Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Lisa's Favorite Sites

CNN fires Rick Sanchez after radio rant

[This blog post has been updated]

CNN fired Rick Sanchez Friday afternoon in response to a radio interview Sanchez did on a SiriusXM radio show during which he called Comedy Central late-night host Jon Stewart a "bigot" and implied that the media as a whole are controlled by Jews. Appearing on "Stand Up! with Pete Dominick" to promote his new book "Conventional Idiocy," Sanchez went on to assert that he has been the victim of discrimination at the cable news network.

stewart
Sanchez hosted Rick's List on CNN.

"Rick Sanchez is no longer with the company," the cable news network said in a statement. "We thank Rick for his years of service and we wish him well."

CNN, which changed its leadership last weekend, said it will telecast "CNN Newsroom" in Sanchez's 3-5 p.m. timeslot "for the foreseeable future." The provocative anchor had been with CNN since September 2004.

During the lengthy, gasp-inducing interview with Dominick, the subject of Stewart came up; the late-night host often ridicules Sanchez on "The Daily Show":

On the Sirius broadcast, Sanchez told Dominick, "I've known a lot of elite Northeast establishment liberals that may not use this as a business model but deep down when they look at a guy like me they look at a-- they see a guy automatically who belongs in the second tier and not the top tier," said Sanchez, who was born in Havana, Cuba, according to the bio on CNN's web site.

" Give me an example - because you're Cuban-American?" Dominick asked.

" I had a guy who works here at CNN who's a top brass come to me and say, 'You know what, I don't want you to -"

'Will you wash this dish for me, Sanchez?' Dominick jumped in, offering a hypothetical insult.

"No no, see that's the thing; it's more subtle," Sanchez responded.

"White folks usually don't see it. But we do - those of us who are minorities and women see it sometimes too from men in authority." Sanchez paraphrased what he said a CNN executive had once said to him: "I really don't see you as an anchor, I see you more as a reporter. I see you more as a John Quinones - you know the guy on ABC. ... Now, did he not realize that he was telling me. ... An anchor is what you give the high-profile white guys, you know. ... To a certain extent Jon Stewart and Colbert are the same way. I think Jon Stewart's a bigot."

Later in the interview, Dominick noted Stewart is Jewish, which he said is "a minority as much as you are."

"Very powerless people," Sanchez laughed. "He's such a minority, I mean, you know... Please, what are you kidding? ... I'm telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they -- the people in this country who are Jewish -- are an oppressed minority? Yeah." In the audio, which was circulated online Friday, Sanchez's sarcasm was evident.

During the Sirius interview, Sanchez told Dominick he was discussing Stewart because he was sick and tired of "The Daily Show" host's repeated needling.

In case you've missed Stewart's "reports" on Sanchez: On March 2, for example, "The Daily Show" ran clips of Sanchez anchoring his scheduled portion of CNN's coverage of the Chilean earthquake, and fears about an imminent tsunami. In the clips, Sanchez is seen mistaking the Galapagos Islands for Hawaii, and asking an expert to explain to him what 9 meters means "in English." Stewart called CNN "the most trusted name in over-caffeinated control freaks," and Sanchez's photo was shown above the identifier that read "The Uninformant!"

"I just realized something," Stewart jabbed. "Rick Sanchez delivers the news like a guy at a party who's doing a lot of coke and traps you in a corner and explains really intensely how an ant is the strongest animal on earth."

A rep for Stewart's "The Daily Show" issued a "no comment" when contacted late Friday afternoon.

Poll question here.


Here's the audio of the radio interview:

By Lisa de Moraes  | October 1, 2010; 8:30 PM ET
Categories:  TV News  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: "My Generation" -- so over
Next: Capt. Phil Harris's sons on board for "Deadliest Catch" 7th season

Comments

I watched his show once and it was awful.

Posted by: farmsnorton | October 1, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Rick Sanchez down, Dan Lemon to go.

Let's clear CNN of nitwits.

Posted by: bandmom22 | October 1, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

So, will this outcome allow Ricki to say he proved his point?

Posted by: mini2 | October 1, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

bandmom22: It's Don Lemon and I think he's pretty good BTW.

I hate what this country has become. When someone speaks the truth about a group they are immediately silenced. It doesn't allow for honest debate in our national dialougue when people can't speak freely no matter how distateful.

The right to free speech is a myth.

Posted by: cleancut77 | October 1, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Rick Sanchez is a moran.

Posted by: dottydont | October 1, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

bandmom22: It's Don Lemon and I think he's pretty good BTW.

I hate what this country has become. When someone speaks the truth about a group they are immediately silenced. It doesn't allow for honest debate in our national dialogue when people can't speak freely no matter how distasteful.

The right to free speech is a myth.

Posted by: cleancut77 | October 1, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

"Let's clear CNN of nitwits."

Impossible. CNN has been awful for almost 20 years. Remember CNN had a large foreign bureau and did something crazy: they reported the news. They really were the must-watch news channel.

But the latest owners decided to cut budget so that CNN is little more than an organization that reads someone else's news. And what's worse, it's not even entertaining.

Saw what you will about Fox, but they get great guests because the ratings are so high.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | October 1, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

"Let's clear CNN of nitwits."

Impossible. CNN has been awful for almost 20 years. Remember CNN had a large foreign bureau and did something crazy: they reported the news. They really were the must-watch news channel.

But the latest owners decided to cut budget so that CNN is little more than an organization that reads someone else's news. And what's worse, it's not even entertaining.

Saw what you will about Fox, but they get great guests because the ratings are so high.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | October 1, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Mini2: It really is ironic. He spoke out against the Jews in the morning and was gone by dinner time but Jews don't run the media.

It's a vicious stereotype.

Posted by: cleancut77 | October 1, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Sanchez was fired because what he said was true.

Posted by: demerrara | October 1, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

these developments are totally irrelevant when it comes to rick sanchez. the reason he should have been fired -- or never hired -- is that he is truly one of the dumbest human beings i have ever heard. and that includes sarah palin. he was a true embarassment to CNN. the joke is on him: the only reason he was ever hired and then kept around as long as he was is because HE is a minority. but he doesn't have enough brain cells to figure that out.

Posted by: NYCReader1 | October 1, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Bravo Mr. Sanchez. Consider your dismissal a badge of honor. No lie lives forever and no truth will be suppressed forever. Your comments about who controls the media is right on target. Even the WaPo pulled an article about the Jewish state moments ago because the commentary was too truthful.

Posted by: Spiritof761 | October 1, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

cleancut, look up "free speech." It isn't a guarantee that a private news company will give you the "right" to spew idiocy and racism. Not saying that is what happened here, but good lord, I wish people knew that "free speech" does not stand for the "right" to remain employed and say whatever the heck you want to say. Free speech provides for free speech against the GOVERNMENT, etc.

Posted by: esmerelda123 | October 1, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Fox News will pick him up.

Posted by: gen_coz | October 1, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Jon Stewart is a BIGOT, who knew?

Posted by: theaz | October 1, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

The Jews that control the media do not like it when that fact is pointed out.

Posted by: metroman76 | October 1, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Freedom of the press means, "If you own a press you have freedom to use it." Mr. Sanchez just found out that he does not own one.

Posted by: powellsanmiguel | October 1, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow. He certainly could have phrased it better, but I thought his point was that he didn't think Jewish Americans suffered as much discrimination today as Hispanic Americans. That itself is not an anti-Semitic point to make, whether I happen to agree with it or not.

Yes, I know there is the longstanding anti-Semitic stereotype of the secret Jewish conspiracy to control things like the media, and that's what his remarks have been treated as saying. But I'm not really convinced that that's what he was saying.

I'm really, really uncomfortable with firing him when one thing he was clearly trying to say was that Latino news people face very real discrimination in the media today. It was the host that injected the Jewish thing.

Posted by: uh_huhh | October 1, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I say good riddance. Sanchez was a loudmouth whose program was nigh on unwatchable. You could take all of his journalistic talent, stuff it in a flea's navel, and have room left over.

Posted by: sinenomine | October 1, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Esmeralda: Like I said our speech is not free. If an employer can fire you at a whim for your belief, which is rooted in fact. Than they can easily, in conjunction with the government, work to keep people in line. King George III could never have thought up a better repressive system than the one we have today.

Posted by: cleancut77 | October 1, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

...another racist teabagger bites the dust - good riddance!

Posted by: areyousaying | October 1, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

The most expendable person on CNN just shot himself in the foot.

Poor, poor judgement, and it contributed nothing of import except it got him fired. It wasn't even "sensationalism". It was just plain stupid.

Posted by: nana4 | October 1, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Why does everyone think Jews control the news media? I don't get it. It's not like they own every news organiation. Most, true, but not all.

Posted by: FormerDemocrat | October 1, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse


Just ask Ezra Klein, Dick Cohen and Steven Pearlstein whether there is any truth to that rumor.

Posted by: screwjob21 | October 1, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

I see Al Jazeera in Rick Sanchez's future.

Posted by: cleancut77 | October 1, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of what one believes about Mr. Sanchez comments directed at Jon Stewart's bigotry or those of Jewish faith, his comments with regard to his (now former) employer were grounds for dismissal. Few people can publicly criticize and accuse their employers of discrimination and remain employed. Freedom of speech doesn't guarantee continued employment.

Posted by: gardedgarton | October 1, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

He should still be eligible for amnesty.

Posted by: hipshot | October 1, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

The Secret 11th commandment: Thou Shalt Not Criticize Jews!

Posted by: SSTK34 | October 1, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps there is a god after all! Seriously, the problem is obviously not that Sanchez is Cuban -- Sanchez simply oozes incompetence, ignorance, and CLUELESSNESS at every opportunity. I've always wondered what he had on his boss(es) at CNN that kept him on the air this long and now we know...

Posted by: CelticSnake | October 1, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

The right to free speech is a myth.

Posted by: cleancut77 | October 1, 2010 7:23 PM

-------------------------------------------------

In case you have never actually read the constitution, here is the text of the 1st Ammendment. (Hint, thats the one that deals with the freedom of speech)

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

With regards to freedom of speech, what that means in plain english, is that the government cannot make any laws restricting what you are allowed to say verbally or in the media. (though it has since placed some restrictions on it)

Nowhere does it say that your employer cannot fire you for exercising your freedom of speech if they do not agree with it. As an employee of a private company, it is reasonable for them to feel that your behavior (and speech) reflects upon them. Therefore they are well within their rights to fire you if they disagree with what you are saying and they believe that what you are saying will cause other reasonable people to believe that you are speaking not only as a person, but speaking as their representative.

Posted by: johnqpublic1 | October 1, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I am surprised he lasted this long. I watched his show once and decided never to do that again. What types of ratings was CNN getting to keep him this long.

Posted by: jchalla | October 1, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Dirty Sanchez was easily one of the stupidest people on the news.

bu-bye!

Posted by: kenk3 | October 1, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I am surprised he lasted this long. I watched his show once and decided never to do that again. What types of ratings was CNN getting to keep him this long.

Posted by: jchalla | October 1, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I didn't like the show, but bothers me that Sanchez is fired for saying something that is basically the truth.

Posted by: explorer9 | October 1, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Why didn't his Jewish bosses fire him for this?


http://vodpod.com/watch/3156350-daily-show-rick-sanchezs-tsunami-anger

Posted by: cleancut77 | October 1, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cleancut77 | October 1, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

I hate what this country has become. When someone speaks the truth about a group they are immediately silenced. It doesn't allow for honest debate in our national dialogue when people can't speak freely no matter how distasteful.

The right to free speech is a myth.

-----------------

You mean like The Dixie Chicks speaking out against the Iraq war and being banned from conservative radio stations owned by Bush's buddies at Clear Channel Communications? You mean like that kind of freedom of speech? I guess it all depends on whose version of the truth you are speaking, doesn't it, bud!


Posted by: dlpetersdc | October 1, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Sanchez is an idiot, leftist, hotheaded loudmouth, on air, and off apparently. But if that was reason enough to fire someone, MSNBC would have nobody left to put on the air. By the way, look for him to show up there before too long.

Posted by: RVZ555 | October 1, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I think there is serious concern over the level of representation that Jewish folks have in :

Left-wing elite Hollywood

Our liberal/progessive MSM wolfpack press, like the POST

Our elite left-wing colleges and universities

Jon Stewart, Letterman, Bill Maher.....are rich elite liberal/progressive snobs who push can promote HATE cloaked in comedy........and it needs to stop.

And the three institutions above need to implement affirmitive actions programs to mirror America:

40% Conservative

35% Moderate

20% Liberal/progressive

........No Justice.........No Peace.....

Posted by: allenridge | October 1, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

We know that the banks control the media and most other things. We know that most of the large banks are operated by Jews and they have been for years. I have yet to hear a network or cable staion say anything bad about Israel.

You figure out the rest.

CNN can run but they cannot hide from the facts.

Posted by: Maddogg | October 1, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Political correctness run amok.

Posted by: moebius22 | October 1, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

One more example of our free press and media! It is like an occupied territory!

Posted by: likovid | October 1, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

i wonder if rick realizes he owes his job to being hispanic

Posted by: batigol85 | October 1, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I was surprised all these years as to how CNN allowed him to work. He was always going personal against other hosts in MSNBC, Fox etc. He was very arrogant and a misfit with hosts like Wolf,King,Anderson etc. It is a good riddance for CNN. His Rick's list was stupid and biased. Hope CNN will get some one else who is a good host who is unbiased and has journalistic principles.
Prof Ganeshan

Posted by: ganeshan | October 1, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe CNN even gave him a job. Before CNN he was a Drunk that liked to get behind the Wheel and run over people. Somehow that has always been swept under the Rug........

Posted by: progrills | October 1, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

This guy lost his job for saying that the ocean is made of water.

Posted by: peaceandprotest | October 1, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

I was surprised all these years as to how CNN allowed him to work. He was always going personal against other hosts in MSNBC, Fox etc. He was very arrogant and a misfit with hosts like Wolf,King,Anderson etc. It is a good riddance for CNN. His Rick's list was stupid and biased. Hope CNN will get some one else who is a good host who is unbiased and has journalistic principles.
Prof Ganeshan

Posted by: ganeshan | October 1, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

My parents taught me to say goodbye to trash and not look back. Thanks Mom and Dad for the life-long lesson.

Posted by: williamhuxtan | October 1, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

ganeshan wrote: "Hope CNN will get some one else who is unbiased and has journalistic principles."
_________________________*

Hopefully they'll find a wonderful Jew to replace him.

Posted by: peaceandprotest | October 1, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

As i recall, Mr. Sanchez (a sports announcer in Miami)left town under an unpleasant situation. Sounds like he has a bigotted chip on his shoulder. Maybe FOX will take him on...

Posted by: lkh2 | October 1, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

In an age of universal deceit,telling the truth is seen as a revolutionary act. It can also get you fired.

Posted by: slim2 | October 1, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Good God, where are these comments about Jewish people coming from, Nazi Germany? The myths and stereotypes one reads here is astounding.

Sanchez is not a good journalist/anchor. When he interviews someone, he talks far more than he listens. His own lack of self esteem shines through. He needs to be center spotlight. He made a mistake, a professional mistake. He should have been fired.

As for the anti-Jewish comments here, folks - get in your time machine and go back to 1944 Germany. You'll fit right in.

Posted by: Renshaw | October 1, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

So the leftist media is contolled by special interests?

Who woulda thunk?!?

I thought it was just Rupert controlling our info, not the Jews!


Unless they're in it together!

Posted by: grunk | October 1, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

We at the great Jew conspiracy are very happy with this result. Now we can go about Jew-dominating the news unmolested.

Seriously, when do I get my invite to that? I have physical evidence to prove that I'm allowed into the club, and I had the Bar Mitzvah Satan worshipping and everything. Do I have to drink the blood of Christian maiden?

Posted by: j762 | October 1, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

For those that think Sanchez is going to Fox Rupert Murdoch is a Jew and oppressed minority owns Fox. Guess again.

Posted by: SSTK34 | October 1, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

For those that think Sanchez is going to Fox Rupert Murdoch is a Jew and oppressed minority owns Fox. Guess again.

Posted by: SSTK34

So the Left and the Right ARE in it together!

Thought so.

www.infowars.com

Always ahead of the curve.

Posted by: grunk | October 1, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Why oh why couldn't it have been Wolf Blitzer???

Posted by: wrx_zx6r | October 1, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

cleancut77 wrote:

"bandmom22: It's Don Lemon and I think he's pretty good BTW.

I hate what this country has become. When someone speaks the truth about a group they are immediately silenced. It doesn't allow for honest debate in our national dialogue when people can't speak freely no matter how distasteful.

The right to free speech is a myth."

Why is it so hard for people to understand that the "right to free speech", as part of the First Ammendment, is not an absolute right to say anything you want without consquences. It specifically states that the government cannot abridge your right to speak, write, worship, etc. CNN is not the government. They decide what goes on their network and if one of their employees says something bigoted, they're allowed to fire him, like any other company in the U.S. This has nothing to do with the First Ammendment.

Posted by: chadborman | October 1, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Sanchez is a white guy with a Spanish last name. Cry me river, buddy: if you look white, I don't take your discrimination charge seriously.

As for the Jews controlling the media: gimme a break, guys. I thought Australian Catholics controlled the media!

Posted by: steve1231 | October 1, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

SSTK34: Rupert Murdoch is not Jewish.

Posted by: cleancut77 | October 1, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Another Obamanaut who seems to hate Jewish people.

Posted by: thelaw1 | October 1, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow, one way to flush out all of the bigots reading the Washington Post is to post an article about bigotry. Anyone who says racism and other forms of bigotry are dead just needs to read the vile comments posted on these boards by some extremely loathsome people.

Posted by: chadborman | October 1, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me CNN??? Every time I see a story like this I feel bad that we are closer to the world coming to an end. How can you fire a guy who speaks the truth and how is what he is saying any different than what Stewart says and does every night on his own show....bottom line....make fun of white or Christian people all day long...make fun of blacks or Jews or schlomo's or (add your alleged repressed group of the day here) and you lose your job and then you have to go on the infamous "I'm sorry" tour on the Over Weightfry...I mean Oprah Winfrey show...CNN. CNBC....et al.....enough is enough...!

Posted by: IrvFleckman | October 1, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Sanchez immediate reverts to race baiting and whining about descrimination against minorities. He is eductated articulate which is why he got as far as he did. When you work for an organization and for a boss you need to fit the model of what you are hired to do. If you do a great job you get ahead. If you complain and whine because you are not getting due regard, move on. You just make yourself look like a whining ersatz know it all. Race baiting because you feel you are a super star and are not getting due recognition then you should decide when you would like to cut the cord and move on. Sanchez is a whining baby, self centered to a fault, and can't relate - grow up, will you, get a life. And stop being so ego-centric. Geez Louise.

Posted by: danleywolfe | October 1, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

This idiot will probably end up on Fox "News."

Posted by: revbookburn | October 1, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

allenridge wrote:

"I think there is serious concern over the level of representation that Jewish folks have in :

Left-wing elite Hollywood

Our liberal/progessive MSM wolfpack press, like the POST

Our elite left-wing colleges and universities

Jon Stewart, Letterman, Bill Maher.....are rich elite liberal/progressive snobs who push can promote HATE cloaked in comedy........and it needs to stop.

And the three institutions above need to implement affirmitive actions programs to mirror America:

40% Conservative

35% Moderate

20% Liberal/progressive

........No Justice.........No Peace....."

Allen, you forgot one group for your affirmative action plan....bigoted morons who can't sum three number to equal 100%

Posted by: chadborman | October 1, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Here are the facts. You can flop your lips; you can clap your teeth. Truth is AMERICA IS UNDER OCCUPATION:

1-Jews control almost 100% of what we see, read or hear throughout the day. Although there is the rare article that wasn't written by a Jew, pretty much all the media bosses are Jewish or kiss Jewish aass, if they want to earn a living.

2- Jews control 100% of our politicians. They ALL HAVE TO support the holocaust in Palestine, and MUST express their "unwavering support" of Israel, a nuclear-armed superpower that has stolen 78% of Palestinian land, and locked all of them up in concentration camps. Otherwise, they're out at the next election, GUARANTEED... or they could be impeached.

3- Jews control both houses of Congress in America. We create laws specifically for them, like the "hate crimes" law. I have never seen a "love crime". In much of Europe, YOU GO TO JAIL simply for saying that the Holocaust numbers are inflated.

4- Our president MUST, from time to time, reaffirm his "unwavering support of Israel". Otherwise, he's out at the next election, GUARANTEED, or he could be impeached.

5- Jews control almost ALL our banks, which means that they control our money.

6- Jews control almost all our schools and universities, and mold students to be Jew lovers.

7- Jews control ALL our textbooks.
etc, etc...

AMERICA IS UNDER OCCUPATION.

Posted by: peaceandprotest | October 1, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

For an affirmative-action hire like Sanchez to complain about racism is pretty rich. The reason he was viewed as second-tier is because he is just so dumb. And to fire on the brass at his own network the week after his (Jewish) sponsor Klein was fired was the height of stupidity. Undoubtedly they were just waiting for an excuse to let him go. Good riddance. Now if CNN would only clean house thoroughly maybe they would be watchable again. It's been a while.

Posted by: scientist1 | October 1, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Another Republi-Nazi bites the dust. Adios putz!

Posted by: Bushwhacked1 | October 1, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Poor Rick, for those who think he'll end up on Univision or Telemundo think again.

Univision is owned by NBC and Telemundo is owned by a consortium lead by Haim Saban, a Jew.

This guy is going to have to move to Cuba to work in media again.

Posted by: cleancut77 | October 1, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Over many months, I was disappointed to turn on CNN, looking for the latest updates about a breaking story and finding Rick Sanchez and his inane comments. I could never understand how he got such an important position and I hope he'll be replaced by someone more knowledgeable.

Posted by: karen2311 | October 1, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Back in the 90s, Sanchez worked on a south Florida station. He was so bad that nobody, with any brains, watched him. I went overseas for several years and on coming back, started to see him on national TV. I then stopped watching TV altogether because he and the rest of them are all really no different.
Good riddance to bad rubbish!

Posted by: jbangs | October 1, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

CNN's firing of Sanchez is a great result, even if it was for the wrong reasons. He shouldn't have been hired in the first place, since he never rose above the level of a cute cheerleader, reading the news without having a clue as to historical perspective or what it all means. He is a true "dial tone" who has been in way over his head. We could take much more comfort in CNN's firing of him if its management had simply determined that Sanchez was one pathetically vacuous, clueless loudmouth that they could do without. In today's culture of presenting serious "news" as entertainment, however, the expectation is, unfortunately, that CNN won't do much better with its choice to replace Sanchez.

Posted by: fighterjock102 | October 1, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Wow. This is why I read the news and don't watch it. Idiot.

Posted by: futbolclif | October 1, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Over too many months, I was disappointed to turn on CNN, looking for the latest updates about a breaking story and finding Rick Sanchez and his inane comments. I could never understand how he got such an important position and I hope he'll be replaced by someone more knowledgeable.

Posted by: karen2311 | October 1, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey, peaceandprotest, since you seem to be in the know, can you let everyone else here know when the next KKK, Aryan Nation, Neo-Nazi skinhead meeting is? Too bad they allow these forums to be anonymous. Cowards like you would never have the guts to spout your vile bigotry in public.

Posted by: chadborman | October 1, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

There have been so many times in the past few years when I have turned on CNN to learn about a breaking story...and instead of intelligent analysis and pertinent information, found Rick Sanchez and his inane comments. Sanchez was the opposite of the intelligent, informed CNN reporter that i have come to count on for good information on breaking stories and important issues. I could never understand how he got that job in the first place, he never seemed to see the big picture. Good riddance.

Posted by: karen2311 | October 1, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

There have been so many times in the past few years when I have turned on CNN to learn about a breaking story...and instead of intelligent analysis and pertinent information, found Rick Sanchez and his inane comments. Sanchez was the opposite of the intelligent, informed CNN reporter that i have come to count on for good information on breaking stories and important issues. I could never understand how he got that job in the first place, he never seemed to see the big picture. Good riddance.

Posted by: karen2311 | October 1, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Another Republi-Nazi bites the dust. Adios putz!

Posted by: Bushwhacked1 (you hate Bush, Sanchez hated Bush)

____________________________________________
You're joking, right?

This guy was a Bush Basher big time.

Wow, talk about revisionist history.

Posted by: thelaw1 | October 1, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

In the words of the the greatest comedic mind of all time - Mel Brooks, "May the Schwartz be with you...!!"

I'm part of the tribe and I don't own a bank, a court, or a radio or TV station...I guess my mother was dissapointed in me....

Posted by: IrvFleckman | October 1, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I was never fond of Rick Sanchez' CNN program, because he just seemed to be too opinionated and too nervous for me. However, I am Jewish, and yet I don't understand why someone should lose his job for merely stating his opinion that Jewish people control CNN, and for suggesting that Jon Stewart is a bigot--unless it is untrue and offensive to CNN to say Jews run the place. Rick Sanchez was merely stating his personal opinion and his dislike for Jon Stewart. What is wrong with that? Why is it that we are no longer permitted to state our opinions, without having the constant fear that what we say will become a political incorrect statement, and it will become a cause for a person to lose his job? To me those are the signs of a society that is becoming too "Big Brother and too oppressive. We are becoming too much like Communist China and Russia, where people have to whisper and say things in secret or the Secret Police would come after you and your family.


Posted by: fridaolay | October 1, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

For those who think free speech is a myth because Sanchez was fired, remember the government did not interfere; he was not arrested or jailed. Sanchez was free to comment but any speaker should be aware that sometimes the consequences my not be pleasant.

Sanchez was a news anchor, paid to inform his audience, and he was in a business where there is taped evidence of stumbles in his performances. He didn't know the location of Hawaii; he acted the fool when discussing a tsunami. There's probably more but on Fri. Sanchez forgot that namecalling doesn't mix with objective reporting; he called Stewart a bigot. Sanchez simply didn't project the image that CNN wishes to have for its news dept. so Mr. Sanchez was fired - and the public knows why.

Sanchez caused remote action for this viewer. Rick's delivery sounded like he wasn't finished eating his mashed potatoes but was all fired up to go wherever. Now he is free to go wherever.

Posted by: nlersch | October 1, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I doubt if he'll be missed.

Posted by: James10 | October 1, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

These comments are bordering on ridicules.

A: His performance was weak at best; but a “liability” is a more accurate adjective to describe his performance. At a time when Fox news is kicking CNNs posterior by a margin of three to one CNN was only wrong not to fire him sooner.

B: He was barely a journalist or reporter; but an “entertainer” is once again a more accurate adjective to describe his performance. So how can you decry “freedom of the press?

C: He is not going to be silenced he can say whatever he likes. He can go anywhere and continue to say it.

D: It is CNNs right and responsibility to fire anyone they think in the least way offends their views and hurts there profit, (not that he can really hurt that being as how they have been in the red for quite some time).

E: He may or may not be accurate in what he said, SO WHAT! If one of my employees told one of my customers that I was lazy and spent too much time driving out to the Nevada cat houses. I would fire him in a blink of an eye even though he probably is right.

Posted by: eeboyaker | October 1, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

How did this arrogant pampas moron get hired to CNN in the first place? You can always tell the quality of a manager or company by the quality of the people it hires. CNN it appears, trolls for it's work force.

Posted by: morphylius | October 1, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Why was my comment and others removed for speaking the truth about Rick Sanchez as being white and a racist white Cubano? Looking at Rick's appearance, his skin tone, facial features, and hair texture is no different from white Americans. I find many white Cubanos in Miami to be very racist towards U.S. blacks and Afro Cubanos/Hispanics. Please don't remove my comment for speaking the truth. I am black and I have experience racism from white Hispanics because they consider themselves as white and they can assimilate into white America as Rick Sanchez and Desi Arnez did. No matter how much much I have, my skin color will as matter to most who happens to be white, because blacks are seen as criminals, inferior, and thugs to most white Americans.

Posted by: Ward4DC | October 1, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Why was my comment and others removed for speaking the truth about Rick Sanchez as being white and a racist white Cubano? Looking at Rick's appearance, his skin tone, facial features, and hair texture is no different from white Americans. I find many white Cubanos in Miami to be very racist towards U.S. blacks and Afro Cubanos/Hispanics. Please don't remove my comment for speaking the truth. I am black and I have experience racism from white Hispanics because they consider themselves as white and they can assimilate into white America as Rick Sanchez and Desi Arnez did. No matter how much much I have, my skin color will as matter to most who happens to be white, because blacks are seen as criminals, inferior, and thugs to most white Americans.

Posted by: Ward4DC | October 1, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I've never watched Stewart's show but I become more of a Stewart fan every time I see a clip of him. The guy is hilarious, and always stingingly on point.

Posted by: B2O2 | October 1, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

How did this arrogant moron get hired in the first place? You can always tell the quality of a manager or company by the people they hire. It appears CNN trolls for it's work force. Mr. Sanchez pointed my wife to a different network and she's never returned. She has great taste.

Posted by: morphylius | October 1, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

"Let go"

Leftyspeak for fired.

Posted by: Tupac_Goldstein | October 1, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Rick Sanchez on Discovery Channel gunman and Al Gore lover James Lee......

Sanchez: "He’s a bit of an activist, a guy who truly believes, seemingly, in his heart that he needs to do all he can to save the planet. Most watching this would argue he may have taken it way too far on this day by endangering the lives of people in this building, as he seems to be doing right now."

Posted by: Hembo | October 1, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

THE GOP have zero sympathy for people who have fallen on hard times.
They blame the unemployed for being undereducated?
They criticize the "welfare & entitlement mentality" that makes people blame the government instead of themselves for the fact that they've been laid off or canned
Republicans ARE bigots and most people recognize that fact.


Republicans are bigots and have been running race based campaigns since the 1960's. This southern strategy has delivered national majorities on a fairly consistent basis.
I think they need to be more open about this and state very clearly...

"We think it the height of irresponsibility that the Democrats would nominate a n*gger to run for the office of the President."


Well? What else is new?
> WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A US CITIZEN?

Let me elaborate because I think this is paramount that every US citizen think about this question.
1. Do you have civil rights like habeas corpus, free speech, privacy, etc...?
2. Do you have the right to work? Globalization, outsourcing, abusively using H1B visa guest workers over US citizens. Workers rights vs. Corporations.
3. Do you have say in the direction of your country? i.e. Are we fighting wars for a few elite?
4. Are we a nation of laws? Do government leaders need to follow the law that everyone else does? Read up on Magna Carta and US Constitution. Torture/waterboarding.
5. Equality for all US citizens.

Posted by: robby94605 | October 1, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Americans are right wing corporate owned Christians of various denominations who allow some minorities, who know their place and are also corporate worshippers, to screw their fellow Americans for a salary and promotions. It is also important for Americans to learn how to state sincerely that which they do not feel. Graduates of Regency University have the proper beliefs and attitudes down pat so that they can spread the disrespect and insincerity toward fellow Americans that they are certain is reciprocated because all Americans are sinners. This is important for Americans because it permits them to feel self-righteous while disregarding their fellow man.


aw c'mon, they're the neanderthals and the bigots
Please, haven't Neanderthals been maligned enough? Neanderthals at least were mammals. What we're seeing in the modern(I use the term loosely) Republican party is the reptilian brain in its full glory.
If the Republicans fear being labeled racist and sexist, then I say let the labeling begin. Let us not refrain from calling out bigotry and prejudice and fascism where we see it. Conservatism is a form of psychosis. Let therapy begin.

Posted by: robby94605 | October 1, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Hate to see someone get fired because he dared to speak his mind. I suppose the land of "free speech" isn't all that it's made out to be.

Still, I won't miss Rick Sanchez, because his arrogance even exceeded his stupidity.

Posted by: Ruhu | October 1, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

But the GOP are bigots. And we all know it. No one talks and treats others like they have as bigots.
What they want is to find out how far they can take their racism without being jailed and excoriated into oblivia as a Political party for ever.............
And the GOP is in real trouble because they can't help being what they are. It is going to show and they will show it. They think they can do some sort of damage control to make nice with the Americican people. Not going to happen.
Their whole party platform for the last 8 years has been "Osama bin Laden = Saddam Hussein = mad Muslim bastards who need a stomping."
How much more racist can you get, lump every single Arab together? And make it national policy? And drop bombs all over their cities?


It appears that a large number of repukes may harbor biases regarding race and sexual preference, but there are many more ways to be bigotted - e.g., against the poor, against non-evangelicals, culturally against Muslims, against science and scientists, against the US Constitution, against the rule of law, against the truth, etc.

Posted by: robby94605 | October 1, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Sanchez always seemed arrogant, highly aggressive and spoke to others with a disdain at times. If it wasn't these abhorent, unacceptable comments he made today and was fired for (deservedly I believe) he would have been fired for something else. He has a huge chip on his shoulder. This event probably will only make it bigger.

Posted by: FifthandLexington | October 1, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

• it's about time the rich and the selfish got a little taste of the Affirmative Action racism and sexism the law makers themselves, mostly gutless white males, drafted into law years ago.
• For the last forty years US Apartheid, the policy of excluding white males by law from promotion, hire, etc. based solely on their sex and race has divided this nation.
• If once upon a time Affirmative Action (what a cute little name for official US government racism and sexism) were needed, that time has long since past.
• But the gutless and self centered politicians are far to frightened to tackle this issue and let the US government hate crime stand.
• Now they get to feel it for themselves.
• You see, only then will the Republiscum realize they have to take action in Congress to prevent it from happening again.
• Only then will the hate crime with the cute name called Affirmative Action be addressed by the white male in the halls of Congress.
• There isn't a white male in America who hasn't been discriminated against due to Affirmative Action. From the self employed contractor who has to compete to get bids for government contracts while they are handed to minorities regardless of bid, to the man applying for work and doesn't get hired because the racial/gender quotas of the employer haven't been met, to those already employed who don't get promoted because they are of the white race and male gender.
• Hopefully, the ignorance or anger of the white male will not overcome this obvious fact. No Republican will EVER end Affirmative Action until he feels the discrimination. Until now, these filthy bastards have been insulated from it all.
• Speaking of insulated, how's that rape cover up in Omaha, going GOP?
• "And the walls came tumbling down" John Mellencamp
• When you rape one of our mothers and our children, you GOP bastards, you rape all of them!!!

They will lock in the bigot vote for the rest of the century and seal their fate as a regional party unable to secure a majority in any of the federal branches of government.
Worried about being labeled bigots?
I guess they aren't worried about being labeled:
- warmongers
- fearmongers
- corrupt
- secretive
- perverts
- adulterers
- mudslingers
- lapel pin patriots
- torturers
I guess all those labels are acceptable.

Posted by: robby94605 | October 1, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Rick Sanchez was fired for insulting his boss, period. Try telling the world your boss is a putz. As for Jews, look if 1/2 of 1% of Americans are Jews and that 1/2 of 1% are so prominent, in so many fields...maybe one should consider why?

Posted by: eidel1 | October 1, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

"I hate what this country has become. When someone speaks the truth about a group they are immediately silenced."
____________________*

Not true at all. On any American network, you may say anything you want about Muslims, Latinos/immigrants or "nappy-headed hoes". You may imply that the president is part of a Muslim terrorist sleeper cell. You may imply that only White people are "hard-working Americans". You may call tea party members racists, bigots, or anything else you want. You may pass laws specifically designed to victimize one group (Rockerfeller drug laws)... NO CONSEQUENCES!

The only group we're not allowed to talk about is Jews.

Posted by: peaceandprotest | October 1, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't really like CNN. It provides very little real news and focuses on big stories long after there is little to report. When the Gulf Oil spills took place CNN ran Gulf Oil segments over and over again well after there was anything to report. I also didn't really consider "Rick's List" much of a program. Rick comes across as not too bright. He proved he is not too bright by saying what he did about Jews. It is true that Jews pretty much run the US media but it is not very bright for a non Jewish media figure to say so. Jews have influence far beyond their numbers because Jews place more emphasis upon education. That is why they have more writers, per capita, than any other group. That is why they have more Supreme Court justices than any other group. That is why they have more movie producers and directors than any other group. That is why they have more money, per capita, than any other group. Sanchez must have been tired of his job. He would have suffered the same fate if he had attacked gays. Free Speech? Not if you attack the wrong groups. Dumb "Goyem".

Posted by: jimeglrd8 | October 1, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

"When I was very young, I told my parents that I wanted to be in the entertainment industry. That's when they sat me down and broke it to me that we were not Jewish."
-- Rick Sanchez's ex-boss, Time-Warner chairman Jeff Bewkes

Posted by: politbureau | October 1, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Rick Sanchez dumb, arrogant,talking head.

What is said is true, firing him for saying it proved his point.

Posted by: googleer | October 1, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

I never liked Rick Sanchez but he is correct in his statements and he should have not been fired. The media is ruled by Jews and they discriminate against Christians and Latinos.

Posted by: junglejamm | October 1, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

robby94605 wrote: "US Apartheid... the policy of excluding white males by law from promotion, hire, etc..."
________________________*

The problem with democracy is that it allows idiots like you to speak in public. You should be neutered and forbidden to speak to anyone beyond "how much is the 40-ounce beer?"

Posted by: peaceandprotest | October 1, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Damn, Rush Limbaugh can call people A L L KINDs of names, Beck can call the president of the united states a racist, O'Reilly, oh well, and John Stewart can call names, kid, and joke about anyone and Sanchez gets fired for his little weak comments??

Posted by: Bajiquan | October 1, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I suspect CNN was just itching to find some opportunity to fire Sanchez and wasted no time when it arose.

Posted by: Ruhu | October 1, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Wow. These comments make me wonder if I'm reading StormFront. You right-wingers are a real bunch of swine.

Posted by: hellslittlestangel1 | October 1, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

That SOME Jews seek to dominate the media and seek to impose the Zionist pespective and to make most other Jews feel like perpetual victims lest they move to Israel is not Sanchez's opinion but an open conspiracy (open in the Jewish press for anyone who reads it)designed "TO FIGHT ASSIMILATOIN INTO GOYIM SOCIETY," as the head of the ADL declared in Israel not long ago. In the end, you anger enough groups and CNN will go the way of WashPo: no readers so no ads. We are NOT all "dumb goyim" you know.

Posted by: danieleteodoru | October 1, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

junglejam wrote:

"The media is ruled by Jews and they discriminate against Christians and Latinos."

Hi Sarah Palin! So nice to see you here.

Seriously...

Wake up people, it's obvious Sanchez wanted more than his weekend slot on CNN. So he blows up with some inane babble and...

Here we come; FOX new prime time show!!!!!!!

FOX news needs an Uncle-Tom Latino to provide more "balanced" news...

Just wait for the Rick Sanchez show on FOX news...

Cheers!

Posted by: 1970sRedskin | October 1, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Rick Sanchez down, Dan Lemon to go.

Let's clear CNN of nitwits.

Posted by: bandmom22 | October 1, 2010
==============================

It's Don Lemon, and I like him.

As for Sanchez, after listening to this interview, I almost feel sorry for him. He has more than just one or two "issues." I think he has some real psychological problems and I hope he gets help.

Posted by: MadamDeb | October 1, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Ha ha say something against the Jews and you're finished. Nah, they don't control anything.

Posted by: alientech | October 1, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

The issue with Sanchez getting has nothing to do with being denied of his 1st Amendment rights. There has been no charges brought against him criminally.

The issue is (and this holds truth for most people) when an individual behaves in a way that puts his company in a bad light, he's asking to be fired. People, regardless of of they work, are representatives of their company. Unfortunately for Sanchez his job is in the public eye, so his actions are scrutinized much more.

Posted by: megara36 | October 1, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Rick Sanchez seemed to be very much stuck on himself - and often appeared pretty ignorant.

Whether or not he should have been fired for those remarks (I think the decision was the correct one,) what really shocks me is how many Jew-haters there are. I guess I just didn't expect them on the Poat website. I'm Jewish and I'm pretty shocked at all you anti-Semites out there.

I guess now that all the tea-partyers have made it OK to be openly rascist against blacks, it's also ok for all you anti-Semites to crawl out of your closets.

Posted by: ninahoffman | October 1, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone remember Lou Dobbs? He left because he had opinions that didnt agree with CNN. Anyone who has one gets fired from CNN. at least on Fox news they can say or do anything they want. who will be next?? John King you better watch yourself or you will be next on the list. I enjoyed his show myself and I wish him well.

Posted by: browneyes1 | October 1, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone remember Lou Dobbs? He left because he had opinions that didnt agree with CNN. Anyone who has one gets fired from CNN. at least on Fox news they can say or do anything they want. who will be next?? John King you better watch yourself or you will be next on the list. I enjoyed his show myself and I wish him well.

Posted by: browneyes1 | October 1, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Stay off the streets of Atlanta!!

Drunk Rickie is on the loose!!!

Posted by: ugottabkiddin | October 1, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

"

Here are the facts. You can flop your lips; you can clap your teeth. Truth is AMERICA IS UNDER OCCUPATION:

1-Jews control almost 100% of what we see, read or hear throughout the day. Although there is the rare article that wasn't written by a Jew, pretty much all the media bosses are Jewish or kiss Jewish aass, if they want to earn a living.

2- Jews control 100% of our politicians. They ALL HAVE TO support the holocaust in Palestine, and MUST express their "unwavering support" of Israel, a nuclear-armed superpower that has stolen 78% of Palestinian land, and locked all of them up in concentration camps. Otherwise, they're out at the next election, GUARANTEED... or they could be impeached.

3- Jews control both houses of Congress in America. We create laws specifically for them, like the "hate crimes" law. I have never seen a "love crime". In much of Europe, YOU GO TO JAIL simply for saying that the Holocaust numbers are inflated.

4- Our president MUST, from time to time, reaffirm his "unwavering support of Israel". Otherwise, he's out at the next election, GUARANTEED, or he could be impeached.

5- Jews control almost ALL our banks, which means that they control our money.

6- Jews control almost all our schools and universities, and mold students to be Jew lovers.

7- Jews control ALL our textbooks.
etc, etc...

AMERICA IS UNDER OCCUPATION.
______________________________

So, I guess if you type-scream in all-caps certain words, it excuses you from actually having to prove them. They are the facts, simply because you SAY they are. (See? I did it there!)

Here are the facts: You, sir, are a dumbass. And EVERYONE here knows it.

Posted by: markar14 | October 1, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Why is this guy pulling the race card? He is white. His ancestors obviously came from Spain.

Why is Spain the only European country capable of producing "minorities" in the US? What's so special about it? It borders France and Portugal -- are we supposed to believe that someone whose ancestors came from an inch inside French territory is not a "minority," but if his ancestors had moved an inch over into Spanish territory he IS a "minority"?

The stupidity of the American minority "victim" hierarchy on full display in this dude's comments. I suppose the King of Spain would be an "oppressed minority," according to the US victim hierarchy.

Posted by: MaryJessel | October 1, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

I actually saw the Sanchez segment that was featured on the Daily Show. I was watching him in amazement that someone that DUMB could get a cable news show. Then when I saw him skewered later on that evening on the Daily Show I said, "Okay, so it wasn't just me!"

Seriously, anybody want to take any bets on how long it'll be before he signs on over at FoxNews? They don't seem to care if their hosts have intellect either.

Posted by: Donderro | October 1, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

I don't have the time to review all these posts, but I will say the the Jews do have an inordinate influence that I would love to see minimized. Jews simply do not promote America's historical values. They are less than 2% of the US population yet they send the rest of us to fight for their cause.

Posted by: DinoD | October 1, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't have the time to review all these posts, but I will say the the Jews do have an inordinate influence that I would love to see minimized. Jews simply do not promote America's historical values. They are less than 2% of the US population yet they send the rest of us to fight for their cause.

Posted by: DinoD | October 1, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

What Sanchez said was not true; it was offensive because it implied race-wide control and conspiracy that goes back to the hideous fabrication, "The Secret Protocols of the Elders of Zion", alleging a plot to control the world by Jews. Pinch on that nerve and of course you're going to get a powerful reaction. The truth itself would have kept Sanchez out of trouble, e.g.:

"Yes, they're a minority and have to deal with stereotypes just as Hispanics do, but you'll admit the stereotypes are somewhat different. When you talk about Jewish stereotypes - and I'm just describing the stereotypes, you understand, not making them - usually they're of people in the intelligentsia, the arts, entertainment or professionals. The stereotypes are "positive", but they ignore that there are Jewish athletes, Jewish dishwashers, Jewish farmers - in other words, they're no different than anyone else. The stereotypes for Hispanics, on the other hand, are illegals, gang members, migrant workers, restaurant workers, etc., ignoring Hispanic professionals, musicians, artists, entertainers, intellectuals, etc. - again, just like everyone else. The point is that an anchor position fits into one set of stereotypes and not another. Now no one can deny that or that these stereotypes exist. And it's neither Jews or Hispanics who are responsible for creating these stereotypes - it's all of us, to one degree or another. We really need to get to the point where we focus exclusively on the individual and not his or her DNA sequence."

That (I'm reasonably sure, but who knows) would have put Sanchez on much firmer footing.

Posted by: treetopflyer | October 1, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Lou Dobbs and Rick Sanchez were terminated, asked to leave, or whatever, not because they had opinions different from CNN but because their public expression of personal opinions while representing the network were highly offensive and insulting to large segments of the population, some of whom were not of the targeted population groups, but who were none the less very offended and insulted. Just like Helen Thomas. Some may agree with them; some do not; but opinions like that from journalists need to be offended or they need to find forums that pay them for those opinions.

Posted by: nana4 | October 1, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

And so what does Sanchez do? He removes himself from the opportunity to, as a Cuban American who speaks beautiful Spanish and knows the culture, represent this constituency in the best possible way, to interpret for them, and he does so by using bigotry and self victimization and dissing other ethnic groups. The best thing I enjoyed about Sanchez was when he would find cause to use the Spanish language. What a shame and a waste of opportunity.

Posted by: nana4 | October 1, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Both my parents are Jewish and my job is to write content for the web. I'm sorry for being a living stereotype and for keeping the rest of you down with my Jewishness and for expressing Jewy opinions on the internet.

Posted by: ReginaldSmash | October 1, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Rick Sanchez was not a very good tv anchor and sometimes showed great ignorance on things. I could care less if he was Cuban or Fillipino or White. I just expected more quality..and he also tended to over-dramatize stories a little too much. I don't think Jon Stewart is bigoted at all and I think he is kind to all sorts of people. I think Sanchez was going thru "male menopause" when he went on his rant. He would be better in a smaller station.

Posted by: MsDelite444 | October 1, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't think he was particularly bright for the position he held, and was surprised he lasted this long. I don't especially care about the nature of the comments he made that got him fired...seems his superiors were waiting for a clear excuse to fire him.

Saying that most of the media is under the control of people with a Jewish background is one thing. Saying that Jewish people control the media and are conspiring to propound a pro-Jewish mindset on everyone is a very different thing.

The first may be true, but it doesn't make the second one so.

Also, I have to unfortunately agree with some who suspect Sanchez may have gotten his job in part because he is a minority. I'm sure he did well in the interview...but if they'd watched and listened a little longer, it would have become obvious that he was a bit shallow and empty-headed. But they can't all be Brian Williams I suppose.

Also agree with others who believe he might end up at Fox...where critical thinking skills are obviously not a prerequisite for employment there...even long term.

Posted by: postgettingworse | October 1, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

October 1, 2010 at 8:14 pm
It is a big mistake to corner Rick into a position where he express a personal opinion. As a journalist, he has been one of the most fair that I have watched. I am a liberal Democrat, and I believe Rick deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Please NBC, offer Rick a position so that he can continue his nonpartisan journalism.

OR Rick, come to South Florida and lets run for a state-wide elected office on the Democrate ticket

Posted by: garywedu | October 1, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

October 1, 2010 at 8:14 pm
It is a big mistake to corner Rick into a position where he express a personal opinion. As a journalist, he has been one of the most fair that I have watched. I am a liberal Democrat, and I believe Rick deserves the benefit of the doubt. CNN acted too quickly.

Please NBC, offer Rick a position so that he can continue his nonpartisan journalism.

Or Rick, come to South Florida and let run for an elected office on the Democrate ticket

Posted by: garywedu | October 1, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I am well educated but I never gave a thought to Rick Sanchez's heritage or race. He has a chip on and maybe rightfully so. But he needs to keep it in check at all times as a public figure. He did talk too much on his show and seemed relatively clueless at times. Thought it might be part of his "act". But as a reporter or anchor he shouldn't have a visible "act". CNN can and should do much better. I'll be glad to not have to listen to his loud ranting. Rule #1 to employment: though shalt not speak ill of the hand that feeds thee.

Posted by: jdp123 | October 1, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

There is a new documentary movie out about the whole Sirius Xm story from the beginning to the near bankruptcy. I did not know satellite radio was invented by a TRANSGENDER WOMAN!!! Cool. DVD is everywhere but cheaper at the film site: www.stockshockmovie.com

Posted by: DeniseHubbard | October 2, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Fox News will pick him up.

Posted by: gen_coz
============================
No, Fox won't. In fact, except for Willie Geist over on MSNBC in the early morning, Fox will not find anyone suitable for recruiting over at CNN, MSNBC, or that toilet for rejects - Headline News.

Pity. They could do without Hannity and a couple of the vacuous Fox blondes.

Of that sad talent pool though, Sanchez might be the least likely to be offered a job. The guy was absolutely awful. Hardcore smug Lefty with an IQ of 78. Maybe Cuba will take him for radio or TV Granma out of Havana.

Posted by: ChrisFord1 | October 2, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

As someone who has watched Mr. Sanchez's show, and as a Conservative! I can assure you I did not agree with this 'view point' on all things, but he gave the Right a fair shake. Also before commenting please listen to the interview, thank you.
Mr. Sanchez was unfairly dismissed by CNN. CNN had a strong audience at 3pm and at 8pm for them during Rick's shows, why, because he was interactive with all his audience and we all took to the back and forth, give and take. I would not have chosen the words he did ,but he is NOT a racist.
Here is the Left's definition of Free Speech, it's okay as long as you agree with us, if not, you are fired. Question? When will Keith Olbermann be fired? Ed Schultz? Rachel Maddow? Ah..you see, they agree with them, so therefore they are safe. Disgusting. CNN should be ashamed.

Posted by: Rachel1776 | October 2, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

This is just one symptom of the deregulation of the media. When a company could only own a handful of outlets in a particular market, we had 100,000 independant views. Now 95% of the media is owned and controlled by 4 companies. That's how the echo chamber works. If guys like Rick Sanchez can deliver the message in an entertaining way, he doesn't need to be intelligent or educated or capable of critical thought. If he's not working on CNN, he'll get work on Fox, Clear Channel, or anyone else who'll pander to the petroleum and pharmaceutical lobbies.

Besides, the world is really being run by conspiracy theorists. :)

Posted by: me_mcme | October 2, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Most of us are mentally trapped to think Jewish!!
Actually, it is safe to say that virtually every mainstream publication or or other type of media organ is "nothing more than a screen to present chosen views." The great battle over the last century has been a battle for the mind of the Western peoples, i.e., non-Jewish Euros. The chosen won it by acquiring control over essentially the complete mainstream news, information, education and entertainment media of every type, and using that control to infuse and disseminate their message, agenda and worldview, their way of thinking, or rather the way they want us to think. Since at least the 1960s this campaign has been effectively complete. Since then they have shaped and controlled the minds of all but a seeming few of us in varying degree with almost no opposition or competition from any alternative worldview. So now most of us are mentally trapped in the box the chosen have made for us, which we have lived in all our lives. Only a few have managed to avoid it or escape it, or to even sometimes see outside of it, and so actually "think outside of the (Jewish) box." --Michael Santomauro

Posted by: ReporterNotebook | October 2, 2010 2:33 AM | Report abuse

It would have been common decency to allow Sanchez to explain himself to CNN and to his viewers. Companies have become too hasty in cutting ties if they fear bad publicity or lawsuits. While I am no fan of Imus, I think he was dropped too quickly. Then again, perhaps CNN was already looking for an excuse. Sure Sanchez is a bit of a wild card, but that was his appeal to many. I like Stewart and Sanchez. I hate that this happened because both seem to express thoughts and ideas that won't be voiced on "certain" other networks. I really hope this does not ruin Sanchez's career. I think he is a good man at heart. I feel the same way about Stewart. Can't we all just get along? Seems it is getting to the point that people don't know what to say for fear it will be the thing that ends their careers. Do we want honesty or insincerity? I guess Sanchez could have said "I love the guy" but then we would not know how he really feels. Why does it seem everyone is looking for a reason to be offended anymore? Let Sanchez and Stewart hash it out. Perhaps they could come to a mutual understanding and everyone then could move on amicably. Funny how some can say any offensive thing about our President and that is accepted as opinion journalism (Beck saying Pres. Obama is a reverse racist, for example) but expressing an opinion about anyone else could be grounds to get you fired. Maybe CNN was scared Stewart would not give them access to his rally. Who knows...

Posted by: windward1 | October 2, 2010 5:16 AM | Report abuse

The source of the devil's power, is in his ability to deceive men into believing that he, and his power, does not exist.

Posted by: hared | October 2, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Rick Sanchez has has always used his media profession to feel privileged above the audience, hit-and run means you left the scene of the accident! "I went home to get my licence" is unacceptable, the rest of us have to carry ours with us when we drive! Rick, You Are Not Special! You owe the people of this nation Jail Time, run for office if you dare... you'll get the public thrashing you deserve and many have been waiting for - for years. I remember the sh*t you said when we were young, you are as much a bigot as anyone you accuse it of!

Posted by: MiamiRemembers | October 2, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I think the people who are saying Sanchez was an affirmative action hire miss the point. Look at him - he could have had a Hollywood career. They hired him because he's pretty. You could be the most brilliant journalist who ever lived and have the eloquence of Christ on the Mount of Olives, but if you look like Stephen Hawking, you're not getting anywhere near a camera.

So CNN hired the pretty boy and discovered that his on-screen gaffes and his lack of judgment overwhelm any advantages his good looks bring to the table.

Sanchez says he had to work hard to get to where he is, that "none of it was handed to me." I submit that he got where he is BECAUSE it was handed to him. Unless he owes his looks to a plastic surgeon.

But of course, if you lose a job, it always comes down to the same reason: It's the Joooooooooooz.

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 2, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Did someone post a link to this article on Stormfront or something?

Cripes, you guys are a bunch of whiney babies, no better than those weak-sisters, Al-Qaeda. Instead of analyzing your weakness and trying to better yourself, you instead make up conspiracies and try to blame your plight on others.

Oh, no, the Jews are coming! Boo!

Posted by: steve1231 | October 2, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

rick sanchez is a classic case of someone being given enough rope to hang himself. instead of him taking good advantage of a prime opportunity, putting his tsunami-esque ego on the back burner, and reporting the news OBJECTIVELY and minus the hispanic seasonings - he chose to interpret every shred of news through his individual cultural microscope. i stopped watching because i was sick of el photos del dia and all the other gibberish coming out of his mouth. cnn sh/have reined him in a long time ago - mr minority poster boy. puhleez...he lived the good life in cuba and that's why all those poor, under- privileged black countrymen of his kicked their butts out when castro took over. so america taught him what discrimination was all about - ? maybe- maybe not..he may have gotten the fringe of it but his darker skinned compatriots went through the real deal, as only america can give it. so rick, stop bawling in yr mojitos, stop fighting what are essentially on-point white-bread conservative, caricatures aptly provided by stewart/ colbert et al, and stop pretending to be something yr not - a minority.

Posted by: msabena99 | October 2, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

People take a good look at Rick Sanchez. The man is as white as other white males. How in the h$ll is he a minority? Please understand, Hispanics are not a race of people. You have many black Hispanics, an example playing in the National Baseball League. These baseball players are black and Hispanic and look like the average black U.S. citizen walking the streets in America.

Rick Sanchez and the late Cuban actor Desi Arnez are white males. I can assure you during segregation in the United States and Jim Crow laws, white males like Rick Sanchez, Andy Garcia, and Desi Arnez would be allowed to drink from a water fountain and go into any white establishment. I can assure you, my black behind wouldn't be allowed into these places. Rick Sanchez is a white male who's ethnicity is Cuban by way of Spain.

Posted by: Ward4DC | October 2, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Rick Sanchez - white Cuban gets fired from liberal CNN for anti-semitism ?

Posted by: pvilso24 | October 2, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I think this guy is delusional !

Its true he is categorized as a minority by government definition, but what I see is a "white guy".
For frame of preference...I am a middle age black man.

But I still think the majority of people see him as a white guy. Regardless as to where he was born.

To be a minority is to be seen as "Other"

But what is really going on here is an attempt at PAY-BACK !!
This was a ill-conceived but cleaver attempt to use the race-card to strike back at Jon Stewart and CNN that kinda got out of hand. Meaning he never really believed the stuff he was saying in the interview.

Posted by: road_dog6 | October 2, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

There are a lot of comments here with the assumption that Mr Sanchez was a employee at CNN in " Good Standing" !!!

Maybe he was NOT and he knew it. CNN just recently got new leadership. I never had a favorable impression of him, maybe the new leadership didn't either.


Maybe this incident just gave New management an opportunity ito accelerate their plans for change at CNN.

Just my thoughts!

Posted by: road_dog6 | October 2, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

He was given time to answer questions? He never offered his guests that opportunity. Watching him interrupt experts during interviews was maddening to say the least, never allowing them a chance to finish a sentence, much in the fashion other former CNN smart asses, Zahn, Brown and Dobbs. A long gig at a 500 watt radio station in Little Havana would be good for all of us.

Posted by: dubhlaoich | October 2, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

BTW, his 1st Amendment, free speech, rights were not violated. If the government forced him off of CNN, that would have been a violation. No such thing occurred. CNN fired him.

Posted by: dubhlaoich | October 2, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the black posters here. It's high time we stopped treating white people with Spanish names as a "minority." They shouldn't get affirmative action or any other minority privileges.

Posted by: MaryJessel | October 2, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Sanchez like football

Posted by: Truckr | October 2, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

What a relief that Sanchez is gone from CNN!

I could barely stand to watch his show, especially when he'd start with what made me think I'd accidentally tuned into Telemundo or Univision cable tv: that awful pandering Latin music intro... oy! I love Latin music, but... gimme a break, I speak English, and don't particularly want to be forced to listen to propaganda for amnesty for illegal invaders scored by Latin music.

Good riddance.

Mark Pepp
Chicago

Posted by: pobox10275 | October 2, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Is he paranoid much? He is one of the reasons I stopped watching CNN. Honestly I could not stomach him any longer! I may check out CNN again.

Posted by: Upjoe | October 2, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Sanchez must have poor memory..remember the Helen Thomas affair? Shoot your mouth off and see what happens. "Free speech", does not entitle folks to jobs or access to news media. Speak as much as you want Rickie, on the soap box in the park. BTW, who defended him at CNN, kept him on? the so-called "bigot" Jonathan Klein.

Posted by: chicago8 | October 2, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

CNN is one of the most anti-Israeli news outlets. No one believes they fired Sanchez over the Jewish comment. Just look at this CNN anti-Israeli piece. The message is simple here: the Palestinian soccer team is good; the Israeli soccer team is bad. Why? The Israeli fans are all right-wingers.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/football/09/14/football.israel.palestine.beitar/index.html

Posted by: Gary49 | October 2, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I am a bit disappointed in JON STEWART in all this.

Why was he baiting Sanchez? When he got wind that Sanchez was uncomfortable with the baiting, why continue? Was Sanchez fair game because Jon Stewart is indeed a bigot? Because for the life of me I cannot see the need to bait someone even for a comedy show unless you had some serious grievance against that person.

Did he single out Sanchez to be just plain nasty? What point was he making? Is he caught up in his own PR? I enjoyed watching BOTH shows= CNN and Comedy Central.

I will think twice about watching Jon Stewart again. Could he not have intervened? He's powerful enough to be a cyber bully . Did he metaphorically drive Sanchez to commit professional suicide? Is there a law for that?

Posted by: Digi | October 2, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

peaceandprotest, Cairo is the capital of Egypt, not Israel. This is where the President went. Before Cairo he went to Istanbul to assure Turkey that is an important ally. Did you see him going to Jerusalem at least once during this term? You are obviously one of those who also believe that General Petreous went to TV to calm the situation over the book burning because he was afraid that his soldiers will be attacked by a bunch of Jews. You are probably blaming the Jews for your dropping out of school too.

Posted by: Gary49 | October 2, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Sanchez said so many things at this interview that could have had him fired. I wonder why everyone belives that he was fired over his comments about Jews. People go the media with negative comments about their employers and then get fired regularly. But how many blame Jews for this.

Posted by: Gary49 | October 2, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

his nitwitness didn't get him fired. it's what got him the job. what got him fired was calling out the northeastern liberal elite that hired him for who they are. of course there's censorship & bigotry (or prejudice or whatever it takes to be pc) among the liberal ruling tribe that run the media. they just express it more subtly than the fox crowd as rick indicated... like by canning is butt when he calls them out on it.

Posted by: notie | October 2, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

95% of journalists are hack journalists.

Hack journalists lie for profit, hustle for their political party, and corrupt the truth.

The truth void created by loss of journalistic integrity leads to 8 years of mass ignorance allowing the country to tank and jobs lost while arguing about a war on Christmas.

Stewart attacks journalists who kill truth & watch country tank for profit while Americans lose jobs.

Hack journalist attacks Jews and Jon Stewart, hack journalist loses job.

All Jon Stewart did was give Sanchez the Jim Crammer treatment.

Rick Sanchez should not have been fire. The media in general is vicious and nasty towards anybody it disagrees with except for Jews. If people like Sanchez or Helen Thomas lose their jobs I’m all for it if the other 90% of media personalities lose theirs for being equally offensive to everyone else. Either everyone’s feelings count or no one’s feelings count. Sanchez should have a beer with the Dixie Chicks while waiting for Fox to call.

Posted by: jkrovari | October 2, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

One more arrogant tv blowhard bites the dust. One down too many more to go. It would be so nice to have news again.

Posted by: xmptle | October 2, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Sanchez should have realized that there ARE no bigoted Democrats:
http://gravelle.us/content/fact-there-are-no-bigoted-democrats

After all, if liberals were bigots, they'd elect Klansmen:
http://www.dailyscoff.com/?p=2659


-jjg

Posted by: jgravelle | October 2, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Sanchez was destroyed because he was so destroyable. His intensity and director- style approach were so transparently fake that he had become a buffoon on the air. He also came across as uninformed and incompetent, as does Don Lemon. Virtually all of the weekday CNN reporters are, at best, mediocre. The prime-time CNN cast has some class, notably Blitzer. But, Wolf better watch out. Jack McCaffery is on the verge of ruining the Situation Room. His simplistic dogmatism shows a complete lack of understanding of the realities of governance in this country. Crusading for ridding Congress of "every parasitic incumbent" and refering to deficit-spending as "criminal" smack of the Tea Party Movement and are unworthy a Situation Room principal. This kind of FOX-like commentary is totally irresponsible and severely cheapens W. Blitzer's show. It is not far from the Lou Dobbs type demagoguery which came close to killing CNN as an independent news network.

Posted by: Benton44 | October 2, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Sanchez was destroyed because he was so destroyable. His intensity and director- style approach were so transparently fake that he had become a buffoon on the air. He also came across as uninformed and incompetent, as does Don Lemon. Virtually all of the weekday CNN reporters are, at best, mediocre. The prime-time CNN cast has some class, notably Blitzer. But, Wolf better watch out. Jack McCaffery is on the verge of ruining the Situation Room. His simplistic dogmatism shows a complete lack of understanding of the realities of governance in this country. Crusading for ridding Congress of "every parasitic incumbent" and refering to deficit-spending as "criminal" smack of the Tea Party Movement and are unworthy a Situation Room principal. This kind of FOX-like commentary is totally irresponsible and severely cheapens W. Blitzer's show. It is not far from the Lou Dobbs type demagoguery which came close to killing CNN as an independent news network.

Posted by: Benton44 | October 2, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

I love that Rick is so honest hes fair and honest..He was completely bated into an argument and I believe they set him up knowing he had issues with this guy...

I don't see why he was fired and I didn't hear him say one bad thing about Jews..what I heard was he... knows they have suffered in the past and knows that in some places they still have issues but over all they are so powerful in this country they can't relate to those whom are not Jewish or White male.. My question is ... what part of what he said is wrong? Why is this deserving of being fired ? The Jewish community is very powerful and we are suppose to be in a country were we value freedom of speech.. but every one keeps getting fired for sharing their thoughts.. so now what we live in is a communist country..

Posted by: Jillbee | October 7, 2010 3:40 AM | Report abuse

I've been watching CNN here in South Africa for many years,and agree with other commentators that it has downgraded over recent years.When Jon Stewart airs,we switch off.What Rick said hit the nail on the head.Go to Al-Jazeera,Rick.

Posted by: JonnoZA | October 8, 2010 1:55 AM | Report abuse

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.




characters remaining

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company