Bluegrass Legend Releases Ad for Obama

Anita Kumar

Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama's campaign announced today a new folksy radio ad in Virginia featuring bluegrass legend Ralph Stanley. The spot is playing on stations in Southwest Virginia.

"Howdy, friends. This is Ralph Stanley, and I think I know a little something about the families around here,'' Stanley says in the ad with banjos picking in the background. "and after the last eight years - I know we all need a change. Now, nobody's looking for a handout, but we could use a leader that's on our side. That leader is Barack Obama."

Stanley, 81, of Coeburn, received the National Medal of Arts in 2006, the nation's highest honor for artistic excellence. In 2008, the Virginia General Assembly designated him the Outstanding Virginian. He endorsed Obama last month.

By Anita Kumar  |  October 2, 2008; 1:29 PM ET
Categories:  Anita Kumar , Barack Obama , Election 2008/President , John McCain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New Poll Shows McCain With Narrow Lead in Va.
Next: New Spanish Radio Ads Start in Virginia

Comments

I think its great and hope that bluegrass lovers everywhere will listen to Ralph Stanley and vote for Obama, if nothing else because Bush has done nothing for the people of Southwest VA but take their children into the army.

Posted by: Kempton | October 2, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I thought the world of Ralph Stanley before, now I like him even more! Let's hope his "Constant Sorrow" ends on Nov.4!

Posted by: JP | October 2, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Ralph has always represented the best in family values. I saw him 2 years ago and he was putting his grandkids out front on the stage. He is a great American.

Thank you Ralph for the nod for Obama.

Posted by: Stan | October 2, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Who?

Posted by: William | October 2, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

why thank you ralph you remind me of the relationship with john and sarah they met once and he choose her for his vp,well guess what i have never met you and you sound like nice guy i will take your advice and vote for obama how's that.obama- biden folks and you can thank ralph for that.

Posted by: frank | October 2, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I must say, I am now quite disappointed in Ralph Stanley. Some change is good, but change for the sake of change is, in this case, not so good IMHO.

Have you people who support Senator Obama really looked at his issues, or are you just looking for a change? This guy has some very left-leaning ideas, more like socialism, than almost anyone else in our government.

There are a few surveys on the net which allow people to answer question and see where the candidates stand relevant to the rest of the country. The Illinois senator is way left of the majority of Americans on almost every issue.

Think about what you're doing instead of being caught in the "let's change, no matter how it will adversely affect our country" trap.

Posted by: Ron | October 2, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Ralph, how wonderful! I love your music and what a wonderful gift from you, you are raising your voice for Senator Obama.

You are right. The last 8 yrs were pretty unfortunate. Senator Obama has the best set of policies and vision for the country going forward. And Senator Obama is a man of integrity, grit and grace (just like you!), a leader and a man who inspires to do better and make this a better world.

Thank you!!

Posted by: lucy2008 | October 2, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Ralph Stanley! For your music and for standing up for America!

Posted by: Tinsley | October 2, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

MR. STANLEY THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING OBAMA.
I AM A RESIDENT OF S.W. VA. ALSO.
I NOT ONLY ADMIRE OBAMA FOR HIS INTEGRITY IN THE FACE OF SLANDEROUS REMARKS AND CONSTANT SMEARS -- I ALSO ADMIRE YOUR INTEGRITY FOR TAKING A STAND KNOWING THAT CERTAIN PEOPLE WILL ALSO TRY TO INSULT YOUR DECISION.

GOD BLESS,
HERB

Posted by: HERB | October 2, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I've been attending Ralph's concerts for decades and I am thrilled to find out that Ralph can see through the B.S. of the current administration and the candidates and make a wise choice in supporting Obama.

Posted by: Maggie H. | October 3, 2008 5:31 AM | Report abuse

I am a "SWVA'er" and I know Ralph, and I'm a fellow singer/songwriter/musician myself fully supporting Barack Obama. Of the two candidates, Senator Obama is the only one who took the time to visit the people of Southwest Virginia, not once, but TWICE. Can the other gentleman make the same claim?

Posted by: Dan Deel | October 5, 2008 3:04 AM | Report abuse

Ralph Stanley's endorsement of Obama is surely the best news I've heard today.

Posted by: Fred | October 7, 2008 12:22 AM | Report abuse