Lisa's Favorite Sites

'Rubicon' falls victim to zombies at AMC

By Lisa de Moraes

AMC announced Thursday it would not renew its conspiracy thriller "Rubicon" for a second season.

The series is about an analyst at an intelligence analyst NYC-based think tank who begins to suspect he's actually working for members of a secret society that's manipulating world events.

When it officially premiered on Aug. 1, 2010, AMC bragged the unveiling had set a record as the most watched debut of an AMC original. Over its 13 episodes, the show averaged about 1.6 million viewers. BUt more than half of those fans were 50 years old, or older. The network targets 18-to-49-year-olds.

Thursday, AMC issued the following explanation-ish about its decision to whack the show:

"'Rubicon' gave us an opportunity to tell a rich and compelling story, and we're proud of the series.This was not an easy decision, but we are grateful to have had the opportunity to work with such a phenomenally talented and dedicated team."

Translation: "Did you SEE our 'The Walking Dead' numbers?!"

Here's a behind-the-scenes look at the "Rubicon" series finale:

By Lisa de Moraes  | November 11, 2010; 2:56 PM ET
Categories:  TV News
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Christine O'Donnell fighting late night terrorism
Next: 'Arrested Development' history repeats itself: Fox pulls 'Running Wilde' for rest of November sweep

Comments

Darn! I really liked Rubicon.
Well, at least it got the idea out - in one brilliant 13-episode season yet - that one or more intelligence agencies could be causing terrorist disasters for huge corporate profits.
The show was most likely cancelled because Will's wife and child were killed on 9/11. The next logical place for the plot to go would be for Will (and viewers) to discover who was really responsible for 9/11.
Nope, don't think the corporate interests would want the viewing public to have more reasons to doubt the "official" explanation, especially when the next season could have been airing around 9/11's 10th anniversary.
Good job AMC for inserting a "question that must be answered" in the minds of your viewers!

Posted by: ResistanceIsFertile | November 11, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. This makes me SO mad. Rubicon was such an intelligent and well-acted show. I really enjoyed it, and was hoping for more seasons. There are such few shows worth watching. And the fact that their new disgusting zombie show was picked-up is just salt on the wound (and a sign of what's wrong with American viewers.) I'm tired of programs that appeal to the lowest common denominator. (I should also note that as a 27-year-old female I fall right within their target age range.)

Badly done, AMC. Badly done.

Posted by: AlejandraRamos | November 11, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I liked Rubicon, although it took a few episodes to get going.

Fringe has jumped the shark...and I can't get into The Event (I did try).

I guess it's Cougartown from now on. :)

Oh... 46 y/o Male here.

Posted by: Bebunk | November 11, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Yeah - I am one of those useless 52 year old male viewers that they don't care about. Rubicon was must see TV for me - I thought it was incredibly well written. I agree with Bebunk that The Event just doesn't cut it. At least we can assume that Mad Men will be back for another go around.

Posted by: escharf | November 11, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

This was one of the best shows on tv. You had to pay attention and I found myself thinking about it during the week, matching up events and people. I fall into that over 50 category. I guess I really should just drop dead now. How arrogant of me to think I mattered.

Posted by: lilyredcloud | November 11, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Aren't there more than enough shows for the instant gratification generation?

I certainly agree with the above comments...AMC does not care about an older, intelligent audience. This is just more age discrimination!

There was great writing, acting, filming and thought provoking concept behind Rubicon. It was suspenseful and subtle - you had to actually pay attention, something lacking in today's television pablum.

I loved Rubicon. I hate zombies and now I hate AMC.

Posted by: cp2010 | November 12, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

I'm a 30yo female, well within AMC's target zone. This was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. I can't watch the other mindless, generic shows that have populated the media. I was a big fan of shows such as Friends, Sex and the City... very well written, smart humor, good entertainment... But this show is in a league all its own that only certain movies have ever offered. It's a thought-provoking, intriguing story, well written, well acted, and I found myself thinking about it many times between shows. My dad and I would get together and watch it every sunday evening. Apparently he falls into the "we don't care what you like" crowd. What a terrible, terrible disappointment. Such a shame, and yes, the fact that their new zombie show is doing so well is like salt on the wound. I will really miss this show, this makes me quite upset! A very bad move.

Posted by: melly_myers | November 12, 2010 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: melly_myers | November 12, 2010 1:33 AM | Report abuse

I have no idea what rubisom was,,I avoid AMC as its ruination of film with censorship,excessive commercials etc ..The zombie series is very enjoyable thanks to tivo zapping but now the latest featured mostly talk and few zombies,,those ratings will not hold with no zombie intensive content.

Posted by: gonville1 | November 15, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Just like they say at the end of Rubicon "you think anyone will give a _____" AMC big corporate TV big wigs say axe and that is what happens I will not watch any AMC programs till at least the second season to make sure I am not left out in the cold.
Plus AMC better wake up Baby Boomers 50+ is a pretty big part of the viewing public

Posted by: al627 | November 16, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse