Republicans Press Warner on Taxes

Tim Craig

The National Republican Senatorial Committee isn't wasting any time going after Democratic senatorial candidate Mark R. Warner, who was governor between 2002 and 2006..

Even though the 2008 election is more than 13 months away, the RNSCC sent out a statement today challenging Warner to tell voters why he broke his 2001 campaign pledge not to raise state taxes.

According to the NRSC, Warner was quoted in the Richmond Times Dispatch during his 2001 campaign for governor as saying, "I will not raise taxes. I will not raise taxes. I will not raise taxes."

But Warner pushed for a $1.4 billion tax increase in 2004 to help close a budget shortfall.

Last week, the NRSC posted a video at www.dontmarkwarner.com that mocks Warner for raising taxes. The ad is designed to highlight what GOP officials say is Warner's trail of "broken promises."

"If Mark Warner is so anxious to talk about his record, here's a great starting point for him," Rebecca Fisher, a NRSC spokeswoman, said in the release. "Why did Mark Warner raise taxes?"

Warner spokeswoman Monica Dixon said voters will reject the Republicans' negative tactics. "He's been a candidate for a week and they have already launched the first negative ad of the campaign," Dixon said. "Is there a better example of why we need change in Washington?"

By Tim Craig  |  September 24, 2007; 1:53 PM ET
Categories:  Election 2008/U.S. Senate , Mark Warner , Tim Craig
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New Loudoun PAC
Next: Immigration Showdown Likely

Comments

If the current political season has taught us anyhing, it's that Northern Virginia voters don't care about taxes.

Connolly & his crowd has doubled my property taxes, but high taxes is not an issue. People simply don't care. It's a non-issue.

Posted by: Not an issue | September 24, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I want my taxes raised more

Posted by: rufus | September 25, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

The question should really be why did he have to do in the first place - Hum "$1.4 billion tax increase in 2004 to help close a budget shortfall." Who created the shortfall to begin with A REPUBLCAN MISS MANAGER" Jim Gilmore the idiot.

Posted by: Elly | September 27, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I honestly didn't mind taxes being raised in that instance. He was trying to confront a problem, and he did so brilliantly. I would be honored to have such a responsible and skilled candidate like Mark Warner as our Senator, though I was hoping he might become Vice President.

Posted by: David | September 30, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

It is very interesting to read all of the idol threats towards others with different opinions. From the web page, that you all so dearly claim as mudslinging/swift boat/smear tactics, I found are merely factual statements. I did not read anywhere that someone's opinion was "Warner" is a ____ because of ____. To this I must inquire, do you answer your boss, significant other, or family in the same manner?
Pretense based childish arguments and pout fest do nothing but upset and enrage the listener. You have made no headway in convincing me or anyone else that Warner is better. Please state something that FACTUALLY is not accurate with the ads. Not speculation on why in the fourth year of a term there was a tax increase of 1.4 billion. The reason was a "math error", ladies and gentlemen please. With the power of elected officials to grossly effect everyone's daily life, there can be no error on black and white issues such as budgets. Some professions you tolerate mistakes, others are not so lenient. Hence why the president is not very popular.
Perhaps the issue of "someone else should take care of it" and "its not my fault" mentality has overcome the commonsense that was prevalent in life.
I am glad you all are strong in your convictions however the only factual account of reprise is that Warner had a higher approval rating than Gilmore. Gilmore had a high Job approval rating but cumulatively his approval ratings were lower than Warner. Okay...
All I know is big government does nothing for me but spend my hard earned money nor do I care to employ someone who is a documented liar. If you compare the track record of the two you may find that you agree with more things that Gilmore accomplished than you originally thought. Will it persuade you to "jump ship" and vote Republican, probably not.
Government should work on facts not "he said she said" monologues and opinion based rhetoric. Remove your EMOTION from the equation and apply commonsense, please.

Too bad there is not a better candidate then either one.

Posted by: Matt, Virginia Becah, VA | November 19, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

auto insurance number phone usaa Stump up

Posted by: BRUTUS | November 19, 2007 8:13 PM | Report abuse

car donation irs Third time lucky

Posted by: JACKSON | November 19, 2007 10:57 PM | Report abuse

mortgage calculator refinance breakeven Call a spade a spade

Posted by: ADDISON | November 20, 2007 1:57 AM | Report abuse

insurance adjuster resume sample Katy bar the door

Posted by: BLAINE | November 20, 2007 7:53 AM | Report abuse

wanghvlps uhkyic lxvfzp mbnp ficwrqx fgktl gqyfvo

Posted by: isfau tfkmvirpe | January 4, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

dshka zvqp ygufzwko wdjnpybq dsrylzwf vgmqinly jtpoev http://www.rzstm.wynh.com

Posted by: ajwxieyt xacofigwn | January 4, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse