You Say He's Just A...

Rosalind Helderman

First Bill Clinton does robocalls for Arlington Democratic candidate Adam Parkhomenko.

Now hip-hop star Biz Markie is wading into the Virginia governor's race. That's right, Biz, who will perform tonight at the Clarendon Ballroom along with rapper will.i.am for Terry McAuliffe, recorded a phone call for McAuliffe to advertise the events.

bizmarkie.jpg

Biz Markie gets down with the Rev. Al Sharpton in Boston on the eve of the 2004 Democratic National Convention. Click the player below to hear Markie's robocall for the 2009 Terry McAuliffe Campaign for Virginia Governor

According to an Arlington resident who received the call, the hip-hop star best known for the '80s hit "You Say He's Just a Friend," introduced himself as the "diabolical Biz Markie" and then invited recipients to attend.

By Rosalind Helderman  |  May 11, 2009; 12:07 PM ET
Categories:  2009 Governor's Race , Election 2009 , Rosalind Helderman , Terry McAuliffe
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Two Fronts Against McAuliffe
Next: The Money Keeps Rolling In...

Comments

And who said endorsements like these are just about star power, entertainment, and pr?!* And, if you can't pick up on the link between Parkhomenko and McAuliffe, you're not paying attention. Parkhomenko's old boss is McAuliffe's manager and McAuliffe's crowd would really like to turn out the vote for McAuliffe in Northern Virginia where Moran is looking to score big. So... McAuliffe's best friend, Bill Clinton, endorses a 23 year old website developer hoping to do just that. A lot of folks have picked up on this and Clinton's endorsement is turning people off as a result.

Posted by: ChrisD4 | May 11, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

When McAuliffe has an Eastern's ad, then I will start to pay attention.

Posted by: Natstural | May 11, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

It is too bad that politicians continue to exempt themselves from Do Not Call law.

StopPoliticalCalls.org is fighting for the privacy of the American voter.

1 - Creating a Political Do Not Call Registry
2 - Testifying in the US Senate about robo calls (Sen. Feinstein’s Robocall Privacy Act)
3 - Forcing states to enforce existing robo call laws (CA, MN, NJ, etc..)
4 - Getting politicians to take a do not robo call pledge (7 have)

Here is a quote from a member recently:

"I'm a shift worker, working variable shifts. I depend on my sleep to be able to do my job safely and efficiently. I'm a locomotive engineer. Imagine the disaster were I to fall asleep, operating a freight train carrying hazardous materials in your neighborhood, due to fatigue from being awoken in my middle of the night on a continuous basis during election season. Please stop.."

Learn more.

Shaun Dakin
CEO
A non-profit fighting for the privacy of the American voter

Posted by: shimane1 | May 11, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

If I lived in the 47th (I don't--I live in the 44th) I would be voting for Miles Grant. He has associated with some creepy folks of late, but he sure is right on the issues and to me, represents exactly where Virginia should be moving, and how Virginia will one day make its mountainous and rural regions prosperous places again.

Posted by: DouginMountVernon | May 11, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Terry McAulliffe: born & raised in Syracuse, NY.
Biz Markie: born & raised in NYC.
Will.I.Am: born & raised in LA.

Where's the coverage of the home-grown Virginians?? I certainly hope this race isn't just handed to Terry McAulliffe because he has all the high-wattage celebrities with him. That's certainly how it's seeming at the moment. Why should I care what Biz Markie or Will.I.Am think about how MY state should be run??

Posted by: blahblah6b | May 11, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Doug, I've been following the 47th race pretty closely and I'm not sure what creepy people you're talking about. If there's something up it'd be good to know before picking a candidate.

Posted by: Distantantennas | May 11, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

The You Tube link to The Biz Markie is totally rad.

Rosalind Helderman is my new favorite Washington Post reporter.

Posted by: FederalGraphics | May 11, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Sorry you were not at the Clarendon Ballroom this evening. It was packed with happy enthusiastic Terry McAuliffe supporters. It was a rocking good time.

Don't forget will.i.am recorded the Yes WE Can song for now President Obama. Viewed 55 million times. Will.i.am has been Terry McAuliffe's friend and a great supporter of Democrats for years.

Democrats are a big tent family. In Virginia we don't hold exclusive by invitation only conventions to select our candidates. We have a primary on June 9 where every Virginia voter can choose his/her choice to be the Democratic nominee. And we will unite behind the winner on June 10 to beat the Republican who is wrong for the times and has been wrong on the issues for years. I'll cast my vote for Terry McAuliffe.

Terry McAuliffe is the candidate with the executive, management and leadership abilities to be the next in a series of great Democratic governors most recently Mark Warner and Tim Kaine. He will work tirelessly to improve education all over Virginia and bring good jobs to Virginia.

Posted by: Willis3 | May 11, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse