McCain Gets Support from Va Democrats

Anita Kumar

Republican John McCain's presidential campaign today announced the Virginia Citizens for McCain, a coalition of Democrats and independents who support the Arizona senator for president.

Christy Swanson, the group's vice chairwoman and a small business owner in Richmond, has been asked to speak at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minn. next week.

"John McCain has always put his country first, above himself and above politics," said Swanson, a self-described Democrat. "He is a proven leader with the experience to lead as commander in chief from day one. John McCain's economic policies show an inherent understanding of the needs of small business owners nationwide. His 'all of the above' approach to the energy crisis is exactly what we need to obtain energy security. I will proudly campaign, and cast my vote, for John McCain."

The group's chairman, Rick Gray, served as secretary of the Commonwealth under former governor John Dalton and has actively campaigned for Democrats, including former presidential candidate Howard Dean.

A full list of Virginia Citizens for McCain officers is listed below

Richard Roth, Annandale
Francine Sitcoske, Falls Church
Cecil Solomon, Fairfax
Jackie Solomon, Fairfax

By Anita Kumar  |  August 27, 2008; 2:41 PM ET
Categories:  Anita Kumar , Election 2008/President , John McCain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McAuliffe Considering 09 Bid for Governor
Next: Feder on TV

Comments

I know these people. They're all fruitcakes.

Posted by: Real Dem | August 27, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Delores Denny's husband, Doug, run for congress in Fairfax as a democrat? So she's a republican? I thought someone said Denny claimed to have worked for McCain.

This is just like that republican candidate Charlie Hall running in the democratic primary.

I guess we should not be surprised to see Lieberman as McCain's running mate. People will pretend to be someone else just to try to get elected and have power.

Posted by: Doug Denny? | August 27, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

That was Doug Denneny

Posted by: Mt. Vernon Dem | August 28, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

None of the listed folks are democrats. puleasse.... as they are republicans, feel free not to believe anything they say

Posted by: Alexandrian | August 28, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I am an Arlington resident, life long Democrat, and I will be voting for JOHN McCAIN. The problem with the Obama / Biden ticket is that it should be the Biden/Obama ticket. Then, I would vote Democratic. John McCain has led bipartisan efforts on the nation's behalf for 27 years - how many bipartisan efforts has Obama led? ZERO

Posted by: Robert McDermott | August 28, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Robert McDermott "lifelong Democrat":

POW McCain's rating among Disabled American Vets is 32%. Obama's is 73%. Obama has led successful bi-partisan efforts for ethics reform and for nuclear non-proliferation. Obama is a visionary and a very gifted leader. John Kennedy and Bill Clinton were both younger presidential candidates for whom experience was made an issue by their opponents. Obama's management of his campaign victory over the Clintons was impressive. And, his judgement to select Joe Biden is vastly superior to McCain's selection of Sarah Palin. McCain has shown that he can't stand up to the Party ideologues: Rove, Reed, and the rest. Do you want them still pulling the strings? Are you really a Democrat? I seriously doubt it. No Democrat their right mind would be supporting the current version of John McCain!

Posted by: Deborah | August 31, 2008 1:29 AM | Report abuse

I Voted for Carter president, Wilder Va Govenor. George sr. George jr. and today made contributions to John Mccain, Jim Gilmore, Thelma Drake and Elizabeth Dole. I was able to put my money where my mouth is because I am a conserative and believe in its principles. McCain is the man we need and I personally think his pick for VP is Great. Thank you Fred T. Gray for your Commitment to THE "PEOPLE" OF VIRGINIA

Posted by: Reginald Bradshaw | August 31, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey Deborah, I know Robert McDermott. I have no doubt that he is a lifelong Democrat, even if he doesn't live up to your criteria. I think that he, like lots of other people, is not yet convinced by Obama. I, for one, think Obama is very bright and has the right temperament for the job, but I'm concerned that he has seemed so reluctant to make waves with people and groups that can advance his standing. He didn't take a stand against the railings of his pastor until the glare of the media forced him to do so. And I don't think he has ever taken on his party in any way. Finally, I think he has been coasting on charisma since his great speech to the Democratic convention in 2004. I would very much like to vote FOR him, but he seems overly reluctant right now to describe where he wants to take the country except in the same kind of slogans and platitudes that every Democrat running for office has uttered throughout my lifetime of 54 years. I'm really hoping that he speaks clearly in the upcoming debates. I need him to do so if I'm going to vote for him.

Posted by: Mike Cregge | September 1, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse