More Than 1,000 Attend Obama Fundraiser

Anita Kumar

About 1,200 people attended a fundraiser for Democratic Sen. Barack Obama last night in downtown Norfolk at the elegant Harrison Opera House adorned with glittering chandeliers and sweeping staircases.

The headliner, Michelle Obama, described the November presidential election between her husband and Republican Sen. John McCain as a decision between "the world as it is and the world as it should be."

"Our job as Americans is to narrow the gap between those two ideas," she said. "Do we settle for the world as it is or fight for the world as it should be?"

The fundraiser was hosted by Gov. Timothy M. Kaine and his wife, Anne Holton, who are on a family vacation with their children this week in nearby Virginia Beach. Kaine's apperance fueled further speculation about his vice presidential chances.

In her 20-minute speech, Michelle Obama said that supporters need to urge friends and neighbors to register and vote because the election would probably be won by a slim margin.

"Barack can't win without your support," Michelle Obama said. "This is going to be a close election and that's why we can leave anything to chance."

Tickets for the fundraiser, which featured music by Bruce Hornsby, cost $100 per person and $50 for students. Obama's campaign declined to release how much money was raised.

By Anita Kumar  |  August 7, 2008; 9:30 AM ET
Categories:  Anita Kumar , Barack Obama , Election 2008/President , Timothy M. Kaine
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kaine Appears on CNN for Obama
Next: DNC Targets Cantor and Other Possible VPs

Comments

McCain is righ, Obama is a star!! There are many americans like my self that feel like neither of these two are really fit to be president. But yet we are stuck with these two as our presumptive nominees. McCain seems to be slipping a little in his old age with one Gaff after another, even suggesting that his wife be in a biker beauty pagent, Which are topless. Dont believe me go see the video at http://www.mccanes.com they have the video of him knocking stuff off the shelf at the grocery store, videos of him losing his temper. Then there is Obama, He doesnt Gaff quite as much as McCain but he has his share. But its not his Gaffs that are scary but his real moments., LIke the moment of him rapping?? A president busting a rap? what?? If older people seen this they would never vote for him. They have the video of this at http://www.mesocash.com , Now they are starting to float around t boone pickens plan, which is at least an actual plan. The rumor is that Obama is thinking about endorsing it. they have an article at http://www.tboonpickens.com They would be an improvement over the candidates flimsy energy plans. I am hoping that I have a third choice in november. I just am having a really hard time figuring which one these two will do the least amount of damage to our country.

Posted by: Peter | August 7, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

The link to TBoone Pickens's energy plan is fake...here is the correct one.

Posted by: Justin | August 7, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Hey Peter, as you called yourself, go have some fun in life, than having these "NIGGIES", like an old worned-out warrior.

Posted by: rajah kahn | August 7, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Peter: To me, the choice is between smart and dumb. I'm up to here with the "dumb" we've had for eight years. Our country deserves better. I feel it will take a person like Obama to bring us together.

Posted by: ericmiami | August 7, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I guess after reading this article, I had better run to my car and inflate the tires so I can save enough to go to dinners like this. ROFL!

Posted by: Lee | August 7, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

ericmiami,

I do hope when you say the "dumb" we've had for the last eight years you include the dumb in the democratic controlled congress that actually has more say in our lives than the executive branch of government.

Posted by: brerkev | August 7, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I am sure Obama can relate to the economic difficulties millions of Americans are currently facing, what with him ensconced in opera houses adorned with glittering chandeliers and sweeping staircases, surrounded by his fawning worshipers.

Posted by: Justin | August 7, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

The "dumb" is obviously the Prez. But you can't put it all on the Democratic controlled Congress, don't forget it was Republican controlled for the first 6 yrs of Bush administration. And since the Dems barely have a majority, it isn't as strong as the Replican Congress was when they sent us to fight a needless war. Which GW lied about.

Posted by: htown | August 7, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

If you do not vote for the most qualified person to run for President in a long time, what you will be effectively doing is cutting off your nose to spite your face. Forget about emotions and make the logical brain influenced pick Would you choose a 72 year old person over a 47 year old person to drive your kids to school, do your taxes, handle your investments, do open heart surgery on you....If yes vote for MCcain..nothing against age..just ability to perform..its the past versus the present. You choose. I am 68

Posted by: John | August 7, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

htown : The dems did enough damage in their two years to make up for lost time. Look at the mess Palosi & her followers left when they closed congress down so they get fly off on their much needed 5 week vacation (on our dime)and not settle the vote to resume off-shore drilling which over 70% of Americans favor to do.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

John just made an excellent point and to the moron that stated congress has been controlled by the Dems for eight years; you can't count.."brerkev" ..where have you been??this country has gotten worse over the last eight or have you noticed what's happening to you or your fellow American...imbecile

Posted by: MR.Truth | August 7, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

John, if your point is "don't listen to old people," what value does it have coming from someone who is only 4 years from being as old as McCain is? I am only 23, I imagine you are retired, and if so, receiving social security benefits. At this point in my life, and probably in the lives of anyone who is under the age of 50, I would say that you are not a big supporter of having to pay for people who are not being productive. If Obama is elected, and increases the FICA tax rate, that will hurt more than it helps. Businesses have to match FICA, so that will increase their costs reducing profit and hurting the economy, people will have less money to spend which will lead to a decrease in consumption (major factor in GDP), etc. I dont think that McCain or Obama is the best choice, I think Bob Barr is the closest thing to a Conservative candidate in the current election, and I may vote for him.

I also dont want to hear people yelling that a vote for anyone but McCain is a vote for Obama, I am tired of seeing elections where the choice is between the "lesser of two evils." Look at the candidates and decide who shares your values and vote FOR someone, not against the other guy.

Posted by: Barry | August 7, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to vote for the guy that knows how to use e-mail. Can't believe someone that doesn't, could relate to today's global, complex world.

Posted by: SAM | August 7, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

MR.Truth: Hey dope - read the post next time - I never said the dems had the control for the eight years

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I am not sure about McCain... John McCain abandoned his first wife. He threwwww her under the bus because she was hurt in a car accident.

Posted by: Jay | August 7, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

The Daily Mail is a sensationalist British tabloid akin to the National Enquirer, and is not a credible source of news.

Posted by: James | August 7, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

The Dems may have controlled the house for 2 years, but they don't control the Senate that requires 60 votes. 60 votes to cut off debate and push a vote. Until the Dems have 60 votes in the Senate they don't control congress. And with Bush as the President the congress has almost no ability to do anything he doesn't want them to do.

Posted by: ShawnA | August 7, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

as far as McCain's first wife, would the LA Times be a better source? http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-divorce11-2008jul11,0,6546861.story

The man has lost his honor. He lies, can't remember (or lies) about things he said days before, kissed up to all of the people he once despised, and has no plan for our country. He says maybe he will raise SS taxes, then says the won't, he says says the Bush tax cuts were bad, and now says they are good, and on and on.
How will he vote on the compromise energy bill before the Congress? Obama supports it, as do the 5 Republicans and 5 Democrats who proposed it.

Posted by: Robyn White | August 7, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I would not trust obama as far as I could throw him! I shudder to think what could happen to the USA if this individual is elected!!

Posted by: ralph r | August 7, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

51-49 is democratic "controlled"? Please.

Posted by: Hillary | August 7, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

If you prioritize your racist bigotry, religion, or partisan royalty over our nation's fate, it should be your choice and therefore you alone should suffer from the consequences. Unfortunately, however, we all will suffer the same way we have done under the Bush administration should McSomething be elected.
If McIdonotknow gets elected, our economy worsens, and war debt increases , how about a tax exemption for those who voted for Obama?

Posted by: Mia | August 7, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Obama is a typical left wing opportunist. They love to pretend they are movie stars and say all the things they think people want to hear. And like movie stars Obama is very adept at lieing, even to himself.

A light that burns as bright as his can't be maintained though. He is already fading as people start to wake up from the kool-aid buzz. The hangover is going to be nasty.

It's too bad the democratic party was hijacked by extremists because now they are going to lose the election. Hillary would have won by a landslide.

Posted by: Hillary2012 | August 7, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

"because now they are going to lose the election"-?

If you haven't noticed, Obama is doing rather well in the polls.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

If by up by 1 point is doing rather well in the polls...

Posted by: Barry | August 7, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

If you are voting for Obama because of his war policy or social issues I can respect that. It is sheer lunacy however, to vote for Obama because of the economy. We have been experiencing one of the most unprecedented periods of prosperity in our nation's history. Even the current credit/housing and energy crises have failed to induce one quarter of recession, and these crises were certainly not Bush's fault. Obama's plans to raise taxes and curtail free trade among other things will not only depress the US economy but that of all industrialized nations worldwide. To say otherwise is to fail to have even a basic understanding of economics.

Posted by: George | August 7, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: yossi israel | August 7, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Ummm... the boone plan doesn't seem particularly special to me. He, Obama, and McCain are all saying the same thing. Reduce foreign oil dependence by investing in renewable and homegrown energy sources.

McCain (I hope) is lying when he says he want to build nuclear plant right now. They waste is toxic and we can't dispose of it. That would be way too irresponsible.

Obama knows (or at least he should) that offshore drilling isn't going to solve any of our problems.

Both politicians are pitching "hope" to a problem that is filled with gloom. Americans aren't going to reduce their energy consumption by more than 5%(you know it, I know it). The only hope is to invest in science and pray that we can inovate our way out.

Both politicians know this. I at least give Obama credit because he spoke about 150+ mpg cars as a research breakthrough that needs to happen in America.

Posted by: Chris Stewart | August 7, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sweet sam | August 7, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Kaine would be an excellent VP but probably not the best running mate, but if Obama picks him it will be clear he really is going all out for change...i.e. not picking some guy or gal to make people more comfy.

Posted by: tired critique | August 7, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

George, your assesment is correct in terms of the Macro economy. But with the economic growth (which of late has been fueled more by efficiency than innovation), many people are losing. That is, more efficient business-- like outsourcing-- causes people to lose jobs or to be worth less.

Obama's economic policies would redistribute wealth, and for that reason someone can vote for Obama based on the economy.

Also, you said that Bush had nothing to do with the credit crisis. What about the Bankruptcy reform package that he and Dick Cheney pushed through the Senate? It allowed lenders to take more risks by putting more financial burden on consumers.

Posted by: Chris Stewart | August 7, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Until this week I thought the Dems were going to run away with it like the Rebus did in 94. Now for the first time I think McCain has a legitimate shot at this. I don't dislike Obama( and we should set a standard that you don't need to hate the opponent to decide). I just think he is too far left and not ready yet for prime time. McCain is a known I know who he is , I don't know Obama and his reluctance to expose himself to the press makes me uneasy.

Posted by: Denfenster | August 7, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Bush most go down as the weakest President ever, if the Democrats controlled congress even though they only held a majority, a very slim one at that, for two (2) years out of eight (8). Grow a set and admit you screwed up voting for Bush twice. Heck if you didn't like Gore or Kerry there were better Republican canidates in 2000. McCain was younger and got my vote back then. To bad he has gone to the Dark (Rove) side now. Obama 08!

Posted by: Nick | August 7, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

we've been waiting since slavery**** and now he's here ***a true one ***better than all the rest. you killed two***(lincoln and kennedy) but we will be at rest with the best. only one thing that stands in our way is racism. america was founded ,mostly prospered on *** greedy slavedriving giggots .but most inventions didnt accur until the brother became free***so sit back***and rest your selfish attitude and let the brother invent something for your racist a**.

Posted by: sweet sam | August 7, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait....Obama is going to rule. I cried when GW won the first time. I thought that I would never vote again. I can't wait. Finally my voice may be heard. Obama is great for change, great for the economy, great for this country and will be a breathe of fresh air. My grandchildren's future will certainly benefit from Mr. Obama being elected.

Posted by: pentagongirl | August 7, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

George,
I might not have a basic understanding of economy, so I want you to explain the following questions to me.
Why has the real wage adjusted to the inflation steadily decreased for the past three decades?
Why did FDR have to initiate the New Deal after the Great Depression?
Do you believe in numbers, like GDP or GNP?
Do you think Multinational Corporation's profits are transferred to ordinary people in the US? MNCs are not necessarily nationalists. Their dubious national alegiance is now common sense, I hope.
Thank you in advance for your enlightenment.

Posted by: Mia | August 7, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm not really sure what the argument is about.

According to the Republicans George Bush isn't responsible for anything bad that has happened in the U.S. Apparently He's Not responsible for 9-11. Not responsible for the terrible economy, not responsible for an illegal war, not responsible for yet another Bush Administration banking scandal - (coincidence?). Not responsible for skyrocketing gas prices. Nope, none of that is his fault - the president isn't responsible for any of it. He just happens to be president - that's all.

McCain is just more of the same Bush mentality. No responsibility. So don't vote for him. McCain won't be responsible either. So republicans shouldn't really care who is President. Apparently they don't have any responsibility anyway.

Posted by: George | August 7, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

*******taught congressional law **well--inexperianced well*** so bush was exp.ooooooooooo-mccain is exp.? in what? revenge?---could bush speak to the nations**hell no,could mccain?***hell no!!! the whole world loves obama(go)obama!!!***a dog knows bitter biggots.

Posted by: sweeter sam | August 7, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

pentagongirl***ilove you ***lets get married when obama get elected****pentagongirl girl***ohmy sweet pentagongirl****we will have a baby when obama gets married***

Posted by: sweet sam | August 7, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Well, Sam, at least if Obama is elected you will be able to get a free education so that you can be taught how to speak and write Spanish, because as anyone who is reading your comments can see, your English is atrocious

Posted by: Barry | August 7, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Our economy operated under the Neocon, or Neoliberalism ideology initiated by Reaganism is failing. They gave the foremost priority to the financial market, which is making huge profit for themselves but devastating ordinary people.
It is time for Republicans to admit their or their economic ideological failure and to let Dems to solve the problem.
Since Capitalism is cyclical, I am sure Reps will come up with a new idea few decades later.

Posted by: Mia | August 7, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Mia, you have to credit people for their own irresponsibility taking loans they could not afford. The banks that made the loans deserve to fail, but so do the fools who borrowed $500,000 on a 5 figure salary.

Posted by: Barry | August 7, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

barry ***barrycrap***you're way off the mark

Posted by: ham | August 7, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Obama = "the world as it should be"...what a pompous ass!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I'll have to disagree there, my friend, I am a well informed individual and that is very much the case.

Posted by: Barry | August 7, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Note: my previous comment was to "ham" not anon.

Posted by: Barry | August 7, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Barack Obama will shine light on the darkness - nothing stays the same -- the pendelum has swung far, far right. It is a universal law that it must return and swing left and, if we are to survive as a people, it must rest in the center.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Hillary, no wonder you lost the primaries by not being able to count. There are 49 Republicans in the Senate and 49 Democrats.

Posted by: Vienna | August 7, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I have heard a lot of back and forth on these postings about who is to blame for the country's current situation. Does "the buck" stop at the President? Is it the Republican controlled congress in the first 6 years of the Bush admin.'s fault? I believe the Republicans were in control for a number of years prior to that as well during Clinton's tenure as well (Contract for America). Is it the Dems. who are at fault for the past two years of non-action? They were supposedly given a mandate by the people to hold "W" accountable, and it may have gotten a little better, but let's highlite the "little". I believe like many other Americans that the Republicans have gotten their chance, and they blew it. The Contract for America had some very good ideas, and was a solid plan, but the wind has gone out of the Republican sails, and we are not left with much now. The Dems don't seem to have much of a coherent plan, but they are something different, and I like many other Americans, am willing to take a chance on something different. I hope that the Dems win the House back, the 60 votes in the Senate, and the Presidency. I raise this hope, simply because I want somebody else to tackle our country's issues that the current government's situation seems incapable of doing. To be honest, I believe the Dems will probably fail, because I don't see much of a plan, but at least it might be an attempt to do something...anything! You may judge me to be to cynical, and you are probably right, but let's give the Dems their shot, unhindered, and see what happens. Our country can't get any more screwed up than it has in the past eight years....I hope.

Posted by: Frank | August 7, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

The Democrats don't want a convention, they want an innauguration. Just picture it; Obama ascending the mile-high Mount and delivering his Sermon. He then plans to bless the loaves and fishes to distribute to the crowd. There will be photo ops and sound bites galore with thousands of Obamabots chanting "yes we can". The only thing standing in the way of this "perfect" world is a little thing called "democracy".

Posted by: Lynn | August 8, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

It seems that all Obama does is pose for photos and attend fundraisers: Money and Fame for Obama.

We need a man who is qualified to be president of the USA and leader of the free world, not someone who is running to be an egomaniac celebrity.

When is Obama going to actually accomplish something and build on his weak resume...and weak character?

Just Say No Deal
Puma Pac
The Denver Group
Real Democrats

P.U.M.A.

Posted by: kat in your hat PUMA | August 8, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps we should give a woman of integrity a better look. Hillary is still the one to beat McCain. Hillary has already been vetted and she has a 35 year background in public service. It's not to late too get a democrat in the White House! Hillary for President: because she can win and Obama can't!

P.U.M.A.

Posted by: kat in your hat PUMA | August 8, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Paraphrasing one of the favorite Feminist sayings (What is that you don't understand about, No! ?")

PUMAs - What is it that you don't understand about, She Lost! ?

As Marion Barry said, "Get over it!" No matter how much you complain, the outcome isn't going to change.

Posted by: NoVA | August 8, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse