Lisa's Favorite Sites

Jon Stewart rally to raise money for Mall maintenance

[This post has been updated.]

Jon Stewart unveiled more plans for his upcoming rally on the Mall in Washington, scheduled for Oct. 30.

The Comedy Central late-night host announced Wednesday night he's designated the Trust for the National Mall as the official non-profit of his Rally to Restore Sanity.

The Trust is the official non-profit partner of the National Park Service dedicated to restoring and improving the National Mall.

"The National Mall is an incredible gathering place for All Americans," Stewart intoned on "The Daily Show."

"It's in desperate need of upkeep and repair, especially after all of us rally on it. It's the reasonable thing to do," he told his studio audience and, we presume, his audience of 2 million-ish who tend to watch him on Comedy Central.

"Get ready to rally, and remember, this is the People's space, so treat the Mall with respect, which means don't take any pictures of yourselves pretending the Washington monument is your penis. It's funny -- but disrespectful."

"We are grateful to Jon Stewart, Comedy Central, and everyone involved with the Rally to Restore Sanity for choosing the Trust as the beneficiary of this rally," Trust president Caroline Cunningham gushed the next morning.

"We are thrilled that they are bringing awareness to the disgraceful condition of this iconic space," she continued in a statement given to the press.

Stewart also announced the exact location of the rally, which has been moved from the original permit request to the east end of the Mall, next to the Reflecting Pool, in front of the Capitol.

Stewart called the settled-upon location "useful, accessible and, at the same time synonymous with nothing else that's ever been done down there.

"It's not the Lincoln Memorial where the historic Martin Luther King spoke, or the hysteric Glenn Beck spoke, or where Forrest [Gump] found Jenny...It's not the steps of the Capitol building where the Million Man March was held, or the Washington Monument where Giant Bizarro and Giant Superman once dueled for supremacy," Stewart noted.

This strategy is in marked contrast to the Mall rally held in August by Fox News Channel talking head Beck, who decided to stage his rally for "Restoring Honor" at the feet of Abraham Lincoln's Memorial on the National Mall, only to discover, much to his surprise, after making the announcement (that was his story at the time, anyway) that his rally would fall on the anniversary of, and in virtually the same location as, Martin Luther King Jr. had delivered his "I Have a Dream" speech 47 years earlier.

Stewart's Rally to Restore Sanity, a.k.a. Million Moderate March, is billed as "a rally for the people who've been too busy to go to rallies, who actually have lives, and families, and jobs (or are looking for jobs). Not so much the Silent Majority as the Busy Majority."

His Comedy Central colleague, Stephen Colbert, has staged a March to Keep Fear Alive for the same day and place because, he said in making his announcement, "America cannot afford a rally to restore sanity in the middle of a recession."

"As far as we know, no huge, iconic event has ever taken place there," Stewart said Wednesday of the settled upon location. "And it's far enough away from Ground Zero, 206 miles, for us to have Aasif [Mandvi, "Daily Show" correspondent] at the event. That's right. As long as he stays on the southernmost part of the stage."

rallymap.jpg

See full coverage of the Stewart/Colbert rallies in DC.

And here's Jon Stewart discussing the rally site, etc. on his show:

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Rally to Restore Sanity Location
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorRally to Restore Sanity

By Lisa de Moraes  | October 7, 2010; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear, TV News
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CNN's Rick Sanchez apologizes after Jon Stewart weighs in on his firing
Next: 'Real Housewives of DC': Fat lady has not yet sung

Comments

Jon Stewart's rally is October 30.... the evening of which is Mischief Night. Wonder if that's a coincidence? ;-)
No TPing the mall, everyone!

Posted by: MHinNC | October 7, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Good idea - thanks, Stewart!

Posted by: angie12106 | October 7, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I think it's great that the National Mall will reap the benefits of this rally. I remember Glen Beck said his rally would raise money for the Troops and their families but yet know one has said how much money they raised. All e-mails and calls to Beck, and you still cannot find out. His rally sounds like it became a scam to me. Just like last years Freedom Concerts promoted by Sean Hannity. Hardly no money went to families of the fallen after all the big names got paid. How sad.

Posted by: sumo1 | October 7, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stinkface | October 7, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

stinkface - And they are the eco-friendlies, aren't they?

Posted by: madmike272 | October 7, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Colbert's rally is also giving to donorschoose.org - what kind of exposition is this when you don't mention this fact?

Come on now, exposition should require at least two minutes' worth of research.

If the reporter had just gone up to the website and clicked on the Colbert portion and then "donate" it would have been obvious.

Posted by: jKO2010 | October 7, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

BTW, stinkface, why should anyone believe you especially when the only thing you ever offer in the comments section is trash. Pick up your own garbage, troll.

Posted by: jKO2010 | October 7, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Glenn Beck's Army of God or whatever he was referring to himself first deducted all costs of putting on his wing-nut ding, including preparation, advertising, set up, and speakers fees; it wouldn't be surprising if the charity he "gave" toward received nothing. After all, none of the speakers donated his/her time, and Sarah Palin doesn't come cheap (even though she IS cheap).

Posted by: jKO2010 | October 7, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

@stinkface--
You try to make it sound as though the Obama Inauguration is the only Mall event that ever caused a massive cleanup effort afterward. EVERY event on the Mall results in a pile of trash that Park Service personnel have to clean up afterward. But yes, it would be nice if the attendees of these rallies on 10/30 took their own refuse with them when they go.

Posted by: Slinger61 | October 7, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Go Jon!

DEATH TO ALL THE EXTREMISTS!!!

(oops!)

Posted by: trenda | October 7, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

stinkface: Source for you info on trash left after the One Nation gathering... something other than a right wing propaganda machine like Fox or WSJ..., thanks for telling us the source.

Posted by: clairevb | October 7, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

@stinkface--

--------

Hey, when Reagan was inaugurated, a guy DIED trying to set up all the fireworks!

Now THAT'S a real mess!

Posted by: trenda | October 7, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

"If you go, pick up your frickin trash. The amount of refuse left after obama's inauguration was shameful."

I was dead center of the Mall between 13th and 14th for the inauguration... and stinkface is exactly right. You wouldn't believe the number of bussed-in Midwestern folk ("Real Americans," they might be called) who left discarded bags, food wrappers, newspapers, and all manner of detritus spewed across the entire Mall. It was really sad.

Posted by: random-adam | October 7, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

DUDE, SARAH PALIN DOES NOT COME CHEAP.

HER FILM, "WHOSE NAILIN PAYLIN?" COST ME A PRETTY PENNY, YESSIRREE!

BUT IT WAS WORTH IT, AND THEN SOME!

Posted by: trenda | October 7, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: random-adam | October 7, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Come on now, I've never heard of anyone with lincoln monument envy, have you??

Posted by: Wildthing1 | October 7, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Ok, Assif is ok. But you better keep that darn John Oliver away! I don't want to hear any of his British anti-America rants!

"...egads mate, you call that a rally? Where are the burning flags...."

Posted by: BattleOffSamar | October 7, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Some blogger complained about the trash left after the Obama Inauguration...you should have seen the trash left after the Bush Inauguration...tons and tons of Billy Beer Cans, Pork Rine and Beef Jerky stick wrappers. It was a mess.

Posted by: logcabin1836 | October 7, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I am truly not clear on the exact purpose of this upcoming event on the Mall. I hear different messages from different people at different times. Now it seems to be "cleaning up the mall," (a perfectly valid idea) restoring sanity, a comedy hour, a march of the moderates. What is it?

I was at the emancipation march on Washington, August 28, 1963 when Dr. King made his memorable "I have a dream" speech. The purpose of that gathering was very clear. At least it was to me. It was truly a catalyst for change for which much progress has been made. It was a rallying point and a call for social justice, which propelled us into the future and still goes on today.

Posted by: wlrobbins | October 7, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I was at the One Nation Rally. We tried to put all the garbage in the containers, but they were full by 1pm. I wonder why the Park Service doesn't come by during the events to empty these. It wasn't a proud moment, but most of the trash was piled around these waste baskets. Of course you will always have those people who just don't care. And really, I would have loved to have seen some recycling containers for paper signs. The food vendor did have plastic recycling bins. Loved that. I think we can do better. I for one, would donate money for helping to restore the Mall.

Posted by: factorygal63 | October 7, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

The Mall was supposed to get a facelift starting last August but Glenn Beck complained and said it was supposed to begin around that time so he couldn't have his rally.

Posted by: damnit79 | October 7, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Where is the option to vote for both?

Posted by: 3rdWay | October 7, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like the restoring sanity rally will be a hoot. To bad Beck and Palin won't be there. They need their sanity restored, but probably impossible.

Posted by: COLEBRACKETT | October 7, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I live here in DC--a great city where all the excitement is right at my doorstep. I'll be there for sure and how great that Stewart's reason is to help the mall instead of all about himself like Colbert. Althogh Colbert did have some good points about immigrants (I was there too) I think he acted quite vain about it.

Posted by: libertyanne | October 7, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I live here in DC--a great city where all the excitement is right at my doorstep. I'll be there for sure and how great that Stewart's reason is to help the mall instead of all about himself like Colbert. Although Colbert did have some good points about immigrants (I was there too) I think he acted quite vain about it.

Posted by: libertyanne | October 7, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he'll raise enough money to pay for trash removal after his rally. If he has a really big crowd, perhaps he'll raise enough to cover the trash removal costs of that communist rally last week.

Posted by: Curmudgeon10 | October 7, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Those of you who deny the trashing of the Mall after Obama's inauguration, you can easily google "trash obama inauguration" and view images, or sort by videos. Here is a video that shows the blowing trash

Here is another one that contrasts the trash left from the recent "One Nation" rally and Becks rally,

Seems like Stewart may be smart enough to anticipate another Mall trashing by lefties, and is pre-emptively defusing criticism by making a fund to improve the Mall.

Posted by: Wiggan | October 7, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

President Obama lost me/us when we saw him support the Communist Party USA and all the Socialists organizations that sponsored the "One Nation" rally. If he can lose us then he can lose just about anyone.

Posted by: fury60 | October 7, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope the money raised doesn't have to go to clean-up.
The Beck rally - the mall was left SPOTLESS.
The "other rally" held last week - huge mess left behind for the park maintenance people.
So typical: conversatives do for themselves; liberals believe others should do for them.

Posted by: ReneesOpinion | October 7, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Um, I was on the Mall during that inauguration.

People did a very good job of picking up their trash until the NPS facilities were overwhelmed.

It is believed to be the biggest assembly on the Mall, ever.

As such, I'd say the trash was handled very well.

But, then, I suspect your real problem was that it was Obama.

Posted by: TheHillman | October 7, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Um, Wiggan....

The video claim that the Beck rally had a half million people pretty much makes your post look ridiculous.

The Obama inauguration was massive. Even conservative estimates put it at a million.

NPS has said repeatedly the sheer number of people overwhelmed their trash and sanitation capacities. There was simply no place for people to put trash.

I live on the Hill. I was there for the Obama inauguration. Anytime there were trash receptables people used them.

I was here for the Beck rally also. Again, any time there were trash receptacles people used them. It was a tidy affair.

I've seen quite a few rallies in my time on the Hill. I'd say the most respectful was a pro-Israeli march. Tons of marchers through the Hill residential area, and they actually had designated reps coming behind them cleaning up, asking the neighbors if everything was ok.

The worst? The Million Man March. It was very hot, and I offered to let anyone walking use my garden hose to hose down or get a drink. I quit offering after several marchers accused me of racism, saying that it was racist to 'demand' that they drink from a garden hose.

After that march there was quite a bit of garbage left, even before trash cans were filled.

Posted by: TheHillman | October 7, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Um, I was on the Mall during that inauguration.

It is believed to be the biggest assembly on the Mall, ever.

As such, I'd say the trash was handled very well.

But, then, I suspect your real problem was that it was Obama.

Posted by: TheHillman | October 7, 2010 4:51 PM
__________________________________________

What??? I live right downtown, blocks away, and walked around the empty streets after the tourist left the concert and inauguration, the place was a wreck!

The NPS did handle the clean up very well, but you cannot seriously deny the fact that there was trash everywhere. It was like being in NYC during New Years.

Obama had nothing to do with the trash that was spewed by the thousands of tourists, it was people who thought "Oh I'm in a city with buildings and Starbucks, I can act like the people on tv and not care!"

I live in this city, I was raised here, and I would never treat another city with that much disrespect. I hate to say it, but it seems like the Right-Wingers might win this arguement, they do clean up after themselves better.

Posted by: damnit79 | October 7, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

"So you are saying since the receptacles around the Washington Monument were full, it's ok for people to just throw their trash on the ground instead of taking it with them to a different receptacle? I bet you think the EarthDay concerts don't harm the environment either.

It is believed to be the biggest assembly on the Mall, ever."

All the trash receptacles were full. It was an event of historic size. People were quite restricted in where they could go, both by logistics of cramming that many people in a limited space and by the huge security contingent, which wasn't keen on letting people wander out of their designated spaces to find a trash can. It wasn't the peoples political inclinations that was the problem - it was the sheer crowd size.

Last, NPS actually removed a lot of trash receptacles for security reasons. They were concerned they would be used as bomb receptacles. This is something they do just for inaugurations.

Your comparison to NYC Times Square New Years Eve is actually quite apt. Lots of people crammed into a controlled space, trash receptacles removed for security reasons, etc.

Posted by: TheHillman | October 7, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

The Mall was dirty! No it wasn't! What a dumb argument.

Posted by: Aerowaz | October 7, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I understand your point Hillman, but I think mine might be lost.

Water might be an inappropriate item, I think if anyone was holding a bottle of water that day within 20 minutes they would have holding a bottle of ice!

Posted by: damnit79 | October 7, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

It's going to need maintenance, after it overfills 10/30 with people who still remember which party caused this economic crash...

- Balkingpoints / www

Posted by: RField7 | October 7, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

"If you walk into an event with a bag that has, for sake of our discussion, bottles of water, then you should walk back out with that bag of empty bottles instead of dropping it on the ground. That's something that wasn't done, and that was the disrespectful part. "

I think a lot of times things were dropped and left because people were packed in like sardines and there was literally no space for your bag of bottles of water or snacks or whatever.

And a lot of people were there for eight hours or longer. Holding your trash in hand for eight hours is a bit ridiculous.

I don't think it was disrespectful. I think it was logistics.

If it were a pristine national park in the middle of, say, Yellowstone, and NPS wasn't going to clean it up the very next morning then, yes, it would have been disrespectful.

Posted by: TheHillman | October 7, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

The front page of the website that links to this article spells his name "John" He spells it "Jon"

Posted by: JG55 | October 7, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Beck's rally raised FIVE MILLION DOLLARS for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. That is $5 million net, after all rally expenses were deducted.

Posted by: screwjob21 | October 7, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Jon Stewart is as big a demagogue and idiot as Glenn Beck. They should be wrapped together in a sack and dropped into the Potomac, like blind kittens.

Posted by: eat-the-rich | October 7, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, the Washington Post will find some reporters who can just cover the Stewart and Colbert rallies. Then write another column to compare these rallies with Beck and One Nation and even the 1963 March on Washington. No need to cover the Comedy Central rallies by comparing them to Beck or whatever in the same column...that way one misses the real rallies at hand...So, to the reporters who "covered" the One Nation Rally - Mr.Hsu and Ms. Thompson...Sunday, October 3, 2010 on A3 - please ask some more senior reporters to help out...when we know better...we do better. That column spent a lot of time talking about Beck, Palin, Charasmatic,"crowd petered out" and other foolishness. So, I am asking the Post to allow a little more space for two articles...one on the actual rallies that day and another...if the Post feels it is needed to compare the rallies with One Nation and Beck and MLK, Million Man March and whatever. Thanks!

Posted by: judithclaire1939 | October 7, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Yes, why not vote for both? I plan to go back and forth...Sanity sounds great but Fear is so much more fun...making folk fearful is just so creative...and sanity can be boring?

Posted by: judithclaire1939 | October 7, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin : New York City, Chicago, or Boston

Film crew seeks Sarah Palin impersonator.
Saturday; October 30, 2010
$2400.00 : $100 per hour for 24 hours

The book's Sarah Palin impersonator will host our documentary. Three teams will be leaving Los Angeles and San Francisco for Boulder and Denver, Colorado, October 22, 2010; Friday. October 24, 2010, we leave Colorado at night to travel for a one week road trip to New York City for the rally on Washington October 30, 2010.

Thomas Chi