From the Floor: Midwest Charm

Kate Maxwell

Kate Maxwell is a Virginia delegate to the Republican National Convention who will be blogging from Minneapolis-St. Paul for Virginia Politics. She is from Midlothian in Chesterfield County.

Today the floor session doesn't begin until 6 p.m., so we are having a chance to see some of Minneapolis and St. Paul...which, since I'm 20, pretty much just means the Mall of America.

I've really been struck by how gracious the cities have been to us. Whether or not I'm wearing my credentials or the McCain-Palin gear I've been collecting, I'm fairly confident that the locals aren't having any trouble picking me out as a Republican delegate. At the very least, I'm finding my requests for sweet tea and use of "ya'll" is giving me away as an out-of-towner.

I've found everyone very nice. Even the protester turn-out has been minimal. After all the hype, I was almost hoping for a little excitement, but all I have seen were about three college kids and a handful of Ron Paul supporters. So much for the youth for Obama, but all the support from the police and the event organizers here has been wonderful.

We will be hearing from Fred Thompson tonight, along with First Lady Laura Bush and Joe Lieberman. I think it speaks volumes about the current state of the Democratic Party that a man who only 8 years ago was Al Gore's running mate will be addressing the Republican National Convention. It seems to me that the Democratic leadership has abandoned its members. They seem so committed to being the anti-Bush Party that their only policy plan is to oppose anything John McCain and the Republicans support.
So I'm excited to see the convention really get going tonight - until then I will be discount shopping in Nordstrom.

-- Kate Maxwell

By washingtonpost.com  |  September 2, 2008; 4:23 PM ET
Categories:  At the 2008 Conventions
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Republican Klinge Hits Gilmore in Debate Flap
Next: McCain-Warner Campaign Debuts

Comments

Dear, dear, dear. Do you hear that great silence? That's the RNC NOT scrambling to rearrange its schedule to have the leader of their party, Pres. Bush, speak. I think that silence speak much more loudly than one candidate who has left the party. Yes, there was Gustav. Thankfully, it was much less destructive than expected. Still, no president OR vice-president. As as for the people, dear, it's called "Minnestota Nice."

Posted by: Fairfax | September 2, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Democrats "oppose everything John McCain and Republicans support?"

Democrats control the House and Senate - Bush has been vetoing of threaten to veto everything for the last 2 years. Who is saying no?

McCain voted against an immigration bill he wrote? Senator McCain and Candidate McCain need to reach an agreement about what they stand for before they go making claims like that.

Have you been watching anything going on down in Richmond lately? I'd like to have some roads one of these days.

Get a clue.

Posted by: The Party of No | September 2, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Have fun organizing Operation hate the gays, blacks, hispanics, poor, and destroy america for money.

Posted by: You are a loser | September 2, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

You might want to check out Ron Paul's Rally for the Republic at the Target Center if you have free time - or even if you don't....

It sounds like that's a far more interesting place to be.

Posted by: spinnikerca | September 2, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

"Until then I will be discount shopping at Nordstrom."

Posted by: Give Me a Break | September 3, 2008 6:18 AM | Report abuse

In the last three presidential elections where the Democrat won, the market sold off after Labor Day, rose going into election day and then sold off again. For those hoping for an Obama victory the market has started out supporting that result. Wishful thinking, maybe but if the response to Ms Palin's selection is an indication, the country is in for change.

Posted by: Consider This | September 3, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

"I think it speaks volumes about the current state of the Democratic Party that a man who only 8 years ago was Al Gore's running mate will be addressing the Republican National Convention."

Yes it does. By now it should become obvious to everyone that there is no difference between the 2 parties. Just 2 wings of the same big brother party.

Posted by: Patriot | September 3, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

You don't see any Obama supporters because they're all out working for their campaign. Who has time to protest a convention?

Posted by: obama08 | September 3, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

""Until then I will be discount shopping at Nordstrom."

What?!! If there was ever a comment that better portrayed how out of touch the Republican's are with America, it would be yours. Perhaps you should ask those people working at Nordstrom's how they feel about your party."

I think someone doesn't get sarcasm

Posted by: Zorro | September 3, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Kate for President! Love the age, love the convictions, love the articulation of values, love the involvement. Gee, let's get real. What 20-year old has the political savvy that Miss Maxwell portrays and has the courage to be candid? More politicians should embrace such class. I smell threatened constituents who, like most, won't sacrifice to get involved but spend time spewing sarcasm on those who do. Glad YOU people are not my delegate! Go cash your food stamps......they will become obsolete.

Posted by: Miss Thang, Virginia | September 3, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Kate, just saw you on CSPAN when Virginia announced their vote during roll call!

Posted by: VAdem | September 4, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse