Lisa's Favorite Sites
Posted at 10:38 AM ET, 01/19/2011

'American Idol: The Reboot' debuts tonight

By Lisa de Moraes

The new season of American Idol debuts tonight with new judges Steven Tyler and JLo, a new record-label-CEO "mentor," and an overhauled format.

New "Idol" judges Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez. (AP) Click image to see gallery.

On the eve of "Idol's" return, while Aerosmith's frontman Tyler prattled on merrily to TV critics about how hard the auditions process was for him because some wannabe Idolettes sang Aerosmith tunes badly, surviving judge Randy Jackson was hard at work trying to re-cast himself as the new Simon Cowell.

Randy snarkily told ABC late-nght host Jimmy Kimmel he thought JLo's singing voice "would definitely get a 7." That's out of a possible 10. Ouch! This surprised even cynic Kimmel -- only he thought 7 was too high. And yes, Randy did manage, in the interview, to continue riding the "I worked with Mariah Carey" gravy train. Because some things never change.

And, because it's that time of year when "American Idol" returns, it's also time to rev up WaPo Team TV's "American Idol" POLL QUESTION:

By Lisa de Moraes  | January 19, 2011; 10:38 AM ET
Categories:  "American Idol"
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Oprah Winfrey arrives in Australia, shares spotlight with adorable koalas
Next: 'American Idol' premieres: New judges, same old show

Comments

So if a decrepit coal powered Perry train laden with dangerous chemicals departs the station east bound at 4:00PM local time and a JLo train with a double-wide caboose leaves another station at the same time going westbound, how long until the entire show trainwrecks?

Posted by: ozpunk | January 19, 2011 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I hope J-Lo is being paid a million or more per episode.

I hope Randy is paying the show a million per episode.

I hope Ryan is getting a percentage of the net (there is never any net).

I hope Steven has a good time.

Mostly I hope this is idol's swan song.

Posted by: gyniahouse | January 19, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Oh good - another season of Lisa de Moron's snarkiness begins. Couldn't the Post find someone out of high school to follow this show...I get enough of my teenage daughters cynicism every day without finding it the papers.

Posted by: CenterLeft | January 19, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

CenterLeft, you would probably be more comfortable at another website if you want to read earnest recaps of AI. Most of us love Lisa's writing style and get the "joke" of how terrible Idol really is.

Posted by: LilyBell | January 19, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

While I appreciate Lisa's style and understand that she's selling something and needs to attract readers, what I do not understand is the piling on represented by some of these comments. You're selling nothing and not even using your own name so your comments avail you of nothing. It must be some thrill to see your alias online. Goodness! If you don't like the show, switch channels! It's not hard and there are lots of options. Why speak ill of something you quite clearly don't like. Others do like it and your comments insult them as well.
I like licorice. Some people don't, but I'm not going to insult their preference. It has no effect on mine, so why would I?
So why slam those who like this show?

Posted by: LoveIB | January 19, 2011 2:00 PM | Report abuse

CenterLeft might enjoy the Idol wrap-ups the day after on Tony Kornheiser's radio show, on AM 980 in DC. More his or her speed, perhaps. (I should add that I enjoy Mr. Tony's wrap-ups as well. I know I prefer Bowersox without ever having to have watched... ;^D)

Posted by: WorstSeat | January 19, 2011 2:24 PM | Report abuse

This discussion REALLY belongs on the Opera Windfree Show . . .

Posted by: rep15 | January 19, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

"... and an overhauled format. "

And that is?

Posted by: isthatallthereis | January 19, 2011 6:12 PM | Report abuse

LoveIB writes:
"Goodness! If you don't like the show, switch channels!"

Goodness! If you don't like the writeup, surf to a different page.

Posted by: niceshoes1 | January 19, 2011 11:50 PM | Report abuse