Frederick Wins Party Chairmanship

Anita Kumar

Jeffrey Frederick, a conservative state delegate from Prince William, was elected chairman of the Republican Party of Virginia today at the state convention, defeating incument John H. Hager.

The vote tally was not announced this afternoon. Instead, Hager asked that Frederick be elected by acclamation after it became evident the incumbent had lost.

"The Republican Party is strong in many places around our great Virginia, but statewide we've got some issues," Frederick said.

Frederick, 32, is the party's fifth chairman in five years. The selection indicates party activists are trying to move toward to a younger, more energetic leader who hopes to make up for recent losses the party has suffered in recent years in statewide and legislative races.

Frederick has said he would not run for re-election if he won the chairman's job. House Minority Leader Ward L. Armstrong (D-Henry) said after the vote that Frederick's seat has trended Democratic in recent years, and that his party hopes to pick it up in the 2009 election.

"We congratulate Jeff Frederick for his victory, and wish him luck in presiding over his greatly fractured party," said state Democratic Party executive director Levar Stoney. "Virginia Republicans now have a far-right chairman to match their far-right candidates. I like our odds."

By Anita Kumar  |  May 31, 2008; 5:15 PM ET
Categories:  Anita Kumar , General Assembly 2008 , Prince William
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gilmore Wins GOP Nomination
Next: The Fallout from Frederick's Win

Comments

A new direction or a party in complete disarray?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 31, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

It was a nasty, nasty battle. This is good for the Democrats.

Posted by: ajlerner1 | May 31, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Kumar,
Honestly, you just couldn't bring yourself to write a 200 word article about the Virginia State Republican Convention without dedicating over 40% of it to gratuitous bashing by the Democrats? How lame is that!

Posted by: Janusziewicz | May 31, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

The Republicans in the State legislature are in favor of beer while driving but opposed to red light cameras designed to save lives.
No wonder they are are the ropes.

Posted by: Jerry | May 31, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Del. Frederick. I was there and it was an amazing process. Frederick won my delegation including me.

This is what the GOP needs: new and dynamic leadership committed to core conservative principles that are able to win in areas all over Virginia including Northern Virginia.

Del. Frederick won his Democratic-leaning district last year with 59% of the vote.

I am glad to have him as a our new chairman.

Posted by: Patrick Washington | May 31, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

How can posters post at 6:09, 6:38 and 6:39 when it is only 6:08?

Posted by: ajlerner1 | May 31, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Jeff Frederick. Good to hear he won't run for Delegate again.

Posted by: A Montclairion | May 31, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Nasty battles like this is why Webb didn't win in 2006.

Posted by: Matt | May 31, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Lazy reporting. You have a wedding or something this weekend?

Posted by: RICK | June 1, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Rick, lower your standards, this is the Washington Post.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 1, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand how Republicans could possibly think that Frederick will help them win Northern VA. Someone who hyper-focuses on outlawing abortion and gay marriage while encouraging the proliferation of guns isn't going to get much traction up here while we are all stuck in traffic.

Frederick is opposed to ANY new revenue for transportation. If he and his party regain control in Richmond, traffic will NEVER get fixed. But, we'll be safe from gay people. That is the trade-off Republicans offer these days.

Posted by: Ind Voter | June 2, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Ind Voter, you've had a lot of fags shooting at you recently?

Posted by: NoVA | June 2, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

yeah I was driving around dupont with "closed for remodeling" painted on my ass

Posted by: Ind Voter | June 2, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I mean riding my bike, oopsy

Posted by: Ind Voter | June 2, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Some of you folks might be a bit too thick to understand such esoteric concepts as sarcasm.

People like Frederick want to save the world from gay people and abortion. As such, candidates like him will continue to lose in Northern VA where people are stuck in traffic, which is a problem that requires a lot of money to fix.

Did I use too many big words for you NoVA? I'm sorry, but I can't post pictures.

Posted by: Ind Voter | June 3, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Good thing you can't post pictures, wouldn't want to have to see a picture of your sorry ass, I might vomit and short out my computer

Posted by: Dave | June 3, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

When I am president, I will help you abort your gay child.

-Your Messiah