Obama Asks Va Democrats to Prepare Ads

Anita Kumar

Sen. Jim Webb (D-Va.) cut a radio ad for Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama that will run in southwest Virginia and perhaps North Carolina and other states in the South.

Obama has also asked Gov. Timothy M. Kaine (D) and former governor Mark R. Warner (D) to do the same, according to Democratic sources.

Kaine, who was on Obama's short list for vice president, is likely to appear in an ad for his friend Obama. It's unclear whether Warner, who is trying to draw bipartisan support for his bid for U.S. Senate against former James S. Gimore III, will star in an ad.

In his ad, Webb, a veteran and NRA member, recounts his own gun history and then explains why listeners can trust Obama, who he calls a friend, to not infringe on their Second Amendment rights.

Webb, elected in 2006, will campaign for Obama in southwest Virginia Thursday. Rallies are scheduled for Bristol, Marion, Pulaski and Blacksburg.

By calling on the state's top three Democratic politicans, Obama's campaign is indicating that it still needs help to win the battleground state of Virginia. Polls show the race between Obama and Sen. John McCain (R) is extremely close but Republican presidential candidates often outperform their final poll numbers.

By Anita Kumar  |  October 14, 2008; 10:52 PM ET
Categories:  Anita Kumar , Campaign Ads , Election 2008/President , James Webb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McCain to Hold Rally in Prince William County
Next: Kaine Seeks to Boost Glenn Nye

Comments

The major news around this election have been neglecting the economy lately. Given the state we find ourselves in, I think it is important for us, as consumers, to support 'green business.' For example, I came across a website, http://www.simplestop.net that stops your postal junk mail and benefits the environment. I hope the next President will support the effort.

Posted by: Clark | October 14, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

How about some clarity with your language? I would bet that most readers of your headline think that Obama asked Va Democrats to STOP ads.

Posted by: Gary Jean | October 15, 2008 7:37 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Gary Jean--I had to read this twice to realize she meant "DO" ads.

Also, since when do Republicans outperform their poll numbers? Seriously, I didn't know that--can someone fill me in? And is this only in VA?

Posted by: Mark | October 15, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Like the other commenters, I was completely confused by the headline, which I read to mean the opposite of what it does mean. Like them, I also thought there must be some bad ads being produced in Virginia, that Obama had asked the party to cut (stop doing). This use of "cut" may be familiar to political insiders, but it has the opposite meaning to the general public. Why not change it to "record" or "make" or even "add their voices" or "give extra help"? A better headline would help in informing people what's going on.

Posted by: Fairfax Voter | October 15, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

"Obama Asks Va Democrats to Cut Ads" may be Kumar needs to go retake ESL refresher. She should have said Obam Asks VA Democrats to increase/shoot/prepare new Ads.

Posted by: singh rana | October 15, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Count me as another who thought the headline meant that Obama was pulling these ads.

Nuts, I was hoping that Obama was going to quit insulting the intelligence of gun owners and stop pretending that he's anything but an enemy of the Second Amendment and most all law-abiding gun owners. I said MOST all, I imagine he doesn't have any trouble with his armed Secret Service detail.

I expected the lie that Obama will protect our 2A rights from a PHONY pro-gun group like the American Hunters and Shooters Association...but I'm very disappointed in Webb. Obama's history in regards to votes and statements regarding gun rights speaks for itself.

Posted by: KP | October 19, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad to read that Webb, Kaine and hopefully Warner will be out on the stump for Obama in SW Virginia.

I'm a "law-abiding" gun owner and I don't have any problems with Obama's positions on firearms. There are many serious issues facing voters this fall, and if he is elected, I doubt Obama will spend any time considering actions that will curtail the rights of legitimate gun owners.

Jobs, the mortgage crisis, the education of our children, the financial meltdown, trade, the environment, our position in the world, et cetera, are what's on the minds of most Americans, not guns.

Posted by: Harry K | October 20, 2008 7:23 AM | Report abuse