Lisa's Favorite Sites
Posted at 4:49 PM ET, 02/16/2011

[Update] Michael Vick pulls plug on Oprah interview

By Lisa de Moraes

Oprah and Piers Morgan made a bet on who could land a Michael Vick interview first. (CNN)

Two days after Oprah Winfrey won that bet she'd made with new CNN show host Piers Morgan, announcing she'd booked Michael Vick to her syndicated talk show on Thursday, Feb. 24 -- Vick pulled the plug.

"Mr. Vick's representatives called last night to cancel his appearance for personal reasons," Oprah's Harpo production house acknowledged Wednesday afternoon when called for comment.

Dear Mike Vick, sorry to hear about you cancelling Oprah. I'm here if you need me, Kind regards Piers

That's Piers tweet/gloating Wednesday upon hearing the news.

It had not been much of a surprise that Oprah had landed Vick, given that Vick himself said about a month ago he'd wager Oprah would win the bet because, he told USA Today, "I know nothing about that other guy."

And, of course, Oprah canceled the bet a few days ago, tweeting, "I'm pulling out of the bet. I don't know why I let [Piers] talk me into it. I don't gamble."

Which is odd, because when Piers offered her the bet on CNN, seen round the world, Oprah upped the pot -- to about $317. The bet was made in British currency, Piers being a Brit and all.

The next day Piers explained on why he thought Oprah canceled -- where we come from it's called welshing -- on the bet, tweeting, "Mr, Vick's people told me he couldn't do [interview] with either of us if bet remained, as he can't collude in gambling" adding "I smell a rat here."

Anyway, it all started during the debut of "Piers Morgan Tonight" on CNN last month, Piers asked Oprah what advice she'd give to Vick.

Oprah dodged the question, saying she was saving her best Vick bits for when she lands him as an interview subject for her Final Season As Queen of Daytime Talk TV. Piers, of course, is trying to book Vick too -- and the two made a bet, in re who'd land him first, at which point Oprah said, ominously:

"The way I live my life is, if it's supposed to happen, it will happen. And if Michael Vick chooses to sit with you as his first interview and not sit with e then that's the way it's supposed to be..."But don't call me later, Mike."

When Harpo announced Oprah's big "get," it promised the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback would discuss his time in the slammer after being convicted for his part in an illegal dog-fighting ring, and his subsequent return to the National Football League, among other things.

Now it appears she won't get to ask Vick about this recent encounter with a Dallas radio host who says he adopted one of Vick's former canine victims and asked Vick to comment, which did not appear to go over well with Vick or his posse:

By Lisa de Moraes  | February 16, 2011; 4:49 PM ET
Categories:  TV News
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Glee' hearts Justin Bieber: We watch so you don't have to [Updated]
Next: Lindsay Lohan: CBS confused when it said she would read Letterman's Top-10 list [updated with new video]

Comments

Won't SOMEBODY puleeeze put this brit mis-fit in a big box and send him back wherever he came from.. why anyone thinks this guy has any entertainment (or intellectual) value whatsoever merely indicates the slim pickings in the talent pool these days... admittedly, Larry King is unique on so many levels, but surely there is someone in US who could run with this job... Piers is not even close.. wayyyyy out of his depth... have I been clear enough??

Posted by: Canamjay | February 14, 2011 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Vick could borrow one of my dogs until the judge says it's okay for him to own. No one who wants and dog and will care for it should be without one.

Posted by: blasmaic | February 16, 2011 6:59 PM | Report abuse

O and the loser Brit vie for the mangey dog Vic's love...who would want to watch it or either of them anymore?
O stands for Over since the Olympic and Obama fiascos.

Posted by: dottydo | February 16, 2011 7:19 PM | Report abuse

He probably heard that she was a "dog."

Posted by: fregameeate | February 16, 2011 7:29 PM | Report abuse

he probably heard that she was a "dog."

Posted by: fregameeate | February 16, 2011 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Americans like the accent of Brits...it makes us feel "high class," Well, the good news is that as far as we know...the Vick dogs were not eaten. Food prices are goin up so , dog meat may be a winner!

Posted by: judithclaire1939 | February 16, 2011 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Just when we thought governance in Dallas had reached its nadir. Some very nice work mayor Caraway. The only key recipient more outlandish would be a death row inmate. The tourist bureau must be jumping for joy. Does the chamber of commerce know what sort of blood sports you have lined up? Wretch enabling a wretch.
Hang in there Dallas and keep flushing.

Posted by: jbksss | February 16, 2011 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Gee MIchael Vick... you lost the last game of the season and Im wondering if you're willing to undergo the same punnishment your own dogs did when they lost... do we get to slam onto concrete, electrocute you or hang you from a tree? just wondering and always sending Karma vibes that you suffer just as much as the poor dogs who trusted and depended on you did..

Posted by: drm257 | February 16, 2011 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Strawberry spring training Mikey. When it's time, it doesn't matter if you're indoors or out.I've got what you need. Fortunately, absolution is not on the list.

Posted by: jbksss | February 17, 2011 1:30 AM | Report abuse

This is a game to these people... who gets to interview this low-life piece of crap first. I'm very disappointed in Oprah (like she cares). Giving this low-life the time of day is too good for him. And now he's pulled out of the interview? Why...hey VICK, you're nothing but a coward. Only cowards pick on those weaker than they...whether it's people or animals. You're not one bit sorry for what you did...you're only sorry you got caught. Your attorneys told you what to say, but when you thought you'd be out there alone...like those dogs were...you couldn't hack it. Hey VICK, you BACKED DOWN...like the dogs you hung, electricuted, shot and tortured. Hey VICK, what do you think YOU deserve for backing out of an interview? Cowardly piece of trash...you are so hated.

Posted by: SandraML | February 17, 2011 2:45 AM | Report abuse

For once in his life, Michael Vick does something rational.

If I had a track record of wretched animal abuse, I wouldn't want to expose myself to an open-ended interview, either.

Posted by: edallan | February 17, 2011 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Michael Vick is the same old same old. . .how many goons does it take to put Michael in his Escalade! It truly is all about the money and his crew prooves it. Where would they be if he weren't paying for it? And now, Philadelphia fans, you're team is paying him $28M to be your franchise player. Did Tony Dungy advise Vick to cancel Opfra show? Maybe he should advise Vick to cut down on the "goon crew" and show just the least amount of humility! I know, it's never going to happen, because Michael is Michael.

Posted by: cdtmom | February 17, 2011 8:01 AM | Report abuse

oprah lost me for all time when she helped get the unvetted socialist obama into the White House. However, I was stunned to hear she wanted to interview vick, who so tortured and tormented helpless animals. I wish I had back every penny I ever spent on oprah magazine subscriptions and books.

Posted by: wmpowellfan | February 17, 2011 8:35 AM | Report abuse