Lisa's Favorite Sites

'Real Housewives' Michaele Salahi: I'm not anorexic, I have MS

This post has been updated throughout.

Tareq and Michaele Salahi put Bravo network and the other cast members of "The Real Housewives of DC" on notice when Michaele announced on Fox News Channel's "Fox & Friends" Wednesday morning that she suffers from Multiple Sclerosis.

salahi
"I've never had an eating disorder," Salahi told Fox News. (Neilson Barnard/Getty Images)

For the rest of the show's run, any time one of those other housewives makes a comment about how thin or frail-looking Michaele is - it's been one of the leitmotifs of this edition in Bravo's "Real Housewives" franchise - or rolls their eyes at something Michaele says or does, or says they don't want Michaele invited to their Fill In The Blank event, both that Other Housewife, and Bravo, are going to look really cold.

Even though all the comments and all the eye rolling you see Thursday nights on Bravo was shot months ago, before Michaele's big announcement on "Fox & Friends." Which totally will not matter to "Housewives" fans, who, like fans of so many other reality soaps, seem to enter a Wonderful World of Reality TV Time when they're watching their fave franchise.

Wednesday's announcement is a public relations blow to those other housewives who have been at war with Michaele and Tareq since the time of the show's debut. There was the wine throwing incident at Summer TV Press Tour 2010. And the tension on "The View" stage when they all had to share a sofa was so thick you could've sliced off a wedge and spread it on a cracker -- though the biggest screaming match wound up being backstage between the Salahis and show co-host Whoopi Goldberg.

Cameron Blanchard, senior vp communications for Bravo and Oxygen networks, told The TV Column Wednesday morning "Michaele did not inform Bravo or Bravo's production company before or during production that she has MS."

Bravo has no plans to go into the remaining episodes of the first season to make any changes based on the Salahi's announcement on FNC, Blanchard added.

Asked whether Michaele's announcement would have any impact on a possible second season of the show, Blanchard responded, "We are focused on this season, which still has several episodes to go. We don't make decisions about a season 2 on a series until its freshman cycle is completed."

Yes, "The Real Housewives of DC" has now officially turned into "The Michaele Salahi Show."

Technically, it was Diane Dimond, who has written the new book, "Cirque Du Salahi," who made the announcement on FNC Wednesday morning.

The Salahis were there to plug the book and because they had, as show co-host Gretchen Carlson put it, "a major announcement to make exclusively here on 'Fox & Friends'."

Michaele, sitting with husband Tareq, started to make the big reveal:

"I don't deal with anorexic. I'm not an anorexic and I've never had an eating disorder," She began. "But one thing I have kept a secret is, for 17 years...."

She became too choked up to continue. Dimond jumped in:

"For 17 years Michaele has suffered from Multiple Sclerosis. And when I watch 'The Real Housewives of DC' and I see this storyline of them picking on her, frankly - you know, there's always got to be somebody in those [reality series soaps] casts they pick on, and it happens to be Michaele: 'Ooh, she's anorexic, we have to have an intervention!'
"It keeps the storyline flowing," Dimond continued. "But unfortunately it's not true, just like it wasn't true that they were gate crashers."

Speaking of gate crashing, the Salahis took the occasion to once again say they did not crash that White House state dinner back in November. Dimond, who wrote the book with the cooperation of the Salahis, also told Carlson, "I talked to a lot of my secret service sources [and asked] 'Can they have gate crashed?' and the answer kept coming back, 'No -- the gate had to have opened, and they have to have been allowed in'."

Dimond told Carlson the report about the gate crashing "there was a lot of sloppy reporting from the get-go here by two people, I believe, at The Washington Post over Thanksgiving weekend."

"We will let The Post's reporting speak for itself and the Salahis speak for themselves," The Washington Post responded Wednesday.

Here are a few of the reports that appeared in the Post about the Salahis and that dinner.

But wait -- there's more!

On Wednesday's FNC appearance, Tareq told Carlson, "We couldn't in the beginning come out and just say that we didn't party crash because there were contracts that we had to deal with and then, of course, attorney got involved."

And, a news release publicizing the new book on the Web site of the PR firm Mouth Public Relations, says the Salahis did not did not "fully and publicly explain" what happened that night "On attorney's advice, and because of their 'iron clad' contracts" with Bravo.

Wednesday afternoon, Bravo, which says it has a contract with the Salahis to appear in the show "The Real Housewives of DC," issued the following statement:

"The notion that the Salahis have been barred under their contracts relating to 'The Real Housewives of D.C.' from speaking about their attendance at the White House State Dinner is simply not true. From the time of the incident until now, Bravo and Half Yard Productions, the producer of the series, have consistently and repeatedly stated to the Salahis and their representatives that they were free to speak to press, law enforcement, Congress and anyone else about attending the State Dinner. Indeed, they have given multiple press interviews on that very subject."

By Lisa de Moraes  |  September 15, 2010; 4:12 PM ET
Categories:  Local TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: TBS finally admits "My Boys" is toast
Next: Bristol Palin: Mom will show up on "Dancing"-- at some time

Comments

Um, I'm confused. MS has nothing to do with being thin. My mom has had MS for almost 20 years. It affects your nerves and causes weakness or difficulty feeling and controlling various part of your body. MS would not cause someone to be thin, IF THEY ACTUALLY ATE ENOUGH. Unless her arms are so weak that she cannot manage to lift food into her mouth, MS is not the problem. So, she may very well have MS, but it has nothing to do with her weight. On behalf of MS sufferers, I am offended by her using it as an excuse for her weight (or lack thereof).

Posted by: SweetieJ | September 15, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

MS shouldn't be an excuse for acting like a crazy B. I don't think the other housewives will look bad when they call her out on the bs she and Tariq do (and what's his excuse?). I'm not being insensitive to people with MS, just the Salahis.

Posted by: mdem929 | September 15, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I can't be the only one who reads this and thinks "more half-truths and lies"?

Posted by: reiflame1 | September 15, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I loved her statement that they left the White House dinner because her MS was acting up. It had nothing to do with the fact they were crashing the event! LOL

Posted by: buffysummers | September 15, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

It's not everyday you hear such good news, however it would've been better if she was never born.

Posted by: kenk3 | September 15, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Um, as someone who has suffered from MS for 6 years, I have some experience with the "MS makes you thin" argument. There are a few reasons it can affect weight.

First is that because MS affects your nerve and muscle function, your body burns more calories doing the same things, because you have to work harder. Second, your appetite, sense of smell, and sense of taste can be affected, so you don't even feel like eating a lot of the time.

Will it automatically make someone rail-thin? No. But ridiculing her explanation as false without knowing is a bit insensitive, in my opinion.

Posted by: cummingsme | September 15, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

"But one thing I have kept a secret is, for 17 years...."

Whether she was ever diagnosed with MS is subject to debate, but this statement is absolutely false.

In point of fact, the Salahis' now-defunct "charity", Journey for the Cure Foundaton, [presently under investigation by at least the Commonwealth of Virginia if not the IRS as well], publicly touted the fact that Michaele was "diagnosed with MS as a child" in an obvious attempt to garner sympathy and donations to their so-called "charity".

The MS claim may be true, maybe not.

But to state this was some "secret" justifying tears is absolutely false.

More lies from consummate liars? You be the judge.

Posted by: LAWPOOL | September 15, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

@LAWPOOL: Good work! Solid research.

MS -- maybe.

BS -- definitely!

Posted by: Meridian1 | September 15, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

at least i know that if i need a source about ms or white house protocol i should get in touch with diane dimond who can also advise me on how meditation can improve my life. please.

Posted by: george32 | September 15, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

So are we supposed to feel sorry for her? Is she to be forgiven for all her lies? Are we to just say, "ah..she deserves to live the lifestyle in which they were trying to live meanwhile stiffing all their creditors?" As SweetieJ points out MS does not make you thin. In fact I have noticed MS patients to often times go the other way because their energy and mobility are decreased and they tend to gain weight.
They had to leave the state dinner because of the MS. I am sorry. This is nothing more than the boy who cried wolf. How can she believed? All one has to do is look at their dubious charity dealings. Salahi recently turned her dress over to an auction house for which 80% were to be donated to charity (20% in the Salahis' pocket). Which charity? An MS charity? No, the proceeds are to go to Haiti. Their now defunct charity, Journey to the Cure, was described as benefiting multiple children charities. MS is an adult disease. The Journey for the Cure Foundation reported taking in $19,098.91 in donations in 2008, but disbursing just $690 to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and $20 to the U.S. Navy Memorial Fund. According to records filed with the Commonwealth of Virginia, the foundation spent $7,200 for professional fees, $5,300 for travel, $819 on office supplies, $1,200 on bank fees, and $5,823 on fundraising and meals. Tareq Salahi told the Washington Post in 2008 that he had raised $250,000 for his charity, Journey for the Cure. If you had MS wouldn't you be making all your charitable donations toward MS? If you are a well known as a philanthropist wouldn't you be known as championing MS causes? If you had MS and became famous wouldn't you use your celebrity to bring awareness? Why would you hide it for 17 years?
People with MS need to avoid stress. Why would you put yourself under the stress of RHODC if you have been suffering with it for 17 years.
I do not need to read Diane Diamonds book because I know there is no proof in there that they didn't crash the White House. When Salahi grows up, stops lying, and acts responsible maybe she will be deserving of empathy.
Join our Facebook page: Tell the White House Party Crashers to Go Away http://www.facebook.com/WhiteHousePartyCrashers

Posted by: seraphina2 | September 15, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but who cares and why are these gate crashing deadbeats given any air time whatsoever? What's next? a telethon for loser wannabees?

Posted by: Mary12345 | September 15, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Lisa, are you really ready to believe this without further investigation? These are people that live their lives by telling big lies. How do we know this one is true? Perhaps the FBI is already investigating this.

Posted by: jacobson98 | September 15, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I have a sister and a niece who both have MS, and I truly hope Ms Salahi is not using the fact that she has MS to garner sympathy and understanding for her recent words and actions. My sister and niece both struggle daily to endure the pain and to maintain the semblance of a normal life in spite of MS. I would be so offended if it should be revealed that it is not true that Ms Salahi has MS. Having MS does not explain nor excuse bad behavior.

Posted by: mck53092 | September 15, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

MS is often misdiagnosed Aspartame Poisoning. My friends dad was diagnosed in 1999, then I told him to quit Diet Soda (which he drank 6 cans a day of) and his MS went away. Montel Williams had a similar story. Aspartame (Nutra Sweet) turns to formaldehyde at 80 degrees and causes Methadone toxicity, which exploits the weakness of the consumer and can cause myriad symptoms. If you drink diet coke or chew sugar-free gum and have any nervous disorder, know that Aspartame (and MSG) are neuro-toxic.

Posted by: naturalkirk | September 15, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

So why did she "have to keep it a secret" for 17 years? This means there is shame in having MS? And what's up with being too choked up to reveal it in a complete sentence?? If she's dealt w/it for 17 years, then why get choked up about it like its fresh on her mind??

Makes no sense. She is a professional media grifter.

Posted by: cageyonerob | September 15, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Agree with SweetieJ. I know a number of people with MS and none of them is unusually thin. I doubt MS has anything to do with her weight. If she really does have MS then I wish her well. I hope she is not just exploiting the condition to get more attention and sympathy for herself.

Posted by: jayelle5 | September 15, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm calling BS on this one. The next thing we will hear is that they can't pay their bills because of the MS. Yah sure.

Posted by: nomorewholefoods | September 15, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Being _M_ichaele _S_alahi is affliction enough.

Posted by: mattintx | September 15, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Sorry - but I'd have to see a doctor's note before I buy this one. One of my husband's best friends has MS and it's an incredibly debiliating disease. I find it really, really hard to believe that someone that has had MS for an entire 17 years is able to ride a horse and/or to get on a football field for a half-time show to try their hand at professional cheerleading.

As medical records are completely confidential - this is literally impossible to confirm. Unless they provide them which of course they won't.

Posted by: jennifers1 | September 15, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

@mattintx: LOL, your quip is hilarious!!

Posted by: cageyonerob | September 15, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe it for one second.

Posted by: kbockl | September 15, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

PUhlaese. This may be the one time she is telling the truth, but without an independent medical confirmation, I wouldn't believe anything these people say. They couldn't give you a weather report without a PR spin or some other thing that is simply false. They've managed to build a persona on a reality that exists only to them. Very sad bunch of folks, really.

Posted by: sassafrasnewport | September 15, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Bravo can join the list of the victims of these people. Those on Fox who defend these people will have egg on their face soon enough.

Posted by: sassafrasnewport | September 15, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

This smells like another publicity stunt. If it's true, we can all rejoice that at some point, this vacuous hag will no longer be able to be on TV. With all the lawsuits going on against them, why aren't they in jail for fraud?

Posted by: panamajack | September 15, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Dimond continued. "But unfortunately it's [her having anorexia] not true, just like it wasn't true that they were gate crashers."
* * *
Well, by that logic, DUH!!!

Posted by: 7900rmc | September 15, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

LAWPOOL:

I offer you one of the coolest websites I've found this year: Internet Wayback Machine. Unlike Google cache, it archives entire websites, showing all pages and all updates over a period of years.

Here is their listing for The Journey for The Cure Foundation website from March 2004 to July 2008:

Posted by: MeriJ | September 15, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I visited the Journal For the Cure Foundation website as recently as December 2009, so I'm not sure why the archive ends in July 2008. Usually it's only 6 months or so behind in real time.

Posted by: MeriJ | September 15, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

God Bless Michaele and what a lovely lady with great strength and grace. Most of these postings above are rachel janickey harshman (felon from fairfax county) who is obsessed with Michaele Salahi.
rachel 'lawpoop" get a life.
Michaele saw you on tv today , you are great

Keep rising above as you do.

Posted by: sunnylady138 | September 15, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

kenk3-methinks you need to cut the crap on the Salahi's. While their antics are ridiculous and they are dishonest wannabees - you have proven yourself to be just a low with your nasty comments.

Posted by: gamecock1 | September 15, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

"Because Michaele was diagnosed with MS, Journey for the Cure is passionate about finding a cure for multiple sclerosis"

Posted by: MeriJ | September 15, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

The point being that in the interview today they claimed this was a dark secret that not even their family or friends knew about for 17 years....

Posted by: MeriJ | September 15, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

To sunnylady138: Hi, Michaele!

Posted by: kellyozz | September 15, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

> "To sunnylady138: Hi, Michaele!"

Or maybe Jennifer Wood...

Posted by: MeriJ | September 15, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Yeah! And I have AIDS!!! Unbelievable.

Posted by: luvleep | September 15, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I am a registered nurse. I was diagnosed with MS in 1986. I obviously have done an enormous amount of research into the disease.
I can not say for certain whether this 'lady' [term loosely used], has MS or not. I can say for certainty that her anorexic appearance has nothing to do with the disease. I can also say with certainty that her activity level and life style belie her statement that she has MS.
The pain, weakness, and neurologic impairments are at times totally immobilizing. I have remitting relapsing. I was able to continue working, with difficulty, until 1997. MS is a progressive disease, regardless of the type you have. Ms Salahi, with her penchant for publicity, has visually shown us that she has never displayed symptoms.
She cheapens all of us struggling with MS when she makes these assertions.
I will encourage the MS Society to follow up with this-It angers me to no end when people use an illness as an excuse for their own behavior.

Posted by: alyd69 | September 15, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Uh...more from these people? Make them go away.
Don't they realize that if she has MS, that's truly awful...but as for their being annoying pseudo-celebrities...nobody cares.

Posted by: uplandermom78 | September 15, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

"In proof of LAWPOOL's contention that the MS thing is not actually a new claim for the Salahis, do a google search for the following phrase:

Posted by: MeriJ | September 15, 2010 2:23 PM |"

Journey for the Cure is a defunct charity scam perpetrated by the Salahi's. They started it, and after all the contributers eventually recognized it for a scam, they all backed out and the charity scam went belly up. The only Google references you find are of their own making.

Posted by: alyd69 | September 15, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

A scary thought..if the Scam-lahis teamed up with Kate Gosselin for a PR & media blitz, it would probably bring all communication systems (TV/radio/Internet/print media, etc) to a screeching halt.

I don't believe much of what the woman says. I do think MS can be mild or severe or somewhere in between like many diseases..still can't accept her word on anything..

Posted by: sarahbonnie1 | September 15, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I am pleased that others have independently confirmed that which I previously knew. I stand by the facts reflected in the public records and don't make this stuff up. Sometimes I will post an opinion, but I do not post statements of fact unless I have the personal knowledge/documentation to back it up.

Was Michaele diagnosed with MS years ago?
Don't know. And, frankly, don't care.

Was it some deep dark secret just revealed for the first time on Fox the other night?
CERTAINLY NOT. The Salahis have been playing that card for years, so please spare me and the American public the BS tears in spilling this bogus "secret".

The Salahis voluntarily ascended the virtual stage/gallows in the public square. Their continued BS in the press has given them more than the necessary amount of rope to hang themselves, without much promptimg from the commenters here.

You know, what your mother told you was so very true: Little fibs lead to bigger lies.

Most liars have a tendency not to remember what they said before, since it is not a function of reality and, therefore, it sometimes is relatively easy to catch them in their continued deception, since their story does have a tendency to change upon the circumstances they are faced with.

And a final thought: If the prestigous "investigate reporter" and "acclaimed author" Diane Dimond somehow bought into the fairy tale that this MS BS was some deep dark secret never shared by the Salahis with anyone, even family, well, what does that really say for her "investigative" skills?

Hell, I found that reference to Missy's purported affliction in early 2009, long before most people had ever heard of the Salahis.

"Be careful who you trust"? Yeah, well, they at least got that right.

My thoughts.

Posted by: LAWPOOL | September 15, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

"The truth will set you free", but that does not seem to be the case with the Salahis. It seems like everytime they told the "truth" it is like a web that keeps on tangling, thus trapping inside more lies, until they can no longer extricate themselves from the mess that they put themselves in. The question is, why in heavens name are we even bothering to buy everything that they are saying? We are all probably the most moronic suckers there ever are on the face of the earth to even entertain them in our living room, much less spend time writing about it (like now). For as long as we are buying their act, they will not disappear from the scene.

Posted by: sentidocomun | September 15, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

You know, as sick as I am of the Salahis and think they deserve their comeuppance... I think people are correlating unrelated statements and jumping to conclusions. Michaele sounds like she's saying, "I don't have anorexia. However I do have MS"; she's not trying to blame her skinniness on MS.

Posted by: Pramster | September 15, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Salahi should just pull a Anna Nicole Smith and be done with it.

Posted by: kenk3 | September 15, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Another final thought,

Sunnylady138:

Hi Missy. I must seriously question why you are spending your time engaging in posting your idiotic psychobabble on-line when you and your hubby would be well-advised to devote your time to preparing for all of those pesky court cases coming up this month.

And, by the way, when are you going to realize I am not "Rachel", whomever that might be?

As you are fond of saying,
XOXOXO I love you!

Posted by: LAWPOOL | September 15, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

If you haven't seen the full eight minute clip of the interview this morning, go here:

Posted by: MeriJ | September 15, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Rachel Harshman is a real person, a former BFF friend of Michaele's.

What's either odd or disingenuous, LAWPOOL, is that they haven't figured out that you aren't even a woman!

Personally, I don't know that it's Michaele making those sock puppet posts. Odds are that it's her, her assistant Jen or Tareq. But it could be a friend of hers -- or even one of us trying to make the Salahis look worse than they do on their own!

Whoever it is, he or she posts all over the Internet using different names but the exact same words. Sunnylady138 is just another fake ID to add to the collection.

Posted by: MeriJ | September 15, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

How much ya'll want to bet that the couple from way past hell come up with an MD confirming that she does indeed have MS? Of course his "degree" might be from the Jamaican Holistic Marley Medical Institute. And you can get an application for the "institute" found on the side of any bong sold through our outlet store...

Posted by: semilost44 | September 15, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

MeriJ:

Thank you for the link to that clip.
Is it just me, or does all of that seem just more than a bit staged?

Then again, you've got to admit, and I will give credit when credit is due, those people seem to be very, very good at what they do best.

I, for one, wouldn't trust these people whom I consider sociopathic liars as far as I could throw them.

Just my opinion.

Posted by: LAWPOOL | September 15, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

This is just more bs from ms. Another way to get publicity, nothing more than that!

Posted by: rmarinko | September 15, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone really believe this story? Unlike others who suck on the teat of guilty pleasures TV, I'll await a full public disclosure by a real medical authority who can document both the time and the actual condition before I would give this story any credence.

Posted by: keithmckenzie | September 15, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Check out Lisa's edits to the article above. If you haven't reread it for a few hours, there's a lot of new material.

Her dry reporting on how Diane Dimond knew from the start that the gatecrashing story was bogus is especially amusing.

Two of my fave moments from the full interview:

MS: "My husband has played polo many times with Prince Charles."

TS: "When [Whoopi Goldberg] was attacking Michaele with that foul language, that doesn't help Michaele with her health condition."

BTW, Pramster, the set-up for the multiple sclerosis reveal was clearly framed as a rebuttal to the "too thin" comments. But I like what you posted, because it's true that we often make that mistake.

Posted by: MeriJ | September 15, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jlh6789 | September 15, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

A bit staged? Hello, it's a book tour.

But I have been wondering exactly how close Lisa Bloom and Diane Dimond were prior to joining forces on the Salahi PR wagon.

From what I've read so far, it sounds like Dimond does not present a pure team Salahi storyline, except on the WH escapade.

So my conspiratorial mind imagines her being invited to write this whitewash book but agreeing to put her "investigative reporter" credentials on the line only if she's free to point out duplicity in other areas of their life.

Baseless speculation? Sure. But, hey, that's how we roll here in the WaPo Comments section!

Posted by: MeriJ | September 15, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

What a poor way to gain sympathy,blaming ms on all the deceptive things she and her husband do.

Posted by: vgodley1 | September 15, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

So good to know about that aspartame thing. Thanks so much.

Posted by: MeriJ | September 15, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I just want to know why - after repeatedly patting herself on the back for doing charity work - is she not a champion for MS charities? Doesn't anyone else think that is strange? Every bio you read or every time she opens her mouth to tell you how wonderful she is and all the money she has raised for charity you would think she would be raising awareness and money for MS. Why are her charities always leukemia or military organizations?

Posted by: seraphina2 | September 15, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

WHO CARES! These people are worthless. Turn it off.

Posted by: mjwies11 | September 15, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I have MS, & know lots of women & men, from obese to excruciatingly thin, who also have it. Everyone's MS is different. Children can be diagnosed with MS. Not everything this woman says is necessarily a lie.

Posted by: ekelks | September 15, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Hey alyd69!

I hadn't realised that just because you're a RN (with MS to boot) that that qualifies you to diagnose someone without having examined them or their medical records. I certainly wasn't aware that a RN could diagnose ANYTHING as that is what MDs do. I now know that you are not a nurse I ever need to see as your knee jerk diagnoses will certainly result in either death or disability!

Posted by: inyourdreams | September 15, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

These comments/claims continually espoused by the Salahis is just so downright bizarre that no reasonably intelligent or rational person could ever make it up. You can't make this sort of stuff up.

Their pathetic lives seem more like a narrative from a humorous Dave Berry column than anything close to a "reality" I think most of us might share.

Don't try to figure them out-- you'll only get a headache.

My opinion.

Posted by: LAWPOOL | September 15, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Now she has MS. I wish she would have the courage to finally admit to being born a Male. I mean, seriously that adams apple jutting out from her throat cant be a result of having MS.

Posted by: Holly1971 | September 15, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

ekelks is right. Making blanket statements about MS to counter the Salahis is helpful. Often what we call one disease is actually many different diseases with subtle or not so subtle variations.

Also I'm just about certain that the Journey for the Cure Foundation did list the MS Society as one of the organizations it supported. I remember this because MS matched Michaele's initials.

However, they also claimed that 100% of the Foundation's funding went to charity, since they had no employees. And the one year I saw financials, it was closer to 10% that went to charity. Which is unheard of in legitimate philanthropy circles.

Posted by: MeriJ | September 15, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I meant to say:

Making blanket statements about MS to counter the Salahis is *not* helpful.

Posted by: MeriJ | September 15, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I want to see the Dr. reports that this fake , phoney and fraud has M.S.The only thing this Salahi woman has is the ability to not tell the truth.

Posted by: wts1574 | September 15, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Why aren't these two in jail? Let two well-dressed black people "crash" a party at the White House, see if they aren't sent right to jail... the Secret Service would only let something like this happen with a black president... There's NO WAY they should be banking off of this incident. They should've been charged and convicted.

Posted by: fbutler1 | September 15, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Regardless...MS or no MS there is no excuse for their ridiculous behavior. They want to be famous..well welcome to fame and all its scrutiny.

Posted by: seraphina2 | September 15, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tareq -Liar liar pants on fire.
Hey Salahi lady - You are full of crap.

Posted by: wts1574 | September 15, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Why do you continue to give this piece of crap the publicity she so desperately seeks?

Posted by: pogo2 | September 15, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pogo2 | September 15, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

This article is incredible!
"Dimond ...told Carlson, "I talked to a lot of my secret service sources [and asked]'Can they have gate crashed?' and the answer kept coming back, 'No -- the gate had to have opened, and they have to have been allowed in'."

Talk about spinning BS! Her 'secret service sources'? Are we to believe that this lady interviewed members of the Secret Service or is there a reason that 'secret service' in not in caps?

"Tareq told Carlson, "We couldn't in the beginning come out and just say that we didn't party crash because there were contracts that we had to deal..."

You were suspected of crashing the White House and you couldn't say you didn't because of some contract? Talk about throwing BS around! They had a contract that prevent them from talking to the United States Congress, Secret Service, and law enforcement?

And as far as Michaele Salahi having MS, she never said she had it.
It was Diane Dimond, who is writing a book about Michelle, who actually said she had MS. So if we later find out that she dosen't have MS she can truefully say SHE never said she had MS.

My God, will this soap opera never end?

Posted by: Jimof1913 | September 15, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

It's interesting that she never says, "I have MS." Or anything close to it. She got "choked up" at just the right moment. (And got un-choked up just as fast; the camera did her no favors by failing to cut away from her face once Dimond stepped in.) Even her husband doesn't say she has MS...he just talks about "her condition." The only person who actually says the lie is Dimond. Well played, Salahis, well played.

Posted by: Vails1 | September 15, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

More cons from the consummate grifters.

Do they ever do ANYTHING that's not a con?

Posted by: postfan1 | September 15, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

And if you believe this latest tear-jerker from the Salahis, I have a piece of volcanic property in Washington State to sell you.

By the way, their book will actually be very useful - in the same way that Sears Roebuck catalogs were useful in farm outhouses a century ago.

Posted by: ehsmith1 | September 15, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Pretty funny that the Salahis and Ms. Diamond seem to be equating "gate crashing" with "forcible entry" (i.e., "Can they have gate crashed?...No -- the gate had to have opened, and they have to have been allowed in."). No one is suggesting that the Salahis stormed the White House gates. Gaining entrance through deception is still "gate crashing." If your name was not on the official list, and you did not receive an invitation directly from the White House, you were not invited. Period.

If the head of the Secret Service has admitted, publicly, against his and the Service's interests -- and to their great shame -- that the Salahi's crashed the dinner, that carries a lot more weight than Ms. Diamond's unnamed "sources".

The Salahis say they can speak freely now, so let's see their invitation. No one as status-conscious as they are would ever throw that away. It would have been posted right away on Facebook.

Posted by: HImom | September 15, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

THIS JUST IN!!! Michaele Salahi Has MS!!!

THIS JUST IN!!! NO ONE CARES!!! Enough of this media w**re already...

P.S. The Washington Post was once a valued source of news and opinion. It was the paper that broke Watergate... well look at you now covering Michaele Salahi like it were a real news story. You are nothing more than the propaganda wing for the tyrants who rule over us with utter disdain.

Posted by: tberry1 | September 15, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

You know, with the exception of one comment here obviously posted by the Salahis under one of their various screen names, you just gotta appreciate all of the other comments. This is not rocket science.

The scary part, the really scary part about all of this sordid story is that the Salahis may just believe, as part of their apparent continuing self-delusion, reinforced by the likes of Lisa Bloom and Diane Dimond, that they are simply mis-portrayed and "misunderstood".

I think I understand them quite well, as well as all of the other legitimate commenters here, and others on practically every other post in connection with any other published story in the Washington Post or other publications for the past 10 months or so.

They seem to fail to understand and appreciate that the old adage of 'no publicity is bad publicity' just maybe might not sort of apply in every circumstance, such as their own.

Fine, I, for one, say continue to give them all the rope they need to hang themselves.

Every time they make what some might believe is a "questionable" statement, someone will be there to possibly counter that and to show them for what they are.

Works for me. But, then again, maybe their intentions are pure as the new-fallen snow and they are simply misunderstood victims of unfortunate circumstances.

I've already made up my mind. But it is not my place to convince you. You examine the record and you be the judge.

Posted by: LAWPOOL | September 15, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

I think Sarah Palin gave birth to the Salahi's!

Posted by: rkayblock1 | September 15, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

The journey for the Cure, as noted by LAWPOOL, is being investigated as a fraud. It might also be noted that the Tareq Salahi claimed at one point to have suffered from some nebulous form of lymphoma. These cretins have no shame.

Posted by: dannyshiba | September 15, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

On another note, as the lie pile up, Tareq Salahi accused another housewife's daughter of being involved in the theft of a car and some polo gear which was being investigated by the FBI. The FBI does not get involved in larcenies quite simply because there is not federal larceny charge. Mr. Andy Cohen does not care what kind of people he puts on these shows. Don't even get started on tha crazy Teresa and Juicy Joe who are now in danger of prison time for tax evasion and bankruptcy fraud.

Posted by: dannyshiba | September 15, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm sdorry, here we go again, with these nobodies who can't stop forcing their nothingness upon us.... and the Post cooperates. MAKE THEM GO AWAY.

Posted by: surf_spurs | September 15, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

I live in Montco, where many of those court cases will be tried soon. When I think of people like the Salahi's, I wish we still had debtor's prison.

Posted by: SlothRoth | September 15, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Nothing the Salahis say matters one iota. They are nobodies going nowhere and doing nothing of value for anyone.

Posted by: merrill1 | September 15, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

MS my ass. My dad has had MS for close to 20 years and looks nmothing like this dumb ass. She's a fraud and I'd be it's a stunt just like her screwed up life as an adult. There's damage to her body but it's IN HER HEAD. She's a silly little fairy like her old man.

Posted by: MrBinx | September 15, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

The Salahis are liars, crooks and grifters, of this there is no doubt. As to the MS, I would like to see this documented by a real neurologist. I know two people who have MS and I can sure tell you that if Salahi has had MS for 17 years, she most likely would not be walking well, if at all. I would hazard that this MS thing is about as real as those invitations to the White House, i.e. pure fabrication.

Posted by: fwillyhess | September 15, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

ugh.

Posted by: wifeshee | September 15, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to hear this, awful news, get well......Now please just LEAVE, we've had way too much of you and your cheeseball, social climber buffoon of a husband.

Posted by: wma98 | September 15, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so she's anorexic and has MS, Lucky her!! LMAO ; )

Posted by: wifeshee | September 15, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Grifters. Annette Funicello must be appalled.

Multiple sclerosis can cause the loss of the ability to walk or speak. That's WAY overdue in this case!

Posted by: IrishRed | September 15, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

MS?? What a remarkable 'recovery' if she has had it for 17 years!(?) I have friends who cannot raise their arms - Michael is literally THROWING her arms around everyone and anyone she happens to meet. Also - quite fitting that she should 'spill' the "story" on FOX News - noted for its lies, misstatements, horrendous bad reporting of the truth.

Posted by: rbsher | September 15, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

The ONLY MS that Michaele Salahi has is
MASTER SCAMMER or is it that MS are her initials!!! PLEASE go away.

Posted by: Sandinshoes | September 15, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

I didn't read this article. I just wanted to say how ridiculous it is that the Washington Post would waste any ink (metaphorically speaking) on her or her husband, or that anyone with half a brain would want to read it.

Get a life people...or at least choose someone with some redeeming qualities to live your virtual life for you.

Posted by: worgadd1 | September 15, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

MeriJ - my bad, didn't see the clips, just read DeMoraes' article :)

Posted by: Pramster | September 15, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

And I only searched for the full clip because of your post, so I owe you! It was well worth the search.

Showing the clip to my sweetie this evening, I was impressed by how convincing Michaele was. If they hadn't made the eye rolling claim in the book that they only left the WH dinner (just before not having a seat) due to the MS, I might have believed more of it myself.

Michaele probably does think she has MS and maybe even does. It just has nothing whatsoever to do with anything that they're accused of. Classic misdirection.

Posted by: MeriJ | September 16, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

WHY DOES ANYONE CARE? This is a private medical matter involving a woman that is exploiting even herself for fame. She and her husband are a sad spectacle. Deal with your "MS" in private, Michaele. Oh, and "MS" doesn't involve making yourself throw up after a meal, but since she doesn't live in reality, I guess that means her definitions don't need to either.

Posted by: pjglazer | September 16, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse

IN REPLY TO:

Hey alyd69!

Posted by: inyourdreams | September 15, 2010 5:10 PM

You may want to consider therapy for that "knee jerk" anger.
I specifically stated that I could NOT say whether she had MS.
Yes, my medical background and my own disease give me the credentials to have an opinion.
Even with mild remitting/relapsing MS, each time you have a relapse a permanent neurological deficit is left. The longer you have this disease the more debilitated you become with each relapse. Based on the fact that she asserts to have had this disease for 17 years, added to the documented ACTIVE lifestlye she leads it is HIGHLY unlikely she has MS. Did you know that long term MS persons have a gait that any professional or MS patient can recognize? No, of course you didn't. That would require knowledge.

Posted by: alyd69 | September 16, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse

LOL@IrishRed !!

Posted by: semilost44 | September 16, 2010 6:13 AM | Report abuse

Well, I too suffer from MS like many others who commented. I was diagnosed 2 years ago at 47. I am up front about it sometimes but I mostly keep to myself. If she was diagnosed 17 years ago, there were not many treatments available, so I very wary of her claim.

Currently, I am "better living through chemistry" and I know it. I take 8 prescriptions a day. There was no mention of medications. She doesn't even mention an MS maintenance drug. They are several out there, but not once did it get mentioned during the interview. And you just get it anywhere, your neurologist needs to get it first, then you can get it through mail after that.

Yesterday, I met a woman who had been diagnosed 6 months less than me. She walked with a cane and was better looking than Ms. Salahi.

Posted by: taocpa | September 16, 2010 6:38 AM | Report abuse

I would hope that Ms. Salahi's challenge with MS is a defining moment that will humble her and her husband. But sympathy will be lacking if they both continue to take advantage of people in their quest for fame.

Posted by: bobbo2 | September 16, 2010 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Waaaaa...and all that hostility on the Real Housewives is only making it worse...waaaaa...

Suggestion. Stay out of the public eye and no one will stress you out by criticizing your shameless, attention-grabbing behaviors.

Posted by: arancia12 | September 16, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Oh and it makes no sense that the White House would have tolerated being called incompetent for letting the Salahi's crash their party if in fact, they didn't.

Life would have been much easier for the W/H staff if they could have said they were invited.

Half truths? More like no truths.

Posted by: arancia12 | September 16, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Ok - this is our new story. We left the White House because of some "MS Episode". I thought the previous story was they left the White House because they believed they had been invited to the "Arrival Ceremony".

Apparently, though the episode that was bad enough to make then leave a STATE DINNER - was over quickly enough for them to go across the street for a drink at the Hay Adams. I guess another "MS Episode" is why they left without paying the bill...

No, sorry - still don't believe a word these two stay. It looks like the last gasp of desperation....

Posted by: jennifers1 | September 16, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Oh, if only I cared about this drama queen.

Posted by: whocares666 | September 16, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

...tell me again why we STILL care about what she has to say? A book?

Posted by: blaknes | September 16, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

hahahahahahahaha! Seriously, someone actually thought people would buy a BOOK about these people?! Only in America...

Posted by: Orsalia | September 16, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Talk about a ploy to gain more attention!

And the media will sure give it to her.

But this stunt might have worked better if she'd chosen breast cancer as her alleged malady.

Posted by: kinkysr | September 16, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't want to be unkind, but are the Salahis speaking the truth about this MS diagnosis?

Very little of what they have said is the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I'll believe the MS diagnosis when it is verified by a credible medical source. Show me the records.

As it is, we have here a disease of variable symptoms and variable progress that can also be hard to diagnose. It could easily be chosen by someone who seeks public sympathy. You don't have to look ill to have it and symptoms and treatment can be vague. And we know the Salahis are shameless and prone to dissembling and making false statements.

Or this could be like the boy who cries worlf: by the time the Salahis speak the truth they've told so many lies that no one believes them.

Posted by: cassandra9 | September 16, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

i agree with cassandra9...
how in the world do we know they aren't lying again?
they have obviously mislead many people in their charity ventures and would imagine that they were paid to work at their own charity as well...so why in the world would anyone feel sorry for these two con artists?

Posted by: hemnebob | September 16, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Be ready for the announcement that Machaele is dying of cancer as the Salahi movie is released.

Posted by: seraphina2 | September 16, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I've had a couple close friends with MS, and I've known many people with the disease, and some good doctor's who treat it.
For one thing, it's a fairly difficult diagnosis, and I wonder exactly what a doctor told Mrs. Salahis. Was it: "You definitely have MS and need to start injections immediately." Or was it: "You may have MS and may have to eventually start injections."
Given Mrs. Salahis' tendency to stretch the true a tad, I really would like to see her actually medical records stating the diagnosis.
This is the land of reality TV where the "real" isn't always exactly real, and what you see ain't always exactly what you get.
Besides that, what does MS have to do with Mrs. Salahis' character, which seems to be issue? Is this a matter of whether we should feel so sorry for her that we overlook her flaws? She's not her disease, and having MS doesn't absolve people of personal responsibility.

Posted by: dparks2 | September 16, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Shameless con artists trying to get in the news again. Next they'll be establishing a foundation to collect money for MS. Just give them your credit card no.!

Posted by: Hoss3 | September 16, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Shameless. At her age most adults with actual MS are either dead or confined to a wheel chair. What these two are doing deserves prison time or to make them actually work with MS patients. Neither can recognize the truth and to keep paying attention to them is just not right.

Posted by: KBlit | September 16, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

OK Keep degrading your publication by writing about this publicity hound. You must need stories like that? Isn't there something useful to do with a reporter's time?

Posted by: larry9 | September 16, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Michale Salahi, Lying about having MS? Gee whiz! Please say it 'aint so..

Boy,I sure hope the piece of land they sold me in the Burmuda Triangle doesn't turn out to be a hoax either! Floating mansions, who woulda thunk it!

Posted by: Holly1971 | September 16, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm... Didn't she say when she was modeling bikinis that she was thin because she doesn't eat? Maybe she's so hungry she's having delusions about being ill? (I am being facetious). There is a disease that would cause one to crash a White House social event- but it ain't MS.

Posted by: poppysue85 | September 16, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

The only chronic illness this "woman" and I do use the term loosely, is suffering from is called Delusions of Grandeur. I would like to see actual medical documentation along with her actual birth certificate. I'm no medical doctor but does having MS result in a female having a Adams Apple? Seriously, I'm not trying to be funny here....There has to be an explanation for the male appendage jutting out of her throat.

Posted by: Holly1971 | September 16, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

LOL I'm waiting for the next shocking reveal.. "I don't have MS -I'm really a MAN"

Posted by: Holly1971 | September 16, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Please just go away. You both are pathetic attention-hungry serial publicity seekers with no end to your schemes to stay in the limelight. As another poster pointed out she never SAID she had MS, it was just inferred. Her little emotional moment was total BS; you get upset it doesn't fade that quickly - as the camera clearly shows she recovered immediately.

Her husband is a wanna-be rich boy, she's a wanna-be socialite and both of them are trash.

Someone who has had TRULY diagnosed MS for 17 years would be exhibiting clear neurological impacts from the damage in their gait, their movements and/or their speech. She has none. Suspicious, eh?

Oh, and she said she wasn't anorexic, she never said she wasn't bulemic.

Maybe they'll both get tied in their web of lies and shady business deals to the extent they go to prison -- probably the only way to shut up these two.

Thank God they haven't procreated.

Posted by: webmaster10 | September 16, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Why are you keeping these people famous?

Posted by: nmoses | September 16, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

If you ask me, I think the MS makes her even hotter! I mean, she's got a great bod! and MS too! Whatever it takes to stay skinny eh?

Posted by: masterandcommander | September 16, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE make these two grifters go AWAY!!! They are lying, cheating, detritus and I cannot understand why any reputable news source continues to feed their 15 minutes.

Posted by: CAC2 | September 16, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

So we are to believe this woman? Sorry, but as the boy who cried "WOLF!" learned, ... well, you know the rest. I'm boycotting Bravo anyway. She fooled them at the white house dinner and then they hired her. Just what does that say about Bravo? Not surprised she was on Fox. They deserve one another.

Posted by: Fate1 | September 16, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Surely, no one believes this diagnosis? The 'Redskin Cheerleader'? The 'working vineyard'? All the 'valid invitations' to events?

Please, lady, you are strange enough without this terrible lie about having a horrific disorder.

Posted by: JPMcC | September 16, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Michaele does suffer from MS: Michaele Salahi Disease!! Symptoms include: delusions of grandeur, narcissism, and chronic dishonesty. No wonder Bravo didn't invite them back for next season! Too distasteful even for "reality television!"

Posted by: Daffie10 | September 17, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

I love the one where she claims on camera mind you -her name "Michale" was given to her by her parents, that it was a combination of their first names "Michael" and "Michelle" Cute story,no? Only problem is, their first names are Howard and Rosemary. Come on lady- Do us all a favor -DRINK THE KOOL AID already!

Seriously, according to a poster that actually purchased their "book" she lived with her mother until she was 35?!?! What with her illustrious "modeling" career( that never was) she couldnt afford to live on her own? Sporting full length fur coats during her make up counter days? GET REAL. What a WHACKJOB!

Posted by: Holly1971 | September 20, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse