Lisa's Favorite Sites

Meghan McCain scoffs at Obama interview with Seacrest; Seacrest bites back

By Lisa de Moraes

[This blog post has been updated]

John McCain's daughter, Meghan went on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" Wednesday to demonstrate her complete lack of understanding on the use of entertainment programming for political gain.

First, she nicked President Obama for having done an interview Tuesday with Ryan Seacrest on Seacrest's syndicated radio show.

"I just think it's -- not so presidential to do an interview with the producer of the 'Kardashians'...I'm one of the people that still holds the office of the presidency very seriously, and I think it's kind of trashy," Meghan sniffed.

Note to Meghan: Seabiscuit's radio show has a reach of 100 million on-air listeners - including millions of mostly younger voters, who are hardest to get to the polls. Oh, and CNN some time ago gave its stamp of approval to the "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" producer and he was Larry King's fill-in of choice, though they did not give him the gig as Larry's permanent replacement. You know Larry King's show -- you've been on it a couple of times.

UPDATE: Thursday morning, Seabiscuit struck back, noting on his radio show that Meghan has tried to get herself booked on said show several times. He trotted out his show's booker, Amy Sugarman, to confirm the fact. Sugarman wondered why Seabiscuit was bringing this up.

"Because she was slamming me on 'The Tonight Show'," he said defiantly.

"What?!" Sugarman squeaked. "That's so random! Why?"

"Because I interviewed the President of the United States." she didn't think this was an appropriate place for a president to speak. Now I understand that we are not 'AC360'," Seabiscuit snarked. Ooh snap!

"Do you want my thoughts?" Sugarman jumped in, in defense of her boss. "If you do the research to see who's actually watching the evening news, I mean, I love all those people as much as anyone else, but I don't watch the evening news, and neither does the majority of people in the younger generation. So if someone is actually smart, like the president, he would go on with you, because he's actually reaching the people that he needs to reach to get to the polls to vote."

"So she apparently has an issue with that, because of the type of show we do, and the fact that I produce a television show called, "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" and she thinks it's just lowbrow," Seabiscuit continued, having worked up a good head of steam.

"But I just want to be clear, it is the lowbrow show that she wanted to come on twice to promote her stuff."

"Or maybe three or four times," Sugarman corrected

Back to Meghan on "Tonight Show":

Having dismissed President Obama as "trashy," Meghan moved on to give her thoughts on the idea of widely presumed soon-to-be presidential candidate Sarah Palin doing a reality series for a cable network that brings us the self-explanatory reality series "I Didn't Know I was Pregnant," the tattoo parlor reality series "LA Ink," as well as the rubber-necking reality series "Hoarding: Buried Alive," and the celebration-of-polygamy reality series "Sister Wives."

"I think the reality show is really going to be a make or break. I also think it's just un-presidential to do a reality show -- but America could just disagree," she said, looking like she'd have second thoughts about America if it did.

Meghan continued her scorched-earth interview with Jay, attacking Sarah Palin's daughter for having not voted Tuesday.

(In an interview Tuesday after the latest results show of "Dancing with the Stars," in which Bristol is competing, the teenager confessed to celebrity suck-up show "Inside Edition" she had neglected to send in her absentee ballot.)

"I think a lot of women worked really hard to give us the right to vote, and I think it's -- anyone who doesn't vote is just ridiculous," Meghan said of Bristol.

"I guess it's only important for Bristol Palin to vote for 'DWTS'," Meghan scoffed - also demonstrating her profound lack of understanding as to the rules of "Dancing with the Stars."

Note to Meghan: Bristol Palin can't vote, pookie. It's her mom who can vote. Her mom, who has been seen on "Dancing" most weeks by about 20 million people, waving, being interviewed, applauding wildly - and when she can't be there in person because it's Election Day, Mama Palin tapes segments for "Dancing" in which she congratulates the Hollywood show's producers for reaching their 200th episode.

Here are clips of Meghan on "The Tonight Show" and Seacrest's response:

By Lisa de Moraes  | November 4, 2010; 4:00 PM ET
Categories:  TV News
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: George W Bush: Kanye's Katrina comment low-point in presidency. Kanye West: Just like when I grabbed Taylor Swift's mic at VMAs
Next: Conan reveals results of his First Guest "Poll"

Comments

Pooky - so much snark from/for Meghan but it seems that's what a girl has to do (Leno) to have someone listen. By the way, Bristol CAN vote but apparently "forgot" to mail in her absentee ballot (with handwritten "Murkowsky).

Posted by: 7720806 | November 4, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I think she meant Bristol can't vote for herself on DWTS. But I don't see how that works--if anyone can call or text in a vote for whomever they wish, couldn't Bristol do the same?

*shrugs*

Posted by: Skowronek | November 4, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Of course America has the right to disagree with Ms. McCain -- just as we had the obligation, in 2008, to do so with her father.

Posted by: Ralphinjersey | November 4, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

So she can appear on Leno's show and then get snarky about others appearing on similar? No class, lady.

Posted by: Lefty_ | November 4, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Meghan McCain, Sarah Palin, Christine O'Donnell, and their ilk have set back women in politics by a generation.

We haven't come so far if we really believe that too much make-up, big hair, and a beauty contestant smile can make being uninformed, ditzy, and grammatically incorrect acceptable.

Posted by: CAC2 | November 4, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Why do people insist on treating this media loving family like they have brains????? Yes I agree I bet Chelsea would NEVER forget to vote knowing how her INTELLIGENT mom (and dad) feels about politics but to Sarah, politics is a huge game to make her family rich. Nothing more nothing less!!!! The Palins owe their bank accounts to SNL and Pres Obama....She plans to make a joke of the 2012 election.

Posted by: MDlady2 | November 4, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Whatever happened to the Tonight Show. After watching it since the Jack Pahr days it has gone from variety show (with real celebs, authors, and notables of the day) to a constant parade of balloon boys and bimboes that have achieved nothing in life, have no unique talent, nor have contributed anything to culture or society. Like Bill Maher's point about Bristol Palin..she's just a teenager having a good time during the greatest years of her life. Let the kid enjoy herself. Mama Griz maybe a bafoon but hey.
Mehgan McCain sounds like a petty high school chearleader trying to gossip her way to Captain of the squad. I found Snookie and 'The Situation' of more value as an object lesson on child rearing. 'Be very afraid, these could be yours!' If I want a freak show I will go to the state fair or a circus.
Maybe there should be a content quality police!

Posted by: Brianwithaneye | November 4, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm you.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Palin/Snooki 2012!!!!!!!!!!

Yeagh!

Posted by: bs2004 | November 4, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...

Posted by: motogp46 | November 4, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

My mom made sure we read up on candidates and voted in *everything*, including our small town's school board elections, as soon as we were eligible. So I do think it's telling that someone in a politician's family doesn't have enough of an interest to vote in this big of a election.

I'm not crazy about Meghan McCain, but she has a good point on that, at least.

Posted by: sarahabc | November 4, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Meghan McCain does not seem to understand that the RIGHT to vote does not then create an OBLIGATION to vote. Part of the right for women to vote is the right for women to obstain from voting, if they so choose. That is what the empowerment of women is really all about: Women having choices. I know Megan McCain is starved for attention and will say and do anything just to get the spotlight, but in this instance, she REALLY makes herself sound like a first-class moron who is clearly so jealous of Bristol Palin, she can't stand it.

Posted by: corymac | November 4, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Meghan dear, keep opening your mouth and proving how ignorant, hypocritical and rude are republican offspring.

Posted by: ccs53 | November 4, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, corymac, choice is nice. But it's pretty hard to say women should be allowed to exercise the choice to sit back and let others dictate their futures and for them and possibly take away all their choices.

If I had a daughter, I'd tell her to educate herself on the issues and march herself over to the polls. Or do early voting or send in an absentee ballot or whatever it takes, you know? We all had ample notice.

Posted by: sarahabc | November 4, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I find it sad that she didn't mail in her ballot. I voted, in person no less. Of course, there are many people who didn't vote this time around--it still makes me sad though.

Posted by: Skowronek | November 4, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, nice that she's so worried about appropriate "presidential" behavior now, whereas she didn't blink an eye when her dad texted Snooki that he would never raise taxes on her fake-bake activities. So you've got FDR reaching out to Churchill, Reagan reaching out to Gorbachev, and McCain the elder reaching out to . . . Snooki?? I also find it somewhat ironic that MM has decided to bash Bristol Palin -- I'm no fan, mind you, but I fail to see much difference between the two (other than the latter's teen pregnancy). I don't see Cambridge calling to bestow an honorary degree on either of these young ladies any time soon.

Posted by: jl1019 | November 4, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Lisa DeMoraes, you and the other commenters here are idiots. It IS unpresidential for Obama to be showing up on fluff shows and spouting empty catchphrases. He is the President, and should act like one, not like some ephemeral pop-culture flavor-of-the-moment. Brad Pitt can go on to a show that reaches millions in order to promote a new movie or some other bit of empty entertainment, but the President has responsibilities to make critical decision and lead the nation, not boost his Q rating.

Posted by: carpiodiem | November 4, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Meghan McCain is getting a little high and mighty. You might think She is jealous her father will never be president And all her botching about the Palins she has her father to thank for them. He is the one who unleashed that terror(ist) on our country. Meghan you have become hypocritical and your thoughts are no longer required.

Posted by: TJA1029 | November 4, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah and your father twittering with snooki is very senatorial now isn't it. We must think before we speak and not only speak what we think. Those who live in glass houses should just shut up

Posted by: TJA1029 | November 4, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

She's absolutely right. Obama cannot be taken seriously when he chooses to skip the Polish state funeral to play golf and then skips the Boy Scout's historical centennial celebration in Washington DC yet heads out to California to appear on the "View". His behavior has been childlike, both irresponsible and self centered. Tuesday, Americans made it known they were fed up.

Posted by: jflynn5110 | November 5, 2010 6:17 AM | Report abuse