McCain, Palin Head to Virginia

Anita Kumar

Republican presidential nominee John McCain announced today that he and his running mate Sarah Palin will campaign in Virginia on Monday.

McCain and Palin will hold a rally at 10 a.m. in Virginia Beach at the convention center. Palin will then hold at 1 p.m. rally in Richmond at the Arthur Ashe Center.

"Voters statewide are excited to have the next president and vice president of the United States bring their message of reform back to Virginia,'' Attorney General Robert F. McDonnell, McCain's campaign co-chairman. "John McCain and Sarah Palin will bring some much needed straight talk to the voters in Virginia about strengthening our economy, finding innovative solutions to our energy crisis and keeping America safe. It is going to be a tough race in Virginia, but we are focused on winning Virginia so that John McCain and Sarah Palin can shake things up in Washington."

By Anita Kumar  |  October 6, 2008; 2:05 PM ET
Categories:  Anita Kumar , Election 2008/President , John McCain , Sarah Palin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama Leads McCain in New Va. Poll
Next: Community Voters Project Registers 82,000 Minorities

Comments

This is cute. McCain is in danger of losing VA, so he had to pull resources out of MI (and probably other states)

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Virginians are not stupid... Camp McCain might as "withdraw" now and shore-up Georgia.

Posted by: Lee Cavitt | October 6, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

According to a new Poll, McCain/Palin is not the most desirable republican ticket, Huckabee/Palin would be the most desirable GOP ticket , A matter of fact, according to the poll. People preffer Huckabee/Palin 4 to 1 over McCain/Palin. See Poll results at

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Palin has the nerve to talk about Obama - when she infact is one step away from being a felon. Troopergate, tax evasion, witchcraft. This is the best John McCain could do????

Posted by: whynot | October 6, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

please tell Mccain that Va Beach is now Obama land. Don't waste your time!!!!

Posted by: jerome | October 6, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

It is so obvious that the MCCAIN/PALIN CAMPAIGN ARE SHOWING SIGNS OR PANIC, SHORT ON CASH AND DOWN RIGHT (HATE TO SAY THE "D" WORD, DESPERATE. Instead of addressing the economy this morning, Palin addressed AYERS? HUH? Are you kidding me? Who is directing the stategy here, Tucker Bounds?

Posted by: latinovoter | October 6, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

McDonnell thinks this "straight talk" is so needed in Virginia because he's watching his chances of being elected Governor in 2009 getting dimmer and dimmer by the moment!

Posted by: Doug in Mount Vernon | October 6, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Correct me if I am wrong. Has McCain told us ONE thing he would do differently than the BUSH administration? And even if he articulated one thing - since he's a Maverick doesn't that mean he might not even do that? He might just surprise us and be the same as Bush.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

whynot,

Being one step away from terrorists is far worse than a felon........be real Obama is a huge security risk for this nation. The Dems so fear another Republican administration that they have become ever so desperate. Republicans will get the white house because despite his dismal 32% approval rating, Bush far outshines the catastrophic 9%-12% approval rating of Pelosi's congress......

Posted by: Solyd | October 6, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I believe that the proper function of government is to do for the people those things that have to be done but cannot be done, or cannot be done as well by individuals, and that the most effective government is government closest to the people.
I believe that good government is based on the individual and that each person's ability, dignity, freedom and responsibility must be honored and recognized.
I believe that free enterprise and the encouragement of individual initiative and incentive have given this nation an economic system second to none.
I believe that sound money policy should be our goal.
I believe in equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, creed, age, sex or national origin. I believe that persons with disabilities should be afforded equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity as well.
I believe we must retain those principles worth retaining, yet always be receptive to new ideas with an outlook broad enough to accommodate thoughtful change and varying points of view.
I believe that Americans value and should preserve their feeling of national strength and pride, and at the same time share with people everywhere a desire for peace and freedom and the extension of human rights throughout the world.
Finally, I believe that the Republican Party is the best vehicle for translating these ideals into positive and successful principles of government.

Posted by: Solyd_Truth | October 6, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Welcome McCain and Palin! Let's bring Virginia back to its senses! Palin has every right to question the relationship between Barack and Ayers. Why won't the minutes of their meetings be released to the public? Oh, because it will prove that Barack and Ayers are tight and Barack supports this terrorist. C'mon, Virginia, WAKE UP!

Posted by: Virginia Beach | October 6, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

How is this happening? It's like a nightmare that won't quit. It is so plain as day who is for us (United States)! McCain spent his life fighting against people who hate this country! Wake up! Why can't Obama Pledge for the United States? John McCain is a soldier of this beautiful country! I am truly disappointed in MSM and the biases that occurs. Do your research and look for truthful results.

Posted by: AA | October 7, 2008 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lee Cavitt | October 6, 2008 2:34 PM

if you vote for obama, you are!

Posted by: j | October 7, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

VA Beach area might as well be Obama's town, just like IT IS THE TOWN OF MICHAEL VICK. Your rewards will not be in heaven, nor should you be allowed to be called americans. John McCain may not be perfect, but a criminal he is not, unlike OBAMA!

Posted by: mike | October 7, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Virginia needs to come back to its senses and stop drinking the Obama kool-aid. Anyone who does just a little bit of research into Obama's past should be able to clearly see how much of a risk he is! Come on my fellow Virginians, quit buying into the HUGE media bias, WAKE UP!, smell the McCain/Palin coffee and take a huge gulp of it. Country first!

Posted by: marissa | October 7, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Mike: Try Newport News as the hometown of Vick.

And when you get down off that High Horse of your's, don't rationalize that it's close. Virginia Beach is no more Michael Vick's hometown than DC is Michael Phelps' hometown.

And did you know that a lot of Naval Aviators, just like John McCain, live in Virginia Beach? Why? Because there's a Naval Air Station there.

I wouldn't be surprised if the good people of Virginia Beach are better educated Americans than you are.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 7, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I look forward to supporting them.

In the end, mainstream VA residents are not ready for Obama. I say VA is ripe for the picking. BHO already conceeded on several states...

Posted by: Steve | October 8, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

McCain / Palin for me! Being retired military, I don't want someone in office with connections to known terriorists! I want a MAN who will fight, protect and defend this great country! God Help Us All if Obama (the dems) get into office! God Help US!!!

Posted by: Marie | October 8, 2008 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Woo-hoo! Can't wait to see Sarah Palin in Richmond next week - go McCain/Palin!!

Posted by: Cindy | October 8, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait to see McCain/Palin Monday in VA Beach!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Welcome Sarah Palin. I wish with everything that I could come and watch you, but I too as a working mother must do so. For those of you putting words in our mouths, please don't. Please do not speak for me in saying do not waste your time here. It does not make you sound very intelligent, just state your opinion and move on. We will make up our own minds for ourselves. Welcome again!! Best of luck!

Posted by: Margie Adcock | October 9, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I will be at the Ashe Center in Richmond with my handmade Obama/Biden sign! Sarah Palin has turned out to be the slimiest and most disgraceful politician in my lifetime.

Posted by: Mom in Virgiinia | October 9, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Democrats sound scared....

Posted by: James | October 9, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Sara Palin is the best thing for the Republicans. Most democrats are blinded by Obama's charisma and don't really understand the difference between democrats and republicans. Obama is an empty suit. Check your facts. He has no experience and the only reason he is winning VA is because of his race. That's all people see...he is the hope of America but do you really understand what he will do...event he Clinton's don't want him in office...they are afraid of what he is going to do to the country. Cain/Palin are the best for the country and I'm excited that she will be here and I get to be a part of history. This is a historical moment.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse