Lisa's Favorite Sites

Stephen Colbert walks out on 'The View'

Five days after the real Bill O'Reilly came on "The View" to push some buttons on "The View," Comedy Central's Faux'Reilly, aka Stephen Colbert, came on the show to do the same.

Stephen Colbert stops by "The View." (Donna Svennevik/ABC)

"The Stephen Colbert of 'The Colbert Report' is actually a character. He's ultra-conservative. He makes Rush Limbaugh seem liberal," Sherri Shepherd, she of "The Earth May Be Flat" school, says to kick off the Colbert chat.

"Do you share any of his views?" she asks the cable network late-night star.

"Sometimes my character and I agree and it doesn't matter to me if my audience knows when that is," he cracks.

(Scroll down to video of Stephen Colbert walking out of "The View.")

Sherri looks puzzled. The ladies are not sure what it was they were up against; they will spend most of their time on the couch with Colbert trying to determine whether he is in-character or out - like those politicos tried in vain to do when Colbert did appeared in Washington at that House Judiciary Committee's Immigration Subcommittee hearing.

The Ladies of "The View" didn't have any more luck.

"Do you have anything you'd like to say to us, in or out of character?" "The View" den mother Babs Walters asks by way of testing the waters.

"I've got something I'd like to say to you! What is it going to take to be one of your most 10 Most Fascinating People in the World?" he responds, in re Babs annual ABC primetime celebrity-suck-up special.

"You're not there yet," Babs sniffs.

"What part of this is not fascinating to you? In the morning, I can barely walk away from a full-length mirror," Colbert shoots back happily. He's in his element.

"You go in and out of who it is. Which one am I talking to? " says a clearly frustrated Babs.

California First Lady Maria Shriver, filling in for "View" regular Joy Behar, wisely changes the subject. She wants Colbert to know how excited her daughter, who she says - Name Drop Alert -- "attends Georgetown," is excited about attending Comedy Central's Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear.

That's the rally Colbert and his Comedy Central counterpart (and boss) Jon Stewart are staging on the Mall in Washington, on Oct. 30.

"Jon announced he was going to have a Rally to Restore Sanity, which I don't understand," Colbert explains to "The View" audience.

"I don't understand a moderate rally. Moderates don't generally get together and shout things. It's hard to be extremely moderate. It's like wearing an extra medium," Colbert says.

Colbert pulls from behind the sofa a small banner from Martin Luther King's march on Washington, dated August 28, 1963.

"This is Martin Luther King's march on Washington. I was there," Colbert continues.

"My mom went to this. She was pregnant with me. So I have first dibs on the national mall. Jon Stewart is literally on my territory," he said, ostensibly nicking Stewart -- but really nicking Glenn Beck's rally at the Lincoln Memorial on the Mall in Washington, which the Fox News Channel on-air talent had first announced -- then announced how surprised he was to learn it was the exact same day Martin Luther King had marched on Washington and given his famous I Have a Dream Speech at the Lincoln Memorial on the Mall, many years earlier. And you thought Colbert was the only guy who could play a character.

Sherri guesses the "sanity" bit in the Oct. 30 rally is not Colbert's part.

"I'm not big on it," TV Colbert responds.

"Fear was my part. Fear is useful. Our ancestors, the ones who weren't afraid of snakes, did not reproduce," he continues batting the Ladies of The View around like a cat with mice.

"What?" says Babs.

"They weren't afraid of snakes.

If you weren't afraid of snakes, the snake would bite you.

You would die.

And then you wouldn't have a chance to have children," Colbert explains, speaking slowly like he's talking to a senior mouse who deserves his patience and respect.

"That's why you're not on 'Fascinating People' cause you make no sense," snaps Babs who, ironically, had made a point, just a few minutes earlier in the show, of letting people know how much smarter she is since having her heart surgery which enables more blood to flow to her brain.

"What are you trying to accomplish?" an exasperated/exhausted Sherri finally asks Colbert.

"I'm trying to keep fear alive. Jon says we have to be rational and sane. There are actually things out there to be afraid of, "Cobert notes.

Like what?

"Bedbugs," Colbert says.

"I agree," jumps in Elisabeth Hasselbeck the show's token right-wing blonde who, has been looking for an opportunity to get a word in edgewise and who, like Sherri, is still operating on the mistaken believe they are conducting an actual interview.

"I'm terrified of them. They're everywhere! Movie theaters. I hear they're on the couch on 'The View'," Colbert cracks.

"No they're not!" Sherri says.

"That's why Whoopi and Joy jumped up the other day -- to get away from the bedbugs...You weren't being rude to Bill. You were just trying to get away from the infestation."

" I wasn't being rude to anybody," sniffed Whoopi.

They're talking about O'Reilly's appearance on the show when that Fox News Channel on-air talent said 70 percent of Americans don't want "that mosque down there" near ground zero in Manhattan. Whoopi had asked him wny, noting Muslims were among those killed in the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center and O'Reilly shouted back "Because Muslims killed us on 9/11, that's why!" The level of discourse went quickly downhill from there and Whoopi and Behar got up and left, only returning after Babs got O'Reilly to apologize on-air.

Back to Colbert:

"I think you were. I think you were being rude to Bill. I really do," Colbert retorts. He's found his groove.

"Come on, let's discuss. You think Whoopi was rude to bill?" Elisabeth says, thinking she's found her opening.

"You call him Papa Bear. Why?" Elisabeth asks

"Because, like a bear, he's huge and can tear your head off," TV Colbert says.

"Honestly -- your honest opinion about what went down that day," Elisabeth demands to know.

Sweet, naïve Elisabeth.

"Because I'm on your show, I agree with Whoopi -- I think there should be mosques everywhere," Colbert prattles on manically.

"I think this would make a good mosque. This studio would make a lovely mosque. We're facing east, aren't we?"

"If he had even made that much sense, I would have probably been able to handle it," Whoopi says, dryly.

"Bill is talking about emotion. Bill wasn't talking about what the facts were, Bill was talking about what felt right," Colbert explains.

"It feels wrong. That's what my rally is about. It Feels Wrong."

Whoopi starts to say something, Babs does too. But Colbert is In The Moment and swats them away:

"I'm leaving right now. Forget it!" He stands up and leaves. Then immediately turns around and sits back down on the couch.

"I would like to apologize. That was rude of me," Colbert says, faux contritely.

" I want to change the subject," Babs says, pathetically.

By Lisa de Moraes  | October 19, 2010; 1:28 PM ET
Categories:  TV News
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Glee' rerun tonight means a tease of next week's 'Rocky Horror' episode
Next: TLC leaks scene from Sarah Palin's new show

Comments

Colbert is hilarious, can't wait to see the interview.

Posted by: outtech88 | October 19, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Awesome.

Posted by: PostID2 | October 19, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

King Stephen strikes again!

Posted by: trenda | October 19, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Please God, let there be a clip of this on Youtube!

Posted by: LittleRed1 | October 19, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Colbert's a genuinely kind soul and perhaps that takes some by surprise when briefly glimpsed through his hipster character. This came out at the House Judiciary Committee's Immigration Subcommittee hearing, when he answered the dubious Iowan (sorry can't remember the ass' name) who tried to insinuate that Colbert never worked that day on the farm and didn't know about corn picking. Result? The Iowan looked like a surly grouch, Colbert was charming. No partisan bullcrap at the Washington Examiner will persuade me otherwise.

Posted by: Kelly14 | October 19, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Please let this article be as tongue-in-cheek as the interview was. If not, the women of The View are pretty useless as "talk-show hosts."

"Stephen Colbert" of "The Colbert Report" is a character -- and what a character!

Posted by: cfow1 | October 19, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

What an idiot. So over both Colbert and Stewart.

Posted by: njacobs | October 19, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

For everyone who wondered what a face-to-face confrontation between Candece Bergen's character "Murphy Brown" and then Vice President Dan Quayle, would have looked like, this is it.

The ladies of the view seem to take themselves a bit too seriously.

Posted by: HailtotheBuffandBlue | October 19, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Sounds hilarious. I can't believe the snake joke had to be explained. I guess Babs is getting up there.

Posted by: forgetthis | October 19, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I motion that Colbert is the only intelligent person involved in this debacle. That includes Mr. O'Reilly.

Posted by: joshlct | October 19, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

fools such as this are in the media to supposedly entertain. to take any of these people seriously is lunacy

Posted by: pofinpa | October 19, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Colbert is just pure awesomeness. He is able to turn this whole stupid topic around into another dimension of comedic brilliance, with subtle hints of truthful irony. Barbara and her cackling geese can't keep up. Classic

Posted by: FCperson | October 19, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I second joshlct's motion.

Posted by: Clairebell | October 19, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

njacobs said: "What an idiot. So over both Colbert and Stewart."

Thanks so much for letting us know you're "so over" them, njacobs. Please forgive those of us to still like to get our fake news from the jokers on Comedy Central, rather than the clowns on Fox News.

Posted by: tomguy1 | October 19, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

The motion fails.

Posted by: njacobs | October 19, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Colbert is hilarious and this video is priceless, but who edited this article? Typos are sprinkled through this piece like chocolate chips in a muffin.

Posted by: laurenmlandau | October 19, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm no fan of Fox News either. I just worry that when Colbert is invited to testify in front of the U.S. Congress and increasinly people are relying on Clbert and Stewart as their sole sources of news and information that we have dumbed down ourselves as a society.

Rahter than searching for the empirical truth we are settling for the cheap laugh. Not much to be proud of...

Posted by: njacobs | October 19, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

The only lunacy in this thread is displayed by pofinpa.
Stephen Colbert is a genius of comedy.
That crack about the bedbugs in the sofa on "The View" is so topical and amusing.
This delightful excerpt from "The View" is only matched by Colbert's masterful testimony in the Congressional hearing.
He proved without doubt that Congressional "conservatives" have no sense of humor whatsoever, much less any character or honor.
All they have is contempt for the ordinary people who work hard to make a living in this country.
No wonder they took umbrage at Colbert's testimony.
He exposed them for the corporate shills they so inelegantly display themselves as.
We needed him in the healthcare debate to expose a few Senatorial rotten apples.
Draft Colbert for Congress!

Posted by: Judy-in-TX | October 19, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Colbert pwns Mr. Falafel.

Posted by: bs2004 | October 19, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

When will this clown's 15 minutes be up? His schtick is old as the hills. Yawn...just not that funny anymore.

Posted by: password11 | October 19, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Colbert runs rings around the self-infatuated media. All these ladies could do was try to laugh and appear like they were in on the joke he was making of them.

Posted by: bpai_99 | October 19, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Colbert makes them both look like idiots. Brilliant!

Posted by: ozpunk | October 19, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

njacobs, in our Too Much Bad Information age the "empirical truth" is whatever a given person believes it to be. The "empirical truth" is that we are a country ruled by the corporation for the corporation and our elected officials are no longer the buffer between us and them that they once attempted to be occasionally, they are them. And that progressives are now equated with Joe Stalin or Joe Satan, take your pick. And that Americans can no longer tell the difference between reality TV and reality (see Sarah Palin). So keep it up Stephen, fantasy has already won the day. All we have left is a good laugh to cut to the heart of just how ridiculous we are.

Posted by: curtb | October 19, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Nice comeback after falling like a lead balloon on Capitol Hill. Colbert so perfectly embodies the narcissism and sociopathy of so many newscasters and program hosts.

Posted by: pswift00 | October 19, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

pswift00,
I assume you're including that a$$wipe Bill O'Reilly too

njacobs,
I think that most Americans can tell the difference between real news and comedy. Note that I didn't say "all" Americans. After all, there are still a good number who believe the "fair and balanced" hate mongers on Fox.

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | October 19, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

People who ask Colbert "are you in character?" or "who am I talking to" clearly do not know Colbert. He is ALWAYS in character - that is his schtick - which I think is hilarious. That bedbug crack made me choke!

Posted by: mclajwashingtonpost | October 19, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

People who haven't watched Stewart's or Colbert's show that often, should stop with the 'concern' that people who do watch them, use them as their only news source.

Unlike O'Reilly, or Beck, Mssrs. S and C don't try to represent alternatives to "mainstream" news, or even FOX news. They are hardly offering news at all. They offer commentary on the media they are part of, recognizing that FOX, MSNBC, CNBC, network news, and Comedy Central, are all part of the body they critique. You can only 'get' their humor if you are aware of current events from many sources, because the jokes only make sense through a comparison of many vantage points. The only 'news' segments S and C generate are obvious sketches that no one would take as a news 'source' any more than they would the 'Hippie Dippie Weather Man" as an actual meteorologists (George Carlin from 70s variety sketch shows like Fip Wilson, look it up on youtube youngins).

What they do offer in the way of 'real' news are actual clips from other 'real' news shows. So if you were to only watch S and C, you will still see the 'real' news from more sources than most who only watch 'real' news will probably seek out, with the added benefit of seeing it comparatively, so it becomes obvious how ridiculous 'real' news actually is, even more so because 'real' news takes it self so seriously, when it is 'realy' so bogus. S and C have guests from left, right, and middle, who are invited to be candid and 'themselves' in a way that even the rightest of right guests, rarely get to be on right wing talk shows. No fighting, no animosity, although there are the occasional jibes and pokes, it's all done with a smile and laughs, yet real issues get discussed in real ways.

S and C are the 'Mystery Science Theater 3000' of news. They play the news on a screen, and comment on it along with us at home—it will probably only be funny to you, if you come to it already well versed in current events from many sources.

Posted by: grantmh | October 19, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I had a friend who had the same sense of humor.

He was in the fourth grade.

Posted by: dskiff | October 19, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I love Colbert.

He manages to troll those at the highest levels of society regularly and consistently.

His reason for being is the mocking of society at large be it Fox News, Congress, or The View - all of which I enjoy throughly because our society has gradually become an absurd joke in more ways than I can possibly count.

His dead-pan sarcasm completely disarms the sanctimonious, self-righteous and self-important of all their hot air. There's no way to engage him seriously and come out looking good - probably the only effective tactic would be to play along with the gag.

Posted by: cjpotter19 | October 19, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a lot of people on here derive the meaning of their lives from television. Very sad. Turn off the TV and watch the importance of all this ephemeral, short attention span amusement evaporate. You might even become somewhat human again.

Posted by: dionysianmadness | October 19, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

@grantmh,

The fundamental problem is that in their snarky, sarcastic commentary on current events, neither Colbert nor Stewart really do much to propel the conversation forward. Rather, as another poster has pointed out, in brings the debate down to a fourth grade level. Can't we do better as a country?

Posted by: njacobs | October 19, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Watching Colbert on Capitol Hill was , um, priceless.
We obviously don't do Irony in America...not intentionally. (that's ironic, isn't it?)
After 9/11 they said, irony was over.
You've got to be kidding me.
Have you seen the tea partiers discuss the constitution?

And also, does nobody proof-read, or edit. There's more typos, as already mentioned, then you can shake a stick at.

Sister John Michael, of the Sisters of the Perpetual Wrist-Slappers at Holy Trinity, would definitely not approve.

Gotta go. There's somebody I'm supposed to be afraid of. I just have to figure out who it is.

Posted by: fralippi_caravaggio | October 19, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by dskiff:

"I had a friend who had the same sense of humor.

He was in the fourth grade."

Well, if you "friend" with a fourth grader and feel humorous from him, no matter in real world, or Facebook, how serious we should judge your opinion?

Posted by: tristan2004 | October 19, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

@njacobs

You've never watched either show, have you? If you have seen more than a few entirely, including the interviews, you would know S and C are doing nothing that comes close to bringing the discussion down, at all. If you have ever seen Stewart interview Rice, Blair, Fliescher, Bolton, O'Reilly, etc., then you would see an example of how to artfully 'move the discussion along' rarely seen in other interviews—same goes for Colbert, except Stewart can be serious, while Colbert rarely drops character.

Posted by: grantmh | October 19, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Don't Tread On Me: Freedom! Liberty!

Let's take back...'the view'?

I don't like stuff now. I don't. Where's my stuff?
Let's Take IT Back!
From whoever it is, "those people", in, um, Washington or the White House or WallyWorld.

And, and, it's the socialist/fascist/communist/media/poor people with mortgages/all the above...

that's who we should be afraid of.
Finally.
I got a handle on things.

Posted by: fralippi_caravaggio | October 19, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

...I meant, "whom" we should be afraid of.
oh,
whatever...

Posted by: fralippi_caravaggio | October 19, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Lisa tries to hard to be clever and snarky. Lighten up, girl.

Posted by: clarkesq | October 19, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

@grantmh,

I have watched the shows, I guess we interpret Stewart's and Colbert's "performances" differently. I see very little of what you call "moving the discussion along." But that's okay, we don;t have to agree on the shows, their impact, or their relative merits. But I do find myself wondering exactly how Stewart was doing so much for our national discourse in picking a fight with Rick Sanchez...

Yes, he was an idiot blowhard, but he's also going to be replaced by someone of the same ilk who will pursue ratings for his bosses at CNN at the expense of true, honest reporting and reasoned analysis. Frankly, all Stewart really did was re-affirm CNN's strategy.

But reasonable people can disagree as we do here. That's just the way things go. We're both right and we're both wrong. Keep on watching Stewart and I will keep on looking forward to every Friday when my issue of the Economist arrives.

Posted by: njacobs | October 19, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

clark:
but aren't you trying to be clever and snarky, you little irony grabber?

The irony, (there's that word again) is that to be clever and snarky you need to say something, or at least attempt to add content to what you say, so we can tell how really clever and cutting you really, truly are...
And truly, from all that you say, I can see it. Oh, anybody can. Honest.

Posted by: fralippi_caravaggio | October 20, 2010 1:25 AM | Report abuse

This is why I can't watch The View. Most of those women are just not that bright. Asking Colbert if he is in character. Huh?

Colbert is brilliant.

Posted by: msame | October 20, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Colbert's act is growing old - He's just not funny anymore.

Posted by: laugh123 | October 20, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Colbert for Congress!

Posted by: BugsyRIP | October 20, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Steve is so funny!!! Got to love him!!!
If the View cast watched his show more frequently they would have caught quickly on to his great sense of humor.

Posted by: stopmakingexcuses | October 25, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse