Obama Addresses "Real Virginia"

Tim Craig

Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama took a swipe at Nancy Pfotenhauer, an adviser to Republican John McCain, when he took the stage a huge outdoor rally in Loudoun County this evening.

On Saturday, Pfotenhauer said on MSNBC that Democratic-leaning Northern Virginia isn't "real Virginia" because it's being infiltrated with people moving in from Washington D.C. Pfotenhauer added she was confident McCain can carry the state on Nov. 4 by winning "real Virginia" that is " is more southern in nature."

"I know some folks may not think so, but this looks like real Virginia to me," Obama told the crowd gathered at Ida Lee Park in Leesburg. "This looks like authentic Virginia and you look like real Virginians."

Later in the speech, Obama noted he has campaigned in the state eight times since June. "I haven't seen a real Virginia and a fake Virginia, I've just seen Virginia."

Regardless of how you classify Northern Virginia, it's looking as if the region could deliver Virginia's 13 electoral votes to Obama. Two different polls released today showed Obama beating McCain 2-to-1 in vote-rich Northern Virginia.

The Obama campaign estimates there were about 35,000 people at the rally.

By Tim Craig  |  October 22, 2008; 6:12 PM ET
Categories:  Tim Craig
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Palin, Biden Return to Virginia (Updated)
Next: Giuliani, Forbes Campaign for McCain in Va

Comments

Why thank you, Senator. Those comments are right nice of you.

People in Oakton, Honk! if you like Nancy.

Posted by: NoVA | October 22, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Virginia is going BLUE!

Posted by: teacher4obama | October 22, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Real Virginia is a great place to live. I do agree with the Mccain Campaign that there is a difference between "Virginia" and Northern Virginia. Northern Va is not what it used to be and is now a liberal haven that is not "Virginia". I pray to God that Mccain wins Virginia and keeps us part of the US. lol

Posted by: Joe Bloise | October 22, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Real Northern VA Citizen for Obama!

Obama/Biden 2008

Posted by: RealVACitizen | October 22, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

****AMERICA SHOULD BE FEARFULLY CONCERNED****

In the last month, After Governor Sarah Palin and HER Administration was refused by The Alaska Superior Court, then refused by The Alaska Supreme Court to SQUASH the “Troopergate Investigation” against Sarah Palin, the Alaska State Legislative Investigation (LAW) moved on the investigation of the Firing of the Alaska State Public Safety Commissioner.

Gov.Sarah Palin “IS” found “GUILTY” by The Alaska State Legislature [60] Lawmakers, [Mostly Republicans] .in the Investigation of Firing" The Chief of The Alaska State Public Safety Commissioner, Walt Monegan.

TROOPERGATE: In plain English, Sarah Palin has been legally PROVEN that she broke the Alaska State Ethics Law in ABUSING HER power in pushing for the firing of a State Trooper once married to her sister and by also ALLOWING her husband Todd Palin to use the Alaska Governor's Office in a crusade against the Officer. She is charged with 18 Ethic Violation Facts.

Currently the State of Alaska Personnel Board [appointed by Sara Palin} hired a private Investigator to continue the “Troopergate Investigation” on possible OTHER Ethic Violations which Palin allowed HER appointed Administration to participate in. Sarah Palins appointed State of Alaska, Attorney General Colberg, cannot participate to defend Gov. Palin or to defend her Administration. Why? Because he also is in conflict of interest

ALASKA GOVERNOR RECALL!
I am an Alaskan life voting Republican. This 2008 Election, I will [with pleasure] vote Democrat!

This Alaska Governor Palin has Destroyed and continues to attempt to Destroy "MANY GOOD ALASKAN PEOPLE(s)” Professionally and Politically during her "VERY SHORT" term position as Mayor in a small community Wasilla, Ak (Approx 5,000 + residents during her reign) and currently the Alaska State Governor.

McCain’s V.P. selection Sarah Palin unequivocally has NO business being the Alaska Governor, let alone, a USA Candidate for Vice President…..

Maverick??.....”AMERICA SHOULD BE FEARFULLY CONCERNED”

I voted for Sarah Palin in Alaskans 2006 Governor Election. MISTAKE!.... Never Again… I repeat-NEVER AGAIN!!....Alaska Governor Palin is an absolute Embarrassment to the Alaska People(s) and "IS PROVEN” Over and Over to be an insatiable LIAR!!..
How can she possibly ASSUME to possess the ability to clean up America, when she cannot clean the progressive ''MESS" She has created, then left Alaska to run for the United States V.P. Yes, she .departed leaving “HERSELF and HER husband todd palins” Mess FOR Alaskans to Clean-Up!!

MCCAIN, you should be ASHAMED of yourself!!!! This victim (palin) has no business in this Presidential Arena.

Posted by: Alaskan Voter
History of Palin News & Investigation Report adn.com/Newsweek

McClatchy.com; Washington Post
Anchorage Daily News a.dn.com ;Newsweek; Alaska Politics

Posted by: Alaska Governor is Embarrassment To Alaska!! | October 22, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

The only "real Virginia" I know is a setting nourished by a contradictory past which differs with some newer States only in its longevity and candour. To the best of their abilities, Virginians extract from this conflicting guidance the voices which respond most fruitfully to the issue before them, disdaining nothing in their inheritance but tending always to the fulfillment of the Revolution they led and toward which they feel an abiding obligation. At this time, for example, there is greater emphasis on what Mr. Jefferson foretold than on the way he lived, on how Mr. Madison divided power in our government, instead of how he exercised it in office. In other words, since its dawn, "real Virginia" has been ready for Barack Obama. Its question is, what kept him?

Posted by: Carter Nicholas, Charlottesville | October 22, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

This all points to what is reprensible about the Repubs.... The "real" America is more patriotic than thou, more religious than thou, richer than thou or poorer, but more "real" than thou...

But to many others, their "real" America is a land of tax-sheltered wealth, whispered bigotry, a xenophobic mistrust of the rest of the world and a sense of entitlement to the world's resources... I

Posted by: tdub | October 22, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Ther is only one Virginia as there is only one United States of America and is going to vote for Obama this November 4th.
yes we can

Posted by: Charles R. | October 22, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know what the biggest crowd has been to date to see the gop nominee?

Posted by: pj451 | October 22, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Drove thru Virginia from Berryville to Danville last week. Saw a few large McCain signs on front-end loaders and haybailers, but they were "few and far between." In small towns down rt. 340 & 29 there were yards full of Obama signs. Those people may not own as much land or have incomes above $250,000, but they do vote and that's probably why McCain is behind in Virginia, not just Northern Virginia.

Posted by: Will | October 22, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I have never seen Virginia so I don't think it exists. I'm for Palin, she thinks like me.

Posted by: pedro | October 22, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

You know, in spite of all of the hateful bile spilled by the extreme right or left since 1996, I have never imagined a national campaign labeling "who was a real American" in this manner. I wasn't alive during the McCarthy era - missed it by months - but I've been told since I was a child about what hatred and suspicion can do. I know there are moderate conservatives out there that are appalled any citizen of this country is labeled "not real Americans." They've told me so.

By the way, the majority of my life has been in small towns in those states labeled red until this year's new political maps emerged. I guess I'm not an American because my thoughts don't march in lock step with Sarah Palin's not just because of my lifetime zip codes.

Posted by: bj | October 22, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Carter Nicholas, Charlottesville | October 22, 2008 7:29 PM

You are a great writer! It is so rare to read such a thoughtful and well-written statement in a blog.

Posted by: the other jd | October 22, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

That's the Virginia I knew: where 2 of the 4 reporters talking about Virgina Politics are Indian... that's Virginia to me. And nothing against that at all, but that's pretty much how things are.

Posted by: Natalie S | October 22, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Pedro, you must be one of the rich folk that McCain likes to give tax breaks to. If not, you are voting against your own interest. I don't make over $250,000. I'm voting for Obama. Actually, even if I did make over $250,000, I would vote for Obama.

Posted by: Abigail | October 22, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Factually, its those liberal "fake" Virginians from Northern Virginia who pay the majority of taxes for all of Virginia - fake and real - and keep "real" Virginia funded and functional. Funny how those "real Virginians" as identified by Nancy Poopenheifer don't find that to be socialism. Maybe us fake Virginians should just move to Maryland where they don't differentiate between real and fake Marylanders. After all, Montgomery County is just across the river from Fairfax, and has a comparable lifestyle. But no, this Virginian will stick it out in Virginia and come November 4, show Nancy and her divisive friends that Northern Virginia is real enough to wipe that grin off her face.

Posted by: Jason | October 22, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I've lived in Virginia all my life. I have also voted Republican most of my life but not this time. McCain and Palin are damaged goods. Palin is an absurd choice as VP; McCain's grimaces during the debate scare the hell out of me. What will this man do insofar as diplomacy? I'm voting for Obama and change this round...

Posted by: J. Howard | October 22, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

GO VIRGINIA GO!!!!

OBAMA BIDEN 08...!!!

Posted by: NETHERLANDS ANTILLES | October 22, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

America is going true blue.

With Great Depression II.

No US voter trusts Rove's commie GOP.

Posted by: walker1 | October 22, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Gee, I guess George Washington wasn't a real Virginian. Mount Vernon is right here on the Potomac, you know.

Do you think he was at least "pro-America"? Hard to say, with him living in NoVA like that.

Posted by: Fairfax Voter | October 22, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

It says much to me, that though the republicans are telling us we're not Americans, we are still willing to allow them to consider themselves as Americans.

Fewer and fewer people are willing to be on the side of those who claim you can't be an American for making up your own mind to choose a different side.

I can't vote for McCain because of the anti-American attitudes of his supporters That's enough reason for me.

Posted by: rc | October 22, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

It is amazing how some continue to demonize Senator Obama even as he proves his humanity. Does that make these posters inhumane? Or merely dangerous to our democracy? The pressing danger facing us now is that of a Todd Palin WH. The parallels with Weimar Germany and the rise of the thuggish Nazis who essentially took over a civilized nation and opened the gates to its demons are scary. I am expecting a Republican victory, through voting machine cheating.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

My wife and I moved to Tidewater, Virginia 6 years ago when we were in our mid-twenties. Before that, we lived four years in Germany with the Army, but we were born and raised on the Southcoast of Massachusetts. We could not be classified as "real" Virginians if one defines "real" as being native. However, for over half a decade we have worked with "real" Virginians, lived with "real" Virginians, paid the same taxes as "real" Virginians, attended school with "real" Virginians, voted in two elections with "real" Virginians and cast our lot with the people of this Commonwealth. We have even incorporated Southernisms such as "y'all" into our speech, prompting comments such as "yous sound Southern" from our families during the holidays. What I'm trying to say is that if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and pays taxes in Duckville, it's a duck. I'm happy with my adopted home and I am sorry to hear that some of my fellow Virginians don't like the fact that we've come here to stay.

That said, you don't have to be from Massachusetts to know that the Democratic candidate is the better choice in this election.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

J

Posted by: JPHemingway | October 22, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

"I pray to God that Mccain wins Virginia and keeps us part of the US. lol" - Posted by: Joe Bloise

Pray to God? God doesn't give a damn about you and your bigoted views. All you religious nuts who think God will help you win the election, know that you're being punished for your transgressions when you wake up to a rude awakening on Nov. 5th.

Posted by: Hank Lin, California | October 22, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Some time back I read in a Washington Post article that by 2030 (or thereabouts) 2/3 of the U.S. population would be living in the sunbelt. I take that to be Virginia, North Carolina (where I live now) and parts south. The migration is happening, the old boundaries are blurred, we are becoming a blended America -- practically and metaphorically. It is no longer politics as usual, and as soon as the political strategists (Steve Schmidt) come to that realization, they will stop using the hackneyed fear-mongering that used to work, but doesn't any more. It's a new day and I'm proud of the Virginia turning (Light)Blue. -Carolina Blue Tarheel :)

Posted by: Norma Formerly of NoVa | October 22, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

OMG!!!
PAIN tells kids VICE PRESIDENT?(RUNS) SENATE...

Posted by: NETERLANDS ANTILLES | October 22, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hank Lin, California

Hank,

Do you really talk to people like that? Or is it only when you are protected by annonymity?

Because you disagree with Joe is no reason to fly off the handle. I would hope that you realize that on November 5th we'll still all in the same boat. Take that to heart. The problems that this nation is facing are too consequential for such in consequential speech. We sink or swim together.

J

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Gee, Obama & Biden sure have been acting erratic lately.

Obama taking time off to visit his typical white grandma -- she's not doing so well after being thrown under the bus.

Biden forgetting which team he's supposed to be campaigning for, warning us of the dangers of voting for Obama.

And what about Obama's erratic spiritual advisor whom he could not disown anymore than he could disown his typical grandmother -- that ever so wrong Jeremiah Wright? Is he locked in a closet somewhere or something?

Posted by: Sam | October 22, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I do make over $250K a year and have already voted for Obama. Proud to may my fair share!

Posted by: rich in VA | October 22, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

As a resident of the Richmond area I find the comments of Nancy Pfotenhauer highly offensive. It is typical Republican retoric and an attempt to divide people. We don't need that in Virginia!

Posted by: BC | October 22, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Even though there has always been a little "friction" or "competition" between Northern Virgnia and, let's say, the Tidewater area, we are one Virgnia. Anyone who would either say or imply differently is not a proud Virginian. Now all we need is a Republican operative coming into Virgnia trying to divide the state. The politics of divisiveness needs to stop.

Posted by: EarlC | October 22, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jason | October 22, 2008 7:48 PM -----------------------------------

Excellently put Jason!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

In fact, I would like to extend an invitation to all the commentors here on this page to join the Post-Election Challenge.

Approximately half of the country is not going to be happy with the results of the presidential election. The question is: are we going to spend the next four years pouting or are we going to get our act together regardless of who is at the helm? There happen to be a few issues where the candidate's positions overlap (certain details of their energy plans for example).

The Post-Election Challenge is this: I pledge that if John McCain wins the election, I will find at least one initiative of his administration that I feel comfortable supporting and I will advocate for it here and among my friends and family. If I have time I will volunteer it to help make that particular policy a success and thereby make the country better. Then in November of 2012 I will vote against John McCain's second term. I challenge all of you, Republicans, Democrats, Greens, Libertarians, Constitutionals, Socialists, Communists, Secularists, Christians, Muslims, Jews, and all others, affiliated and unaffiliated to pledge the same.

Long Live the Republic!

J

Posted by: JPHemingway | October 22, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

It has been a wonderful thing to see the country slowly going blue on the political map. Once we turn totally blue, the Republicans will have to think of something else other than wedge issues to try to divide us. I am convincd that, except for Utah, the country would turn blue if the campaign were to last a wee bit longer. Afterall, it does take a little more effort to change some minds, especially minds that have thought only one way for many years.

Posted by: EarlC | October 22, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

See, there goes Nancy trying to stir up hatred amongst Virginians who all have deal with the same issues and government. Doesn't bode well for her ideas of how a nation under one government should be treated either. Shocker....coming from the anti-everything campaign.

Posted by: Virginian Stephanie | October 22, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

We North Carolinians have always been jealous of our neighbors to the North. Our State is just as beautiful ( maybe more so), just as diverse, and just as historic. But Virginia has produced so many presidents - some really goods ones too. And again this year we are put in the position of following our northern neighbor by putting Obama ahead in the polls. So (prematurely)- way to go Virginia! We here in North Carolina will soon be going blue too! Obama Biden 2008!

-NC Jeff

Posted by: NC - Jeff | October 22, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

IMAGINARIUM: “A FEW GOOD, ALMOST LUCID, MOMENTS”

(KEITH OLBERMANN PLAYS ‘HARDBALL’ WITH JOHN MCCAIN, WHO’S DOWN FOR THE COUNT)

JOHN MCCAIN: You want answers?

KEITH OLBERMANN: I think I'm entitled to them.

JOHN MCCAIN: You want answers?

KEITH OLBERMANN: I want the truth!

JOHN MCCAIN: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has a certain, precious amount of wealthy people. And those wealthy people have the right to protect what they have, any way they can. If they don’t do it, who's gonna do it? You? You, Keith Olbermann? I, as their candidate, have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for those lower and middle classes and you curse the people who give them jobs. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that all those unemployed, underemployed and soon-to-be-unemployed people, while tragic, probably didn’t work very hard anyway. (Look at how little they earned compared to CEOs' salaries and their well-deserved golden parachutes!!!) And the existence of trickle down Republican economics, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, is what has raised that free market tide so that all boats, big and small, could float...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about these facts, like with your friends at Georgetown parties, you want me on call. You need me on call.

We use phrases like “loose regulations, squishy credit lines and a warm place to count the profits” ...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending our captains of industry. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who still rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very economic bubble I helped George Bush to provide, then questions the manner in which we provided it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you grow some patriotic gonads and eschew socialism. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

KEITH OLBERMANN: Did you support George Bush and all his works?

JOHN MCCAIN: (quietly) I did the job that the Republican Party sent me to do.

KEITH OLBERMANN: Did you support George Bush and his economic policies?

JOHN MCCAIN: You're goddamn right I did!!

Posted by: Martin Edwin Andersen | October 22, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem supporting things that a Pres. McCain would do with which I would agree.

However, I have done even more under Bush, a President that I did not vote for. I have not bad-mouthed him in public. My wife, mom, and I share some really neat moments together trying to survive Bush and his inability to speak in coherent sentences. Considering the fact that my Republican friends never let up on Clinton for 8 years, I knew that I would be different. Now, look what my Republican friends gave me for a president for 8 years.

In fact, I saw "Impeach Clinton" bumper stickers immediately after he was elected to office in 1992. And to think that Republicans complain when we dare to criticize Bush. At least I have not resorted to the gutter language that both Bush and Cheney use in public. As I was taught many years ago by some liberal teacher, "It is a mark of a very limited vocabulary when one must resort to such language." To me, word choice is also a moral issue.

Posted by: EarlC | October 22, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget McCain's brother calling NoVA "communist country"...for some reason this didn't get a lot of press.
McCain and Palin (she of "real America") have decided their politics of dividing us into little groups of patriots/non-patriots, real Americans/fake Americans, etc., is their only shot at winning...along with the name-calling (socialist), trying to play the dirty association game (Ayers, Acorn), and cheap gimmicks (suspended campaign, Joe the Plumber)...doesn't look like it's working

Posted by: Fuzzy | October 22, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Earl C,

Right on! Put the challenge to the next person with whom you disagree. Pass it on..........

J

Posted by: JPHemingway | October 22, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Martin Edwin Andersen,

That's funny as hell!
I'm stealing it.

J

Posted by: JPHemingway | October 22, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

J.P. Hemingway,

Feel free to distribute as wide as possible.

However, I am reposting with a copyright sign.

I believe in economic redistribution, but not not crediting authors' works ;)

Best,
Mick Andersen

IMAGINARIUM:

“A FEW GOOD, ALMOST LUCID, MOMENTS” (c)

(KEITH OLBERMANN PLAYS ‘HARDBALL’ WITH JOHN MCCAIN, WHO’S DOWN FOR THE COUNT)

JOHN MCCAIN: You want answers?

KEITH OLBERMANN: I think I'm entitled to them.

JOHN MCCAIN: You want answers?

KEITH OLBERMANN: I want the truth!

KEITH OLBERMANN: Did you support George Bush and all his works?

JOHN MCCAIN: (quietly) I did the job that the Republican Party sent me to do.

KEITH OLBERMANN: Did you support George Bush and his economic policies?

JOHN MCCAIN: You're goddamn right I did!!

Posted by: Martin Edwin Andersen | October 22, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm very surprised that John McCain has taken the low road in this campaign. His tactics only guarantee a bigger loss in congressional races.

I guess the "real Virginia" is now a blue state.

Posted by: Ken - Oakton | October 22, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I guess subliminal attempts to divide the country are not enough. Palin is distinguishing Real America and I guess, fake America, and now pretty Nancy is going to divide Virginia as well. I'm assuming real Virginia is in real America??? Why didn't the GOP include a new map of the country as part of their Platform at the Convention?

Posted by: Glenn W. | October 22, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

I've lived in NoVa for 20 years. All my children were born and raised here. My husband's father and grandfather grew up in went to UVA as did my husband, although none of my kids can get in, partly because the University gives preference to the "real" Southwest Virginians who refuse to give us back our tax money to solve our transportation problems. Watch out, folks. You're about to be rolled over-for real. I can be very tolerant but when someone questions my patriotism or my right to be part of the state I live and pay taxes in, that is really the limit. I can't wait to cast my vote for Obama, Warner, and Connelly.

Posted by: Marianne evans | October 22, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Go Virginia, go. Blue, blue, blue.

Tidewater, Piedmont, BLUE Ridge Mountains....

Blue, blue, blue.

Posted by: abc | October 22, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

I can see Virginia from my front porch!

---
Obama '08

Posted by: Frank Stovicek | October 22, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

If you live in Northern Virginia, McCain's spokeswoman and VP have made it abundantly clear that you're neither a real Virginian nor a real American.

Since you're apparently not a US citizen anyway, Canada apparently will welcome liberal exiles in the unlikely event of a McCain win, under their E.L.I.T.E. Plan.

(Expatriot Liberal Intellectual Theocracy Escape Plan.)

It's really funny.

Posted by: Kevrobb | October 22, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Heh... sorry. :)

Posted by: Frank Stovicek | October 22, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Northern Virginia is NOT Virginia. Its is an unannexed part of DC. I share this because I am a Virginian and us true Virginians wish Northern Virginia would secede from Virginia as West Virginia did. But we'd mighty proud to welcome West Virginia back into the commonwealth. I may as well point out also that our Gov, current senator and senator wannabe are not real Virginians either. They are carpetbaggers from other states.

Posted by: Patrick Henry | October 22, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

As a proud Virginian, a refugee from the Texas oil bust of '85, who had the good fortune to settle in beautiful Fairfax County, I take umbrage at being deemed less "real" by self-serving, self-appointed arbiters from out of state.

Posted by: jhbyer | October 22, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait to go and vote and get all this nonsense over with? The last few years have been an absolute disaster and everyone is paying the price, real americans and us "fake-virginians-not-real-americans". The McCain/Palin circus show is an embarrasing display to the rest of the world.

I am a Virginian and proud of it!

Posted by: Joe | October 22, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

A recent survey tellingly showed that the Dems mostly refer to our nation as "the United States" whereas Republicans are much more inclined to call it "America", an ambiguous name.

Posted by: jhbyer | October 22, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I have been surprised to learn over the last few weeks that I am apparently a communist and don't really live in VA.
Where do I send my taxes now? Do I pay my Fidel? I guess I need further instructions...

Posted by: MKW | October 22, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I was at this rally, and it was fabulous. : )

Posted by: Holly | October 22, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

"Real" Virginians can harken back to one of her son's most telling quotes:

"You may be whatever you resolve to be."
Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Mr. Obama has obviously resolved to be forthright, honorable, and focused.

The future appears much brighter than the sordid past.

Posted by: VMI Graduate | October 22, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

A come here thirty years ago. Yes, Virginia will go blue. I drove across this great state last weekend. Yes, Virginia will go blue November 4th. Get out and vote to make it so.

Posted by: K. Williamsburg, VA | October 22, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

I am a real Virginian. Eighty-five years ago, my family left South Central Virginia, because there was nothing here for them. There were no jobs, no land-ownership, no education, no control over racial identity for the mixed-raced groups living in the area. They didn't even consider the right to vote. My grandfather moved to Baltimore for a chance and one by one, he brought the family to the relative north of Baltimore. After a successful career in the arts, my father's proudest moment remained the time when he, at age 7, taught his newly arrived adult uncle how to write his name. On November 4th, I will be voting for the real Virginia. I will be voting for my grandparents, great aunts and uncles and all their ancestors, who never had a chance in the old Virginia.

Posted by: C. Lewis | October 22, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

MCsame/Baracuda behavior is a desparate attempt to invoke racism and fear mongering coz they dont have anything else to offer but BushMcsame!!! i am proud to be an ELITE ,smart,informed citizen of the united states (sadly according to MCshame not United states but "America" or not real Americans)

Go Obama/Biden 08

Posted by: Wakarosh | October 22, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

The next Nobel Prize for Physics must be awarded to the GOP for their invention of the "Real" effect of people living in the US.

Posted by: SJ Vettom | October 22, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I was at the Loudoun rally and was glad to hear that the Democratic party accepts all Virginians as "real." Nancy Pfotenhauer really put her foot in her mouth with that quote. I wonder what she will think when Virginia goes blue?

Posted by: tchr527 | October 22, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I was at the rally and what a strong showing of suppport. The Democratic party is tired of the last 8 years and is ready for a Change. Come Nov 4th there will be a new administration that is for the people. Can't wait for a landslide victory.

Posted by: sterlingspeaks | October 22, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

"Pedro, you must be one of the rich folk that McCain likes to give tax breaks to. If not, you are voting against your own interest."

How about voting for Capitalism? What about actually encouraging people to work hard instead of buying votes by promising handouts? Have you stopped for one second to think WHY Obama can afford to give bigger tax breaks to the middle class (including new welfare checks to those who don't pay taxes)?!

"Socialists mainly share the belief that capitalism unfairly concentrates power and wealth among a small segment of society that controls capital, and creates an unequal society. All socialists advocate the creation of an egalitarian society, in which wealth and power are distributed more evenly"

Posted by: Mark | October 22, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

I live in Ricmond, the capital of Virginia, but since it has a relatively large population and leans democrat (at least in Richmond City) it too, is Fake Virginia--or is it Imaginary Virginia? I wonder if my 19 years growing up in a smallish town in Texas is enough to make me a real American. Is it sort-of averaged out, or once you move to a big city or get a passport do you instantly become an Imaginary American? Or do I need to join a separatist movement to become a Real American? They just wanted to secede from the Fake/Imaginary America, while holding on to those "little pockets of Real America". I am just so curious as to how things work in Palinland.

Posted by: ScottM84 | October 23, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I also live in Oakton, so Nancy Pfotenhauer and I have the same elected representatives. Our Fairfax Supervisor, State Senator and Delegate, Governor and one US Senator are all Democrats. None is up for re-election this year.

Our other US Senator and our Congressman, both Republicans, are retiring this year and Democrats Warner and Connolly are heavily favored to replace them.

So if Barack Obama becomes President (please, God, make it so), EVERY ONE of Nancy Pfotenhauer's elected representatives, from County Supervisor to President of the US, will be a DEMOCRAT.

Talk about irony!

Obama! Warner! Connolly!

Posted by: Rocketman1 | October 23, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

The Commonwealth of Virginia has high levels of ozone pollution, particulate matter pollution and toxic chemical pollution in the air we breath. This has caused thousands of children to develop chronic asthma that will last their lifetimes. Ozone causes permanent lung damage in even the healthiest people. It comes from mixing hot temperatures, car exhaust and vapors from pumping gas into cars.

Gov. Gilmore's pledge to burn more carbon-based fuels is a recipe for bad health for all Virginians. He would rather hurt our children than address the real need conserve energy and reduce air pollution.

This is the governor who ransacked our department of transportation and eliminated any hope for mass transit and safer, efficient ways to provide energy. What he could never comprehend is that those solutions also provide more energy and lower our dependence on foreign oil.

Electing Governor Drillmore will guarantee that children and adults will suffer pain and debilitating illnesses. Do we need him in the US Senate? Heck no.

Please, if you value your right to breathe clean air, send this man packing.

Posted by: thuff7 | October 23, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse