Final Mason-Dixon Poll Shows Close Race

Tim Craig

Democrat Barack Obama and Republican John McCain remain locked in a close race in Virginia, according to the final Mason Dixon Polling & Research Inc. survey.

The poll, conducted for several Virginia newspapers, has Obama drawing 47 percent vs. McCain's 44 percent. A Mason-Dixon Virginia poll two weeks ago had Obama ahed by 2-points, 47 to 45 percent..

According to the Virginian Pilot, pollster J. Bradford Coker found large numbers of white, undecided voters. Coker said McCain can still carry Virginia if those voters break his way during the final 48-hours of the campaign.

But Obama remains well-positioned to win Virginia. The Mason-Dixon poll shows him beating McCain by 30-points in Northern Virginia and by 10-points in Hampton Roads, a crucial battleground in statewide elections. McCain leads in the rest of the state.

In the 2006 Senate race, the final Mason-Dixon poll had U.S. Sen. James Webb (D-Va.) ahead of Republican George Allen by one-point, 46 percent to 45 percent. Two days later, Webb defeated Allen by about one-half percentage point.

By Tim Craig  |  November 2, 2008; 12:07 AM ET
Categories:  Tim Craig
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Last Minute Attack Ads Underway
Next: NRA Runs Anti-Obama Ads in Va

Comments

How anyone could still be undecided at this point is simply unbelievable. Either they live under a rock or are racist and ashamed to admit it. Period.

We in NVA and the Hampton Roads area should form our own state and let the rest of them fend for themselves. I for one am sick of my taxes going to those areas almost exclusively. We are choked with traffic gridlock and they could care less. They will when their economic engine stalls due to the shortsightedness.

Posted by: capone1 | November 2, 2008 4:52 AM | Report abuse

I have followed this election from the start and listened to both candiates with an open mind.

My decision to whom I will vote for has surprised me greatly and at the same time disappointed me. Disappointed, because I have always voted for a Republican candidate and now in good conscious I cannot.

I must vote for a Democrat for the first time in my life and I will not apologies to anyone for doing so. The Republican Party must apologies to me for Bush and for McCain picking Sarah Palin.
Without Palin McCain would had had a chance for my vote.

I am voting for Barack Obama and Joe Biden. It is the right choice. It is hard to walk away from the Republican Party.

The Republican Party has disappointed me so much with poor judgement in this election and this being so, I cannot trust them for the next four years after 8 years bringing Amercia almost to the brink of destruction.

I believe Barack Obama to be the only choice to save Amercia.

Posted by: Kimmo1 | November 2, 2008 5:16 AM | Report abuse

WHY I REPUBLICAN IS VOTING FOR A DEMOCRAT FIRST TIME
I have followed this election from the start and listened to both candidates with an open mind.
My decision to which I will vote for has surprised me greatly and at the same time disappointed me. Disappointed, because I have always voted for a Republican candidate and now in good conscious I cannot.
Without Palin McCain would have had a chance for my vote?
The Republican Party has disappointed me so much with poor judgement in this election and this being so, I cannot trust them for the next four years after 8 years bringing America almost to the brink of destruction.
I believe Barack Obama to be the only choice to save America.

Posted by: Kimmo1 | November 2, 2008 5:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: edisoneclectic | November 2, 2008 5:32 AM | Report abuse

It is funny that the people in Northern Virginia -- who know John McCain even better than the people of Arizona -- are 2-1 against him.

(It is probably related to Rick Davis' shakedown retainer fees)

Posted by: Jaxxon | November 2, 2008 5:47 AM | Report abuse

smoker to the white house? while the country is burning, is that the best reason you can come up with for to use against one of the two candidate? Boy! No wonder the republicans are losing so heavily. Talk about unpatriotic! You care nothing about our country, only about your party winning no matter what. We should deport you guys. ;-)

Posted by: johndoe5 | November 2, 2008 5:59 AM | Report abuse

edisoneclectic | wrote:

"Citizens,please consider. Do we really want to send a smoker to the White House?"

__________________________________________

Citizens, please also consider...Do we really want to send a 72 year old four time cancer patient to the white house knowing that the vice president's foreign affairs experience is soley that of being able to see russia from her house?

LOL!!!

LANDSLIDE BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBAMA 08

Posted by: pgiaquinto | November 2, 2008 6:13 AM | Report abuse

McCain has used fear and anger to bring out the worst in us. I voted for Obama/Biden.

Posted by: rooster54 | November 2, 2008 6:31 AM | Report abuse

In his very brief career, Obama has been rated the number one ideologue in the Senate. Obama's extremist policies and appointments would undermine the family, human dignity, freedom of conscience and religious expression, and free enterprise. And if that's not enough, Prof. Obama is a naive and foolish academic whose on the job training would endanger the whole world.

There is only one great man on the ballot, and only one qualified candidate: Sen. John S. McCain.

Posted by: zjr78xva | November 2, 2008 7:16 AM | Report abuse

I have been doing data analysis since 1991 as a consultant. I have examined numerous polls and conclude that most of the undecided are not undecided.

Twice I have analyzed "non-participants" in surveys or research studies. Both times the Whittier Effect was confirmed. The theory is that those who have to answer a question with an answer that is unpopular, or ridiculed or presented in a positive light will give the least threating answer.

In the first study, questions asked students of 3 large school districts about friend and family. "Have you ever" done drugs, etc. The study was conducted over 4 years. Those who refused certain questions were analyzed. Roughly 60% (if I remember correctly) of those refusing to answer had answered "one of my parents works for the school district".

The second survey dealt with attitudes concerning drug usage in high school. It too was conducted over 4 years. There was a control group and a group participating in an anti-drug use program. After a few follow-up surveys. The Whittier effect became obvious. Those in the participant group began to leave questions about drug usage blank. Others began giving contradictory answers. The first survey before being told drug use is wrong respondent A says "I did drugs within the past month". However, 6 months later in follow-up. Respondent A checks "I have never done drugs".

Posted by: ajeffrey824 | November 2, 2008 7:22 AM | Report abuse

"My guess is that the undecideds will break for McCain which in this election is the unpopular choice. Union workers are under pressure to vote for BO, Teachers, Blacks and other minorities. If BO is not above 50% in a poll and there is a large block of undecideds any pollster would be wise to not make any assumption unless they assume they determine the unpopular choice and adjust results accordingly."

But most of the undecideds in Virginia are in the most heavily Republican areas of the state, where the popular choice is always the GOP. What I worry about is the incredibly nasty direct mail I get attacking Obama -- 4-6 pieces a day. If McCain carries Virginia it's just proof that the only thing we respond to is fear, lies, xenophobia, racism--and that would be really sad because there isn't one positive message about McCain's direction for the country in anything the Republican Party is doing in the Commonwealth.

Posted by: WillyHSmith | November 2, 2008 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Obama will carry Virginia, and he will carry it BIG.

Posted by: pgiaquinto | November 2, 2008 7:41 AM | Report abuse

OBAMA will win Virginia.

All you folks remember. About three weeks ago OBAMA was down by at least 4 points or more. Now he's up by three. Not a lot but up in a red state won by Bush twice. No democrat has won it since 64.

Two days before the election and he's leading in my home state Virginia. That's great. Up by 4 points in Nevada, up by 17 in Mexico, 6 and 4 points in Nevada. In the west. Red states that McCain has to defend. All OBAMA needs is to win all the blue, he can even give up Pennsylvania, and win with all the rest of the blue states that McCain wont win.

OBAMA will win Virginia. I see it in the eyes of my fellow Virginians. They are ready and waiting for that gun to pop and be off to the Nov. 4th races.

Posted by: llewis40 | November 2, 2008 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Those of you who are thinking of voting for Obama because he wants to serve Man-

IT'S A COOKBOOK!

Posted by: dyinglikeflies | November 2, 2008 7:49 AM | Report abuse

PALIN PUNKED! Prank Call with Fake French President Sarkozy!!! LOL!

Sarah Palin unwittingly took a prank call today from a Canadian comedian posing as French President Nicolas Sarkozy and telling her she would make a good president someday.

“Maybe in eight years,” replies a laughing Palin.

The Republican vice presidential nominee discusses politics, the perils of hunting with Vice President Dick Cheney, and Sarkozy’s “beautiful wife,” in a recording of the call set to air Monday on a Quebec radio station.

“Gov. Palin was mildly amused to learn that she had joined the ranks of heads of state, including President Sarkozy and other celebrities, in being targeted by these pranksters.

C’est la vie,” Palin campaign spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt said.

The call was made by well-known Montreal comedy duo Marc-Antoine Audette and Sebastien Trudel.

Posted by: WVUWEIRTON | November 2, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

This VA USMC Veteran and Blue Star mother is voting for Obama!

McCain will not tell you he voted AGAINST up-armoring tactical vehicles for troops in the Middle East! He's a phony!

USMC and Blue Star Mother for OBAMA!

Posted by: SueMVetforObama | November 2, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

If folks are "sick of their taxes going to those areas," how sick are you going to be when your hard-earned money goes to people who don't work, are lazy, and contribute nothing to America IF Obama wins?

Posted by: mooncrow | November 2, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Several of the five aircraft that spiraled out of Mr. McCain's control in the past were characterized as "flame outs". His currently moribund campaign seems to be following suit and flaming out as well. As his numbers nose dive toward a crash and burn scenario he seems determined to plumb the depths of deceit and dishonor with an utter disregard for his legacy and place in history. Our certified war hero, happy warrior, "Mr. reach-across-the-aisle" darling of Democrat and Republican alike has vanished from view, and sadly will soon be lost to our memories as well. The tragedy unfolding before us is ugly and dismaying in the extreme. To wit: an irascible, mean-spirited, stumbling old goat wallowing in a cesspool of calumny, dishonor and shameless lies. When my trusted and beloved old hound stumbled onto a skunk when out on the trail, repeated bathing in tomato juice diminished the ordure and allowed him to be welcomed back into hearth and home. Sadly, it seems that so much stink will cling to the empty shell of a once great American when this is all over that no such happy rehabilitation will await him. While I cringe in the face of his desperate and despicable tactics my heart and prayers go out to whatever remnant of the real John McCain remains intact.

Posted by: kmarin | November 2, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

And another thing ... I think Virginia has come a long way in folks registering to vote. For years ... and I've been around a long time ... many people didn't register to vote because it placed them "in the system" ... where they could be located or tracked down if necessary, expected to pay taxes and possibly checked if they didn't, and even called for and expected to participate in jury duty. It's refreshing that those Virginians have decided to become an active part of Virginia's and America's society.

Posted by: mooncrow | November 2, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

mooncrow wrote:
"...many people didn't register to vote because it placed them "in the system" ... where they could be located or tracked down if necessary, expected to pay taxes and possibly checked if they didn't, and even called for and expected to participate in jury duty."

It sounds to me that you are deeply prejudiced against one disadvantaged segment of society while ignoring the BILLION-dollar rip-offs of another. One no-bid contract contains more lost tax dollars than all of the welfare cheats in the entire southeastern USA.
And welfare cheats don't read the Post, so your threat that someone will look them up is not reaching the right demographic in this venue. Sorry, mooncrow.

Posted by: trevorkew | November 2, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I have canvassed voters in parts of Virginia because it is my home state -- going back generations.

Impressions:

- Obama voters are happy, joyous people. I don;t know whether happy and hopeful people vote for Obama, or whether voting for Obama makes someone happy.

- McCain voters, except for one notable group, are angry, foul-tempered, against Barack Obama but not for anything in McCain's program. They often give the feeling that no one has the right to vote any way except for McCain...almost an ownership feeling, expressed in those big signs that say "Virginia is McCain country".

- I found one serious group of McCain supporters: pro-life voters. I had a half-dozen long conversations with polite and thoughtful people whose genuine beliefs pushed hard at my conscience. I suggested they read the "Pro-life for Obama" website, built around the writings of one of President Reagan's lawyers who is now a law professor and a Roman Catholic. My own sense is that pro-life voters agree with Senator Obama on 99 out of 100 issues, and disagree with Senator McCain on 99 out of 100 issues. Having thought more about it, I believe that Senator Obama's ideas trend toward a more all-around pro-life stand than do those of Senator McCain.

This is a comment, so I'll leave it at that.

Posted by: JohnWWelch | November 2, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

trevorkew ... my post was from personal observations over the years. Every election year voices are yelling "get out and vote!" ... I've known folks personally who would not register to vote because they did not want to have to pull jury duty. I'm just glad people are not holding back because of these reasons. So don't make this something it isn't. And btw I don't know any really rich people personally. The people I know personally work hard, pay their taxes, and want to keep America from becoming socialistic.

Posted by: mooncrow | November 2, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Virginia...objecting to a smoker? Puleeez.

Republicans should not be ashamed of voting Obama this year, I come from a long line of republicans, my brother has worked for the GOP, and we are both voting Obama.

The GOP can take the next 4 years to reform itself...big time. We will all be happy to help

Posted by: frayedcat | November 2, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

The Mason-Dixon poll, in my experience, has been one of the least reliable over time. Their survey sample is much too small, and the standard error much too large. They would need almost twice as large a sample in order to state that "Virginia is too close to call" with as much certainty as they have. I would rely more on pollsters such as Frank Newport of the Gallup Organization, particularly for an explanation on "undecided" voters, who he says do not "break" heavily for one candidate or the other. In fact, many "undecided" voters (about 5 to 6 percent, not 10 percent or more) do not end up voting at all. Moreover, most credible statisticians have disputed the magnitude of the "Bradley" effect. And, lastly, what happens in Virginia will not "tilt" what happens in "newer demographic" states such as New Mexico, Colorado, and Nevada, where early voting (near 50% will have already voted by Tuesday) has not been factored into the statistical models that Mason-Dixon and a few other minor polling organizations have been using.

Posted by: EugeneScott | November 2, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Undecided will remain undecided on Nov 5th. The undecided is mostly (according to studies) someone who does not care about or follow politics. Issues that directly affect them (pocketbook) are their only issues, but the candidate (if they vote at all) is usually selected based on non-issues, like character, poise, IQ, etc. That makes is doubly troubling for McCain since negative ads offend many undecided voters (highlights the Party's lack of character). Voting day, undecideds either stay home or vote "anti-negative" in most elections to date anyway.

Posted by: wmboyd | November 2, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Let me say that I am a Democrat from Northern Virginia. I have always voted Democrat, but in the last 2 weeks I have changed my mind. After the partisan investigation of "Joe the Plumber", I have decided that protection of my rights is more important than anything else. Therefore I am voting for John McCain. The Barack Obama machine is starting to scare me regarding what will be left of my constitutional rights should this continue. Sorry fellow Democrats, but unfortuately.....John McCain gets my vote on Tuesday.

Posted by: vaproud | November 2, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I am a naturalized American citizen and for now I have two choices - vote for McCain or stay away from the voting booth. I am very close to my retirement and I voted for GOP candidate from the very first day i became US citizen. For over a year I watched McCain’s campaign. At first, I thought McCain is going to be a strong successor to George Bush who in my opinion is the most unappreciated President in modern history. The more McCain tried to distance himself with out current President the more obvious it became that he is just another ungrateful political opportunist that is not capable of resisting to the obamania. For a number of reasons I will never vote for Obama and McCain’s disrespect for George Bush makes me very uneasy to cast my vote for the candidate who flips flops his entire campaign.

Posted by: vaxira | November 2, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

VIRGINA!!!! Watch this video - If you had ANY doubt who to vote for you won't after viewing this...

Posted by: mBryce | November 2, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

vaproud: regarding a partisan investigation of 'Joe the Plumber', my understanding it that the information that became public about him was all in the public record, possibly I'm wrong about that.

Posted by: newageblues | November 2, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Remember when Democrats represented Americans????
***** I CAN'T EITHER! *****

This fact that Barack Obama has ILLEGAL ALIEN relatives living in taxpayer funded housing will lose him at least 5-10 % points in
close states. This issue makes people's blood boil.

Virginia will go into McCain's column Tues. night.

Posted by: Grog29 | November 2, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Yo vaproud, who said -
"Let me say that I am a Democrat from Northern Virginia. I have always voted Democrat, but in the last 2 weeks I have changed my mind. After the partisan investigation of "Joe the Plumber", I have decided that protection of my rights is more important than anything else"

Let me get this straight - Joe balks at the prospect of paying a slightly higher marginal rate on income over 250K to offset tax cuts on those making < 250K (and thus becomes famous and probably rich for doing so) and you, a Democrat, are willing to abandon all other issues because of a partisan investigation of our Joe - which wasn't done by the Democrats, but by the media.

Methinks, vaproud, that you are either a closet racist or a Rebub in drag. Enjoy the week.

Posted by: sam99686 | November 2, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

!!! VIDEO YOUR VOTE !!!

Voting machines in Virginia are acting up.

Flipping from Democratic Party candidates and tickets to Republican ones.

Here is a lady happened to:

This may also happen in other states.

This is a video of the vote flipping taking place:

REPORT ALL ERRORS TO POLL WORKERS! There should be a Poll Worker for each party where you vote.

Also report it to your Democratic Party representatives.

When you vote VIDEO YOUR VOTE if you can.

Find out more here:

If you cannot video your vote. Take a pen and paper with you. Note down the time you voted and what happened. Take the name and any ID number of the poll worker you spoke to. Check their Poll worker ID card.

Contact your local Democratic party representatives and let them know.

If you can vote early.

If you are realy worried about your vote or registration then register with the Democratic Party to have your vote registration verified and get support numbers etc.

Help your neighbours, volunteer for the Democratic Party get out the vote campaign.

Posted by: walker1 | November 2, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I register independent but have always voted GOP for president, even both times with W. However, I woke up to Obama, and then McCain let me escape all guilt for voting Dem when he picked Palin as his VP. Folks, we've tried stupid and it didn't work. Let's not make that mistake again.

Posted by: ScoutieDog | November 2, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I agree with all the comments that state that Obama is the candidate to vote for. I do not want my country run by a lying, greedy woman chasing tyrant who's only motive is himself. Look at what he did to his first wife! It is unforgivable. He was proud of all of his infidelities and lies. His main and only motive in life is himself, the CHEATING, GREEDY and CORRUPT John McCain.

Posted by: LKM2 | November 2, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LKM2 | November 2, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA/BIDEN is the choice for AMERICA! He stands for truth, diplomacy, supporting the middleclass. We don't need a corrupted liar in office like John McCain!!!

Posted by: LKM2 | November 2, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I am a proud Virgina Republican That voted for W. twice. Although I would never have thought I would vote for someone like Barack Obama,I can't support McCain he turned his back on W. and Palin is not fit to be dog catcher should anything happen to the 72 year young McCain.

Posted by: beatrickcannon | November 2, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

===========

We'll find out in a couple of days, but I'd point out a couple of things:

1. Polling is done robotically now. You don't talk to a person. You talk to a recording and key in your responses.

2. Half of the undecideds don't vote at all. The other half vote on the basis of who seems to have the momentum. That's why there's so much jockeying at the end. This time, neither candidate seems to have the momentum. Obama is up by an average of 7%, and it hasn't changed.

3. Black, Hispanic, and young voters are undercounted in most polls, and they are all strongly pro-Obama.

Posted by: OriginalMagicDog | November 2, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

==============

Joe the Plumber is the perfect Republican. He's not a plumber, he is delinquent on his taxes, he lied about buying the business, and his name's not Joe.

Posted by: OriginalMagicDog | November 2, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Please, try to convince hispanic people that voting Nobama is the SAME thing to live under the most dangerous and leftist Latin American regimes!

I propose this message:

"Tú, o tus familiares antes que tú, han venido a los Estados Unidos para hacer realidad TU Sueño Americano. Algo que era imposible en tu país porque no se respetaba el derecho de propiedad, el valor de tu trabajo y los impuestos eran insoportablemente altos.
¿Quieres lo mismo para América? ¿Quieres un presidente que se parezca a Castro, Chávez, Kirchner o Morales para "distribuir la (TU) riqueza? ¿Quieres que tu presidente hable con terroristas, o sus aliados, que hicieron daño a tu país, probablemente matando a amigos tuyos?
Si quieres esto, Nobama es tu candidato.
Pero si quieres trabajar duro para alcanzar tu Sueño Americano, deja atrás tu pasado y pon tu país primero ¡Vota McCain/Palin 08'!"

"You, or your relatives before, have arriving to the United States to make YOUR American Dream a reality. It was impossible in your country, because governement do not respect your property, your efforts and taxes were very high.
Do You want the same thing to America? Do You want a president similar to Castro, Chavez, Kirchner or Morales to "spreading the (YOUR) wealth"? Do You want a president who speaking with terrorists, or their allies, that made damage to YOUR country, probably to your own friends?
If you want, that, Nobama is your candidate.
But if You want to work hard to obtain your American Dream, put your past last and your country first. Vote MacCain/Palin 08!"

Posted by: Solyd_Truth | November 2, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't want American people suffer the same things than me and my country.
We have had a very important and big country until the first years of the 20th Century.
We had our own "Madison": Juan Bautista Alberdi.
We had our own "Teddy Roosevelt": Julio Argentino Roca.
We had a great Constitution than the American one... but populism, socialism and the "spreading the wealth" defeated our spirit of free citizens!

Unfortunately, We couldn´t have our own Ronald Reagan. But We have had Perón and his two lovely wifes (Evita and Isabelita), Che Guevara, terrorists like Firmenich and Santucho, etcetera. Most of our "democratic" presidents (Alfonsín, Duhalde and the Kichners) decided an "abstention" vote when the United States propose some investigations to prove crimes, tortures againsts Cuban citizens in order to protect Fidel Castros' regime.
Please STOP Nobama!!! The United States must be continue being a Lighthouse of FREEDOM to the entire world!

Posted by: Solyd_Truth | November 2, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Hi, my fellow Americans!
I'm 40 years old, writting from Argentina. I always support GOP candidates in my coutry (It is normally unusual).
I shout NO NO NOBAMA! And I say: Vote McCain/Palin 08!
Let me tell you about the situation of my country. We are currently rule by the Kirchners, a Chavez's very good close friends.
The Kirchners were members of a terrorist organization in the 70's: Montoneros. They have a lot of ministers, secretaries of state, and public employees, who were members of differente terrorist groups between the last 60's and the middle 70's (Montoneros, ERP, FAR... all of them enemies of the United States).
Kircher said at the United Nation's Assemebly he is "a son of the Madres de Plaza de Mayo (Mayo Square's Mothers)". He and his wife are all the time joining different meetings with Hebe de Bonafini, a woman who said "Cheers" wiht islamic terrorist destroyed Thin Towers on 11-S-2001. Bonafini adopted a man, Sergio Shocklender, who killed their parents in 1981. Chavez an Bonafini were together in different meetings with Fidel Castro.
Bruce Springsteen, a Nobama supporter, participated with Sting and Peter Gabriel in a rock concert in Argentina (1988) where they were dancing and singing with Bonafini's Madres de Plaza de Mayo.
Kirchner, Chavez, Evo Morales and another Latin American characters are speaking all the time about the "unfare distribution of the wealth"... as Nobama!
Kirchner, Chavez, Evo Morales and another Latin American characters are saying "we must to keep dialogue" with Iran, ETA, FARC... as Nobama!

Please STOP Nobama if you don's convert USA in a leftist extension of Latin America!

Good Bless you! And God Bless America!

Carson Marsh

P.S.: Excuse me if I made some mistakes. My Spanish is better than my English.

Posted by: Solyd_Truth | November 2, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse