McDonnell: Women Support Me

Rosalind Helderman

* Earlier: Deeds Camp: Our Phones Are Ringing Off the Hook *

We hear Bob McDonnell's response to the story about his thesis is coming soon. It will feature quotes from women who back his efforts, who talk about how supportive he has been of working women...

UPDATE: You can find this release here.

The women defending McDonnell include Judy Wason Ford, head of Virginians for McDonnell and formerly head of Virginians for (Mark) Warner. "Bob has always respected and supported working women and will continue to do so. Virginians are worried about the future, not a decades-old academic paper," writes Wason, who identifies herself as a pro-choice woman.

Other women include Janet Polarek, a top McDonnell aide who managed his 2005 attorney general's campaign, commonwealth attorneys, a deputy attorney general, and business leaders.

By Rosalind Helderman  |  August 31, 2009; 12:26 PM ET
Categories:  2009 Governor's Race , Creigh Deeds , Election 2009 , Robert F. McDonnell , Rosalind Helderman
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Deeds Camp: Our Phones Are Ringing Off the Hook
Next: Who is Jennifer? Another Case of Inter-Campaign Trickery

Comments

At least we can read this 18 year old thesis and compare to McDonnell's current thoughts and recent actions.

We are still unable to read the Thesis of President Obama. Can anyone explain that please?? Have you looked at his "special appointments" lately?

McDonnell is the better choice for Virginia at this critical time.

Posted by: independantlady | August 31, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

At a time when we have a U.S. Supreme Court nearly divided evenly over a woman's contitutional right to make her own decisions about abortion, voters cannot trust Bob McDonnell as governor. If Roe v. Wade were overturned, Bob McDonnell would be using everything in his power to criminalize women who get abortions and doctors who perform the procedure. His 35 bills in the General Assembly to restrict abortions is clear testament to his intentions. Some of these could even be implemented without a new Supreme Court ruling. Based on Bob McDonnell's years in the General Assembly, he would make this one of his highest priorities.

Posted by: Viewpoint2 | August 31, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

A leapord can't change its spots.

Posted by: jckdoors | August 31, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Quoting:

McDonnell is the better choice for Virginia at this critical time.

Posted by: independantlady | August 31, 2009 1:46 PM

------

Dear independantlady,

President Obama is not running for office right now, so that's irrelevant. Bob McDonnell is, so his political views and track record are. Voters are not choosing between Obama and McDonnell. They are choosing between Deeds and McDonnell.

Creigh Deeds has a mastery of Virginia politics and issues and an unblemished record of support for education. By contrast, McDonnell seeks to rob to solve the transportation crisis, instead of finding a way to support both adequate roads and strong education for the state.

Collectively, Creigh Deeds, Jody Wagner, and Steve Shannon represent every part of the commonwealth, from the rural counties to Virgina Beach to Northern Virginia. They will bring the state together to solve its problems instead of pitting rural vs. urban like so many Virginia politicians do.

But that said, what thesis by Obama are you referring to? Usually these are only required for a master's thesis.

Bob McDonnell had to write his thesis to get his M.A. in public policy. Barack Obama does not have a master's degree (M.A.), although he does have a law degree from Harvard. To the best of my knowledge, no thesis is required or normally written for a law degree.

There is at least one remaining U.S. college that requires an undergraduate thesis of all its students. That is Princeton. Michelle Obama went to Princeton, so like every Princeton senior, she wrote a thesis at the undergraduate level. It is easily available in its entirety online and you can read it.

Unlike his wife, Barack Obama did not go to Princeton, so again, as far as I know, he would not have had to write a thesis to get his bachelor's (college) degree. He is a graduate of Columbia University instead.

If you could list the degree, college or university, and year for which you think Obama did, for whatever reason, write a thesis, that would be a big step forward. I don't understand what you can be talking about, but I am happy to learn from you as to the specifics of year, date, and school -- if there actually are any.

If, instead, you would simply like to see past writings by Obama, look for Dreams from My Father (written right out of law school, long before he ran for office), past issues of the Harvard Law Review when he was its editor as a top Harvard Law student, and at least one article they've found that he wrote for the student newspaper at Columbia. There's also a great video of a restaurant review in Chicago he did for local cable long ago.

Posted by: fairfaxvoter | August 31, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"Bob has always respected and supported working women and will continue to do so."

How far back does "always" go? Is always when he was a little kid? Always when he was in undergrad in his 20s? Does it skip his 30's when he wrote that "working women are ...detrimental to the family." I wouldn't call that "support."

Or maybe "always" means for the past year when he's been running for Governor.

I wish I could use Republican definitions for words. It's so much easier than real English.

Posted by: antoniomelias | August 31, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Bob McDonnell's ideas on women's rights and women's place in society are so primitive and out of date, you might as well start covering those heads and appear modest before the morality police have words with you.

Birth Control?? In his mind it has nothing to do with a couples ability to plan a family but only a license for wanton women to have sex. Barefoot and pregnant. That's progressive thinking.

Keep extremist right wing evangelicals out of office. They're wrong for America.

Posted by: thebobbob | August 31, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

This "issue" is beyond absurd. Virginians who are out of work, whose homes lost 1/2 their value, or who are stuck in traffic will not and do not give a rat's hoo-ha about some 20 year old thesis.

McDonnell has an 18 year record to draw from- during which he sponsored more than 400 bills, of which 8 dealt in some fashion with abortion. 8 out of 400, none during his time as AG. This does not sound like a zealot to me.

Deeds has ZERO plans or ideas for economic development or transportation. ZERO. Not even among the 8 key issues on his website! You may like McD's plans or you may not, but give him credit for thinking outside the box and putting forward bold solutions. Deeds put forward NO solutions on the 2 most important topics of the day!

Bottom line, McDonnell has all the ideas. Deeds is trying to gin up all this irrelevant social division crapola because he has nothing else. If it was a battle of ideas and issues, that's one thing. But Deeds has no ideas and is trying to lazily skate by on one of the most divisive social issues out there.

Posted by: SpotsySteve | August 31, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

SpotsySteve asks:

"Theoretically, let's say Jerry Falwell himself were running- and he had ideas that would sure-fire solve the economic, transportation, and budget crises we're facing. Would Virginians vote for him?"

I certainly hope not. Like all politicians - Dem and Repub alike - Falwell's ideas to solve the economic, transportation, and budget crises would be talked about just until the day of the election. The day after the election, he'd go right back to his "real" platform, which would be to outlaw abortion, criminalize homosexuality, and make guns free and mandatory for everybody.

Oh don't get me wrong. If you had put a Dem's name in there, that person would be talking economy, transportation, and budget right up until the day of the election. The day after that election, their "real" platform would come out, which would be abortions on demand, gays would be at city hall getting married that day, and only the military and police would have guns.

The point is, McDonnell obviously knew from his days back at Pat Robertson University that he was going to go into politics. Since that long ago, he's been telling people just what he thinks they want to hear and writing just what he thinks they want to read. Just like every other politician.

Posted by: scooter964 | August 31, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Well said fairfaxvoter, well said indeed! Though I would add that some law schools (such as Maryland, where I went) do require a thesis-like paper. I guess it's good I'm not running for office, as I would have no idea where to even find my old cert paper (if in fact it even still exists out there somewhere)!

PS - if "independantlady" is in fact independent, why is there an "a" in there where it doesn't belog?

Posted by: stodge | August 31, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Quoting from SpotsySteve:

"Deeds has ZERO plans or ideas for economic development or transportation. ZERO. Not even among the 8 key issues on his website!"

That is simply untrue. If you click on the "Issues" header on Deeds' website, the FIRST issue that comes up is his detailed plan for Virginia's economy. A major part of Deeds' economic plan is his innovative approach to solving Virginia's transportation challenges. Deeds understands that transportation solutions are closely tied with improving the economy and creating jobs.

Here is the link to the plan: http://deedsforvirginia.com/Issues/Economy

Posted by: michaelhbaer | August 31, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

If you're socially moderate to liberal person, it's hard to imagine voting for McDonnell despite Deeds' poorly run campaign.

Posted by: Corn_Laden | August 31, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Hari Sevugan, (a/the) DNC spokesman on this matter appears to be the guy who wrote the text of the gist of the Post criticism of McDonnell.

Worth recalling that ol' Hari here (who was born abroad) comes from a country where the dominant religion (of which he's a part) takes little boys and castrates them so they may be used as temple prostitutes.

Women in many cults part of that dominant religion subject women to female genital mutilation.

I think we know what the Democrats have in mind for women should they take over Virginia, and it ain't nice.

BTW, Hari, and the Macaca guy, and another guy with the same hairdo, from the same place, shot up 18 people on the streets of Montreal 2 years ago. This crowd sounds more like they're into Khali than anything they might have picked up visiting a Sunday school with a friend, so DO NOT TRUST THEM or the Washington Post.

Posted by: muawiyah | August 31, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

SpotsySteve asks:

As the saying goes, Mussolini made the trains run on time.

Posted by: valandsend | August 31, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

SpotsySteve:
McDonnell's transportation "plan": is a shell game that diverts money currently going to K-12; is based on wildly unrealistic scenarios re: potential off shore oil revenues and is based on other kooky ideas. McDonnell follows in a long line of "free lunch" Republicans who insist that we can have it all without having to raise revenue (taxes). I don't love taxes but people like McDonnell are engaged in the creation and spread of deliberate prevarications with schemes like this...

Posted by: jmdavis1 | August 31, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Wow, folks seemed to jump on one theoretical question and did not say anything about the rest of my post- guess everybody agrees with the remainder.

Except for michaellhbaer, whose reply is fair so I thought I'd reply to it. One of the interesting storylines of this campaign is the emergence of "Me Too" Deeds, where McDonnell will come out one day with one detailled innovative plan and deeds comes out 2 days later and says, essentially, "me too".

Apparently, his line about figuring out what he would do with the economy and transportation AFTER he got elected bombed, so he had to put something out. And the best plan out there was McDonnell's, so he decided to copy that one...

...except there are no details to it. Example:

"Bring high-speed rail to Virginia."
-which everyone is for, devil is in how to pay for it

"Expand traditional freight and passenger rail."
-which is enormously expensive or else it would have been done by now

"Promote smarter land use planning."
-which he has no control over as governor

BUT the most important part of these so-called "plans" is that Deeds is not running on them! Instead he's apparently running on abortions for everyone, govt-funded abortions, abortions morning noon and night.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but by definition if what determines your vote exclusively is abortion, doesn't THAT make you out of the mainstream? Most people- more than 92%- base their vote on something else. I'd say the candidate running on abortion is the extremist. The candidate running on jobs is the pragmatic.

Just remember: 8 out of 400. This does not an extremist make, and clearly shows it isn't even a priority.

Pragmatic politicians think of ideas and propose bold solutions. Be honest, who is the problem-solver and who is the extremist: the guy with all the detailled plans on economic recovery and jobs, or the guy running on abortion and trying to parrot the first one?

I think, in your heart of hearts, you know the answer. Be bold. Vote McDonnell.

Posted by: SpotsySteve | August 31, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Although I've generally been laid back during many elections, McDonnell is convincing me that I should be more proactive. I grew up in the Reagan years when he made the initial comments in his thesis and nothing he has done since convinces me that there is a significant change in his opinions, despite his protestations.

Posted by: abicat | August 31, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm voting for the guy who can get things done. Go Bob Go.

What amazes me totally is how the Dems picked Creigh (Do Nothing) Deeds as their nominee. I really thought Terry McAuliffe would have sown that one up, but apparently the people in the rest of VA though McAuliffe was too slick.

Posted by: mary1961 | August 31, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Look for this story to be front page above the fold in tomorrow's state run, leftist water carrying, creigh deeds humping, washington compost. Won't work compost, Obama taught the country an enormous lesson about buying into the razzle dazzle..

Posted by: SMWE357 | August 31, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I seem to remember that the hangmans noose George Allen kept in his office didn't mean anything either. It wasn't what HE was all about. The voters thought differently. Allen's big lead turned to poo when we caught a glimpse of the unguarded man.
I haven't read very far through this manifesto, but so far it is much more troubling than anything I ever suspected George Allen of.

Posted by: femocrat | August 31, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

SpotsySteve wrote:

Hey, spotsy, it's not 8 of 400, it's 35. Maybe McDonnell can't even tell the truth about his own record, but there's no need for you to repeat a falsehood.

Posted by: sensible | August 31, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

"Theoretically, let's say Jerry Falwell himself were running- and he had ideas that would sure-fire solve the economic, transportation, and budget crises we're facing. Would Virginians vote for him? I would think so, in this environment."

Well I sure wouldn't.

You _do_ know who made the trains run on time, don't you?

Posted by: hitpoints | August 31, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

1. Jerry Falwell is a long way from Benito Mussolini, and I suspect anyone who is not a hardcore Dem would say as much. In fact the comparison sort of reminds me of a certain disastrous statement that Kaine wouldn't execute Hitler.

2. I did get the numbers wrong- but it was 8 out of more than 500 bills he sponsored or co-sponsored. Now, he may have voted for others, but let's at least try to keep the facts straight.

I'm amused by the abortion zealots trying to blow this thing up. Never mind that they STILL can't explain why Deeds keeps talking about abortion in the midst of a terrible economic crisis coupled with budgetary concerns. No ideas of his own to espouse, keeps focusing on divisive social issues- and all McDonnell wants to talk about is jobs. Guess people like femocrat are part of the out-of-the-mainstreamers who vote on abortion alone.

Me? I'll vote for the guy who knows to keep his eye on the ball. But sure, by all means you can back the guy who is criticizing the color paint of the house that's on fire.

Posted by: SpotsySteve | August 31, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

McDonnell is a typical do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do repug.

I would never vote for this fundie throwback.

Posted by: solsticebelle | August 31, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

My attitudes have changed significantly over the last 3 decades, certainly since I left school and lived a well-rounded life. What I would like to hear from McDonnell is what has informed his values changes. Does having daughters change it? Were there voters who helped him see the light. I don't want to hear political rhetoric. Use examples to explain the differences from the thesis.

Posted by: KeyConcepts | August 31, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

KeyConcepts, that is something I'd like to hear too. His eldest daughter had been born at that point but she was young, and his other 2 daughters had not yet been born. I am a new father myself and I can't even describe the ways it changed my life.

I can only imagine his might have been changed as well.

Posted by: SpotsySteve | August 31, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Women? Maybe. But Bob McDonnell just lost the crucial Virginia fornicator vote.

See:

Posted by: MikeLicht | September 1, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

McDonnell, I will be more than glad to send you my next mortgage payment. Please, give me your address or would it be easier to forward it to your office. I'd love nothing more than to be able to stay home, bleach my hair blonde, act like an mindless idiot, and cook for you - though I must warn you, since I bothered to obtain an education, I'm a terrible cook.

Posted by: pilarccs1 | September 1, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse