Lisa's Favorite Sites
Posted at 6:45 PM ET, 02/22/2011

On 'The View,' Jessica Hahn compares her affair to Barbara Walters'; Walters not amused

By Lisa de Moraes

Barbara Walters was not pleased with Jessica Hahn's comment on "The View." (CBS)

*Babs Walters went mano a mano with Jessica Hahn on "The View" Tuesday.

All this week, The Ladies of 'The View' are, as a February sweep public service, attempt to answer the nagging question that is keeping you up at night: "What the heck ever happened to Amber Frey, Paula Jones, Kato Kaelin, Jessica Hahn and John Bobbitt?"

Tuesday was Jessica Hahn Day on the ABC morning gabfest. Hahn's the one who, "The View" reminded us, had a "sexual encounter" with televangelist Jim Bakker - a story that broke in the 80's.

But, during the show, when Sherri Shepherd asked Hahn about her "affair" with Bakker, Hahn took issue, noting that she had not had an affair with Bakker and "affair" is what "The View" Mother Superior had with Sen. Edward Brooke (R-Mass.) while working as a journalist at ABC News, as Babs had noted in her autobiography.

"This is about you, my dear," Babs interrupted. "This is not about me, okay?"

Hahn: "But what I want to say -- " Hahn tried to continue.

"I don't want to talk about my relationship," Babs continued to sniff indignantly. "This is about you."

Hahn: "But what I'm going to say is my situation was --- "

"And where are we now?" Babs sneered, interrupting Hahn a third time, which has gotta be some kind of record, even on "The View."

"Where we are now is that I had an encounter. It was 15 minutes in a hotel," Hahn finally managed to get in, despite Walters' indignant huffing and puffing. It seemed Hahn had won the round.

"This was consensual or non-consensual"? Elisabeth Hasselbeck asked, to keep the interview moving.

"It was not consensual," Hahn responded.

"He said it was," Babs interjected, but not with any real chirpiness.

Also: See another Jessica Hahn TV appearance as she takes on Joan Rivers in 1992:

By Lisa de Moraes  | February 22, 2011; 6:45 PM ET
Categories:  TV News
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Glee' promises original tunes -- just not tonight
Next: NBC renews 'Biggest Loser,' 'Sing-Off' and 'Who Do You Think You Are'

Comments

Well that ought to be interesting. The View women often take offense to things their guests say, while displaying overt hostility and contempt to guests they don't like. They can dish it out, but can't take it from anyone, including each other. I find them annoying for the most part, but ocassionally they manage to entertain. I much prefer Hoda and Kathy Lee; those are my girls!!!!

Posted by: shelley514 | February 22, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

To Barbara I say, live by the sword, die by the sword.

If you want you ostracize women for their affairs, get ready to be ostracized yourself.

Posted by: FormerDemocrat | February 22, 2011 3:15 PM | Report abuse

meow!

Posted by: ajlerner1 | February 22, 2011 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Double-standard-Barbara. Yes, we know who you are, so?

Posted by: jckdoors | February 22, 2011 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Get out! BABA WAWA is still alive? She's gotta be 100!

Posted by: NICKYNUNYA | February 22, 2011 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Oops, now I get it. H has been show with a panel of has beens.

Posted by: NICKYNUNYA | February 22, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Kato Kaelin in NCISLA nowadays? It's like he hasn't aged at all.

Posted by: beetsnotbeats | February 22, 2011 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Jessica Hahn? Like, from 2000 B.C.?

Posted by: hogsmile | February 22, 2011 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Barbara Walters can have sex? Like a human? Wow.

Posted by: Cornell1984 | February 22, 2011 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Back in the day Jessica Hahn was pretty fine...Barbara Walters not so much.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | February 22, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

They need a man on The View. Here's how it would work out ... Q.) Dear Adam, My name is Jessica. I'm 52 and a former model. I was driving to work when my car's battery dies. Since I was close to home I walked back home. Something seemed wrong so I looked in the window and saw my husband making the love to our neighbor, Barbara. He's been unemployed for 6 months and has low self esteem but, after this, I just don't think I can trust him anymore. What do I do??? A.) To fix a dead battery, disconnect the negative cable first, then ...

Posted by: pejochum | February 22, 2011 4:47 PM | Report abuse

An affair is an affair.

Just like "sin is sin".

Shame on The View ladies.

Posted by: rlj611 | February 22, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

If I remember it correctly, Jessica Hahn claimed she was sexually assaulted - it was by no means an affair. I would be insulted, too.

Posted by: ounanm1 | February 22, 2011 6:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't give a flying flip about the View but I noticed all these headlines that said Barbara Walters put Hahn in her place, it was a B Walters smackdown, etc.
Glad Lisa Moraes got it right, Hahn's the one who put Walters in her place.
(That plastic surgery is horrific.)

Posted by: kls1 | February 22, 2011 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Joan Rivers has some nerve. And I don't appreciate Jennifer Aniston's talent. I see Aniston as being overrated, but Joan Rivers discussing Aniston's appearance as if to enter Aniston into the plastic surgery debate is beyond terrible. I often think Joan Rivers will be Donald Trump's distraction if Trump decides to run for President of the United States. She is that dangerous to any professional she comes in contact with. How many opportunities has she blown for no reason than her own insanity, which increases with age?

Thomas Chi