Lisa's Favorite Sites
Posted at 11:13 AM ET, 11/30/2010

Harry Smith, Maggie Rodriguez out; Erica Hill rising at CBS's 'Early Show'

By Lisa de Moraes

With Julie Chen safely ensconced in CBS's new daytime mom show gabfest "The Talk," CBS News is giving other members of "The Early Show" on-air team -- co-anchors Harry Smith and Maggie Rodriguez, and weatherman Dave Price -- the old heave ho-ho-ho, just in time for the holidays. CBS News wants you to know, however, that they will continue to be employed by the division -- just elsewhere.

Harry Smith and Maggie Rodriguez (above) are out at "The Early Show"; new co-anchors Erica Hill and Chris Wragge (below) take over Jan. 3.(Jeff Neira/John Paul Filo, CBS)

The show's only surviving member, news reader Erica Hill, is taking over as one of the co-anchors, joined by Chris Wragge, effective Jan. 3. In one of those incredible coincidences that make covering TV so spiritual, Hill and Wragge have co-anchored the Saturday Edition of 'The Early Show' since 2008.

Also joining the show: news reader Jeff Glor and weatherperson Marysol Castro.

Glor has anchored the Saturday edition of the "CBS Evening News" since 2009. And Castro was weather and feature correspondent of ABC News' weekend edition of "Good Morning America" from 2004 to 2010.

Meanwhile, whither goest Harry Smith -- the sole survivor (until now) of the team CBS News seated on the show in 2002, also including Chenbot, Hannah Storm and Rene Syler?

He "will shift his focus to hard news with an expanded role as primary substitute anchor on 'The Evening News with Katie Couric,' 'Face the Nation,' and 'Sunday Morning' while continuing to report major stories for all CBS News broadcasts," CBS News said in Tuesday morning's announcement.

Meanwhile, the news division said it is discussing "prominent and ongoing roles for Maggie Rodriguez and Dave Price."

"We appreciate Harry, Maggie and Dave's countless contributions to 'The Early Show' and are looking forward to the contributions they each will continue to make at CBS News," Sean McManus, President, CBS News and Sports, said in a statement.

When Chen became den mother of "The Talk," which premiered in October, Chen said she would mostly work as a "consultant" for "The Early Show," doing taped pieces.

By Lisa de Moraes  | November 30, 2010; 11:13 AM ET
Categories:  TV News
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: See your new Oscar hosts, Anne Hathaway & James Franco, in action (VIDEO)
Next: Jennifer Grey to discuss beating Bristol Palin on MSNBC

Comments

How did Harry Smith last so long? He's the worst interviewer ever. Constantly talks over the person being interviewed while they're trying to answer his questions, doesn't listen to their answers and frequently appears to be impatiently (uh-huh...uh-huh) looking for the chance to hear himself talk again. Good riddance.

Posted by: myjm1000 | November 30, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Oh. Okay. Will they keep up the morning show routine as others by having at least one Asian or was Chen the last?

Posted by: MissV | November 30, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Too bad, this was the only morning show I could stand. Then again it'll save electricity by turning the TV off.

Posted by: blankspace | November 30, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I wondered where Marysol went after leaving GMA Weekend. She's a good dancer.

Posted by: beeker25 | November 30, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for this breathless report. By the way, which one's pink?

Posted by: habibhaddad | November 30, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I live in NY and sometimes watch the local CBS news with Chris Wragge. He's awful at the staple of morning shows: the anchor chit-chat. His comments are often insipid, inappropriate and/or off-point. He is particularly clueless when it comes to banter about children and families. He also comes across as aloof, rigid and a bit condescending. To his credit, though, he is handsome and reads well.

Posted by: srm6571 | November 30, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Unbelievable. I Love Harry and Maggie; Chris Raggie!!! What are they thinking, what a Dud! Dave Price is the best what is wrong with the people at CBS, who makes these decisions? Obviously they are out of touch with their viewers

Posted by: itsannie | November 30, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Erica Hill and Chris Wragge takes being clueless, and boring to an extreme higher level two days a week, why on earth would CBS now subject viewers to them five days a week? Back to NBC I will go!

Posted by: TWilliams1 | November 30, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWilliams1 | November 30, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

yea, boring is just about the right word

Posted by: RainintheForest | November 30, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

So much for watching the morning news shows. I guess I'll have to go back to watching the Today show. I don't enjoy the CBS Saturday morning show. In fact, the only reason I watch CBS's Saturday morning show is there's nothing else on. That show is like watching something run by MTV.
I'll miss Harry. I love Harry because he cuts through all the bull the talking heads try to say on t.v. Harry has his way of telling the viewer what's legit and what's not. He's a breath of fresh air. I like Maggie, too. I'll miss both of them. Hello NBC.

Posted by: JLArtis | November 30, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Does network morning television matter much any more?
I find all the shows only marginally useful, for news. They seem to be mostly a way for the networks to showcase their entertainment divisions, mixed in with what I find to be fairly banal pop culture material.
In the past Smith appeared to be better out on location for some of the big stories. He'd be well advised to do that and not try to compete as an anchor.
I assume it's the ratings stagnation that leads CBS to this move.

Posted by: observer552 | November 30, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

That show is the worst of the morning shows as it is but it sounds like it's about to get worse, if that's possible.

Posted by: buzzsaw1 | November 30, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Well, there's another part of the 'seal', it gets tighter and tighter...

we'll have a lot of Is rae li spokesmen on...both official and sneaky...and never a bad word about Wall Street or settlements. And lots of Muslim bashing.

Posted by: whistling | November 30, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"Major changes at CBS's 'Early Show'"

People watch the CBS Early Show? Who knew!

Posted by: gun313 | November 30, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Yawn.Who cares,I stopped watching their liberal propaganda a long long time ago.Who takes ABC,CBS and NBC seriously anymore ?

Posted by: votingrevolution1 | November 30, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Anyone remember when Good Morning America had Kevin Newman and Lisa McRee?

This will have the same effect.

Posted by: bs2004 | November 30, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Who cares? No one watches CBS anyway.
"Morning Joe" is the one to watch.

Posted by: state82 | November 30, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Chen lasted only as long as she did because of who she was sleeping with. Maybe Harry Smith should have blown a kiss at Moonves.

Posted by: htimothyjones1 | November 30, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

The days when network news anchor jobs were considered highly prestigious are long, long gone. This story and $5.00 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Posted by: tifoso1 | November 30, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Though not highest rated, CBS's best use of those 2 hours was the "CBS Morning News" with Hughes Rudd and Bruce Morton, followed by "Captain Kangaroo." Maybe Maggie Rodriguez can play Ms. Green Jeans.

Posted by: mattintx | November 30, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

watch washington journal on c-span. morning-joe is awful and impossible to watch and listen to as they all try to talk at the same time.

Posted by: lorac58 | December 1, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

It seems CBS does not learn from its mistakes, all I have to say is Katie Couric and I liked her very much on the Today Show.

The one I'll miss the most is Maggie. I love her enthusiasm and zest for life, which I find is infectious and brings joy to me and probably many other's lives. I think Harry is wonderful and disagree with comments by myjm1000 above. Dave is also wonderful and I love his appreciation for life and great attitude. I like Marysol very much, too, but don't understand why Dave had to be tossed out when he does a great job. Chris Wragge is the worst, Erica is OK but that's all, I think "mediocrity". Am sorry they were replaced.

Posted by: rudy9 | December 2, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

WOW, I am blown away, I just love the trio. I live in Tennessee and always watched the Early Show Monday Thur Friday, now I will be watching NBC. CBS has made a bad mistake, watch the rating's drop now. I am very dis-pleased with this decision.

Posted by: hurricane2159 | December 2, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hurricane2159 | December 2, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I looked up Maggie because I have been out of touch. Now I know she is gone from the "Early Show!!!" I am very sorry to hear that she will no longer be on the show!!! I enjoyed her sensitivity and ability to relate in a real way to the subjects and people she reported on and those that she interviewed. I was also sorry to read that Harry and Dave on out too!!! I usually watched my local news and weather on CBS, I like it too, and then the "Early Show" followed. I've channel surfed looking for personalities and the method of presenting news and subjects of interest and so far have not related to any like I did Maggie, Harry and Dave, I like Erika too, on the "Early Show." I hope Maggie, Harry and Dave will be as fulfilled in their new roles as they seemed to be on the "Early Show."

Posted by: laddyquita | December 6, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse