed conservatively and that being who she is. Well, I guess we all know who she is now. And it was only night #1. I can hardly wait to see her conservatism in, say, week #4 if she makes it that long.

Posted by: mbrumble | September 21, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Gotta give Bristol one thing ....she sure is.....large.

Posted by: seakeys | September 21, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Why would anyone watch this garbage? Please, explain the fascination with this silliness to me.

Posted by: password11 | September 21, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: password11
**********
Can't explain it to myself why people watch it much less why they are turning this into a Democrats-Republican faceoff. Silly to the max.

Posted by: vickie105 | September 21, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

I read on another site that Bristol and Mark call themselves "Team Ballin." Evidently the girl is even dumber than we thought.

Posted by: smgess | September 21, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Maybe, just maybe, Bristol is not so dumb and is taking the opportunity to show that she is her own person and not just a clone of her mother. Or maybe not.

Posted by: justmike | September 21, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Oh leave the girl alone, geez!! And where is she FAT? Real women have curves and are NOT ALL RAILS!! OMG!! I just defended Bristol Palin, I have to go wash my hands!! LOL

Posted by: Angryman | September 21, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

winemaster2 wrote>>>Like her mata hari, hypocrite, Sunday Christian evangelical opportunist mama

You got it! For the Palins, it's all about fame and raking in the moolah.

Posted by: angie12106 | September 21, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

The Palins win. We are all fools.

Posted by: Aerowaz | September 21, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Palin: the acorn didn't fall far from the tree. Enough.

Posted by: jckdoors | September 21, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

"The Situation swanned in to show rehearsals with only five days to go before the season debut and in the taped bits, immediately began to whine like a girl..." This article appears to have been written by a "woman"? Good, at least she admits women are whiners. I hate sexist talk, I'm just making a point, yet women being whiny is a truism.

Posted by: dietrichtimothy | September 21, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I am appalled at unwed mother, drop-out, unemployed Bristol Palin strutting around slutting it up on TV. The song choice and the fact that Bristol does not get that America is laughing at her is so sad. How disgusting and degrading! What kind of mother would counsel their kid to be exploited like this? Where are the morals of this family? Obviously, Sarah Palin is too busy preaching to the rest of us to be any kind of a positive influence to her own children.

Posted by: hockeymom1 | September 21, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

From these comments devoted almost exclusively to Bristol Palin, I would say the producers knew what they were doing when they cast her.
Re Margaret Cho, the golden Butterfly/bat wings and the wrap up had me laughing to tears...and I am a former competitive ballroom dancer with gold medals. I hope she is around for another week. Entertainment! Yes! Plus, for sure, she will lose weight...if she wants to.
Re Bristol Palin, this is a hard way to make money for herself and her child but most likely pays more than a receptionist if that's what she was doing. I respect anyone trying to make a lawful living, especially in these times. And anyone who watches the show knows that both men and women tend to lose weight and tone up--President's Fitness Council, take note!
Thanks, Ms. DeMoraes, for the blog. I'm a long-time print fan of yours and now look forward your blogs, as well.

Posted by: zerodefect01 | September 21, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I very much prefer the dancing as featured here:

Posted by: Skowronek | September 21, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

No comment.

Posted by: spk202 | September 21, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I think Bristol did good. I was shocked by how short her dress was, but she looked great. The reason her Mother didn't go on the show is because its impossible for her to write the moves on her hands.

Posted by: mselmo32 | September 21, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Now that Bristol Palin is on Dancing with the Stars,following that of Tom Delay, can we please put to rest the great myth, that liberals are some how entranced by Hollywood?
Bristol is the daughter of a loser Republican. If it were Chelsea Clinton, that would be different. Clinton is the daughter of winners, who won two terms as president, on the Democratic ticket. But Clinton is a very private person. I have never seen a Democrat on DWS, and yet we're supposed to be in love with this crap.

Posted by: bflaherty5 | September 21, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Ugh! Glad I don't have cable. Maybe she lose weight dancing.

Posted by: glenmayne | September 21, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Dancing with the fools, must be a new show.

Posted by: DIMMY | September 21, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I prefer this show for the dancing:

Posted by: Skowronek | September 21, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Oops. Sorry for the double-post! There was a lag.

Posted by: Skowronek | September 21, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

That photo of Bristol Palin immediately reminded me of a Jerry Lee Lewis song, "Big Legged Woman"

Posted by: rw-c | September 21, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

bristol spreading her legs, dancing for a change.

Posted by: calif-joe | September 21, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I am appalled at unwed mother, drop-out, unemployed Bristol Palin...

posted by Hockeymom1

To be fair to Bristol, she did graduate from high school.

Posted by: Skowronek | September 21, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

If there is a god in heaven "The Situation" will go to work and produce another Palin grandchild in time for Mama Grizzly's run for the White House.

Posted by: oldabandonedbeachhouse | September 21, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Uhh-gggg-blghhhhgrrp - I think I just threw up in my mouth. No, I'm ok. Is there a vaccine for the Palins? Maybe some ointment?

Posted by: billyjwilliams | September 21, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

That photo of the guy holding her leg is so awkward! I don't mean to be mean but it looks like he's barely holding on. His size doesn't go with the size of her leg/thigh. It's awful!!!

Posted by: dlucas1 | September 21, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

You people are so jealous, Bristol did great, she was nervous as hell, but like her Mom, she has courage.
Why are dems always so jealous of pretty women, ohhh, I get it, because all they have to look at is mo, pelosi, and boxxer, now that is a pack of dogs Woof,Woof, Woof.

Posted by: highwaybluesoccer | September 21, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

We all have the same, equal right to dance. I just would not watch this group, and they should probably steer away from political office.

Posted by: solid3 | September 21, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

That poor, poor girl... Is no one looking out for her?

Posted by: Bewildered4 | September 21, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I think she did ok.

The Situation, not so much.

Posted by: lindalovejones | September 21, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

What a sexist column. That Jersey guy "whined like a girl." We have to get the picture of a 70-ish year old woman having fun out of our head. No comment on Bruno's comment about whipping women (ponies) into shape. Really??

Posted by: retabroad | September 21, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Bristol Palin looks like she could use a better diet and stricter workout regime.

Posted by: micron26 | September 21, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I must have missed the part where the 'stars' showed up. All I saw were a bunch of washed-up two-bit actors and actresses. Plus a couple of washed-up athletes.

And there was Palin too. Hey, at least she's earning her paycheck here, I'm much rather see her doing this than preaching abstinence at $14,000 a speech.

Posted by: steve-2304 | September 21, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I am sorry - I could not just help thinking how chubby Ms. Palin looked. Mooooo!

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | September 21, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Is she pregnant again?

Posted by: Emmetrope | September 21, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I just hope Bristol doesn't get knocked-up by The Situation. Wouldn't that be a kick in the head!

Posted by: jake555 | September 21, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Reading these comments, you'd think the show was called Dancing with the Palins'.

Posted by: DumpsterDiving | September 21, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Criticize Bristol and you're labeled liberal. Teabagging redneck mentality.

Posted by: apocrypha | September 21, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I refuse to watch a show that seems to be a graveyard for washed up conservative politicians. My eyes are averted. I really don't want to see them shaking their stuff.

Posted by: SarahBB | September 21, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Sarah? How can you approve your teenage girl to be on this show. One thing is certain that you really loved the "spotlight." Know that these media people can make you famous and in the same token, they can break you.

Posted by: jnlg | September 21, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: highwaybluesoccer | September 21, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

/////////////////////////////////

Seriously? Jealous? Courage? They don't have courage! They have a self-centredness and absence of respect for themselves that wh*ring themselves on TV is OK, especially if it's for money.

Believe me, I can sleep very well at night knowing I haven't disgraced my family's name.

Posted by: obx2004 | September 21, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: highwaybluesoccer | September 21, 2010 10:53 AM
--------------------------------------------

The only guys who think women in politics are eyecandy are middle-age men who still live their mothers.

Posted by: oldabandonedbeachhouse | September 21, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

"...Maybe she lose weight dancing."

And maybe you'll learn how to write, but I don't hold out much hope for either.

Posted by: impeachemall | September 21, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

If someone says "you're not the WORST of the trailer trash", is that a good thing?

Posted by: pjohn2 | September 21, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't this be covered in People Magazine instead of here? But it is funny. LOL at the money hungry hillbilly!

Posted by: sr31 | September 21, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

There sure are a whole lot of racist comments towards Bristol on here....Oh wait, it can't be racist because she's white, I forgot. Oh, and all those saying that she needs to lose weight, what does that say about Michelle Obama who looks like she weighs a ton more?

Posted by: crazydude | September 21, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

It never ceases to amaze me how the liberal party preaches tolerance and equal rights for all---homosexuals, immigrants and illegal aliens, poor, animals, women, unwed mothers---UNLESS you happen to disagree with their politics.

The hatred, anger, and juvenile comments about Bristol Palin's weight, education, and child are ridiculous. There are other overweight people on the show, so this is obviously an attack based on her family's political views...is that right or fair>

Does she not have the same rights as everyone else just because her mom is a politico?

Do we judge gays based on how their parents feel about being gay, and use that to decide if being gay is okay?

Grow up, and stop all the nonsense. It's a reality show, and it's supposed to be fun and entertaining.

Hypocrites!

Posted by: dcjam2 | September 21, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

First, the article seems to be 90% Bristol bashing, and a forum for the commentators to follow suit. Talk about cyber-bullying.

This girl is just young, made a mistake, and cannot help whatever family she was born into. I don't think she would be getting all this negativity if she were, say,... Joe Biden's daughter.

Kelly Osbourne did not start off so well either, was a little overweight and also shy, but ended up well, and received empathy and encouragement instead of vitriol.

Posted by: inmanorj | September 21, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, does your paper ever lack an oportunity to be rude and snarky to a 19 year old girl trying to find her way in this world? What is it w/ you? Give the girl a break. Jeez.

Posted by: j751 | September 21, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Please, please, please, I beg you, stop giving the Palins, and I mean any Palin, coverage. It's like Groundhog Day with the Palin family - they have nothing of substance to offer but have found a way to profit immensely from the Republicans' huge mistake. They are nobodies, albeit very rich nobodies. Ignore them and maybe they will go away

Posted by: emm2 | September 21, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Drudge1 | September 21, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

"Bristol needs to work on her legs, enough celluitte in the photo above for a 40 year old woman. PS, get a high school degree; you will be the trailer queen!"

Sounds like 85% of the local females that work or should I say live in the District.

Posted by: crazydude | September 21, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

i liked watching Bristol shake her fat ass.

Posted by: danw1 | September 21, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Lisa de Moraes is a complete b!tch. I hope that she experiences the same pain in her personal life that she doles out on a daily basis. That would be sweet justice.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | September 21, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

The mean, hateful comments regarding Bristol Palin show the true colors of the liberal mindset. We know which party is the true party of hate.

As for me, I thought she looked pretty darn good.

Posted by: fishguts | September 21, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Poor Margaret Cho didn't know that if you are going to be a lousy dancer, you will get better scores on Dancing with the Stars if your Mama's last name is Palin, and she has a lot of money and power. $arah promised to come for the second episode to increase their viewers IF Bristol wasn't cut. The poor judges HAD to each give her 6 points--otherwise she would have had 15 points like the other three. Sarah would just laugh and say: "this is how pit bulls do business."

Posted by: Sheryn | September 21, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Bristol says her dress is 'modest'.

Bristol defines 'modesty' as clothing that is so short it allows your private lady parts to be seen when you pose with your leg up?

Maybe that's why she's an unmarried teen mom.

Also, why was Bristol talking about 'her and Levi's relationship'? I thought they were completely permanently 'broken up'. Is she going to tell us they're 'engaged' again? Snore . . . . . .

Posted by: momof20yo | September 21, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Hehe -- 'Thunder Thighs Bristol' goes on a dance show and all the Palin-loving-goobers show up here to comment and try to convince us all to worship her.

Sorry, but she's no better at anything -- especially looks -- than any other fat, homely 'Mercan un-wed mother.

But she's Simple Sarah's darling daughter, so of course we must all somehow award her credit for being worse than nothing much -- a typical example of your standard goober thinking on just about everything (at least when they bother to think).

Posted by: Frank57 | September 21, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

The former Alaska governor might not be the pushover some of her detractors believe when they suggest she'd be a dream candidate for President Barack Obama to knock off, Clinton said. “In the Republican primaries, she's very popular with the conservative base,” ABC’s chief political respondent quotes Clinton as saying in his blog, George’s Bottom Line. “She gets more people to come out. And she hasn't won all of her endorsements, but she's won most of them. And you know, she's a compelling, attractive figure.”
Clinton on SP:
"The former president, who convened the sixth annual meeting of his Clinton Global Initiative in New York this week, said, “I do think she’s a resilient character. . . . I think she's clearly a public figure who is, who speaks well and persuasively to the people who listen to her. And she's somebody to be reckoned with. And she's tough.”"

Posted by: chopkoski | September 22, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

"Washington Post TV critic Lisa de Moraes was taking after her colleague Tom Shales in hating Elisabeth Hasselbeck, whom she called the "token pretty blond Republican" on ABC's The View."
Guess she is out for everyone but Lady Gaga with whom she...anyway, there is also this:
"Inside, in an article surprisingly shy on her typical snark, TV columnist Lisa de Moraes also described the pairing as the "disgraced/rehabbed former governor Eliot Spitzer, the New York Democrat" vs. "Pulitzer-prize winning conservative columnist Kathleen Parker," syndicated by the Washington Post Writers Group (this could explain the lack of snark against Parker, if not Spitzer.)"
That is called the limits of the drawstring of the money pouch, or, is it the g-string? Questions, questions...

Posted by: chopkoski | September 22, 2010 12:39 AM | Report abuse

"...adds America's Most Famous Unwed Teen Mom, leaving us wondering whether she actually gets the double entendre-ness of the tune title".

===========================================
Haven't seen snide comments like this about other participants. But, then, this is The Washington Post and bashing Palin and her family members is a requirement. To all the vicious liberal posters. It was "Dancing with the Stars" not a political rally!

Posted by: bethg1841 | September 22, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Why was Palin's partner wallowing all over her? If some man was hugging all over my daughter like that I would be furious. That was sick.
That silly girl needs to be home taking care of her kid.

Posted by: DelorisDelio | September 22, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

While I am not a fan of Bristol or her mom I am still troubled at the attacks I have seen on the post in regards to her weight. Wow, I see nothing has changed...when people don't have anything constructive and of actual substance to contribute they go for the easiest hit...ragging on someone's weight. Very uncool and VERY uncalled for....We may not agree with Bristol on some issues and we may not agree with her mother on some issues but that is never a good reason to chop away at someone's self esteem...words that just take 5 seconds for the messanger to deliver can take a lifetime for the recipent to forget....

Posted by: LadyT1 | September 24, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse