Mayor Bloomberg to Endorse Sen. Davis

Anita Kumar

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg will make a stop in Northern Virginia tomorrow to endorse state Sen. Jeannemarie Devolites Davis (R-Fairfax) in her tight race against Democrat Chapman "Chap" Petersen in the 34th District.

We're told Bloomberg, an independent who at one time was rumored to be interested in running for president in 2008, will mentioned Davis' "independence and courage" and her support of legislation to keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

Earlier this year, Bloomberg got into a high-profile dispute with Attorney General Robert F. McDonnell and several other Virginia Republicans when he alleged that illegal gun sales in Virginia contribute to crime in his city. McDonnell warned New York to stop sending private agents into Virginia to look for illegal gun sales, saying that the agents could face legal action.

The Bloomberg endorsement will take place near Dulles International Airport tomorrow, less than a week before Tuesday's election.

By Anita Kumar  |  October 31, 2007; 2:17 PM ET
Categories:  Anita Kumar , Election 2007 , General Assembly 2008
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jost Picks Up Support in 1st District Bid
Next: Did Herrity's Dad Make Developers Jump?

Comments

Bloomberg is just riding the wave and doing what most of the people in Fairfax will do on election day. Peterson does not make sense in the way he defines issues.

Posted by: Davis will win | October 31, 2007 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Every one of my neighbors can't stand Devolites.

Who says this race is tight and who cares what the Mayor of New York things?

Posted by: Save Vienna | October 31, 2007 11:40 PM | Report abuse

I meant to write "Who cares what the Mayor of New York thinKs."

Posted by: Save Vienna | October 31, 2007 11:41 PM | Report abuse

I was a bit confused before, but not that a NY CITY MAYOR is becoming involved, I know how I need to vote.

I have NO desire to have NY CITY impress their values on ME, and my county, and state!

Posted by: G. Whotzie | November 1, 2007 1:22 AM | Report abuse

More than ten years later, I still beg Virginians to forgive me for helping JD get elected. It's appalling how she lied her way into elective office and then added liberal corruption and obscenity to Virginia's General Assembly. The details of her marriage to Tom Davis is a perfect example.

It would be better to have a real Democrat in this senate seat instead of a pretend Democrat.

Posted by: Remorseful | November 1, 2007 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Bloomberg is one of the richest men in America. His Bloomberg terminals are in every investment house in Virginia and the United states. This didn't happen because he is stupid. The brightest people pic k the best brains. Davis was smart to pick Bloomberg's.

Posted by: Bloomberg is smart. | November 1, 2007 4:03 AM | Report abuse

J D-D (or DD as I like to call her) is going down in FLAMES! I just hope hizhonna the mayor goes with her. I have never voted for a Democrat before, but I have donated to Chap's campain. GO CHAP! In most of Virginia we do not elect Democrats - we unseat RHINOs! Bye bye DD!

Posted by: Pourshot | November 1, 2007 4:48 AM | Report abuse

This week's mail brought two quality endorsements for Chap! that I will frame and keep. One was from Jim Webb, explaining that Chap was one of the first to support him in his race for US Senator. The other mail piece was a 9x12 picture of Warner and Chap! together, grining from ear to ear.

These three men, plus Tim Kane, are my political heros. They are strong, they are open and they are decent. My kind of Virginians, and yes, I do live in the 34th District. Been here since '81. Native born Virginian..... going on 69 years now.

BTW this blog is the best, I come here every day.

Posted by: Vintage Lady | November 1, 2007 9:00 AM | Report abuse

She must be desperate to think that a law breaking "carpet-bagger" will help her.

Posted by: Marvin | November 1, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Will Bloomberg mention Devolites-Davis' hypocrisy in criticizing Peterson's votes on guns, including HB 2535 when, oddly enough, Devolites-Davis voted for the Senate version of the same bill? Devolites-Davis' desperation is demonstrated by her false campaign and by her bringing in a carpetbagger from New York.

Posted by: Chuck | November 2, 2007 8:39 AM | Report abuse